Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177406 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #400 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
Good advice, allsummerlong.

So I tried the "dig deeper" into your bureau trick today and pulled out a shirt I haven't worn in a while.  I got rid of the pants I usually wear it with (worn out), and the other pair I would use has a stain I need to get out.  So...I mixed it up with a different pair of pants, tossed on a thin scarf for the first time ever (I bought a handful in Asia and have never really worn them), and I'm pleased with my "new" outfit.  Inspires me (again) to go and get rid of the clothes I don't like that I've been hanging onto, and rejigger the rest in new outfits.

ETA: Comment between writing that and now from a coworker, "Look at you!  So coordinated with your scarf matching your pants.  Looks great."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:22:28 PM by CommonCents »

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
Hi Rural, I applaud your efforts to make your wardrobe work without buying more clothing. There is a case to be made for professional clothes being one of your tools for success. If you were a carpenter and your nail gun was breaking, you couldn't repair it or borrow one, you would go ahead and buy another one without feeling guilty or wasteful. It sounds like you might be at that point with your wardrobe. I would recommend checking out theviviennefiles.com - specifically her posts on capsule and 4x4 wardrobes and then go buy a couple of pieces. Ann Taylor is a good starting place with decent pricepoints and tons of sales.

Also, mustachianism should allow you to buy sandals! Unless you are in crazy debt, release your feet this summer! I would try Naot or Mephisto or Wolky for arch support. I personally love the Helen model from Mephisto. Order a bunch from Zappos to see what you like and then shop around for best prices.

I am dubious about consignment stores.

So, this post might get me drummed out of the club for encouraging consumption, but I think dressing appropriately is important for professional development and progress.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
Okay reporting back. Thanks for the prodding, everyone, to go through the closet again. I didn't find anything that I didn't know about, but I did discover that I could fit into the suit with the skirt again! That's a major plus; it gives me a skirt and a jacket, and I have started building a capsule wardrobe for the trip around it. It's purple, a little too dark to fit the season's pastels, but is distinctive enough to qualify as a signature piece. It'll do nicely. Plus, I have not one but four scarves that will coordinate well with it, and scarves are a breeze to pack.

I have two good white blouses, either of which would do nicely as another piece of the capsule, but they each have a stain. I'm going to get some Oxy cleaner and soak the stains to see if I can salvage one or the other.

I was able to repair the go-to black silk sweater, so I'm set there.

One of the new shirts I've recently bought is a nice shirt/jacket in gray that coordinates with the purple and with the black-and-white that I'm going to make the basis for everything else. I have a good black shell, and I need to find a white shell.

I will also still have to buy the black pants and the loafers. I have a dressy pair of Danskos that will go with the skirt (yay for shoe repair, which they've had twice).

Hadlily, I don't think anyone will drum you out of the club, but don't give up on used and consignment. Most of my wardrobe is (was, for the worn out parts) Ann Taylor, Talbots, and Jones New York, and I didn't buy any of it new. That's one reason I'm looking so hard now and making decisions more than a month ahead of time: to have the time to look in thrift stores. I'll give the pants another two to three weeks to turn up at s thrift store before I break down and go to the outlets. The white shell I'm certain I can find at a thrift store, and I'm not much worried about brand for a shell. The shoes, because of my arch support issues, I'll probably buy new, but I do fine in loafers from Dr Scholls with an added arch support insert. Sandals are harder because I can't add the insert. I usually wear Dansko or Ecco; I'll have a look at Mephisto. I may get the sandals this year, but we'll see.

One of my goals with any business trip is to pack only a small carryon bag and a laptop bag. It makes life so much easier and airports much more bearable. I think I'll be able to pull it off with this capsule wardrobe -- I'll travel in the suit, probably, but the hotel room has iron and ironing board, and I'm not afraid of them.

Now. Can I manage with only an iPad, I wonder, or do I need to schlep a laptop?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:41:16 PM by Rural »

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
Good, it sounds like you are set to look professional and stylish! I think I was envisioning you in front of a closet looking mournfully at a faded pair of black pants and a lone pair of old loafers, but it sounds like you have a great group of clothes to pack.

I definitely appreciate used clothing - most of my children and husband's clothing comes from goodwill or friends. I've never had luck at consignment stores though. The prices are high in consignment stores around here so I no longer bother. I also usually have pretty specific basics or items of clothing mind,and those just don't seem to turn up.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: May 08, 2014, 03:36:19 AM »
Good, it sounds like you are set to look professional and stylish! I think I was envisioning you in front of a closet looking mournfully at a faded pair of black pants and a lone pair of old loafers, but it sounds like you have a great group of clothes to pack.

