Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177421 times)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
With respect to buying tights I have found anything 70 denier and up tends to last ok, but it's all about fit. If the tights fit you well they won't get the hole in the crotch, if they are slightly too small they will. If they are slightly too big they snag on stuff. So try a few brands and when you find a brand you like stock up when it's on sale.  I use the Ambra School Tights and they are fantastic (I typically have 6 pairs, wear them 9+ months of the year due to our climate controlled office and they last me a year. They are 3 pairs for $25 at a local department store.) Also always use a wash bag to wash your tights and keep your toenails trimmed short ;-)

Tights are great for getting more wear out of your existing wardrobe. I've given myself an out for replacing my basic black tights if they break (otherwise I will freeze at work!), but not for (more) funky patterned tights.

Charlotte

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2013, 02:19:50 AM »
Hi Melody! Buy "purchasing books", I mean on the kindle. I share an account with my sister and she buys TONS of books throughout the year, so I get to read them for free! I have a monthly "allowance" to use towards buying books I want to read (or anything else), but since I have a loan on my car I've put myself on a money diet.

Truth be told, I probably won't buy all 15 books next year. It's more of a book allowance while I'm in debt. I know I could borrow books on the kindle, but the account is owned by my sister and that adds a level of complication I haven't been too interested in pursuing. Besides, I still have about 60 kindle books to read!

Basically, I am self-regulating my spending for the next two years. And thanks for the advice, it's good to be reminded that there are different options out there!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »
Ok, before I said I wasn't going to do this. But I managed a measly 1 month of project 333, so this is, while scary, what I'd like to do next! I have some caveats for myself;
1 shoes and hats are exempt
2 I can make myself as many clothes as I like
3 I need new cardigans, a new fluffy warm jumper, and tights, but these will operate on the one in one out rule.
I will try not to use these loopholes, but I really don't wear office appropriate shoes to work and suitable new ones have failed to present themselves.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
I may have slightly screwed this up - while buying underwear (that I needed and I was exempting myself from) I bought 2 singlets - these fall half way between the underwear and clothes category for me (they were from the underwear department, but I use them as layering pieces in the office) and were on super special, $6 each for Bonds (my fave brand), to replace ones I had recently worn out... but still... It's shaping up to be harder than I thought! My wallet has also died so I will likely need to replace it (I don't want to use a pencil case for a whole year) - but if I do, I will replace it with the same wallet again (approx $40) or a more basic one - I will not be upgrading! (Unlike handbags and clothes I don't have a spare wallet of any description sitting around.) Urgh... I was totally looking forward for a $0 clothing line item in my monthly excel reports! Next month...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
I'm curious as to how long your wallet lasted. I have a leather one I bought for $80 5 years ago and it looks almost identical to when I bought it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
4 years...mine also looked brand new, but the zip gave up on me  :-( probally my fault for shoving bulky stuff in it too often (like my phone). I love this wallet its like a tiny clutch so its perfect for travelling as it fits a passport. :-)

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
4 years...mine also looked brand new, but the zip gave up on me  :-( probally my fault for shoving bulky stuff in it too often (like my phone). I love this wallet its like a tiny clutch so its perfect for travelling as it fits a passport. :-)

Take it to the cobbler and have them change the zipper for you. That should be under half the price of getting a new wallet and you will do just your little bit in saving, you know, the world!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2013, 02:01:14 AM »

Take it to the cobbler and have them change the zipper for you. That should be under half the price of getting a new wallet and you will do just your little bit in saving, you know, the world!

Good advice! I actually had a pair of shoes fixed since the start of this challenge for the sum of $7 (because they looked otherwise new, but the strap had broken), I'll go back to the same guy and see what he says about the wallet.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
I went one better and fixed it myself! Thank you candlewax and fiddling around! Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration guys!

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
Ive decided to do this challenge. I am not a big clothes person and don't really have a lot in the first place, but want to try and focus on buying more quality pieces. And tbh, I am not sure what I need right now. So this will allow me to focus.
I do know that I will possibly need a new pair of running shoes by summer. I rotate thru several different athletic shoes right now, one lightweight pair for everything, one running shoe, one all weather pair, and one racing pair. My goal would be do use all next year and transition to one lightweight pair and a spare pair

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
I think I should join this challenge.  I'm generally not a spender, but a sale at REI or Lands End usually gets me. Cutting back would help. I might have to make an exception for underwear and replacing a few illfitting shirts.

