Author Topic: No clothes shopping - January - 2017!  (Read 21659 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No clothes shopping - January - 2017!
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Shopping for other people is dangerous!  The only way to stay safe is to stay out of the store or off the shopping sites.

Another near miss for me today.  My husband asked last month for a new rain jacket, because the seams on his old one had come apart badly.  I ended up sending it back to Columbia for warranty service, and because they couldn't repair it, they sent him back a gift card for $51!  I started to shop on their website for a new jacket, and noticed that they had one of those "Spend $XXX get an $XX gift card" promotions... I automatically started to shop a new pair of summer shorts for myself when I remembered the challenge!  So I was saved. 

Still haven't done the mending, bad bad!  There are sad holey clothes all over my work desk.  I guess I will try to mend ONE thing before I go to bed!

Hooray!

I actually did hem a skirt that night, but I got stuck while repairing holes in a brand-new sweater that oldest son made while crawling on his belly in the attic to bring down Christmas decorations.  Couldn't find a matching yarn to mend it with, used one that I thought was good enough, but hate the look.  At least today I removed stains in three pieces of toddler's clothes. 

Holding strong, have not even bought my poor husband's jacket with credit yet (waiting for 15% coupon).

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
I recently had an "interesting" conversation with a family member about belts. I own one belt (minimalist capsule wardrobe). A skinny brown one that came with a dress I bought. I also use it for various other outfits. I wore it with a black dress with white dots, and was told by said family member that under no circumstances should a brown belt ever be worn with black!! Oh, shudder! The horrors!!

Am I the only one who finds these fashion "rules" so irritating?!? I would rather just have one simple belt that I like and wear it with whatever I damn well please than have a never-ending supply of accessories & a cluttered closet full of junk....

So irritating.  Just think how awful it must be for people like that to go through their day, seeing violations of their "rules" everywhere!  I say this as a person who used to be adamantly opposed to wearing navy blue and black together.  I since have evolved and recognize that there are plenty of times when the two can go quite well together, depending. :-P

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
Returned a dress my mom had bought me that didn't fit. $40 in store credit. Briefly looked at the clothes (gasp), but quickly walked away. Walked out without buying anything. I will use the credit for kitchen goods or something durable like that when a need comes up.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Still nothing for the hubs or I. The university I work at had free kid's tshirts left over from homecoming they were giving out. So I got one for my middle daughter. She could use some clothing, as much of hers is getting too small. So a free tshirt fit the bill.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
I haven't bought anything.  However I did browse.  I was just sitting around and I jumped on Banana Republic.com which was a mistake, because now I'm dreaming about a pretty spring peach sweater with a pretty floral blouse and a khaki trench coat. 

I knew that spring clothes were going to be my problem area.  In the middle of dreary winter I get drawn to pretty spring colors. I think I'm going to wear some spring colors this week, why save them, who's going to call the fashion police.  I'm hoping it gets me out of my funk and longing for pretty pastels.

The bottom line though is no clothes bought.

14 days left in January (349 days for the year)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »
I haven't bought anything.  However I did browse.  I was just sitting around and I jumped on Banana Republic.com which was a mistake, because now I'm dreaming about a pretty spring peach sweater with a pretty floral blouse and a khaki trench coat. 

I knew that spring clothes were going to be my problem area.  In the middle of dreary winter I get drawn to pretty spring colors. I think I'm going to wear some spring colors this week, why save them, who's going to call the fashion police.  I'm hoping it gets me out of my funk and longing for pretty pastels.

The bottom line though is no clothes bought.

14 days left in January (349 days for the year)

Maybe buy some flowers for your house? If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their single variety bouquets are as little as $3.99- sometimes it is JUST the ticket for some cheer indoors =)

I know flowers aren't very mustachian, but I get them once every couple months, and collect them often over the summer. They are joy incarnate, and mustachians can pry them from my cold dead [because my thermostat is so low] hands.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
Hi Juslooking -- I'm exactly where you are, I think! I would love to attempt this challenge for the entire year, but the baby-steps approach seems more realistic. So, I'm in for January. So far so good! I haven't bought myself any clothes this year (only two weeks in, but still...).

My plan is: no clothes buying FOR MYSELF in 2017, with the following exceptions:
1. good walking/trail shoes
2. winter boots
3. swimsuit.

I will try to get good deals on the above items, and not buy anything else. Wish me luck! Best wishes to all for a frugal 2017.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
So far so good. I don't think January will be an issue. Haven't even been tempted.

