Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177414 times)

happyfeet

• Stubble
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »
Fell off the wagon a few times and spent maybe $15 at the Salvation Army - oh well.  Next month.  But I have cut down the times I stopped in significantly.  And instead have been decluttering the house, reading some, and doing some mending, and some crafty stuff.

I appreciate this challenge even though I have made a few purchases.  It's an improvement for me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
I've been doing a helluva lot of landscaping/gardening, and working with my horses.  Both things are > Shopping.  On the other hand, they result in stained, worn out clothing.  I'm more of a binge shopper though - I'll go to TJMaxx and buy several items in a shot, and then not shop again for a month or two, so I'm saving more time than money with this.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »
I'm struggling - my burn rate is really high (this week alone two pairs of stockings, a tank top and a pair of leggings bit the dust. The stockings were exempt, but still! Another tank top may be a write off too, but it's having a trip to my parents house this weekend to see if my mum can work her magic on a big stain. That being said I do appreciate the extra time, although currently it's being sucked into studying... I don't think I'll be able to make it through the year without some basic replacements (extra work tops primarily), but I will be limiting it as much as possible and trying to cut back in other areas, because I have built this challenge into my budget.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: April 02, 2014, 07:30:56 AM »
I think this challenge is working!  Credit card bill only $164 this month, which is unusually low for me.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
I'm in for 2013.  I will have to evaluate at the beginning of 2014 for 2014.  Rules are no new clothes, except:
  • A pair of work pants (I need to replace several worn out ones I just got rid of)
  • Up to 2 sweaters (I've been looking for ones I will like for 2 years.  I'm picky.  I don't anticipate using this exclusion)
  • A bathing suit (replacing the one that finally died), if I stumble across one out of season
  • Thrift store purchases.  I've only ever bought one thing once (largely due to inconvenience of getting there), so maybe this will encourage me to go there.

Title implies 2014, but I think the first post discussed starting now.  That's why some of us pledged the "now" and set dates to reconsider the rest.  I pledged through the end of 2013.  Other than my brief bobble above (I bought tights, which was in the spirit still, and a $10 shirt, which was not), I've kept on the straight and narrow.  I am now committing to no purchases through March 2014, except I'll give myself a boots+$50 [spent $16] allowance for that time period.  I'm going to try to do without breaking into it, but it'll give me some leeway if I need to replace something without letting me into Ann Taylor (unless I'm on the clearance rank with a coupon, hmm....).

I've been taking this challenge quarter by quarter, as I find it more doable to commit to that way.  Above, I've noted what I've used in my "allowance" each time, so I've been keeping pretty straight and narrow.   I hereby set the rules for spring, April - June:

1. Another pair of work pants (I got rid of a lot of old ones)
2. The bathing suit is back!  Renewing it.
3. A work jacket
4. $50 Allowance

It's a bit, but I console myself by remind me that I haven't used half of my allowance in the past.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »
I reviewed my spending since last May, and it's made me happy to see the clothing expenditures go down, down, down to zero...

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: April 02, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
I am doing well in 2014 so far - I did break down and bought two t-shirts last weekend, but those were my first non-essential clothes purchases this year - not too shabby.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: April 02, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
I bought myself a new swimsuit, since my old one was shredding and I use it several times a week.  I sucked it up and bought a decent quality one (basic black tank) rather than another $20 cheapie.  No other clothing so far this year for me.  DH has still only bought underclothes, and we've bought some kid's clothes that can be passed down to our 2nd kiddo.   

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #358 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
I kind of blew it today.  I needed to replace some worn out basics (tees, leggings, keds) which I allowed for in my rules, but I also decided to finally add a couple hoodies to my wardrobe so I can stop stealing my husbands hoodies all the time.  I did not pick out cheap hoodies either. I'm not beating myself up too much though- it wasn't an impulse purchase or anything weird/obsessive, and it was the first non-essential clothing purchase so far.  I may make it the rest of the year without buying anything else- all of my clothes are in pretty good condition now!

I was struck though by how much the experience of shopping has changed for me.  It used to be like a hobby/ relaxation activity for me.  Shopping today just felt like a chore that I had to get over with so I could go back to my happy ways of not buying things.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »
I bought myself a new swimsuit, since my old one was shredding and I use it several times a week.  I sucked it up and bought a decent quality one (basic black tank) rather than another $20 cheapie.  No other clothing so far this year for me.  DH has still only bought underclothes, and we've bought some kid's clothes that can be passed down to our 2nd kiddo.   

