Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189095 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #700 on: July 15, 2015, 04:00:00 AM »
I'm on vacation ( free ) and hav almost my whole wardrobe in my luggage, because I hav such few clothing . hilarious.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #701 on: July 15, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
MVal, you can always return these items if remorse sets in. (I did a buy and return myself earlier in the challenge). Maybe it would help to set up a clothing swap for you to get the clothes you need, or to think about whether you support the low cost, high turnover fashion model. Sometimes we do legitimately need something new or decide to add a strategic item(s), sometimes it's just the return of the consumer itch. :)

Thanks, that is very helpful. I'm hoping it was just a temporary itch.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #702 on: July 16, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »
Yesterday I spent $96.81 on athletic shoes.  Athletic shoes and bras are my exempt items.  I'm losing weight to fit into pants and dresses I already own for the fall.  By then I will need new bras as mine are already fitting loosely. 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: July 16, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
And you could also ask friends for non-maternity clothes to borrow that would still fit because they have a different cut, if your own closet is slim pickings at that point. Personally, I have a short torso so 80% of my tops are too short to wear now.

Please be very careful about how you do this.  My sister asked me for some of my regular dresses to be used as maternity wear.  Since there is/was a size difference (she was like a size 4 at the time), it felt like a judgement on my size.  I never could wear those dresses happily again. 

I saw a photo of myself from back then a couple of weeks ago and I wish I was that size again these days.  It's funny, because I remember thinking of myself as so large back then, but of course I wasn't, it was just the judgement I felt from the people I was around.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #704 on: July 16, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »
Asking friends for non-maternity clothes wasn't going to work for me anyway.  I'm super short so I have to alter everything I wear.  The only people I know my height are super tiny.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #705 on: July 16, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Yesterday I spent $96.81 on athletic shoes.  Athletic shoes and bras are my exempt items.  I'm losing weight to fit into pants and dresses I already own for the fall.  By then I will need new bras as mine are already fitting loosely.

Half of my closet is athletic wear. I think it's a great motivator for losing weight too, being able to look cute and feel confident. It's also kind of like a "tool", and it's harder for me to justify spending $96.81 for a pair of uncomfortable heels/boots that I can't use a full range of motion in.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #706 on: July 16, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
I'm in Rome and I feel no urge to buy anything! except food and espresso. This is pretty amazing for me (I used to often pick up clothes or shoes on vacation).

MashedBanana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: July 16, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »
Yay!! I started half way through last year.

I've done it!!! 1 while year without buying clothes!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #708 on: July 16, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
After a brutal heatwave where I was wearing sleeveless shells and capris to work, we're back to 80's/low 90's weather, which is lovely, but I somehow feel like sleeveless isn't appropriate when it isn't so scorchingly hot.  This has opened up a bit of a gap in my wardrobe - work appropriate short-sleeved tops.  I've been very tempted to go shopping, but fortunately (?I guess?), I need to spend approximately zero right now to cash flow the surgery my horse had a few weeks ago.  That is making me hold off, and hopefully the urge will pass by the time the bills are paid up. 

Aside from that, I bought an $8 polo shirt, which was riding apparel on my exemptions list, but prior to that, bought a different purple athletic shirt that ended up being the wrong color, yet I liked it for gym use and failed to return it, so $8.50 out there.  Otherwise, I've been well behaved since the Peru trip, wherein I bought an alpaca scarf and my husband bought me a gorgeous alpaca shawl.  So current goal is to make it to cooler weather (probably September) without buying any mid-season work clothes or new sandals.  On everything else, I'm good.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #709 on: July 17, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
Yay!! I started half way through last year.

I've done it!!! 1 while year without buying clothes!!

