Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189035 times)

lise

Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #600 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
Lise, I know that the Housing works thrift shops in my area sell off clothing as rag lots to raise funds. I now bring them all my stained, unusable stuff (don't have space to store a ton for rags in my apt). Also our local farmers markets take fabric/clothing donations.

Thanks Norabird!  I have a housing works pretty close by to me.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
My level of time to throw away is when my fiance says "homeless people don't want that." Then it gets donated.

So I only tend to donate items that just don't fit.  But where should I donate things that "even the homeless shouldn't wear" ...  but could be recycled as rags or quilting as part of the garment is still ok?  Can these items still go to goodwill and they will "recycle" appropriately?

In my area, anything GW finds to be unfit for sale is binned up by the pallet and shipped off to the Salvation Army where it's distributed to the needy.  I don't think my khakis with a hole in the butt are THAT bad.  I can't wear them to work, but i'm sure free pants is better than no pants?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
Ok I've been on this challenge for a couple of years fairly successfully…my first replacement item needed to be bought - a pair of black trousers. I only had 3 pairs fit to be worn out, and I fell down and put a hole in the knee of one. Couldn't make do with only 2.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #603 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:47 AM »
I am a minimal clothes shopper. I have a suit that is at least 10 yrs old and is showing the wear. In 2013, I bought a new suit on sale in anticipation of a family wedding. Needed to crash diet to get into it and haven't worn it since last June. On Sunday last, my wife took the washing in from the line, held up a pair of my boxers and pointed at the holes - "WHY are you still wearing these?", she demanded. "They're the most comfortable pair I have" I replied sheepishly. "Not surprising, there is so little cloth left, it's like going Commnando!!!" she replied. To be fair, I have loads of boxers but they keep coming out!!

If I lose some weight, I will have a whole new wardrobe already bought but not fitting - yet!. 'Optimistic Buys!' I am not a clothes shopper because I don't fit normal sizes anymore. Shoes I buy, though!

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #604 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:31 AM »
Am I the only one left who hasn't purchased a single piece of clothing, shoes or accessories?

I haven't. Though I have posted my temptation here. I've also accepted some free things and done some refashioning.  Sewing a pencil skirt this morning. Eta. All from supplies I already had

I haven't purchased anything clothing, shoes, etc. either. I've donated a LOT of clothes and shoes/boots and accepted a few free items. Two days ago I noticed I wore a hole in one of my last two remaining pairs of jeans. Hopefully the last pair will make it to the end of the year. Or there's a clothing swap with some friends in 2 weeks where I might find a replacement. If not I'll have to start wearing the other pants I don't wear as often.

I'm still at zero too! I've been surprised at how easy it became after the first few weeks. I had developed this habit of going to the thrift store when I traveled for work to kill time in the evenings, but once I switched that to more productive activities (like hitting the hotel gym) the act of clothes shopping just kind of faded off of my radar.

But this is going to come to an end for me soon. I'm 3.5 months pregnant with my first, and the clothes that still fit are starting to dwindle. Thankfully we've hit dress season which will help me make it a little further. I don't even WANT to go clothes shopping, which honestly surprises me. It was never an activity that I dreaded before this challenge. Food for thought!

(Any maternity clothes shopping tips from others? I don't have friends with clothes I can borrow, unfortunately.)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #605 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
I have made some purchases this year and feel really good about it for these reasons -
1. Did not buy ANY clothing , shoes, etc last year.
2. Several items became worn out this year.
3. For work I am expected to dress professionally & stylishly. (Primary sourse of income is at high end beauty salon/spa.)
4. Previous to purchases I was wearing much attire for work, sleepwear and workout gear ( so all clothing was wearing out faster ) . 
5. With now a few designated pieces for sleep and exercise, everything is lasting better and laundry is not necessary as often actually, because items are not getting dirty as often .
6. My wardrobe is still rather minimal- before and after donating too small/too big/ uncomfortable clothing .
7. Almost all of additions were gift card purchases or castoffs from spendy coworkers. ( I am very lucky, considering what I am expected to wear at work ) .

