Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189101 times)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
I'm on MMM so i can FIRE for one reason-- which I thought was everyone's universally understood goal in life:

To wear sweatpants every day.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
The challenge is a good goal and reminder for me, but I would rather spend on clothes then alcohol or eating out. My budget there is $0 and for me, its not hard. I'm not even tempted. In sure some feel the same way about clothes. But with 4 babies in 6 years and a professional work environment my clothing needs are just higher then others. :)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
I'm on MMM so i can FIRE for one reason-- which I thought was everyone's universally understood goal in life:

Ha. I think I would be catatonically depressed at that point!

I think in general it's best to see this as a journey. Wanting things doesn't magically disappear; so what do you do with those wants? Resist them when they are frivolous or a substitute for something emotional/psychological, sure, but total deprivation is not I think always possible to achieve right away. Instead you just keep on moving along the continuum. Sometimes you are willing to trade working for more years for having more non-essentials, more satisfied wants, in the present. Maybe that's just justification! But it has to be a spectrum rather than one size fits all. And having a limited wardrobe of classics and basics is being more conscious about consumption than just buying to buy instead of because you've carefully edited a personal collection.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »

To wear sweatpants riding breechesevery day.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel like this forum is one place where I can call it like I see it without politics, religion, or feelings getting in the way. We're all seeking a goal, which is FIRE before the average age.

There's a lot of posting for "I know I don't need this, but I want it."  Seems as though some of us are not to the point where we don't even think about buying things unless we need them, and only then begrudgingly spend money on another material item. I'd suggest those people go back and reread the MMM blog from start to finish. It truly inverted my views on money. Previously it was end to my means. Work 70 hours a week? Sure! Skip family gatherings to save money on purchases or gas to get there? Yup. It has become the means to my end; that is, I maintain my optimum level of happiness and spend what it takes to be that way. It's much less than I thought it was when money was my only goal. You need to ask yourself "will this item increase my overall quality of life?" 99% of the time, the answer is a resounding "No." Punch yourselves in the face (I did.), and make your day-to-day life-centric, instead of money-centric. If something doesn't improve your life or make you happier, then don't buy it. I have cut my spending by $2500/ month only with this. I still have face-punch dinners at fancypants restaurants, own a big data plan, and drive my clown car to work. I'm getting better on these things, but the main problem with my finances was trying to spend my way into a life I thought I wanted. Don't be me.

My biggest obstacle was breaking the habit.  Not shopping for clothes as a social activity or from boredom.  This thread helps me recenter and realize that I can substitute a destroyed pair of jeans with a ZILLION other items in my closet.  I don't need three pairs of jeans.  I have one.  I'm good. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »

pffft. i already do this and i am not retired.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »

I envy you.  But I only have one pair of sweatpants.  I would need to go shopping in order to live in your world ;)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: February 10, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

This probably has a lot to do with why my GF says she wants to keep working and enjoys her job as a non-clinical pharmacist. She gets to wear yoga pants and a fleece to work. Every. Night. All. Night.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »

I envy you.  But I only have one pair of sweatpants.  I would need to go shopping in order to live in your world ;)

Hee hee :)

Better keep wearing real pants then!

I stocked up on my favorite kind last fall and have 3 pairs now, and it's good I did, cause I recently started working from home and now they're basically all I wear. Bliss!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Wearing sweatpants every day would be my own personal hell. I REFUSE to own sweatpants and hate the subcasualization of America. It hurts my soul seeing shlubby dressed people at places that CONTEXTUALLY they should be dressed in neat, clean fitting clothes that mirror the formality of the event (like sweatpants at the symphony, torn baggy jeans at the theatre, etc.).
My personal opinion and relationship with clothes is that I grew up extremely passionate about clothes, makeup, fashion and aestetics.
I had early acceptance into an Art School for Fashion Design and Merchandise. I was going to design clothes, then in a couple decades open a very high end boutique in Georgetown.

I do not NEED more clothes with the exception of a few pieces that are very specific (I don't have a formal ball gown in my size anymore or even  a sparkly/glitzy evening dress and I actually do get invited to Gala type events often enough I should). I WANT more clothes because I place a value on them that most Mustacians do not. They are art, they are happiness, they are fantastic.

