Author Topic: No groceries in January  (Read 5229 times)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
No groceries in January
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
I'm slowly bringing my GF around to the MMM ways. We are cleaning up her student debt, refinancing loans to lower interest (and raising payments to erase them faster), turning down the heat, second hand clothes shopping, cooking at home, and drinking at home too (in a past life, I was a bartender for 8 years).

She loves the organic milk, produce, etc. We've changed stores to Aldi, where the selection is smaller, but the prices are around half what even the discount stores have to offer. After new years, I told her we should try to spend even less. She agreed and suggested that we don't buy any groceries in January. I admit, I was apprehensive, as the kitchen is not all that large, and since we eat out less, I cook more at home. There were many items that had stacked up in the years prior to her meeting me that she bought and hadn't used. We're trying to burn thru those items so we can fit more of what we want.

But we are doing it. It's Jan 20th, and other than milk and eggs, which I have switched to "normal" non-organic (cheaper) options, We haven't spent a dime at the grocery store. The cupboards still have food. The freezer still has meat. We are starting to get to the point where dinner is no longer determined by what I want, but by what we have. I fully expect to make it to the 31st, having only bought 12 eggs and 1 gallon of milk all month.

Then the question is: how much will be left on 2/1 ?

viper155

• Bristles
Re: No groceries in January
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
Pretty cool! I've been thinking of doing the same. I could probably run my house, just me and the DW, for a couple of months with no more than milk and egg purchases. On a side note....I have a friend that needed to lose weigh. He dieted but also decided not to eat ANYTHING on wednesdays. He lost a ton of weight and and he said he saved a nice chunk of change at the same time. He said, at first, that thursdays were a little difficult but after a while he got used to it and does not binge eat anymore.

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
So no fresh veggies/fruits? I suppose frozen veggies are ok, but I don't think they're nearly as tasty as fresh. I'd be curious to hear some of your menus for the past few days.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
some of the selected items were:

Pan seared pork chops over garlic herb orzo and frozen green beans
beef taco/buritto/fajita w/ jalepeno corn bread
home-made pizza w/ pork sausage, peppers, tomatoes
lemon pepper tilapia on orzo
baked apple cinnamon onion pork chops, side pesto pasta
Giant bacon grease brownie baked in cast iron bacon skillet
permutations of pancakes with beer,fruits,nuts,chocolate,bacon
pan seared sirloin, green beans, twice baked shell pasta w/ marinara and cheese
Banana/orange/blueberry smoothies
lunch meat + tomato + exotic cheese melt w/ spinach walnut salad
Chili
Filet steak and garlic rosemary whipped potatoes, broccoli
Smoked amish pork chops w/ cranberry red pepper glaze, baked potato.

Tonight i'm cooking for my parents who happen to be in town, and it will be
baked red pepper / pineapple hawiian pork chops
pan fried herb+ garlic potato cubes
sweet pea orzo
old grand dad 114 old fashioneds

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
So no fresh veggies/fruits? I suppose frozen veggies are ok, but I don't think they're nearly as tasty as fresh. I'd be curious to hear some of your menus for the past few days.
There never really was anything fresh here. Grocery store produce leaves a lot to be desired, so we are waiting for the farmers market to reopen.  We are nearly out of veggies, so I suspect I may have to purchase $2-3 worth of frozen ones before month end.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »

I feel like there's part of this story you're not telling us.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
Yeah Cressida, I feel the same way.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

There was brownie mix in the cupboard that had to be almost 6 months old.
We had made 1lb of bacon for breakfast (family was visiting).
Instead of pouring bacon grease down drain, I subbed it for the vegetable oil that the brownie box called for.
Then because I didn't want to dirty another pan, I poured the batter into the cast iron skillet and used that as the "baking pan". Bonus: nothing stuck at all. I flipped it over and had a nice round 10" brownie disc.

Last night I didn't make the orzo. Found some split wild rice that I thought would go better with the peas. Everything else was as planned, and there was nothing left.

