Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189093 times)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
I'm going to drop out of this challenge. I've realised it's not good for my mental wellbeing. However, I do commit to only buying clothes mindfully - ie clothes that will get a lot of wear. I still probably won't buy very much, but I need to mentally switch off the no new clothes this year.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2015, 06:11:12 AM »
I'm going to drop out of this challenge. I've realised it's not good for my mental wellbeing. However, I do commit to only buying clothes mindfully - ie clothes that will get a lot of wear. I still probably won't buy very much, but I need to mentally switch off the no new clothes this year.

This is why I could not officially join this challenge myself and only joined to be "mindful."  I have decluttered my clothes drastically in the last few years and just did another round.  But now, I would like to round out my wardrobe with loved pieces. I am still not loving what I have, I can be quite fickle, but I would like to add much loved pieces mindfully. 

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Two months down and ten to go!!!
Nothing at all purchased in Feb :o)

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
I have failed miserably. I am a sucker for cute and comfortable yoga/exercise/outdoorsy clothes. Which I wear almost every day, so it all really does get worn. And I suppose it does make me happy. How do I tell myself I have enough? Or maybe I just need to accept that this is who I am. Clearly what I am doing is not working. Hitting the reset button for March. Sigh.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
You can do it! I'm also a sucker for comfort clothes until one day I realized I wear my work wardrobe more than anything else and I hadn't worn some of my favorite weekend clothes in months. I hate shopping for work clothes, so that has helped the shopping addiction.

Frugalgermanmaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2015, 05:06:51 AM »
Two months are over now and I still haven't bought any clothes :-), I am a little bit proud of myself, although maybe I shouldn't be - staying at home with a newborn baby requires only a handful of clothes, really. So whenever I see something cute (which doesn't happen very often) I have to ask myself: Can I breastfeed with it? And in most cases it's a clear NO.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »
I broke down and bought a pair of jeans this weekend.  But nothing else but that one pair.

I have a "jeans" dress code business meeting with clients, and there is no way it would have been acceptable to wear a patched pair.

So I got the darkest wash I could find, knowing they will stay looking nicer as they fade.  The fabric seems thin though, so hopefully I get good life on them like the last pair I had which lasted 3-4 years of steady wear.  I will keep the patched pair in rotation though.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
Wandered into a Brooklyn Industries store and was tempted by a button down that was on sale; thankfully it stretched a little too much at the chest and they didn't have a medium, but I am stupidly looking at it online now. Going to closer the tab and focus on work. I have my cell phone bill, a birthday thing, and general life costs coming up and I don't have the money to spare even if I had a need for it. I'm not quite sure what pulled me in, because it was a very good weekend and I shouldn't have needed a pick me up. Maybe it just is a craving for spring and a new spring piece.

I ran into a woman yesterday who I previously met at a clothing swap and who is considering moving to Chicago, so maybe that move will happen soon and she'll set up a new swap beforehand. Sometimes I really just like getting a new infusion of clothes. Or maybe I'll bring some of the pieces I own that might have resale value to the local thrift store this week and leave open the possibility of treating myself to something in trade value there. I'll try bringing back some sweaters that have gone unworn lately back into the rotation too.

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »
I'm in! Have kind of been in for awhile without knowing it. Unsubscribed awhile ago to all of the emails from stores to avoid temptation. Already anything I have bought has been from thrift stores, mainly Value Village (Savers to most of the U.S.). I started a new job Dec. 8 where I can only wear jeans on Fridays, after years of being able to wear jeans to work. We have just suffered through the coldest February EVER on record! (Toronto area) and I couldn't bring myself to wear dresses/skirts all of the time. I picked up one pair of Banana Republic dress pants at VV for $10, then my sis came to the rescue and 'lent' me three more pairs! I had 2 pairs so now I'm set. My sis hasn't worked since having her 2 kids and dress pants can last forever if taken care of so I'm thrilled. I purchased some nylons as replacements for holey ones in February and that was it. However - over January and February I brought in over $200 in cash from selling little worn/used clothes and purses locally and on ebay. So more than made up for the few things I bought and I plan on keeping the income stream going in March! Thanks for the motivating thread as I have told myself so many times lately that I don't need ANY more clothes!!!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:12 AM »
March will hopefully be easier. I have a plan and coupons for New York & Company (I found a couple dresses last month there but I waited til I had $10 off $30 purchase coupons to snag them). I bought Lolita shoes for my Otakon cosplay & I got invited to a swanky hotel tea party where everyone is dressing Lolita so I get to wear my outfit at least 4 days this year! The rest of my order arrived from Japan. The skirt, knee highs and fascinators look divine. I need to add a lot of fabric to the top since an XXL in Japan isn't even an American Medium. 1 Blouse,1 petticoat, a bit of mods to the top & a lace parasol and I should have everything I need.

