Author Topic: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!  (Read 189468 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Re: No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #700 on: April 07, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
PS - did I catch everyone up on stars? Let me know if I’ve missed you!

Where's the post with the stars?  As I am currently working my way through the "meh" teas, I want to gaze upon the wonder of my stars!!!

Page 1! Original OP post :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #701 on: April 07, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
@lifejoy I'm with you all the way on the conflicting emotions about missing out on great jewelry deals. Maybe you could try a different perspective to help you stay strong and succeed in this challenge - like, pulling the mama card...
Do you want to be the lady with the most beautiful diamond collection or the lady who teaches baby joy about finances, core values and what really matters in life?
Doesn't mean you can't own an awesome diamond collection, but it does mean impulse control and believe me I know how hard that is.

It's all about choices and different perspectives. I think what has helped me the most with resisting the "deal of a lifetime" temptation is that I have set other priorities. Clear goals that are important and enticing to me. The longer I'm resisting impulse buying the more I can see the direct impact on my finances.
That, in turn, re-affirms my goal of re-directing my money to one of my core values, i.e. travel and a true financial need, a solid financial base for retirement that I'd like to cement further.

Temptation lurks everywhere and it is a good thing we committed to a full year, because I don't think three months is enough to keep me from going rogue once again.
In that vein, it has been six months since I ordered jewelry from one channel and four months since I ordered jewelry from the other jewelry channel. I looked it up this morning. I nearly caved and picked up a ring on clearance:(

I'll look more seriously into selling once I get back from my trip in September, maybe close to the holidays is a better time to sell gemstones and jewelry anyway.
It's not like I'll never buy another thing, but I am not even thinking about making a list of what I might buy once this challenge is over.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #702 on: April 07, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
PS - did I catch everyone up on stars? Let me know if I’ve missed you! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮

I just checked, I have 2, so that is January and February.  Except for the fibre gift, I  also made it through March.  Whew! 

Pretty stars.  😊

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #703 on: April 07, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »

I just checked, I have 2, so that is January and February.  Except for the fibre gift, I  also made it through March.  Whew! 

Pretty stars. 

Sorry I missed you!! Will add tonight :)

(Tapatalk doesn’t let me so I’ll use my laptop later)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: April 08, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »

Ooh, me!  I haven't bought any clothes at all this year still.  I'm doing much better about chocolate at the store, or at least I was until last week when I went and was bombarded with Easter sales :(  No star for April.  It was a terrible idea, too, because I ate the ENTIRE bag of Cadbury mini eggs all at once instead of portioning it out and then felt so awful.  That's 1200 calories that's basically straight sugar.  Ugh.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #705 on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
Yeah, I also seem to have only two stars, but I've made it three months!!! 

@lifejoy:  Just a little perspective to follow Rosy's thoughts on how to resist temptation.  Last year, I bought myself a StupidCar.  I have wanted it for 20+ years, but I could never justify it.*  And then I realized that we were FI and we had college covered, and we were going to keep working for 6-8 more years anyway, so I bought it.  And the one thing I can tell you is that I enjoy that car so much more because I waited for it.  There is no guilt at all;** I didn't blow money on "stuff" before we both our own future and the kids taken care of, so the purchase did not interfere in any way with our other plans -- basically, I didn't put my own frivolous wants ahead of the big-picture things that were more important to me.  I am free just to enjoy it, without feeling like I am a bad person for wanting it.  Which is really a new thing for me.  And totally fucking awesome.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope that knowing that the enjoyment factor is exponentially higher when you wait until you see all your ducks lined up in a row may provide a little extra fuel.

*Because it is really massively stupid.  And there's barely room for kids in the back seat, much less carseats.