When I read all of MMM's posts my take away was- use your dollars for what you value. Don't be a consumer sucker just buying it because society/media/etc. tells you to blindly buy, buy, buy.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »

Wearing sweatpants every day would be my own personal hell. I REFUSE to own sweatpants and hate the subcasualization of America. It hurts my soul seeing shlubby dressed people at places that CONTEXTUALLY they should be dressed in neat, clean fitting clothes that mirror the formality of the event (like sweatpants at the symphony, torn baggy jeans at the theatre, etc.).

I feel the same way!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2015, 05:40:50 AM »
broke down and bought hiking boots.  they had been on my list for 2 years and a good deal popped up i couldnt pass on

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:57 AM »

I feel the same way!

i don't wear them out in the world ... except for one pair, which are black, with zippers. they're fancy sweatpants. it's a thing. don't judge. :)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:04 AM »
http://www.vavawoom.com/malin/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/06/movies_big_lebowski_the_dude_jeff_bridges_movie_desktop_1280x1024_wallpaper-43039.jpg
Yeah man.

Sweatpants might be a bit too casual, but I don't own suit and tie and it's my secret plan to never own them.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2015, 06:04:16 AM »
When I read all of MMM's posts my take away was- use your dollars for what you value. Don't be a consumer sucker just buying it because society/media/etc. tells you to blindly buy, buy, buy.

this, x1000000!

I hate the trend that's it's okay to wear sloppy/super casual clothes in the places you mentioned. that said, I eventually went to the dark side and now wear black fleece-lined leggings basically the entire weekend, unless I'm going to a bar/restaurant/public place that is not the grocery store. I'm actually kinda jealous of Spicy McHaggus' girlfriend... as much as I like to look decent, I was just thinking the other day, "wouldn't it be awesome if I could just wear leggings every day? or even just jeans?" LOL.

i don't wear them out in the world ... except for one pair, which are black, with zippers. they're fancy sweatpants. it's a thing. don't judge. :)

oh man I love the concept of "fancy sweatpants" and the like. I have two pairs of those "ponte dress pants" and OMG. it's like business casual sweatpants/yoga pants. plus they're warm.

ANYWAY I still haven't bought any new clothes in 2015, woohoo!!! :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:20 AM »
I think the key here is the CHOICE to wear sweatpants everyday if you want rather than being forced into some "worky worky uniform".  Having worked for several organizations that required women to wear closed toed shoes, pantyhose and SKIRTS, I quite love the idea of being able to give an "f-you, I'm going to wear what I want!"  I'm not a casual dresser even on the weekends but they can take their torture devices, ahem- I mean pantyhose and shove them.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »

I feel the same way!

So not judging you, my fancy sweatpants have sparkles.....honest!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »
I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel like this forum is one place where I can call it like I see it without politics, religion, or feelings getting in the way. We're all seeking a goal, which is FIRE before the average age.

There's a lot of posting for "I know I don't need this, but I want it."  Seems as though some of us are not to the point where we don't even think about buying things unless we need them, and only then begrudgingly spend money on another material item. I'd suggest those people go back and reread the MMM blog from start to finish. It truly inverted my views on money. Previously it was end to my means. Work 70 hours a week? Sure! Skip family gatherings to save money on purchases or gas to get there? Yup. It has become the means to my end; that is, I maintain my optimum level of happiness and spend what it takes to be that way. It's much less than I thought it was when money was my only goal. You need to ask yourself "will this item increase my overall quality of life?" 99% of the time, the answer is a resounding "No." Punch yourselves in the face (I did.), and make your day-to-day life-centric, instead of money-centric. If something doesn't improve your life or make you happier, then don't buy it. I have cut my spending by $2500/ month only with this. I still have face-punch dinners at fancypants restaurants, own a big data plan, and drive my clown car to work. I'm getting better on these things, but the main problem with my finances was trying to spend my way into a life I thought I wanted. Don't be me.

I will agree with others, everyone has their own baggage. For many of us it is clothing, for you it is fancy pants dinners and a big data plan.

Clothing is not an entire want for me, whether we like it or not many of us are judged in our corporate  positions with how we dress. Clothing is an investment in my future earnings. Of course, it has to be a prudent investment.

Recently I was up for a promotion against a friend of mine. At business events she wears spandex skirts with a cardigan and open toed casual sandals, I wear suits and pumps, take a guess who the promotion went to. It is not strictly about the clothes, no, not strictly, but don't think for one second it's not a big part of it.

