Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189100 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #750 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
Late to the game, and bought a few things for work from thrift stores earlier this year, and even a new t-shirt (hangs head in shame). But I'll pile on for the 4th quarter. I've basically stopped buying clothes anyway, since I'm looking at <1yr as a FT office guy and my wardrobe is more than passable. (The one single way my past spendypants self actually did an arguably good thing for me... hahaha)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
confession: I got two new tshirts this weekend.  One was a gift for volunteering some time, but I felt bad because I knew they were struggling to break even so I bought the second.  The good news is that I like them both and they are colors that I will wear and they work with the rest of my wardrobe.  I have been needing some new options.  Everything seems to be falling apart!  I've had to get rid of several things that were just too worn out to mend. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #752 on: October 05, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
I don't know if I'm going to make it!!!

My sneakers have holes in them. They have for awhile, but it's more noticeable now that it's getting cold out. I have other shoes or boots that I could wear some of the time, but my feet get brutal blisters if they are not comfortable properly fitting shoes. I may be able to manage until January.

I have two pairs of jeans left, which is plenty. One of them is annoying to wear. If I bend over they ride down far enough to see a couple inches of butt crack, and I am constantly pulling them up. Tight on the thighs so I can't pull them up far, but loose around the waist. The other pair is GREAT. They fit great and they are my go to jeans.... but they are developing holes in places where there can not be holes. I might try to see if I can learn how to patch them up.

I still have two work pants. One that's great. One that's annoying in a similar way as the jeans, but not as bad.

The other pants are getting tight after gaining a few pounds. Found out my scale was getting old and gradually lying more and more to me over the last few months to a year.

Anyway, I just needed to bitch about it. I'll make it one way or another! Maybe there will be another clothing swap and I can pick up some pants/jeans.

It sounds like you actually need some new items ESPECIALLY shoes. Footwear is important. Can I ask why you are more committed to a gauntlet than your own comfort? I think I'm not alone in my thoughts.
Many of us buy items as needed.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: October 05, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »
I don't know if I'm going to make it!!!

My sneakers have holes in them. They have for awhile, but it's more noticeable now that it's getting cold out. I have other shoes or boots that I could wear some of the time, but my feet get brutal blisters if they are not comfortable properly fitting shoes. I may be able to manage until January.

I have two pairs of jeans left, which is plenty. One of them is annoying to wear. If I bend over they ride down far enough to see a couple inches of butt crack, and I am constantly pulling them up. Tight on the thighs so I can't pull them up far, but loose around the waist. The other pair is GREAT. They fit great and they are my go to jeans.... but they are developing holes in places where there can not be holes. I might try to see if I can learn how to patch them up.

I still have two work pants. One that's great. One that's annoying in a similar way as the jeans, but not as bad.

The other pants are getting tight after gaining a few pounds. Found out my scale was getting old and gradually lying more and more to me over the last few months to a year.

Anyway, I just needed to bitch about it. I'll make it one way or another! Maybe there will be another clothing swap and I can pick up some pants/jeans.

It sounds like you actually need some new items ESPECIALLY shoes. Footwear is important. Can I ask why you are more committed to a gauntlet than your own comfort? I think I'm not alone in my thoughts.
Many of us buy items as needed.

But I'm not uncomfortable yet!
I'm committed to freedom/FIRE, the gauntlet just helps.

If I had no replacements, yes, I'd buy shoes.
If I had no pants, yes I'd buy pants. If I can't mend the hole I won't wear pants with indecent exposure issues.

I still have options. And I still really like these shoes, despite the holes. They're comfortable, just not fashionable.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #754 on: October 10, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
Rabbit and Sanne, I found the gazingus pin discussion in Your Money or Your Life helpful for letting go of craving things to look or feel a certain way. I used to shop in a way that was really habitual/compulsive, even when I had enough clothes. It was definitely about stress and a desire to achieve a certain feeling, but of course you never get that feeling, you just go around the merry go round after it. Getting off is nice! though I do still get lots of clothes it's now from clothing swaps, friends, giveaways, etc.