**I believe that guilt is what happens when your actions are inconsistent with your values.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #706 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »

@lifejoy:  Just a little perspective to follow Rosy's thoughts on how to resist temptation.  Last year, I bought myself a StupidCar.  I have wanted it for 20+ years, but I could never justify it.*  And then I realized that we were FI and we had college covered, and we were going to keep working for 6-8 more years anyway, so I bought it.  And the one thing I can tell you is that I enjoy that car so much more because I waited for it.  There is no guilt at all;** I didn't blow money on "stuff" before we both our own future and the kids taken care of, so the purchase did not interfere in any way with our other plans -- basically, I didn't put my own frivolous wants ahead of the big-picture things that were more important to me.  I am free just to enjoy it, without feeling like I am a bad person for wanting it.  Which is really a new thing for me.  And totally fucking awesome.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope that knowing that the enjoyment factor is exponentially higher when you wait until you see all your ducks lined up in a row may provide a little extra fuel.

*Because it is really massively stupid.  And there's barely room for kids in the back seat, much less carseats.

**I believe that guilt is what happens when your actions are inconsistent with your values.

Laura I really, really like your thoughts and I am going to sit with them!

Also I think star #2 is really small and not showing up for people. Are you on a computer or your phone?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
Ah yes, there is another teeny star in there, thanks for highlighting the little one @lifejoy --I was going to say I should have 2 by now too

Going through receipts for taxes is showing me how outrageous some of my spending was last year (art workshops--thousands in fees & supplies).

Now, if I had the money for it that is fine, but I don't and am a fairly low earner in these circles (with minimum retirement savings and currently almost no EF).

But that is changing and I am glad I have recommitted myself to wiser, long-term choices even as summer art workshops beckon. :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: April 09, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »

@Laura33 - I agree 100%. Regretfully, I am the poster child of what not to do when it comes to getting the car you always wanted, especially since it will be my last car purchase ever.

I'd been saving up for two years and had the money to finally let go of my lil ole red 1998. I looked and looked and found the car I really wanted, it was $2000 more than I'd decided on - arbitrarily. I could make the extra $2K happen. I decided not to and instead went another $3K lower than what I'd saved up already.
I came across the deal of a lifetime.

I've regretted it ever since!
I am now the sort of proud owner of a really nice car, 2014 with only 16K miles on it when I bought it, with all the techie stuff I wanted, good gas mileage etc.
I feel like I cheated myself out of the joy of owning the car I wanted and cheated myself out of the reward of my savings - why did I not use them to please myself and allow myself the joy of paying cash for a car I really wanted?

As it happened I ended up buying a second car for a family member a couple of weeks later, I don't feel bad about that at all. I was glad I was in a position to do that. Had I bought the car I wanted, I would not have been able to help. So there is that.

Still, I'm seriously considering trading in my "last new car" that I purchased last August and get the one I really want. Financially speaking probably a really bad idea since I am now still paying for the second car.
But dammit this has been hands down one of the worst decisions I've ever made and I hate having to live with it.

*** REGRET is what happens when you ignore the wishes of your heart that were within your grasp and power to satisfy.

BTW - only twenty more days until star #4 - we can do this!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #709 on: April 09, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »
@Rosy - only 20 more days?? Ok, I can do that. Making it 1/4 of the year is going to feel good!

I’m glad you reminded me of how close I am... last night I was thinking that I could blow this month, and spend a lot of money on clothing and jewellery (like A LOT) and it would help me last again until the rest of the year ;) SNEAKY!

But I’m going to stay strong. I have a clothing swap in 5 days, so that should help. And when I was jonesing for a brooch, I remembered I actually have one! Even better, it’s inherited from my gramma that I was bffs with. This challenge made me stop and think about what I already own. That was good!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #710 on: April 09, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
If the 2nd star is too teeny tiny I am swap it out, but I’d rather not because I’m hoping to find a different star for each month of the year... anyways let me know what you think! (Not only is it pretty to have variety, it helps me see to whom I have already allotted a star for a given month).

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #711 on: April 09, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
I'm not really motivated by cheap - I'm not going to buy a ton more books just because they are 5/$1 instead of $7 each.....my weakness is whether they look interesting.  If they look like something I might enjoy, I want to buy them.  If I'm bored, I buy a book.  If I'm sick, I buy a book.  If my kids are driving me crazy, I buy a book.  If I suddenly decide it might be interesting to learn about Tudor England because I saw a display at Half-Priced books, I buy books.

