Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177407 times)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
I may need some support through this one, but sign me up!

Exceptions: new bra or two depending on wear, cobbler for shoes if necessary.  I'm low on shirts but have enough dresses if I get a pair of tights or two - we'll see how it goes before making that purchase. 

I have a few purchases left in 2013 - sneakers, gloves for winter biking, bra. 

I've have almost two years to build a wardrobe and enough to get by at the very least.  Time to stop the building phase and enter the replacement phase!

Amending this - tailoring/alterations are allowed.  I just got a few dresses from my mom which need a little work and I realized I would wear some shirts that otherwise fit if I change the arm length from awkward to intentional 1/2 sleeve.   

2013 purchases have been made.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
I actually noticed once I pledged to not buy until April 1 that my grocery expenses went up (started buying fancy cheeses, fancy tea, a ton of packaged snacks and candies). It's frustrating that when I try to isolate expenses in one area I seem to incur costs elsewhere anyway! I think it's because it's easy for me to get into this mindset of "oh, I'm being so virtuous in this one area"—and then I don't hold myself to as high standards in other areas. There's a well-documented "health halo" effect that happens when people who are trying to eat healthy choose a seemingly-nutritious food and then overeat; or maybe people who exercise and then eat a bunch of junk food.

Not sure what to do about it, except to gently reprimand myself and make a plan to do better.

Try the envelope system.  Once the money is gone for an area, it's gone.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
I'm doing better than I thought I would. Bought the polarized sunglasses I needed, then a second pair because they're on sale (oops :) ). Haven't bought anything else! Not even the new shoes I need for work. A lack of time and access to shops seems to be the trick to making this challenge easy. I meant to pick up the clothes I need and start 1 Jan, but I seem to have started early.

I put in an order for UV400 sunglasses as I just learned that's the kind to get to protect the ol' eyes from both UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. I did not know that before!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
I'm thinking of getting on board with this. I have enough clothes to make it through the winter season definitely. Not sure when I get to Spring/Summer. But I hope so. I will need underwear this year, although I upgraded my bras this year, so should be set in that area.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
On board with this, for sure.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
I have done this since May. Yay! Originally, I was going to go until May 2014 to make it a complete year. Instead, I am going to do all of 2014 because I decided to fill in my winter wardrobe with a few work appropriate tops and warm sweaters (and a pair of needed walking shoes since I walk around 18-20+ mi per week.

Glad to join you all!

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »
I'm in!  I might need to buy a new pair of sandals this summer, but I also need to sell about 3 pairs of pants on eBay--so I'm thinking that might be my one "cheat," selling the pants to buy some presentable sandals.  I don't have a huge wardrobe, and I'm a bit of a tomboy, but I definitely have enough clothing! 

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
Update to my 2014 challenge. Just ordered panties and workout capries with  a credit I had from Aerie, returned a shirt to American Eagle that seams came out after 2 wears. ( they guarantee their clothes). So I am good for 2014 except for running shoes which I plan to replace in summer after I wear out my 4 pairs in multiple stages of wear.  I do not spend a lot on clothes, but do have a weakness for fitness clothing so will be a challenge for me.

I think I have more fitness clothing then work\casual clothes. LOL!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
Time to kick off the challenge officially.

I have been able to resist buying clothes since I signed up a couple of months ago.  As a pleasant surprise, my other half bought me some jeans and a top for Christmas, and it all fits great!  How can a man find two different pairs of jeans that fit me perfectly when I can't seem to manage it even after trying on half of the store?

I will buy some running shoes this year.  That's it for me.  :-)

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Yep running shoes only for me too , although I am going to try make it to June by alternating what I have now ( I have various pairs in different stages of wear).  If I can make it to December, that would be great too.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
Well I managed to resist the urge to buy new dresses in the boxing day sales, and the urge did pass. Feeling hopeful that I will make it through the year without buying any new outer-wear, but just in case weight loss and/or clothes wearing out make that impossible, I've decided that IF I have to buy new clothes I will do my best to buy what I need from op shops before resorting to new-new clothes.

