Author Topic: No clothes shopping - January - 2017!  (Read 21636 times)

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping - January - 2017!
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
Welcome to everybody jumping in!

So today I get an email from one of my favorite online shopping places. They were so kind to remind me that I had left something in my shopping bag. They offered me a discount, wasn't that big of them. I didn't even remember that I had left anything behind.  No thank you.

27 days to go for January (361 days for the year)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:53:40 PM by Juslookin »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
Welcome to everybody jumping in!

So today I get an email from one of my favorite online shopping places. They were so kind to remind me that I had left something in my shopping bag. They offered me a discount, wasn't that big of them. I didn't even remember that I had left anything behind.  No thank you.

27 days to go for January (361 days for the year)

Woohoo! Good job walking away (metaphorically speaking anyway).

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
This is a great goal. I was able to achieve a similar goal once I began working from home - e.g. no longer needed the uniform to show off in the corp world. That said, I already had plenty of simple, high quality weekend workout wear with the addition of some very comfortable Gap long and Short Sleeve Shirts on sale and the occasional replenishment of levis that last my wife and I for almost ever - especially if you line dry - we are down to almost zero except for cotton sox and unders that we now get on amazon on the cheap. If I had to continue to go into the office, I would simply update my collard shirts, more stylish T's a couple times a year, on sale. Working from home has been a huge wealth builder for anyone just starting to do it as you don't need those clothes, no more overpriced cosmetics for my wife for which she now realizes she never needed in the first place, no more cocktail hour with people we don't really like, no more daily java at starbucks or lunch at wherever, no more commuting costs. I think Steve Jobs adopted the almost all black all the time and we have done the pretty much the same. Jeans, Yoga or Workout Wear w/Black/Gray T's and not too much else. Have not purchased shoes since 2008 since we are no longer slaves to silly fashion or the social norms. People may assume that we are poor slobs but the beauty in that is that we don't really care and we are FI because of it. have fun!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 07:15:07 AM »
So far so good.  I did two returns yesterday.  Didn't buy anything new.  The best strategy for me is to stay away from the stores.  I got sucked in at the end of December because my daughter needed some things so we ended up shopping the post-Christmas sales.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
I've decided to start air drying all our jeans. They're definitely the item that wears out fastest in our home. We're very active and DH wears them for work. We generally don't dry inside in the winter because it's too wet here. Mold is a huge problem. I'm hoping if I *just* do jeans though I can get away with it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
The best strategy for me is to stay away from the stores. 

So true.  Was helping a friend shop for evening gowns yesterday and if I weren't on the wagon I would have picked up some clothing for me that looked great but I have no occasion to wear!

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I'm in! Aiming for all of 2017 but I do well with smaller mini-goals throughout the year rather than one huge task. Thanks for starting this!

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
I'm in! I'm also trying not to buy clothes for my 1-year-old. He has sooo many hand-me-downs that he shouldn't need any for a while. It's hard to resist cute baby clothes but at this point it's just clutter.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
So, as some of you may know I work at home.  Some days though I have to leave the house and see actual people.  Today was one of those days.  So I ask you, why do I have closets bursting with clothes, but never anything to wear?

I definitely need to take more time putting things together.  I know some people have moved to capsule wardrobes to simplify their days, but that's really not for me.  I like putting together outfits, I just don't allow enough time to do it, then I end up wearing the same thing all the time.  So long story short, I saw my boss only twice in the past month, and I'm pretty sure I wore the same thing both times.  Ugggg.

26 days to go for January (360 days for the year)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:41 PM »
So, as some of you may know I work at home.  Some days though I have to leave the house and see actual people.  Today was one of those days.  So I ask you, why do I have closets bursting with clothes, but never anything to wear?

I definitely need to take more time putting things together.  I know some people have moved to capsule wardrobes to simplify their days, but that's really not for me.  I like putting together outfits, I just don't allow enough time to do it, then I end up wearing the same thing all the time.  So long story short, I saw my boss only twice in the past month, and I'm pretty sure I wore the same thing both times.  Ugggg.

Would it work better to lay them out ahead of time? Either the night before, or the weekend before? Just have a "real clothes go station" for when you need it?

