Author Topic: No clothes shopping December  (Read 7506 times)

Juslookin

• Bristles
No clothes shopping December
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
In anticipation of trying a "No Clothes Shopping - 2017" I thought I might start off small and try a month first.  Baby steps.

About me, I work in a corporate job, middle management. I have telecommuted most of the past 15 years, so for all that time I only needed a few decent clothes for work.  The past six months have found me on a project for work that has had me traveling to all of our branches and in various upper level management meetings.  So I went shopping....and shopping....and shopping.  I have always been a borderline clothes whore and this pushed me over the edge.  Too much shopping.  Too many clothes.

So instead of crying myself to sleep every night over the money wasted, I am going to stop shopping and put my energy into saving the money I would have spent.  Face punches are not needed, I have a paid in full home, solid 401K and shopping has always been done in cash, it's just such a waste, I don't know what overcame me.

I know December is the month of ridiculous consumer overspending, but does anyone else want to join me for my no clothes (or shoes or bags) shopping December?

Juslookin

• Bristles
Re: No clothes shopping December
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
"Unsubscribe" is my mantra this afternoon.  Again and again today, I have found the tiny, itty bitty, little print at the bottom of umpteen emails to get off the mailing lists that tempt me to shop.  I figure taking a personal stand on Cyber Monday is just the thing to get me kick started for December and beyond.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I'll join; although I don't expect it to be much of a challenge. I don't buy clothes most months, and got my maternity clothes last month.  But still, this will hold me to it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »
I am joining you as well!  No clothes shopping in December, no exceptions!  I truly do not need anything at all at this point.  I was on the verge of needing new pants and bras in October because of weight gain but was able to lose a few pounds in November and my current wardrobe is fitting much better now. 

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »
I am joining you as well!  No clothes shopping in December, no exceptions!  I truly do not need anything at all at this point.  I was on the verge of needing new pants and bras in October because of weight gain but was able to lose a few pounds in November and my current wardrobe is fitting much better now.

Congrats on the weight loss, that's my focus this month.  Well, I don't gain weight so much as it seems to move around.  Then my pants get too tight.  I need to get my butt on the treadmill....I see another challenge in my future.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »

Congrats on the weight loss, that's my focus this month.  Well, I don't gain weight so much as it seems to move around.  Then my pants get too tight.  I need to get my butt on the treadmill....I see another challenge in my future.

Thanks, if you are interested, join us on the Whole 30 thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 02:10:27 PM »
"Unsubscribe" is my mantra this afternoon.  Again and again today, I have found the tiny, itty bitty, little print at the bottom of umpteen emails to get off the mailing lists that tempt me to shop.  I figure taking a personal stand on Cyber Monday is just the thing to get me kick started for December and beyond.

Yes, unsubscribing is very helpful :-)  I also installed an ad blocker on my computer at work and at home which helps with the temptation too. 

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
I will join, I was also aiming to not buy new clothes in 2017 so may as well start now

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:09:34 AM »
I was able to download an ad blocker on my iPad as well last night.  That was the last device where random ads would pop up tempting me to shop.  And I'm pretty much unsubscribed from all shopping e-mails - I've been doing that for some time now. 

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
I was able to download an ad blocker on my iPad as well last night.  That was the last device where random ads would pop up tempting me to shop.  And I'm pretty much unsubscribed from all shopping e-mails - I've been doing that for some time now.

I have to figure out the ad blocker, I need that too. It's on my list of things to do this week. I have found that shopping has become a bad habit.  I noticed this morning, when I wake up I roll over and check my emails. Without realizing I was doing it, checking for sales had become part of my daily routine.  Not cool. So I am working on new routines.  I got up this morning pretty early and jumped on the treadmill.

Thanks for the invite to the Whole 30, I checked it out a little.  I don't think it's possible for me in the month of December.  I would be setting myself up for failure and I need to research it a little more.  I'm already gluten free for almost 4 years, diagnosed with Celiac. I may follow along on the thread though for some healthy motivation.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I'll join; although I don't expect it to be much of a challenge. I don't buy clothes most months, and got my maternity clothes last month.  But still, this will hold me to it.

Congrats on the pregnancy. I'm glad you're joining in. It shouldn't be a challenge for me either, I have plenty.  It's the psychological challenge that I have to get over, oh, and I have to tone up a little so my pants continue to fit me. I refuse to buy bigger.  That should help me too. :)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
Well, I have cut myself off cold turkey. I don't think it has possibly set in though, I just went shopping last weekend and then decided enough was enough.  I have tried this before in my own mind and was terribly unsuccessful.  I was hoping that declaring it to y'all would force me to see it through.

