Author Topic: No Clothing Shopping in 2015  (Read 189037 times)

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No Clothing Shopping in 2015
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Ugg, had to take DD 14 to the mall to buy a birthday gift for a friend.  I will admit to browsing but I am happy to report no purchasing for myself.

I did buy DD a pair of pjs, but my challenge really isn't about her, it's about me.  I have to be careful not to start buying her unnecessary stuff now. One pair of pjs $12.30, and she did need them, then we skeddadled out of that mall.

I'm happy to still be on the wagon. I'm sort of challenged to see how far I can really take it. I'm doing one month at a time.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2015, 05:16:14 PM »
Am I allowed to join with a modified challenge - no clothes buying in 2015 unless/until I lose 10kg?

I have enough clothing at my current weight (at least until it all starts to fall apart). I have a few pieces that will help me out as I drop the first 5-10kg. But once I've lost 10kg, I think I'll be needing to buy enough to get me through the work week if nothing else.

Absolutely. I'm covered for a loss of about 7.5kg, although most of this is old and half worn out. Once I get below this I think I'll be pretty well out of options. 

Good to know I'm not the only one in this boat!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
So I am in for one month at a time. I did need to buy a pair of snow boots so I could safely walk on slush and ice to work. I tried using sneakers last week and fell on the sidewalk/curb really hard. Since I bought them last Wednesday I've already used them everyday!!
The boots were $20.87 and I used a $20 gift card. I paid $0.87+ tax. Best purchase ever. I cannot think of anything I need so I will hopefully make it to March 31.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Happier at Home,

I am in the same boat.  Once I get to a certain weight I probably won't have enough clothes.  I am thinking it will be fall but it maybe summer.  Already I can see that I will be turfing most of my summer tops, but I have three pairs of shorts that may be the right size during the summer.  I can have all of my skirts taken in so that is no problem and I have bathing suits that will fit.

Congrats on being ready to shed some pounds.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
I'm in! (If we can exempt my wedding dress, which I already purchased earlier this month for $120.)

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm in for at least the first three months  of 2015, when I will evaluate spring clothes needs (wants?) I tried this challenge last year and failed more than miserably. In fact, I still haven't done a reckoning of how much I spent on clothing for me, my kids, or husband (yes, I do the clothes shopping for the whole family, but it seems I spend the most on me, and I'm not proud to admit this). I am happy to say I am on track so far for 2015, 12 days and going strong. I find it really helpful to have the support of a group doing challenges like this.

I have decided that like an alcoholic who should not step foot into a bar/pub, I have no business going to the mall/consignment store/thrift shop/online retailer. I will be checking in here often. Thanks for reading!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
I have decided that like an alcoholic who should not step foot into a bar/pub, I have no business going to the mall/consignment store/thrift shop/online retailer. I will be checking in here often. Thanks for reading!
As a former clothes horse, no shopping gets easier.  Now I feel like shopping in a mall is a hassle.  Plus I like all of my clothes more than anything I could buy in a store.

tracylayton

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
Arrgh! I feel like Cosmo Kramer from the Seinfeld episode where they made a bet to see who could go the longest without sex. Only 10 days into the challenge, and...I'm out.

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
... I bought two pairs of almost new jeans from a secondhand store for $21 together. I bought them because both of my pairs of jeans wore through, one in the crotch seam and the other is just falling apart. I have "nice pants" and yoga pants, but those were my only everyday pants. The new ones actually smell terrible though, which I didn't notice in the store. I've already washed them, rinsed them with vinegar, and rinsed them again with baking soda, and they still smell. Right now, they're sitting on the back porch. Patience, I suppose. I'm thinking about soaking them in tea, just to see what happens (I got some free tea at a potluck because they were asking everyone to take stuff home...).

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
Frog Girl - what took you down?  lol

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
... I bought two pairs of almost new jeans from a secondhand store for $21 together. I bought them because both of my pairs of jeans wore through, one in the crotch seam and the other is just falling apart. I have "nice pants" and yoga pants, but those were my only everyday pants. The new ones actually smell terrible though, which I didn't notice in the store. I've already washed them, rinsed them with vinegar, and rinsed them again with baking soda, and they still smell. Right now, they're sitting on the back porch. Patience, I suppose. I'm thinking about soaking them in tea, just to see what happens (I got some free tea at a potluck because they were asking everyone to take stuff home...).

Try covering them with baking soda (in a plastic bag).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:34 AM »
Arrgh! I feel like Cosmo Kramer from the Seinfeld episode where they made a bet to see who could go the longest without sex. Only 10 days into the challenge, and...I'm out.