MashedBanana you're my hero.  Congrats! 
I am 8 months into my challenge, but I did buy replacement items during that time. For items that I legitimately wore to death and had to throw out (not that I just got tired of them). And one slightly regretted purchase of a refashion label I like. I just regret it because it breaks my record and it will take me that much longer to get to 1 year without buying clothes

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #710 on: July 17, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
Not officially part of this challenge but Mr. LC and I have plenty of clothes. Well we did until Mr. LC decided to lose weight and needed new workout shorts for the gym. Found a couple pairs at Target last night so now we are good again. Can't complain about weight loss, though.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #711 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
Hi all, I am withdrawing from the challenge as part of my mind de-cluttering challenge.  I will keep following and enjoying the thread though.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #712 on: July 18, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
Hi all, I am withdrawing from the challenge as part of my mind de-cluttering challenge.  I will keep following and enjoying the thread though.

What is a mind decluttering challenge?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »
Had to buy a pair of replacement pants (second hand) , so out with the old and worn & now I'll hav two pairs again. I might add that ive bought a couple this year, because they wear out quickly from so much use. But I prefer to hav a couple wear out quicker than several lasting longer , as my tastes do vary slightly at times, so when something wears out, I can go for something different if I like . 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
riverffashion,

There is no official Mind Decluttering thread :). 

While taking part in the Getting Rid of Stuff/Clearing Out Clutter Challenge I realised that the physical objects in my house weigh heavily on my mind as do the commitments I make.  I saw that most of the threads I post in are about committing to doing things and I decided to withdraw from most of them while I continue to lighten my load. 

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: July 23, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
Just wanted to jump in and remind everyone to celebrate little victories!

A few days ago I thought about stopping off at Eileen Fisher to look at jeans (made in USA, ethically sourced, high reviews, etc.) but I refrained from even the temptation of browsing. I have two pairs of perfectly good jeans that will last me at least through the year. *knock on wood*

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #716 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
Gosh, sometimes this is such a struggle.  The easy thing is that I don't even get tempted at the clothing at any store.

The hard thing is that I have very few items that fit well.  The "I just had a baby" clothing that I've been wearing hangs on me.

But I don't have any "summer casual" clothing that fits.  (Yes I realize that I live in CA, and technically everything I wear is casual.)  I'm talking fitted shorts or capris.  What I have is either too big or too small.  Ignoring the size numbers (because they are meaningless in womens' clothing), I'm missing the size of "whatever I'm at".

I've been trying to lose those last 5-10 baby pounds since Jan.  And maybe I'll get there, and try everything on, and realize that the hips shifted again after baby #2 and I'll have to get rid of it all.

I'm perfectly okay with that.

But we are leaving soon for a 2 week vacation, and I will be living in casual clothing. I don't want to derail my weight loss, but the only stuff that fits is the stretchy post-baby clothing that's too big.  That's a bit dangerous.  Hm.  If only I had friends my size (think 10-12, not 0-2) who could donate clothing or swap with me.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #717 on: July 24, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
Gosh, sometimes this is such a struggle.  The easy thing is that I don't even get tempted at the clothing at any store.

The hard thing is that I have very few items that fit well.  The "I just had a baby" clothing that I've been wearing hangs on me.

But I don't have any "summer casual" clothing that fits.  (Yes I realize that I live in CA, and technically everything I wear is casual.)  I'm talking fitted shorts or capris.  What I have is either too big or too small.  Ignoring the size numbers (because they are meaningless in womens' clothing), I'm missing the size of "whatever I'm at".

I've been trying to lose those last 5-10 baby pounds since Jan.  And maybe I'll get there, and try everything on, and realize that the hips shifted again after baby #2 and I'll have to get rid of it all.

I'm perfectly okay with that.

But we are leaving soon for a 2 week vacation, and I will be living in casual clothing. I don't want to derail my weight loss, but the only stuff that fits is the stretchy post-baby clothing that's too big.  That's a bit dangerous.  Hm.  If only I had friends my size (think 10-12, not 0-2) who could donate clothing or swap with me.