Relatedly:

I recently had an "interesting" conversation with a family member about belts. I own one belt (minimalist capsule wardrobe). A skinny brown one that came with a dress I bought. I also use it for various other outfits. I wore it with a black dress with white dots, and was told by said family member that under no circumstances should a brown belt ever be worn with black!! Oh, shudder! The horrors!!

Am I the only one who finds these fashion "rules" so irritating?!? I would rather just have one simple belt that I like and wear it with whatever I damn well please than have a never-ending supply of accessories & a cluttered closet full of junk....

This is what reversible belts are good for. Brown and black all in one.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
I probably need a spank. I went into Macy's to return some clothes I received for Christmas, and walked sternly through all the January discounts without browsing.  But then I bought tulle at Jo-Ann to make a princess skirt for my 3 year old, who has been invited to a princess birthday party at the end of January.  The tulle was very cheap, but I also ended up getting lining fabric which is $8/yard, and I also got enough for 2-3 skirts, not 1, because the fabric was so pretty and sparkly.  I have the bird-brain of a magpie, apparently.

So though I did not technically buy any clothes, I would say that I did fall off the wagon. 

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
I probably need a spank. I went into Macy's to return some clothes I received for Christmas, and walked sternly through all the January discounts without browsing.  But then I bought tulle at Jo-Ann to make a princess skirt for my 3 year old, who has been invited to a princess birthday party at the end of January.  The tulle was very cheap, but I also ended up getting lining fabric which is $8/yard, and I also got enough for 2-3 skirts, not 1, because the fabric was so pretty and sparkly.  I have the bird-brain of a magpie, apparently.

So though I did not technically buy any clothes, I would say that I did fall off the wagon.

Consider yourself spanked. 😃 Now get back on the wagon. Although I will say this, I have noticed other people feeling bad because they bought clothes for kids or spouses. That's not really part of my personal challenge. The person in my house who is not buying clothes this year is me. My son never wants anything new, so if I can talk him into new sneakers then hallelujah. DD has a clothing budget I put her on and she manages it very well. DH never buys anything. So if by some chance somebody else in my house needs something, I'm not counting it against the challenge. The person with the problem here is solely me. JMHO.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Not a penny spent on clothing yet.  It helps that I haven't been browsing.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

Well, making clothes is generally better than buying clothes.. so that's at least somewhat mustachian! But when my daughter was little, I bought her dress-up clothes at the Goodwill. Advantages: Lots of variety; browsing at the Goodwill satisfied my "shopping urge" and most items were $3-5, which I think is even cheaper than home-made.

Although I will say this, I have noticed other people feeling bad because they bought clothes for kids or spouses. That's not really part of my personal challenge. The person in my house who is not buying clothes this year is me.

I agree Juslookin. My growing teen will definitely need clothes; it's me who really doesn't need anything.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »

Well, making clothes is generally better than buying clothes.. so that's at least somewhat mustachian! But when my daughter was little, I bought her dress-up clothes at the Goodwill. Advantages: Lots of variety; browsing at the Goodwill satisfied my "shopping urge" and most items were $3-5, which I think is even cheaper than home-made.

You're absolutely right, and with a smidgen of thought I could have traveled 5 minutes more to Goodwill.  Plus she has plenty of beautiful dresses already that we could have princessized with some creativity.  But my reasoning went thus... Tulle goes for $1.50/yard, so with a 50% off coupon I could get three yards for $2.25, and use elastic and ribbon that I already have to make the skirt.  But there were so many lovely colors, I ended up getting 15 yards, two colors of lining, fabric glue to add decorations,  etc. etc. Not that I might have shown any self-control at Goodwill either.

Consider yourself spanked. 😃 Now get back on the wagon.

Ouch, thanks!  I guess this is why the gauntlet is called "No clothes shopping" rather than "No clothes buying". Once you're in the store or on the website, it's almost too late.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:29:51 PM by Poundwise »

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
Still doing good. No clothes for myself or my husband this year. HE goes to the gym each morning and sometimes wears the crotch out of his shorts. He likes those like mesh shorts but they wear out easily. Anyways, we are still going to try not to buy anything all year for us. He has some sweat pants he can wear if he has to.

