Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177429 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Still need shoes. Still haven't bought clothes. I was miserable when my favourite pair of shorts got bloodstained (caught unprepared by an early period). Fortunately I was home, grabbed some other clothes and after a quick scrub stuck the lot in a quick cycle (for a front loader, a mere hour). No stain! Yay! Although I was tempted to see if I could find another pair before summer's out, in case they change the styles next year... Hopefully I can hold off on that.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »
I'm still going strong too!

I felt good that I was not tempted to buy clothing for myself. Because I did Project 333, I have a good sense of what I own and I know there's nothing I need right now. Good feeling!

The no-clothing challenge in my home is just for me, and so I did pick up a sweater for the ever-growing squirt in a large size that can be worn next year too. The pants I bought the kiddo last fall are already too short. Kidlet doesn't care, so I might just let them roll until spring (when they can be considered long capris). =-)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
Just reporting in: still going strong too apart from the interview attire in November. Got the job, so maybe worthwhile!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2014, 11:33:45 AM »
Check, I am still on board and haven't bought anything.  (I signed up for just the first quarter though, and said I'd evaluate as I went on.)  Donated an armful of clothing yesterday.  I've been trying to reevaluate my wardrobe and follow the rules of 1) basic outfit, 2) layer, 3) accessorize.  While I am *terrible* at fashion, I managed to get a compliment on clothes at work day 2 of doing this, and just repurposing clothes differently than I usually would wear them.  Project 333 and a petite fashion blog someone posted have been helpful to get me to shake things up.

Paulie

« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Still going strong as well! I haven't bought anything yet!

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
Still going strong as well! I haven't bought anything yet!

Dittoooo!

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
I have joined this challenge, although my start date was February 1, since I bought a few winter clothing items at post-Christmas sales in January. But I'm in now, and I'll admit, very nervous. I have spent more money than I care to admit on clothing in my lifetime. I want to do this because I am tired of the mental energy it (shopping, even at thrift stores, to be honest) uses and I want to spend my time and energy on other pursuits. I am also doing Project 333.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
I have joined this challenge, although my start date was February 1, since I bought a few winter clothing items at post-Christmas sales in January. But I'm in now, and I'll admit, very nervous. I have spent more money than I care to admit on clothing in my lifetime. I want to do this because I am tired of the mental energy it (shopping, even at thrift stores, to be honest) uses and I want to spend my time and energy on other pursuits. I am also doing Project 333.

Welcome! Since you did some recent shopping, it sounds like you are prepared! I am not sure if you saw this already but some of us allow socks/underwear. That can remove some of the stress.

I know there's other stress too though.

You are spot on about the mental energy. I used to spend way too much time perusing websites looking for pretty things. Now, there's a whole enormous area of my brain that has opened up to more important things (and just about everything is more important than shopping!).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
I haven't had any problem sticking with this challenge, but I've added a little reward system for myself.  I always bargain shop and am trying to move towards spending more on quality pieces.  So for February I added a $30 rolling clothing budget to my Mint budget.  My excepted items will come out of this, and at the end of the year I can use the remainder for something nice like some expensive boots or cashmere sweater while still keeping the annual clothing budget to $330.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
Still going strong, as well.  I really haven't had the urge to buy anything in quite a few weeks.  My biggest concern now is that I'm going to "forget" and buy something, since there is very little opportunity to reinforce the "not buying any clothes" rule since I don't have the urge to, if that makes any sense.

Probably not.

Paulie

« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:29 AM »
Still going strong, as well.  I really haven't had the urge to buy anything in quite a few weeks.  My biggest concern now is that I'm going to "forget" and buy something, since there is very little opportunity to reinforce the "not buying any clothes" rule since I don't have the urge to, if that makes any sense.

Probably not.

To be sure you could put a note in your wallet at a place you definitely see when you're opening it ;-).

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Still need shoes. Still haven't bought clothes. I was miserable when my favourite pair of shorts got bloodstained (caught unprepared by an early period). Fortunately I was home, grabbed some other clothes and after a quick scrub stuck the lot in a quick cycle (for a front loader, a mere hour). No stain! Yay! Although I was tempted to see if I could find another pair before summer's out, in case they change the styles next year... Hopefully I can hold off on that.

