Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177408 times)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:47 AM »
LOL :)

Nup I didn't, blessed with a pure mind.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
LOL :)

Nup I didn't, blessed with a pure mind.

Nothing impure about shopping in the clothing God gave you on the day you were born. :-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
Ok, ok, I'm joining!!!!!!!!!!

I can obtain new clothes just as long as I don't buy them, right? Like borrowing and bartering are ok, yeah>?

lauraredcloud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
I'm in! I used to buy clothes a lot for fun and general wardrobe updating, but according to the records I started keeping in June, I've managed to resist since then, except for a new T-shirt and shorts to run a 5k in. Fair.

- I can buy underwear as needed (but no more "fashion bras")
- I can buy a new pair of running shoes or sport bra if deemed necessary for fitness
- I can buy outerwear if deemed necessary for cold weather (though perhaps I can sneak this in before the end of 2013)
- I can accept gifts or hand-me-downs
- I can buy clothes *for other people* as gifts
- In the catastrophic event of work layoffs, I can buy an interview suit, but I hope I won't need to!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »
Well I'm still going strong with this challenge, but there's a potential threat looming. May have a job interview coming up, and all my work clothes are looking worn since I've been making do for quite a while.  They're only just cutting it at my current job, given I'm not trying for promotions etc, but I've nothing that will suffice for a high income type job interview. I'll try the second hand shops but I've never seen anything in them that would be suitable, but you never know.  I guess I may have to buy a suit:(   

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Happy - I once found a job interview blazer at a thrift shop. It cost me $4! Never say never :)

Is there anyone in your life that you could borrow a suit from?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
I'm glad there's hope Libraryjoy! I'll be looking for sure, you never know. Thats a good idea about borrowing too, I can't think of anyone with my dimensions right now, but I'll work on that one too.

Happyback

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »
I have found many GREAT office outfits in second hand stores!  Go try them out!  I've found some of the classiest dresses, skirts and blouses.  Beautiful stuff!
Sometimes, it helps to hit one in a neighboring town (if you happen to be there for other things), since it's a potential "future" thing, you do have some time to consider this if you're "out and about".

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
I am struggling so much with this challenge.

My exceptions were pretty much shoes and undies.

I bought a whole heap of underwear straightaway. Well, great, I needed it.

Now I've bought a couple of pairs of new work shoes, which were also a definite need.

What's the struggle part? I'm now suffering from serious temptation to go buy a million pairs of $200 black work shoes... because then I haven't failed the challenge.

Clearly my shopping addiction is worse than I thought :-(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »
This challenge will go well with my no clothes wearing 2014 challenge.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:11 AM »
Happier: Can you channel your shopping towards something that won't cost you money? Like attending home opens for houses that are out of your price range? Or help friends with shopping for things they need (for example helping a friend who is renovating hit up Bunnings and Harvey Norman?)
It's too early to say how I am going yet, I haven't really been tempted yet, but I started after you and have been busy with other things. (Although like you I have managed to buy a number of "exception" items such as underwear and shoes, that were needs.) But on the upside my USA holiday dates are locked in, so I might be ok as I can do lots of "shopping" for the holiday (e.g. hunting for the best hostel and cheapest hire cars and researching potential activities in each city.) This should satisfy my "hunting" instinct.... I hope!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »
Happier: Can you channel your shopping towards something that won't cost you money? Like attending home opens for houses that are out of your price range? Or help friends with shopping for things they need (for example helping a friend who is renovating hit up Bunnings and Harvey Norman?)
It's too early to say how I am going yet, I haven't really been tempted yet, but I started after you and have been busy with other things. (Although like you I have managed to buy a number of "exception" items such as underwear and shoes, that were needs.) But on the upside my USA holiday dates are locked in, so I might be ok as I can do lots of "shopping" for the holiday (e.g. hunting for the best hostel and cheapest hire cars and researching potential activities in each city.) This should satisfy my "hunting" instinct.... I hope!

Great idea... but the only people I know who are spending money really shouldn't be :-P so I don't want to encourage them.