I definitely appreciate used clothing - most of my children and husband's clothing comes from goodwill or friends. I've never had luck at consignment stores though. The prices are high in consignment stores around here so I no longer bother. I also usually have pretty specific basics or items of clothing mind,and those just don't seem to turn up.

Thanks. You're right about the faded black pants... Except I do have two good wool ones. I went pretty casual last summer, and before that it had been years since I worked in the summer. I'm sure that was part of the dilemma. But fitting back into that purple suit (weight is anther part of the dilemma) made the difference.

I don't generally do consignment (none around here), but straight-up thrift stores.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2014, 04:14:11 AM »
As the weather gets colder I'm struggling with this challenge... seems a lot colder than last winter!  I'm not caving yet, but it's possible I'll give in and buy a big coat and/or more pants.

If it's this cold in Autumn, winter might be really cold.

I'm struggling a lot with the challenge - I have bought some stuff, but:
- I've spent far less than last year
- The stuff I have bought has (mostly) been sensible "needs" - e.g. new leather handbag to replace broken one or has been inexpensive (crumbled and bought $30 worth of clothes at Supre for the upcoming trip) or exceptions allowed under the challenge (new bra, new shoes).
Not a win, but not a total fail either. For my upcoming trip to the USA give me strength... hopefully my cabin luggage only policy will stop me buying stuff. 
I'm going to keep going and see how low I can keep my clothing spend this year.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2014, 04:22:21 AM »
My favorite boots have pretty new soles :) $30 every few years will be so much cheaper than a new $200 pair!

For those in Perth: garden city has a shop selling cashmere/silk wraps in a rainbow of colours for $25ish each.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2014, 05:58:57 AM »
I am still going strong.  No clothing purchases in 2014.

I work in academia, and my "wardrobe", such as it is, works fine.  I suppose people notice that I have worn the same 3 pairs of pants at work for the last few years, but I don't care.  Maybe if the higherups notice, they will give us a raise??  :)

One of my pairs of bike shorts is in really bad shape, and if I decide to really do a lot of biking this summer, I will have to get a new pair, but I am trying to avoid it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
Also, mustachianism should allow you to buy sandals! Unless you are in crazy debt, release your feet this summer! I would try Naot or Mephisto or Wolky for arch support. I personally love the Helen model from Mephisto. Order a bunch from Zappos to see what you like and then shop around for best prices.

I am dubious about consignment stores.

So, this post might get me drummed out of the club for encouraging consumption, but I think dressing appropriately is important for professional development and progress.

Hadilly, mustachian absolutely allows you to buy sandals, and most recognize the important of dressing appropriately for your field.  But this thread is about a gauntlet, supporting each other in not spending on clothes for one year, so here people will naturally try to suggest ways for you to avoid spending on clothes (and shoes for many), but welcome you back if you fall off the wagon.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: May 09, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »

By the way, I have had a lot of success getting stains out w/ homemade Oxyclean - FYI, I used this recipe: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2013/06/homemade-oxi-clean-for-armpit-stains/

Oh, thanks for the link! I'll give that recipe a try!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
I'm here to report that I've slipped up again.  So far this year, I've purchased a new pair of running shoes, a pair of socks, and a pair of workout capris. 

I'm ready to rededicate myself to the challenge.  I'm planning to take OldToyota's advice about pulling out everything and making new outfits.  I also need to clean out some of my drawers. 

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
My one purchase of the year so far:
a new maternity swimsuit (top only).  I'll reuse my swim bottoms from last year, as they still fit, but my top from last year is indecent with my big ol' belly.  (If only I'd dropped the pool membership I could've skipped this purchase, but it's the one activity that we do with our kids each summer....)

I think I will need to purchase a bra or two once baby is here and size changes more, but for right now, I'm making do (mostly by wearing tank tops around the house and being completely immodest!).

I had briefly thought about buying new sandals for the summer, but decided I'm not going anywhere really -- so I'll wear my 5 year old flip flops one more year.  :)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
I hear you on the clothing. Normally, I dress business casual or even wear jeans. Both are acceptable. Wearing a suit would be seen as weird, or it would be assumed you are interviewing.