Blood is removed pretty quick by hydrogen peroxide.  Don't leave it soaking or anything, but throw some on the stain in the sink and it'll sort of fizz out.  Then rinse it in cold water and see if the stain is gone yet.  HP will clean stuff just like rubbing alcohol but it can fade clothing (hasn't happened to me, but the bottle warns you) but it will strip the shiny off your earrings if you leave them soaking in it.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

Probably not.

To be sure you could put a note in your wallet at a place you definitely see when you're opening it ;-).

Now, that's no fun, is it?  It's much more fun to say, "Oops! I forgot!" while admiring my new jacket/jeans/shirt/shoes.

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
Quick note to mention that I'm also still doing well with this challenge!  There've been a couple times when I might have bought something minor had it not been for this challenge.  Knowing that my decision has already been made for me makes life *much* easier.

Actually, I know the owner of a ski apparel store who mentioned she has access to Sorels at cost (as we get to the end of ski season), so if I want to upgrade my winter boots, she'll hook me up.  I *love* the idea of getting the super-warm, Arctic-level Sorels, but I just don't need them, do I?  Life is easy.  :) 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
Not to be an enabler, but I bought some Sorel boots for snow days (not arctic variety, just waterproof and light insulation) and I freaking LOVE them.  I've worn them much more than I expected to this winter.  They were like $60 from Sierra Trading Post when they were doing one of their additional 45% off sales.

I'm headed to the consignment store today to see if they sold my fancy pants long wool coats and a couple other items.  Any proceeds go into the clothing fund.

This weekend I'm going to try upgrading some of my existing clothing. That includes altering some very expensive leather-butted riding breeches I bought on Ebay and attempting to dye them from white to a more horse-snot friendly color, and repairing some stitching that ripped out on one of my favorite sleeveless tops.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
I haven't bought any clothing for myself at all this year so far.
This challenge could turn a little tricky, as I'll be getting into maternity clothes in a month or two (something I wasn't aware was going to happen when I decided to join the challenge), but... I'm still in.  I'm going to try my best to only wear hand-me-downs and if I absolutely need something to fill out my expanded wardrobe, I'll make it.  The only exception will be a maternity bathing suit for this summer.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
I haven't bought any clothing for myself at all this year so far.
This challenge could turn a little tricky, as I'll be getting into maternity clothes in a month or two (something I wasn't aware was going to happen when I decided to join the challenge), but... I'm still in.  I'm going to try my best to only wear hand-me-downs and if I absolutely need something to fill out my expanded wardrobe, I'll make it.  The only exception will be a maternity bathing suit for this summer.

Congratulations!  Here's how this particular lawyer would argue your case:  You signed up not to buy new clothing for *yourself.*  You aren't - you're buying it for the little one - to accommodate him/her.  No conflict with buying maternity gear.  :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
I agree that maternity clothes should be excepted, though obviously hand-me-downs or borrowed from other mothers is even better.

I screwed up a little bit today.  Went by the consignment store and they only had $10 and change on my account, and my beautiful red Gloverall duffel coat was not sold.  I took it home and am going to try to Ebay it.  While I was there I picked up a Mountain Hardware windproof running vest for $7.99, a nice cardigan for $6, and a pair of slacks for work for $10.99, so ended up spending $16.28 after my store credit.  However, this fits within the $30/month budget I set, and I think I'll be able to get $50 or more for the coat on Ebay.  I was really shocked that they sold my Calvin Klein coat and some other item and I only had $10 in my account.  Apparently they are just giving shit away.  I guess I will try to Ebay the rest of my stuff.

I won't lie, I was in the mood to go to TJMaxx today and sink a hundred or two on new clothes, so I don't feel too bad about the $16 as a compromise for 3 nice items.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
Yep running shoes only for me too , although I am going to try make it to June by alternating what I have now ( I have various pairs in different stages of wear).  If I can make it to December, that would be great too.

I've had to spend some $ yesterday. But I have really noticed that by having this challenge I am more aware of those purchases that I had before. Ive never spent much on clothes, but past few years I have done more and wanted to control it.