Had a big think about this today and I think it's part of a bigger issue of unfocused energy since I finished my post-grad study. So I really need to find outlets for that energy OTHER than consumption of material goods.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
I remember feeling at a loose end when I finished university as well - it all felt very anti-climatic.
Do you have any hobbies that got pushed aside while you were studying that you could re-pick up? One that jumps out at me (for me) is visual arts. I used to do lots of it, but then work+study got in the way. (And re-picking up a hobby should be free coz you would already have all the stuff.) The other thing is, I think you said something about wanting to loose weight. How about picking up an inexpensive (or free) sporting hobby. There is an app called couch to 5k if you want to learn how to do long distance running. If you're more a group sport person, check out those groupon type sites, my friend generally averages $2 per class for various group fitness classes, yoga, zumba, bellydancing - she's done them all. Typically gets a 10 week class for $19.
I feel you though, I've had to consciously avoid the shops... hard to do when you work near them! I know I have a tendency to shop in order to de-stress after work if I've had a bad day. I've been telling myself, that buying stuff won't reduce stress only increase it (lower savings = more time to FI = more stress related to not being FI = more stuff to launder, hang and fold = more choice in the morning). I've also been listening to Pandora (free internet radio app) at work if I am stressed to nip it in the bud. Way harder to feel stressed when your fave tunes are playing :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
I remember feeling at a loose end when I finished university as well - it all felt very anti-climatic.
Do you have any hobbies that got pushed aside while you were studying that you could re-pick up? One that jumps out at me (for me) is visual arts. I used to do lots of it, but then work+study got in the way. (And re-picking up a hobby should be free coz you would already have all the stuff.) The other thing is, I think you said something about wanting to loose weight. How about picking up an inexpensive (or free) sporting hobby. There is an app called couch to 5k if you want to learn how to do long distance running. If you're more a group sport person, check out those groupon type sites, my friend generally averages $2 per class for various group fitness classes, yoga, zumba, bellydancing - she's done them all. Typically gets a 10 week class for $19.
I feel you though, I've had to consciously avoid the shops... hard to do when you work near them! I know I have a tendency to shop in order to de-stress after work if I've had a bad day. I've been telling myself, that buying stuff won't reduce stress only increase it (lower savings = more time to FI = more stress related to not being FI = more stuff to launder, hang and fold = more choice in the morning). I've also been listening to Pandora (free internet radio app) at work if I am stressed to nip it in the bud. Way harder to feel stressed when your fave tunes are playing :)

Lots of good advice here, but I'm in danger of hijacking the thread so I'm going to start posting about new projects/direction to avoid shopping in my journal instead :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »
Like I said, I'm merely challenging myself to a wardrobe of 33 clothes for a single month so far, but my partner had a brilliant idea...
So, shopping is fun, right? And so's changing up your wardrobe. Solution? Each month, I'm going to ditch my entire wardrobe (back into the rest of my clothes), then go shopping in this fantastic store (the giant pile of stored clothes) that has stuff that's all in my size, style, all my favourites - and I get a whole new (33-piece) wardrobe for the next month! I might extend this to 2 months if each month it becomes too much effort. That way, I get some variety, lots of clothes that I don't want to get rid of, but I can still live with a neat tiny wardrobe and don't run into choice-anxiety. Also, after completely removing clothes from my wardrobe for a month or so, I imagine I'll find it easier to actually get rid of pieces that just don't work for me any more.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »
Like I said, I'm merely challenging myself to a wardrobe of 33 clothes for a single month so far, but my partner had a brilliant idea...
So, shopping is fun, right? And so's changing up your wardrobe. Solution? Each month, I'm going to ditch my entire wardrobe (back into the rest of my clothes), then go shopping in this fantastic store (the giant pile of stored clothes) that has stuff that's all in my size, style, all my favourites - and I get a whole new (33-piece) wardrobe for the next month! I might extend this to 2 months if each month it becomes too much effort. That way, I get some variety, lots of clothes that I don't want to get rid of, but I can still live with a neat tiny wardrobe and don't run into choice-anxiety. Also, after completely removing clothes from my wardrobe for a month or so, I imagine I'll find it easier to actually get rid of pieces that just don't work for me any more.