As for pancakes, I never put water in for the liquid. Milk, apple juice, last nights unfinished beer. It all lends a different flavor.
Today for my parents (again, visiting), we made bisquick pancakes with apple cider as the liquid. Added canned blueberries and some crushed walnuts from the pantry.  Breakfast success.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
There was brownie mix in the cupboard that had to be almost 6 months old.
We had made 1lb of bacon for breakfast (family was visiting).
Instead of pouring bacon grease down drain, I subbed it for the vegetable oil that the brownie box called for.
Then because I didn't want to dirty another pan, I poured the batter into the cast iron skillet and used that as the "baking pan". Bonus: nothing stuck at all. I flipped it over and had a nice round 10" brownie disc.

That makes SO much more sense. Somehow I read it as "a giant brownie made of bacon grease." haha

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »
As for pancakes, I never put water in for the liquid. Milk, apple juice, last nights unfinished beer. It all lends a different flavor.
Today for my parents (again, visiting), we made bisquick pancakes with apple cider as the liquid. Added canned blueberries and some crushed walnuts from the pantry.  Breakfast success.

Love your idea for pancake hacks! We usually use milk, but I haven't been buying it - so haven't been making pancakes.

I've been enjoying reading about your no spending month :)

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:24:13 AM »
Sorry guys, but "spending down" all your food stocks sounds like a very UNfrugal thing to do.  When you find yourselves completely out of everything, then what?  How are you going to avoid having to pay full retail to replenish your food stocks (since by definition you will have no reserves to fall back on)?

Our approach to cost-efficient groceries shopping is entirely opposite.  We STOCK up on sales, and we stay stocked up so we can always be eating at a discount.  :)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
Sorry guys, but "spending down" all your food stocks sounds like a very UNfrugal thing to do.  When you find yourselves completely out of everything, then what?  How are you going to avoid having to pay full retail to replenish your food stocks (since by definition you will have no reserves to fall back on)?

Our approach to cost-efficient groceries shopping is entirely opposite.  We STOCK up on sales, and we stay stocked up so we can always be eating at a discount.  :)

Reserves? Stocks? I am not a warehouse store.
Are you preparing for the zombie apocalypse? We are not, and in the event it happens, I will simply eat the neighbors.
I have ONE cupboard that is 12" deep, 26" wide, and 26" tall. We don't have space to "stock up" like you.
Do you also stand in line on black friday to "save" money because it's a "sale"?

We are getting rid of (by eating) a bunch of items that in a regular month wouldn't even be thought about. This will leave us more space for organization and food that we prefer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:13:21 AM by SpicyMcHaggus »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

I have to admit that I also like to eat down my food storage.  I had an issue with food waste when I tried to stock up, so you are probably much better at managing your food stash.

To be honest, I don't stock up on sale items.  I buy in-season fruits and vegetables.  The rest of our shopping list isn't dictated by sales or coupons.  We spend about $200-$250/month for groceries (including paper products, cleaning products, and personal care items) for 2 adults.  I'm happy with our spending, so the extra effort of stockpiling and sales seems too bothersome. 

SpicyMcHaggus, I think your challenge is badass!  I frequently participate in the eat down your food gauntlet.  The other posters have helped with recipes and suggestions of how to use random items that I've acquired.  You should consider joining us to continue eating down your food stash http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/eat-all-the-food-in-your-house-take-2/

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »

Love your idea for pancake hacks! We usually use milk, but I haven't been buying it - so haven't been making pancakes.

I've been enjoying reading about your no spending month :)

Pancakes are actually perfectly good made with water instead of milk. They are actually fluffier.

A friend of mine grew up in a very poor household, and her mother always told her that pancakes were fluffier when made with water. So that's how she makes pancakes, even though she can afford milk, and she has no sense of why her mother told her that. But the funny things is that it is true! Presumably, you are losing nutritional value (maybe a sixth of a cup of milk per pancake). If your diet is protein rich, not important.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »
I have no problem using milk;
The half finished beer is better spent on breakfast than being poured down the drain.
Likewise for the apple cider. I may make some "apple pie" liquor out of it.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
It's the 2nd of Feb. We went grocery shopping Saturday (yes, a day early... but didn't want to be out on Superbowl sunday with the crowds).   Spent $38 at Aldi's on milk, eggs, bread, and staples that will continue to allow us to burn down the stockpile that still remains. That $38 should get us thru another week or two.

So far, only luxury spending has been a bottle of Rittenhouse rye whiskey. I like to try different kinds.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!