Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177428 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »
I've no joined the challenge because I've been hoping my diet would be effective enough I'd need to buy smaller pants, and today, I got two pairs for work at my favorite thrift store with waists that aren't huge on me! Total cost with tax: $2.14. That's why it's my favorite thrift store!

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »
I think that a 26 ribcage really isn't that unusual, but bra makers just don't think there is a market for it.  I'm pretty short and petite, but I'm not like super super skinny or anything!   

I'll bet you're right! 

I'm a 30AA, and I think that's also a way under-served market.  Funny thing is, I once visited several large department stores when I was in Bangkok (since Asian women are notoriously small-breasted) but could *not* find a passable bra to save my life.  There were lots of molded-cup, push-up nonsense -- worse than in the US.   

Paulie

« Reply #302 on: March 05, 2014, 01:41:41 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  It's not that we don't do other things like talking, playing games or watching movies. But when we spend the whole day together we always end up shopping. And I guess it has become a habit. But I'll suggest to do something else next time.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #303 on: March 05, 2014, 03:51:52 AM »
Still going strong, feelsgoodman.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:37 AM »
Just an idea. Do you have a Chinatown in your city? Asian women tend to be smaller than European women, and in my area, I've seen bras for sale on *tiny* bands. I think the lingerie is mostly Chinese imports, and I doubt they have much online sales capacity in English, given the relative lack of demand.
I think that a 26 ribcage really isn't that unusual, but bra makers just don't think there is a market for it.  I'm pretty short and petite, but I'm not like super super skinny or anything!   

I'll bet you're right! 

I'm a 30AA, and I think that's also a way under-served market.  Funny thing is, I once visited several large department stores when I was in Bangkok (since Asian women are notoriously small-breasted) but could *not* find a passable bra to save my life.  There were lots of molded-cup, push-up nonsense -- worse than in the US.   

ha ha!  I'm Chinese.  I've been to Asia a handful of times in my life, and once I went shopping while I was there.  Everything is smaller.  Here, I wear a 00 or an xxs.  There, I tried on a medium, and then had to ask for a large!  I'm 4'11" 95 pounds.  But quality is harder to find.  And if you couldn't find a 30AA, I doubt I'd find a bigger cup.  On a 30 band I wear a C cup.  There is one place I have seen but haven't tried, "the little bra company."  They might work, but I think I remember finding fault with their sizing system for some reason... I'll have to check them out again.

Also, put on the new back stocked bra this morning... what a difference.  The old ones are shot.  Time to move on.  These should get me through August, at which point it will be my birthday and if anyone wants to give me a gift it can be a bra. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2014, 08:34:22 AM »
Here's my tally so far this year:

January: long underwear and gloves (plus boots purchased with return credits from dresses returned in December, which I am saying does not count since there was no extra money spent)

February: ankle boots

Overall, I've been spending much less on wardrobe, but it does seem that I've been merely diverting some of the clothes spending into accessories. 

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »
I can't believe how easy it's been for me to stick to this challenge.  I've barely even thought about buying clothes this year.  I've only recently been tempted because I've been more active and I don't have many appropriately active clothes.  For now I'm just living with it and hoping the impulse passes.  If it doesn't, and I'm still similarly active in 2015 I'll consider altering my wardrobe to reflect that.  Going to stay strong on this.

I did buy a couple new bras and panties, but that was within my allowed purchases.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
I can't believe how easy it's been for me to stick to this challenge.  I've barely even thought about buying clothes this year.  I've only recently been tempted because I've been more active and I don't have many appropriately active clothes.  For now I'm just living with it and hoping the impulse passes.  If it doesn't, and I'm still similarly active in 2015 I'll consider altering my wardrobe to reflect that.  Going to stay strong on this.

I did buy a couple new bras and panties, but that was within my allowed purchases.
Me too!  I did buy a new pair of running shoes (which I allowed myself), but I shopped around and used gift cards and coupon codes (no money out of pocket).  I also need to buy new bras, but I feel like the urge to shop has left.  Even though bras are on the allowed list, I don't want to bother shopping for them.  This is good for my wallet, but the bra situation is dire. 

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
On the topic of worn-out bras or difficult bra sizes:

I just googled "bra alterations" and there is a result for a site with a page called "bra band tightening tutorial using elastic" -- perhaps it can help someone save money and get better support?