I started doing this seasonally (every 3 months) and it's awesome!!  I wanted to get rid of most of my clothes for simplicity and decluttering purposes, but kept about 30-40 items per season and I just swap them out! It's like Christmas!!  Seeing your closet looking so tidy and bare with just a few clothes at a time is unbelievably easy and wonderful. The big key is to pick out a whole set of clothes that all match so you can make a lot of outfits.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »
I'm noticing that I shop "by accident" (aka forgetting about this challenge) so I'm going to use the rest of 2013 to practice NOT shopping, and reminding myself that this is happening! ;)

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
I have a list of items to purchase - well it's only 1 thing - the perfect black boots. If I don't find them, I will keep using my old ones. Otherwise, I'm joining the challenge. I have more clothes than I need and I need to get in the habit of wearing new combinations. I think this is a good challenge for me to attempt!

Looking forward to it!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
I'm noticing that I shop "by accident" (aka forgetting about this challenge) so I'm going to use the rest of 2013 to practice NOT shopping, and reminding myself that this is happening! ;)

What will your tactics be to stop yourself doing this?

My discretionary spending has been a little out of control lately and I'm thinking of sticking a post-it note with NO written on it onto my debit card :-P

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
HappierAtHome - that is such a good idea! My plan was to use mental reminders, but your post-it is reminding me of Gail Vaz-Oxlade's idea: put a note or picture on your visa of your GOAL. That way every time you want to spend, you come face to face with your goal :) I love that idea!

Haha well right now my visa is actually in ice in the freezer... but I need a way to control how I spend my cash. Note to self! Definitely doing that. Thanks for mentioning it!!!

I'm also planning two clothing swaps for next year. That will help.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
i'm in, sort of :) i'm in for my kids (4 of them). the rule is, their clothing is revenue neutral for the year. i have to sell enough to cover the cost of whatever they need.

for myself, i'll get a small budget at the first of the year and them im revenue neutral too. its tough with changing sizes!! (4 kids ages 6 and under) and I work in a business/business causal environment.

as far as the bras go...i have 4 that i've had for 4 years. they need to be replaced. i like to have 3-4 at a time, for daily wear and 2 sports bras that fit. bras will for sure be in my budget to replace the winter. then i'm looking for some clothes that are very "packable," ie can survive a bikeride in my backpack on the way to work and not require an iron when i change. might also need some windproof gloves for said bike rides.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »
I saw this thread pop up and realized I am not interested in clothes right now. At. all.

Before I started bad assing my finances in May, I was looking at ModCloth.com a few times a week. Now, I could not care less.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »

That happens to me with driving. I am doing a "no car" challenge and found myself unnecessarily in the car a few times.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2013, 12:00:11 AM »
HappierAtHome - that is such a good idea! My plan was to use mental reminders, but your post-it is reminding me of Gail Vaz-Oxlade's idea: put a note or picture on your visa of your GOAL. That way every time you want to spend, you come face to face with your goal :) I love that idea!

Haha well right now my visa is actually in ice in the freezer... but I need a way to control how I spend my cash. Note to self! Definitely doing that. Thanks for mentioning it!!!

I'm also planning two clothing swaps for next year. That will help.

Have you tried not carrying cash at all?

I have a tendency to treat myself to a diet coke at work for $1... which is something I want to cut out. So I no longer have coins in my wallet. I'm not willing to break a note for a coke. Problem solved!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
I'm doing a cash-only thing for my current budgeting system, so not carrying cash would mean grocery shopping and other life expenses would get a little more complicated.

Good idea, though!

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
I'm in!

My exceptions will be underwear and socks, but only if they need to be replaced. I own more than enough of everything else.

I am also going to have clear out of all my extra clothes, and either sell or donate them to free up one cash.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
I'm in.  I know I need a few things: new bras once LO finishes nursing (hoping for January or February), and three or four new t-shirts for next summer.  Other than that, I'm good for a year.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Ok, since 2013 was the year for expanding my wardrobe beyond tshirts and hoodies in an attempt to look more professional, I doubled my budget (to $1000), it killed me to spend money at all, but I did all shopping on ebay for a fraction of the cost of new. It makes sense that in 2014 I do this challenge to recoup my costs. Exceptions:

• apparel I make that I would wear for marketing at an event (business pays for)<-these being more hoodies and tshirts of course:)
  • under things

Lets see how well I do as this is my first challenge!