I'm also starting to feel more and more concerned about the ethical implications of clothing manufacture (Bangladeshi factory collapse, anyone else decide not to buy clothes from kmart after that?) and I think buying second hand clothes is a neat way of bypassing ethical issues and reducing waste generally.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »
One of my loopholes was that I can make myself clothes. I just finished a skirt. It took quite a while, but I think my sewing skills are better for it. I also undid the darts on a dress I bought last year and redid the gathering on its skirt so it looked right. Alteration skills leveled up!

Paulie

« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2014, 05:06:51 AM »
I also want to look more carefully on what I'll be buying this year! Last year I spent about 600 usd on it I think, so that's not too bad, but this year my budget will be less. My exceptions are sporting shoes, one pair of jeans (because I just lost my favorite, it was really worn out), one sporting bra. I have enough undies and socks to last for a year. Besides these things, I'll 'give' myself 150 usd spending money for the whole year.

Maybe some tips (don't know if they were already mentioned)
- For my birthday I usually go shopping with my mother, as a birthday gift.
- We sometimes have 'cloth swapping parties'. Everyone brings some items that are still of good quality, but that they don't fit/like anymore. Than you can freely shop through someone elses clothes. It's a lot of fun as well!
- I always postpone big purchases. See if I still want them after a few days. (But it's not sensible to do this for sale items).

Good luck to everyone!

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
Haha--I don't think of myself as being clothing obsessed, but I really like sales, and I am finding it a little strange to not take a few minutes each day to see if there's anything really great on deep sale at J.Crew.  Guess I didn't realize how much time I've been spending casually browsing for clothing!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
Haha--I don't think of myself as being clothing obsessed, but I really like sales, and I am finding it a little strange to not take a few minutes each day to see if there's anything really great on deep sale at J.Crew.  Guess I didn't realize how much time I've been spending casually browsing for clothing!
I haven't purchased any new clothes since June, but I still "shop" online frequently. I just enjoy looking.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »
I'm in!  Finally wrangled my clothes and added pieces so that I can compose capsule wardrobes for all seasons.  If anything will probably sell/donate some clothing.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
I listed about 10 pieces of clothing on ebay on New Year's Eve (mainly things that don't fit well after my recent weight loss).  And, my auctions are currently at $116 total--woohoo! 

I'm planning on spending about $10 of the ebay money on a sweater drying rack to basically eliminate my dry cleaning bill. 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Urgh - his is gonna be so hard. My attrition rate over the last few weeks has been shocking:
-2 x handbags broken (one I can take to the shoemaker to get a new zip, the other is broken beyond repair)
-2 x patterned tights shredded beyond usefulness
-2 x shoes broken beyond repair
-1 x board shorts mysteriously lost while on holiday.
But I will persist (although a new handbag might be a need for work - I need something to put my lunchbox in while I walk to work!, and shoes were exempt anyway if it was just replacing broken shoes).
It's certainly been a reminder why I shouldn't buy fast fashion - cheap is not cheap if it doesn't last.
After a year off I will focus on building a small high quality capsule wardrobe for work which should be cheaper in the long run.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Urgh - his is gonna be so hard. My attrition rate over the last few weeks has been shocking:
-2 x handbags broken (one I can take to the shoemaker to get a new zip, the other is broken beyond repair)
-2 x patterned tights shredded beyond usefulness
-2 x shoes broken beyond repair
-1 x board shorts mysteriously lost while on holiday.
But I will persist (although a new handbag might be a need for work - I need something to put my lunchbox in while I walk to work!, and shoes were exempt anyway if it was just replacing broken shoes).
It's certainly been a reminder why I shouldn't buy fast fashion - cheap is not cheap if it doesn't last.
After a year off I will focus on building a small high quality capsule wardrobe for work which should be cheaper in the long run.

Agh! That sucks! Awesome bit about how this helps you to remember to buy quality and not fashion, though.

I used a 7,000w purse for almost a year before the strap completely broke off. I decided it wasn't worth trying to pay anyone to repair because it was so cheap to begin with, and I've been using a Hello Kitty tote bag as my purse for the past three months. I planned on just using the Hello Kitty tote until I got a new purse, but realized that I didn't really *need* a new purse because the tote works just as well.