Bought 3 camis  $50. Realized mine were falling apart and I wear these daily to work\home\ sometimes to bed
Socks $5  again needed
Jeans- $14 ( perfect fit and dark wash, these were $88 at Macys and I got them for $26 at Amazon plus had a gift card for $12)
SHoes- $30
Workout wear- $20 pants ( run outside, original $80), biking shorts ( $20 original $80)
Dress pants, express at Goodwill. Look new $2

So $141.

My goal is to be under $250 for the year.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
I'm going to get a fitted sheet from a friend who's moving today, and she wants me to look through her clothes. So I might acquire even MORE clothes today, although I won't be paying for them.

I'm excited to perhaps get cute new things, but also hesitant to bring more into my home...

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
Still going strong here. When I go visit spouse's family, I like to visit a consignment shop. For some reason, I was thinking about how I won't get to go next time and felt a bit sad. I'm sure I'll survive!

Starting to work at home more and more so dressing up less and less often. That is sure helping to keep the good clothing lasting longer than it might have otherwise.

I just keep thinking about how not buying new clothing means I have an extra $XXXX to save per month for retirement. =-) Then, not buying clothing feels good.

On another good note, spring is coming. I'll get to switch out my clothing and wear some different items.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
I'm still going strong, Yipee!

One weak moment I went into Ross and tried on some cute spring dresses - luckily none fit. Also helps that I got a load of clothes & shoes for presents last year, some I haven't worn yet.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »
Don't forget http://refashionista.net for inspiration.

ba1114 height=266

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »
Wow! Thank you for sharing that link, C. K. Definitely impressive and something to aspire to some day when I have a sewing machine available.

In the meantime, I'm going to make time to learn how to embroider and do basic hand stitches. First up is going to be making a basic pennant banner that spells out S I M P L I C I T Y, maybe my favorite word/concept ;-D

Today is packing day, which makes tomorrow moving day! The bad thing about this will be finding new homes for my belongings, including my clothing. I believe my new wardrobe closet is smaller than my current one, which will make it seem like I have even more clothes than I already do. Feeling very good about my dedication to not acquiring more this year.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Wow! Thank you for sharing that link, C. K. Definitely impressive and something to aspire to some day when I have a sewing machine available.

You're welcome.

She also has no-sew fashions.
For instance, an elastic waist on a gigantic skirt is shoved up over the bust and the waist is cinched with a belt. Viola! Strapless dress.

With a long, button down skirt, put one part of the waist under an armpit and the other part of the waist over your other shoulder. Unbutton one button on the side that's over your shoulder. Stick your arm through. Cinch the thing with a belt. Voila! One-shoulder dress.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
My boy saved me today from going into Talbots (with their alluring "extra 70% off" sign.)  Good job, boy!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »
I am still holding strong, but I dreamt last night that I went to a consignment shop.  Just like I used to have "gorge myself" dreams when I dieted.  Funny.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:45 AM »
I think I also had a dream last night that I bought some article of clothing!  Weird!!

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
Oh man! I forgot about this goal. Okay, I'm on it now!  January i did spend $600 but almost all of it went to shoes for work  I was almost barefoot trust me and I got really good shoes but I got them at the outlet so they were  way less than they would be at the normal version of the store. Anyway, I still maintain my goal to not shop exceptions being - underwear and workout clothes when they are down to the threads only and one cool thing from any vacation I go on - should only be 2 this year maybe even one.   So, I'm on it!  Thanks for this thread!

Melody - how you doing?!

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
Still going, getting to "going strong". It took a few weeks, but now that my resolve has firmed, I am beginning to feel and think differently than in the past. The clothes, the idea of them, the looking for "the next thing to buy" doesn't have as much of a pull as it had before. I can appreciate the cute clothes in the Title Nine catalog that came in the mail yesterday (man, I'm a sucker for expensive, outdoorsy/athletic wear), but after leafing through it, I recycled it and kept coming back to my mantra "I have enough." I really do, and realize how fortunate I am. It's still a work in progress but going in a good direction! (And yes, I've stopped most catalogs coming to my mailbox through catalog choice.org, but there are still a few that I get.)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
I am in!

This is a fun thread [pun intended :) ].  I have also joined the Healthy 2014 challenge and intend to drop some poundage.  All my too small clothes are in a different closet and I will let you know when I get to "shop" there.

Right now I have one pair of jeans that fits, two pairs of sweatpants, several tops, two sweaters, lots of skirts and a few dresses so I am fine for awhile.  My second pair of jeans split two weeks ago.