I don't know why I fail at this.  It seems like it should be very simple, I don't need more clothes.  I don't need a new set of dishes so I don't buy that, why isn't it the same? What is it about new clothes that make you feel so good? Is it the shopping or the wearing?  Does anybody else struggle like this? Thoughts?

I haven't bought anything.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »
I'm in. Although I know my mom got me a new pair of running shoes for Christmas ( she asked what I needed/ I sent her the link to the sale...) so as long as that doesn't count.

I'm a professor, I like to look nice. I have a lot of black and neutral pieces. I do NOT NEED anymore clothes. I think I'll be easy. I need to stay out of the stores and like some of you mentioned, start hitting unsubscribe on emails.

I also have three kids and a husband, I'm going to join in this challenge to not buy them any clothing either for this month.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:43 AM »
Well, I have cut myself off cold turkey. I don't think it has possibly set in though, I just went shopping last weekend and then decided enough was enough.  I have tried this before in my own mind and was terribly unsuccessful.  I was hoping that declaring it to y'all would force me to see it through.

I don't know why I fail at this.  It seems like it should be very simple, I don't need more clothes.  I don't need a new set of dishes so I don't buy that, why isn't it the same? What is it about new clothes that make you feel so good? Is it the shopping or the wearing?  Does anybody else struggle like this? Thoughts?

I struggle with clothes.  I've been gaining weight over the last few years due to menopause and my body is generally changing, so I keep on searching for things that will make me look better (slimmer, younger, prettier...).  But it's a losing battle and I just need to reconcile myself to the fact that clothes will not make me go back in time :-)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Here we go December 1st. So I am traveling out of town this week. I suddenly realized that I did not pack exactly the right thing to wear while I am at this office.  Suddenly everything I packed for work seems to be too much, this office is very casual.  So my initial thought was that I would just run out after work and pick up a casual pair of flats and a long sleeve shirt to wear. Then I realized that I have created a habit of shopping whenever and wherever I go.  So I will just suck it up and wear what I don't necessarily want to wear, but is very nice and will cover my body. Isn't that the real point to clothes anyway.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 04:48:26 AM »
Here we go December 1st. So I am traveling out of town this week. I suddenly realized that I did not pack exactly the right thing to wear while I am at this office.  Suddenly everything I packed for work seems to be too much, this office is very casual.  So my initial thought was that I would just run out after work and pick up a casual pair of flats and a long sleeve shirt to wear. Then I realized that I have created a habit of shopping whenever and wherever I go.  So I will just suck it up and wear what I don't necessarily want to wear, but is very nice and will cover my body. Isn't that the real point to clothes anyway.

Good job, Juslookin!  It's tough when you find yourself in that situation, but at least you're overdressed v underdressed, which would be much worse!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
Thank you ZiziPB.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 05:43:26 AM »
A moral conundrum to ponder. This week I get an email at work, it says how great I've done and gives me 400 points to choose something from the catalog. A lot of the items are not anything I would buy, then I notice gift cards. I can get a $100. gift card to one of my favorite clothes shopping spots. However, I think that is breaking my own rule against shopping.

I dig deeper to see if I can make this gift useful or practical in some way, nope. I would love a gift card for Amazon, I would order food, but alas, not an option. So here I sit having chosen nothing.

What's your thoughts?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 05:59:52 AM »
Do they have any gift cards that you could use for Christmas gifts for others?

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
I'm in. I definitely won't be buying new clothes this December, perhaps not at all in 2017.

I just posted something of a similar goal in another forum. So you can check out my story here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/buy-nothing-year/

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
Do they have any gift cards that you could use for Christmas gifts for others?

Nope. Although my mom asked me what I wanted and I asked for a Costco gift card. I'm going to donate what would have been a gift for me to the household food budget. So I could justify it like that, I gave up my gift and the universe gave me another one 😄.

On the other hand I've gifted myself all year long.  I also hate to do any shopping, I'm afraid I won't be able to stop.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »
I'm in. I definitely won't be buying new clothes this December, perhaps not at all in 2017.

I just posted something of a similar goal in another forum. So you can check out my story here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/buy-nothing-year/

Glad to have you aboard. I'm also planning for 2017 clothes shopping ban. It seems like a bit of an impossibility,but I'd like to set the personal challenge.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »

It is likely a combination of behavioural (habitual), and also emotional factors. Have you noticed yourself feeling an urge or desire to shop certain times of the day or week? For instance is it something you do on the way home at the end of a tough work week? Is it something you do as a hobby to pass the time when you are bored? Do you find yourself shopping when you are feeling anxious or depressed about something going on in your life? These are just an example of a few questions you can reflect on (no need to answer!).

If your reason for shopping is more behavioural, it will likely be a bit easier to stop the behaviour than if it is emotional. What you will need to do is change your habits (ie if you are visiting certain websites then block them on your computer, or if you are walking by your favourite store on your route home then you can change your route or walk with a friend who hates shopping!).

