Author Topic: NO clothing shopping (none at all!!) for 2015 (spin)  (Read 1937 times)

tlsv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
NO clothing shopping (none at all!!) for 2015 (spin)
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
Okay - I hate to do this, but the initial no clothing shopping for 2015 thread has turned into a "well I really needed it and got a good deal so it is okay" thread so I felt the need to start another.

Is there anyone else left who joined the thread, who like me, is still able to say they haven't bought a single piece of clothing this year?

Not only have I not purchased any clothing, I have gone further and not purchased any shoes or accessories and have not purchased any clothing, shoes or accessories for gifts either.

Is anyone else still on track for 2015?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: NO clothing shopping (none at all!!) for 2015 (spin)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »
I hav actually bought a few items, 90% necessary like a pair of walking / exercise shoes ( had been using same pair daily almost for 4+ years- long overdue I was told my another poster to this thread ) . pants to replace eventually unwearable even after repairing a couple times , so that I hav 2 pairs of pants . one tanktop purchase was frivolous . but that was months ago .
Anyway, even though you said ZERO PURCHASES I want to join, because I don't need anything and won't in the foreseeable future (2015 or  beyond).:
And yes omg- way too many justified ( rationalized ) PURCHASES on the regular on the original thread .

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
I didn't join the original thread. But I think I haven't bought anything at all. But we have a baby on the way, so DW is about to need some larger clothing for work, and then we'll need something for the kid. I think those are legitimate needs :). We're trying to get stuff from friends they no longer need. So maybe we won't have to buy anything. But for me to wear personally I won't be buying anything.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
I doubt there is this late in the year --

I kinda don't see the point?   I buy very nice used clothing at the thrift store.   I think I have spent maybe $20 thus far this year.   Thing is that clothing wears out so it will have to be replaced.   Shoes especially.   If I didn't buy any clothes this year,  I would need to buy more next year.   

Probably my annual clothe spending is less than $100.   I know every penny counts and the $100 in annual spend results in the need for and additional $2,500 in the kitty in retirement.   

So yeah,  maybe I should set an absolute maximum of $50 --- That would buy me 2 pairs of pants,  5 shirts,  a coat,  2 pairs of decent shoes.   Or maybe I could be more creative and ask people for hand me downs.   My father in law and son are about the same size.     I find that shoes are the hardest to come by used,  although I did pretty well in the last year scoring new Nikes for $20 and 3 pairs of dress and casual shoes for like $10 per pair.  Virtually all my clothes are thrift store purchases unless they are gifts. 

In retrospect it is admirable to question every expense and question if there is a cheaper or free way to accomplish a real need.  (In my state clothing is not optional)

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
Nope, not me either, but I have spent 80% less than last year at this time.  Happy with that for now.