Finding a balance is HARD.

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #712 on: April 09, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
PS - did I catch everyone up on stars? Let me know if I’ve missed you! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮

Totally late checking in for my March star please. I seem to have turned a corner with my gazingus pin of snacks/junk food while out and about. My husband and I  did the Whole30 elimination diet in the run up to Easter. We felt so fantastic on it that we haven’t wanted to re-introduce any processed foods back into our diets.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #713 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:55 AM »
Awesome work @Duchess!

Meanwhile I am using up some of my bias binding stash to hem my shorts shorter. [The top of them was just right but they go all the way to my knees because I am short.]

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #714 on: April 11, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
I'm not really motivated by cheap - I'm not going to buy a ton more books just because they are 5/$1 instead of $7 each.....my weakness is whether they look interesting.  If they look like something I might enjoy, I want to buy them.  If I'm bored, I buy a book.  If I'm sick, I buy a book.  If my kids are driving me crazy, I buy a book.  If I suddenly decide it might be interesting to learn about Tudor England because I saw a display at Half-Priced books, I buy books.

That's actually an incredibly odd thought, to buy a book because it is cheap? I buy books, because I either want to escape RL or I am interested in a topic or want to expand my knowledge.
Price only interferes if it is a really expensive book, so I might consider the used version instead.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: April 11, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »

That's actually an incredibly odd thought, to buy a book because it is cheap? I buy books, because I either want to escape RL or I am interested in a topic or want to expand my knowledge.
Price only interferes if it is a really expensive book, so I might consider the used version instead.

I know several people who go to library book sales, etc, and buy dozens of books just because they are 10 or 25 cents each.  They probably have an aspiration to one day read them, but for the most part, they don't.  I think it's odd, too.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #716 on: April 11, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »

I know several people who go to library book sales, etc, and buy dozens of books just because they are 10 or 25 cents each.  They probably have an aspiration to one day read them, but for the most part, they don't.  I think it's odd, too.

My wife.  She is slowly curing herself of "saving" books that libraries are throwing out.  I have recently told her I am no loger building book cases, so every book that enters the house requires at least one to go out at the same time.  She can understand the logic, but still struggles with the "loss of knowledge".

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #717 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
On my own gazingus pin, I threw out an old and no longer working drop saw today.  I bought it from work second hand a few years ago, as I was doing some metal work at the time, and it did make the job quicker.  When the tool stopped working last year I thought about replacing it, with a "later" attitude.  But really, I have been able to use my angle grinder for anything I would have used it for, and it was big and heavy.  So out it went today, without a replacement.

We are also moving interstate, and I am having lots of thoughts about appropriate tools to bring with us.  We will eventually be moving back to the farm, so it is a one to two year move.  How much do I need?  What to leave behind?  I am determined to not buy any more tools, so I need to choose wisely.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: April 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
My jewelry addiction is calling...
Well, hell, I am catching myself having a sneak peek at all the jewelry channels, every one of them - no, no and NO!
Really, how bad would it be if I spent just fifty bucks on jewelry, I could pay it off monthly, interest-free, interest free is good, right??
Not going there - it is Pandora's box:) ...

What I really want right now is a thousand dollars to just blow with no rhyme or reason - oh, I am so not mustachian material!
Creampuff! Creampuff!

OK then, breathe Rosy - by tomorrow you'll feel better and stronger about it all ... oh, and do you know that I don't own a single emerald?

Since rationale is failing me, stronger measures are called for, I need an ice cream intervention along with a nice cappuccino  ... it is too lovely a day to waste on TV anyway.
My garden Gazebo, ice cream and cappuccino to the rescue - pfft, emeralds ...

17 more days to our next gold star .....

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #719 on: April 13, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
My jewelry addiction is calling...
Well, hell, I am catching myself having a sneak peek at all the jewelry channels, every one of them - no, no and NO!
Really, how bad would it be if I spent just fifty bucks on jewelry, I could pay it off monthly, interest-free, interest free is good, right??
Not going there - it is Pandora's box:) ...