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I have to do.  It's just a matter of getting organized and being disciplined to allow the time.  Lets be honest, I could probably wear the same thing the next four times I saw my boss and he probably wouldn't notice anyway. :)

Would it work better to lay them out ahead of time? Either the night before, or the weekend before? Just have a "real clothes go station" for when you need it?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
Juslookin, this may seem counterintuitive, but when I decluttered my wardrobe and let go of the items that didn't actually suit me in some way (didn't quite fit, colour didn't *really* suit me, etc) I found that it was much easier to put together outfits and felt like that "I have nothing to wear" feeling dissipated entirely. Others here have made similar statements on other clothing threads. Have you found the minimalist wardrobe thread yet? Well worth a read.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »
Juslookin, this may seem counterintuitive, but when I decluttered my wardrobe and let go of the items that didn't actually suit me in some way (didn't quite fit, colour didn't *really* suit me, etc) I found that it was much easier to put together outfits and felt like that "I have nothing to wear" feeling dissipated entirely. Others here have made similar statements on other clothing threads. Have you found the minimalist wardrobe thread yet? Well worth a read.

I had the same experience when I did a major wardrobe purge last summer - my drawers are now half empty now and it's amazingly easy to get dressed in the morning (also easy to put clothes away when I'm done with them, since it doesn't involve cramming stuff into an overcrowded dresser drawer).  Keep meaning to go back to that minimalist wardrobe thread and read it, thx for the reminder Happier!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

Hi Juslooking.......when you have some time try shopping in your own closet (s)

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
Day 6 for here us here and nothing. It's been cold and snowy and I'm still out on break until I start back on the 9th.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
This is actually a pretty easy one when it coincides with Uber Frugal month. Since I'm trying to spend close to nothing, I don't even look.  Normally I look and have to remind myself I don't want to spend.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 05:01:09 PM »
I didn't even go through the clothes section at the grocery store tonight! That's usually the only place where I am tempted, since I don't go to malls and don't get emails from retailers.

Although the store beside my yoga studio had a beautiful pair of pants in the window... Luckily the store was closed and I could only window shop!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
No clothing purchases yet and I haven't gone looking either.  I think it helps that I want to lose some lbs first before buying so that helps a lot. 

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
Holding strong with no clothing purchases (and Uber Frugal January is helping).  But man do I want some new leggings.  I'm without a single pair of comfy black leggings which are usually my staple in winter.  But I keep telling myself I can make do with jeans and lounge pants at least until February when I will reevaluate.  And by that time spring won't be so far off so maybe I'll convince myself to live without them.  Or at least I can try looking at thrift stores first.  Wish me luck.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
>Sigh<  I have this HUGE pile of mending that needs to get done.  I know that if I do it, it will count both as decluttering and also will reduce the temptation to shop for clothes.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »
I'm happy to see so many people joining us. It's so cold and snowy, I am happy to be home in jammies and staying warm. I will make it through January for sure. I did think for a brief moment that a pair of fuzzy Uggs would be nice. So this is wht I did. I went and tendered $200.00 from my checking account into my savings account. Same money gone, but such a better purpose.

Are you trying any little tricks to avoid parting with cold,  hard cash?

24 days to go for January (358 days for the year)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:23:10 PM by Juslookin »

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
>Sigh<  I have this HUGE pile of mending that needs to get done.  I know that if I do it, it will count both as decluttering and also will reduce the temptation to shop for clothes.

Go do your mending and then come back and brag to us about it! We'll be waiting!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
Holding strong with no clothing purchases (and Uber Frugal January is helping).  But man do I want some new leggings.  I'm without a single pair of comfy black leggings which are usually my staple in winter.  But I keep telling myself I can make do with jeans and lounge pants at least until February when I will reevaluate.  And by that time spring won't be so far off so maybe I'll convince myself to live without them.  Or at least I can try looking at thrift stores first.  Wish me luck.

Good luck!!!

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Getting back on my ship the 11th, it is North of Danemark, so I splurged on some skiing thermal underwear on sale, I still need more socks as the oil destroys them.
Traditional thermals are really crap for heavy work, dedicated stuff is eye watering expensive and I need to pass my rating to get free ones from the company.

Bonus tip, buy the most feminine clothes possible, tends to not get lost in the laundry, must check if I can find pink Frozen socks in size 45/46.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
I just completed a year of no clothes shopping in 2016, and I want to
1) cheer you all on and
2) offer my services if you want to get your clothes buying thing on - I need help shopping (with my money) and I hate it. So if you really like it and want the thrill, please come help me shop for myself? I am in dire need of wardrobe replacement. Out of 50 items in my closet, 5 I have bought. The rest were gifted or from clothing swaps and 5 were sewn from fabric I got for feee at clothing swaps. I hate shopping.