On the casual side I agree with SuperSaver. My clothes are fun, they are my hobby. I get immense pleasure out of them, "they are art, they are happiness, they are fantastic."   That was a fabulous quote SuperSaver, unfortunately all I could think was if I could fit that phrase on a graphic tee. LOL!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:20:31 AM by Juslookin »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2015, 07:10:59 AM »

My personal opinion and relationship with clothes is that I grew up extremely passionate about clothes, makeup, fashion and aestetics.
I had early acceptance into an Art School for Fashion Design and Merchandise. I was going to design clothes, then in a couple decades open a very high end boutique in Georgetown.

I do not NEED more clothes with the exception of a few pieces that are very specific (I don't have a formal ball gown in my size anymore or even  a sparkly/glitzy evening dress and I actually do get invited to Gala type events often enough I should). I WANT more clothes because I place a value on them that most Mustacians do not. They are art, they are happiness, they are fantastic.

My daughter who is at university in Scotland and spends a lot of her time in Europe says that whenever she is home for the holidays she feels really strange seeing people here in the US doing their grocery shopping in pajama bottoms and slippers.  She says she would never leave the house dressed in sweatpants or yoga pants in Europe (unless she was going to the gym ;-)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2015, 07:15:50 AM »
In Scandinavian countries it's pretty common to see people in the streets and stores wearing sweatpants, sports clothing etc.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
In Scandinavian countries it's pretty common to see people in the streets and stores wearing sweatpants, sports clothing etc.

It's pretty common in the US as well, although there's also a lot of class/regional/urban-suburban-rural stuff that goes into it too, as with anything to do with clothes. I only own one pair of sweatpants and only wear them around the house, but I bought four pairs of Uniqlo leggings pants last year (hence my decision to not buy clothes this year) and they are just about as comfortable as yoga pants but they look like regular (skinny) trousers! I was going to link to them but I don't want to tempt anyone here. I can absolutely wear them every day.

I suppose for my job (software developer), I would have to dress pretty schlubby to top my coworkers... we will get the occasional all-office email asking everyone to wear shoes (either because of a client visit or because someone has dropped a glass in the kitchen).

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »

On the casual side I agree with SuperSaver. My clothes are fun, they are my hobby. I get immense pleasure out of them, "they are art, they are happiness, they are fantastic."   That was a fabulous quote SuperSaver, unfortunately all I could think was if I could fit that phrase on a graphic tee. LOL!

Thanks Juslookin... I also happen to know an artist who dabbles in screen printing :)

My daughter who is at university in Scotland and spends a lot of her time in Europe says that whenever she is home for the holidays she feels really strange seeing people here in the US doing their grocery shopping in pajama bottoms and slippers.  She says she would never leave the house dressed in sweatpants or yoga pants in Europe (unless she was going to the gym ;-)

I have never been to Europe and I am still confused about pj pants being worn to places like Church, the mall, etc. College made me more tolerant of pj pants/sweats/workout clothes on people going to class or the drive thru. It's still jarring to see them in the grocery store or elsewhere since leggings + tunic/dress or jeans that fit + tee shirt take the same amount of time to put on.

In regards to fancy sweatpants miss madge and Juslookin not judging but I think I will start picturing you guys in those fancy velour track suits popular a decade or so ago. :) That is the closest point of reference I have for fancy sweatpants since I assume the sparkles aren't spelling "Juicy" on your booty.

Horsepoor- Regarding riding breeches- I want equestrian style boots!!! I've coveted them for a couple years now. They look so stylish with skinny jeans, leggings and breeches. Alas I have never even petted a horse.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »
I'm actually looking to get rid of stuff this year rather than buy.  I have four drawers full of t-shirts.  FOUR.  That's insane.

The majority of my wardrobe is from LL Bean and Lands End, although since Sears bought Lands End and the quality of their stuff went to hell I only go to LL Bean now.  Good classic stuff that lasts for years--I have a couple of Lands End sweaters that are almost twenty years old and look brand new.  I bought some pants and sweaters last year since I lost enough weight to warrant it, but unless I suddenly need a ball gown or something I'm pretty sure I can make it though the year without buying any clothes.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »

Thanks Juslookin... I also happen to know an artist who dabbles in screen printing :)

I have never been to Europe and I am still confused about pj pants being worn to places like Church, the mall, etc. College made me more tolerant of pj pants/sweats/workout clothes on people going to class or the drive thru. It's still jarring to see them in the grocery store or elsewhere since leggings + tunic/dress or jeans that fit + tee shirt take the same amount of time to put on.