At a meeting at work today with outsiders, I noticed that the outsiders were really spiffy and some of the insiders had followed suit. I ended up being underdressed, but I was not the only one. The meeting had some people from TV, etc there so it was really a crowd that likes to dress "right." I'm glad I do not have to dress like that every day.

I also should add that I am pretty sure I was the only one there cutting my own hair. LOL

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:57 AM »
My problem is I like dressing nice and hate spending the money:). I was lucky to find some great basic pieces on clearance or at a thrift store and have a variety of scarves. So every season, instead of buying new cloths I do 'window shopping' and look through sites like J Crew or Banana Republic to see what's in style now and then pull out my old clothes and try to combine them and style them in a way that's trendy. So far I was as to pull it off since everyone at my work always comments how fashionable and well put together I am. And I am just happy I am still able to do that using 7 year old pencil skirt some scarves and a thrift store find jacket or blouse :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:56:07 AM by Firefly »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
For those in here like me that own scarves, but don't really wear them much because you don't know how to tie a scarf, I google and found a great set of tutorials for 50+ scarves.  Wearing the "bisous bow tie" style today, but I have my eye on trying out more and refreshing my wardrobe this way!  I'm thinking the Cape Wrap could even turn a strapless dress work appropriate.

http://www.scarves.net/scarf-tying-index.html

Firefly, do share, what exactly IS in right now?  I lack the gene to identify in style (or to try too hard to be fashionable, though I'll make a little effort for certain events).

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
Firefly, do share, what exactly IS in right now?  I lack the gene to identify in style (or to try too hard to be fashionable, though I'll make a little effort for certain events).
I wish I knew that instinctively, I just try to copy what the fancy stores are putting on their models :). From what I gather "casual" is a big thing now. If you wear a jacket or a blouse/shirt, roll the sleeves up and casually wrap the scarf around. Bid chunky colorful jewelry seems to be in now too. Loose tops with skinny jeans are in (I can never pull this one off :)). Dresses are in. I had some dresses for years and still wear them now with rolled up sleeves and either scarves or big necklace or a skinny colorful belt. I pair my basic black dress with a colorful flats for a more casual look or heals for work. I am HUGE on scarves (must be my European upbringing :)). I find that they really make an outfit and make you look more put together. I like this lady's blog - on the side she has links to the tutorials on how to tie scarves. She seems to only wear Hermes scarves - my collection is a lot more budget friendly :) http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/

On a topic of not buying new clothes in 2014 - I am proud to report that I recently lost 15 lbs and am able to fit into some clothes I couldn't wear for years. WAY better thank buying new clothes!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Interesting, I had only identified the big chunky jewelry (of which I own none).  Jeans I can't really do at my workplace (we used to, and I wore it only rarely on Fridays, but then had a new agency head who is ex-military and...).  Will have to try the rolled up sleeve look.  I mentioned above in the thread I found a fashion website which was instrumental in teaching me to layer my outfits.  Such a simple trick that gets you such mileage.  I totally lack the gene.  I've been the person to be sold on the suit (tried on in store with the offered scarf by the salesperson) and then get home and not like it much and take well over a year to figure out why not...

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Ditto on layering!
Years and several companies ago I shared an office with one awesome lady who became my good friend and mentor. I always admired her style - it was so simple and so elegant. Her mantra was always carry yourself with confidence. No matter what you wear always act as if you are wearing the most expensive and exclusive outfit ever. Even if you are in a hospital gown, present yourself in such way that everyone in the room would think 'gee, I gotta get myself a hospital gown'. Years later I am still working on developing that confidence :).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
Thanks goodness I live in a town and work at a place where what is "in" as far as clothing (and most other things, too) doesn't matter one iota.  In fact, my town has a reputation for having unfashionably attired people.  I'm proud to be one of them.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #419 on: May 16, 2014, 11:03:24 PM »
I'm here to report that I've slipped up again.  So far this year, I've purchased a new pair of running shoes, a pair of socks, and a pair of workout capris. 

I'm ready to rededicate myself to the challenge.  I'm planning to take OldToyota's advice about pulling out everything and making new outfits.  I also need to clean out some of my drawers.