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #606 on: May 22, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
Now that my trip is over, I'm finding this easier.  I don't regret any of the purchases of travel clothing though; I'm wearing the hiking pants and wide-brimmed hat for for field days at work, and they were far superior to anything I already owned for the type of trip we did. The Smartwool shirt got worn almost every day of the trip, and I expect to wear it to work frequently in the fall/winter. Last weekend I went through my wardrobe and did a sweep of summer clothes that I don't like anymore (floral prints just aren't me), and rotated out my winter/summer stuff.  I still have more than I need after paring down to only stuff that I enjoy wearing.  This weekend I'm going to take some time to figure out some new outfit combinations, and if there is an odd clothing piece out, rather than buying something to go with it, I'll just get rid of it.  Items that only go with that one other thing are so annoying, and make getting dressed in the morning more complicated than it needs to be.  Now I just need to buff up my arms a bit to get ready for all the sleeveless tops I'll be rocking.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #607 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
Are any of you super busty (like C/ D/ DD / DDD range)? What brand/type/style sports bra works for you?
I had some high impact ones from Walmart years ago when I was doing martial arts and was a full C but they don't fit anymore.

The socks were a good purchase. I've actually used my free gym membership in my apartment building the past two weeks. :)
 I want to get a serious sports bra so I can run or jump and not suffocate. I have mostly been walking and doing low impact cardio.

I had been planning on buying a bathingsuit for summer. I am now thinking about getting a dresskini bathingsuit so I can use it for  fun beach swimming or doing laps in my apartments pool. Rather than buy a one piece & a tankini top ( I already have bottoms)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #608 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
Are any of you super busty (like C/ D/ DD / DDD range)? What brand/type/style sports bra works for you?
I had some high impact ones from Walmart years ago when I was doing martial arts and was a full C but they don't fit anymore.

I hear you! I'm a D/DD and had a lot of trouble finding one for ballet. I ended up going to a large sporting goods place and just trying on everything I could find in the size range, and found a Nike brand one that was a really good fit.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: May 22, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »

I hear you! I'm a D/DD and had a lot of trouble finding one for ballet. I ended up going to a large sporting goods place and just trying on everything I could find in the size range, and found a Nike brand one that was a really good fit.

Yes.  Frustrating and yet so important to find good foundational undergarments!  I wish that I was a C / D!  In my fantasy world, that would make it super easy to find a bra that works for me.

I don't have suggestions for sports bras, but as Zikoris said, when bra shopping in general, I try on everything in my size, so to optimize your chances of finding something that works, go to a place with a good selection. 

And although you may have a sense of what works best for you (underwire, not underwire, racer back, demi-cup, full coverage, etc) I've found it's good to try on stuff you wouldn't normally like at least occasionally, because your shape (distribution as opposed to size) may shift around as you age and things that used to not work may now work.  Also, periodically go to a good bra store for a fitting by an expert.  Some research suggests that many women (80 %!) are wearing the wrong size.  source:  many! (http://www.bing.com/search?q=women+wearing+wrong+size+bra&form=IE11TR&src=IE11TR&pc=LCJB)

And now, I'm going to stop before I get told off for giving shopping advice in a thread that's all about not shopping!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #610 on: May 23, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
Zikoris & PJ thanks for the advice. I just want to be mindful with my purchases (not buying cheapo sports bras that can't support me) and I definitely need the right fitting bra if I am going to be working out and getting back to my wardrobes size.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #611 on: May 23, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
In toronto this weekend for the first time and wandered around Kensington market area. No purchases! I thought about buying a cute $5 plaid vintage dress, but it was a hair too snug and a little too tight to be totally flattering. In the past I'd have gone for this, or for something else, so I'm pretty proud!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
(Waves at norabird ... welcome to Toronto!)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #613 on: May 23, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
PJ, everyone really is so darn nice!!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: May 23, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
PJ, everyone really is so darn nice!!