I get a lot of castoffs from coworkers and friends and several of them are larger than me or overweight. I'm slender. I hav some very cute dresses that I cinch at the waist with a belt. Some of these are maternity and no one can tell, even the ppl who've given me the clothing will comment its a cute outfit, not realizing its the piece they gave away!
IDK if this would work for you , but it works for me. My body tends to fluctuate a bit also, and this way I'm covered no matter what my size happens to be.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #718 on: July 24, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
For me, this year has involved a lot of clothes shopping. After not buying clothes since 2011, some stuff's gotten long in the tooth, others I'm becoming less happy with the fit, and with my joint problems causing difficulty putting t-shirts on over my head (versus button up)... it was time to actually budget for clothing for the first time in my adult life.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #719 on: July 25, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »
I've decided to join the challenge. The other day I counted my dresses and realized I had forty of them, not counting skirts and separates. Clothes shopping is a big weakness of mine. I could probably go quite a while without buying a dress.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #720 on: August 03, 2015, 12:50:39 AM »
My grandma & I were browsing a clothing store the other day . the only temptation was purses . but I didn't see the perfect bag, so that was a success. However if I had I probably (grandma probably) would hav got it. I hav 3 medium sized already (one is actually a backpack) and that's my ideal size. I hav one super small one also. 3 of 4 are black. There's always a bag that goes with whatever I am wearing. Point blank : I do not need a bag.however,  If somebody happens to pass on the perfect bag to me, I will be happy to add it to my selection.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #721 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:14 AM »
Am starting to need to get bigger pants due to the growing baby belly.  I'm trying to decide if I just want to get a size up, or if I want to go for maternity. 

The odd thing is, because I've lost so much weight, my current pants are actually looser in the hips; they are just getting tight at the button, so I'm not sure a size up will work; but it seems like that would be better post-partum...

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: August 03, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »
Am starting to need to get bigger pants due to the growing baby belly.  I'm trying to decide if I just want to get a size up, or if I want to go for maternity. 

The odd thing is, because I've lost so much weight, my current pants are actually looser in the hips; they are just getting tight at the button, so I'm not sure a size up will work; but it seems like that would be better post-partum...

iowajes what about one of those belly band things? they let you leave your button undone and sort of wrap around the top of your pants to keep them on.

would be a really easy thing to make too if anyone you know has access to a serger ...

http://www.target.com/p/bematernity-by-ingrid-isabel-beband/-/A-13742281

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #723 on: August 03, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
iowajes what about one of those belly band things? they let you leave your button undone and sort of wrap around the top of your pants to keep them on.

would be a really easy thing to make too if anyone you know has access to a serger ...

http://www.target.com/p/bematernity-by-ingrid-isabel-beband/-/A-13742281

That's a good suggestion.  I have a serger, so I might google for a tutorial.
I've heard you can tell you are wearing your pants unbuttoned, which I'm not too excited about- but if I make it myself, I wouldn't be out almost anything. (Because, who am I kidding- I have fabric!)

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: August 03, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
It is August and I am still able to say I have not purchased a single item of clothing (or shoes, or purses, or scarf, etc) for myself in 2015 :)

I think the biggest key to my success was to unsubscribe from stores that send out emails with their specials.

I have also joined a Buy Nothing group and have been given some clothing and that has helped too.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #725 on: August 03, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Like TLS before me I am still at $0 for the year on clothing. I can even go so far as to say I have cleared out a TON of apparel that I used in my old hobby. I just finished a month long "sale" that I conducted via Facebook culminating in a one day event at my house.

Today I get to see if what hanging apparel remains will fit into one closet versus 2... not sure yet.

I also run an apparel design business and vowed to work through my boxes of blanks. I used to have many, many boxes and I see I am down to 2 boxes of hoodies, I've really pushed selling my inventory of them. Next up is marketing and selling a new set of designs on old T-shirt blanks. I am selling these at over 30% off full retail to get this inventory moved out.