I slipped up a little too, but only $20 worth that i just 'had to': 4 camis at Forever 21 @$1.80 a piece -was in NYC for a day and i've been looking for just these ...  And 2 work blouses for $13 total from a trendy little thrift store i discovered in town (express and H&M brands) - actually feel like a winner on these buys but still, failed the gauntlet :(

Ok Now I'm back...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
According to Mint, as of May 18th it will be officially one year since I bought any "actual" clothes. I have bought socks twice, a swimsuit to replace my old one that was completely destroyed, and a pair of tights (the kind you wear under dresses/skirts, not the kind you wear on their own as pants). My stuff all looks great still as well - it's amazing what a difference it makes wearing something a few times before washing, and hanging stuff to dry!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
I found my white shell and a pair of black slacks that fit at a thrift store last week. Not entirely happy with the slacks, as they're 100% polyester, but in my world one doesn't turn down $3 dress pants that fit, because only about one trip in 20 produces pants that fit. I'll continue to keep an eye out at thrift stores, but these can be the pants for the trip if they have to.

I also bought socks and decided the loafers I have will work for the trip, though they'll need to be replaced in the fall. So, I'm all set for the trip if I need to be.

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
CommonCents - I just remembered another trend. Acid-wash jeans. If I just kept my high-wasted acid-washed jeans from big school I would be soooooo in style now :)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:26 AM »
I have a clothing challenge. I am signing up to do one of those mud-obstacle-course events. As I thought about what to wear, I was thinking of a cotton tee shirt. Then, I found out that is not a good idea because it holds water and doesn't dry fast. I think a relative gave me some sports shirts with quick-dry fabric, so I am going to see if those will do the trick.

I thought I would wear my sneakers, but I read it's better to have "barefoot" shoes so you do not turn your ankle. The advice I've read, actually, provides conflicting viewpoints. I am going to check around some more. On the one hand, I know a sneaker will hold water/mud in all its spongy parts. Ugh. On the other, I don't want to buy new shoes. I might be able to handle a few hours of discomfort in the interest of not buying new shoes.

If I can use what I have for shoes, shirt, and pants/shorts, then I am left with only needing a headband or old baseball cap and quick-dry underwear (which is on my list of allowable items I can buy this year).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
Firefly, serious?  It took me a while to get off that fad the last time, after it had passed, so I'm not ready to jump back into it!

Ok I realize this is probably the worst place to ask this question, but, this thread is actively read so I'll try it.  One of my exceptions is a bathing suit.  I wore my last one for about 12 years, before it literally fell apart this past summer.  Where can I go get a good bathing suit?  I genuinely don't care about price if the quality is good, and I need a replacement with summer coming on.  And while I like to look sexy as much as the next gal, I was horrified by one shop I walked into that had only thongs, brazillians, etc.  Looking for a good bikini that I can wear around my parents or my 8 yo nephew without turning red.  (For general style, I wear a lot of Ann Taylor to work.)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Firefly, serious?  It took me a while to get off that fad the last time, after it had passed, so I'm not ready to jump back into it!

Ok I realize this is probably the worst place to ask this question, but, this thread is actively read so I'll try it.  One of my exceptions is a bathing suit.  I wore my last one for about 12 years, before it literally fell apart this past summer.  Where can I go get a good bathing suit?  I genuinely don't care about price if the quality is good, and I need a replacement with summer coming on.  And while I like to look sexy as much as the next gal, I was horrified by one shop I walked into that had only thongs, brazillians, etc.  Looking for a good bikini that I can wear around my parents or my 8 yo nephew without turning red.  (For general style, I wear a lot of Ann Taylor to work.)

Modcloth has 50s-style bathing suits--both single and bikini. Lands End usually has good ones too.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

When I need a new suit, I order a few suits from Nordstroms (free shipping/free returns) and try them on at home.  I probably spend a bit more, but I never have to deal with searching for sizes/styles. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »
Jantzen usually has more practical styles that are actually for, you know, swimming.

Mine are a few years old (never wear them) and I think I got them both at Marshall's.  Good quality and somewhat stylish but plenty of coverage.   

You might check the Athleta catalog, too.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:38 AM »
Did a sort of modified project 333  and found I had lots of clothes, I just had to remind myself! Spent a few hours trying out different combinations.  Found a  new skirt and top that had been lost up the back and never worn, still with tags.  2 bags of things to go out. Will keep going another 3 months and reassess.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »
The Versalette came back with exactly the tweaks that stopped me from buying it before - both through Kickstarter and its second production run.  It's now slightly longer for better dress coverage and in charcoal rather than black.  I make no apologies for this purchase. 

http://www.seamly.co/products/versalette

I just bought about 6 dresses, 7 shirts, 2 shawls, and three skirts in one article of clothing, all while supporting an American made, surplus fabric using, eco conscious company that I truly believe in.   

ibleedirish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
I know I'm late to the party, but I'm in as well, even if its just for the last half of the year. This is a big step for me!!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
Welcome!