In regards to fancy sweatpants miss madge and Juslookin not judging but I think I will start picturing you guys in those fancy velour track suits popular a decade or so ago. :) That is the closest point of reference I have for fancy sweatpants since I assume the sparkles aren't spelling "Juicy" on your booty.

Horsepoor- Regarding riding breeches- I want equestrian style boots!!! I've coveted them for a couple years now. They look so stylish with skinny jeans, leggings and breeches. Alas I have never even petted a horse.

LOL! I promise you, there is nothing written on my butt at the moment!

I agree with all of you that everyone dresses too casual nowadays. I started working in an office in 1990 and it was heels, suits, dress pants and hose everyday. I loved it!  I am lucky enough now to work 90% of my job at home, and today I am home wearing those sparkle sweatpants to work. :)

But when I do go to the office on Fridays I refuse to go too casual, I'll wear a sweater instead of a blazer, that's about it.  Quite honestly a lot of the upper management is the same. I am middle management but shooting for the bigger paycheck upper will bring. :)

I will say though, when did it become OK to wear a Tasmanian devil tshirt to a funeral, or a band t shirt to a schmancy restaurant. Yoga pants on Christmas Day to grandmas for dinner? By the way, I'm talking about adults not children, and these are actual real life examples.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »
College made me more tolerant of pj pants/sweats/workout clothes on people going to class or the drive thru. It's still jarring to see them in the grocery store or elsewhere since leggings + tunic/dress or jeans that fit + tee shirt take the same amount of time to put on.

She says there is no way students would wear sweats to class in Scotland.  Students are generally very well dressed - a lot of guys actually wear suits or dress pants to class, although jeans are acceptable.  When she is home and lounging around the house in sweatpants she always wants to change before going out, even for a quick grocery run ;-)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »
And just to keep the thread on track, I have not bought any clothes this month. I will say this though, I am taking the time to examine everything I have and clean out my closet. I probably will come up with a deliberate list of things I need, to purchase with careful intention.

For example, I own one white button down shirt that is getting kind of dingy. If someone knows of a way to brighten it up I will try that, if not I will probably replace it with a purpose.  My button down white shirt is one of the most versatile items in my closet.

My goal is to not recreationally shop, but when I spot a need to keep my wardrobe in well maintained working order I will purchase something.  That's what this thread is about for me, everyone has their own goal.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »

But when I do go to the office on Fridays I refuse to go too casual, I'll wear a sweater instead of a blazer, that's about it.  Quite honestly a lot of the upper management is the same. I am middle management but shooting for the bigger paycheck upper will bring. :)

I will say though, when did it become OK to wear a Tasmanian devil tshirt to a funeral, or a band t shirt to a schmancy restaurant. Yoga pants on Christmas Day to grandmas for dinner? By the way, I'm talking about adults not children, and these are actual real life examples.

I agree with all of you. I don't think there's any reason for formality in the grocery store or on an airplane, but I'm not fond of seeing people in their pajamas in public. Also, it makes me happy to see someone who's put some thought / effort / style into their clothing choices.

My fancy sweatpants are plain black with silver zippers on the pockets. Add a colorful draped tee and a blazer and ballet flats -- perfect travel outfit.

I don't currently have any sweats with words on the bum, but there's always next year after this challenge is over :)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »

I agree with all of you. I don't think there's any reason for formality in the grocery store or on an airplane, but I'm not fond of seeing people in their pajamas in public. Also, it makes me happy to see someone who's put some thought / effort / style into their clothing choices.

My fancy sweatpants are plain black with silver zippers on the pockets. Add a colorful draped tee and a blazer and ballet flats -- perfect travel outfit.

I don't currently have any sweats with words on the bum, but there's always next year after this challenge is over :)

I love this look!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »

For example, I own one white button down shirt that is getting kind of dingy. If someone knows of a way to brighten it up I will try that, if not I will probably replace it with a purpose.  My button down white shirt is one of the most versatile items in my closet.