I am one of those women who has several sizes of clothes filling two closets but not much in my present size.  I LOVE my smaller size clothes so I am psyched to be able to wear them soon. 

In the next size down...

Coming up next will be a second pair of sweats, several tops and a short black stretch skirt and a short blue skirt with black lace overlay.  Yay!

I am particularly looking forward to wearing some of my white cotton tops, my cotton flowy pants and some shorts I have never worn that I mail ordered three years ago.  They are two sizes away, just in time for summer.

I look forward to sharing my adventures in the Wintersun Home Shopping Network with you all.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
Oh man! I forgot about this goal. Okay, I'm on it now!  January i did spend $600 but almost all of it went to shoes for work  I was almost barefoot trust me and I got really good shoes but I got them at the outlet so they were  way less than they would be at the normal version of the store. Anyway, I still maintain my goal to not shop exceptions being - underwear and workout clothes when they are down to the threads only and one cool thing from any vacation I go on - should only be 2 this year maybe even one.   So, I'm on it!  Thanks for this thread!

Melody - how you doing?!

Wait, you spent almost $600 for shoes for just work?!!  I wear one pair at work (cost under $75, also bought at outlets).  I leave the pair of shoes at work and commute in a different pair so the work pair doesn't get scruffy.  I can wear a pair for about 1-2 years before it switches to commute pair.  (Commute shoes are sneakers, boots, flipflops - and nice shoes only if going to a work meeting.) 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
Update: I wimped out on the handbag problem... but at least I bought real leather (on sale) so hopefully won't need another for at least a couple of years. I've also bought some hoisery - in my "exceptions" I allowed hoisery but only basic (not patterned) hosiery - I normally pay $8 a pair (they last at least six months, cheaper ones last a few wears at best). I found some (good quality) patterned hosiery on clearance for $2 a pair - so while it wasn't on the permissible list, I'm not calling it a fail (hopefully if I wear these on the weekends I will wear my other ones less and therefore they will last longer.)

Other than that I am still motivated to keep going, although I think at some point I will need 3-4 basic tops for work. I have tonnes of weekend clothes, tonnes of work skirts, a couple of work dresses and only a couple of work tops which are unlikely to last the whole year - I actually don't have enough tops to get through the week, in summer it's fine as I wear the dresses, but in winter I like to wear a skirt, top and blazer if it's cold (dresses are not warm enough and don't match the blazer. I have cardigans but on a cold day they aren't enough). I also have a few really nice skirts which are not getting worn due to me not having a matching coloured top. I am going to wait until Target or Myer have the 30% sale and expect I can get these for about $8 each.  I'm taking photos of all my work skirts with me to make sure I get a good colour match.

Despite the fact i have bought the bag and may have to buy the tops I am still calling this a success - I've broken the habit of mindlessly strolling through the shops after a stressful day at work, buying stuff that I like but don't need. I'm  motivated to keep going - I don't actually miss shopping as much as I thought I would! I'm also thinking about the environmental impact of making these choices - after 12 months I will start to shop again but only for what I need and only high quality stuff.

I am also very inspired by the re-fashionista stuff to finish some sewing projects I have on the go!

ontario74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
Congratulations all on the non shopping :D

I just turned 40 and felt a need to purge the short-shorts and skinny cords, and buy "age appropriate" stuff, mostly second-hand from Ebay and Gap online sales.

My shopping cut-off is March 1. The only thing I need for the rest of the year is a pair of water shoes/sports sandals. I'm tempted to buy a pair of "Palladium" boots, but those'll have to wait or not be purchased at all.

I have two bags of clothes that will be picked up by a charity next week. And I agree, it is so much easier to get dressed when you have less to choose from :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
I don't think you need to buy age appropriate clothes... I mean as long as your clothes work for you, does it matter if you are 39 or 40? Assuming your skinny jeans and short shorts are relics from your past and still fitting you you must be still looking good/not significantly different than you used to?
*coming from some-one who's 40+ year old friends do not dress age appropriately, for everyone of these people it took quite a long time of me knowing them before I realised they were in their 40s, not 30s. Because they still acted and dressed young, I just assumed they were young!
*also milestone birthdays suck - I just had the old quarter life crisis one (25 is the new 30 apparently, where we start freaking out about not having our lives together) - I just try and focus on what I have done, not what I haven't done.