I will soon celebrate 6 months with no clothing purchases. Very exciting! It's been remarkably painless, and I LOVE to see that low, low credit card bill. =-)

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »

I've never been able to find a used swimsuit... and so have had to purchase new (probably for the best from a sanitary perspective ;) ). I've had great luck at Kohl's and Target. I also do not want to walk around in a teensy bikini, so I feel you there. I am tall and thin, so no single-pieces fit (they're too short) and the bikinis all look ridiculously tiny and inappropriate. My solution is to get two pieces: a tankini on top (had no clue what this was, learned it's a tank top that is a bathing suit) and then either bikini bottoms or a short swim skirt. Went on a family vacation last summer that involved a lot of water sports and I ended up wearing my yoga top and running skirt most of the time--same material as a swim suit but much more comfortable and durable. Plus, bonus of being able to use for exercise year round and not just at the beach!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »
Ok, before I said I wasn't going to do this. But I managed a measly 1 month of project 333, so this is, while scary, what I'd like to do next! I have some caveats for myself;
1 shoes and hats are exempt
2 I can make myself as many clothes as I like
3 I need new cardigans, a new fluffy warm jumper, and tights, but these will operate on the one in one out rule.
I will try not to use these loopholes, but I really don't wear office appropriate shoes to work and suitable new ones have failed to present themselves.

I haven't bought a single item of clothing this year. However, I am heading back to a professional work setting (from a construction office) so I have to get new shoes. My feet have also been really sore lately and I suspect my shoes might be contributing.
Feeling like i should be able to ditch my other loopholes, though, if someone can direct me to information on how to get the "pills" and fluffy bits of my knitted things so they look nice again.

Ah thanks for the information on shaving clothing. I will try some of the ideas, should prevent me needing to buy anything. I did buy a pair of work suitable shoes on the weekend, which should mean I'm set for the rest of the year.

So far the tally for the year is: 1 pair work shoes; 3 pair socks.

I realised if I wanted to actually wear one of my pairs of boots, I would need thin socks or wear them without socks (eww!) so I spent $10 to make use of them. I've also just taken a different pair of boots in to get their soles redone, which I am SUPER nervous about as I love them but really couldn't wear them anyway... Going to take in a pair of flats to see if there's any saving them when I pick up the boots. I also want a flat pair of ankle boots, which I will get ONLY if I can find an absolutely perfect pair (dark brown, suitable for work and play, looks nice with my skirts and maybe pants). So far, no luck, which in terms of the gauntlet is a good thing :)

Stugling not to buy a pair of jeans. I was sure I had a pair, though, so I'll turn the house upside down (and maybe declutter a bit!) before I buy anything. Deliberate weight changing sucks. I fit all my skirts, but it's cold, and for pants I have work pants and trackie pants, which do not quite cover the spectrum of situations where I need pants. Maybe I'm just not used to wearing work pants to outside work stuff and trackie pants to craft days? I'll try that first too...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #434 on: May 31, 2014, 02:49:40 AM »
I've officially reached the stage where I have to buy more work clothes. I now have to do washing twice a week to have warm, work apropriate outfits to wear, and that can't be an efficient way to structure my life.

So. Going shopping tomorrow. I want dresses (maybe two) that don't need to be ironed and are dark enough to wear with black tights all winter. I will also consider work pants and a dark blazer/jacket, but only if I find ones I really really love.

Eventually my entire wardrobe will consist of black, dark grey and dark blue. These seem to be the easiest colours for me.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #435 on: May 31, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I've been pining for maryjanes online lately. If I can find some, I'm going to buy some when I go back to America *again* in August (but this time to get married wootwoot!).

I must admit that wearing boots to work every day is beginning to be quite bothersome. It's far too hot and my feet turn into sweaty nasty things! Maryjanes would be nice. And feminine, which I do like sometimes.

EDIT: I like how this thread has turned into us justifying different expenses. The amount of thought that goes into each purchase shows how much we're succeeding, even when we end up buying things we said we wouldn't. Bravisimo, participants.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: June 04, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »

Eventually my entire wardrobe will consist of black, dark grey and dark blue. These seem to be the easiest colours for me.