I used peroxide and dawn (and baking soda?) to get yellowing out of a white button down. Surprised at success. Lots of blog posts about method, if I Remembe right they were pretty insistent on dawn, not any dish soap.   Might be worth a shot.  I still wear the shirt! 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
While I did not commit to no clothes buying since I need a few things, I haven't purchased anything so far. Instead, I have decluttered my closets again. I want to get my closets to where I live and reach for everything. It really feels good not to bring in loads of bags. It is freeing and peaceful not to have stuffed closets and drawers.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »
For as much as I loath clothes-buying, I got a little caught up in online browsing yesterday. Earlier this week I threw in my hat for a dream job, even though I'm still finishing my PhD. I realized that if by some miracle I get an interview I basically have no interview-quality clothes. I've been stuck in academia so long the most professorial outfits I have are scuffed shoes and years-old skirts in subtle colors and patterns (nothing solid). No one cares in academia--if anything it adds to one's professorial eccentricities--but if I do get the interview I'm wondering how basic boring charcoal suit I'll need to go...

Yesterday I got online and looked around at suit separates... that stuff is expensive!

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:12 AM »
broke down and bought hiking boots.  they had been on my list for 2 years and a good deal popped up i couldnt pass on

If you needed them - I don't see the problem.  So far I spent $5 on a few items this month.  I think I am good the rest of the month.  This is. So. Hard. For. Me.  I love fashion, and finding clothes at the thrift stores - I can find so many wonderful things at my Sally where everything is $1.  I go in there with the intent to buy and resell on Ebay and then....downhill from there. The things people discard in this country never ever ever ever cease to amaze me.  I want to post pictures of stuff I get.  Last time there a camel hair coat vintage for $1.  A $1!  Camel hair actually comes from camels.  Did not know that until the power of the Google.

So I really  appreciate your honesty!  Thanks!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
I think the key here is the CHOICE to wear sweatpants everyday if you want rather than being forced into some "worky worky uniform".  Having worked for several organizations that required women to wear closed toed shoes, pantyhose and SKIRTS, I quite love the idea of being able to give an "f-you, I'm going to wear what I want!"  I'm not a casual dresser even on the weekends but they can take their torture devices, ahem- I mean pantyhose and shove them.

That is my current favorite WFH attire along with fuzzy slippers.  I reason that "I'm allowed" since when I'm on travel visiting clients I'm in business dress.

lise

« Reply #333 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
For as much as I loath clothes-buying, I got a little caught up in online browsing yesterday. Earlier this week I threw in my hat for a dream job, even though I'm still finishing my PhD. I realized that if by some miracle I get an interview I basically have no interview-quality clothes. I've been stuck in academia so long the most professorial outfits I have are scuffed shoes and years-old skirts in subtle colors and patterns (nothing solid). No one cares in academia--if anything it adds to one's professorial eccentricities--but if I do get the interview I'm wondering how basic boring charcoal suit I'll need to go...

Yesterday I got online and looked around at suit separates... that stuff is expensive!

I just got a blazer from Uniqlo recently.  $69 and I nice cut and doesn't look cheap and looks like it will last (you could get a blazer at cheaper stores but he finishing and cut and fabrics make them look cheap).  They have matching pants and skirts for $40.   
I also had luck in the past at TJ Maxx and outlet stores but you have to keep going because the sizing and range is hit and miss. 

My advice is not to skimp too much on the suit.  However the shirt/top you wear underneath: you could probably find something in your wardrobe or thrift store to wear that will work.  Wearing a bit of pattern or color is fun to wear underneath a charcoal/navy/black suit!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »
Still on this and actually doing well in terms of wanting to shop.  Shopping has always been an emotional outlet so I'm surprised its been this easy.  I'm sure I'll have some temptation come spring though.  Wish my other challenge (grocery budget) was going so well (not cutting out as much as I'd like).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #335 on: February 12, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

You could probably find something appropriate at a consignment shop.  Good luck with the dream job!

My fridge and computer both decided to kick the bucket this week, so spending money on clothing keeps getting less and less attractive.

Pants

« Reply #336 on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
I haven't posted in ages but I just have nothing to report.  No clothes have been bought. I got one top as a gift (unasked for).

My underwear is starting to look a bit ratty but I'm putting off restocking until at least July even thought it's on my exception list.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #337 on: February 12, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
There's a lot of posting for "I know I don't need this, but I want it."

Occasionally griping here has actually kept me from breaking the challenge.

I still have face-punch dinners at fancypants restaurants, own a big data plan, and drive my clown car to work. I'm getting better on these things, but the main problem with my finances was trying to spend my way into a life I thought I wanted.

I'd suggest you go back and reread the MMM blog from start to finish. Just kidding!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
My exception this year was shoes.*

Because of my shoe size, the most-optimised way for me to buy shoes is from on online shop that makes good quality, leather shoes to order. They're not even more expensive than other leather shoes - they are more expensive than crap quality, borderline-disposable, mass-produced shoes, but then they also last about ten times longer if you take care of the leather and put topy soles on them.

I've been very slowly buying the shoes I need, buying a pair each time I can't possibly put it off any longer. Which is an okay strategy. But now the online shop has sent me an email letting me know that the price for my shoe style is about to go up by $20 a pair, so not only am I going to buy the two pairs that I couldn't put off any longer anyway, but I'm also going to bring forward one pair while the price is lower.

At least with my shoe strategy, there should be a point at which I've got 'enough' and as long as I'm replacing the topy soles as needed, I should only be buying a pair every few years when one wears out completely. It makes me wish I hadn't been buying cheap, crappy shoes for all those years or I'd already be at critical mass for good shoes.

*Until the point when I've lost enough weight to NEED new clothes, because duh, then I will buy some clothes.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »
I'm in a real city with real stores, and my family has planned a whole day of wandering (read: shopping). I am going to hold strong!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #340 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:18 AM »
I'm in a real city with real stores, and my family has planned a whole day of wandering (read: shopping). I am going to hold strong!

Ahhh yes, rare opportunity shopping. I do this with groceries a lot. I live pretty rural so if I get to the city and some of our favorite places I will stock up. I think to myself it could be months until I get here again, so I spend too much and buy too much.

It doesn't matter if you're there, if you still don't need it, you don't need it.  Be strong! And report back, this thread has kept me honest.  Good luck!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »
Besides the 2 dresses I also bought a second-hand top. Suitable for work and casual and a party (can be dressed up or down) for 6€. Not too bad. I could do without this top, but it's well within my budget (budget being, money from clothes I sell).

I decided that if I need something, I will try to do this from this budget as well. Otherwise there is just too much money to buy aimlessly and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I will also have to keep in mind that I also am doing project 333 so buying more clothes I don't like more than the clothes I already own is of no use.

I had to buy 'new' excercice shoes for indoors. The old ones were 10+ years old and were unfortunately falling apart (not fixable). I bought a used pair from the same brand. New they would've cost me 120€ and these were 22€. I think they have been used a few times because they really look almost new. The girl I bought them from bought them a bit too small. Hurray!

I'm really proud of everyone who is doing so well!

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2015, 06:24:27 AM »
Went to a clothing store a few days back with Hubs who has intentionally lost a bunch of weight and he needed new jeans (he's not in this challenge & bought out of his allowance).  While waiting near the dressing room to give him my opinion on whether he had eliminated 'old droopy drawers' in the rear-seat 'the man has no buns whatsover' I perused the ladies section knowing full well I was in on this no-spend challenge.  I did find one blouse that I probably would've bought as it meets my criteria of cut and modesty, yet the fabrication wasn't the highest.  The piece was on sale.  Didn't buy it for the MMM WIN!!!  It would've been a suitable 'trend' piece that would've lasted maybe a year before the seams ripped out.  Hooo-hummmmm, so over buying shoddy workmanship / materials.   This 'throw away' crap is cheap enough nowadays to be slightly on the ridiculously flimsy side and so not worth our dollars.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »
Trying on outfits the other day to decide what to take for my upcoming 18 day business/pleasure trip to Brazil, I realized that my only pair of warm weather trousers that are nice enough for work are threadbare on the inner thighs  -- that's always where they go for me! Also, last weekend I slipped on the ice and skinned my knee and put a hole in the knee of my only nice pair of jeans as well. Blehhh

So ... I went to the thrift store and had a lucky day because I found a nice pair of warm weather trousers and a lovely pair of trouser jeans, both of which fit me very well -- they will need only small alterations which I can do myself. I spent $8 and got exactly what I needed and nothing more.

I spose I could have made it work for the Brazil trip with knit skirts and t-shirts, but I want to look somewhat smart when I go to the office and when I go out. So ... clothes bought but very efficiently and intentionally.

I did notice myself browsing for other things when I got home -- bronzing blusher? What's that? Do I need it? What colors are available and what's the best reviewed one? -- but I stopped myself before I got too far into it. It's funny how once the wallet opens up, I suddenly become interested in buying everything. But I didnt, and the hot and bothered for spending feeling has passed by now.

lise

« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
I realized that my only pair of warm weather trousers that are nice enough for work are threadbare on the inner thighs  -- that's always where they go for me!

Me too!  Just about to replace a pair of black trousers cos of this same issue.  Congrats on finding what you need at a thrift store!

I'm still two items purchased (slippers and a blazer that were both needed).  Just found out I need to go to Paris for work a couple of times this year.  Paris!  Why do I think I need to buy something new because it's Paris????   I . NEED . TO . THINK . ABOUT . THIS. 

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
... trousers that are nice enough for work are threadbare on the inner thighs  -- that's always where they go for me!

This is my life!!!! I had 2 super quality trousers from an outlet on clearance (I bought winter weight slacks they needed to clear out for spring inventory) 5 years ago, my thighs rub when they walk, so I had to say bon voyage to the slacks this year since they were so worn it was a potential wardrobe malfunction. The rest of the slacks looks new but the inner thigh area was getting a bit transparent/threadbare.

Yesterday I was getting dressed for a night on the town and as I reached for my favorite (5 year old) black cardigan--- A 3 inch rip became apparent on the sleeve. I already had fixed a tiny tear on the neckline last month- so I fear it's given up the ghost. I will probably fix this rip and use it as an around the house layer for a tiny bit longer but, I can't wear it to the office anymore. I already lost a wonderful cashmere sweater (4 years old) to tears and rips this fall. I am trying to be strong and not run out and replace the sweaters since I have 6-8 more cardigans, but I literally wear one a day at the office and often when chilling with friends.

Quick question- I have 3 really nice work blouses/dresses that seem to be getting stains on them from something. Possibly an oil or grease based food item? Is there any magical solution?? . I wear cotton or cotton blend if that helps. I have been trying to repair pieces before writing them off as tragedies (plus one is seriously a gorgeous cobalt shade).

lise

« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »

Quick question- I have 3 really nice work blouses/dresses that seem to be getting stains on them from something. Possibly an oil or grease based food item? Is there any magical solution?? . I wear cotton or cotton blend if that helps. I have been trying to repair pieces before writing them off as tragedies (plus one is seriously a gorgeous cobalt shade).

I have had good luck with Shout Advanced.  Follow the instructions (rub in, leave in for a while before washing). 
I've tried Tide stain removal products as well and they didn't do a thing. 

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #347 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »
Sometimes I use Dawn (grease cutter) and other times Hydrogen Peroxide (blood) and other times just toss in some Oxyclean.  Wash in lukewarm/cool water.  I once heard a stage mistress (clothing handler for a theater) say to wash everything in cold water and only use about 1/8 of cup of detergent per load.  I've been doing that for years now and we 1)save on detergent costs, 2)save on clothing wear & tear and 3)save by not heating that water.  Good luck getting your stains out!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: February 13, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
I realized that my only pair of warm weather trousers that are nice enough for work are threadbare on the inner thighs  -- that's always where they go for me!

Me too!  Just about to replace a pair of black trousers cos of this same issue.  Congrats on finding what you need at a thrift store!

I'm still two items purchased (slippers and a blazer that were both needed).  Just found out I need to go to Paris for work a couple of times this year.  Paris!  Why do I think I need to buy something new because it's Paris????   I . NEED . TO . THINK . ABOUT . THIS.

Oh my gosh PARIS!  I need something new and to go with you!!!!

Or better yet, we buy nothing here and save our money and shop IN PARIS!

Shopping in Paris does not count, that is clearly an exemption.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: February 14, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I got Shout Advanced For Set in Stains. I hope it works!!! I use to use some kind of shout spray when I was a waitress so their stronger stuff might work.

Day 14 of February and still no clothes. I did browse old navy.com for cardigans yesterday. None of the cute ones were in my size so I hurried up and went back to actually working.