I also desperately need an evening gown so my fiance and I are thinking about going thrifting to work on his cosplay/get him a sports coat/suit jacket & look for suitable evening dresses for me. I sadly had to skip this past weekend's ball since tickets were expensive and neither of us had anything suitable to wear. Hopefully I can go to at least one this year.

lise

« Reply #410 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »

This is why I could not officially join this challenge myself and only joined to be "mindful."  I have decluttered my clothes drastically in the last few years and just did another round.  But now, I would like to round out my wardrobe with loved pieces. I am still not loving what I have, I can be quite fickle, but I would like to add much loved pieces mindfully.

Yes, unofficial member also.  Mindful shopping only, just replacing what I need.  Although I have already slipped up with a pair of winter boots that I didn't need but I know I'll actually wear a lot. 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »
Reading this post (http://www.donebyforty.com/2015/03/the-full-cost.html) I realized that in my thinking about the shirt I wanted I was forgetting about the environmental aspect. Where was it made? How were the people treated? Why are clothes so cheap and disposable now? Am I exploiting labor by thinking that I should be able to buy a new piece of clothing for $25?

I don't so much mind getting extra clothes when they're cast-offs--that seems like sensible avoidance of waste. But buying stuff new is *only* creating more waste, right? It's not ethical.

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »
Hello All - I am back from my non-mustachian holiday and am happy to report that I did not buy the dreaded souvenir t-shirt!  Go me!  I made it through all of February with no money spent on clothing. In fact, I didn't buy anything on the trip except a Mickey keychain.  Useful and fun reminder of the family time spent.

When I got home I did have a moment of weakness at costco and bought a skirt and pants for spring...but promptly returned them.  It is still -40 here so I really don't need spring clothes. I think it was because I wanted to hold on to that feeling of holiday and warm weather etc and I went to my default of shopping.  But I took them back the next day and am still on track! I do need to figure out what I need for work wear for the summer. I find this is such a hard time to dress for.  My office is freezing because it is way over air conditioned but then it is boiling hot outside.  I find it hard to mix business looks with the summer clothing I like (shorts and tank tops!) LOL!  I think I have two solid summer work outfits...so I may need to piece together two more.  I arranged a clothing swap a few years back...maybe something like that again would be a good option.

Anyhow, that is where I am at! I hope everyone else is doing well!  2 months down...10 more to go!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #413 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »
I am reaching a place between the too big clothes I have thrown out and the too small clothes that are waiting for me to lose more weight.  I have enough clothes to get through but i will be wearing the same things a lot.  That is fine with me for now since most of them are really nice things which I used to wear rarely and now wear every week since they will be too big soon.

Why was I wearing less flattering clothes all the time and saving the cuter clothes for rare occasions?  I feel so much happier wearing things that I really like instead of meh things.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #414 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Sooo...

I was jogging last night and the dog cut in front of me while we were really moving. I tried to change course, but it's icy here and I went down. I am looking to repair a skid hole in a very thin nylon puffer coat.

Also toasted the gloves I have had for 4+ years. Nice thin, seam free w/ thinsulate.

If anybody has a solution to these problems, let me know.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:13 AM »
I bought a $37 J.Crew pencil skirt on eBay, so I'm technically out;  however, my other black pencil skirt died, and it was my only work-appropriate skirt, so I don't feel bad about buying a new one.  Also, I'm planning to sell a few clothing items this week.

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2015, 11:35:07 AM »
Wow I can't believe it is March and I am still in this game! :D

I have not bought a single thing. When we started the challenge I gave myself leeway to buy some basics at thrift stores if I really really wanted something new, but I have yet to do that. 

When I get tempted I just remind myself "You have everything you need," and I feel at peace and move on. Or I ask "Will this truly add happiness to my life?" and the answer is always no.  MMM wrote an article about asking yourself this question which really resonated with me.