Yup!  It's all flowers and butterflies around here, all the time! 

(Maybe not.  But I'm glad you're enjoying it here!)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: May 24, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
I dyed a pair of jeans today. They are still drying so I can't tell how they turned out. I'm pretty optimistic.  They aren't really anything special, but they fit well. I've had them for 6 or 7 years. Wore them heavily in the beginning then gained weight and put them away. Lost some weight a year ago and have been wearing them a lot since. Saw a photo of myself in them and realized the color/ wear/ fading all just screamed that they were nearly ten years old...  So I'm dying them black, hoping they'll end up a very dark blue.  I hope that will up the style look and lessen the "mom jean" factor.

I did buy the dye. $2.29. I think I'll include it on my annual spreadsheet as a clothing expense, but I'm still counting myself in for this challenge.

ETA:  The jeans are perfect. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:06:04 AM by PMG »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
I cut two tops into rags. I am really enjoying paring down without buying more clothes.  I am still enjoying wearing my best clothes all the time instead of my everyday stuff.  I suspect that when I fit into some of the smaller clothes in my wardrobe they will go out since they may not be flattering right now.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
Found my new exercise shoes today- used the previous pair for hikes/walks/workouts nearly everyday for 4 years. Way beyond what I should have. Anyway, used up the rest of the Macy's gift card, shoes were marked down , and extra 15% discount . paid out $30 cash . not bad .

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #618 on: May 24, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
BTW , I love that I have been feeling that I don't want or need anything extra for a trip. I hav everything I need - be it clothes for warm weather or cold .
Leaving at 4am for AK to visit Dad , hav everything I need .

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: May 26, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
Well, I finally cracked - went to the mall to buy tank tops that I could maybe have written off as essential underwear purchases (I discovered a few shirts that I own and like really need tank tops underneath them for modesty reasons). But then I went and bought a dress too. It was reasonably priced but absolutely nonessential. Oh well. Back on the wagon!

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #620 on: May 26, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
Seconding RIVERFFASHION to say that thanks to this challenge I just returned from my first trip, in probably a decade, where shopping for something new was not a part of my vacation prep work. 

Now that we are into spring I’m also kicking ass on wearing new combos of old clothes and building a donation pile for the ‘joy-less ensembles’.

Approaching the 2015 halfway mark and I’m still only at $14 for shoe repair.  Woo Hoo!

lise

« Reply #621 on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »

I'm a D.  I have purchased three different styles of  Moving Comfort bra's via REI outlet and they are great!  I like that they have underwire and do up at the back like a conventional bra and you don't have to pull them over your head. 

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #622 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
Thanks lise! Yeah getting in and out of sports bras when I'm this top heavy is a total workout/pain. Ive never seen one with underwire, just evil elastic and stuff. I still haven't bought a sports bra yet and have never been to an rei but I think there is one nearby.

I have decided 100% I will not be buying cute workout gear this summer. I have tons of free t-shirts I never wear so they now have a use. 3lbs down. Another 7 and I can wear 2 more pairs of slacks. I'm maybe 15 pounds away from 4-6 dresses I have packed away.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #623 on: May 27, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »
I just have to report that it is just about June and I am still sitting at $0 for clothing/shoes/intimate apparel. And though I did not sign up my semi MMM DH for this challenge, I am proud to say that his total sales include $48 for tennis shoes(he is a EEE width shoe, not much chance of anything at goodwill) and now he just spent $90 on shorts (again very special sizing for him)

This is the very best we've both done on clothing and I think part of it is each year I sign up for this challenge and fail. I really, really want to make it a full year damn it!

I may have to buy a new swim suit, we have a pool and my suits wear out from the chemicals/sun. I am still holding out hope I can get what I have let to last this full season!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #624 on: May 27, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
Tempted to buy a new dress for a wedding this weekend. Then I thought "God, I have some really cute skirts. I could wear one of them with a cardigan instead." Purchase averted, AND I realized how much I love some of the pieces in my closet.