There is also a post called "rixie clip bra band tightener" -- a little product that may help turn a 32 band into a 28 band.  Look it up if this sounds it might cure some of your woes!

Can't vouch for either of these options personally, but perhaps they are worth a try!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:55 AM »
On the topic of worn-out bras or difficult bra sizes:

I just googled "bra alterations" and there is a result for a site with a page called "bra band tightening tutorial using elastic" -- perhaps it can help someone save money and get better support?

There is also a post called "rixie clip bra band tightener" -- a little product that may help turn a 32 band into a 28 band.  Look it up if this sounds it might cure some of your woes!

Can't vouch for either of these options personally, but perhaps they are worth a try!

Thanks, I'll have to give these a try!  If I could turn a 28 or 30 band into a 26 that would be great.  Funny, I was just looking at one of my old bras this morning and wondering if I could just move the hooks...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:37:17 AM by catccc »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
re bra alterations: while they do make the band tighter, moving the hooks changes where the shoulder straps fall and the distribution of weight.  Depending on your shoulders and cup distances it could be useful, but I don't think it is a substitute for a properly made bra in the right size!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:11 AM »
In my neighborhood, there's a place that does custom bras. Do you want me to get their info for you? They may have other locations (looks like a chain), or if you're ever in NYC you can schlep out to Flushing Chinatown.
Sure, PM the info!  I'm not often in NYC, but I'm near Philly so it isn't out of the question.

re bra alterations: while they do make the band tighter, moving the hooks changes where the shoulder straps fall and the distribution of weight.  Depending on your shoulders and cup distances it could be useful, but I don't think it is a substitute for a properly made bra in the right size!

Yes, when you stretch a bra too much, the shape of the cups can get a little distorted, too.  It is hard to find a 26 band, though.  But there were also some good tutorials on sewing non-stretch material into a parts of a bra that used to fit, to get it back to it's "new" fit.  That could be useful.  Most 28 bands measure 26 unstretched and stretch to 28, so there could be ways of getting things to fit better.  I did end up buying the rixie clip.  It was $10 for 3 of them (and I have 2 overstretched bras), so we'll see how that works.  Either way, I think I can get away with not buying another bra for the rest of the year, between the rixie clip and the other ideas that have been shared.  Which is great, because I almost feel like using something for 6 months is nearly disposable.  I like things to last longer than that!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
In my neighborhood, there's a place that does custom bras. Do you want me to get their info for you? They may have other locations (looks like a chain), or if you're ever in NYC you can schlep out to Flushing Chinatown.

Do you know what they cost?  The only one's I have heard of are several hundred dollars minimum . . . . not sure if it's worth that much to me.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »

Do you know what they cost?  The only one's I have heard of are several hundred dollars minimum . . . . not sure if it's worth that much to me.

My sister actually got some custom made bras in NYC a few years ago.  I think they were about $100 each.  That's waaay too much for me!  But it's not like she's a spendthrift.  She just picks and chooses what she values and uses her resources accordingly.  She wears $100 bras but drives a $600 (six-hundred) car.  I buy $40 bras but buy $20 a pound cheese...

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »

My sister actually got some custom made bras in NYC a few years ago.  I think they were about $100 each.  That's waaay too much for me!  But it's not like she's a spendthrift.  She just picks and chooses what she values and uses her resources accordingly.  She wears $100 bras but drives a $600 (six-hundred) car.  I buy $40 bras but buy $20 a pound cheese...

The cheapest bras I can find are $50 (I can get a little lower on eBay, but that's about as low as it gets for 28G-H range).  Might be worth looking into: double the cost, but actually having a bra that fits . . . . maybe next year when my current batch wear out.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
Ok I read through the above. I get that lots of people did wimpify and squishify the gauntlet to give themselves exceptions to buy clothing items.  Not judging y'all - I had received lots of clothes last year so I didn't need to.

BUT:

Who has survived the actual original gauntlet so far? As in *No Clothes* Shopping in 2014?

-Me one!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
So far this year, I have purchased NO clothes!  So, me two!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Me!

I almost bought a pair of tights last weekend, but held off.  Having just moved helped though, no time to shop.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
:) I was this close to buy a pair of tights for myself yesterday too! I got a sears $5 reward online - I resisted the urge, instead decided to buy a pair for my daughter but the coupon didn't work anyways so no clothes for kids so far either.