Back when my husband and I started coming around to MMM style living, he challenged me to not buy a pair of shoes for 6 months, and I remember being appalled that he even thought that was a reasonable request! Haha! That was 3 years ago. It is good to know I have grown as a person.

I went to the mall last week for the first time this year to help my husband get some new work shirts.  I was really surprised with my emotional reaction!  I started to feel really uncool. I felt like I should start buying all this stuff to make me look & feel better.

It made me happy that I can just avoid malls and not feel bad about myself. But it also made me feel sad for everyone still in the Matrix. I totally used to be there, and it is so easy to get sucked in! :(

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
OK--I am sitting in a store that is part coffee shop (which is why I am here), part clothing store.  I was just going to write that although I surrounded by cool t-shirts, I am not in the least tempted by them.  BUT, just now, I glanced to my right, and there is a forest green (maybe my favorite color) t-shirt that says "GAME ON! LIFE IS GOOD", which is a nice message.  It also has a picture of a helmet with the number....wait for it.....94 on it.  So that got my attention!!!  Just for fun, I will look at the price tag.  $32!  No way!  Now if it were a hockey helmet instead of a football helmet...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
I'm not sure if I've failed or not.  In the past week I've purchased:

2 pairs of running shoes.  These are duplicates of the discontinued model I'm currently running in.  Deeply discounted and delay the hassle of having to find a new shoe for another year.

A riding vest.  Not on my list of items, but it's the perfect elegant riding vest, packable down, so I'll use it as a pillow and extra layer for the Peru trip, and doesn't add to my work wardrobe, which is really where the closet bloat is.

A North Face jacket.  I gave in to perusing the clearance racks when I was in TJ Maxx looking for certain travel items yesterday.  They had this one jacket in my size for 50% off retail price, and it fits me perfectly, is black with tasteful pinstriping, just the right articulation in the shoulders and elbows, and just the right length and cut for a winter riding jacket, in a material that won't collect hay.  I left it in the store yesterday, but then I went back this morning to return the one little item I'd purchased, tried the jacket on again and bought it.  I know I'll be happy about this when next winter rolls around (this one appears to be over).

Tempted fate by trying on a pair of designer jeans on clearance for $17.80 at Nordstrom Rack, but left them in the store.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »

Tempted fate by trying on a pair of designer jeans on clearance for $17.80 at Nordstrom Rack, but left them in the store.

Suspect you've failed LOL… but its Ok you can start again. This thread comes with free resets :)

Wupper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2015, 03:46:32 PM »
I'm late to the party, but I'm in.

I will not buy any clothing, or accessories, for the remainder of 2015. No exceptions.

Natcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »
Congrats to everyone who has made it two months without buying clothes.

I've been doing great. I've only spent $160 on clothing so far, and that was my wedding dress. Prior to mmm I would have spent several grand for it. Thank you everyone for keeping me motivated.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #422 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »

I've been doing great. I've only spent $160 on clothing so far, and that was my wedding dress. Prior to mmm I would have spent several grand for it. Thank you everyone for keeping me motivated.

Wow. this is great. Would love to see your dress. Is it second hand? Where did you buy it?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #423 on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »

Suspect you've failed LOL… but its Ok you can start again. This thread comes with free resets :)

Ha, yes, I'm probably being too easy on myself.  I was only considering it a partial fail because I've knocked a few things off of my initial list of exceptions, and my main challenge is to not buy any new office or gym clothes.  This is a big year for me in that I finally have a horse that I can take to every type of show, trail ride and other activity that I've been missing out on for years with my umm, "special" horse, so I knew I'd be spending some on riding-related clothing, and just hoping to keep it in check.  But it's a slippery slope and I shall repent by taking my breeches allowance off of my list of exceptions.  I also decided that I could do without the sandals that were on the list, so that's something.

Not going to spend any time regretting the running shoes because my current pair will probably wear out before the end of the year, and shopping for running shoes is one type of shopping I truly loathe.

Natcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #424 on: March 08, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »

Wow. this is great. Would love to see your dress. Is it second hand? Where did you buy it?