Yes, that was the best part of that book for me!  While I know I've really sucked at this gauntlet compared to oh, basically everyone else here, one great thing this year is that I never randomly decided to go hit TJ Maxx after work just because I felt like it.  I bought several things this spring in preparation for the Peru trip, and then a few weeks ago I realized that I had very few suitable tops for this in-between fall weather so I very purposefully went out and bought several tops that filled in that gap.  I was picky and made sure to only buy items I really liked, and nothing that wasn't an instant "yes!" when I tried it on, as well as being easy-care.  Even with that, I have two items that I am probably going to return to the store this weekend (if I can find the receipts).  So while I enjoy my clothes, my attitude towards them has shifted and I'm enjoying a slimmed down, well-curated wardrobe, and I'm not looking to add to it all the time just because there's a sale or the weather has changed.

Maybe coincidentally, it seems like I'm taking better care of my stuff too.  I used to be terrible about getting stains on my clothes, but lately they've been staying clean without any additional conscious effort.  Weird.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #755 on: October 10, 2015, 05:03:44 PM »
I have two pairs of jeans left, which is plenty. One of them is annoying to wear. If I bend over they ride down far enough to see a couple inches of butt crack, and I am constantly pulling them up. Tight on the thighs so I can't pull them up far, but loose around the waist.

Have you tried taking them to a tailor?  Ditto for the work pants with a similar issue.

Vasilisa

• Stubble
« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
New to this thread (and forum) but I want to take on this goal!

I haven't bought any clothes or shoes since May and I want to finish off the year without purchasing any clothes. I've got some debt emergency and I am throwing all extra funds at it.

This months challenge is patching two pairs of jeans to wear on the weekend or at home, and altering a dress to attend a wedding.

I did a clothing purge (KonMari method) so I've down to a small wardrobe filled with stuff that fits and "brings me joy". My worry is that I'll have enough decent work clothes and shoes to last the next three months and even as I'm typing this, it seems silly- I am more badass than that.

On to 2016 with no clothes purchases!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
Just confessing I bought a coat. But it's a nice one bought used ($47, black peacoat, cashmere/wool, fits well) and I will be able to keep it hopefully for a long long time. Going to bring another coat to try and sell it at the thrift store as an offset.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
I purchased a pair of pants (now I hav three pants that are interchangeable for life, work, or excersize, and one only excerize appropriate).  All on clearance plus rewards discount  plus giftcard :). Including also bought 3 sportsbras, because the 1 I had previously wore out earlier in the year. I dance very fast paced 6 hours a week . plus walk/hike most days. I needed more clothes for excersize, I was quickly running out of all options way before I like doing laundry.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #759 on: October 16, 2015, 06:53:54 PM »
I've been doing this for the past 4 years. However, other people always buy me clothes for holidays and birthdays. It's weird because I never ask for clothes. However, because I never buy clothes people feel obligated to buy them for me. I buy socks and underwear and that's it. I bought some work clothes at the goodwill about 4 years ago. The total was around $80 for 7 pairs of pants and 10 shirts and 5 ties. One Saturday a month is half-off. I already had about 10 other ties from other holidays and birthdays.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #760 on: October 16, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »
I've been doing this for the past 4 years. However, other people always buy me clothes for holidays and birthdays. It's weird because I never ask for clothes. However, because I never buy clothes people feel obligated to buy them for me. I buy socks and underwear and that's it. I bought some work clothes at the goodwill about 4 years ago. The total was around $80 for 7 pairs of pants and 10 shirts and 5 ties. One Saturday a month is half-off. I already had about 10 other ties from other holidays and birthdays.

This is excellent. I finally stopped getting clothes from ppl as gifts. Most would end up donated because wrong size or something.
All I bought last year was a pair of boots when my other pair wore out.
So this year I've needed to do some replacements for sure. I'm not such a big clothing Spender anyway (I HATE shopping, especially trying stuff on. It's the worst.) But I was very into flashy expensive shoes. And would buy some cheapy shit quality garments a couple times a year.
Every added bit of saving helps!!!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #761 on: October 18, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
This thread reminded me of a road trip I did through Mexico with some friends in my early to mid 20's. It wasn't a fancy trip, so I packed old clothes. A few of my friends made fun of me because I had a few holes in one of my pair of shorts. One person offered to buy me a pair of shorts. One the way down to Mexico a few people asked if I worked besides going to grad school. I said that I get about 15K stipend and take out 5k of loans. I live on about 20K a year. Eruption ensued. How can you live on 20K a year they asked. I simply said that I don't buy anything besides food. Not everyone could go on the trip because they couldn't get off work or couldn't afford it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #762 on: October 18, 2015, 11:26:11 AM »
One of the many great things about my wife's job (and one of the many reasons she is not in a hurry to join me in FIRE) is that she receives gift cards every few months as rewards for what superiors consider exceptional work. Many of the gift cards are for clothing stores...Gap, Old Navy, etc...utilizing these cards properly, we RARELY EVER spend our own money on clothes.