Koala0924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
One of my exceptions was scrubs. My work chooses a brand / color and we change uniforms every 6 months. I consider it a success that at the last changeover point myself and several coworkers convinced the higher ups to permanently have black pants as an option. As soon as the color and brand selection were announced I went thrift store shopping, and scored with a new lab coat and scrub top for $6. I also spent $12 over my employer subsidized $50 limit. So, my total scrub cost for the next 6 months?  $18!  I'm calling that a win.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
One of my exceptions was scrubs. My work chooses a brand / color and we change uniforms every 6 months. I consider it a success that at the last changeover point myself and several coworkers convinced the higher ups to permanently have black pants as an option. As soon as the color and brand selection were announced I went thrift store shopping, and scored with a new lab coat and scrub top for $6. I also spent $12 over my employer subsidized $50 limit. So, my total scrub cost for the next 6 months?  $18!  I'm calling that a win.

Seriously?  Why?  And why hasn't anyone gone ballistic on this?  Or demanded more $ for it?

Koala0924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »

Seriously?  Why?  And why hasn't anyone gone ballistic on this?  Or demanded more $ for it?

It's a smaller town, and believe it or not I work at the higher paying doctor's office. The other option in town is even worse with regards to pay / benefits / scrub allowance. Honestly, I campaigned at the 4 previous changeover points to have black pants as a permanent option. That was just instituted at the spring changeover. I'm now campaigning for us to choose a spring / summer color and a fall/ winter color. Thereby reducing waste and cost. Wish me luck.

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
You all are awesome! I'm still (two years later) filling in gaps for my first job out of college/major climate change move, but the best I can do for now is continue on my gradual budget reduction strategy. I spent half as much this year as I did the year before, and I think next year will be about half of this year. I'll read this thread when even that seems hard!

krenwren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I'll bite.  I am lucky in I wear scrubs to work and have no need to augment my current supply.
I don't shop much but when I do, I tend to spend a lot!  I have a "uniform" of jeans, blouse or T of some sort and flats in the winter and flip flops in the summer.  I have plenty of cold weather gear so I have no reason to get the latest and greatest.  My top collection is pretty sparse so I vow to only buy on ebay or thrifts if I need to add.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »
i'm in for my kids

I've also decided my children are joining this challenge with me in 2014 terms of new clothes.  Exceptions are underwear and shoes for them.  It will probably not work, as they are going to outgrow everything they have, but I'll do my best to get any necessary replacements at thrift shops and see how it goes.  They've had growth spurts and are entering a stage at school where certain clothes are "needed" to be cool, unfortunately, and I've spent over $1300 for their clothes and shoes this year.  That level of spending will absolutely not be repeated.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 07:12:55 AM »
I was reviewing and deleting bad digital photos the other day. This gave me the chance to see me in some of my project 333 outfits. The woman who created Project 333 knows what she is doing. Although I have fewer clothes now, I think I look much better dressed. As a result, I could see myself making it even longer without buying new clothes. Since last May, I've bought probably fewer than 5 clothing items at thrift stores. I am changing over to the winter clothing now, and I am thinking I might not need anything new. I *might* need a pair of warm pants since I do a lot of walking while commuting...but maybe I don't.

Also, someone gave me a cool sweater last year for xmas. The color doesn't look great on me. The old me would have given the sweater away. The new me is thinking maybe I could dye it purple or another color that tends to look better with my skin tone.

If anyone can recommend a dye for a wool sweater, please let me know!

Allison_D

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
I'm in!  I'm starting now though... as much as I love Mr. Money Mustache's principals I sometimes go 'off the rails' a bit and this is an area that I didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped with this year.  So, I'm starting now and going right through 12/31/14.  I'm throwing my kids in the mix too!  (Little do they know... ha ha ha).  Our exceptions are... underwear & socks all around if needed and second hand items for the kids if they continue to grow FAST.  I've never really done much second hand clothes shopping so this will be a great way to explore that as an option.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling!  Good luck everyone!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Instead of buying new jeans, I've decided to fix my old pairs (mail them to someone to fix them).  The process is expensive, but it's much less than I would spend to buy a single new pair of jeans (repairing two).  I looked into fixing them myself, but I don't have access to a sewing machine (or any sewing skill). 