It's a white pencil dress very similar to this one http://www.lyst.com/clothing/victoria-beckham-fitted-pencil-dress-white/?product-gallery=29551684

After purchasing it I went to bridal shop with my mother where I tried on several "real" wedding dresses that just didn't wow either of us and were going to cost over 2000 with taxes and alterations. So she agreed that I had made the right choice but bought me a sparkly bridal sash to dress up my dress. It's not really my style but it makes her happy. She also wants to have a local seamstress make me a bridal skirt to wear during the ceremony (in the forest) that she's selling my prom dress to pay for, very mmm of her.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2015, 06:19:36 AM »

It's a white pencil dress very similar to this one http://www.lyst.com/clothing/victoria-beckham-fitted-pencil-dress-white/?product-gallery=29551684

After purchasing it I went to bridal shop with my mother where I tried on several "real" wedding dresses that just didn't wow either of us and were going to cost over 2000 with taxes and alterations. So she agreed that I had made the right choice but bought me a sparkly bridal sash to dress up my dress. It's not really my style but it makes her happy. She also wants to have a local seamstress make me a bridal skirt to wear during the ceremony (in the forest) that she's selling my prom dress to pay for, very mmm of her.

Oh that is lovely!! Great find for a classy inexpensive wedding dress!

So, I usually have a bad habit of only folding clean laundry, like, once every 6 weeks. Not even kidding. It just piles up into a huge clothes mountain on the futon in our spare room and stresses me out. It doesn't seem to bother my boyfriend but I really hate it... it makes it SO hard to get dressed in the morning and find the things you're looking for. Last weekend, while my boyfriend was assembling our new Ikea dresser (less MMM, I know, LOL), I attacked the laundry mountain and folded everything in preparation. And since then, I've stayed TOTALLY ON TOP OF IT!! Like, every time I do a load of laundry, I just fold it right away! And now that I'm getting in the habit, it's not even hard! I know this is so basic but OMG it just puts me in such a better mood.

And how is it related to this challenge? Well now that ALL of my clothes are actually in my closet/drawers at any given time (minus a few things that are dirty), I can clearly see that I have an UNBELIEVABLE SHIT TON OF CLOTHES!!! Also there were a few things I always felt short on and was considering breaking the challenge to buy 1 or 2 additional (like sports bras) that I can now see I have enough, if only I will keep them in one place where they are easy to find :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
*sigh* took a detour this weekend and am rather disappointed.  Bought a pair of jeans and a dress.  OK- back on the wagon for the rest of March.  Today's a new day, right?

lise

« Reply #427 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »
Natcat - love the wedding dress! 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
Oops--bought a bra at GAP ($14 on sale). I know I only went in because I was in a crummy mood (lady worries). However my existing bras don't fit quite as I want and may end up getting the heave-ho soon. I suppose I forgive myself but want to be careful and am re-setting.

Did at least take some clothes for resale though I only offloaded 6 items for $25 total. Need to hold a clothing swap soon--resale is so spotty and a bit of a logistical headache since I'm carless. It's nice to earn a little money (and to avoid buying anything afterwards) and to clear clothes out, but at a certain point there are diminishing returns. I may try to start wearing some of the items I couldn't sell, since if I'm still going to have the items in my wardrobe I might as well take advantage--plus it's a way of evaluating whether they give me pleasure or not.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: March 09, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
I tore a hole in the knee of a pair of jeans.  Since I wear jeans every day, I tried to go a full week with the same pair.  I finally broke down and bought a used pair on eBay ($15 including shipping, price tag new is $115). 

I also bought a pair of sunglasses after my dog destroyed my only pair.

The dog ruining the sunglasses was definitely my fault.  I left them where she could reach them, and I didn't exercise her enough.  Oh well!  I'm resetting! 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: March 09, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »
I hemmed the new jeans that I broke down and got.  I have to say, I am SO glad I broke down and got the new ones.   Having these ones made me realize how ratty my old jeans are, and how I really shouldn't have been wearing them to work.  I still have the old ones, with the darned spots in the inner thigh and will wear them at home to preserve the life of the new ones, but new ones really were needed.

Pants

« Reply #431 on: March 10, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
I still haven't bought anything. There are some items that would make my life easier if I had them (casual pants that are not yoga or track pants) but I've resisted the urge to buy. Am also using up my make up and toiletries... which is just as well as I've had large health related bills for me and the dogs. Gah.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: March 10, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
Still going strong, woo!  I was around new clothes for the first substantially long period of time this weekend on a shopping trip with the boyfriend.  Yep, I still hate malls.  But he desperately needed a style upgrade, so I was happy to help him - and I think he got pretty good value for money (well, relatively, since I can't get him to shop for clothes at thrift stores...yet).  I wasn't tempted much at all by the women's clothes, and didn't really browse much, but I did get a bit of a roving eye at the local REI-type store.  I'm such a sucker for for nice cargo pants and other outdoorsy/workout wear.