BTW melody, do you have a budget posted somewhere? I'm always curious about people with good saving rates :)

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »
I failed. I bought a little black dress for a holiday party. It is fabulous, but now I'm starting this challenge fresh.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I actually don't budget, but I do track expenses :)
I haven't posted it, because I think I'd get too many face punches  ;-) (I like going out to Pubs, and here a pint is $10... I have cut it down a lot, but I still think its face punch worthy!) But seriously, I am going through a few life changes and there are a few contingent things (like the timing/length of my holiday, possible new to me car, possible moving house) that make it really hard to budget. But I aim for $30k/year (seems high but COL in Perth is reasonably high - in the top 20 cities globally.) A big portion for me has been to do with doubling my (before tax) income in a two year period (sadly does not lead to doubling of after tax income due to highly progressive tax rates). Spending with previous job was approx 24/k year, so there has been some lifestyle inflation, but also fair bit of general inflation (for example rent has gone up $50/week on my house, student night beers have gone from $10 to $12 etc, petrol has gone from $1.30 to $1.55 per litre). The $30k/year is an all inclusive number, the (net) cost of the new car will come out of this, as will the holiday (which means buckling down in other areas). As I'm only spending half of each pay check there is no need to budget for something like car repairs or annual health insurance premiums (4% discount for paying annually!) as no matter what pops up in the month my paycheck can cover it. So the budget is just this really broad bucket. Rent is $10/k year. The remaining $20k has to cover everything else but I don't plan for it, just check my expenditure to see if I am on track.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »
I'd also like to see your budget, Melody :) we spend $60k for 2 people and haven't received any facepunches (that weren't helpful)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2013, 01:19:11 AM »
My bra finally fell apart :(

I'll be buying a new one the next time I go grocery shopping. I'm going to get it at E-Mart (think Walmart, Target, etc.). Bahaha!

Actually, I'm excited because bras are one of the few things that will probably fit me in South Korea. Shoes and pants are definitely out of the picture.

On that note, I know that I'm going to America in January to visit family. While there, I intend to find the perfect pair of maryjanes, a pair of slacks, maybe tattoo-covering button-downs, and hopefully a blazer or two. The shoes will be new (SAS, if you're familiar with that Texan brand), but the rest secondhand. I'm starting a new job in March that requires better clothes than I currently have, I think.

Other than these exceptions, I'll probably be just fine continuing my not-buying-clothes journey. The last time I bought something to wear was shoes in September 2012.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2013, 04:24:00 AM »
For those of you who are interested

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/melody%27s-blog-music-mayhem-and-money/

Anatidaev - By Dec I will be at $33k for the year ($4k of this was international holidays, camping holidays were budgeted as entertainment and I took a few of them). I think $60k for two people is slightly high as you should be able to have some economies of scale, especially by only owning one car. I cover most of our household costs as I am the leaseholder and it's all my furniture, so for example when the microwave died, I replaced it, not my housemate - in your situation these would also be halved. If I lived with my BF hobby costs would also go down (we could share a lot of the skateboarding, music and surfing gear so we would need less of it) as might going out/petrol costs as I presume we would go on less dates and the Petrol costs would go way down (currently every time I visit him it's $50 in petrol). Groceries and Lazy Food would also go down slightly (able to buy larger packets of things, consistently able to visit the markets - if I am busy I will end up at the supermarket paying more or I don't make my lunches, with two of us, hopefully one of us would be less busy and be able to sort it). Health insurance is less for couples too I think. Phone would go down as we could have one unlimited plan and one cheaper minutes plan between us. But $60k isn't bad given how expensive Perth is :S Hope all of this stuff was helpful for you and I look forward to meeting you this weekend :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Ugh.  I fell pretty badly on the stairs today and tore a small hole in my new tights.  Will have to figure out if I can patch them and how it'll look/hold up.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
For those of you who are interested

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/melody%27s-blog-music-mayhem-and-money/