I am making myself some samples to wear at the event in which I will be selling these, however, I am using existing used blanks of my own. I am not even going to make myself fresh new apparel because I have plenty of my own used blanks to use.

My fingers are crossed that I can continue for the remainder of the year with no clothing purchased (intimates and bathing suits are the exception, but I am now thinking I will make it a year with nothing new at all!)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #726 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
Like TLS before me I am still at $0 for the year on clothing. I can even go so far as to say I have cleared out a TON of apparel that I used in my old hobby. I just finished a month long "sale" that I conducted via Facebook culminating in a one day event at my house.

Today I get to see if what hanging apparel remains will fit into one closet versus 2... not sure yet.

I also run an apparel design business and vowed to work through my boxes of blanks. I used to have many, many boxes and I see I am down to 2 boxes of hoodies, I've really pushed selling my inventory of them. Next up is marketing and selling a new set of designs on old T-shirt blanks. I am selling these at over 30% off full retail to get this inventory moved out.

I am making myself some samples to wear at the event in which I will be selling these, however, I am using existing used blanks of my own. I am not even going to make myself fresh new apparel because I have plenty of my own used blanks to use.

My fingers are crossed that I can continue for the remainder of the year with no clothing purchased (intimates and bathing suits are the exception, but I am now thinking I will make it a year with nothing new at all!)

Wow, that is excellent. No clothing shopping and also pushing out stock. As a fellow business person , I am proud.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #727 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:36 PM »
Okay, I'm not at zero.  But I wasn't before.

So far this year:
$16 on underwear.
$10 on a new pair of shorts
$90 on swimsuits, because my current one gave up the ghost on vacation.  I replaced it with the only thing I could find in August in upstate NY.  Which was fine for the lake but NOT for lap swimming, which I discovered today, when I almost lost the top.

Hopefully I'm done for the year.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
Guys I know there have been complaints (from interlopers, I believe) about the shopping confessed to in this thread, but seriously, I've done so well even with my few exceptions! Sum totals 3/4 through the year:

$14 on a new bra in March, since my older ones didn't fit properly anymore; this is now in the main rotation

$25 on chelsea rain boots from J Crew

$8 on nice leather ballet flats...I still haven't started breaking these in! This is a bad shoe habit of mine. But my other pair of ballet flats ate it this summer.

And then on vacation around $30 for a beach cover-up, which I'm looking at as more of a souvenir purchase (my only one!) than a clothing budget item

$3.50 on a grey dress from a thrift store

Only $50.50! And this includes items I consider more in the need column than the want column. I was doing well last year too but compared to my past shopping which was out of control this is so amazing and so easy too! It helps that I've picked up tons of new to me clothes at swaps. I've gotten rid of a bunch of bags to twice, thredup, and donation too.

Next year I will need some new sandals come spring, and I may see if I can finagle boots or a coat out of Christmas, but otherwise, all good!

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #729 on: August 26, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »
As month 8 comes to a close I'm still going strong on this challenge.   Down from $1055 last year to $14 this year and that was for the cobbler.  Since I made it through my weak season,  summer,  I'm pretty much guaranteed to make it through the end of the year at this point.  So consider this my year in review.   

Even more than the saved $$ I like the realizations I've had via this challenge.   

1) Why did I still have department store credit cards this far into my FIRE journey?  Who knows but they're gone now thanks to this challenge.

2) Better inbox maintenance; unsubscribed to a barrage of marketing crap.  I wasn't really an inbox tempted shopper to begin with but who doesn't like less email.

3) I need to do a better job taking care of the clothes I do have.  I bought a new swimsuit last year and when I pulled it out this year it was already starting to dissolve.  I forced myself to make it work for this summer but I'll need to replace it next year and when I do I will do a better job of cleaning and storing properly.   Same advice for stains; treat quickly or scrap quickly.

4) My purse/wallet was in need of a makeover which I spun off into my own Declutter the Purse challenge. I feel so much lighter without all that stuff strapped to my shoulder.