On occasion, when we need a specialty clothing item such as swimwear we may have to dig into our own wallets.

Sometimes when I get a bit frustrated by her desire to keep working I try to remember the many "perks" that we receive from her desire to keep punching the clock everyday.

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #763 on: October 21, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
Only 10 weeks left in the year and I have still not purchased a single piece of clothing, shoes or accessories for myself.
I could really use a couple of new bras, a pair of dressier jeans and rainproof travel jacket, but I am so close to the finish line I will hold out until Jan.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »
I am just curious, how much do people typically spend on clothes, that this is something worthwhile to do?
Our entire family of 4 spends 1K or less on clothes every year, with most of that new stuff. Not buying any clothes for our household would be a hardship (2 kids who are outgrowing shoes, clothes, outerwear) and not make much of a difference to the bottom line.

In contrast we spend about that same amount every month on the grocery store (our weakness/issue).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
partgypsy, personally I used to spend much more than $1,00 a year on non-need items for myself in a year, so stopping shopping as recreation was very important. This year I bought two pairs of shoes, a bra, and a coat (well, and a $3.50 dress, and a little money on shipping clothes to me). he challenge was a helpful way to divert from frivolous spending while allowing occasional purchases that are more foundational. I'm going to need to settle on some sort of shoe budget for instance because those get tons of wear and they do not last forever. Everyone has their own gazingus pins.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
I see. It does seem good to restrict/cut out something that is a "weakness" especially if can reset one's desire for it. Have a feeling my youngest will grow up to be clothes/shoe lover (she LOVES new clothes, shoes, etc and spends actual time/effort in choosing what she will wear and coordinate in the morning). 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: November 08, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Another coworker offered 7 boxes of clothing to look through as she is moving & pairing down slightly (she has ALOT of clothing, furniture, and random garbage in the house (semi-hoarder). So am so fortunate to be offered so many castoffs. I have found a few, and also a few for sewing projects( I upcycle & create dresses, purse etc from old clothing, blankets, etc).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #768 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
I passed on the school shirts this year.

I did buy new walking shoes, old ones were wearing out (shin splints, sore knees).

I'm passing on another "clothing sale" today at someone's house.

But I started "NOvember", and I've lost 4.5 lbs.  And all my pants are too loose.  Time to dig out the belt.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #769 on: November 09, 2015, 03:30:23 AM »
Rabbit and Sanne, I found the gazingus pin discussion in Your Money or Your Life helpful for letting go of craving things to look or feel a certain way. I used to shop in a way that was really habitual/compulsive, even when I had enough clothes. It was definitely about stress and a desire to achieve a certain feeling, but of course you never get that feeling, you just go around the merry go round after it. Getting off is nice! though I do still get lots of clothes it's now from clothing swaps, friends, giveaways, etc.

Thanks for the tip! I looked the 'gazingus pin' thing up. I don't actually know if clothes are my gazingus pin though because it's not really a habit and I don't really buy a lot of one item. I don't necessarily have a lot of clothes, I think I have less than my friends and I do think about a purchase before I buy it. It used to be my gazingus pin though. I used to have a lot of unworn clothes. I got rid of 75% (approximately) and really like what is left. I just like clothes and want to have some new things ones in a while. So yeah, maybe it's still a habit. At least it's not as worse as it used to be. I really have to let go of the cravings like you said. I have to figure out WHY I'm doing it and WHY it's bullshit.

I really want to join a No Clothing Shopping 2016. I think I just have to do it.

Edit: My answer is all over the place, whaha. ;) I think I need the challenge to figure things out. I have enough clothes so like I said, I should just do it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:38:05 AM by Sanne »

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #770 on: November 09, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
Sanne, forget if I mentioned this, but I still get 'new' to me clothes at swaps and find that it's a nice addition to my life. I do get a little tired of 'old' things even if they're perfectly fine. But this way it's a social and free way of getting the same extra wardrobe items.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
Sanne, forget if I mentioned this, but I still get 'new' to me clothes at swaps and find that it's a nice addition to my life. I do get a little tired of 'old' things even if they're perfectly fine. But this way it's a social and free way of getting the same extra wardrobe items.