As a side note, I work in a VERY casual work place and wear jeans to work every day.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
I was reviewing and deleting bad digital photos the other day. This gave me the chance to see me in some of my project 333 outfits. The woman who created Project 333 knows what she is doing. Although I have fewer clothes now, I think I look much better dressed. As a result, I could see myself making it even longer without buying new clothes. Since last May, I've bought probably fewer than 5 clothing items at thrift stores. I am changing over to the winter clothing now, and I am thinking I might not need anything new. I *might* need a pair of warm pants since I do a lot of walking while commuting...but maybe I don't.

Also, someone gave me a cool sweater last year for xmas. The color doesn't look great on me. The old me would have given the sweater away. The new me is thinking maybe I could dye it purple or another color that tends to look better with my skin tone.

If anyone can recommend a dye for a wool sweater, please let me know!

Wool dyes beautifully! You can even use kool aid to dye (google it). Otherwise, most people use Jacquard brand dyes for protein fibers.

Thank you, serpentstooth!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30:41 AM »
Score! A friend just have me a whole bunch of her old stuff. Some of it needs mending/altering, but a lot of it is good as is. Just getting through wearing all this stuff should take me a few months and help keep me on the straight and narrow :-)
How is everyone else doing? Has anyone else managed to be innovative?

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
I am in and it WILL be a challenge for me. I may have to buy hosiery if I go through all mine although I am a pro at making them last.  Thanks for the challenge!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

I don't know about innovative, but I'm definitely wearing a wider variety of clothes from my wardrobe than I used to. It's also inspired me to be realistic and get rid of the clothing I was just never ever going to wear again :-P I'm taking a couple items out of my wardrobe each week to add to the charity pile. So I think that I'm doing well so far!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
I'm cautiously joining…I've lost a ton of weight over the last few months and the majority of my clothes fit me again, so I really don't think I'll actually need anything new.  I've only bought 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants since July, so I pretty much stopped shopping cold turkey anyway.  Of course it helps that I've bought whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it for the past several years before I turned Mustachian.  ;)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2013, 03:15:51 AM »
I might be making a trip to visit my family in America some time in January, and I know when I'm there I'll seek out shoes suitable for work. My feet are too big for shoes in South Korea, and buying them online has been disappointing so far (ill-fitted and low quality). I need a pair of perfect maryjanes since mine died, as I've been wearing the same pair of SAS black loafers to work every day for over a year. (Except for days when I've worn sneakers--I'm a teacher with a semi-casual dress code.)

I'll probably also try to buy at least one more pair of work-appropriate slacks (I mostly wear dark jeans now--not sure if my new job will be keen on that) and a properly fitting blazer.

Oof!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2013, 04:17:07 AM »
Ok, 'fessing up for a face punch...had to break the pledge, job interview in 2 days and despite spending some time looking in second hand shops, no luck.  So purchased the job interview suit and blouse...25% off, better than nothing. But have suitable shoes. However apart from this, I'm still  continuing to try not to buy anything else until next year. At that point I think I will have to refresh my work wardrobe which is looking pretty tired.  For example I have a nice stretchy top which was getting saggy so I sewed tape across the shoulders to pull it back into shape so I will get some more wear out of it. Non work gear will be fine for ages...I'm not very fussy about that.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

I'm good!  I haven't bought anything, even my permitted items (largely because I haven't gone shopping.  Amazing how that works.  I was discouraging my husband from going to the outlets this weekend too.)  I might decide to break my rules though and buy some warm tights in order to make more use of my skirts.  I have a lot of warm woolen warms, but in Massachusetts it's too cold to wear in the winter.  I was wearing some black nylons earlier, but discovered at the end of the day a big hole in the toe of a brand new one, plus it's not nearly so warm.  I'm afraid if I do that though, I'll decide I "need" boots to replace my 11 year old threadbare ones.