Retireme32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
I just got invited to join a coworker in a garage sale so now instead of giving my clothes to Goodwill which is what I normally do, I can maybe make a few bucks.  I'm going to spend the weekend making some harder choices and try to make that pile for the garage sale much bigger. It's unfortunate how atttached I realize I am to things I haven't worn or used in forever but I immediately go to that part of my brain that justifies having it.  I think what I'm going to do it think harder on it and then if I still have stuff that  I haven't worn/used in a long time that I just can't feel like getting rid of -I'm going to make myself a "hot list" and  post if somewhere very visible in my apartment and if I don't use or wear that stuff within 6 months - it goes.  So that would mean August will be purge time again.   I think that might work but I'm also hoping that i will be more willing to let go this weekend.  Here's hoping!

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
I am still going strong and haven't been in a clothing store the whole time I've been doing the challenge. 

One exception:  I *have* been in one winter-sports-clothing store and have tried on some gorgeous super-warm jackets (pricey Solomon and Eider brands), but I don't think there's a real risk of my buying one of these ($500 or $400 at retail) even when they get marked down to half off -- I've never enjoyed buying things that cost that much, because I worry about making a severe mistake.   

This challenge rocks, as I'm not feeling lazy about wearing the same clothes week after week, but instead feel smart for *not* refreshing my look.   

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »
Still going strong here.  I just opened my hand-me-down bag of maternity clothes yesterday and wore my first maternity shirt of this pregnancy.  I'm going to go through the bag today and weed out the winter maternity & inventory the summer clothes (which is what I'll be wearing).  I'm 99% sure this is my last pregnancy, so the off-season maternity clothes will get donated.  I've decided not to buy any maternity clothes, but to put out calls for clothing on facebook.  All I need are a couple more sundresses and a maternity bathing suit.  I really don't want to buy those just to wear them for two or three months.
I do need to purchase a pair of comfortable summer sandals (hope for some with decent support & that can dress up a little) -- I don't want to strictly wear flip flops all summer.  I can't believe it's only beginning of March and all I can think about is summer wear.  Our high yesterday was 79 degrees, so I can't help but think of sandals and sundresses.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »
Did a research paper on clothing production last semester.  Discovered that clothing purchases in the US average out to more than 1 new garment per person per week.  I don't have a source for that without pulling up the paper to look... but wow!  I applaud you all for committing to being below average! 

ontario74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
Hey Melody, I appreciate your young perspective. It's not about appearance as such.

These were things that a) I hadn't worn in more than 5 years for whatever reason (including a small weight gain) and that I wasn't willing to part with or b) that didn't fit the look I was aiming for - a more mature look.

The birthday was a motivator not a cause.

Honestly, I've seen women around my age who still shop in the juniors' section. Not who I want to be.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2014, 05:56:20 AM »
Well, I bought a few items, but I don't really consider them clothes, so I am going to say I am still on board. 

These were not fun items that I was tempted into buying, but necessities:  a pair of black hose for a fancy event I went to this weekend and three pair of trouser socks for work (replacing those that had recently gotten holey).

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
Did a research paper on clothing production last semester.  Discovered that clothing purchases in the US average out to more than 1 new garment per person per week.  I don't have a source for that without pulling up the paper to look... but wow!  I applaud you all for committing to being below average!

Even as someone with previously super high clothing consumption (who's finding this challenge hard!) that's a lot of clothes... especially when you think of all the non-shoppers (i.e. many men - My boyfriend has bought a two hats, three pairs of socks and a pair of flip flops in the whole time I have known him!) ...Even factoring in a sock/underwear/hosiery refresh each year it's still a lot! That being said I've bought 6 pairs of hosiery this year and may buy some more bras at some point (when/if the current ones wear out) - even in a year of no shopping I'd expect to hit at least 10 purchases due to undergarments and shoes (hence why they weren't included in the challenge).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
Well I managed to remove a couple of HUGE bags of clothing from my house this weekend, and I still have so much stuff! Clearing out the closets also showed me just how much I have waiting for me to lose a little bit more weight (most of what I got rid of was too large).