What I really want right now is a thousand dollars to just blow with no rhyme or reason - oh, I am so not mustachian material!
Creampuff! Creampuff!

OK then, breathe Rosy - by tomorrow you'll feel better and stronger about it all ... oh, and do you know that I don't own a single emerald?

Since rationale is failing me, stronger measures are called for, I need an ice cream intervention along with a nice cappuccino  ... it is too lovely a day to waste on TV anyway.
My garden Gazebo, ice cream and cappuccino to the rescue - pfft, emeralds ...

17 more days to our next gold star .....

Sounds like Pandora’s jewelry box alright!!

Stay strong. Jewelry is sooooo not a need, and you have such good financial goals to meet.

Also I’m pretty sure they’re going to be selling emeralds next year ;)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:10 PM »
Think of the beautiful jewelry you already have - sitting there, waiting for your attention, hoping to be worn!  That's already a wondrous bounty.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #721 on: April 14, 2018, 04:22:40 AM »
Think of the beautiful jewelry you already have - sitting there, waiting for your attention, hoping to be worn!  That's already a wondrous bounty.

Yes! And I have heard you can only wear so much at one time (don’t ask me how I know this lol!)

Also think of people on the world that have so little... having buckets of jewellery seems a little... excessive or unnecessary, no?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #722 on: April 15, 2018, 04:50:06 AM »
You guys- at the clothing swap I went to, I got two pairs of shoes that could work for the wedding I’m going to! I’m a bridesmaid so this is a must!

My only exception to my challenge this year has been the bridesmaid dress (had to buy!) and I was going to make an exception for the shoes... but now I don’t have to! :D

I am committed to finding or borrowing a coverup/topper for the wedding, and not buying one. Hooray!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2018, 09:12:45 AM »
You guys- at the clothing swap I went to, I got two pairs of shoes that could work for the wedding I’m going to! I’m a bridesmaid so this is a must!

My only exception to my challenge this year has been the bridesmaid dress (had to buy!) and I was going to make an exception for the shoes... but now I don’t have to! :D

I am committed to finding or borrowing a coverup/topper for the wedding, and not buying one. Hooray!

lifejoy you are so brave for tackling two gazingus pins at once.

Cover ups are notoriously difficult - at least for me. I have a holiday dress that I'd like a nice jacket for - five years later I still haven't found anything suitable. A shawl/wrap would work, but I am short with wide shoulders and wear a size 14 - so unfortunately, I tend to look short and dumpy instead of elegant and feminine with a pretty shawl draped around my shoulders. Ugh!

This year, if the dress still fits I may cave and have a jacket made - if it no longer fits I'm donating it instead.

On the jewelry front - I'm hanging in there, for now anyway.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
Cover ups are notoriously difficult - at least for me. I have a holiday dress that I'd like a nice jacket for - five years later I still haven't found anything suitable. A shawl/wrap would work, but I am short with wide shoulders and wear a size 14 - so unfortunately, I tend to look short and dumpy instead of elegant and feminine with a pretty shawl draped around my shoulders. Ugh!

How about a long narrow scarf, looped around your neck and then with the ends flowing straight down in front or back to create a vertical line?  Won't cover your shoulders, but would provide a little warmth? Or a long jacket almost the same length as your dress?

I'm happy to say that I have made no craft purchases this month. And yet, I bought more stuff for my son's aquarium and more plants for the garden. I need to work on hobbies using materials I already have on hand! I may need to change my focus to reflect that...  at least until I have used up/decluttered a certain amount of supplies, say the equivalent of a closet.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #725 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »

How about a long narrow scarf, looped around your neck and then with the ends flowing straight down in front or back to create a vertical line?  Won't cover your shoulders, but would provide a little warmth? Or a long jacket almost the same length as your dress?

I'm happy to say that I have made no craft purchases this month. And yet, I bought more stuff for my son's aquarium and more plants for the garden. I need to work on hobbies using materials I already have on hand! I may need to change my focus to reflect that...  at least until I have used up/decluttered a certain amount of supplies, say the equivalent of a closet.