That's a good way. I also but stuff second-hand and give other stuff I don't really wear anymore away. Last week I bought a dress for 2.50, jeans for 2.95 and a sweater for 4.50. Not too bad. But I also have the tendency to buy more expensive stuff once in a while and it's not always a bad purchase but not something I really need either. And I feel that the fact that I'm buying stuff (cheap or expensive) keeps the urge alive to buy more. I just keep on searching or something. So maybe it's a good thing to just not do this for a year. I'm not sure though. ;) But because I really should have enough to last me a year.. And what am I afraid of, that I don't have something new to wear to a party or work? If that's my 'fear' it's a stupid fear and maybe I should overcome this. And the money I save can go to student loans so that's better than having something new.

Just thinking aloud here. ;)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »
Man some of you guys did great.  i dont anticipate buying anymore than i already have but 214 on the year is a pretty decent improvement over my usual Slick deals impulse cheap clothes purchases.  most of that number is tied up in some hiking boots and sandals for our campervan trip thru the Utah national parks.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #773 on: November 27, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »
Early this week my new boss commented "Oh, cute outfit!  That's so what I would be wearing if I wasn't at work!" 

urm.  hmm. 

I was wearing my nice clothes!  Gray pants (not dress slacks, but not jeans!) and a button down plaid shirt with a cardigan, granted i was wearing chuck taylors.  This is technically a student job and other student workers are frequently in sorority letter sweatshirts.  I am going to continue wearing my usual jeans and cardigans unless someone enforces a real dress code.  I think my boss was just being funny.  (she talks. a. lot.)  But I had a 30 second panic thinking I was going to have to buy a professional wardrobe.

It's been a long time sinse I worked in a setting where how I dressed was important.   

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #774 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
Looking back on my progress so far this year: I attended 4 big special events that would normally be triggers for clothes shopping (a wedding and 3 conferences/assemblies) and only struggled with the first one.  I ended up purchasing a scarf for the first event, and nothing  new for the other 3!  The funny thing is I was browsing in a bookstore, not a clothing store, when I spotted the scarf and decided I had to have it.  And it did change my outfit enough that lots of people complimented my 'new dress'. It has been a fantastic addition to my capsule wardrobe since then.  However I am much more proud that I borrowed a formal dress for the wedding, and didn't browse at all for the other events.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #775 on: December 02, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
" Americans buy an average of 64 items of clothing per year, a little more than one piece a week."
--Overdressed: the shockingly high price of fashion (2012)

Wow. At my worst I didn't even come close .
Props ppl, we're doing good. :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #776 on: December 03, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »
I bought a new coat for $5.99 at Goodwill the day before yesterday. My neck and shoulder injury has made it so that I can't wear my heavy wool coats – they're just too painful. This one's a very lightweight polyester fake down, and it doesn't hurt while it keeps me warm. I sort of hate the color,  but it was available at the Goodwill, so I'm wearing it. I do like the cut, so maybe the champagne-ish color will grow on me.

I do have a full-length real down coat  that's lightweight enough that I can wear it, but there are a lot of things I do out in the woods where I don't really need to be wearing a fancy full-length down coat. This six dollar job should get me through the winter.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure I won't require any new clothes for the rest of the month, and if I do, I'm making do.

So, this year I spent about $110: socks, two pairs of running shoes, and one pair of pants.

If I'd lost the amount of weight I'd wanted to, I wouldn't have needed the pants, so my goal for 2016 is to fit into all of the pants I can't fit into yet. 

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #778 on: December 04, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I almost made it.

All I bought was two pairs of gym shorts, but mostly because I had a $25 off $100 coupon at Sports Authority and was buying my wife a $70 pair of Rollerblades for Mother's Day.

My flip-flops broke a month ago and I've had a tough time, even in Florida, finding a pair I like. (I have a pair of shower-shoe type shoes I've been wearing instead but that's not a good look).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: December 10, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »
I'm going to make it!

Zero clothing spending this year. I was worried about shoes, but I found some light steel toed shoes in my garage that are a perfect substitute to my sneakers which had developed holes. Also I found two other steel toed shoes in my closet (my previous job gave us a steel toed shoes budget every 2 years even though I rarely needed to use them). One of the pairs is perfect for in the office, they look like office shoes. The other ones are quite heavy, but I can use them for commuting if I need to.