I know how you feel ... I made it to January 5th. <sigh>

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »

I know how you feel ... I made it to January 5th. <sigh>
Just take a deep breath and recommit.  I slipped up a few times last year, but I ended up so much better off at the end of the year. 

tracylayton

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
My 14 year old son wanted to wander around the mall for 2 hours with his friend. I promised the friend's mother that I would be at the mall in case they needed anything. So, I started wandering around. Before I knew it, I found 3 sweaters on sale (total of $42) and caved. We are having a colder than normal winter in North Texas, so I will wear them but I didn't really NEED them.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
Frog girl, next time could you bring a book with you and sit in a coffee shop (maybe even over a *gasp* purchased drink) during the mall time? Sometimes we just need something to keep us away from browsing!

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
I am in!

I will abstain from clothing purchases in 2015 EXCEPT

* socks
* underwear
* replacement shoes as mine wear out
* possibility of a summer suit

I am joining the fitness thread and hope to fit into a lot of my older clothes by the end of the year. Looking forward to tracking and seeing what everybody else does.

So far this year I have spent $30 on a replacement pair of clogs. The sole split on one and they are not repairable.

tracylayton

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »
Frog girl, next time could you bring a book with you and sit in a coffee shop (maybe even over a *gasp* purchased drink) during the mall time? Sometimes we just need something to keep us away from browsing!

This would have been the ideal solution...exactly what I'll do next time.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »

This would have been the ideal solution...exactly what I'll do next time.

Don't give up. Just jump right back in. I knew I could never commit to the year. I'm doing a month at a time. I'm ashamed to admit I need baby steps. I'm hoping also to pay much more attention to my shopping habits, and this challenge will help me with that.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
No clothing purchases yet this year. I won't need socks or underwear this year either because I found a whole drawer full of socks and underwear that I've been ignoring for years. I've started wearing the new discoveries too, especially the fun socks.

BUT

I have an Inca Trail hike coming up in 4 months and my 3 year old hiking boots recently developed a 'bump' under the sole that will give me trouble. I took them to the shoe repair place and they said it's not fixable. I may try to 'fix' it myself, but if that doesn't work I will need to get new boots. Happy feet are too important on long treks and my feet are very sensitive to uncomfortable shoes/boots.

BonBon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
I am totally in on this. But I admit that I already cheated and bought a new pair of jeans on January 1. I also have gift cards from credit card points mailed that I intend to use towards new running shoes for the year (Hopefully will get 2 pairs as I try to run over 1000 km per year but failed pretty miserably at it last year). So giftcard purchased shoes will be exempt, and I just have to deal with the fact that I fail on the first day (but that was before I decided to do this)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
I'm in. I haven't bought anything yet (I *have* exchanged a Christmas present, which was definitely a kind of shopping). My caveat is that I still have some Christmas gifts I need to return and some clothes I'm planning to trade in at the secondhand store so I'll likely end up using those merchandise credits. I spent more than I would have liked on clothes last year (changed careers and moved), but the benefit of that is that my wardrobe is pretty much in tune with my lifestyle now, and I have a lot of quality pieces that should last me years. I could definitely use a couple of good work/weekend-appropriate shirts though, so hopefully I can find some at the places where I have credit!

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
I'm still in!!! I'm still in! Even thought I went for a walk in the mall today and tried on like 6 things...all of which fit and were on sale 60% off. The only thing that stopped me from buying them was having to come here and admitting that I caved after only 13 days.  I can do better, I know I can.   I am realizing that a year will be virtually impossible for me...but I am going to see if I can at least make it 3 months. Once spring comes, I could be in trouble! But just for today I won out over the temptation to shop!!! Woot Woot!

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
I did give in and pick up a winter coat, having grown tired of being really cold (Milwaukee, WI). I got it at the outlet for ~50%, and I'm cleaning out my closet, getting rid of several other coats that are non-functional style pieces.  At this point, consolidating my household with the GF's has put a premium on space, and is saving me a few hundred dollars per month.  Trading many mediocre items for one better item eases the issue with space, though there will be much more donating to come.

Make sure to keep the goodwill receipts for your tax returns!