I'm still not 100% sure that I can make it through given how quickly some of my work clothes are deteriorating. Serves me right for buying shoddy clothes. At the very least I can make it through to July, but at that point I may find that I need to carefully purchase a few things for my work wardrobe. I'm trying not to freak out too much about spending that money.

Paulie

« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »
I went on a shopping trip with my mom this weekend. I didn't tell her about this challenge because shopping together is our quality time, we usually do this 4 days a year. I guess we should find something else to do together. I offered her to help her in the garden instead, to avoid shopping, but she needed some things so we went anyway.

I only got a sports bra (which was on my 'allowed list' anyway), and my mom bought it for me (she usually buys me something although I have said a hundred times that I make my own money now). We also bought some really nice babyclothes because my brother and SIL will be getting their first baby this summer, but those are counted as gifts ;-).

What kind of things do you guys do when spending time with your parents other than shopping?

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »
We sit in the kitchen or dining room and talk for hours. Usually with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine depending on the time of day.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
What kind of things do you guys do when spending time with your parents other than shopping?

We talk.  Over meals in the kitchen or on the deck, eventually moved to the living room.
We ski or kayak.  My mom and I do also crafts - she's helped me make quilts, or sew things.  I've taken her to a jewerly making studio for a present before.

I used to do my outlet shopping with my mom, in 1-2 bursts each year, but now I do it with my husband.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »
2 month check in.  Still going strong.  Not often tempted or anything, either. 

My bras (I rotate between 2) are getting too stretched out, I'm on the tightest hook now and they don't feel as supportive as they once were. But I'm going push them just a couple more months.  I have 2 more of the same style in the closet that I snagged on sale last year, and I think they will last me the rest of the year.  I sure wish that my size bra was easier to find, they would last longer if I could get them in the right size...  The ones in the closet are also at least 1 cup small and one band band big.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Have you looked into online retailers? Some specialize in hard to find sizes, which is great for my poor friend who's a 28G.

I have, but I have a particularly rare size, it seems.   I'm a 26 ribcage and 31 bust, that's a 26DD.  There's one bra maker out of Poland that makes a 26DD, and you have to special order.  Nobody else makes a 26 band, that I've found.  So the closest sister size that is commercially available is 28D.  And it is actually less available than a size 28G or any 28 with a larger cup.

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but for anyone that isn't familiar with true bra sizing, a DD does not equal huge.  a 26DD has the same cup volume as a 32B.  Which is what I used to wear when the sales people at VS measured me.  They would put someone in a 32 that had a 32" ribcage and me (with a ribcage 4 inches smaller!) in the same bra.  When I put on my first 28, I was like "woah!  That's what these are supposed to do for me!!!"  It was a revelation.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
I know this all sounds ridiculous, but for anyone that isn't familiar with true bra sizing, a DD does not equal huge.  a 26DD has the same cup volume as a 32B.  Which is what I used to wear when the sales people at VS measured me.  They would put someone in a 32 that had a 32" ribcage and me (with a ribcage 4 inches smaller!) in the same bra.  When I put on my first 28, I was like "woah!  That's what these are supposed to do for me!!!"  It was a revelation.
That is a rare size! Also, you'll get no argument from me about bra sizing. I'm a 32D, and I don't look busty at all.

So it seems.  I think that a 26 ribcage really isn't that unusual, but bra makers just don't think there is a market for it.  I'm pretty short and petite, but I'm not like super super skinny or anything!   

And I just thought I'd note that the "if you aren't familiar" with bra sizing bit was directed at the general public.  I know some people think "wut, no way, a 26DD couldn't stand up!"  But the truth is, I can.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »

Ride bikes (my old man puts me to shame! I can barely keep up!), walk on the beach, SUP, scavenge for shellfish, watch DVDs which they get for free from the library, sometimes they come to my friends parties with me, go to the pub, make a BBQ, drink coffees... they're early retirees so mostly pretty frugal stuff...

I'm still not 100% sure that I can make it through given how quickly some of my work clothes are deteriorating. Serves me right for buying shoddy clothes. At the very least I can make it through to July, but at that point I may find that I need to carefully purchase a few things for my work wardrobe. I'm trying not to freak out too much about spending that money.

I know! Isn't this challenge enlightening how crap most of what we buy is?