A quality swimsuit is a worthwhile investment. I bought one for $80, and only bought a replacement for it four years later. The suit is still in useable condition although starting to look a little worn, so it's a perfect spare. I mostly swim at the ocean/river though which is not as hard on your swimmers as the pool. I also always rinse out afterwards.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2014, 06:32:33 AM »
I'm still at $2.14 expenditure for the year, but I've lost more weight and have some fairly high-profile business travel coming up, so I'm going to need dress slacks again. I do have one pair in decent shape in my old, smaller, size, but they're still a bit tight, and I don't need tight on this trip, especially not visibly tight. Time to hit the thrift shop again if I can find the time to go...

Then I have a major week-long training trip in midsummer to look at.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #361 on: April 03, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
The weather was so cold this week. My slowly creeping boredom with my clothes will be alleviated by all the fun winter stuff I tucked away! Also starting to fill out my clothes again, so it should all fit me again soon! Glad I only bought jeans, shorts and a couple of tops over the past few years while underweight. I may need new jeans and new shorts, but shorts can wait until September and I'll see if my little sister (>2" taller than me) will return the jeans I gave her...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:39 AM »
I was struck though by how much the experience of shopping has changed for me.  It used to be like a hobby/ relaxation activity for me.  Shopping today just felt like a chore that I had to get over with so I could go back to my happy ways of not buying things.

I was never like this for clothes (I shopped rarely, but would buy a bunch at a time, at say an outlet).  But wow, I do feel this way about shopping for things for the new house!  It's totally a chore to buy our planned items - washer/dryer, chandelier, bathroom mirror, grill, outdoor furniture,  etc., rather than a delight.  I'm just crossing items off my list.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
Can I join in? Yesterday I bought some much needed underpants (old ones had holes) - $14, but that is the first clothes purchase for 2014 (and they are within the rules.

A couple of weeks ago I got out the sewing machine and fixed up a few trousers that needed repair. I have 4 more that need new elastic. I am gradually going through my entire wardrobe, removing unnecessary clothes and fixing up any that need it. Trousers and underpants were first. By the end of 2014 I will have gone through the entire wardrobe! And no purchases outside the rules (I hope).

Bras will be a problem, but I should be able to make them, and I already have all the materials I need.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: April 08, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
I am in too! I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothes last year, around $10K.. I probably didn't need any of it, just shopped to make me feel good. Well, I'm not feeling very good about it now! So far this year I have spent ZERO on clothes, and it feels great! I have some beautiful clothes in my wardrobe so I am being creative by putting new outfits together. I am determined to last the year so am very happy we have this thread! Great idea!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #365 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
I went shopping without clothes yesterday at Kroger

I got thrown out :( Not sure why!!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #366 on: April 08, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
I went shopping without clothes yesterday at Kroger

I got thrown out :( Not sure why!!

They should have paid you!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #367 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
I'm going to re-join, pretty please!

In in the three months of this year, I have bought a dress ($200), a ring ($50), and a purse ($50).

Darn. Oh well! Each day we are born again.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
I've almost caved and bought things a few times. But so far I haven't bought anything that wasn't on my exceptions list.

I think the real test will be when it gets cold... I have no pants that fit right now. I gave away my bigger jeans to my sister - they no longer fit anyway. My smaller jeans just need a few kilos of fat to be shed for them to fit just right.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #369 on: April 10, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
I went through my hand-me-down 8 year old ++ maternity clothes bag this week.  I have 12 shirts for summer.  I only have one pair of shorts, one pair of capri-length, one pair of jeans.  I'm missing two pairs of shorts (passed to someone else, didn't get them back!) and one knit skirt (oh, and I loved that skirt too --- it was perfect --- have no idea what happened to that one either).  I have two pairs of flip flops, no sandals... would kind of like some sandals that look nicer than flip flops, but I really have no plans to go anywhere much this summer.
I've pretty much convinced myself to make do with what I've got, maybe even attempt to convert a non-maternity skirt into a maternity skirt.  I'm only going to be pregnant for 3.5 more months... I really don't need to go buy anything new.  (This will also be my last one...)  I've got a tankini bathing suit that I bought a couple years ago that I *might* be able to make work (may show a little belly) for this summer, but I probably will have to buy a maternity suit.  I've already paid for a membership to the pool, may as well use it as often as possible before baby is here in late July.

