Author Topic: No dessert, candy or chips for a year.  (Read 7284 times)

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
No dessert, candy or chips for a year.
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
OH YEAH LET'S DO THIS. Desserts are expensive and IRRELEVANT.
20 days in, still going strong. Join me in having all your friends think you've gone insane!
http://www.thepoxbox.com/what.php?id=nodessert

One week in, I dreamt I was eating skittles for 5 minutes. Then a week after that it was those tiny chocolate bars you get for Halloween....

lol

ace1224

• Bristles
Re: No dessert, candy or chips for a year.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
thats really impressive! i like chocolate too much for that but good luck!

anniebelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
Can't we have like, one or the other? I can go the no candy or dessert but to forgo chips? I'm impressed anyway, like when people give up wine. Go you!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
I'm going without dessert this month, but I don't think I can go an entire year. I will try to limit it to one dessert per week.

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:11 AM »
I am in with you. The chips are easy for me as I don't eat them anyway. It is the sweets but love the challenge.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »
What the heck, count me in!

I'm a sweets addict and nursing a 5-month old so the sugar cravings are FIERCE, but I ate half of a caramel turtle ice cream cake this weekend and got a bad tummy ache that's made me want a break. Chips and candy will be easy to forgo.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »
Awesome goal!

Are you excluding tortilla chips?
I am addicted to guacamole.

I'd probably still eat those if it was a meal but not as a snack? Since they're more like.. bread I guess? :p

I mean it's kind of hard to tell what's alright sometimes. I put cocoa powder in my oatmeal and protein powder is still flavored like milkshakes.... But those are healthy...ish.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »
Sugar can make me really sick, so I've been doing that already with candy, less successful with desserts at parties, but getting better (I see sweets and just picture myself feeling nauseous, having a headache, works pretty well).

Don't buy much snack food because my kids devour it way too fast to be worth the $ keeping it in the house.

Yeah, I'll try doing this one!

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »
I started doing this last year although I do have a less strict rule. I don't eat chips, candy or unhealthy desserts at home.
However if someone did an effort to make me dessert I'll eat it. If they offer me some chips before dinner, I eat some as well. If I invite people over for dinner, I make sure there are some chips beforehand and depending on the type of dinner I'll also create a delicious dessert.
The same with soda's and alcohol btw. Never when I'm alone at home. But if we go out to a pub with friends I drink a few, and I always have them in my fridge for guests. To me, it's all about moderation and more "social food" with these things :)

Soda's and alcohol is no problem for me, but got to say having chips in the house is tempting so I only buy them when I have guests coming over. Got to say that the most difficult for me was/is trying to find replacement food for the inbetween snacks. I eat breakfast at 6:00, lunch at 12:00 and dinner at 19:00. Those are big gaps so I do get hungry in between. Fruit like oranges really don't fill your stomach. Banana's are a bit better. I also do love to eat some nuts but they are quite expensive so I don't want to eat that daily either. Might have a look at the oatmeal suggested in the link above. Right now I just deal with the hungry feeling most of the time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
I don't understand the delineation (no pancakes or waffles, but diet soda is okay?), and I really don't even understand the purpose (blanket things seem to be about bragging rights more than actual good reasons - see Jacob's recent repeated post about the 100 things challenge on ERE), but good luck to those of you attempting this.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »
I don't understand the delineation (no pancakes or waffles, but diet soda is okay?), and I really don't even understand the purpose (blanket things seem to be about bragging rights more than actual good reasons - see Jacob's recent repeated post about the 100 things challenge on ERE), but good luck to those of you attempting this.  :)

Mainly to see if it does any different health-wise.
Diet soda has no calories so drink away.

But mostly, yah, bragging rights, as nutrition-wise obviously you can eat whatever you want as long as it's in proper quantities.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

Mainly to see if it does any different health-wise.
Diet soda has no calories so drink away.

But mostly, yah, bragging rights, as nutrition-wise obviously you can eat whatever you want as long as it's in proper quantities.

Gotcha.  Thanks!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sekritdino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
Oh man, for a whole year?! BRAVE! I've been doing "no sweets" all month. The only slip up was having a VERY small bite of my friend's birthday cake, and I snuck some maple syrup on a bite of pancakes the other day. Besides that, no major slip ups! It's been really tough the last few days, but that could be due to female hormonal monthly cycles, if you get my meaning.

Side note, I was on a diet the first two weeks of the month. Between that and no sweets I lost the 7 lbs I put on during the holidays/my vacation!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
I spent most of Sept/Oct 2013 reading every MMM post, plus many things he recommended and many forum posts. Once I finished everything I was overwhelmed, but went all in mid October in every way I could think of from money to diet to booze to optimism.

Food was the biggest immediate impact, and I feel like a new person with so much more energy. Protein and Healthy Fats have increased drastically. Bread of all kinds - virtually gone. Chips - gone. Candy - gone. Desserts - I've been very strong with this, but birthday cakes, the holidays, etc. made it tough and I've given in maybe 5-10 times at parties. At home I've found honey and peanut butter are the best possible "replacement" to desserts/candy. Honey is unbeliveably sweet and all natural so I'm much less concerned with refined sugars and such, and I've found great uses for it.

You can't argue with high energy and weight loss. I'm sold on the idea, and I was already planning on doing this so I'm in!

Here's your new/replacement dessert if you need/want it:
Energy Bites
1 cup dry oatmeal
½ cup choc. Chips
½ cup PB
½ cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together, roll into balls, eat. Very easy and good.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »
Mix together, roll into balls, eat. Very easy and good.

Ah yes I know a recipe similar to that one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7yixMZWJo

I don't make those anymore because they are too good... lol.

High-fat diets would probably ruin me but I'll try that diet down the line... It seems more of a normal person / crossfit thing rather than an endurance athlete diet but who knows.

Frugal Ninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
I have been doing a modified version of this for the last few years.....don't BUY any dessert, candy, chips etc.  I can eat it when it at a party or when someone brings it to the office.  I find I still get more than enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, and end up eating a lot less. 

As a side benefit, what I bring to parties or into work is always a healthy option....and from the rate it disappears, it appears people like having this around more than junk anyway!