What I have done is try to wear some clothes I haven't worn as much.  I'm also going to try to layer my clothes more than just "shirt+sweater."  This was an inspiration: www.theuniformproject.com/  365 days of the same dress but so jazzed up!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
How do you feel about stockings+garters? I have black wool stockings, which are much more comfortable and much warmer than any tights I've ever owned.

Hmm, I may not know the terminology well enough, because to me the stockings are the same as tights - warm leggy things that cling to the legs but aren't thin like nylons (I guess stockings could be another term for nylons?).  Garters I think of as only going halfway up the thigh and not adding the key "warmth" value.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
Interesting, at least with nylons, I almost always get the runs in the toes, no where else.  I am not sure that stockings would work for me though.  I live in Boston and it's COLD here in the winter.  I just can't envision having any bare skin (I understand it's covered by a skirt, but the wind blows up it and, *shivers*.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
I'm in for 2013.  I will have to evaluate at the beginning of 2014 for 2014.  Rules are no new clothes, except:
  • A pair of work pants (I need to replace several worn out ones I just got rid of)
  • Up to 2 sweaters (I've been looking for ones I will like for 2 years.  I'm picky.  I don't anticipate using this exclusion)
  • A bathing suit (replacing the one that finally died), if I stumble across one out of season
  • Thrift store purchases.  I've only ever bought one thing once (largely due to inconvenience of getting there), so maybe this will encourage me to go there.

Note that underwear is NOT excepted.  I have plenty (thanks to Victoria's Secret for frequently sending me freebies, and the semi-annual sales for bras).

I specifically invite and request facepunches for buying any new dresses - in 2013 or 2014.  I tallied it up, and I added 50% more to my dress collection this year.  I bought *6* between May-Aug (all deals, on sale, but!), bringing my dress tally to 17 (although the collection at least does range back pretty far, to 1998 when in college and includes a hand-me-down).

I've failed this one.  This weekend we went outlet shopping.  I bought a pair of work pants, which was alloted above.

Not on list though:
  • I bought 4 sweaters, which were desperately needed.  (I actually bought 5, but plan to return one bought in the first store.)  I can now retire 4 of my old, dingy, stained sweaters that I really shouldn't have been pushing and wearing to the office.  I wear sweaters year round thanks to the climate control in the office, so I'm ok with going 2 over my self-imposed limit.  I said only 2 above because I haven't found any I've liked in over 5 years, so I doubted I'd find many this year.
  • Tights.  I tore two nylons and wanted to replace them, and as described on other posts here, was contemplating getting some tights so I could wear my skirts longer.  I have quite a few warmer wool skirts my mom made for me, but never wear because of the cold in the fall.  Purchasing tights (and replacing the nylons) will allow me to wear more of my wardrobe year round, so it's a permissible break in my mind.
  • Sleeveless top.  This is where I really failed.  I bought a beautiful sleeveless top on the clearance rack of Ann Taylor for 50% for $12.50.  I am in the habit of checking the clearance rack because I get great deals (like a $5 knit shirt when combined with other deals).  It saves me money in the long run, because I buy before I'm desperate (hello day before interview when I realize I didn't fit my suit).  But, this was a non-permissible purchase per the spirit and letter of my self-imposed rules for the challenge.

Getting back on the bandwagon, I have no excuses to buy any clothes for the rest of the year though.

Charlotte

« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:42 AM »
I bought socks a few weeks ago and plan to pick up some underwear before the year ends. I should be in really good shape for this to start on January 1st. Again, my only exception is sneakers since I walk 3 miles/day (either on the treadmill or outside in nicer weather).

I've put a limit on myself for buying books next year, too (one per month, plus one for my birthday, christmas, and one extra for the heck of it -- only 15 books next year!)

And I really want an ipad. But I've decided I can't get one until I am debt free (in about 2 years). And by then I might not even want one any more!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2013, 03:45:45 AM »
Charlotte: Go to the library ;-) Could you get an older ipad second hand and use this to read free ebooks on. All of the classics are available for free and Amazon often has free offers (or very cheap, like $1). The cost of a second hand ipad should be less than the cost of 15 books.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!