Interesting how these themes come up.
I have mainly black separates, and add colour/pattern in tops/shirts. I have a second grouping around dark brown, which suits me better than black since I'm an "autumn", but its harder to find.

EDIT: I like how this thread has turned into us justifying different expenses. The amount of thought that goes into each purchase shows how much we're succeeding, even when we end up buying things we said we wouldn't. Bravisimo, participants.

Agree! Its all very intentional, which I guess is the idea. 

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #437 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
I'm in!  Only exception is I have a buy a bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding.  I am still returning back to my normal size after having a baby last year so this will force me to wear what I have and not buy anything new in a "transition" size.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #438 on: June 05, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
Today I tried on 10 shorts/pants and didn't buy a single one! I don't need them at all... Am drowning in clothes as it is ... but just that urge for new stuff for this summer!    So far this year I've spent only $20 for essentials ie tops for work..  This gauntlet really keeps me going !

Sent from my Lenovo S6000L-F using Tapatalk

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
I like how this thread has turned into us justifying different expenses. The amount of thought that goes into each purchase shows how much we're succeeding, even when we end up buying things we said we wouldn't. Bravisimo, participants.

For me, it's made me super thoughtful about what I buy in so many different ways. The obvious: do I really need it? Will it really be something wonderful in my life or am I just having the urge to acquire 'stuff'? But also, was it ethically produced? Does it fit my style? Will it survive being worn every week for a few years?

After posting about needing to buy some dresses that I could wear to work with black tights etc, I did indeed buy two dresses. They are both work appropriate but also nice enough that I could wear them out to dinner. They work well with black tights but can be worn bare-legged when the weather heats up. Neither one needs to be ironed. Both are absolutely lovely and I feel great when I put them on. This is exactly where I was hoping I would end up from doing this challenge - buying clothes in a mindful way that fits my lifestyle and values and honestly makes my life easier.

I've also bought more underwear this week. Underwear is the bane of my existence! Love wearing it, hate buying it.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: June 07, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Sigh. I broke down today. After spending $47 for the last 5 months, I just snapped and bought a work dress, two work shirts and a fun sweater at the Aritzia sale. I did feel like I needed the work shirts.

I should be good for the rest of the summer, although my shoes seem to be falling apart. Might have to break down and buy a pair of flats. That's it though for the summer for sure! Will deal w/ Fall when it gets here. I think a reasonable goal would be to keep clothes spending this year to $500. It's the least I can do to make up for all the $ I've spent on furnishing/fixing up my apt.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #441 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
I went browsing in my favorite store before meeting a friend for hot chocolate. I bought a dress, went back the next day and got a jumper on sale for work and a woolen coat. The coat I'm taking back because the length is just not quite right. Going shopping was overwhelming, because there was so much stuff and I had a helpful assistant. On the other hand, I only seriously considered versatile pieces that filled in holes in my wardrobe. And absolutely no itchy jumpers. Not quite what I'd intended (thought I'd end up buying jeans first!) But I feel remarkably calm after the purchases.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
I went browsing in my favorite store before meeting a friend for hot chocolate. I bought a dress, went back the next day and got a jumper on sale for work and a woolen coat. The coat I'm taking back because the length is just not quite right. Going shopping was overwhelming, because there was so much stuff and I had a helpful assistant. On the other hand, I only seriously considered versatile pieces that filled in holes in my wardrobe. And absolutely no itchy jumpers. Not quite what I'd intended (thought I'd end up buying jeans first!) But I feel remarkably calm after the purchases.

May I ask which shop it is that you love?

I'm still struggling with this challenge. I have two work skirts, both of which are now on their last legs. I own three decent work dresses and a few that I can get away with wearing if I don't have external meetings (which probably means I really shouldn't wear them at all anymore). No pants. Enough tops to cycle through them every few weeks. This is what I have after buying the two new dresses last weekend!

I really feel like I need to start looking for more work clothes now so that I'm not up shit creek as soon as one of the skirts dies.

Additionally, turns out I have no idea how to dress for winter. I am freezing cold all the time :-(

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #443 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »

May I ask which shop it is that you love?

I'm still struggling with this challenge. I have two work skirts, both of which are now on their last legs. I own three decent work dresses and a few that I can get away with wearing if I don't have external meetings (which probably means I really shouldn't wear them at all anymore). No pants. Enough tops to cycle through them every few weeks. This is what I have after buying the two new dresses last weekend!