The kids are a different story, they are all three growing like CRAZY. So far I haven't bought them anything this year either. Although it's coming. I have received one free tshirt from the university I teach at for my middle daughter, and then one of my friends gave me two free tshirts that fit the older two girls as well. So three new tshirts, zero spent for the year.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
I'm in! Except I am allowed to buy from Thrift stores, Yard sales etc - as long as it is cheap.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »
Still going strong on this one, and determined to be successful! I am even more committed after my best friend from high school came to visit this past weekend. I live her, but she is a total consumer-sucka trainwreck. When I said I wasn't going to buy and clothes for myself at all this year, she was aghast and said she could never manage that, even though she easily has 3x (or more) the wearable clothing that I do at the moment. It made me sad, and more determined to stick to my goals.

I have bought a couple items for my daughter this month, but she had ONE pair of warm pants, thanks to a recent growth spurt, so we got 3 pairs on clearance at Target. Boy am I glad since it is cold and rainy for the next 6 days. Everyone else in the house is perfectly happy with the 63 degree thermostat setting, but she is always the one who is cold. Warmer clothing for her is cheaper than upping the heat.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »
Not a penny spent on clothing yet.  It helps that I haven't been browsing.

Same here!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
Nothing for us here. My husband has a pair of black work shoes he wears 5 times a week. He's already super glued them a few times. We may have to buy more of those soon. The only other pair of shoes he has are tennis shoes and a big pair of rubber work boots. Neither of which he is allowed to wear to the office.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
Still doing well. Put out a request for maternity pajama pants on buy nothing, but nothing yet.  May have to buy them next month as I need something to wear in the hospital, and my regular ones just aren't going to work well...  Need nursing clothes too...

Otherwise the goal is to get as far into the year as possible.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Still nothing. Doing well :-)

Getting too "fat" for my last remaining non-stretchy, non-maternity clothes, so I imagine that February will be a good point to go buy some more maternity clothes using gift cards.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2017, 04:23:17 AM »
Today I wore sleep shorts at home because my denim shorts were dirty. Hubby said "we have to get you some more shorts". Nope!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
Of COURSE, on day 2 of the shopping ban, I take out laundry only to discover a pair of DH's shorts have torn irreparably. Luckily, he agrees that he still has enough without them, so we'll just see how it goes for Shorts-1.

It'll help that I'm not working right now so I can just do laundry more often.

UGH. Well, DH is now at Shorts-2.

Thrift store trip will have to happen within the next couple days =( And since I don't shop often, I'll check for pants for myself at the same time, since my 'jeggings' are falling apart. VERY short lived (2-3 months?) and I'm very unhappy about it.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
How is everybody holding up?  I will confess my near misses.  Super cute shirt found online, reserved at the store, I did not pick it up.  WooHoo!

Adorable pair of shoes at Zappos.com, browsed, put into the cart, did not order.  WooHoo!

I currently have a $95.00 reward at Banana Republic and a $25.00 gift card for there.  I am saving them so that when the spring clothes come out and I am really looking for something new I will use those.  Or if I have an event I need something to wear to.  Either way I'm saving it as a treat and not as an all the time.  So at some point I will buy something, but it won't cost me anything, and I'm going to make it a few more months until I do.

So, the month was easier than I thought it would be once I got rolling.  I do still get tempted by pretty things, so I try not to look at them.  The new JCrew catalog showed up in the mail and I had DH toss it right into the fireplace.  Win for me. I had really developed a bad shopping habit.  It was within my control to fix it though so all I had to do was decide I wanted to.

So 6 days left for January (340 days for the year)

Whose still with me?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:04:04 AM by Juslookin »

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
Well, I'm in for February and hopefully beyond after buying one t-shirt I didn't need in January. 

I'm trying to think of what "problems" could arise later in the year.

Will probably need to buy...
- Running shoes.  I run a lot, I go through a lot of shoes.  I'm not willing to run in old shoes as it causes a lot of problems and injuries for me.  So these are more of a need than a want.  I'm not sure if the pairs I have right now will make it through all of 2017. 
- Bike shorts.  A lot of pairs I own are too big (should probably get rid of them, really) and one is too short for my modest self to wear to the office (I try and bike commute a few times a week in the summer - 30 mile round trip.)  I may or may not be able to get by without buying another pair this year.
- I have a summer wedding to attend and I don't own a dress that fits.  (I don't own a lot of dresses in general.  Two, I think?  One is too big and the other is a hand me down that makes me feel self conscious and isn't really wedding appropriate anyway.)