Yes, it is all about that vertical line, but I really don't do well with scarves either (I either step on them - don't ask me how:) or I'm constantly messing with them and they never look like they should. I do own several, big and small but I rarely wear them. I should stop buying them altogether, but it is hard to resist a beautiful scarf/shawl - I love the patterns and the materials and the colors ...

I really need a jacket for lightweight warmth - amazing how the parties always seem to be on a cold day and the next day it is back to eighty in sunny Florida. Nothing like a cold wind blowing from the ocean and you stand on an ice cold terrace watching the sunset with your Margarita:)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
Oh and I blew it - @lifejoy -  no gold star for me this month.
It's gem week and I ordered a Tsavorite piece last night. Favorite designer, lovely jewelry, deal of a lifetime...
I mildly regret it, but I am not returning it unless I don't like it once it arrives.

I refuse to beat myself up over it, I knew going into this challenge that it would be an extremely difficult challenge to complete totally unscathed.
It has actually been six months since I ordered anything from this channel.

Sux to admit it, but I failed this month - resuming challenge for May to Dec 2018. Chagrin ...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
No Gazingus Pins for 2018!
« Reply #727 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
It's gem week and I ordered a Tsavorite piece last night. Favorite designer, lovely jewelry, deal of a lifetime...
I mildly regret it, but I am not returning it unless I don't like it once it arrives.

I refuse to beat myself up over it, I knew going into this challenge that it would be an extremely difficult challenge to complete totally unscathed.

Sux to admit it, but I failed this month - resuming challenge for May to Dec 2018. Chagrin ...

See how you feel when it arrives! I assume you are American and returns are easy

<3

If at first we don’t succeed, try, try again!

Edited to add: just curious- did buying it “scratch an itch” or “fill a void”? Or did it make you feel happy?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:13:17 AM by lifejoy »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #728 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
I really need a jacket for lightweight warmth - amazing how the parties always seem to be on a cold day and the next day it is back to eighty in sunny Florida. Nothing like a cold wind blowing from the ocean and you stand on an ice cold terrace watching the sunset with your Margarita:)

Are any of the scarves/shawls suitable for turning into a shrug?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #729 on: April 17, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

Are any of the scarves/shawls suitable for turning into a shrug?

I hadn't thought of that - excellent idea!!! Possibly one of them - yay! If not, I can get a fabulous one for under ten bucks from a dealer on base.
THANK YOU - you just solved my problem:)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #730 on: April 17, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »

See how you feel when it arrives! I assume you are American and returns are easy

<3

If at first we don’t succeed, try, try again!

Edited to add: just curious- did buying it “scratch an itch” or “fill a void”? Or did it make you feel happy?

Hmm, good question. The short answer is that I feel deep satisfaction - it felt right.
Upon reflection, I'd say you could call this a planned purchase. It was a deliberate action, rather than an emotional snap decision. It just made sense to me to veer off the no gazingus pin path this one time - I don't really feel tempted to buy any other jewelry.

I feel deep satisfaction because it is a stone I've wanted for years and thought I'd never own. Certainly normally out of my price range.
This one has it all, color and carat at a killer price. Of course, I am excited to see it in person.

I don't have any buyer's remorse, but I will return it immediately if it is not what I wanted.

Now I wonder if psychologically speaking this means I am deceiving myself and I'm making excuses for my undisciplined behavior or that I showed good judgement and flexibility:) in recognizing that veering off the path can be a good thing.

What do you think?, or does this automatically mean any failure is a failure and nothing but a failure and lack of discipline? Shouldn't we always consider our actions instead of blindly following a given path?

I think of this challenge as a way to learn to control impulse buying - you have to keep saying NO and that builds a new habit. I never thought much about what might be an exception to the rule. I didn't officially have a planned purchase either.
Nevertheless, I guess for me this is an exception.
It is actually a planned purchase, it was not an impulsive, oh look shiny, wouldn't that look cute, sort of purchase.
It feels right and I am fine with it.