I have bought NO clothing for myself this year.  Actually, last time I bought anything was late September 2013.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »
I still have not replaced my running shoes, they still seem pretty good and I have a backup pair that I mostly use for inside working out. I did give a pair to my dauughter that I didnt really use as they were too big, so saved $ there ( she wore out her running shoes for track and they had holes).

I have spent $250. I have been writing things down, and whenever I think about it I am aware of my "list"/  $80 of that purchase was for a pair of boots I have wanted for 3 years. I have probably returned 5 pairs of boots due to not fitting and or not what I was looking for. So I am sort of relieved.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2014, 08:02:59 AM »
ALSO- the boots were $200 but clearance $80. Hopefully they will last forever.

crc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ChrissieAbroad - sparsely updated travel ramblings
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
I am jumping on this bandwagon a little bit late, but promised myself at the beginning of March that I wouldn't buy anymore clothing for the remainder of 2014. My exceptions will be if necessities break or wear out such as my running shoes or laces for my winter boots. Otherwise NO PURCHASES!

GO TEAM!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
Well, I used a gift card obtained through credit card rewards to purchase 2 pairs of clearance tights at old navy.  $3.94 total.  But not real money, since I used the gift card?  Since I haven't actually spent any actual money on clothes, I maintain that I am still within my made up rules, and doing well on this challenge!  It's actually been quite easy, truth be told.  It seems nearly mid year (okay, it's only April, but it seems like summer is around the corner) and I'm doing okay.

BTW, I found myself in an old navy store because I was meeting a friend for dinner, but there was a wait for our table.  But there was a wait, so she wanted to pop over to old navy.  I didn't actually buy the tights that night.  But they were such a good deal that I had to go back.  So I redeemed the cc rewards and headed over to an ON closer to me.  They had a smaller selection, and they weren't marked down as far.  I was pretty disappointed, but I guess the lesson is "just don't go back..."  Do I like my new tights?  Yes.  But I didn't really need them.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
Well, while northern hemispherians are enjoying spring, autumn here has been 36 degrees Celsius one day and 24 degrees the next. Hot days are all about the least amount of clothing that keeps me suitable for public viewing, so the cold days have me all excited about varying outfits with tights and scarves. Getting my extra clothes down from the top shelf in the wardrobe over easter!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »
Well, while northern hemispherians are enjoying spring, autumn here has been 36 degrees Celsius one day and 24 degrees the next. Hot days are all about the least amount of clothing that keeps me suitable for public viewing, so the cold days have me all excited about varying outfits with tights and scarves. Getting my extra clothes down from the top shelf in the wardrobe over easter!

What spring?  Snowed here the night before last.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »

What spring?  Snowed here the night before last.

seriously, low of 29 a couple nights ago in PA...

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #377 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
I'm calling this a success so far. One pair of socks (necessary for work) and then one dress on sale for $30. So a total of $47 spent in almost 4 months.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #378 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
Spent $33.91 on a western-type shirt today.  I'm categorizing this more as sports equipment, because I'll wear it if/when I take my horse to a western riding competition this summer.  Actually went in the store looking for some new stretchy T's to wear under my cardigans and things for work, but didn't find what I wanted and wasn't tempted to pick up anything else (OK, maybe a little).  On the up side, I was able to scratch fancy running tights off my list since I'm not planning to do any more distance running this year.  I also think I'll be able to get through the year without another pair of running shoes, thanks to the lower mileage I have planned and more running in Vibram 5-Fingers.

Total spend for the year so far is about $60, including the CostCo pack of undies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #379 on: April 22, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
Still at $2.14 for the year (two pairs of pants). I got through my conferences with clothes I already had. I really do need new black slacks, though. The lining on my three-season wool pair is disintegrating, and the pants are too thin to go without.

It's also looking like my weeklong networking/ leadership training thing in Boston is going to happen this summer. For that I'm sure I need to step it up a bit. I'll have to hit the thrift stores for that, too.

Also, my husband has ink-stained/ poked holes in several of the dress shirts he wears to work.

So it looks like I'll be buying some clothes this spring or summer[size=78%], but I'll get it all at thrift stores.[/size]

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
Do you sew at all?  You could actually do this without a sewing machine. Carefully cut the lining out of the pants and use it as a pattern for new lining.  That way you have control over the fabric quality, and you get to keep wearing a pair of pants you like.

The lining on my three-season wool pair is disintegrating, and the pants are too thin to go without.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »
Actually, I do sew. I hadn't thought of it, but I am more than capable of making a lining, and I do have the machine, two actually. Duh.

