Author Topic: No Clothes Spending For A Year  (Read 8777 times)

jamccain

• Stubble
No Clothes Spending For A Year
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
Inspired be Project 333 I am not going to buy any clothes for a calendar year.  Some will probably laugh at how easy this would be for them, but I know some of us this is a major undertaking.  This includes business attire, casual clothes, shoes, etc.  Nothing (or if you want exclude underwear, socks, or some other item). 

I am starting 1 July and going through 30 June. 

I am only going to buy a couple pairs of socks and a pair of brown business shoes to prepare (I had to get some new brown shoes as my current pair won't make it a year).  I will not be going on a shopping spree though to get me through. 

Honestly, I am not expecting the year to even be difficult because I have a closet and drawers full of nice, hardly worn clothes already, but mentally it will be different not to buy any clothes every few months.  I think a more challenging goal would be 2-3 years and I'm not sure I'd even have a need then unless I wore out a suit or business slacks.  Maybe I will just keep going at the end of my year. 

My #1 motivator is setting the example and proving the point within my family.  Which may or may not be appreciated or even noticed, ha ha. 

So, if you care to join me let us know. 

icefr

• Bristles
Re: No Clothes Spending For A Year
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »
I started this in February. I've bought a few things, but my clothing spending has been SO much better than it was last year (my main goal with the experiment). The funny thing? I have so many shirts that I can go 3-4 weeks without doing laundry. I really don't know why I was always buying more.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »
I so want to do this, but I don't think I have enough clothes to get away with it yet. I have the same problem with the "buy no food this week" challenges--my pantry is literally so close to empty I would run out of food after three days. With the clothes, I have two or three pairs of work pants that I wear over and over, and maybe five shirts.

The problem is that I hate those three pants and five shirts, they aren't flattering. Because I have trouble finding clothes that fit and that I like, I end up buying things very often, using them for a few weeks, and then donating. So I don't have a lot of clothes, but I buy a lot of clothes.

Maybe I should buy a bunch of things, bring them to the tailor, and then do this challenge;)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »
I've been doing Project 333 since October 2012 and I've already committed to no new clothes (or new to me used clothes) in 2013.  I may give some thought to continuing through until next June-- I'll see how it is going come December.

Here's where I'm posting:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/the-compact-starting-today-until-december-31st/

j90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Savings Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
Honestly, I am not expecting the year to even be difficult because I have a closet and drawers full of nice, hardly worn clothes already...

This is how I feel right now. I also just got a job where I work from my home office, so I rarely need to put on clothes at all :). I'm definitely going to take part in this challenge!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
This is awesome...and tempting.  I'm going to think about doing the same thing.  (Yes I am a wimp who loves clothing.) 

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »
I totally get this challenge, but I'm not going to join.  My challenge is to buy clothes.  I hate shopping and I do need some things... I just keep avoiding it.  We should join forces.   

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »
i am such a freaking clothes addict, it's the thing that resists the most all attempts at rational frugal thought. So - though one would think I *should* do this, I won't, because I'd just be setting myself up for a binge.

I am not an "abstainer" but a "moderator" - in all things. I am one of those people who can eat just two cookies and be happy.

A couple of years ago I joined a program (expensive and stupid) that stopped you from clothes shopping for one year, all the while sending you weekly e-mails telling you how to put together cute outfits and find your "type"... these e-mails made me frustrated and - yeah it's a lousy excuse - made me want to go out and get clothes.

So I continue to shop but Very Carefully today - thinking about what I truly need, what goes with what - and I only shop for work clothes - my other clothes are just junk and that's fine with me.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »
As indicated elsewhere, I have been clothes fasting since Jan 1st 2013 and am planning to not buy anything for a year.  The only exception was to replace  my 2 very worn bras, which I have had to do.  Otherwise I'm going great...no clothes, shoes, accessories, jewellery have been purchased since last year.

