Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189103 times)

amyable

• Bristles
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
I think a mug is a great idea.  We went to New Orleans last year, and I bought tea and mufalatta olive salad spread. Haha... I've enjoyed both immensely! 

I'm planning a trip to Mexico this summer, and I've already decided I'm going to let myself buy some crazy silver earrings or something.  I don't have an earring buying problem--I only have 2 pairs, and they're both interesting yet understated silver studs, so something that dangles may be in order. 

But, I definitely have a clothing buying problem, so no way am I going to buy any clothing this year regardless of my location in the world. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
Okay. It's time for me to spend some money on shoes. Specifically, one pair of black leather flats, and TOPY soles for my current black leather flats.

There are alternatives that are cheaper in the short term (like buying cheap, poor quality flats at Target), but I want to get as close to BIFL as I can. I wear black flats six or seven days most weeks and like to keep a pair at work, so I definitely NEED a second pair (thought long and hard about it in case I was trying to fool myself and it was really a want - but nope, only way to get away with only owning one pair would involve cutting out the walking parts of my commute, which is not a good idea at all).

Shoes were on my 'allowed' list, but even so, I want to be very clear on what I'm buying and why, so that I can't get sucked in and buy other things while I'm at it. Stating it again: one pair black leather flats. TOPY soles for existing black leather flats. (Eventually TOPY soles for the new pair, but that'll be a few months off).

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2015, 05:49:30 AM »
Damn. I caved.

Went to Stockholm for a few days and didn't buy anything, I was proud of myself because I saw a few nice things although I wasn't really shopping (and I'm a sucker for Scandinavian design). I'm selling stuff (also clothing) on the Dutch Craigslist, was adding some stuff and for some reason I searched for my favourite brand after this. I did this before but didn't buy anything. Why was I browsing?! It's a habit I guess. I have to break this habit.

It isn't a complete stupid purchase though. It's a black long sleeve wrap dress that's nice enough to wear to work and also suitable for home/casual. It's also great quality, new it would've cost 200-300€ and I got it for 12€ including shipment costs. A bargain.. but I didn't really need it.

I still have to receive it, if it doesn't fit right, I'm selling it again. If it fits, I have to get rid of something else.

Ok, it fits me like a glove. It's really good quality and I really like it.

I don't really see this as a problem, but.. like someone said, buying leads to buying.. I bought another dress. Also not expensive.. But I do NOT NEED it!

I think I know why I did this.. I purged my clothing and got rid of so much the last few years.. I really want to only have clothes that fit well and I really like. I still have a few things I'm holding on to because I don't have something better and if I purge them I feel like I don’t have enough. The 'better' thing doesn't have to be perfect but it has to be something I really like wearing, feel comfortable in and is multifunctional (this dress really is).

My new challenge rules:
-   I can buy things, but only if they are better (for me) than what I already own.
-   I have to get rid of the other item(s) I’m replacing (donating/selling).
-   If I sell stuff, this money is allocated to buying ‘new’ stuff. I can’t buy for more than I sold. This means I really have to think about the purchase and it will not cost me any money (okay, normally I would have a profit, but that’s not the point). If I buy something that's not great, I will not have the money anymore.
-   If I really NEED something, this doesn’t have to be from this budget. It has to be something I really need though! Underwear if it completely wears out or something.. ;)

I already sold things this year so I currently have € 71.30 in my budget. I already subtracted the money for both dresses (€ 32).

This will also let me get rid of items I can sell easier. I will be less tempted to hold onto something if I can add something to my budget to buy something I really like later on. I’m also still doing project 333 so I will not buy too much. I hope this works.. It’s all about quality and not quantity so that’s a good thing.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
And definitely avoid the souvenir t shirt! I always opt for consumable items like mentioned before. Or something you do really use. I know someone who always buys a postcard for herself and puts this in a cardholder.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »
Made it through month one without any clothing purchases! Woohoo!

Something I already have planned for February is exchanging a pair of running tights I got from my parents for Christmas that turned out to be the wrong size. Since it's just replacing a gift I'm not counting this as buying a new item, but I do need to make sure it doesn't set me on that slippery slope of wanting to buy more things!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »
Made it through month one without any clothing purchases! Woohoo!

Something I already have planned for February is exchanging a pair of running tights I got from my parents for Christmas that turned out to be the wrong size. Since it's just replacing a gift I'm not counting this as buying a new item, but I do need to make sure it doesn't set me on that slippery slope of wanting to buy more things!

Good for you!! :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
Woohoo!  Other than a gift card covered purchase, I haven't bought any clothes.  One down, 11 to go.  Honestly, after I turned off all my social media and email ticklers for sales, it wasn't too difficult.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Woohoo!  Other than a gift card covered purchase, I haven't bought any clothes.  One down, 11 to go.  Honestly, after I turned off all my social media and email ticklers for sales, it wasn't too difficult.

Congrats to you and everyone else who made it through the month without spending money on clothes! I ended the month up $27 after returning a tie bought in December. I'm going to Seattle next week for a conference and it looks like my hotel is scarily close to a Ross. Hopefully I'll be too busy to wander over there!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
The sneakers I ordered, but then cancelled the next day showed up on my Paypal account. I wrote to shoe buy (dot) com and they are sorry but they already shipped, and then I received the shipping confirmation a few minutes later. GRRRR!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:41 AM »
I'm in, though I have to make some confessions and negotiations first:

Already bought in january 2015:
-Pair of sneakers (semi-planned. I've been wearing this particular brand and model for over 10 years, so whenever I need a new pair I start looking online for a good deal from time to time and get them when I see a decent color at a good price)
-T-shirt. Impulse buy with the shoes, shame on me. It does have a picture of the shoes (I've been wearing for 10+ years) on it, so I hope the Mustachian gods can forgive me)
-Vest (bought with gift card I got 2 years ago)
-Rainlegs (sort of rain pants, google search for them. bought when I went car-free)

Plan to buy this year:
-2 to 4 basic plain white/black/gray t-shirts
-Underwear when necessary
-Bibshorts and arm and knee warmers for cycling. All black, timeless stuff, so I can wait until I find them at the right price.

If I buy more, please punch me in the face.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:48:51 AM by DagobertDuck »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
The sneakers I ordered, but then cancelled the next day showed up on my Paypal account. I wrote to shoe buy (dot) com and they are sorry but they already shipped, and then I received the shipping confirmation a few minutes later. GRRRR!

shoebuy.com will let you return for free just say they dont fit ... full refund... no charges.  boom still working it.

i made it one month.  only charge that showed up as clothes was a Kohl's CC bill of 27 bucks from Dec 2014. 

i dont really have an issue with shopping i have an issue with deals popping up and i know i will need pants shoes shirts for work and they wear out.  but this should keep me honest for a full year. 

Thanks for the challenge.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
other than the aforementioned winter coat (which i have been very grateful to have) i haven't bought anything all month from any of my easy-to-go-out-of-control categories (clothes, shoes, makeup, accessories). wooo!

i read on another thread, someone said that when they get the urge to buy something for an activity they enjoy (like clothes/makeup for me) it usually means that they are not doing enough of that activity. and i find that's true for me. what's been working this month is, when i get the urge to buy something (a new blush or top or something), instead i go and do a new kind of look with the makeup i already have, or make some new outfits with the clothes i have, which is a lot more fun anyhow.

next up, i'm going to brazil for work, and will spend a few days in rio at the end. but i don't think i need any new clothes or shoes for this. i think i can just give myself a pedicure and be good to go :)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »
i read on another thread, someone said that when they get the urge to buy something for an activity they enjoy (like clothes/makeup for me) it usually means that they are not doing enough of that activity. and i find that's true for me. what's been working this month is, when i get the urge to buy something (a new blush or top or something), instead i go and do a new kind of look with the makeup i already have, or make some new outfits with the clothes i have, which is a lot more fun anyhow.

TOTALLY agree with this. and Brazil for work sounds awesome, have fun!!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »

This is smart!

I will confess that what I do for makeup/nails is....go to sephora. I make it a regular habit to stop in one of the stores to change my nail polish, put on perfume, add some leave-in oil to my hair, even put on their laura mercier foundation. I have my own makeup that I still use but it's a nice option for getting spiffier.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
i read on another thread, someone said that when they get the urge to buy something for an activity they enjoy (like clothes/makeup for me) it usually means that they are not doing enough of that activity.

Haha, very true.
I like buying bike parts, but RIDING bikes is what makes really me happy.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »

This is smart!

I will confess that what I do for makeup/nails is....go to sephora. I make it a regular habit to stop in one of the stores to change my nail polish, put on perfume, add some leave-in oil to my hair, even put on their laura mercier foundation. I have my own makeup that I still use but it's a nice option for getting spiffier.

LOL that would be way too dangerous for me. sephora is my happy place / danger zone for sure!

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »
Good job to everyone who made it through their first month!!!  And good job to the rest of us who are still trying!  I am still resisting the urge to pre-holiday shop. Like as I am making my packing list, I think...oh I could use a new ____ for this trip.  But really I don't need it, it would just be nice to have. This trip is expensive enough without pre-shopping. This is such a wake up for me, because in years past, I would have pre shopped and then wondered by my VISA bill was 2X what I expected at the end of a trip!  I just shake my head at my former self... 

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »

[/quote]

LOL that would be way too dangerous for me. sephora is my happy place / danger zone for sure!
[/quote]

This is one store that I just don't enjoy. I always feel like Julia Roberts in pretty woman in there...like the teenage sales staff think that I am beneath them because I am not perfectly coiffed! I went there once to buy some tweezers and the cheapest pair was like 26$! And the woman was trying to sell me a pair for 46$! She kept telling me that it was worth the investment, like she couldn't understand why I would not want to part with 50 bucks for these amazing tweezers! LOL!  But maybe I need to go window shop...and get done up and spray perfume for fun...and then not buy anything! LOL!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: February 03, 2015, 08:11:57 AM »

This is one store that I just don't enjoy. I always feel like Julia Roberts in pretty woman in there...like the teenage sales staff think that I am beneath them because I am not perfectly coiffed! I went there once to buy some tweezers and the cheapest pair was like 26$! And the woman was trying to sell me a pair for 46$! She kept telling me that it was worth the investment, like she couldn't understand why I would not want to part with 50 bucks for these amazing tweezers! LOL!  But maybe I need to go window shop...and get done up and spray perfume for fun...and then not buy anything! LOL!

hee hee. i have a sephora right near me, that i have been going to basically since sephora started as a thing, and there's one saleslady i know there who has skin just like me and always recommends the best products. so i get great service when i go there ... which is part of the problem!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
I got through the first month with no clothing purchases.  I may need to get a new pair of sneakers for the gym though.  It feels like my feet have grown and all the sneakers I have feel too tight and hurt my toes!  How is that even possible???

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
Not only have I not bought any clothes, shoes or accessories in 2015, I sold a pair of my son's old skates for $20

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »
YAY - one month down and a few days into month 2. I have a $45 credit at HM from returning a dress before Christmas. I wandered through but there was nothing the moved me so I left w/o purchasing anything.

I am not counting my kids on this no-purchase because they each seem to grow 4" and gain 15 pounds every year. The shoes are killing me (I can't seem to find any used that aren't totally worn out). I do get some hand-me-downs and find some things at thrift, but it has been harder as they get older and pickier about what they wear.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
So earlier this week I realized that one of my pairs of underwear was so worn that parts of it were almost transparent (and there was a hole).  Tossed the pair, which I think I've had since high school (I'm now 25 - but to be fair I think for all of college I didn't wear that particular pair as it was at my parents', so it's not as bad as it sounds.)  Mentioned the story, laughing, to my husband.  Who says 'oh yeah, when I was doing the laundry, I noticed that a bunch of your underwear was looking sad and worn'.  To which I replied 'Oh yeah?  Well, the reason I have lots of money is because I don't spend it on underwear!'  :P

I bought a bra and two pairs of underwear today, which is legit and an exception I made.  There is no good reason for me to buy more clothes, so I'm still committed to the challenge. (Being in the store made me want to buy clothes, though.  There was an absolutely darling white dress that caught my eye ... )

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
So I caved in and got a new pair of sneakers for the gym, half a size larger than my usual size.  $35 at TJMaxx. They feel much better than my other sneakers and I can exercise without irritating my toes now.  My big toe feels like it has an ingrown nail (but no visible evidence of it, no redness, no swelling, just painful), not sure what to do about it other than wearing shoes that don't make it feel worse.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
So I caved in and got a new pair of sneakers for the gym, half a size larger than my usual size.  $35 at TJMaxx. They feel much better than my other sneakers and I can exercise without irritating my toes now.  My big toe feels like it has an ingrown nail (but no visible evidence of it, no redness, no swelling, just painful), not sure what to do about it other than wearing shoes that don't make it feel worse.

if you feel like your toenail is putting pressure on the toe, try cutting a 'V' shape in the middle of the toenail. this reduces the pressure at the corners...

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
Went into J Crew yesterday when I was feeling emotional as a distraction (this is an old bad habit) but put down the earrings I walked around with and left without buying anything. Didn't buy anything at the other places I had set for myself as possible 'throw money at the feeling' fallbacks afterwards either (a kitchen tool and a plant, respectively). In my 20s I think I had a pretty bad sense of my own self and didn't always understand that I was trying to use money (or some other distraction) to escape something uncomfortable. Hopefully I've figured out that mindless consumption isn't some quick channel changing fix for emotional states.

I may buy new earrings later this year after killing the remaining debt because I have been a bit dissastified with what I own, but if I do it will be a conscious decision and not an impulsive way of trying to change how I'm feeling. And it can wait until next year realistically!

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »
Went into J Crew yesterday when I was feeling emotional as a distraction (this is an old bad habit) but put down the earrings I walked around with and left without buying anything. Didn't buy anything at the other places I had set for myself as possible 'throw money at the feeling' fallbacks afterwards either (a kitchen tool and a plant, respectively). In my 20s I think I had a pretty bad sense of my own self and didn't always understand that I was trying to use money (or some other distraction) to escape something uncomfortable. Hopefully I've figured out that mindless consumption isn't some quick channel changing fix for emotional states.

I may buy new earrings later this year after killing the remaining debt because I have been a bit dissastified with what I own, but if I do it will be a conscious decision and not an impulsive way of trying to change how I'm feeling. And it can wait until next year realistically!

I can completely relate to this, Norabird. I realize I use shopping as a way to distract me from what I'm really feeling (bored, lonely, etc.) It is a way to numb out. I am struggling mightily with this right now. I've been into a few stores over the past weeks and try things on, then inevitably walk out without buying anything when I come to my senses. I am counting each day that I don't buy clothes as an accomplishment. I am on day 7 now (after buying Seahawks hoodie last week, not an impulse buy). After reading another thread about how much people spend annually on clothing, I've become even more discouraged rather than inspired. The thing is, I am in an excellent financial position, so it's not about the money at this point, it's about how I want to spend my time. I don't want to spend my time shopping, or thinking about the next thing to buy.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
That's why if I have to buy something, I buy it on amazon. I don't have to drive anywhere, see other products I might 'want' , etc.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
Orcas50: I feel the same way as you. While I can afford my shopping it isn't just the financial angle I have a problem with. I also found myself looking towards the next item I would purchase. I relaxed wandering around the mall, felt good trying on clothes.  I was spending entire sunny Saturdays inside shopping. Why?

The bottom line is I really have enough in general.  I am learning to focus my attention in other places, it's hard though, no doubt.  Especially in a couple more weeks when I am so sick of snow I could scream and the stores all start carrying pretty pastels, adorable open toe shoes and bathing suits. 

My plan is to focus on garden and yoga. I'm reading a lot of garden porn right now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:35:56 AM by Juslookin »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2015, 05:45:04 PM »
I made it through January without a hitch, clothes shopping has not been a favourite activity for me since I got larger in size.  I did shop in my closet and today am wearing a nice taupe t-shirt which I have never worn before because it was too small.  I am also wearing my smallest jeans and have given the rest away.

I went shopping with a friend and was tempted by earrings and warm socks but managed to put them back.  Instead I spent on eating out which I am now trying not to regret. 

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
Orcas50: I feel the same way as you. While I can afford my shopping it isn't just the financial angle I have a problem with. I also found myself looking towards the next item I would purchase. I relaxed wandering around the mall, felt good trying on clothes.  I was spending entire sunny Saturdays inside shopping. Why?

The bottom line is I really have enough in general.  I am learning to focus my attention in other places, it's hard though, no doubt.  Especially in a couple more weeks when I am so sick of snow I could scream and the stores all start carrying pretty pastels, adorable open toe shoes and bathing suits. 

My plan is to focus on garden and yoga. I'm reading a lot of garden porn right now.

Here, here! I have been doing yoga 6 days a week and meditating twice a day. My DH is the gardener in our household, but good idea to start garden planning. He would be thrilled if I showed an interest and helped ;)

My mantra needs to be "I have enough." Because I do.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
I just gave my last "good" pair of regular old blue bootcut jeans to goodwill because there was a small hole in the back.  And I'm not going to replace them!  I'm very proud about that. 

I have one pair of black jeans and one pair of skinny blue jeans.  They will be my jeans for the year.   The skinnies need a little TLC as the buttonhole stitching is all coming undone and the button hole is fraying and growing.  I kind of am on the fence about repairing them.  Partially because I want them to be useless so I can buy a better pair of skinny jeans.

Oh, the drama.

lise

« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
For me, reading what some of you wear depresses me.  What I wear contributes to my confidence and attitude.  That said, I don't have a lot of clothes, but what I do own is in good condition and makes me feel good about myself.  If it has holes that can't be repaired, I donate it.  If it doesn't make me feel good about myself because it's too tight or too loose, I donate or sell it.  I don't feel good about myself wearing tatty or ill fitting clothes.  Maybe I'm vainer than the average person? 

I highly recommend this book about clearing out the clutter.  The chapter on clothing is great.  Basically get rid of things in your home that don't give you joy.  Not sure if it's already been mentioned in other threads:
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
by Marie Kondo

I got it out of the e-library (New York) so you don't have to buy it.

So confession time!  So far for this year:
Slippers $16
Blazer (as the one I had was not fitting right due to body changes and I had an important business meeting - will get a lot of use): Uniqlo $70, may seem costly to some of you, but it's half the price of a similar quality jacket at Banana Republic or Ann Taylor etc.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
For me, reading what some of you wear depresses me.  What I wear contributes to my confidence and attitude.  That said, I don't have a lot of clothes, but what I do own is in good condition and makes me feel good about myself.  If it has holes that can't be repaired, I donate it.  If it doesn't make me feel good about myself because it's too tight or too loose, I donate or sell it.  I don't feel good about myself wearing tatty or ill fitting clothes.  Maybe I'm vainer than the average person? 

Funny, because for me, people saying that what they wear contributes to their confidence and attitude makes me sad for them.  I am equally confident naked, in old over-sized sweats, or a new tailored suit.  I am who I am and a layer of clothing doesn't change how I feel about myself.  Maybe I could admit to be uncomfortable in too tight clothing, but it just happens to be that at my size (very small/petite) that rarely happens.  But I do think I'm less vain than the average person.  I often don't look at a single mirror until mid-day.  And when I find my hair is all askew, I just fix it then and move along...

I used to love shopping for clothing that made me feel good when I was in college, but something has changed in more recent years and I just don't tie clothing/style with myself as a person anymore, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:44:44 PM by catccc »

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
I hadn't thought that my love of clothing and dressing might be because I am vain.  I have always looked at it as a sort of hobby.  I don't just shop aimlessly.  I read about fashion in old books and really admire an expertly made vintage piece.  I also spend way less on clothing than my friends do because I always shop second hand.  New malls and stores that sell new products do nothing for me.  Everything seems cheaply made and I don't want to look like every other person walking down the street.  Vintage shopping allows me to create a beautiful wardrobe on a budget.  I am joining this challenge because the space I have is limited and want to keep my wardrobe beautiful but small.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
okay, i replaced the baggy underwear for $10.50.  But of course I am in between sizes.  Went with the smaller...

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »
okay, i replaced the baggy underwear for $10.50.  But of course I am in between sizes.  Went with the smaller...

Now they're thongs, later they will be normal. No worries! ;)

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
Count me in going forward.  Over the last several years I have decluttered my clothes down to less than 50 items in the closet...ran into an issue the other day when going somewhere nice I tried two different shirts on that no longer fit because of weight loss.  At that time I went thru and tried the remainder on and I feel I'll be good going forward with no more new purchases.  So I donated those two and replaced them in 2015.  One bought at Salvation Army for $3 and another better quality for $17 new marked down from $54 at a deep discount place.  Both are basics in my 'color theme' and are stretchy enough to last as I lose more.  Ready to go onward into 2015 w/no other new purchases needed.  So, I've spent $20 in 2015, but think I'm all set.  Can I still play?

Color theme - mostly black w/red and teal.  A few grey pieces.

On the souvenir t-shirt front if you can't avoid it all together?  Buy one at a thrift shop!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:14:35 PM by KD »

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #288 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
Ugh--I found a J.Crew down jacket on deep sale that I really, really want.  I still haven't bought anything, and I can definitely survive without a new coat, but after a somewhat crappy week, I just really want it!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »
Ugh--I found a J.Crew down jacket on deep sale that I really, really want.  I still haven't bought anything, and I can definitely survive without a new coat, but after a somewhat crappy week, I just really want it!

Need vs want. Put it out of your mind. Take the money you would have spent on it and put it into a savings account. Clearly you have the extra money, why not build up your savings account instead?

PS- I completely feel your pain. I'm not looking at sale stuff or I would fall off the wagon for sure.
I fell in January, I am not falling in February. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2015, 06:42:44 AM »
Danger! Danger!  Avoid the souvenir Tshirt!   

Some of my ways of dealing with vacation souvenir lust is buying practical things.

For me, the souvenir T-shirt IS the most practical one. I actually regret (and my husband who wears through t-shirts even more so; I have 14 year old one still...) not getting t-shirts on a few of my vacations. 

Because I will always need a t-shirt to wear.

As for no-buy  clothes- I didn't buy any clothes in January :) so, so far, so good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:01:19 PM by iowajes »

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »
I am still hanging on to nothing bought in February!  Hurray - although I have been thinking about shopping a fair amount! I am resisting. I do have to buy both my kids summer sandals.  I don't really want to spend on them either...but we are going on holidays and neither of them have summer shoes that fit. I tapped all my handy-me down resources and have come up empty :( 

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
Still haven't bought anything in Feb. Still waiting for my package from Japan too!

One of my fave coworkers came in looking absolutely fantastic and professional today. They then proceeded to tell me about the "sale they caught" at Macy's. *sniffles* I still WANT more new clothes and to build out my professional wardrobe. However in the first 9 months of my job I was able to acquire enough that I don't NEED much more and I can hold off for awhile longer. Maybe later on in the year I will replace a few slacks that are too tight and my older sweaters that are starting to get pilly/holes (although I just fixed 3 tiny tears/holes in a few sweaters right before this challenge).

Stay strong everyone!

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
A month by month challenge is interesting.  Right now seems to be a good time for sales if you truly need things.  I want to closet clean and revisit project 333.  I have shopped a little lately.  I am learning to shop secondhand, not without error.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »

Need vs want. Put it out of your mind. Take the money you would have spent on it and put it into a savings account. Clearly you have the extra money, why not build up your savings account instead?

Thanks, I felt like buying something today (not necessarily clothing), and this was the little nudge I needed to dig a little deeper into my bank account and get my car paid off.  Now I feel cash poor, so the urge to buy anything unnecessary has diminished.  Win win!

lise

« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
A month by month challenge is interesting.  Right now seems to be a good time for sales if you truly need things.  I want to closet clean and revisit project 333.  I have shopped a little lately.  I am learning to shop secondhand, not without error.

Just googled project 333 ... thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna to try this after paring back significantly already, I think this will help more.  I like that you can treat it seasonal so you're not restricted to 33 items forever.  My fall/spring wardrobe is similar so I think I can get away with owning less than 99 items.  That sounds like a high number, but when shoes and coats and accessories are included you realize how you do really need to think about it. 

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
Hooray, I didn't buy the jacket--I'm still clothing purchase free in 2015!  If I can put it off for a couple of hours, I no longer want something.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: February 10, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »
Good job, amyable! I find the same thing.

Over the weekend I was watching a video by my favorite makeup lady on YouTube, and found myself browsing Amazon for Korean skincare products. I remembered this challenge though and stopped immediately and went and played with some of the makeup I already have. Which was much cheaper and much more fun!

Remembering goals in the moment is what it's all about -- I'm really glad my brain is starting to default to this setting. :)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2015, 08:17:35 AM »
I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel like this forum is one place where I can call it like I see it without politics, religion, or feelings getting in the way. We're all seeking a goal, which is FIRE before the average age.

There's a lot of posting for "I know I don't need this, but I want it."  Seems as though some of us are not to the point where we don't even think about buying things unless we need them, and only then begrudgingly spend money on another material item. I'd suggest those people go back and reread the MMM blog from start to finish. It truly inverted my views on money. Previously it was end to my means. Work 70 hours a week? Sure! Skip family gatherings to save money on purchases or gas to get there? Yup. It has become the means to my end; that is, I maintain my optimum level of happiness and spend what it takes to be that way. It's much less than I thought it was when money was my only goal. You need to ask yourself "will this item increase my overall quality of life?" 99% of the time, the answer is a resounding "No." Punch yourselves in the face (I did.), and make your day-to-day life-centric, instead of money-centric. If something doesn't improve your life or make you happier, then don't buy it. I have cut my spending by $2500/ month only with this. I still have face-punch dinners at fancypants restaurants, own a big data plan, and drive my clown car to work. I'm getting better on these things, but the main problem with my finances was trying to spend my way into a life I thought I wanted. Don't be me.

lise

« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel like this forum is one place where I can call it like I see it without politics, religion, or feelings getting in the way. We're all seeking a goal, which is FIRE before the average age.

There's a lot of posting for "I know I don't need this, but I want it."  Seems as though some of us are not to the point where we don't even think about buying things unless we need them, and only then begrudgingly spend money on another material item. I'd suggest those people go back and reread the MMM blog from start to finish. It truly inverted my views on money. Previously it was end to my means. Work 70 hours a week? Sure! Skip family gatherings to save money on purchases or gas to get there? Yup. It has become the means to my end; that is, I maintain my optimum level of happiness and spend what it takes to be that way. It's much less than I thought it was when money was my only goal. You need to ask yourself "will this item increase my overall quality of life?" 99% of the time, the answer is a resounding "No." Punch yourselves in the face (I did.), and make your day-to-day life-centric, instead of money-centric. If something doesn't improve your life or make you happier, then don't buy it. I have cut my spending by $2500/ month only with this. I still have face-punch dinners at fancypants restaurants, own a big data plan, and drive my clown car to work. I'm getting better on these things, but the main problem with my finances was trying to spend my way into a life I thought I wanted. Don't be me.

I think the point is that many of us do get joy out of clothes/fashion.  Like I think you may get joy out of the experience of eating at fancy pants restaurants.  I say: let's not lead lives where we lead totally miserable frugal lives, and that we do spend "smartly" on items that do truly make us happy.