Maybe you can also find substitutes that you already own for some of these broken items? For carrying your lunch box to work, do you have a reusable grocery bag? A freebie tote you may have picked up at a festival or promotional thing? I think most people have at least one of those floating around.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »
Me too, the zipper on my Lucky Brand jeans broke for no particular reason.  Haven't even worn them that many times though I've had them for a bit.

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
I just threw away a pair of dearly loved old slip-on converse shoes (RIP), which I might replace with something similar this year. And my black skinny jeans, which I wear at least weekly, are getting pretty faded. I might replace them soon. Other than those items, I'm in for this challenge, too. I already buy 90% of my clothes at thrift stores, but I just have so many and it's time to stop! If anything, I really need to get rid of some things I don't wear.

What's funny is that after a month or so of no shopping at all (except groceries), it doesn't even sound like fun anymore. I'm going to save so much money if I can just keep myself away from the stores.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »
I've been watching this thread with some interest, but no intention of joining.  I find myself admiring others' frugal ways while thinking, "But I could never do that."  Why the hell not?  It's time I challenge my defeatist attitude when it comes to spending money.

So...I am on the bandwagon.  The only exception would be if something that is critical to my wardrobe got holes in it that are unfixable (I have a limited work wardrobe that I rotate through--three skirts and three pairs of pants--if any one of those wore out, I'd have to replace them.)  I have plenty of jackets and tops though, so no excuse to buy there, even if one wears out.

Also, not quite sure how to handle kids.  They outgrow things and they NEVER pass on a pair of jeans (they wear through the knees within a matter of weeks), and they also wear out gloves, snowpants, and boots.  But here I will really challenge myself to question whether something really needs to be replaced and if yes, then I will look first to buy used.

Last year we spent an average of $305 per month on clothes for a family of five.  Shouldn't be hard to beat that!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »
Just wanted to add that after I posted that, I got this half excited/half sick-to-my-stomach feeling.  It's amazing what a rush it can be to challenge ourselves this way!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »
I just threw away a pair of dearly loved old slip-on converse shoes (RIP), which I might replace with something similar this year. And my black skinny jeans, which I wear at least weekly, are getting pretty faded. I might replace them soon. Other than those items, I'm in for this challenge, too. I already buy 90% of my clothes at thrift stores, but I just have so many and it's time to stop! If anything, I really need to get rid of some things I don't wear.

What's funny is that after a month or so of no shopping at all (except groceries), it doesn't even sound like fun anymore. I'm going to save so much money if I can just keep myself away from the stores.

Some one on the forum mentioned re-dying black pants/jeans...
So true though, I haven't shopped for a while and don't miss it (much).

Regarding the handbag, I'm a bit scared to just use a cloth bag as I often have other things part from the lunchbox - wallet, sunnies, kindle etc. I'm going to get the (smaller) fixable bag fixed but I probably won't handle going a whole year without a bigger bag (I have a smaller one and a larger one depending how much stuff I need to carry) so I may have to give in-to this... If it was the smaller bag that had died completely I could have just gotten by with the bigger one, but it's hard not having a bigger one on hand.  But I'm going to explore getting one used on ebay or seeing if any of my friends have unused ones they want to liberate before I do anything...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2014, 07:04:05 AM »

Some one on the forum mentioned re-dying black pants/jeans...
So true though, I haven't shopped for a while and don't miss it (much).

Regarding the handbag, I'm a bit scared to just use a cloth bag as I often have other things part from the lunchbox - wallet, sunnies, kindle etc. I'm going to get the (smaller) fixable bag fixed but I probably won't handle going a whole year without a bigger bag (I have a smaller one and a larger one depending how much stuff I need to carry) so I may have to give in-to this... If it was the smaller bag that had died completely I could have just gotten by with the bigger one, but it's hard not having a bigger one on hand.  But I'm going to explore getting one used on ebay or seeing if any of my friends have unused ones they want to liberate before I do anything...
Could you keep the important stuff in the smaller bad while putting any extras in a bigger cloth bag? It might be awkward to carry 2 bags, but it would circumvent needing to buy a new bag for a while.
Regarding dying, I've successfully dyed a cotton dress, but haven't experimented with jeans. I think you'd need to be thorough to ensure no blotches, but should work.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
Oh, wow. I'd thought about dyeing a sweater I received. I had not thought about dyeing my pants. I have a pair of pants that I love (comfy + work appropriate, which is a hard combo to find). If I dye them a darker color, they might look newer. Maybe I can get more use out of them that way.