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: May 28, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »
Still $0 for me on clothes, shoes and accessories too :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
This is the very best we've both done on clothing and I think part of it is each year I sign up for this challenge and fail. I really, really want to make it a full year damn it!

I may have to buy a new swim suit, we have a pool and my suits wear out from the chemicals/sun. I am still holding out hope I can get what I have let to last this full season!

My friend has a pool (almost "used to have" - they will be moving in just more than a month and she is SO glad to not have pool maintenance perpetually on her to-do list!)  Their social life is not as active anymore, but they used to have large groups of people spontaneously around, and so the pool got a lot of use.  But often people came with no bathing suit.  My friend put out a call to friends, saying she would take any and all extra bathing suits to have as spares for visitors.  She got quite a few, in various sizes.  Some of them were old and thin, others would not quite fit right on the person borrowing them.  So sometimes people would layer two of them on (or wear one but layer an old tank top over it).

We also did this back when I played water polo in high school - vicious game!  You needed a back up suit for when the other girls tried to tear your suit off you.  Ouch!

So I guess my suggestion(s) are 1) ask your friends for old suits - they might give you lots!  And 2) consider layering to maintain decency :-)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #627 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
Yay! I just got rid of several pieces of clothing between the consignment store and the rag bag.  My closet is suddenly easier to find things in and I can see all my summer shirts in one quick glance (not many of them left).  Still no clothing purchases this year, but a quick look around a store this week reminded me that not going into stores is still the best weapon I have.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: May 31, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Back on the wagon with no buy for clothing. I bought some clothing to work on a uniform for work, streamline my closet, got rid of a lot of clothing that wasn't working. May was a very bad month for spending in all categories. June is back to "normal" with no buy on clothing p, hopefully for the rest of the year (immediate goal is 3 months).

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #629 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
I took one pair of flats on a weekend wedding trip (I like packing minimalist).

It was an outdoor wedding in the country. And it rained all. weekend. long.

When we finally made it back to our hotel post-wedding, I had to decide between disgusting muddy and wet, or just sopping wet (after cleaning them in the hotel tub). I went for the latter. I even tried drying them with the hotel hair dryer the next morning, but after an hour they were still soaked.

The next morning, I squished into Target, found the cheapest pair of flip flops I could find, walked barefoot to the counter, and wore the flip flops for the remainder of the day and the drive home (we were visiting friends in a hospital on the way home, so I had to have shoes). My flats are currently air-drying on my back porch, so we'll see how long that process takes (it's already been two days of air drying and they're still damp!)

So, long story short, purchase made. Back on the wagon.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
My flats are currently air-drying on my back porch, so we'll see how long that process takes (it's already been two days of air drying and they're still damp!)

I had a similar problem in London (but with two pairs of shoes, so I could swap out without buying anything).  Stuff your shoes with newsprint overnight, then swap it out with fresh dry newsprint in the morning.  The speed of drying out will depend on the material and how willing you are to wear "almost" dry shoes.  (Do not wear almost dry shoes with almost dry socks from last night's handwashing in the hotel sink.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #631 on: June 01, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
To help me do no clothing shopping, I host clothing swaps. I started a new thread if people have any questions: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/90-of-my-wardrobe-is-$0-new-to-me-and-changes-every-6-months!/

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: June 01, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
My flats are currently air-drying on my back porch, so we'll see how long that process takes (it's already been two days of air drying and they're still damp!)

I had a similar problem in London (but with two pairs of shoes, so I could swap out without buying anything). 

Just wanted to say that London killed my black gap sneaker flats (No idea what to actually call these...lace-ups? oxfords?). They were never great quality and they bled through to my toes and never dried out and just ugh. I have rainboots now in case I ever go back! Lots of audible squish, squish, squish on that trip whenever I took a step.

Packing can be hard--I overpacked for a trip last week, and then underpacked for the one following. Sometimes you just miss the sweetspot. Or maybe I need to plan better!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: June 02, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Ok I've been on this challenge for a couple of years fairly successfully…my first replacement item needed to be bought - a pair of black trousers. I only had 3 pairs fit to be worn out, and I fell down and put a hole in the knee of one. Couldn't make do with only 2.