I am great at not buying clothes if you need tips!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
1) cheer you all on and
2) offer my services if you want to get your clothes buying thing on - I need help shopping (with my money) and I hate it. So if you really like it and want the thrill, please come help me shop for myself? I am in dire need of wardrobe replacement. Out of 50 items in my closet, 5 I have bought. The rest were gifted or from clothing swaps and 5 were sewn from fabric I got for feee at clothing swaps. I hate shopping.

Hmmmm....shopping with your money would probably be like watching someone else eat a hot fudge sundae when your dieting.  :)

Thanks for the offer though.  Lol

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
1) cheer you all on and

Hmmmm....shopping with your money would probably be like watching someone else eat a hot fudge sundae when your dieting.  :)

Haha. It seems like some people like shopping and don't care as much about the clothes!

You can do it for a whole year, month by month, I believe in you! I found it wasn't as hard last year as I thought. :-)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
1) cheer you all on and

Haha. It seems like some people like shopping and don't care as much about the clothes!

You can do it for a whole year, month by month, I believe in you! I found it wasn't as hard last year as I thought. :-)

Thanks for the motivation!  Good luck on the clothes shopping (sorry, I just can't understand that problem LOL).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
Shopping for other people is dangerous!  The only way to stay safe is to stay out of the store or off the shopping sites.

Another near miss for me today.  My husband asked last month for a new rain jacket, because the seams on his old one had come apart badly.  I ended up sending it back to Columbia for warranty service, and because they couldn't repair it, they sent him back a gift card for $51!  I started to shop on their website for a new jacket, and noticed that they had one of those "Spend $XXX get an $XX gift card" promotions... I automatically started to shop a new pair of summer shorts for myself when I remembered the challenge!  So I was saved. 

Still haven't done the mending, bad bad!  There are sad holey clothes all over my work desk.  I guess I will try to mend ONE thing before I go to bed!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »
Shopping for other people is dangerous!  The only way to stay safe is to stay out of the store or off the shopping sites.

Another near miss for me today.  My husband asked last month for a new rain jacket, because the seams on his old one had come apart badly.  I ended up sending it back to Columbia for warranty service, and because they couldn't repair it, they sent him back a gift card for $51!  I started to shop on their website for a new jacket, and noticed that they had one of those "Spend $XXX get an $XX gift card" promotions... I automatically started to shop a new pair of summer shorts for myself when I remembered the challenge!  So I was saved. 

Still haven't done the mending, bad bad!  There are sad holey clothes all over my work desk.  I guess I will try to mend ONE thing before I go to bed!

Hooray!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:42:22 AM by Juslookin »

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:03 AM »
I have been lucky these days.  Too busy to shop.  Too busy to care.  This is a major big deal for me.  I can't even post what I spent on clothes last year.  Its obscene.  I know that when Spring comes it will get harder, but for now I am so incredibly focused on other things.....including building up a nice cash cushion, the clothes shopping thing has become unimportant. 

The other saving grace is that I am not looking or window shopping.  Its amazing how you can need nothing and then get a catalog and suddenly you need a dozen things. 

So today I am sporting a plaid pink pair of "lounge pants" (yes, I know they're pajamas) and a hand me down sweatshirt my daughter didn't want, fuzzy socks and slippers.  Its a work at home day.  YAY!

21 days remaining for January (355 days remaining for the year)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »
Bad news. I'm out of the challenge. We *definitely* need to get DH a new jacket. Current contract involves being outdoors, and being wet. For hours. And it's going to be freezing again and snow is still on the ground. Going to go today before he leaves and get DH a big carhartt jacket. As as a result of the short timeline, I'm not even going to have time to check thrift stores- it's pretty specific what he needs for this, can't have a hood because it gets in the way of his helmet, fabric requirements, etc etc. Checked online for price comparisons so I know what's reasonable, and it'll be right about $115. =(

Nothing we can substitute or borrow though, and this will be good for him to have.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »
Bad news. I'm out of the challenge.
You don't need to be out of the challenge, get right back to it once you buy a jacket!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
You don't need to be out of the challenge, get right back to it once you buy a jacket!