Anatidaev - By Dec I will be at $33k for the year ($4k of this was international holidays, camping holidays were budgeted as entertainment and I took a few of them). I think $60k for two people is slightly high as you should be able to have some economies of scale, especially by only owning one car. I cover most of our household costs as I am the leaseholder and it's all my furniture, so for example when the microwave died, I replaced it, not my housemate - in your situation these would also be halved. If I lived with my BF hobby costs would also go down (we could share a lot of the skateboarding, music and surfing gear so we would need less of it) as might going out/petrol costs as I presume we would go on less dates and the Petrol costs would go way down (currently every time I visit him it's $50 in petrol). Groceries and Lazy Food would also go down slightly (able to buy larger packets of things, consistently able to visit the markets - if I am busy I will end up at the supermarket paying more or I don't make my lunches, with two of us, hopefully one of us would be less busy and be able to sort it). Health insurance is less for couples too I think. Phone would go down as we could have one unlimited plan and one cheaper minutes plan between us. But $60k isn't bad given how expensive Perth is :S Hope all of this stuff was helpful for you and I look forward to meeting you this weekend :)
I did mean I got helpful facepunches, not that I didn't get any :) Feedback helped so much with identifying which areas were too high (everything, but some things more than others) and getting some more specific strategies to improve. It's like having a ton of financial advisors instead of one!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
Rocking a new bra! I bought panties to go with it, too. From now on, I'm only buying full-coverage underthings that are classy stylish. No more hot pink leopard prints for me! But, of course, I'll be wearing them until they fall apart and need replacing.

Granny panties <3

Total cost: 12,100w  ~$11.43 USD

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
Ugh.  I fell pretty badly on the stairs today and tore a small hole in my new tights.  Will have to figure out if I can patch them and how it'll look/hold up.

Curious about the success of patching up tights. Let us know how it goes!

(And are YOU okay?! Gosh...)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »
I do not need any more clothes, but this is a tough challenge for me.  I've been trying to keep myself to a clothes budget of < $150/mo and doing pretty well, but I really should just go cold turkey for a while, because I have noticed that new purchases tend to cascade into others.  I will give this a shot for 2014 with the following exceptions:

running shoes
bras

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2013, 05:56:55 AM »
I'm in!  My only exceptions are underwear and one pair of $50 work shoes (I am on my feet a lot). 

Miedinger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
Really excited to see this thread because I'm fairly into fashion and it's easily my largest discretionary expenditure.

I don't know if I can do a whole year, but I am definitely going to commit until April 1. I've realized that if I set overly ambitious goals for myself I'm too quick to break them. from now until April (four months) is a good balance between ambitious but doable, and will hopefully make me rethink how I spend.

My exceptions:
  • socks, as I fear I'm running out/they're all falling apart
  • plain black tights (sheerish) if they rip
  • clothing repairs or anything to extend the life/usage of my current wardrobe (tailoring things, getting shoes resoled)

I thought I'd also share some other things I'm already doing to save on clothing costs:
  • The French Wardrobe project, which stipulates only 5 pieces per fashion-industry season (so fall/winter and spring/summer, for a total of 2 seasons). It helps me plan purchases and cut down on unnecessary ones
  • Using tools like Hukkster that notify you of sales on specific items you track.
  • Buying a lot of things secondhand (eBay, Twice, Threadflip).
  • Air-drying most things—machine-drying is brutal for the lifespan of a lot of clothes (including bras!).
  • I keep a spreadsheet of every item in my wardrobe (excluding socks and underwear, but including bras). I started it when I was culling my wardrobe, and it helps me because every time I buy something I need to plan out how it fits into my entire wardrobe. I also keep info on price I bought it for/MSRP (so I can congratulate myself when I save money on a useful item). The psychological effort of having to add items to the spreadsheet is sometimes so much that I won't buy an item I'm on the fence about.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
I do not need any more clothes, but this is a tough challenge for me.  I've been trying to keep myself to a clothes budget of < $150/mo and doing pretty well, but I really should just go cold turkey for a while, because I have noticed that new purchases tend to cascade into others.  I will give this a shot for 2014 with the following exceptions:

running shoes
bras

I am finding this no where near as hard as I thought! Previously I would go to the store to buy something I had planned for. I would typically buy it and resist buying all the other things I had seen that day... however after a couple of days I would cave in and go back and buy some of the things I had seen while I was buying the original thing I "needed". So I totally get you when you say "new purchases cascade into others"

Not going shopping at all has pretty much made me not want things - because I really do have enough clothes to wear for each type of situation. I'm not sure how I'll go for the full 12 months as it's hard to predict the breakage rate (one of my three work dresses has jut broken in a way that is not mendable. I may be able to salvage it by turning it into a blouse, but I won't be able to fix it as a dress.) However I have very much broken the habit of shopping and it seems much easier than I thought it would be.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet of every item in my wardrobe (excluding socks and underwear, but including bras). I started it when I was culling my wardrobe, and it helps me because every time I buy something I need to plan out how it fits into my entire wardrobe. I also keep info on price I bought it for/MSRP (so I can congratulate myself when I save money on a useful item). The psychological effort of having to add items to the spreadsheet is sometimes so much that I won't buy an item I'm on the fence about.