Thank you for the great idea!

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of dying my jeans! That hadn't occurred to me. I don't really have anything to lose by trying it, since the jeans are looking pretty worn out already. I'm going to look into it for sure.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:42 AM »
Unfortunately I came across a > $500 pair of Phillip Lim oxfords recently that are my solemates (haha). Of course it is a ridic price, but now my general resistance has been weakened considerably and I am in danger of just overbuying on everything. Ever since I fel in love with and then subsequently tried to forget about these shoes, my groceries and toiletries categories have gone through the roof.

Anyone else get this?

I actually noticed once I pledged to not buy until April 1 that my grocery expenses went up (started buying fancy cheeses, fancy tea, a ton of packaged snacks and candies). It's frustrating that when I try to isolate expenses in one area I seem to incur costs elsewhere anyway! I think it's because it's easy for me to get into this mindset of "oh, I'm being so virtuous in this one area"—and then I don't hold myself to as high standards in other areas. There's a well-documented "health halo" effect that happens when people who are trying to eat healthy choose a seemingly-nutritious food and then overeat; or maybe people who exercise and then eat a bunch of junk food.

Not sure what to do about it, except to gently reprimand myself and make a plan to do better.

Confession: I bought a sweater a few days ago. But I had major remorse the day after and I think the construction quality isn't great/won't hold up over a few wears and washes, so I'm returning it. Not as bad as it could've been—I still pay the costs of going to return it, though.

Hm. Thanks for replying, so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this!

Suddenly I have developed a new "weakness" for makeup and fancy baked goods. And, last month I went overboard with buying clothes and shoes for family members, dropping $$ in a way that I'd never do for myself.

Seems like when I plug one hole in the budget ship, I just make another one... I'd been inadvertently doing this challenge quite effortlessly before I became aware of it. Any pop psychologists out there with advice?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
If you are having the above problem, might I recommend freecycle? It will take up your time while you wean yourself off of the purchasing treadmill. I have a hunter/gatherer instinct, which thrifting used to address. Now, instead, I am collecting random items for DIY projects from freecycle. This quells my "shopping" desires.

The creator of Dilbert wrote an article for the Wash Post recently. He says willpower fails often and that our willpower runs out (we only have so much in a day). His suggestion is to create systems. Don't try to lose 12 lbs, he says. Put good food nearby and take up a variety of exercising. Once you change how you do things (and see how good you feel) you won't need willpower to eat well or work out. This can apply to not shopping as well.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2014, 04:12:28 AM »
Seems like when I plug one hole in the budget ship, I just make another one... I'd been inadvertently doing this challenge quite effortlessly before I became aware of it. Any pop psychologists out there with advice?

I have three budget categories - one is bills (rent etc) which I can budget for really exactly. One is irregular "planned" stuff to pay for (like car repairs or holidays) which only happen a few times a year and everything else $1000/month which has to fit everything else (food, entertainment, drugstore, clothes, gifts, hobby spend etc etc). So an extra big grocery bill means one less beer at the pub, a new pair of shoes means inviting my friend around for home cooked dinner rather than going out etc. This way every expense is seen as a trade off. Money does not roll over into the next month if not spent it gets saved.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
Thanks Melody and oldtoyota for your tips, I really appreciate the help. I will not be doing the challenge "officially" but will try to get back to my non-spending ways with the following tricks:
1. Browsing freecycle and the local charity shop when I need a fix, instead of trying to resist the urge altogether
2. Rearranging my 2014 budget into those three categories mentioned by Melody and seeing how that works out
Feeling less hopeless. Thanks again.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
My best friend is having a "zero" birthday and she has chosen to go outlet shopping with me and another (big spender) friend. Ahh! I don't know how I'm going to resist buying any clothing during a full day of bargain hunting. I might just limit myself to work and workout clothes, since I ALWAYS need suits/work clothes and I always just buy them on sale at the outlets.  One thing I think will help me is if I keep in mind why I don't want to spend $ on clothes --- to spend it on something that brings me much more joy which is renting a beach house.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »
Thanks Melody and oldtoyota for your tips, I really appreciate the help. I will not be doing the challenge "officially" but will try to get back to my non-spending ways with the following tricks:
1. Browsing freecycle and the local charity shop when I need a fix, instead of trying to resist the urge altogether
2. Rearranging my 2014 budget into those three categories mentioned by Melody and seeing how that works out
Feeling less hopeless. Thanks again.