Impressive!

I have managed to spend no money on clothes so far, but was down to one pair of long pants before I could wear capris.  I will need to lose about 20 pounds in order to fit into other pants I own.  So, I'll be getting healthier while getting frugal.  :)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
Just returned to the on sale sweater I bought at J Crew last month when I got caught underdressed on a cool day. I really liked that sweatshirt! Wore it a lot last month while postponing the return. But did I *need* it? Do I have oodles of spare cash that it makes send for me to send $42 off for something that's not a necessity? No. Still feel kind of sad about letting it go. But that's me and my deal. It is just a thing and I have a clothing swap coming up and have added more stuff from stoops lately. So. At least I am back to not having bought any clothes for the year...

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #635 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
I'm an F-cup (34F), and as my two AWESOME sports bras are both degrading, I've now taken to wearing both of them for basketball & netball. I buy a brand called "Intimo", and they don't have an underwire.

They're the only brand I can find that actually doesn't make my breasts bounce. Nike, Bonds, Berlei, and all those other brands that big-boobied sports women like the Williams sisters endorse are lame, and don't provide anything for my breasts. I buy them a couple of cup sizes too small, so my breasts feel like they are bound to my chest. Not sure if it's healthy, but it feels good. Can a bra be unhealthily small?

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #636 on: June 09, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »
Haven't bought anything since February. But I lost my sportsbra last weekend, so I'll need to buy a new one I'm afraid.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: June 09, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
So for the year I'm up to
1) New jeans (to replace the ones that had massive holes that made them no longer work appropriate, even once patched- I still wear them on weekends.)
and
2) three-pack of new sports bras.

The sports bras were fairly necessary. My previous ones are at least a decade old and a 34. The new ones are a 38. With the soreness from my pregnancy, I needed a bra that fit. Sports bras were a lot cheaper than a regular bra.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: June 09, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
GF came home with new white undershirts for me yesterday. They are anti-bacon-neck and actually white. I haven't bought undershirts since 2005. It was probably time. Still feels like giving in.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #639 on: June 09, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
Looks like I'll be needing a pair of shorts for summer. The heat is killing me already and it's only the beginning of June. I think I'll sew a few tank tops as well from material I already have.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #640 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »
I acquired a blouse I love, as well as a few long sleeves that I was lacking . all free from residents of my complex.
Found a supremely comfortable new pair of walking/hiking/gym shoes ( in one ) a couple weeks ago - excellent find on sale plus additional 15% with rewards card. Out with the pair 4+ years old pair- recently began massacreing my feet. Good riddance!

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: June 09, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »
Still doing well on this challenge. I did have to buy the husband and myself a pair of hats in California after we sound up horribly sunburned following a 10-mile bike ride our first day of vacation. I'm pretty sure they don't even sell sunscreen in Alaska, so we didn't think to apply any. I was terrified to expose my lobster-red face to the sun for the rest of the trip, so I now own a $10 fisherman's hat. I've decided these count as vacation and not clothes expenses.

I think this has come up before, but I'm a huge sucker for the $10 off $10 or more coupons that JC Penney sends out. Even though I don't "need" anything, I plan to spend my lunch break doing a little recreational browsing and attempting to spend as close to that $10 as possible on an item or two to bring some pep to the wardrobe. I'm really hoping to find a gray cardigan.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
Bought a new pair of running shoes, but I excluded them (buy 3-4 pairs/year based on how much I run). 

I had to buy a dress because I'm a bridesmaid.  However, the awesome bride e-mailed us when the dress was on sale for $50 (from $188).  I also found a free shipping code online.  Shoes are still an issue, but I put the word out to a few friends with ridiculous shoe collections and my size foot.  I'm hoping to borrow a pair of heels and get away from this incident with a $55 dress (this excludes three flights and gifts). 

