Author Topic: No Noise November  (Read 3719 times)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
No Noise November
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »
I'm going to remove any radio, podcasts, and music from my ears for a month. The biggest impact to me is the drive to work and the morning routine. Normally, I'd have something blaring in my ears the whole time. It kind of reminded me of the wife of Guy Montag in Farenheit 451. She always had that noise in her ears. I'm going to get away from that for November and would love it if anyone else joined me.

I'll be keeping track over at my blog, but figured that the folk over here might appreciate it a bit more than the average Joe.

http://flippingadollar.com/no-noise-november-challenge/

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: No Noise November
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
I'd totally be up for this if there was a way to also mute my neighbor's dogs, yard maintenance equipment, passing cars with booming stereos, etc...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
I'm in. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it's gotten to a point where I feel uncomfortable without a podcast playing in my ear.

The rest of the time I listen to music so I'll definitely benefit from some silence and alone time with my thoughts :)

Awesome! It's funny because a couple of my blog readers basically said "there's no way I could go without.my motivational podcasts and books!" Um, that's the best reason to.try it out. I heard the same argument for cable from people for years.
First, you don't need them.
Second, I can't imagine they are motivating you go do that much...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
I'd totally be up for this if there was a way to also mute my neighbor's dogs, yard maintenance equipment, passing cars with booming stereos, etc...

Hah! Maybe this could give you a new found appreciation for all of those noises?

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
Ugg! The frickin' yard maintenance equipment! It's actually worse than the nearby airport AND police department!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
Ugg! The frickin' yard maintenance equipment! It's actually worse than the nearby airport AND police department!

Hmm... is it worse to have a neighbor who maintains their yard too much or not enough?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »
I was hoping you had figured out a way to get your neighbors to sign on to a quiet month.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 04:17:37 AM »
I was hoping you had figured out a way to get your neighbors to sign on to a quiet month.

LMAO no but I did get my neighbor to stop bugging me for my proxy vote for our HOA meeting. I'll be there thanks.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
This is basically my life - the default for any noise-producer is off.  No cable, so TV only when I hook it up to the lap-top.  No good radio reception (joys of rural living) so that also means turning on a computer to listen on-line.  Car radio is normally off.  Really, our normal environments are so noisy, it is a relief to be able to not have to listen.

If anyone has access to a decibel meter, it is really amazing to see the loud noises that we take for granted in our lives.  I really notice how noisy it is in town when I go, since my usual life is so quiet. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
This is basically my life - the default for any noise-producer is off.  No cable, so TV only when I hook it up to the lap-top.  No good radio reception (joys of rural living) so that also means turning on a computer to listen on-line.  Car radio is normally off.  Really, our normal environments are so noisy, it is a relief to be able to not have to listen.

If anyone has access to a decibel meter, it is really amazing to see the loud noises that we take for granted in our lives.  I really notice how noisy it is in town when I go, since my usual life is so quiet.

That's awesome. The car radio is the most noticeable for me. I also notice at work whenever the air handler goes down. Eerily quiet.