BTW, 94 - love your journal! i can't believe your physical stamina and mental fortitude in your fitness, career, diet etc.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
Hey thanks, babybug!  I just wrote another post--mostly about finances--would love to get your reaction!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:59 PM »
Ugh.  The weather is starting to change, and for the first time I found myself pawing through my wardrobe and thinking I'd like to go buy some new stuff.  Luckily it's supposed to get colder again next week, so my sweater collection will be back to relevance.  Need to preemptively take some time to go through everything and figure out what works for spring before I really need it.

Paulie

« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2014, 03:21:59 AM »
Ok I read through the above. I get that lots of people did wimpify and squishify the gauntlet to give themselves exceptions to buy clothing items.  Not judging y'all - I had received lots of clothes last year so I didn't need to.

BUT:

Who has survived the actual original gauntlet so far? As in *No Clothes* Shopping in 2014?

-Me one!

I also want to look more carefully on what I'll be buying this year! Last year I spent about 600 usd on it I think, so that's not too bad, but this year my budget will be less. My exceptions are sporting shoes, one pair of jeans (because I just lost my favorite, it was really worn out), one sporting bra. I have enough undies and socks to last for a year. Besides these things, I'll 'give' myself 150 usd spending money for the whole year.

Funny that you mentioned it Babybug, I gave myself a lot of exceptions which I was thinking about the other day. I thought I couldn't persevere otherwise. The above were all my exceptions, but looking at them again, I may have given myself too much space. I won't buy any of them. I may need to buy a bikini though since I've been postponing buying one for two years now (I hate trying them on), but we'll see about that. I also won't give myself 'spending money' this year.

So far, I'm still surviving in the actual gauntlet!

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:27 AM »
Had a wonderful blow out in my favorite pair of jeans, so had to re-up at JCP for 40 bucks. Hope these make it through the year!

I thought about repairing them but I have 0 sewing skills...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

BUT:

-Me one!

Definitely not me!  I bought a pair of running shoes.  With my running habit, I wouldn't be able to ever do a gauntlet unless I gave up running (which is NOT an option). 

Those of you that have been able to not buy anything?  How do you do it?  Don't you have some stuff that you wear out heavily?  Or am I the only one that wears out running shoes every 3-4 months?

Paulie

« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »

BUT:

-Me one!

Definitely not me!  I bought a pair of running shoes.  With my running habit, I wouldn't be able to ever do a gauntlet unless I gave up running (which is NOT an option). 

Those of you that have been able to not buy anything?  How do you do it?  Don't you have some stuff that you wear out heavily?  Or am I the only one that wears out running shoes every 3-4 months?

Wow, and they say running is for free! I participate in a team sport twice a weak and my sport shoes last for about 3/4 years. (I've got one pair for indoors and one for outdoors)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

I have just managed not to replace things that have worn out.  I've been meaning to buy a new pair of boots for a long while.  My pair I've been wearing I bought in 2002.  This winter, the zipper even broke.  But, I just didn't replace it.  (For the record, this is just an example as I actually do not consider shoes as clothing.  To me it's a separate category of footwear.  That said, I haven't bought any this year.)  I have a bunch work pants I ought to replace to replace, but have just held on.  I have nothing that MUST be replaced.  I just have things I really WANT to replace.  This has also opened my eyes up to how much of my wardrobe I actually wear and how I can get more creative and wear a greater percentage of it (even if by donating the part I'm not wearing).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »

BUT:

-Me one!

Wow, and they say running is for free! I participate in a team sport twice a weak and my sport shoes last for about 3/4 years. (I've got one pair for indoors and one for outdoors)
I have to replace my running shoes every 500 miles or so.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »

BUT:

-Me one!

Me three!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Ok, before I said I wasn't going to do this. But I managed a measly 1 month of project 333, so this is, while scary, what I'd like to do next! I have some caveats for myself;
1 shoes and hats are exempt
2 I can make myself as many clothes as I like
3 I need new cardigans, a new fluffy warm jumper, and tights, but these will operate on the one in one out rule.
I will try not to use these loopholes, but I really don't wear office appropriate shoes to work and suitable new ones have failed to present themselves.