I like this spreadsheet idea! I'm not very into fashion. In fact, until I replaced a bra that fell apart this week, I hadn't purchased any clothes or shoes since September 2012. But it appeals to me because I try to pare down my belongings a couple times a year, and itemizing a list would let me know exactly how many things I own, rather than just eyeballing that my wardrobe doesn't look stuffed. It might be impossible to retroactively assign prices, but future purchases could totally be recorded.

Neat idea.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:20 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet of every item in my wardrobe (excluding socks and underwear, but including bras). I started it when I was culling my wardrobe, and it helps me because every time I buy something I need to plan out how it fits into my entire wardrobe. I also keep info on price I bought it for/MSRP (so I can congratulate myself when I save money on a useful item). The psychological effort of having to add items to the spreadsheet is sometimes so much that I won't buy an item I'm on the fence about.
That is such a great idea! I'm totally going to build a spreadsheet this weekend! Although it's summer here in Australia & my winter clothes are all packed up, so they might have to wait a few months :)

Charlotte

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »
I went to the mall yesterday and purchased some underwear -- I am now fully stocked! Bring on the 2014 challenge!

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
I've unintentionally been doing this even though I said I wouldn't (couldn't). I really like my current wardrobe, the only complaint is how frequently I have to do laundry. If I could just duplicate a few of my most-worn pieces in new colors I would be set.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2013, 06:11:17 AM »
Hey Miedinger, I'm with you til April 1st! Although I have been doing this for the past four months too, so it will be 8 months for me. I also keep a spreadsheet like yours and I am fastidious about what gets to be part of my wardrobe.

Unfortunately I came across a > $500 pair of Phillip Lim oxfords recently that are my solemates (haha). Of course it is a ridic price, but now my general resistance has been weakened considerably and I am in danger of just overbuying on everything. Ever since I fel in love with and then subsequently tried to forget about these shoes, my groceries and toiletries categories have gone through the roof.

Anyone else get this?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:14:22 AM by Osprey »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2013, 06:28:51 PM »
Back in October, I said I did not care about clothes at all. Then, it got cold. I realized a few more warm work-appropriate clothes would help.

Some of the sweaters I bought in the past were bad choices. They don't fit well, and they don't look good on me. I have learned a lot. Now, I am being very picky about fit.

My summer wardrobe is great. I love it and can get back with very little for both work and personal. Now, I have to make some modifications to the winter wardrobe. (I'm doing Project 333.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
Hit an unexpected snag: I was sure that when I lost some weight, I would fit into a whole heap of pants that I had stashed away from more spendy days. Unfortunately, I seem to have skipped right over the point where they would have fit me, because they really don't fit me now! Well, they stay up okay, but they're hilariously baggy and definitely not office appropriate.

I know that this is a good thing (weight loss, yay!) but this could mean that I have to end the challenge part way through next year if enough of my clothes wear out completely. Right now I have two work skirts and about six or seven work dresses, so here's hoping that they all hold on long enough. There are still a few dresses that I don't quite fit yet but should in another five kilos time so they might scrape me through 2014.

Charlotte

« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2013, 04:46:54 AM »
Hi Happier! I don't think there is anything wrong with giving yourself a one time *out* of the challenge. Allow yourself $X to spend on clothing when you hit Y situation.

It is a really good problem you have -- congrats and keep up the good work!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »
Well I hit a snag a month or so back for a job interview, and made an exception. But I still intend to continue my no clothes buying in 2013 and continue on into 2014 for as long as possible.

So I think you can make up your own rules! The main idea is to stop mindlessly clothes shopping for no good reason and motivate towards mending, altering, repurposing and buying second hand if possible.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »
Check out thredup.com - I have bought several things for super cheap.   Gently used and sometimes new with tags clothing.  Like having a thrift store online, but everything has been prescreened.  Have had great results with quality, etc.  Buy my daughters clothes here now too.  And - you can send them things you no longer want/don't fit etc - and they will buy them from you.  Have been very happy!

I have bought many work appropriate items.  Also bought a few winter items for myself and my baby since we live in a warm climate but are spending the holidays in the cold visiting family.