Winter coat not included, there's nothing I need another of. The rule is it must be discount priced (>40% off) and you must get rid of the item it is intended to replace.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
I'm recommitting to this challenge, after my husband treated me to 2 sweaters, 2 long sleeved shirts and a pair of jeans on January 5th. I've come to realize there's no point in giving up with 360 days left to SAVE MONEY! ;-)

MashedBanana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
I've got a counter on my phone that's been counting days since my last frivolous clothing purchase. It's been 100 days 🙌

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
I'm recommitting to this challenge, after my husband treated me to 2 sweaters, 2 long sleeved shirts and a pair of jeans on January 5th. I've come to realize there's no point in giving up with 360 days left to SAVE MONEY! ;-)

Great attitude!

I resisted buying anything from Piperlime's huge sale (+60& off sale items).  I was really tempted by a sequin mini dress, but I would probably wear 1-2 times.  Plus I have a lot of dresses already, and I don't wear them enough.

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Gosh I love all this honest talk!  It makes me feel like I can do this.  I added up all my clothing purchases for last year and it was just over $300.  And honestly, I thought I had spent way less so it was a good exercise. 

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2015, 03:50:01 PM »
These are exactly the kind of temptations I face and the reminder I need to give myself to hold off! I think this thread will be really helpful for me this year. I'm planning on taking it month by month challenge-wise, but am also realizing I am faced with temptation much less now thanks to some changed habits....phew! This spending area really gives me the sweats.

RetireBy36

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
I'm in! No exceptions. I think I bought enough clothes last year to last two life times. Looking forward to it.

Pants

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
Two weeks down! :D I am continuing to avoid the mall and go to the nearby library if I feel like browsing... For something, anything.

I keep worrying about inadvertently buying something without thinking but I can feel my mindset and habits changing to No Buy as a default.

I am continuing to lose weight so will soon fit into a bunch of clothes I already own that are currently too small. Can't wait!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
I'm still in!!! I'm still in! Even thought I went for a walk in the mall today and tried on like 6 things...all of which fit and were on sale 60% off. The only thing that stopped me from buying them was having to come here and admitting that I caved after only 13 days.  I can do better, I know I can.   I am realizing that a year will be virtually impossible for me...but I am going to see if I can at least make it 3 months. Once spring comes, I could be in trouble! But just for today I won out over the temptation to shop!!! Woot Woot!

Yahoo! I feel your excitement. I am in the same boat...I figure every day I make it us a success!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
So I'm not feeling the pressure (yet) with my work wardrobe as I stocked up on a few things late last year, plus I have plenty of dresses that I almost fit into so it's good motivation to slim down.

Casual clothes are more of an issue, because I've been bad at buying those (as in, I don't own enough ever let alone right now). Right now I have one casual dress that fits, though it's short enough that I need to wear tights, and a pair of jeans that fits okay though they're starting to get loose (not a bad thing in and of itself!). It's summer here, so jeans and tights are a little uncomfortable. Solution? I've been wearing my nicer dresses (smart casual / dressy) to catch up with friends instead of my only two casual outfits. I consider this to be a good thing, as it'll make it more likely that I'll wear out my current clothes as I lose enough weight to go down a size, which will feel efficient to me. Basically I want each item to fall apart just as it gets too big.

Shoes are one area that I'm not going to worry about for the challenge. This is because a) they tend not to be a "problem area" for me and b) when your shoes fall apart you kind of just have to replace them. I anticipate needing to buy one pair of replacement trainers and one pair of replacement black leather flats within the next six months or so.

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I am in!

I will abstain from clothing purchases in 2015 EXCEPT

* socks
* underwear
* replacement shoes as mine wear out
* possibility of a summer suit

I am joining the fitness thread and hope to fit into a lot of my older clothes by the end of the year. Looking forward to tracking and seeing what everybody else does.

So far this year I have spent $30 on a replacement pair of clogs. The sole split on one and they are not repairable.

Whoops! I forgot a few more exceptions.

* I am allowed to acquire accessories (jewelry, scarves, etc). This is because I would like to change the basic outfits up with accessories. Hey, the magazines are always doing these editorials.

* I am allowed to acquire unlimited hats, gloves, scarves for winter at garage sales for the reason that I always lose some over the course of a winter.

* I am allowed to MAKE myself an article of clothing

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
Still loving my new snow boots and wore them 8/8 days I've owned them.

I realized today I am so busy the next month or so I won't have time to go to stores much. I will focus on unsubscribing from digital clothing ads/ emails. I luckily tend to mostly shop in stores, but clearing up the digital clutter will be welcome. :)

Trying to get this right

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2015, 09:15:53 PM »
Me too!  The digital clutter needs to go.  Tempting and clogs up the inbox. 

I'm still hanging strong.  No clothing, shoes or accessories for me for the first 14 days :)  Congrats to all who are still fighting the consumer urge! 