5) I probably won't join in again next year given above swimsuit issue and undergarment needs but I'm sure to be more mindful thanks to this challenge.  I'm not sweating the 2016 spend because I got a handle on purposeful shopping and getting my wants in check with the 2015 challenge.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #730 on: September 06, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
Most of the clothes I wear were secondhand or were bought from consignment shops and I think that it really make a difference than buying new clothing. I spend less on clothing expenditures that way and it really paid off.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: September 06, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
Another HUGE  batch of clothing from coworkers. 2 massive bags stuffed with clothing and a cute little clutch. I didn't take all of it of course, but I took a good amount. Coworkers castoffs actually comprise a maybe half of my wardrobe. Excellent.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #732 on: September 07, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
Another HUGE  batch of clothing from coworkers. 2 massive bags stuffed with clothing and a cute little clutch. I didn't take all of it of course, but I took a good amount. Coworkers castoffs actually comprise a maybe half of my wardrobe. Excellent.
I just received about 5 items from my friend last weekend.  The items weren't exactly what I would have bought myself.  I'm forcing myself to wear the items within a month or I'm getting rid of them. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #733 on: September 08, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
5) I probably won't join in again next year given above swimsuit issue and undergarment needs but I'm sure to be more mindful thanks to this challenge.  I'm not sweating the 2016 spend because I got a handle on purposeful shopping and getting my wants in check with the 2015 challenge.

I've been "pretty good" - I've spent $45 of actual money on clothes, plus I used some of a gift card on clothes. I'm considering buying a blazer that I actually had my eye on last year but it was gone from the shelves before I pulled the trigger (I've been thinking about that jacket ever since... although now, thinking about it, I should probably check eBay and see if I can find last year's model). I've gotten more into sewing my own clothes and so have spent some money on fabric and patterns.

But even though I've still spent some cash on clothing myself, I agree that this challenge has helped make me much more purposeful and mindful about my clothes! I paired this challenge with a fairly serious paredown of my wardrobe, keeping only the things I really love and need. Seeing what I actually wear out of my much smaller wardrobe has helped me understand what I really love to wear (and what I should buy more of in the future).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »
I wish I could un-subscribe to this post because every time it pops up in my list of "new replies to your posts" I feel a pang of guilt<sigh>. Epic fail

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #735 on: September 08, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
I wish I could un-subscribe to this post because every time it pops up in my list of "new replies to your posts" I feel a pang of guilt<sigh>. Epic fail
Just think about how you can minimize your shopping costs.  Sometimes it isn't feasible to completely cut out the costs.  For example, we're trying to increase our grocery bill to help with our food boredom. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #736 on: September 08, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
Just think about how you can minimize your shopping costs.  Sometimes it isn't feasible to completely cut out the costs.  For example, we're trying to increase our grocery bill to help with our food boredom.

Also, BTW you can unsubscribe from a thread .

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #737 on: September 09, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »
How can I unsub from a thread? I didn't think you could. Mind you, its probably best if I stay here for the face punches! <wink>

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #738 on: September 09, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
How can I unsub from a thread? I didn't think you could. Mind you, its probably best if I stay here for the face punches! <wink>
The only way I've been able to stop getting notices in my unread threads is to delete all of my comments from a thread. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #739 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
The only way I've been able to stop getting notices in my unread threads is to delete all of my comments from a thread.

Directly to the right of the "reply" button is (on my fone) a button that reads "unnotify". I've used to stop notification on several threads.......
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:03:37 PM by riverffashion »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #740 on: September 10, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
Yes, riverffashion, but I believe that if I have posted on a thread, I'm hooked and can't get off. Using the notify button in the first place to receive notifications is different than receiving "new replies to your posts" on the top of the page. At least that's my understanding.
:-)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #741 on: September 10, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
Just to "notify" that I'm now off this challenge. After 3 years my clothes are mostly worn and scruffy and I've carefully started replacing. Of course, once I have  the holes in my increasingly streamlined wardrobe filled up, I will stop again.