Referral link for $10 for you/$10 for me if you are interested!

http://www.thredup.com/r/5J4JXT

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
HappierAtHome - Congratulations! That must feel good. And I think it's all about not buying unnecessary clothing. If you don't have anything that fits, well, that becomes a necessary purchase.

Side note: how are you at sewing? Anything you could make smaller? Sweaters you could purposely shrink? Haha! Or, perhapse you could get VERY crafty: http://jembellish.blogspot.ca/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

Also, according to the internets, you might be able to sell some things here: There's a top one in Perth called "Blue Betty". It's located in Wray Ave, Fremantle and always has gorgeous vintage clothes & accessories, plus she sells original jewellery too.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
I'm in!  I rarely buy clothes anyway, but this challenge would give me an extra push.

Exceptions:  undies, if necessary.  Also, I wear one pair of work out tights for ice hockey and for biking to work.  They were worn out *last* winter, but I plan to still wear them this winter.  They are close to threadbare, so I may have to get a new pair at some point.  I might have to buy a jersey for hockey.  That's it!

Who else is in??

I'm not going to make a special point of it, I already go months to years without buying anything as it is.  Other than a couple specific items that I might wear out, I probably have enough clothes to go the rest of my life without buying anything.  I've got perfectly serviceable jeans and t-shirts that are older than some of my co-workers!  Throw in a few gifts from relatives throughout the year and my pile of clothes keeps getting bigger and I'm not buying anything!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
HappierAtHome - Congratulations! That must feel good. And I think it's all about not buying unnecessary clothing. If you don't have anything that fits, well, that becomes a necessary purchase.

Side note: how are you at sewing? Anything you could make smaller? Sweaters you could purposely shrink? Haha! Or, perhapse you could get VERY crafty: http://jembellish.blogspot.ca/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

Also, according to the internets, you might be able to sell some things here: There's a top one in Perth called "Blue Betty". It's located in Wray Ave, Fremantle and always has gorgeous vintage clothes & accessories, plus she sells original jewellery too.

Good suggestions! Unfortunately my old clothes aren't even close to being stylish enough / designer to be sold at Blue Betty and similar places. I am, however, considering holding them for my sister who is trying to lose weight, as they should fit her at some point and she would welcome not having to buy new clothes along the weight loss journey.

Not much of a sewer (though I'm keen to learn and keeping my eyes open for well priced second hand machines). I think my strategy will be to hold out until I really HAVE to buy new work clothes, and buy them at op shops (our version of thrift shops) to minimise cost and waste.

And remind myself that it's a good problem to have :-) and I'm grateful that as I got bigger I started wearing dresses and skirts a lot more, because they fit for a lot longer on the way back down than pants do!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2013, 04:07:10 AM »
I'm underweight and trying to stick it back on, but my mum was lovely and helped me put elastic in my pants. Maybe you could see if any of your skirts already contain elastic and you can unstitch the seam, and shorten the elastic? Or have a go at hand sewing in some darts?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Happier - I think maintaining social acceptability at work is paramount.
Would even paying someone to take in your clothes be a good idea? You might be able to find a good dressmaker on gumtree who can help out. IMHO it's easy to make clothes smaller but I can't do it well enough that I would want to wear said clothes in a professional environment - your work sounds more dressy than mine. Otherwise can you ebay some of the old stuff (bonus - no more temptation to gain that weight back) and use those funds to replenish your wardrobe?

Everyone - I screwed up I decided to let myself buy a summer dress because I don't have any left and it's been super hot and I had a coupon for Target... $70 of my own money later :( It was a good reminder why I am doing this challenge... I just have no self control when it comes to clothes shopping. I can avoid the shops quite easily, but once I am in them, if I see stuff I like it's really hard to resist. I'm going to ebay and gumtree some stuff to make up (lower value stuff I wouldn't normally bother listing)...