I'm attending a wedding this weekend, but I think I'll either wear an old bridesmaid dress (actually looks pretty good, and I've worn it to two other weddings since the original) or a nice work-type dress that I usually reserve for VIP briefings at work but I could dress it up with some frilly accessories.  Definitely not going shopping!

My biggest clothing-related dilemma lately is purging.  I've already done quite a bit, but I know I can do more... but how much is too much?!

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #433 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
It's starting to warm up, and I looked in my "summer clothes" bin only to realize that there was *very little* in there, and that I had gotten rid of the white camisoles I need to wear under some of my summer tops (they were pretty ratty). So I think I'm going to need to buy a light-colored cami or two to wear under the summer tops. I also think I might try my hand at sewing myself some tops, which is sort of against the spirit of the challenge (I will have to buy fabric and possibly patterns as well) but it's a little different at least.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #434 on: March 12, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »
Had a special event last weekend, and I planned to stick to the challenge.  However we had a date night earlier in the week and I realized I still had all my personal spending cash in my wallet from last month since I have apparently been resisting buying ANYTHING, not just clothes, for the last 3 months.  So I got a magazine and a scarf, then wore the scarf with my favorite 'special occasion' dress.  I can't believe how many compliments I got on the outfit!  I have worn that dress to so many events, meetings, parties, and business occasions in the 4 years I've had it that there is no way to keep track - but everyone seemed to think it was new.  The scarf will also match at least 2/3 of my capsule wardrobe and is light enough to wear year round.  I'm calling this a win since my intention with this challenge is to be very mindful of wardrobe purchases - allowing only worn out items to be replaced or simple and practical additions to my capsule.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #435 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
Well, my spendypants mother talked me into buying a couple of $5 clearance sweatshirts after shaming me for the state of my mope around the house clothes. That's another $10 hit to my $200 budget for the year (so far $15 for the year). Still "on track" I guess, but I also know I will need hiking shoes (my first pair in about 12 years) and probably a dress in December for Christmas party season. My goal is to make those the only two other clothing items I buy this year...

Wupper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #436 on: March 12, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
Seems like the "No Clothing Shopping" thread has morphed into a thread about people buying clothes.

lise

« Reply #437 on: March 12, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
Seems like the "No Clothing Shopping" thread has morphed into a thread about people buying clothes.

this is where we come to confess ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »

K, here you go:  I went to Sierra Trading Post yesterday to pick up the sleeping bag and camp pad I ordered for our trip, looked around and made it out of there without buying any clothes.

Bad news:  I'm probably going to buy a really pricey SmartWool shirt from REI before we go, but waiting on it in hopes that they send a 20% off coupon.

lise

« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2015, 07:20:29 AM »

K, here you go:  I went to Sierra Trading Post yesterday to pick up the sleeping bag and camp pad I ordered for our trip, looked around and made it out of there without buying any clothes.

Bad news:  I'm probably going to buy a really pricey SmartWool shirt from REI before we go, but waiting on it in hopes that they send a 20% off coupon.

Horsepoor - I see you are buying a lot of things for your trip - just want to ask that you'll still wear these items after the trip right? 
I did a lot of adventure type travelling in my 20's and lived in pants that converted to shorts (zip off legs).  I recently stopped long stints of traveling so those pants are long gone but I did make it to Galapagos last year.  I really really wanted to buy some zip off leg pants because my boyfriend had some and I knew I would wear them a lot during the two weeks - but once I got back to NYC - would I wear them again?  The answer was not for a while so I didn't buy them and I coped ok for the two weeks I was away! 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »

Occasional slips (or unexpected buys that make strategic sense) are going to be par for the course--I think for someone who isn't/hasn't been in the habit of buying clothes, this wouldn't be a challenge. For those of us who have had a bad habit in this area, increased mindfulness and reduced spending are big wins, and the accountability helps. Also, even if one year can pass without buying clothes, it's bound to happen eventually for most of us--so learning to approach it in a smart way (while still being open to the pleasure of having a well maintained wardobe) is important.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

Horsepoor - I see you are buying a lot of things for your trip - just want to ask that you'll still wear these items after the trip right? 
I did a lot of adventure type travelling in my 20's and lived in pants that converted to shorts (zip off legs).  I recently stopped long stints of traveling so those pants are long gone but I did make it to Galapagos last year.  I really really wanted to buy some zip off leg pants because my boyfriend had some and I knew I would wear them a lot during the two weeks - but once I got back to NYC - would I wear them again?  The answer was not for a while so I didn't buy them and I coped ok for the two weeks I was away!