=-)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »
My best friend is having a "zero" birthday and she has chosen to go outlet shopping with me and another (big spender) friend. Ahh! I don't know how I'm going to resist buying any clothing during a full day of bargain hunting. I might just limit myself to work and workout clothes, since I ALWAYS need suits/work clothes and I always just buy them on sale at the outlets.  One thing I think will help me is if I keep in mind why I don't want to spend $ on clothes --- to spend it on something that brings me much more joy which is renting a beach house.

Leave your credit card at home.  If you need to, bring some cash along, so you pre-budget. 

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
Thanks CommonCents! That is an awesome idea.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
Whenever I see this thread pop up, I think: "We all made it X number of days." I am not having a hard time not shopping, but it cracks me up for some reason to think of it like that.

Here's to making it 9 days, people!

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:53 PM »
Whenever I see this thread pop up, I think: "We all made it X number of days." I am not having a hard time not shopping, but it cracks me up for some reason to think of it like that.

Here's to making it 9 days, people!

Amen, lets make it 10.... :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
A post about buying clothes in a no-clothes buying thread:

I'm officially cranky about having to go clothes shopping in a week or two. I'd like a suit for my new job along with a couple button-up shirts (I only have skirts, questionably nice pants/jeans, three weird button-ups, and cardigans), and I'm not really sure where to get these items. The bonus is that my grandmother is buying them for me. She has already warned me that she won't be able to walk very much, so I'm hesitant to even suggest thrifting to her. It seems like one stop at the shopping mall might work out better.

Looking online, JCPenney's stuff looks cheap and overpriced. Macy's is the same, although slightly better. My mom suggests New York & Company, but their website looks very trendy.

I just want something nice and classic that will last. Suggestions?

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2014, 04:45:40 AM »

Ann Taylor, clearance rack or deep sale preferred.  They tend to fit me really well (which is rare) and are classic designs for basics.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2014, 05:08:19 AM »

Ann Taylor, clearance rack or deep sale preferred.  They tend to fit me really well (which is rare) and are classic designs for basics.

Thanks! I just checked, and there isn't an Ann Taylor store nearby. There is, however, LOFT, which is the same company. I'll check that one out.

EDIT: AHHHHH! Nevermind. I looked at LOFT's website. $100 jackets? No thanks. Even $50 makes me uncomfortable!

Grumblegrumble... I'll figure something out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:10:54 AM by nikki »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2014, 05:23:17 AM »
I am in for this challenge. Buying clothes I don't need is one of my downfalls. And I am in extreme debt reduction mode this year, so every little bit helps. The only exception will be if my son gets married this year, I will need a dress. He is engaged, but no date set yet.

Yesterday I returned a fleece jacket to Wal Mart that I didn't want to keep. Got $11 back. I had seen a jacket I could wear to work, but it was $21, so I was going to have to fork out another $10. Remembered about this challenge and left the store with nothing.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2014, 05:26:24 AM »
Good for you, Prairie Gal!

Assuming we get through today, only 355 days to go!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2014, 05:53:30 AM »
Made it through Day 10 :) (In Australia)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2014, 07:24:12 AM »

Thanks! I just checked, and there isn't an Ann Taylor store nearby. There is, however, LOFT, which is the same company. I'll check that one out.

EDIT: AHHHHH! Nevermind. I looked at LOFT's website. $100 jackets? No thanks. Even $50 makes me uncomfortable!