So what do you say?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #731 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
I think... if an action makes you (overall) happy and not sad, then it’s not a bad thing!

For me, this challenge started because of mindless spending and I was buying stuff that was NOT making me happy. So I think it all depends on what your original goals were :)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #732 on: April 17, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
I think that whether or not a purchase like the one that @Rosy made is "right" or "safe" or "dangerous" or the like depends on so many individual factors -- in particular, why and how something is a gazingus pin. What need is the gazingus pin satisfying?

For me with books: It's a gazingus pin because I love reading and I love how books make me feel -- but some of those feelings stem from a place of anxiety that I want to work on. Books and reading are both very wrapped up with identity for me in some weirdly complex ways. I'm a reader, and I'm from a rural lower-middle/lower class family, and reading (and by extension books) have long been an escape and a lifeline for me, but also a signal. We Read. We're Educated. We have Books In The House. We value Knowledge more than Looks. Etc etc. I feel uncomfortable with that right now, and so while most of the no gazingus pin challenge has been practical and about not spending money when I have plenty available to read already, it's also been making me examine my relationship to books as physical objects more. I want to take time to keep examining that, without the mental clutter of acquisition.

So, for me right now, purchasing books not only skews that "read" percentage of my collection, but it interferes with a long slow process in thinking about how books relate to a bunch of things in my life. Dis-recommended!

QuillScroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »
My gazingus pin(s) are a number of things -
books
jewelry
home decoration items

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »
Welp, I ordered two expensive beers while I was out over the weekend, so no star for me. It was definitely an autopilot move, where I asked the waitress for the craft beer list and ordered one without thinking about it. I'll have to focus next time I go there.

I also realized I have a gift certificate for a brew your own beer place, but the amount is not enough to cover the price of brewing a batch plus buying bottles. I have 12 bottles, but would need to buy 12 more, so total cost for two cases of 22 oz. bottles would be about $35. That's well below $1/alcohol unit, so I will probably do it. I could also bring a friend and have him buy the other 12 bottles.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
So I hit a bump this month. I bought two books, one for professional learning which I’m hoping to get reimbursed for from my work in which case I won’t count it against me this month. But the other one...I bought with the intention of reading and returning after discussing it at a book club (I know, shameful). But the book was amazing and I can’t inagine taking it back. Plus I got it for half off since I used a gift card I had left over...

A little stumble in the grand scheme of things but no star this month. Now I just have to Keep it from turning  into a free for all for the rest of April.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2018, 07:45:01 AM »
So I hit a bump this month. I bought two books, one for professional learning which I’m hoping to get reimbursed for from my work in which case I won’t count it against me this month. But the other one...I bought with the intention of reading and returning after discussing it at a book club (I know, shameful). But the book was amazing and I can’t inagine taking it back. Plus I got it for half off since I used a gift card I had left over...

A little stumble in the grand scheme of things but no star this month. Now I just have to Keep it from turning  into a free for all for the rest of April.

Ok now I’m dying to know the book!

Also it seems like this fourth month is really hard for a lot of us! I’m struggling, too!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2018, 08:08:19 AM »

Also it seems like this fourth month is really hard for a lot of us! I’m struggling, too!

The books is a YA novel called “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas. I don’t usually read YA books but this one was a game changer for me and my maybe-in-the-future kiddo(s).

The fourth month struggle is so real!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »

The books is a YA novel called “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas. I don’t usually read YA books but this one was a game changer for me and my maybe-in-the-future kiddo(s).

Haha I’m like number 200 on the library wait list for that one!! I’ve heard great things. You should also try the book “Wonder” if you’re looking for amazing books to benefit potential future kids!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #739 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »

Haha I’m like number 200 on the library wait list for that one!! I’ve heard great things. You should also try the book “Wonder” if you’re looking for amazing books to benefit potential future kids!