Yep - it probably sounds like a lot, but I've basically bought one outfit: 1 pair pants, 1 pair hiking boots, a merino top, a button down shirt, and a hat and rain pants.  The vest I bought for riding, but will work for the trip.  I'm an ecologist by trade and work out in the field at different locations in the west a few weeks a year, and the boots, shirt and hat will be better for that than stuff I currently have.  I previously had similar hiking shirt, pants and rain pants, but lost 50# a couple years ago and have been making do with jeans and t-shirts since then, and I *should* be wearing one of these wide-brimmed hats in the field for sun protection, as my older co-workers who are getting cancerous spots lasered off there faces have warned me.  DH is talking a Vietnam trip next year now, too, so lightweight, packable stuff will come in handy if that happens.

I'm still debating the heavier merino shirt.  It will get lots of use when I'm at home, but I have UnderArmor in the same weight, but that stuff gets stinky after one wear, and isn't very breathable.  I need to get a more detailed itinerary to figure out how likely I'll be to need the warmer clothes.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

I still haven't bought any clothes. But it's pretty easy for me as I'm not tempted.

I thought I might have to get new hiking boots for my Peru trip, but I fixed mine enough that they will be fine. I've been wearing those boots all winter because they are warm and comfortable. Now that the snow is gone (temporarily I'm sure) I put on my sneakers for the first time in awhile yesterday and hoooolllllly are they ever falling apart. I'm wondering if I will need to get new ones for the summer or not, but maybe I'll find a way around this hurdle too.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »

Eh, I think it's more that none of us is going to post everyday like "Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

People are more drawn to post when they have something to talk about, and in some ways the thread is keeping participants honest and thinking carefully about their choices, which is kind of the point.

That being said, in the interest of this being less of a thread about Why I Bought Some Clothes After Carefully Considering It, let me jump in and say "Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
I was going to buy something today because I had a client presentation and the thing I wanted to wear was in the wash (because this week has been full of client meetings).  But then the day was beyond busy, and so I made do with the thing that I just had put on as a placeholder.

I'm probably going to bow out shortly.  I'm very low on summer wear that is appropriate for work at this new office.  Either I need to get a couple of shirts, or a couple of light-weight jackets.  My goal for these things is 2nd hand and/or ethically made that work within a capsule approach and do not duplicate anything else.  And I'll need a new pair of runners as these ones are ripping.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: March 13, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
 "Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

+ 1.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #446 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »

Eh, I think it's more that none of us is going to post everyday like "Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

People are more drawn to post when they have something to talk about, and in some ways the thread is keeping participants honest and thinking carefully about their choices, which is kind of the point.

That being said, in the interest of this being less of a thread about Why I Bought Some Clothes After Carefully Considering It, let me jump in and say "Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

Guys! Guys! Not only did I NOT buy any clothes today, but I also didn't even THINK about buying clothes today. And that's even after I put aside two items from my closet for donation (old, don't fit well, never wear) last night. BAM!

Ditchmonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »

Getting past the idea that purchased goods provide happiness is one of the main points of this site. It's just not true, and the sooner you train your mind out of this illusion, the sooner you will achieve real and lasting happiness.

I just found this and I'm in. I've probably spent 60 or 70 already but I think I can go the rest of the year without needing anything new. An exception is running shoes, but if I need a new pair of runners then that means I've been putting appropriate mileage in and that's a good thing.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
"Fuck Yeah! I'm Pumped! Didn't buy any clothes today!"

+ 1.

Me too :-)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: March 14, 2015, 12:08:57 AM »
I have not posted, but am still in. I had allowed myself leggings and shoes if needed and so far have purchased one pair of leggings when another wore out. And I shouldn't need another pair of shoes until fall, possibly.
So, fuck ya, no clothes today! :);)