I really feel like I need to start looking for more work clothes now so that I'm not up shit creek as soon as one of the skirts dies.

Additionally, turns out I have no idea how to dress for winter. I am freezing cold all the time :-(

I have stockings that contain wool, and wear these with skirts and knee high boots. That's for when I'm not wearing pants. Ankle boots don't seem to cut it at the moment, i need most of my legs really snug. I'm still fumbling a lot to get the right amount of coziness in my clothes. I'm normally too cold on my way to work. I recommend getting a proper pashmina.

The shop I love is dangerfield, which looks scary on the outside but has a lot of cute clothes on the inside. And in colours that don't wash me out. I don't know what their ethics are like and haven't looked them up yet (worried they won't be any good, head in sand type thinking).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: June 11, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
The shop I love is dangerfield, which looks scary on the outside but has a lot of cute clothes on the inside. And in colours that don't wash me out. I don't know what their ethics are like and haven't looked them up yet (worried they won't be any good, head in sand type thinking).

Dangerfield is great! But yeah, I haven't looked into their manufacturing practices. So no idea there.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #445 on: June 16, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
I've been gone for a while, but I thought I'd check in. We've been doing great: between the two of us, we've held off entirely except for a pair of tights and a pair of boots.. I had technically allowed underwear (if tights count), and not said anything about shoes, so not doing bad.

I don't have it broken down exactly this granular, but based on a quick glance at Mint we've spent about $85 the first six months of this year on clothing (most of that the boots), as opposed to at least $1200 for the same time period last year! Last year did include a suit and a few shoes, but the difference with being more mindful is amazing. On what we thought was already a good budget.

Thanks for the challenge!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
I just wanted to check in after my last post/confession (bought two pairs of workout pants).  I haven't bought any new items, but I've worn both pairs of capris several times/week since I bought them.  I've decided to stop beating myself up about the slip-up and focus on avoiding future purchases. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #447 on: June 18, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
Spent $33.91 on a western-type shirt today.  I'm categorizing this more as sports equipment, because I'll wear it if/when I take my horse to a western riding competition this summer.  Actually went in the store looking for some new stretchy T's to wear under my cardigans and things for work, but didn't find what I wanted and wasn't tempted to pick up anything else (OK, maybe a little).  On the up side, I was able to scratch fancy running tights off my list since I'm not planning to do any more distance running this year.  I also think I'll be able to get through the year without another pair of running shoes, thanks to the lower mileage I have planned and more running in Vibram 5-Fingers.

Total spend for the year so far is about $60, including the CostCo pack of undies.

I ended up finding and buying the stretchy T's, and a couple other summer tops last month, but I've been good since then.  Weather has been a mix of hot days calling for summer clothes, and cooler transitional days, and I haven't had any "I have nothing to wear" mornings.  This really has been a great challenge to be more mindful of purchases; I'm really wearing and enjoying everything I have bought this year, and kept the spending in check, even if it hasn't been zero.

For shame.  I did find the stretchy t-s I was seeking, but also got sucked in by the Nordstrom Rack and spent $160 on some an extra pair of the designer jeans I wear to work almost daily, a pair of shoes, and a pair of boots.  All on clearance, but still.  Budget for the year = blown.  I did think about returning the shoes and boots, but decided that the shoes will fill a gap in my work wardrobe, and at worst, the boots will fetch more on eBay than I paid, or I'll wear them and then retire them to barn duty, since they're sturdy enough and properly built for riding.  Now to stay out of the stores for the next 8 months.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
I attempted to repair two pairs of jeans yesterday.  I ironed on patched that I bought a while back at JoAnn's for $2.  I'm wearing one of the pairs right now, and it seems fine.  This is my first attempt at repairing a clothing item, so I'm feeling very proud of myself.  I even posted it in the "what you did today to save money" page. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #449 on: June 22, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »

So, yeah. Failed the gauntlet. The store wouldn't give me money back for my coat (no refunds) and nearly didn't let me exchange (I thought their exchanges policy was "inside 14 WORKING days", but turns out it was 7 days for stores and 14 days for online). I swapped the coat I'd never end up wearing (due to less-than-perfect fit) for 2 jumpers I absolutely will wear constantly, and a $50 gift card for SO to buy something for himself. Not a complete win (wanted my $ back!) but definitely better. Trying not to decide this is a complete fail, and to get back on board.