Will be tempted to buy...
- Bike jerseys.  I currently own two and the temptation is always strong to buy more because the pockets on the back are so handy.  That said, they're ridiculously expensive, I don't wear them while commuting, and two should be FINE.  Even if they're both in the wash, I have tons of other wicking, sport type t-shirts to wear.
- Some sort of black, stretchy, yoga type pants.  I must be the only woman in the US not to own a pair of yoga pants, but I don't.  It would be nice to have a pair of pants I can lounge around the house in, but still look okay going to the store, etc.  But I've lived this long without them, I can keep going. 
- T-shirts.  I'm a sucker for good, soft, well fitting t-shirt. 

I'm sure there will be other things I'll be tempted to buy, but those are the ones that stuck out right now. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
I've done well so far.  Would like to continue this stretch at least through the end of March.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »
So far so good for me too! Went away for a weekend, and didn't buy any (souvenir) clothing items in all the fun vintage shops. Was sorely tried though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »
Still no shopping. Was given a pair of amazing leggings for my third trimester belly, and am now debating buying another pair next month- but I'm going to work hard to suppress the urge!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
Still no shopping. Was given a pair of amazing leggings for my third trimester belly, and am now debating buying another pair next month- but I'm going to work hard to suppress the urge!

I think that dealing with a pregnant changing body creates a unique challenge  to try and not buy clothes through.  I don't know that I could be so strong, congratulations.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »

I think that dealing with a pregnant changing body creates a unique challenge  to try and not buy clothes through.  I don't know that I could be so strong, congratulations.

I was given 2 pairs of maternity jeans and a pair of maternity yoga pants. That has gotten me through 2 pregnancies.  (I also borrowed a pair of maternity shorts last time.)

I purchased like 8 shirts this time around, wore hand me downs last time, but they really weren't in good enough shape to wear at work this time around.

Thankfully I have a casual workplace, so the capsule wardrobe works.

I don't have a coat, but it's not like I'm the one shoveling snow right now anyway. I can handle the cold going from parking lot to buildign when I need to.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »
A local blog posted about a deal through Schoola today - I  signed up using her link and got a $10 credit.  Using that I 'bought' a sweater using the code THANKYOU at checkout making it 50% off and free shipping.  Since I picked a sweater that was under $10 after that discount, it was free.  While I know those deals don't happen all the time, I like to take advantage of them when I can.  I think you have to sign up using someone else's referral to get the $10 credit.  So if you know someone (or want to use mine - just ask) it's a good deal.  And I spent a little time on the website looking around - the deals are really good!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »
A local blog posted about a deal through Schoola today - I  signed up using her link and got a $10 credit.  Using that I 'bought' a sweater using the code THANKYOU at checkout making it 50% off and free shipping.  Since I picked a sweater that was under $10 after that discount, it was free.  While I know those deals don't happen all the time, I like to take advantage of them when I can.  I think you have to sign up using someone else's referral to get the $10 credit.  So if you know someone (or want to use mine - just ask) it's a good deal.  And I spent a little time on the website looking around - the deals are really good!

Do you mind PMing me a link? I did a similar deal before, and got a bunch of great stuff with it. Thanks!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

Do you mind PMing me a link? I did a similar deal before, and got a bunch of great stuff with it. Thanks!

Sent it!  Thanks!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Schoola has free shipping combined with codes again?

I got SO much from them, but then they stopped letting you combine things and it got really expensive.

Of course now all my credits have expired :(

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Schoola has free shipping combined with codes again?

I got SO much from them, but then they stopped letting you combine things and it got really expensive.

Of course now all my credits have expired :(

I've seen codes posted for this site before and looked around but never signed up or bought anything before today.  Couldn't resist a free sweater!  :)

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
Oh I thought from the title that this was a thread about going to the store while naked. I see that I am in the wrong place.

(/jk) ;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
Oh I thought from the title that this was a thread about going to the store while naked. I see that I am in the wrong place.

(/jk) ;)

No wonder you notice those headwinds!

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
it gets drafty, i admit.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »

(/jk) ;)

This makes it especially tough to avoid impulse buys.  First pair of pants you see- buying it!

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
- Bike shorts.  A lot of pairs I own are too big (should probably get rid of them, really) and one is too short for my modest self to wear to the office (I try and bike commute a few times a week in the summer - 30 mile round trip.)  I may or may not be able to get by without buying another pair this year.

off topic but...30 mile r/t?!  Major props to you for that bike commute - that's awesome.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
I'm holding strong y'all!  It's been helpful to have a zero-clothes-buying rule so I don't even look at any of the websites and barely glance in store front windows when I walk by.  Not buying anything has actually HELPED my self-confidence - it's like it has removed a whole area of insecurity from my worries.  No point in worrying about my clothes since I'm not going to buy any new ones.  Instead I choose outfits more carefully, make more of an effort with my hair and makeup, etc.  Anyone else feeling this too?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Of COURSE, on day 2 of the shopping ban, I take out laundry only to discover a pair of DH's shorts have torn irreparably. Luckily, he agrees that he still has enough without them, so we'll just see how it goes for Shorts-1.