I have a lot of clothes already, and I hate shopping, so its been easy. I feel sure I will make a year... I might even go longer.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
We don't buy clothes more than once a year or so.  I have work shoes with a huge hole in the sole.  Terrible in the rain!   Also have quite a few worn our work shirts which need replacing  - I have a few I think I have worn for 10 years.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
We don't buy clothes more than once a year or so.  I have work shoes with a huge hole in the sole.  Terrible in the rain!   Also have quite a few worn our work shirts which need replacing  - I have a few I think I have worn for 10 years.

Do you have a shoe repair place nearby?  Getting shoes resoled is relatively inexpensive and makes them last forever. I just got my favorite shoes resoled for probably the 5th time last week.  (I live in the city and walk a ton so I wear them out pretty quickly.)

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:03:49 AM »
I'm in, but will make an exception for new underwear i need to buy. It's been so long mine all have holes in them. The only thing stopping me from buying some already has been my reluctance to go into a store.

I have no trouble staying out of stores, but once I'm inside I have a really hard time saying no to a couple items, which inevitably add up.

I bought a bunch of new work shoes last year, so I should be all set in that category. I have had the same sneakers for at least five years, but can likely hold off another year before buying another pair. It's not like I'm running marathons or something in them.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 06:42:08 AM »
Speaking of not buying clothes...

One of my friends is apparently using this service called Gwynnie Bee, which offers women's clothing in larger sizes. Basically, for a fee, you can rent a certain number of clothes each month--the cheapest plan is $35 for one item per month, most expensive is $160 for 10 things.

On one hand, it's brilliant, because people in that demographic (not mine, so maybe I shouldn't judge) have a difficult time finding things that fit and are flattering. But IDK--I'd have to run the numbers, but seems like an awful lot of money vs. just buying things on sale and having them professionally altered.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
Do you have a shoe repair place nearby?  Getting shoes resoled is relatively inexpensive and makes them last forever. I just got my favorite shoes resoled for probably the 5th time last week.  (I live in the city and walk a ton so I wear them out pretty quickly.)
[/quote]

Yes, I could get that done cheaply but people keep picking on me that these shoes look idiotic anyhow, so I reckon a new pair is in the works.

And the underwear note reminded me I lied - we did each buy a single pair of new underpants last weekend. Woo hoo!  If we like them we might return and buy additional pairs.  I'm down to about two decent pairs and several which are worn out.  Tough times!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »

Yes, I could get that done cheaply but people keep picking on me that these shoes look idiotic anyhow, so I reckon a new pair is in the works.

And the underwear note reminded me I lied - we did each buy a single pair of new underpants last weekend. Woo hoo!  If we like them we might return and buy additional pairs.  I'm down to about two decent pairs and several which are worn out.  Tough times!
[/quote]

HA new shoes it is then!  When I buy shoes I try to get ones with leather soles and separate hard plastic heels so they can be easily resoled.  Might cost more up front but it's less expensive and more "green" in the long run to just resole the same pair instead of buying new ones.

And I hope to get to the point where buying a pair of underwear is all the shopping I do in a year!!!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
I'm in for my own (highly modified and permissive) version of this challenge.  I used to be a HUGE impulse clothing shopper and the amount of money I've wasted on clothes over the past four-ish years is mind boggling. 

I recently overhauled my entire wardrobe keeping only my best things that I love, fit perfectly, and go together as part of a larger effort to kill this impulse shopping thing once and for all.  I will need to purchase some items this fall and winter to round out a wardrobe that mixes and matches well enough for me to have a lot less clothes overall, and I am planning to buy quality items that I really like and I will have them tailored to fit perfectly if I need to.  Then the plan is to keep those clothes until they wear out (repairing them as I go if possible).  Playing into this whole money pit of a closet has been my weight fluctuating quite a bit, but I've got that under control now too.  I really think that spending the money this year to get the clothes situation under control will be worth it.  I did this already for my spring & summer clothes and getting dressed has never been more of a delight and I haven't even WANTED to shop for new clothes.  A true magic bullet.