Quitting a behaviour is often more complex for people than just "stopping". It usually isn't just a matter of willpower (though popular discourse will make it sound this simple). Individuals with higher degrees of self-control will usually have an easier time with curbing "problematic" behaviours. With those who have a more impulsive phenotype facing more difficulties.

There are probably some cognitive-behavioural therapy programs online that may be helpful. Or a good psychoanalyst can help you explore all the complex subconscious underlying reasons for seemingly basic conscious decisions. I love psychoanalysis. :P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »
This reminds me of a shopping tactic I used to employ years ago. A friend and I used to make a day of shopping for every single thing on our respective lists. Since neither of us liked to shop (we both had retail histories), we were always in danger of finding stuff for ourselves as long as we were in the stores. Why yes, this was in olden-time pre-internet days. Our shtick was that neither of us could buy anything for ourselves, or each other. If we were successful, we'd treat ourselves to a nice dinner at the end of the day. It worked. The day of getting it all done and dining together was our gift. We live too far away from each other to do this any more, but we have some great memories from those days. My point is that having a like-minded buddy made it fun, not a chore. See if you can enlist a real-life friend to take on the challenge. It will make the journey easier.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 10:53:24 PM »
Good idea. I'm in. One month...baby steps!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:59 PM »
I don't recall buying any new clothes in 2016.  Added 6 figures to the stache instead. Keep it up people - it works!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »
Oh and not a single haircut either.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 12:00:26 AM »
I'm in as well. I might even try to turn it into a "buy nothing" month

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 03:06:43 AM »

I definitely could not do that - short hair needs regular cutting :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »

I had very short hair at the start of the year. I have very long hair now.

It will get short again sometime next summer.

It only NEEDS cutting to stay short.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 06:05:33 AM »
I'm in as well. I might even try to turn it into a "buy nothing" month

I've asked for a pair of hair clippers for Xmas for this reason. Going to try to learn to do my own hair, though I may only have the skills for buzz cuts lol

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »
Decided on the way to work this morning I wanted new leggings and underwear, as with the pregnancy (24 weeks now) both of mine aren't fitting great.  Then I remembered this thread. Guess I'm waiting until January to see if the urge to get them is still there.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »

I had very short hair at the start of the year. I have very long hair now.

It will get short again sometime next summer.

It only NEEDS cutting to stay short.
I look terrible with long hair.  So it's staying short and neat.  I stopped coloring almost 6 years ago so it's mostly gray.  Believe me, I can pull off the gray and neat style but gray and unkempt is not a good professional look :-)  Maybe when I FIRE...

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
A moral conundrum to ponder. This week I get an email at work, it says how great I've done and gives me 400 points to choose something from the catalog. A lot of the items are not anything I would buy, then I notice gift cards. I can get a $100. gift card to one of my favorite clothes shopping spots. However, I think that is breaking my own rule against shopping.

I dig deeper to see if I can make this gift useful or practical in some way, nope. I would love a gift card for Amazon, I would order food, but alas, not an option. So here I sit having chosen nothing.

What's your thoughts?

I sell unwanted gift cards for cold hard cash on cardpool.com. We received a bunch from our baby shower for places we never shop and sold them for cash for the college fund instead.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 03:39:20 PM »

What's your thoughts?

I sell unwanted gift cards for cold hard cash on cardpool.com. We received a bunch from our baby shower for places we never shop and sold them for cash for the college fund instead.

This is a great idea. Thanks!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
I'm in. Although I know my mom got me a new pair of running shoes for Christmas ( she asked what I needed/ I sent her the link to the sale...) so as long as that doesn't count.

I'm a professor, I like to look nice. I have a lot of black and neutral pieces. I do NOT NEED anymore clothes. I think I'll be easy. I need to stay out of the stores and like some of you mentioned, start hitting unsubscribe on emails.

I also have three kids and a husband, I'm going to join in this challenge to not buy them any clothing either for this month.

Day 9 and nothing for me or my family. Today was my last day of work until January 9th, and one of my co workers got me a very pretty blue scarf. I didn't buy it for  myself, but it's nice. I took in about 15-18 peices to a local nicer consignment shop. I'll check back in a month. Some were too big, some too small, some I just  didn't like and hadn't worn. I also have a bag started for the goodwill. Maybe during semester break I can clean some more items out.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
How is everyone doing?  I have been doing fine so far but feeling stressed at work today and thinking about some shopping therapy :-)   Trying to stay off any shopping sites...