I haven't bought a single item of clothing this year. However, I am heading back to a professional work setting (from a construction office) so I have to get new shoes. My feet have also been really sore lately and I suspect my shoes might be contributing.
Feeling like i should be able to ditch my other loopholes, though, if someone can direct me to information on how to get the "pills" and fluffy bits of my knitted things so they look nice again.

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

Feeling like i should be able to ditch my other loopholes, though, if someone can direct me to information on how to get the "pills" and fluffy bits of my knitted things so they look nice again.

Shave them. I use a cheap disposable razor (like one blade, not any fancy 3 blade stuff I would use on my legs). Hold a few square inches very flat, and very lightly shave the pills off. Maybe practice in an inconspicuous area, or on a sweater you are throwing out anyway if you are nervous, but it's really easy! This video shows how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0m3g95_LhY. It can thin out or damage really delicate stuff if you do it too often (or if you try to shave over a wrinkle), but it should extend their life by a few months.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
I've not taken up the gauntlet, but I haven't bought anything new this year either. 

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »

I have one of these things, and it keeps my knitwear looking like new.

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Battery-Operated-Fabric-Shaver/dp/B0034BV6KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394997820&sr=8-1&keywords=pill+shaver

X2.  I have one almost like that.  It's great.  And it's harder to damage your knits using one of those than using a razor (at least in my experience).

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
I haven't bought anything for myself this year.
Adding to my difficulty is that I'm rapidly changing shape.  I'm still going to try not to buy any clothing -- I'll just have a sparse wardrobe during the summer months when I'm really big.  My one purchase may be a maternity swimsuit, as I don't own one and I'd prefer to spare the general public from the spectacle of me in my non-maternity bikini.  Before I buy, however, I plan to put out the call to all of my friends and see if I can borrow a bathing suit to wear for those six-eight weeks.  I'd love to get a few cute maternity t-shirts, but I am still going to try to make do with what I already own if I can.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #333 on: March 16, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
Ok, before I said I wasn't going to do this. But I managed a measly 1 month of project 333, so this is, while scary, what I'd like to do next! I have some caveats for myself;
1 shoes and hats are exempt
2 I can make myself as many clothes as I like
3 I need new cardigans, a new fluffy warm jumper, and tights, but these will operate on the one in one out rule.
I will try not to use these loopholes, but I really don't wear office appropriate shoes to work and suitable new ones have failed to present themselves.

I haven't bought a single item of clothing this year. However, I am heading back to a professional work setting (from a construction office) so I have to get new shoes. My feet have also been really sore lately and I suspect my shoes might be contributing.

Ah thanks for the information on shaving clothing. I will try some of the ideas, should prevent me needing to buy anything. I did buy a pair of work suitable shoes on the weekend, which should mean I'm set for the rest of the year.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »
Well I'm still going OK. I started at the beginning of 2013. Bought 2 new bras (predicted), and a suit/blouse for an interview. Otherwise nothing.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:56 AM »
I may need some support through this one, but sign me up!

Exceptions: new bra or two depending on wear, cobbler for shoes if necessary.  I'm low on shirts but have enough dresses if I get a pair of tights or two - we'll see how it goes before making that purchase. 

I have a few purchases left in 2013 - sneakers, gloves for winter biking, bra. 

I've had almost two years to build a wardrobe and enough to get by at the very least.  Time to stop the building phase and enter the replacement phase!

Excluding the semi-formal dress described earlier in the thread, I have not bought anything.  I did take my beloved cowboy boots to the cobbler and am  going to take three items that I love but don't quite fit to the tailor to breathe some life into them.   

My 2013 purchases have been tremendously useful - walking shoes (we'll do 5 miles on a pretty day), got gloves as a gift, and a bra to get me through this year.  I can definitely get by and the year hiatus has confirmed or illuminated some serious gaps which I will carefully plan for 2015 (fairly minimalist wardrobe ~4-6 shirts, 4 skirts, 8 dresses, 3 jeans).  This gauntlet has definitely shown me that I can consider myself in the replacement phase though, which was the jolt I needed!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
Still going strong here. I find not buying clothing remarkably easy. However, we struggle to keep the grocery bill down to what I consider a normal amount.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Still going strong here. I find not buying clothing remarkably easy. However, we struggle to keep the grocery bill down to what I consider a normal amount.