So my version of this is to buy no item of clothing that it not specifically part of my planned and budgeted for wardrobe overhaul.  I'll also commit to making an effort to get the best quality & fit can for the lowest price possible. I'm also allowed to spend money to repair clothing items as needed to make them last, and buy underwear if I REALLY need to (I'm probably set though).

We will also have to buy my husband a new pair of shoes in the fall.  Otherwise he's set. We'll be looking to get him something that can be repaired as needed rather than something that will need to be replaced every year or two so we're prepared to spend the money for quality, but we'll try to get a good deal.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:37:39 AM »
I'm in for my own (highly modified and permissive) version of this challenge.  I used to be a HUGE impulse clothing shopper and the amount of money I've wasted on clothes over the past four-ish years is mind boggling. 

So my version of this is to buy no item of clothing that it not specifically part of my planned and budgeted for wardrobe overhaul.  I'll also commit to making an effort to get the best quality & fit can for the lowest price possible. I'm also allowed to spend money to repair clothing items as needed to make them last, and buy underwear if I REALLY need to (I'm probably set though).

This for me then too. I am trying to be much more mindful of what I choose to purchase - and when it's important go for quality. I'm going to the States this summer - here where I live, the weather is always cool, rainy - basically like Ireland. In the States it'll be hot... I had to buy (yeah "had to", lol) really lightweight dresses that I'd never be able to wear here - that was a bit frustrating. OK, just one dress  ; )

Quality is worth it - as are buying very classic clothes that I wear year after year. Shoes - very important - here we walk a lot, everywhere. I buy Mephistos for my flat weird feet - my orthotics fit in them. Or, I buy kids' shoes (good quality, good for walking)

thanks for this thread. Clothes are definetly a "thing" for me.

ep114

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »
 i am 3.5 months into this. it's been so much easier than I thought (because I've shopping too much for years and my closets are full!)  if you're on the fence, I highly recommend it.  Best of luck to all.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »
I've decided to do this too, with a twist. I think of myself as really frugal, even in the clothes department, but my clothes spending in 2012 was still $563! However it has always been a goal of mine to become more proficient in sewing, as well as knitting and crocheting, so no new clothes unless I make it myself (with an exception for underwear).

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:45 AM »
I've been kinda doing this since Jan 1st myself.  Although, I did get a new job in February which required the purchase of hospital scrubs and good work shoes.  Does that count??   Otherwise, I haven't bought anything new for my closet since probably last October.  If work clothes count, then I've been doing this since March 2013 and see no reason to add to it this year.

Count me in.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
I've been kinda doing this since Jan 1st myself.  Although, I did get a new job in February which required the purchase of hospital scrubs and good work shoes.  Does that count??   Otherwise, I haven't bought anything new for my closet since probably last October.  If work clothes count, then I've been doing this since March 2013 and see no reason to add to it this year.

Count me in.

It doesn't count unless you want it to. On the project333 website, she says this is not about suffering. You can change the rules because it's your life!

While I've whittled my wardrobe down to 33 pieces, I am okay if shoes end up bringing me up to 34 or 35 pieces. And I am not counting jewelery, which does not take up much space in my closet. The goal, for me, is to whittle down to the essence, to what fits amazingly well and can match several other items. At the same time, I'm figuring this will save me oodles of time while teaching me new ways my old clothes can go together. It's been fun so far. It's also made me think hard about keeping the items that really, really fit well.

If you wear scrubs and do project333, you might want to have more than 33 items because you would not want to wear scrubs outside of work. For me, I can wear "work" clothes during "off" times and make them look casual to do double duty. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
I have really changed my clothes spending habits in the past couple of years.  I used to work in retail and would buy something every single day, with some days I would bring home bags of clothes. I am so happy that I no longer do that.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »
i am such a freaking clothes addict, it's the thing that resists the most all attempts at rational frugal thought. So - though one would think I *should* do this, I won't, because I'd just be setting myself up for a binge.

I am not an "abstainer" but a "moderator" - in all things. I am one of those people who can eat just two cookies and be happy.