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
I'm still good. I haven't bought anything for me or the kiddos or my husband. I know that I'm getting a new pair of running shoes for Christmas from my mom ( bc she told me to send me a link to the ones I want) and my sister in law is buying my older two daughters an outfit for Christmas ( they are 11 and 9 and love old navy's puffy vests....) .  My husband got a free tshirt from work he can wear on Friday's during December. I have an ugly sweater I've worn like 4 years in a row for holiday parties, which I will wear again this season.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm already committed to a no clothes shopping 2017, so figured I would join this too! I have more than enough clothes for pretty much any occasion I can think of, so I don't anticipate this being difficult. It's just that in the past I would often buy a shirt or two every time there was a J. Crew Factory or Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy sale, even when I didn't really need one. It was a small but regular bleed on the budget. No more!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
Well, I'm here to post an update.  I bought something.  I almost didn't confess this, but I really want to reform my ways, so I am confessing it. I was shopping with my daughter and saw a pair of jeans I told myself I needed and I bought them.  I've already worn them three times so there is no returning them.

First, let me explain my 16 year old daughter's shopping.  I got tired of the spending on her clothes, she didn't buy things a lot, she prefers yoga pants and free t-shirts, but she often decided she had needs at inopportune times in my budget, so I calculated a clothing allowance for her that she get's monthly.  She saves it up for things like homecoming dresses and uses it to fill gaps in her wardrobe.  She hadn't bought anything at back to school, she had been saving, so this trip was essentially to purchase some winter things.  This plan was actually pure genius because it has completely alleviated any stress I might have felt about her spending in the past and it has taught her to work within her means.

So anyway, I was with her at the mall and I caved. I didn't post this for a week as I considered my failings.  I have decided to just get back on the wagon.  I am not justifying the purchase, they only cost $24.00 after coupons and sales yadda yadda yadda, but I am not going to vilify myself either. I will finish out December purchasing nothing else, and I fully intend to start 2017 as a no buy clothing year. I'm not sure if a whole year is realistic for me.  It may morph into a only purchasing replacements and worn out things, maybe some undies, but I'm going to figure out my own rules in the next two weeks and either start a thread for the year, or jump on one if someone else started one.  Overall December is an improvement, but not enough for me, so I will try again and try harder. 

I will say this, I was back at the mall this weekend with my husband, who NEVER shops, but had to buy a blazer for a work function.  So there we were and my guilt was so strong over cheating before, that I bought nothing.  It felt good. I need to focus on the feel good feeling.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:00:15 AM by Juslookin »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
Don't beat yourself up, Juslookin.  Rome wasn't built in a day...  Just keep on going, as best as you can.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
Don't beat yourself up, Juslookin.  Rome wasn't built in a day...  Just keep on going, as best as you can.

That's the plan.  It's funny, I have such willpower in some ways, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about four years ago and never, ever knowingly put another piece of gluten in my mouth.  And that is no small feat, I'm Italian, my teething ring was crusty bread. :)

It's just this thing with clothes. No, I'm not beating myself up.  I just felt like if I'm going to do this I have to be honest with myself that I am holding myself back from what I want to achieve.  Therefore, the confession. Moving forward.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
Email from banana republic, I have $75.00 in rewards. I held a pair of jeans in the store and then didn't pick them up. WooHoo!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 07:05:55 AM »
Doing pretty well with this.  I've actually been surprised that a few times I've WANTED to buy stuff (because like I said- I don't think I buy clothes very often); but even with such great sales going on, I haven't.

I have all the maternity clothes I need, and I have no idea what size I will be post-pregnancy, so it doesn't make sense to buy clothes, even on sale.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »
I have done well so far.  Avoiding stores, tossing any catalogs into recycling before they even enter the house and deleting any advertising e-mails is working well for me. 

I think I am also finally ready to throw in the towel and acknowledge that I am who I am and new clothes will not make me younger, thinner, prettier, etc.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
I have done well so far.  Avoiding stores, tossing any catalogs into recycling before they even enter the house and deleting any advertising e-mails is working well for me. 

I think I am also finally ready to throw in the towel and acknowledge that I am who I am and new clothes will not make me younger, thinner, prettier, etc.

I'm still struggling with the fact that I think new clothes will make me feel more stylish, feel more powerful and just generally feel better.   Which is just silly because I generally feel pretty good about myself.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
I have an interesting problem. Buying no clothes should have been easy for me. But I have taken up winter-bathing and a pair $5 bathing-slippers would really improve the experience.

Are slippers clothes? My conscience tells me that they are.

And to make matters worse I have decided to try for a "buy-nothing" year in 2017 :(

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »
I have an interesting problem. Buying no clothes should have been easy for me. But I have taken up winter-bathing and a pair $5 bathing-slippers would really improve the experience.

Are slippers clothes? My conscience tells me that they are.

And to make matters worse I have decided to try for a "buy-nothing" year in 2017 :(

I'm uncertain what bathing slippers are.  Are they rubber thongs? Flip flops?  Do you already own something else that might fit the bill?

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »