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »
I'm going strong, too! No clothing, shoes or accessories purchases for 15 days. I unsubscribed from several online retailers and immediately delete others before opening. But I will admit I put a few items in my cart on the Nordstrom website yesterday. I have no idea why I did this (why was I even browsing? boredom?), since I have no intention of buying. Maybe because I have two Nordstrom gift cards totaling about $120 in my wallet? I'm planning to save the gift cards until warm weather arrives (which may be July here in the PNW)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
I'm in, with the possible exception of a new bathing suit.  My current one is completely worn out and awful. 

And, one of these days, I will probably purchase some waterproof gloves and pants--for hiking in the high country.  A couple summers ago, some friends and I were high up on the the ridge of a peak (~11,000 feet elevation) when we got caught in a thunderstorm.  The temperature plummeted--it actually started snowing. At that moment, I was wishing that I had had waterproof gloves and waterproof pants.  But it worked out and we reached the peak and got back down safe and sound.  Hopefully, I can continue to put off these purchases because they are pricey ones!!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2015, 06:36:58 AM »
Are there other readers that do want to join (or joined for that matter) but who have doubts/fear of missing out? On the one hand, I really want to join, but on the other hand I don't. For some reason I don't think I can do it and I have fear that I will be missing out on good deals. There are a bunch of what-ifs and just-in-case scenarios running around in my head. I just KNOW that they are all bullshit though and I should join. There are so many people in the world that have so little..

I purged my wardrobe the last few years and got rid of about 75%. Sold or donated and bought some really quality things I actually really like. I have way less but I really like it more than my stuffed closet I used to have. But I do feel that I'm also on the look-out for the perfect things and I want to stop this and just wear and like what I have and think less about wanting more. It's so ungrateful.

Last year I tracked my spending and I bought: 27 items total. 16 items second-hand, so not expensive. I already sold (or am going to sell) 10 items because these were bad bargains and am keeping the other 17 items (great winter coat, good shoes, some pants, cardigans, outdoor jacket, shirts). I really know what I like/am going to wear because of my purging so there is definitely progress..  I also joined project 333 but I fear I will "need" spring and summer clothing. What if I come across the "perfect" dress or sandals? I know, this is bullshit!

I thought about joining with a list of exceptions (one in, one out? only 5 items this year?) but I fear that this will just be justification for spending.

Advice welcome.. ;) I hope you do not think I'm whining or something..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:40:07 AM by Sanne »

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:38 AM »
Are there other readers that do want to join (or joined for that matter) but who have doubts/fear of missing out? On the one hand, I really want to join, but on the other hand I don't. For some reason I don't think I can do it and I have fear that I will be missing out on good deals. There are a bunch of what-ifs and just-in-case scenarios running around in my head. I just KNOW that they are all bullshit though and I should join. There are so many people in the world that have so little..

I purged my wardrobe the last few years and got rid of about 75%. Sold or donated and bought some really quality things I actually really like. I have way less but I really like it more than my stuffed closet I used to have. But I do feel that I'm also on the look-out for the perfect things and I want to stop this and just wear and like what I have and think less about wanting more. It's so ungrateful.

Last year I tracked my spending and I bought: 27 items total. 16 items second-hand, so not expensive. I already sold (or am going to sell) 10 items because these were bad bargains and am keeping the other 17 items (great winter coat, good shoes, some pants, cardigans, outdoor jacket, shirts). I really know what I like/am going to wear because of my purging so there is definitely progress..  I also joined project 333 but I fear I will "need" spring and summer clothing. What if I come across the "perfect" dress or sandals? I know, this is bullshit!

I thought about joining with a list of exceptions (one in, one out? only 5 items this year?) but I fear that this will just be justification for spending.

Advice welcome.. ;) I hope you do not think I'm whining or something..

I think this is a reasonable concern. As someone who has difficulty finding clothes that fit (I'm two sizes larger on bottom than on top, but I prefer to wear dresses and skirts), when you find something that fits well and is quality, it's hard to say no.

I think the solution might be two-fold:
1) Are there specific things you're thinking about that you might need? black pants? a white button-down? a good winter coat to replace your dying one? an all-seasons dress? If so, I think you should feel free to make an exception for that piece. It would be crazy to live where it's -20 for another two months and NOT replace a dead coat because of this challenge.
2) Unless you specifically searching for the piece above, do not shop. Do not browse. Do not gander. Do not peruse. Keep a book with you for times others want to shop. Personal shop for others--sisters, girlfriends, etc.--if you need to get your kicks. But overall, just try to avoid clothing stores/sites at all. You won't know you're missing out if you don't know it's there.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 07:24:25 AM »

I normally get FOMO pretty bad when it comes to missing out on events or social activities :) but I'm not feeling it with this, mostly because I just look around at the clothes/shoes I already have and IT'S JUST SO MUCH. Like, I don't even WANT new items in my home even if they are good deals... I just don't need more. A good deal isn't a good deal if it's not something you need, AND if you're worried you might need a specific item or type of item, you can give yourself one or two exceptions like many people have been doing. Join us!!! :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2015, 07:31:12 AM »
Wants versus needs.  If you truly think you need something, then search for it and buy it.  Otherwise, stay out of the stores and websites.  Practice being grateful for what you already have.

There will always be good deals.  That doesn't mean you have to partake in them.

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
EXCELLENT advice ninety-four!

hunniebun

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Wants versus needs.  If you truly think you need something, then search for it and buy it.  Otherwise, stay out of the stores and websites.  Practice being grateful for what you already have.

There will always be good deals.  That doesn't mean you have to partake in them.

You are exactly right...but they have marketing down to a science don't they?  They advertize there sales and make us believe in scarcity, when really there is nothing but abundance, in our own closets, in the stores...everywhere. If we miss a once in a lifetimes sale today...we can rest assured that there will be another one next month ;)

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
Otherwise, stay out of the stores and websites.

This is my strategy; just stay out of the stores. Thankfully I got rid of the one friend who liked to shop as a hobby (for unrelated reasons). When I go to places like Fred Meyer or Target, I tell myself I'm only allowed to get the items on my list. Costco is the worst, though. I don't know what it is about Costco, but somehow I've convinced myself that everything there is a deal, which is insane. I haven't had to go yet this year, but I'm dreading it. Wish me luck!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »
15 days in and I haven't purchased anything!  This is a big deal for me.  I also had to unsubscribe to all the shoppy sites b/c it was way too tempting.  I'm doing really well about staying out of stores which I thought would be harder.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
I haven't bought any clothing since the jacket I bought on December 30th and returned.  Fifteen days isn't really a long time for me to go without buying clothing though, so I'll be interested to see what happens when the seasons start to change!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
15 days in and after going for 2 years already, I am wondering how long I will last this third year.  I will definitely need to replace 3 pairs of undies..getting v saggy (sorry that might be TMI). I have 2 pairs of winter Pjs: my faves have holes/ and no elastic in the trousers: not worth replacing it. If I lose some weight, there's another pair I can use: if not I'm toying with improvising with old track pants and teeshirts.   

One of my fave shirts kind of disintegrated at the back yesterday. Its thin chiffon like material and it all pulled apart on mass…out she goes. Its taking time, but between weight loss and things wearing out gradually I'm curating down to less and less. Wearing out clothes actually takes much longer than I realised. I will keep going until I'm down to some sort of Project 333 level…and henceforth maintain a carefully curated small collection.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
Well fail yesterday.  Went to my Salvation Army store where everything is $1.00 to look for some wool clothing to felt for a crafting project and bought 7 items for myself.  I feel shameful writing this.  I spent $7.  Denim shirt by Gap(I've wanted one for a long time - this one has snaps and really nice), J Crew black skirt, a couple of silk blouses, Chico red linen blouse, and Chico gray sweater. NO MORE the rest of the month!  Had to confess.  I will still try.  I love clothes and bargains.  Our $1 Sally is pretty amazing.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
Its taking time, but between weight loss and things wearing out gradually I'm curating down to less and less. Wearing out clothes actually takes much longer than I realised. I will keep going until I'm down to some sort of Project 333 level…and henceforth maintain a carefully curated small collection.

This is the position I'm in too (far less clothing than I used to have due to having lost weight, having worn things out, and having significantly reduced what came in the door last year). Eventually I will need to start buying again - hopefully because nothing fits - and I want a capsule wardrobe of flattering, 'me' clothes that are exactly what I need, no more and no less.

sandyh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been lurking in this forum for the past week or so, and just wanted to say hi :) I'm new to this site, but am already so inspired! I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothing last year (almost $3k...), mostly because I would turn to online shopping to de-stress.

I have to admit I've slipped up once since starting this challenge - I broke down and bought two skirts from Piperlime two days ago. I'm jumping back on the bandwagon though. I resisted the amazing American Eagle sale today (I really don't need more jeans haha), and I'm really happy about that. I'm also trimming down my wardrobe and selling a bunch of clothes I don't wear anymore, which is a fun side hobby.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!