So worth it! I put myself on the waitlist for the book months ago thinking I’d get it in time to read for the club but alas - no dice :) enjoy! And thank you so much for the recommendation, I’m looking into Wonder  ASAP.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #740 on: April 18, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »

So worth it! I put myself on the waitlist for the book months ago thinking I’d get it in time to read for the club but alas - no dice :) enjoy! And thank you so much for the recommendation, I’m looking into Wonder  ASAP.

By R. J. Palacio :)

The made it into a movie but the book is better (of course).

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
Now I wonder if psychologically speaking this means I am deceiving myself and I'm making excuses for my undisciplined behavior or that I showed good judgement and flexibility:) in recognizing that veering off the path can be a good thing.

What do you think?, or does this automatically mean any failure is a failure and nothing but a failure and lack of discipline? Shouldn't we always consider our actions instead of blindly following a given path?

Personally, I have decided I need a harder-line path for right now.  Because my fundamental problem is that I am just fucking awesome at rationalizing what I want (high intelligence + decades of experience = fantastic excuse-making ability, to the point I frequently even believe the line of crap I am feeding myself).

So part of this for me is a re-set of habits, that kind of automatic thoughtless spending that I have fallen into.  But another part of it is to try to train myself to better distinguish when I am making a logical, rational decision from those times when I am just deluding myself.  So I figure I am going to go cold turkey until my tea is basically done and I actually need replacements.  And then I am going to ask myself whether I still think I missed out on some of those opportunities that I passed by -- or, in fact, if I even remember them!!  (So far the answer is no -- I remember the feeling of "wanting," but I can't really even remember where/when, much less that knee-shaking kind of "can't believe I skipped that!").*

So I think if you really want to answer your question, you have to be willing to test yourself and miss out on a few deals, because sometimes the only way to find out where the line is is by crossing it. 

*I have a high bar for this.  When I was in college, I spent a semester studying in Greece, and during a trip to Turkey, I had the opportunity to buy a silk Turkish rug for like $150.  But I was poor, and that was basically food for a month, and so I passed.  I have regretted it ever since.  So that is a useful self-test for me:  "Is this really a Turkish rug?  Or just a passing fancy that I'll have forgotten by tomorrow?"

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »
I think that whether or not a purchase like the one that @Rosy made is "right" or "safe" or "dangerous" or the like depends on so many individual factors -- in particular, why and how something is a gazingus pin. What need is the gazingus pin satisfying?

For me with books: It's a gazingus pin because I love reading and I love how books make me feel -- but some of those feelings stem from a place of anxiety that I want to work on. Books and reading are both very wrapped up with identity for me in some weirdly complex ways. I'm a reader, and I'm from a rural lower-middle/lower class family, and reading (and by extension books) have long been an escape and a lifeline for me, but also a signal. We Read. We're Educated. We have Books In The House. We value Knowledge more than Looks. Etc etc. I feel uncomfortable with that right now, and so while most of the no gazingus pin challenge has been practical and about not spending money when I have plenty available to read already, it's also been making me examine my relationship to books as physical objects more. I want to take time to keep examining that, without the mental clutter of acquisition.

So, for me right now, purchasing books not only skews that "read" percentage of my collection, but it interferes with a long slow process in thinking about how books relate to a bunch of things in my life. Dis-recommended!

It took me a while to respond @diapasoun but that is because I once looked at books pretty much the same way you do and my reply was a wall of text that was way too personal and I'm not even sure that it would have been helpful to you.
Every word you said about your book addiction resonates with me. Our identities are entangled with books. I actually laughed out loud when I finally got to the bottom of my own book addiction - the truth shall set you free:) There was a lot to analyze mostly about how I saw myself and why.
Took me several years, because I totally rejected the idea of reducing any of my book collection:) It all happened in spurts over time.

I still love books, but I see everything from a different perspective than I once did. It is a slow process and looking back, I think it was a good experience, helpful in getting to know myself.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »

Personally, I have decided I need a harder-line path for right now. Because my fundamental problem is that I am just fucking awesome at rationalizing what I want (high intelligence + decades of experience = fantastic excuse-making ability, to the point I frequently even believe the line of crap I am feeding myself).

So part of this for me is a re-set of habits, that kind of automatic thoughtless spending that I have fallen into.  But another part of it is to try to train myself to better distinguish when I am making a logical, rational decision from those times when I am just deluding myself.  So I figure I am going to go cold turkey until my tea is basically done and I actually need replacements.  And then I am going to ask myself whether I still think I missed out on some of those opportunities that I passed by -- or, in fact, if I even remember them!!  (So far the answer is no -- I remember the feeling of "wanting," but I can't really even remember where/when, much less that knee-shaking kind of "can't believe I skipped that!").*

So I think if you really want to answer your question, you have to be willing to test yourself and miss out on a few deals, because sometimes the only way to find out where the line is is by crossing it. 

*I have a high bar for this.  When I was in college, I spent a semester studying in Greece, and during a trip to Turkey, I had the opportunity to buy a silk Turkish rug for like $150.  But I was poor, and that was basically food for a month, and so I passed.  I have regretted it ever since.  So that is a useful self-test for me:  "Is this really a Turkish rug?  Or just a passing fancy that I'll have forgotten by tomorrow?"

LOL - been there done that, but I can say that going for an even harder approach at present would backfire for me, based on the other goals I currently have.
You are right, this may well have been my "Turkish rug".

It is interesting that we are all still struggling on occasion at almost four months in. I am a little bummed that I tripped up this month, we'll see how we all manage going forward.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »

It took me a while to respond @diapasoun but that is because I once looked at books pretty much the same way you do and my reply was a wall of text that was way too personal and I'm not even sure that it would have been helpful to you.
Every word you said about your book addiction resonates with me. Our identities are entangled with books. I actually laughed out loud when I finally got to the bottom of my own book addiction - the truth shall set you free:) There was a lot to analyze mostly about how I saw myself and why.
Took me several years, because I totally rejected the idea of reducing any of my book collection:) It all happened in spurts over time.

I still love books, but I see everything from a different perspective than I once did. It is a slow process and looking back, I think it was a good experience, helpful in getting to know myself.

I think there's a LOT of us with relationships like this to books. And it's really good to hear that there are folks on the other side. ;)

I'm actually planning to put some books in some Little Free Libraries this weekend -- got them piled up and everything. THAT is a satisfying place to have gotten to!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #745 on: April 22, 2018, 03:55:50 AM »
I'm out this month. I bought a chain riveter.  It was necessary, as it saved me $125 from getting the chain on the motorbike replaced by the shop ($200 labour vs $75 tool and some sweat).  But it was still a tool purchase.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: April 22, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »
(Aw, middo!  That hardly seems like a gazingus pin to me, if actually know how to use it and it saves you money on a necessary repair!  But you know yourself and your gazingus pins best.)

As for me:   I have exactly 6 more work days to get through till the end of April.  I am bound and determined to get my star this month!  No vending machine snacks at work for me whatsoever.  I don't even carry cash anymore usually so even if tempted there's not much I can do about it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #747 on: April 22, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
I'm out this month. I bought a chain riveter.  It was necessary, as it saved me $125 from getting the chain on the motorbike replaced by the shop ($200 labour vs $75 tool and some sweat).  But it was still a tool purchase.

That doesn’t sound like a mindless impulse buy... but like the other poster said, you know yourself best.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #748 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
(Aw, middo!  That hardly seems like a gazingus pin to me, if actually know how to use it and it saves you money on a necessary repair!  But you know yourself and your gazingus pins best.)

As for me:   I have exactly 6 more work days to get through till the end of April.  I am bound and determined to get my star this month!  No vending machine snacks at work for me whatsoever.  I don't even carry cash anymore usually so even if tempted there's not much I can do about it.

That doesn’t sound like a mindless impulse buy... but like the other poster said, you know yourself best.

Thanks. The problem with tool purchases is that they can always be justified. Hence I want to keep myself honest.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #749 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:12 AM »

Thanks. The problem with tool purchases is that they can always be justified. Hence I want to keep myself honest.

Ahh of course. I get it now. Just because it’s useful doesn’t mean it’s not a gazingus pin!