Loft and Ann Taylor are owned by the same people, but Loft IS a different brand.  I find it's a bit cheaper (material & cost), younger, trendier.  That said, you have to be diligent about checking the clearance rack and getting the emails to know when they are having double sales or you can use coupons, to get things uber cheap.  Its really just tough to find good suit cheap (or even cheap suits cheap), particularly if avoiding thrift stores.

For inspiration folks, it may have been posted before but I remind you: www.theuniformproject.com
I really have way more clothes than anyone needs, and I really only wear about 35% of it on a regular basis.  I need to be more creative with what I have and I'll look a million times better.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »

I'm officially cranky about having to go clothes shopping in a week or two. I'd like a suit for my new job along with a couple button-up shirts (I only have skirts, questionably nice pants/jeans, three weird button-ups, and cardigans), and I'm not really sure where to get these items. The bonus is that my grandmother is buying them for me. She has already warned me that she won't be able to walk very much, so I'm hesitant to even suggest thrifting to her. It seems like one stop at the shopping mall might work out better.

Looking online, JCPenney's stuff looks cheap and overpriced. Macy's is the same, although slightly better. My mom suggests New York & Company, but their website looks very trendy.

Are you still in South Korea and will the shopping take place there?

If you are shopping in the US, I suggest the Ann Taylor outlet (not the website). I have gone before on Memorial Day weekend and gotten 40% off of new clothing for everything I bought. That was my last major purchase of clothes. At one point, I got a suit for $100. It's very well made, and I've used it on nearly every job interview in the past 5 years.

Suits are expensive. You have to get more out of them by using jewelry and different shirts to make the expense worth it, IMO.

Also, I only need one suit so $100 for it doesn't seem like much to me.

You could also look on ebay if you already know your size.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
I would rather have one $100 blazer that lasts forever and fits beautifully than a $20 blazer that needs to be replaced in a year and fit ok.

Not saying those are your only options, but it is something to keep in mind! :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »

Are you still in South Korea and will the shopping take place there?

If you are shopping in the US, I suggest the Ann Taylor outlet (not the website). I have gone before on Memorial Day weekend and gotten 40% off of new clothing for everything I bought. That was my last major purchase of clothes. At one point, I got a suit for $100. It's very well made, and I've used it on nearly every job interview in the past 5 years.

Suits are expensive. You have to get more out of them by using jewelry and different shirts to make the expense worth it, IMO.

Also, I only need one suit so $100 for it doesn't seem like much to me.

You could also look on ebay if you already know your size.

Clothes don't really fit me in Korea (women's size 12 US), and they're generally more expensive here. The suit-shopping will take place in Texas. Also, my grandmother is buying (so maybe I shouldn't grumble about price so much).

I'm just planning on getting one and changing shirts or wearing the jacket with skirts and pants I already own. I'll post after I've gotten something and let you all know how it went.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2014, 06:25:52 AM »

Can you preview the Loft without your grandmother, just long enough to see if there are clearance racks? Or check for outlets?

Would your grandmother consider financing a thrift trip but meeting you toward the end for a fashion show and then a cup of coffee or lunch together? Or even a trip to the mall for just one item?

The last time I took my grandmother shopping, we did go to a mall, and she rode in one of the mall's loaner wheelchairs. She was much more comfortable that way (we were shopping for her), and although i am exactly the opposite of a "shopper," we had a wonderful time that I will always remember -- she's been gone for over a decade now. Whatever you do, as long as she can afford it, don't let your anxiety about spending interfere with both of you enjoying your special time together.

Paulie

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
I just bought some paint for 2 pair of pants that have stains that won't go out anymore. So I'm hoping to gain 2 extra pair with only a 10$ investment. Not sure if it will work though, I'll update the progress! (this doesn't count as buying clothes right?)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
I just bought some paint for 2 pair of pants that have stains that won't go out anymore. So I'm hoping to gain 2 extra pair with only a 10$ investment. Not sure if it will work though, I'll update the progress! (this doesn't count as buying clothes right?)

Paint seems odd. Wouldn't a dark coloured dye make more sense?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!