I am also really motivated to continue the challenge, as it's been saving me a lot of money so far... Even with the $70 I spent, it's way down on what I would normally spend in a month so it certainly wasn't a case of being on a diet, not loosing weight and then eating the cheesecake ;-)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
I am also really motivated to continue the challenge, as it's been saving me a lot of money so far... Even with the $70 I spent, it's way down on what I would normally spend in a month so it certainly wasn't a case of being on a diet, not loosing weight and then eating the cheesecake ;-)

Continue the challenge? Based on the subject, I thought it didn't start until January

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Good point CanuckExpat.
Some of us were starting early, but since I have already failed, I'm going to just start over on Jan. 1 and succeed this time!!!!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
I was supposed to be starting early... But I guess I failed... 1 Jan here I come! Because I clearly have no self control when I enter a store and really do have enough stuff (except shoes/tights/underwear) to go a whole year!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »
Title implies 2014, but I think the first post discussed starting now.  That's why some of us pledged the "now" and set dates to reconsider the rest.  I pledged through the end of 2013.  Other than my brief bobble above (I bought tights, which was in the spirit still, and a $10 shirt, which was not), I've kept on the straight and narrow.  I am now committing to no purchases through March 2014, except I'll give myself a boots+$50 allowance for that time period.  I'm going to try to do without breaking into it, but it'll give me some leeway if I need to replace something without letting me into Ann Taylor (unless I'm on the clearance rank with a coupon, hmm....).

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
I'm totally IN. Start Jan 1.

I have many many new gift clothes that just don't fit right, I've been talking about taking to a seamstress to resize or do the simpler jobs myself on my sewing machine. That will be my project for 2014.

Nada, not even underwear or socks, i've got plenty. Plus I've about 100lbs of clothes I need to give to Goodwill. My active wardrobe isn't even that big - It's stuff like the skinny old pants I hope to fit into at some vague magical future date, gifts i feel guilty discarding, etc.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
I'm doing better than I thought I would. Bought the polarized sunglasses I needed, then a second pair because they're on sale (oops :) ). Haven't bought anything else! Not even the new shoes I need for work. A lack of time and access to shops seems to be the trick to making this challenge easy. I meant to pick up the clothes I need and start 1 Jan, but I seem to have started early.

bateloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
my first challenge - oh goody!
I know that putting your intention out there is a good way to be accountable.

I spent 2k on clothing in 2013
I plan to spend $200 in 2014.  $100 for me and $100 for dh   

I am losing weight and have smaller whole wardrobe in my basement waiting for me.
Lovely tops and pants that I bought on super clearance that don't fit me yet.
Things that don't quite fit me yet, things that really don't fit me yet, and things that . . well you get the picture!
The think is. . . I've been doing this for years.
I wonder what % of the 2k is on the basement rack!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »

I am losing weight and have smaller whole wardrobe in my basement waiting for me.
Things that don't quite fit me yet, things that really don't fit me yet, and things that . . well you get the picture!

If you have clothes waiting for you, I challenge you to plan to spend $0 instead of $200. :-)

paleogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »
I'm in, too! I won't even buy underwear or socks, because I have more than enough to last me a few years ... I have more than enough uniform pieces for work, and enough "regular" clothes for outside of work ... the only exception I'll make is if I am required to buy something for work, like a unit T-shirt ... Other than that, no more clothes-buying till 2015!

Miedinger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »
Unfortunately I came across a > $500 pair of Phillip Lim oxfords recently that are my solemates (haha). Of course it is a ridic price, but now my general resistance has been weakened considerably and I am in danger of just overbuying on everything. Ever since I fel in love with and then subsequently tried to forget about these shoes, my groceries and toiletries categories have gone through the roof.

Anyone else get this?

I actually noticed once I pledged to not buy until April 1 that my grocery expenses went up (started buying fancy cheeses, fancy tea, a ton of packaged snacks and candies). It's frustrating that when I try to isolate expenses in one area I seem to incur costs elsewhere anyway! I think it's because it's easy for me to get into this mindset of "oh, I'm being so virtuous in this one area"—and then I don't hold myself to as high standards in other areas. There's a well-documented "health halo" effect that happens when people who are trying to eat healthy choose a seemingly-nutritious food and then overeat; or maybe people who exercise and then eat a bunch of junk food.

Not sure what to do about it, except to gently reprimand myself and make a plan to do better.

Confession: I bought a sweater a few days ago. But I had major remorse the day after and I think the construction quality isn't great/won't hold up over a few wears and washes, so I'm returning it. Not as bad as it could've been—I still pay the costs of going to return it, though.

bateloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2013, 06:18:08 AM »

If you have clothes waiting for you, I challenge you to plan to spend $0 instead of $200. :-)

I'm returning the pair of jeans that I bought last week that are a few sizes smaller than I am.  They were only $10. 
I'm keeping the top I bought in a smaller size that now fits.  Yes I bought the same top in a smaller size.  Again, only $10.