EllieB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #742 on: September 11, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
I confess that I have failed in this challenge after indulging in a couple of clothes shopping sprees over the summer. I have now restarted my year-long shopping ban, starting on September 7th. I have so many clothes and shoes that I can make do with what I already have. My only exception is new trainers if necessary, as I suffer from plantar fasciitis and my feet need good support when I go out walking.

How is everyone else getting on?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: September 11, 2015, 07:02:18 AM »
Well, I haven't hit "no" (the jeans had to be replaced, they were no longer suitable to be worn to work) but I'm doing remarkably well.

Of course, I hate clothes shopping, so it has been really nice to have a reason to avoid it.

I actually have tubs of maternity clothes friends have given me and I can't even make myself try them on I hate clothes so much...

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #744 on: September 14, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Still 100% no purchases for myself.
Only 3 1/2 months left to go!!!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2015, 04:26:03 AM »
Congrats to anyone that hasn't bought things they didn't want to at the start of the challenge!

I said I would buy less and I certainly did, but I noticed I started browsing and thinking about clothing and buying more recently. I don't really NEED more, I WANT more. Not a good thing, especially because I want less stuff.

I was trying to pinpoint this and I think I browse (internet mostly, also secondhand) when I'm stressed. When I should be doing something else. Any tips?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
Maybe channel that energy into creating new looks with what you have? Or mending or altering. When you start to browse make that your trigger to clean out your closet (or do laundry) or something clothing related that will help you see your excess and how cool what you own already is. Sometimes I look through the latest trends and wear something I have a new way and then it becomes my favorite look of the season.

I broke this challenge twice in the past couple months.  No regrets. Bought a cheap belt that made existing stuff wearable and bought a cool hand screenprinted tshirt made by a friend.

I'm needing rainwear and putting it off because I don't actually want rainwear... Soon it will be unavoidable.

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »
Good tip to channel that creative energy. I know it is late in the game, but I want to join and see if I can stick it out for 3 months.
I'm going to have to check in for support; I really love looking good for work. Makes me feel more confident when I'm put-together.
Also after getting pregnant, having a baby, and still nursing at 18 months postpartum with no end in sight, my body keeps changing so I keep finding a need for clothes that fit and flatter. I'm super petitie, so anything baggy just looks ridiculous and sloppy on my small frame.
I sure hope I can hang in here with you all for the last three months!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
Rabbit and Sanne, I found the gazingus pin discussion in Your Money or Your Life helpful for letting go of craving things to look or feel a certain way. I used to shop in a way that was really habitual/compulsive, even when I had enough clothes. It was definitely about stress and a desire to achieve a certain feeling, but of course you never get that feeling, you just go around the merry go round after it. Getting off is nice! though I do still get lots of clothes it's now from clothing swaps, friends, giveaways, etc.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #749 on: October 05, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
I don't know if I'm going to make it!!!

My sneakers have holes in them. They have for awhile, but it's more noticeable now that it's getting cold out. I have other shoes or boots that I could wear some of the time, but my feet get brutal blisters if they are not comfortable properly fitting shoes. I may be able to manage until January.

I have two pairs of jeans left, which is plenty. One of them is annoying to wear. If I bend over they ride down far enough to see a couple inches of butt crack, and I am constantly pulling them up. Tight on the thighs so I can't pull them up far, but loose around the waist. The other pair is GREAT. They fit great and they are my go to jeans.... but they are developing holes in places where there can not be holes. I might try to see if I can learn how to patch them up.

I still have two work pants. One that's great. One that's annoying in a similar way as the jeans, but not as bad.

The other pants are getting tight after gaining a few pounds. Found out my scale was getting old and gradually lying more and more to me over the last few months to a year.

Anyway, I just needed to bitch about it. I'll make it one way or another! Maybe there will be another clothing swap and I can pick up some pants/jeans.