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #643 on: June 09, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »
Went on honeymoon. Underpacked (again). MADE DO (AKA bought NO clothes).

Also got some wear out of those sandals I had to buy when I underpacked on my last trip. They're growing on me...

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #644 on: June 11, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
Bought a new pair of running shoes, but I excluded them (buy 3-4 pairs/year based on how much I run). 

I had to buy a dress because I'm a bridesmaid.  However, the awesome bride e-mailed us when the dress was on sale for $50 (from $188).  I also found a free shipping code online.  Shoes are still an issue, but I put the word out to a few friends with ridiculous shoe collections and my size foot.  I'm hoping to borrow a pair of heels and get away from this incident with a $55 dress (this excludes three flights and gifts).
Isn't the bride meant to buy your dress and shoes if she's insisting on a particular dress/pair of shoes?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: June 11, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »

Isn't the bride meant to buy your dress and shoes if she's insisting on a particular dress/pair of shoes?

I have never had that experience, so maybe it is regional?

For me, part of agreeing to be a bridesmaid is agreeing to purchase the dress (and possibly shoes).  I have seen people back out when they find out the dress is an insane amount of money (like $400. Most people expect around $150-200.)  I really like brides who don't care what the shoes are. I hate having to buy certain shoes.

The only thing I've ever had brides provide is jewelry.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:25:22 AM by iowajes »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #646 on: June 11, 2015, 06:26:30 AM »
The radio today said that a study (no citation) found the average woman spends "only" $1200 on clothes each year.

ONLY??? ONLY???  Oh, my god!

They also said pieces are only worn an average of 7 times.
I've worn the shoes I bought to go with my wedding dress 5 times, and you don't get more occasional specific than that!  I can't imagine only wearing normal clothes 7 times.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: June 11, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

I have never had that experience, so maybe it is regional?

For me, part of agreeing to be a bridesmaid is agreeing to purchase the dress (and possibly shoes).  I have seen people back out when they find out the dress is an insane amount of money (like $400. Most people expect around $150-200.)  I really like brides who don't care what the shoes are. I hate having to buy certain shoes.

The only thing I've ever had brides provide is jewelry.
+1

I've been a bridesmaid more than I would like, and I've always had to purchase the dress and some sort of shoe.  Some brides let you wear any style in a certain color, but I never have the color.  On occasion, I've had to pay to have my hair and make-up done too. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #648 on: June 11, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
The radio today said that a study (no citation) found the average woman spends "only" $1200 on clothes each year.

ONLY??? ONLY???  Oh, my god!

They also said pieces are only worn an average of 7 times.
I've worn the shoes I bought to go with my wedding dress 5 times, and you don't get more occasional specific than that!  I can't imagine only wearing normal clothes 7 times.

Ya I agree that amount is incredibly high, but I believe it! Before banning shopping, I spent maybe $100 every 4 months- so saving a bit still.... But I've worn each item many many times! Esp shoes.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #649 on: June 12, 2015, 01:31:06 AM »
I'm so lucky for living in The Netherlands where the whole wedding thing is less of a big deal and people spend way less money on this. Sure, there are people who go overboard but it's definitely not the default. Also, bridesmaids are the little ones, the children/nieces and not the friends. Every wedding I attended I could just wear something nice I picked out myself. I bought a dress once, the other times I just wore a nice dress I already owned.

ONLY 1200?! Omg. I should say however, that I used to spend a lot.. Maybe 1200.. A lot of second-hand stuff but it does add up if you're buying a lot.. I definitely don't do that anymore! Good for me.

That being said, I did not spend that much on clothing as last year and last year not that much as the year before that. Improving. The capsule wardrobe really helps! I thought I had a sort of new wardrobe when I switched clothes last season. Awesome!

Right now, my pants are starting to fall apart and I already did not have that many. One has as failing zipper (should fix this) and the other has tears (non repairable unfortunately, can wear this at home/travelling but not to work) and two are to big (tried hot washing them). That leaves one grey summer pair.  I should buy new ones.. I'm going to visit the second-hand shops.