It'll help that I'm not working right now so I can just do laundry more often.

UGH. Well, DH is now at Shorts-2.

Thrift store trip will have to happen within the next couple days =( And since I don't shop often, I'll check for pants for myself at the same time, since my 'jeggings' are falling apart. VERY short lived (2-3 months?) and I'm very unhappy about it.

Went to goodwill. Got 2 pairs of good nike running shorts for DH for $11, and a pair of yoga pants for me. These will get worn, but I need regular pants more, and should have focused there. Didn't have the energy to try on jeans though =\
Put it onto a visa GC we got as a cash back on a purchase. I want to use it for non-grocery type things because we get good reward % there.

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
off topic but...30 mile r/t?!  Major props to you for that bike commute - that's awesome.

Thank you!  It's not as bad as you might think.  It's only an hour each way and I only do it when the weather is nice (and in the Midwest, that means approx. late April-early October or so.)  But yeah, that's why I will probably need to buy some bike shorts in the future! 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
It is so interesting.  This is one challenge I wasn't going to join in the beginning because I am rounding out my wardrobe but this is the only challenge I will have succeeded at.  LOL.  No clothes bought in January.  I know we have a few more days but I am not going shopping so I am safe.  It helped that I want to lose some weight first before buying.  Awesome though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
Although I managed December, I failed in January :(

I got a $10 off $10 coupon for Motherhood Maternity and figured I'd stop in and see if they had anything within a dollar or two of $10.  (They didn't... there was $9.99 and $14.99 in the clearance.)  However, clearance was buy 1 get 1 free.  So I got two nursing tanks for $5.29.  Failed the challenge, but a pretty good deal.  One is slightly smaller than I think I'd wear out, but I can wear it around the house. It fit over my pregnant belly, so will surely work post-partum, but who wants skin tight when you're just fat and it's not baby anymore :)  But since I was shopping clearance, there was only 1 medium available. (1 small, then everything was XL or XS...)

AND- DH emailed me to tell me he "needs" a black Hawkeye t-shirt for the basketball game he is going to. He only has a gold one.  So I  found one for $10.59.  I'm annoyed about this purchase. It seems like he could have just worn a black shirt...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
So far so good. My swimsuits for working out are in such sad shape, and I'd like a cute suit for an upcoming trip. Trying to hold out a few more days. 

So hard to find cute swimsuits that fit. Most frustrating shopping EVER. I hate "halter" style and string bikinis because they are inadequate on top and you can't actually do anything in them other than lounge.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »
If you find a halter you like, it only takes a few stitches to make them tank or cross back.  They hurt my neck, so I do all my suits.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
Just found this challenge and I'm in! My wardrobe is relatively small right now (#Project333), and it's all stuff I love.

My big challenge will be moving from Florida to Oregon this year and adapting to the changing temperatures & rain. I bought a 3-layer fancy Northface coat in 2016 and plan to keep it for-ev-er. I'm inspired by Mrs. Frugalwoods, I think she's on year 3 now of no clothes shopping?

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Down to the wire. One day left for January.  I am definitely going to make it.  It did get easier as the month went on although I did find where my slippery slopes were.  Emails and catalogs coming to the house.  Warm weather is going to be my downfall. 

I am shooting for an entire year of no clothes shopping in bits and pieces, I am going to set up a new gauntlet for February.  Are you jumping into that gauntlet with me?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
Down to the wire. One day left for January.  I am definitely going to make it.  It did get easier as the month went on although I did find where my slippery slopes were.  Emails and catalogs coming to the house.  Warm weather is going to be my downfall. 

I am shooting for an entire year of no clothes shopping in bits and pieces, I am going to set up a new gauntlet for February.  Are you jumping into that gauntlet with me?

You could probably even just change the name on this one and add an edit to the first post! =) That way you don't lose the crowd here.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
Are we rolling on into February?

I did get two new swimsuits for training, which I consider sports equipment, not clothing. Otherwise no clothing purchases for me or anyone in the household.

I want to do the same for February for myself and hopefully the kids too (they keep outgrowing stuff!).

I even purged a few things out of my closet and have my eye on a few other things that are likely to go as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:07:15 AM by MsPeacock »