Me too, both counts.  I just don't visit any stores (online or in person) that sell clothes.  However, I do have to visit the grocery store on a regular basis.  I've had to make a very conscious effort to keep our budget in line and so far 2014 has been a success -- our grocery budget has been under last year!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:46 AM »
Well...I am here to confess that I f'ed it up.  It was so easy not to buy anything until I went shopping with a friend who was buying lots of things.  I suppose the alcoholic should stay out of the bar, huh?  But this was a houseguest from Europe who wanted to shop for some very specific things and I didn't feel like I could just drop her off and pick her up later.  Not very hospitable.  Much more hospitable to buy alongside her, don't you think?

I bought three tops, all on sale, all lovely, all that can cross-over between work and social life, none needed.  And I came home and immediately cut the tags off.  Dang.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »
Well...I am here to confess that I f'ed it up.  It was so easy not to buy anything until I went shopping with a friend who was buying lots of things.  I suppose the alcoholic should stay out of the bar, huh?  But this was a houseguest from Europe who wanted to shop for some very specific things and I didn't feel like I could just drop her off and pick her up later.  Not very hospitable.  Much more hospitable to buy alongside her, don't you think?

I bought three tops, all on sale, all lovely, all that can cross-over between work and social life, none needed.  And I came home and immediately cut the tags off.  Dang.

You probably could still take them back if you have the tags and haven't worn them.  They can reattach the tags.  It's not too late!  Actually, even if the tags are off, if you haven't worn them and still have the receipt, it's probably not too late.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2014, 06:23:26 AM »

Thanks, I'll have to give these a try!  If I could turn a 28 or 30 band into a 26 that would be great.  Funny, I was just looking at one of my old bras this morning and wondering if I could just move the hooks...

Well, they didn't work to my liking, just because the seemed to slip a bit.  It was worth the try, though, and I'll resell them on ebay...  I think I'll try limiting the stretch by sewing some non-stretchy ribbon in.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
Title implies 2014, but I think the first post discussed starting now.  That's why some of us pledged the "now" and set dates to reconsider the rest.  I pledged through the end of 2013.  Other than my brief bobble above (I bought tights, which was in the spirit still, and a $10 shirt, which was not), I've kept on the straight and narrow.  I am now committing to no purchases through March 2014, except I'll give myself a boots+$50 allowance for that time period.  I'm going to try to do without breaking into it, but it'll give me some leeway if I need to replace something without letting me into Ann Taylor (unless I'm on the clearance rank with a coupon, hmm....).

I bought slippers.

By some definitions, I might now be off the original gauntlet.  I still don't interpret "clothes" as including shoes (maybe because I'm not a shoe person?  My wedding shoes were less than $20...), so by that, I'm still in the original guantlet.

Regardless it looks like I gave myself a $50 allowance for the quarter, so I'm still within my personal guantlet for the quarter, even if you interpret footwear as clothing.

The issue for me is that sometimes, it's pennywise and pound foolish to stick to it.  We moved since starting the gauntlet.  Now we pay for heat and damn, it's expensive in Massachusetts!  I wear sweaters, I sit with blankets so we can keep the temperature down, but the floors are cold, particularly the tile in the kitchen which was once a sunroom and we think was not at all insulated well when converted over.  Although the wood floors elsewhere aren't warm.

Initially, I pulled out my slippers from I kid you not, 20+ years ago.  Thin and worn, they worked ok...until the cat destroyed them unexpectedly.  So...I can save a penny by NOT buying the slippers and either 1) giving in to my husband's constant demands to eat out rather than cook in the freezing kitchen, 2) turning on the electric heater in the kitchen (it burns a lot of electricity), 3) turning up the heat in the house.  WWYD?  I bought new slippers.