My trouble has been a screaming lack of time (I'm lucky to get to the grocery store on weekends, and I work 10 hours many days, weekends included -- with the obvious breaks for posting here!)

But. The spring semester is ending, and while I do work summers, the pace is much, much easier, especially than the end of semester pace. I will have time in just a couple more weeks, and the big trip where I really need the clothes is in July. These pants are worth the work and extra cost (fabric is more than thrift store slacks). Thanks for pointing it out.

Meanwhile I stopped by my favorite place on my way in for a meeting yesterday (get more done working at home otherwise). Two shirts for me and one for him, so add another $3.21 for an annual total of 5.35. The price is what makes it my favorite place, that and the charity it funds. $1 each for Talbots and Worthington (mine) and Dockers (his).

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »
Gave new life to some old bras by sewing non-stretch ribbon into the band.  It was a quick fix and they fit tight around now.  I pretty much made the whole band non stretch- I think next time I will leave a little so there's some give.  They are almost too static the way I did it.  Maybe I should undo some of it, actually...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
Spent $33.91 on a western-type shirt today.  I'm categorizing this more as sports equipment, because I'll wear it if/when I take my horse to a western riding competition this summer.  Actually went in the store looking for some new stretchy T's to wear under my cardigans and things for work, but didn't find what I wanted and wasn't tempted to pick up anything else (OK, maybe a little).  On the up side, I was able to scratch fancy running tights off my list since I'm not planning to do any more distance running this year.  I also think I'll be able to get through the year without another pair of running shoes, thanks to the lower mileage I have planned and more running in Vibram 5-Fingers.

Total spend for the year so far is about $60, including the CostCo pack of undies.

For shame.  I did find the stretchy t-s I was seeking, but also got sucked in by the Nordstrom Rack and spent $160 on some an extra pair of the designer jeans I wear to work almost daily, a pair of shoes, and a pair of boots.  All on clearance, but still.  Budget for the year = blown.  I did think about returning the shoes and boots, but decided that the shoes will fill a gap in my work wardrobe, and at worst, the boots will fetch more on eBay than I paid, or I'll wear them and then retire them to barn duty, since they're sturdy enough and properly built for riding.  Now to stay out of the stores for the next 8 months.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Late to the party,but I'm in on this challenge as well.

I have way too many clothes and shoes.  Looking in my closet, I should really not have to buy anything until 2020, at least :-/

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #385 on: May 03, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
Ok, before I said I wasn't going to do this. But I managed a measly 1 month of project 333, so this is, while scary, what I'd like to do next! I have some caveats for myself;
1 shoes and hats are exempt
2 I can make myself as many clothes as I like
3 I need new cardigans, a new fluffy warm jumper, and tights, but these will operate on the one in one out rule.
I will try not to use these loopholes, but I really don't wear office appropriate shoes to work and suitable new ones have failed to present themselves.

I haven't bought a single item of clothing this year. However, I am heading back to a professional work setting (from a construction office) so I have to get new shoes. My feet have also been really sore lately and I suspect my shoes might be contributing.
Feeling like i should be able to ditch my other loopholes, though, if someone can direct me to information on how to get the "pills" and fluffy bits of my knitted things so they look nice again.

Ah thanks for the information on shaving clothing. I will try some of the ideas, should prevent me needing to buy anything. I did buy a pair of work suitable shoes on the weekend, which should mean I'm set for the rest of the year.

So far the tally for the year is: 1 pair work shoes; 3 pair socks.

I realised if I wanted to actually wear one of my pairs of boots, I would need thin socks or wear them without socks (eww!) so I spent $10 to make use of them. I've also just taken a different pair of boots in to get their soles redone, which I am SUPER nervous about as I love them but really couldn't wear them anyway... Going to take in a pair of flats to see if there's any saving them when I pick up the boots. I also want a flat pair of ankle boots, which I will get ONLY if I can find an absolutely perfect pair (dark brown, suitable for work and play, looks nice with my skirts and maybe pants). So far, no luck, which in terms of the gauntlet is a good thing :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »
OK, so I'm still going well on the no purchasing. But my new job is a bit challenging: people dress up here a lot more. Apart from the new suit last year, a lot of my clothes are looking worn. Undies wearing out. Also change of season so I have to dig out some warmer clothes.
I'm weakening. I'm going to do a deliberate project 333 sort out and see if I can go longer. I've never done one because I think I do it automatically as I tend to have a few outfits I wear over and over..
Stand by to persuade me not to buy anything.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »
Still at nothing except a swimsuit.  This is gonna be easier than I thought!  I was expecting to need to buy a formal dress, but it turned out I was scheduled to work that night, so I made money instead of buying an overpriced dress. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #388 on: May 04, 2014, 04:04:52 AM »
As the weather gets colder I'm struggling with this challenge... seems a lot colder than last winter!  I'm not caving yet, but it's possible I'll give in and buy a big coat and/or more pants.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #389 on: May 04, 2014, 05:37:56 AM »
As the weather gets colder I'm struggling with this challenge... seems a lot colder than last winter!  I'm not caving yet, but it's possible I'll give in and buy a big coat and/or more pants.