As an added bonus my coworker accidentally rolled over my toes with her chair yesterday and I assured her there was no damage done. :p

Quinn

« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
My workplace gave us each a really nice jacket for Christmas, but there's a huge embroidered logo on it. I don't mind leaving it as it is, but I think I can get a lot more wear out of it if I remove the logo (at least I'd feel more comfortable wearing it outside of work). BUT the fabric is nylon, and I don't know if I can pick it apart with a seam ripper without destroying the fabric. Does anyone have any experience with this?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
My workplace gave us each a really nice jacket for Christmas, but there's a huge embroidered logo on it. I don't mind leaving it as it is, but I think I can get a lot more wear out of it if I remove the logo (at least I'd feel more comfortable wearing it outside of work). BUT the fabric is nylon, and I don't know if I can pick it apart with a seam ripper without destroying the fabric. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I get given a lot of clothing castoffs. I experience similar-ish things sometimes - like the lovely soft pink t-shirt I wore once before I realized the black design on the front and back was a stripper on a pole.... Not to work fortunately.

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #782 on: December 13, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Less than 3 weeks to go and I have spend $0 on clothing, shoes and accessories for myself!!!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #783 on: December 14, 2015, 12:05:42 AM »
I'm so proud of everyone who made it. I was not in for this year but I want to do next year. Anyone with me?

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: December 14, 2015, 12:50:21 AM »
Been following this on Frugal Woods Frugal Woods but I was wondering where do you get you clothes from?

My wife and I talked about this but my impression/experience is that only petite people will look good in used clothing. I suspect this has more to do with taste than with getting good clothes but it just seems people that buy used clothing like the bland boring out of style look. Even Frugalwoods both lean towards the bland working class look.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:04:16 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: December 14, 2015, 05:24:59 AM »
" Americans buy an average of 64 items of clothing per year, a little more than one piece a week."
--Overdressed: the shockingly high price of fashion (2012)

Wow. At my worst I didn't even come close .
Props ppl, we're doing good. :)

Good to hear, I'm not THAT bad. I bought 27 items in 2014, I didn't count in 2015 but it should be around the same number.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #786 on: December 14, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »
Been following this on Frugal Woods Frugal Woods but I was wondering where do you get you clothes from?

My wife and I talked about this but my impression/experience is that only petite people will look good in used clothing. I suspect this has more to do with taste than with getting good clothes but it just seems people that buy used clothing like the bland boring out of style look. Even Frugalwoods both lean towards the bland working class look.

Do you know anyone who does clothing swaps, or can you do one yourselves? That's where I get 90% of my clothes.

Spent 0$ on clothes for the year! This is a first. .

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: December 14, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »
I spent $48.50 on 3 sport bras.  They fit well and I like them.  That is the only clothing I bought in 2015.

I might buy one pair of pants in 2016--I have only three pairs that fit me.  Also, I may have to purchase another pair of hiking shorts.  Hopefully I can find a pair just like the ones I am currently using, as this pair has held up well (just not sure how much longer before they start falling apart).

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #788 on: December 14, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »

Do you know anyone who does clothing swaps, or can you do one yourselves? That's where I get 90% of my clothes.

OK that's how you do it, good idea.

This has long been a sore spot for me. Like most ladies the wife loves clothes shopping and it's tough as I do complain about her shopping but at the same time I like the clothes she buys. Buying used and such isn't really an option as they rarely have her size. Last year we finally came to an agreement on this. She has an unlimited clothing budget AS LONG AS she buys everything on sale. We have a Gary Weber (Large German chain) outlet right near us so she goes once a month to see what have. Same with anything else she buys, she looks for sales and I look for coupons. And she's gotten some rockin good deals. It's not a perfect solution but one that has worked for us.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: December 14, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

OK that's how you do it, good idea.

This has long been a sore spot for me. Like most ladies the wife loves clothes shopping and it's tough as I do complain about her shopping but at the same time I like the clothes she buys. Buying used and such isn't really an option as they rarely have her size. Last year we finally came to an agreement on this. She has an unlimited clothing budget AS LONG AS she buys everything on sale. We have a Gary Weber (Large German chain) outlet right near us so she goes once a month to see what have. Same with anything else she buys, she looks for sales and I look for coupons. And she's gotten some rockin good deals. It's not a perfect solution but one that has worked for us.
I'm too lazy to sort through racks of clothing, so I shop through eBay.  If I can't find something that I want immediately, I put up a search alert.  I get an e-mail when there is something that fits the keywords I put in. 

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: December 22, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
Even though I didn't count bras and running shoes in my no spend challenge for 2015, I did say I was done spending at about $110 and then spent another $74 on running shoes on sale yesterday.  I am an overpronator and require good shoes if I'm going to run. 