But it's *no* clothes shopping. And I am shopping =o

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »

Sometimes you fall off the (clothes)horse, and then you just get back on.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »

You're not shopping for clothes.  You are getting a piece of specialized equipment that your husband needs for his job.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
I agree Bracken Joy, this purchase sounds necessary (more like equipment than clothing - how's that for a lawyerly argument?) so I think the challenge is still on :)

Is shopping your sister's hand-me-downs cheating?  I hope not because I did it the other day and got some cute things.  It's definitely helping me keep up the no-shopping mentality, though part of me feels like I should be rejecting the acquisition of more stuff generally.  I have the same issue with whether, after January, to allow thrift store shopping or not.  I worry that if I do, I'll end up transferring my retail shopping habit to thrift store shopping.  But bargain-hunting is fun (and good for the environment), and if I cull my existing wardrobe to donate things so my drawers don't get overstuffed again...then maybe it'll be OK?  A question for another day, though, because I'm committed to not buying ANY clothes for the rest of January!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »
Haha, okay, I have been successfully lawyered. I'll still be in for the challenge. (Also, A+ pun there MM). I want to see how long I make it!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »

You're not shopping for clothes.  You are getting a piece of specialized equipment that your husband needs for his job.
I completely agree.  Its like you bought him a hammer or a measuring tape, its required equipment.

However, if it was a fuzzy pink sweater or an adorable pair of converse sneakers that he HAD to have....I think I might call foul. :)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »
I agree Bracken Joy, this purchase sounds necessary (more like equipment than clothing - how's that for a lawyerly argument?) so I think the challenge is still on :)

Is shopping your sister's hand-me-downs cheating?  I hope not because I did it the other day and got some cute things.  It's definitely helping me keep up the no-shopping mentality, though part of me feels like I should be rejecting the acquisition of more stuff generally.  I have the same issue with whether, after January, to allow thrift store shopping or not.  I worry that if I do, I'll end up transferring my retail shopping habit to thrift store shopping.  But bargain-hunting is fun (and good for the environment), and if I cull my existing wardrobe to donate things so my drawers don't get overstuffed again...then maybe it'll be OK?  A question for another day, though, because I'm committed to not buying ANY clothes for the rest of January!

I don't know....for me buying is buying.  I snagged a sweatshirt out of the goodwill bag my DD was putting together because I could use it.  Did I need another sweatshirt....I don't know, probably not.....but I'm wearing it right now. So I think different people will feel differently, its really a personal decision. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:50:46 AM by Juslookin »

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Getting back on my ship the 11th, it is North of Danemark, so I splurged on some skiing thermal underwear on sale, I still need more socks as the oil destroys them.
Traditional thermals are really crap for heavy work, dedicated stuff is eye watering expensive and I need to pass my rating to get free ones from the company.

Bonus tip, buy the most feminine clothes possible, tends to not get lost in the laundry, must check if I can find pink Frozen socks in size 45/46.

Off topic: Your life sounds so incredibly different from mine, I'm a little fascinated.  Stay warm.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
I bought the pair of shoes I needed because mine are dangerously slippery in this rain and no longer provide the support I need for my messed up feet. That was a planned expense, paid for mostly with a gift card, and should be my only clothing purchase of the year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
Okay, ended up being REALLY good we bought that jacket. DH spend 12 hours on a riverbank in over a foot of snow today. The jacket was heartily appreciated- I got multiple texts to that effect. So I'm thinking $70 very, very well spent there.

No other clothes temptation. A website I ordered from a million years ago started emailing me again (why do they do that?? out of the blue?) but I unsubscribed without looking at any of the items. =)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »
Okay, ended up being REALLY good we bought that jacket. DH spend 12 hours on a riverbank in over a foot of snow today. The jacket was heartily appreciated- I got multiple texts to that effect. So I'm thinking $70 very, very well spent there.

No other clothes temptation. A website I ordered from a million years ago started emailing me again (why do they do that?? out of the blue?) but I unsubscribed without looking at any of the items. =)

Nice job.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »
No clothing bought. January is flying by.

18 days left in January (352 for the year)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
This is the one challenge I am doing ok on! No clothing bought :)

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
Nothing bought here either. :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »
Doing well here.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »
This is one challenge I might actually accomplish.  So far, so good.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
This is one challenge I might actually accomplish.  So far, so good.

Me too! I am going to FL next week and would like a new swimsuit top.... but want to pass this challenge!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!