Yeah, I have plenty of work pants but I need stockings. Happy to report I've also gone up a size in jeans! Yay! I have another whole size to go, so I guess I'll just suck it up and go without until I finish gaining weight.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »

Have a look in local op shops or keep an eye out on Freecycle just in case.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
OK, so I'm still going well on the no purchasing. But my new job is a bit challenging: people dress up here a lot more. Apart from the new suit last year, a lot of my clothes are looking worn. Undies wearing out. Also change of season so I have to dig out some warmer clothes.
I'm weakening. I'm going to do a deliberate project 333 sort out and see if I can go longer. I've never done one because I think I do it automatically as I tend to have a few outfits I wear over and over..
Stand by to persuade me not to buy anything.

Okay. If you want help, take all of the clothes out that are appropriate for the season and lay them around a room. Make outfits. Find holes you need to fill in terms of wardrobe. Could you swap with neighbors? Do you have scarves you've not worn in ages? Do you have any clothing around that you bought and have never or rarely worn? If you do this, you might find you can go longer.

Do not feel bad about undies. For my challenge, those do not count. For the most part, you get to make up your own rules here.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #392 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
So far: 4 camis (at Forever21 $1.80 apiece, I was in NYC for the day, couldn't pass up).  I intend to keep it at this.

I'm also struggling with weather change, spring coming --- I'll try repurposing, sewing, digging up items from old old piles etc.

Also struggling with some weight gain, I'm up 1-2 sizes, it sux big time.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: May 05, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
Have bought myself three shirts at thrift stores in the last couple of weeks. Actually always my favorite store, so total is $3.21 recently plus $2.14 early in the year for khakis. Grand total $5.35.

However. The business trip in July. It's in a much fancier city than where I'm at, with much fancier people than I usually work with. I'm afraid I'm going to need to step my game up a bit. Also, it being July, I don't think the three season wool slacks are going to do the trick. I won't be nearly as effective at networking if I smell bad or expire from heat.

So. I really must have one pair of black slacks. I probably need another pair of pants, too, but I have some brown ones that may do -- they're a bit picked. I think I'm ordering a pashmina from eBay, as well. The one I have is a weird pattern, has a hole in it, and I noticed today it smells funny. Sigh. I can fix the smells funny part, and I might be able to fix the hole as well, but I don't know about the weird pattern. I want to buy one, I can get one for under $10. Doesn't seem so terrible, really.

Oh, and then there are shoes. I generally buy one pair of loafers a year, and summer's when I buy them. I'd be happy if I had sandals, too, since I haven't found a pair in a couple of years.

On the bright side, I found a shell that will pack well and that will do nicely packed up in one of our storage boxes, so that something I don't need to buy.

I think I need help. Talk me down, somebody, or maybe tell me it's okay, but one or the other, please!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Stay strong!

Today, I benefitted from my own advice. Although I was not placing items around a room to find new outfits, I removed everything from my dresser to get the winter clothes out and the summer clothes in and to reorganize a bit. I "found" a purple shirt and it feels like it's new now.

If you clean out your dresser or closet, you might find that you do not need to buy new pants, shoes, sandals, and etc. Couldn't you wear a jacket instead of a pashmina?

Good luck!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:29 AM »
So that semi-formal dress?  The tailor practically ruined it (arm pits needed some alterations I'm not quite up to snuff on, and now it looks like I'm wearing a 10 year old's dress) so I'm just going to have to be under-dressed at the wedding.  Ugh.  Money and hope wasted.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »
Other than that one slip (which I confessed to here), I haven't bought myself any clothes this year.  Go me!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: May 07, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »
The business trip in July. It's in a much fancier city than where I'm at, with much fancier people than I usually work with. I'm afraid I'm going to need to step my game up a bit.