So, my total for the year is $184, but only $40 of that was for clothing I didn't intend to spend.

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #791 on: December 22, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
Ok, here is my 2015 update! 

I stayed strong and bought absolutely nothing all the way until May. Then I had some exciting changes in my career that required a significant wardrobe modification.  Total spending for my clothes for the year is $300. :( So, definitely not $0.  But I'm really proud that I held out for as long as I did.  When it was time to modify my wardrobe, I was very discerning and logical about what I purchased, thanks to the mindset of not really wanting to purchase any of it. I bought things that were well made, classic cuts, versatile, and only in colors I already know work with the rest of my stuff.

This was a great exercise to do for 2015.  I learned a lot about myself!  Thanks for all the support everyone! :D

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #792 on: December 22, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
We finished the year at $343 total, for the two of us, due to some odd circumstances which shouldn't be repeating in 2016:

1. About $90 was replacement socks and underwear for both of us
2. I lost about 20lbs and a big chunk of my wardrobe. $120 got me a belt and a few new tops and bottoms for work.
3. Boyfriend needed a new swimsuit, $60
4. The rest was me finally getting some suitable hiking and exercise clothing, which I'd been putting off for years

We'll see what 2016 brings, but right now it doesn't look like we'll need much. I do need a new bathing suit, but will try to get it on Boxing Day with a gift card.

MissySue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #793 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm a newbie here. And I feel like I need to challenge myself. Is anyone doing this for 2016?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #794 on: December 29, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
I'm a newbie here. And I feel like I need to challenge myself. Is anyone doing this for 2016?

I'm pretty well decluttered after deep work for a couple years. But I still hav tons of finished paintings, dresses, etc that I must continue to sell. O my goodness, taking too much space in my closet!

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #795 on: December 29, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
Two days left to go so I think I can officially call it.....$0 spent on clothing, shoes, purses, etc for myself for all of 2015!!!!
I made due with the socks, bras and underwear I had so I will admit I am looking forward to getting some new underthings in 2016.

Who else is still in the $0 club?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #796 on: December 29, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
Two days left to go so I think I can officially call it.....$0 spent on clothing, shoes, purses, etc for myself for all of 2015!!!!
I made due with the socks, bras and underwear I had so I will admit I am looking forward to getting some new underthings in 2016.

Who else is still in the $0 club?

Holy shit!  Impressive!  I thought I did well, but not as well as you did.  Congratulations!

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #797 on: December 29, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
I discovered this forum in June and I've only bought some socks since then because I forgot to pack socks on a business trip.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #798 on: December 30, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »
I'm in, though I have to make some confessions and negotiations first:

Already bought in january 2015:
-Pair of sneakers (semi-planned. I've been wearing this particular brand and model for over 10 years, so whenever I need a new pair I start looking online for a good deal from time to time and get them when I see a decent color at a good price)
-T-shirt. Impulse buy with the shoes, shame on me. It does have a picture of the shoes (I've been wearing for 10+ years) on it, so I hope the Mustachian gods can forgive me)
-Vest (bought with gift card I got 2 years ago)
-Rainlegs (sort of rain pants, google search for them. bought when I went car-free)

Plan to buy this year:
-2 to 4 basic plain white/black/gray t-shirts Check: used a gift card though, so 0 cost.
-Underwear when necessary Bought some socks, still need to buy some underpants
-Bibshorts and arm and knee warmers for cycling. All black, timeless stuff, so I can wait until I find them at the right price. Check. Got the cycling shorts as a birthday gift though

If I buy more, please punch me in the face.

Some facepunches deserved, but not too many.
-Pair of full finger cycling gloves. Bought them to replace an old pair that was entirely worn out, and wear them multiple times a week.
-T-shirt with cool print
I kinda failed - bought a white shirt to go with a suit on a special occasion.
Shirt was only € 9 though and I borrowed the suit, so it could have been a lot worse.

Pretty good year. Still own enough good shoes. Jeans (own 4 pairs), summer and winter jacket have lots of life left in them. So won't do too much clothes shopping in 2016 as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #799 on: December 30, 2015, 08:20:45 AM »

I might. I don't generally buy clothing - pretty much all of my purchases in 2015 were socks/underwear (it had been years, was time for a purge/replacement) and a pair of work shoes (new job, different dress code), and a winter hat (moved to a cold area), but it'd still be a fun challenge!