That is good you know that about yourself. I am an all or nothing at times. I have to give up ALL clothes shopping or whatever I am giving up. I find it's easier that way and reduces decisions. When I gave up all discretionary shopping, I found it made me more aware when I did shop. I was a lot happier with my choices when I did choose to buy things. As with everything, these challenges are all about finding what works best for you.

ep114

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 03:09:18 AM »
I broke down and bought something....I don't feel guilty though. My flip flops were threatening to fall apart, and I wear them every single day (on my way to and from work- I change into dressier shoes at work)
so I spent $5.09 at Old Navy. Maybe I can consider it a health care expense. A faulty flip-flop could lead to an accident, I think.

Also, I had a funny conversation in Macy's. I turned down a coupon and told the saleswoman I wouldn't be buying anything there. She kept trying to give it to me and saying that I might use it, then I told her about my one year pledge, and she was shocked and horrified.   Having worked retail myself for many years, and knowing how low the wages can be,  I wanted to tell her that she should do it too, but I really didn't think it would come across the right way.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
I broke down and bought something....I don't feel guilty though. My flip flops were threatening to fall apart, and I wear them every single day (on my way to and from work- I change into dressier shoes at work)
so I spent $5.09 at Old Navy. Maybe I can consider it a health care expense. A faulty flip-flop could lead to an accident, I think.

Also, I had a funny conversation in Macy's. I turned down a coupon and told the saleswoman I wouldn't be buying anything there. She kept trying to give it to me and saying that I might use it, then I told her about my one year pledge, and she was shocked and horrified.   Having worked retail myself for many years, and knowing how low the wages can be,  I wanted to tell her that she should do it too, but I really didn't think it would come across the right way.

HA I think that's allowable!  And too funny about the woman at Macy's.  I speak from experience-it is impossible to not shop when you work retail!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
I'm in!  I actually made this goal for myself at the beginning of June after going through all my clothes and being horrified at the waste. 

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
Okay, this is a huge area of weakness for me, and I'm in. I don't have an overflowing wardrobe, but tend to impulse buy then donate things in order to feel less guilty about buying new stuff. But I know I have enough for a year. I am a SAHM for goodness sake and don't need to dress up for anything. Still, I tend to buy expensive athletic and outdoor apparel pretty regularly. So here goes!! Glad this thread is active and hopefully we can support each other in our goals!

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
I've decided to do this too, with a twist. I think of myself as really frugal, even in the clothes department, but my clothes spending in 2012 was still $563! However it has always been a goal of mine to become more proficient in sewing, as well as knitting and crocheting, so no new clothes unless I make it myself (with an exception for underwear).

I never considered myself too much of a clothes horse, but damn, I really do have a lot of stuff that is completely in style and wearable (tend to go quality classic for work).  So, count me in for this challenge!  I also like to sew and is one of my hobbies I want to get good at - but, I have a lot of patterns and material already.  So my rule will be to use my sewing stache and only add zippers, buttons, and the like to finish the garment.

My weakness will be when my MIL comes down in the Fall and Spring - we're both petites and so we like to hit all the same clothing stores.  It's our bonding time :)   I'm going to have to practice my pouty-face, "no, darn, I'm not finding anything that fits just right".  Not a lie, it just won't "fit" my budget!

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
One setback and one success.

I crashed my bicycle on a mountain biking trail. I'm ok, but I put a big hole in my one pair of summer workout capris. I've been wearing them with the hole, but it grows each time I wash them. So after some deliberations I decided to buy a new pair at Walmart for $11.

The success: I removed everything from under my bed in order to vacuum this week and found two pairs of shoes I totally forgot I had. I cleaned out my closet and found a third pair I forgot I had. It's like buying three new pairs of shoes!

On the one hand it's sad that I have so many shoes I could completely forget about three pairs. On the other, it's great to find "new" items for free like that!

Anyone getting the urge to buy some new clothes, I suggest you clean out your closet and under your bed. You might get that new clothes feel from some forgotten items.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!