Looks like I'll have to set myself the next quarter guantlet soon.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: March 20, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Shoes ok if you're not a shoe person, because I think many of us would be stuffed if our one pair of runners or dress shoes broke ;) ... or slippers for that matter! Shoes buying is not ok under this gauntlet if you are a crazy shoe lady (or man) with dozens of pairs. I wonder how many pairs us MMM'ers own?
I've got runners, three pairs for the office (one smarter pair for dressing up, one lighter colored pair for summery clothes and one everyday pair), ugg boots, 2x boots for winter (one pair nearly dead, back-up pair was purchased at a really good price), sandals, flip flops, skate shoes (I actually skate), converse and a couple of "dud" pairs that I bought and realised upon wearing they weren't very comfy. Waiting to find someone to give these to whom they might work for, as they (obviously) look pretty much new. I always find it hard to tell if shoes will be comfy or not until I've walked a couple of kms in them :( I wear everything except the duds regularly (i.e. all the winter stuff gets worn at least once a week in winter, and all the summer stuff at least once a week in summer) so I think this is a good amount of shoes for me.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #343 on: March 22, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
This quarter (since we're almost there) I've spent a total of $47 on clothing. $17 on socks which I don't count. And $30 on a dress that was a steal. Feel confident about April because I will be traveling a lot. No time to shop. Will deal w/ May when it gets here.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: March 22, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
No clothes for me so far this year (yay!!!!).  DH needed some underwear and socks. 

We bought our older toddler some 3T clothes, pants, shirts and pajamas.  This is the first actual clothes shopping trip we've done, because up through his 2Ts were all hand-me downs.  Kept it simple and not aggressively seasonal (lightweight long pants, short sleeved or thin tops, plus some sweatshirts), since these will get passed down to the baby.  I checked Goodwill first, but the available clothes were pretty ratty and stained, so we hit up the Target sale rack instead.  Got really cute cargo pants originally about $20 for $7/pair, and a ton of shirts for $2-$5, plus pajamas for $5/set.  We're about to try Goodwill again for the baby.  His big brother, at this age, lived in a very hot climate, so he lived in short-sleeve onesies or t-shirts and a diaper.  This kiddo is in cool weather so he needs a few things to fill out the wardrobe.  He has tons of onesies and pajamas, but only 3 pairs of thin pants, and we're outside a lot.  I don't want to get much though, since he'll outgrow it fast and we'll just donate after.  Besides Goodwill, I'm looking at the local online sales groups.               

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
I haven't bought any clothes this year but just wiped out on my bike yesterday and tore a gaping hole in the knee of my only work pants! They're black cords I tailored myself so they fit perfectly. It's so sad. It's a huge hole with ragged edges from sliding along the pavement (it was quite the digger, luckily just bruises and scrapes). Guess I'll have to buy a pair of pants, but now it's not corduroy season anymore and that's what I want. :(

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »
I know I am late to this challenge, but I want to join in!  We are getting ready to move, and I just spent the last weekend purging my closet anyway... might as well not buy anymore stuff that I'm going to want to just purge in a year!

So far I have only made 2 clothes purchases in 2014.  The first purchase was $5.35 in January on a pair of earrings at H&M.  I won a trip to Las Vegas, and had absolutely ZERO things to wear that could pass as fancy-enough-for-Vegas.  I decided the best thing to do was pull together the fanciest items I owned, and add some glitzy pizz-azz with some sparkly hoop earrings.  It ended up working out great, and now I have a pair of earrings in my arsenal next time that happens.

The second purchase was last week; $48.42 for low top converse chuck taylors.  This style has been my go-to shoes for the past 12 years, and I wear through a pair in about 3 years, so it was pretty much planned out already. 

Total for 2014: $53.77

Potential Purchases:
Starting in April we will be biking to work, which could require slight modification of my wardrobe. 
During my purge I noticed my gray jeans are dangerously threadbare, so I may be tempted to replace them...

I'm not counting cost of repairing existing items against me.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
I was thinking about how I come to this thread to update and always say some version of "still going strong." I am boring myself!

So, how about this? HOW are you spending the time that you use to spend perusing websites for clothing?

As for me, I am reading more, working on goals, spending time with family…I am also watching The Sopranos from the start. =-)

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
I have been using my clothes shopping time reading more, exercising more, doing more crafty things, and of course spending time on this website instead of clothing store websites.

Less positively, I've been spending a good amount of time lately binge-watching tv shows.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
I've never been one to spend a lot of time online shopping. I have, however, been keeping a fairly consistent list of every outfit I wear to work. I've been trying to cultivate a minimalist wardrobe but don't want to get stuck wearing the same few outfits all the time. Keeping the list helps me see that I have plenty of clothes as long as I use a little imagination.