It sounds as though you are doubting yourself & are afraid of what other people will think. I totally get it. But you can't let a fear of other people's opinions stop you!

I hear you on that, and I'm trying to evaluate honestly. I really am thinking though, that it's not just doubting myself. I'm certain that most of what I have is too worn to be professional. Some of that is just a function of heavy use, but some of that as a result of weight gain that's keeping me out of some of my older clothes. It's not a lot of weight gain, but I don't think it's going to be gone by July, and just a little bit too snug is not a professional look.

This trip will let me do networking on a national level that I think is going to be instrumental in leading toward the sort of consulting I want to do in a few years when I "retire." I don't know. I'm not sure I'm going to be talked down here. I am going to go back through my wardrobe again to be sure, but I'm not a big clothes buyer, and there's not anything in there that's been "lost."

Be strong! Are there ways around the problem without resorting to breaking the challenge? It seems as though it started off as just pants, but quickly went down a vortex that had you talking about buying entire new wardrobes .... its a slippery slope, isn't it?

I really hear you on this. There do seem to be more things that I need than I had anticipated. The shoe purchase is a given, becauseI've worn  these loafers nearly every day for the last year, and they're just about worn out. It just happens. The sandals are just a want, not a need. And I'll probably skip them again this year. I just get tired of my feet being hot. But, my feet have been hot for the last two summers, and it hasn't killed me.  If I could wear cheap sandals without significant pain, I probably would've broken down and bought some both years. But I need hard-core arch supports (hence the loafers), so the sandals aren't cheap. Usually, I can't find any used ones, either.

i wonder if there is a way to look professional/seasonally appropriate  & be comfortable without buying anything new. It will be July, and hot. Wool slacks are out. What about a dress or skirt? This is what I usually wear to work - can be dressed up or down and can also be worn with bare legs or leggings depending on the weather.

I don't wear skirts to work generally, so I don't already have any. I do have a dress that has gone to work sometimes, but it's winter weight. Come to think of it, though, one suit has a skirt, too tight at my last check, but I've been making progress on the extra weight, so I'll check it again.

Can you borrow any items from a friend for the business trip?

Here's a thought. One of my colleagues dresses well enough, but she's about a size one, and I'm a twelve trying to get back into my tens... I can't think of anyone else who has the clothes (other than two male colleagues).

I would also suggest trying the technique OldToyota mentioned above, of laying out your clothes and trying to come up with 'new' outfits. Sometimes we just have to make what we already have feel FRESH again :)

I'm definitely going to try this. Really, though, I'm not going for fresh; I'm not really worried about that. However, I do need to achieve "respectable" and I'm just not sure that my wardrobe is there. Hitting the closet sounds like a lot more fun than the assessments I'm supposed to be writing today, so I think I'll take an hour and do that before I get going for the day. I'll report back!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: May 07, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
So that semi-formal dress?  The tailor practically ruined it (arm pits needed some alterations I'm not quite up to snuff on, and now it looks like I'm wearing a 10 year old's dress) so I'm just going to have to be under-dressed at the wedding.  Ugh.  Money and hope wasted.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. No more of that tailor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: May 07, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
Stay strong!

Today, I benefitted from my own advice. Although I was not placing items around a room to find new outfits, I removed everything from my dresser to get the winter clothes out and the summer clothes in and to reorganize a bit. I "found" a purple shirt and it feels like it's new now.

If you clean out your dresser or closet, you might find that you do not need to buy new pants, shoes, sandals, and etc. Couldn't you wear a jacket instead of a pashmina?

Good luck!

I did have something like this in unpacking the one box of shirts I had in storage; T-shirts all except for one shell, so that's been a nice find.

On the dresser and closet, though, I think I must have fewer clothes than most people imagine. I won't find any pants or sandals; the pants are all in there, grouped in plain sight, and there aren't any sandals; I don't own any since the dog chewed up one of a pair when she was a puppy (come to think of it, she's five now).

On the jacket issue, yes, there's actually a silk sweater that I could wear instead of a pashmina, and I may. It's been my go-to business travel sweater for a number of years, but I pulled a section of it sometime recently, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to get the weave back right again. If I can, it packs well and will do nicely. If not, unfortunately, my black jackets are too tight in the arms... Am I wrong to be planning on black for a neutral, throw-over-everything color? I'm thinking of this as a "meeting room is too chilly" sort of item rather than a "need to wear a jacket or pashmina or sweater every day" sort of item.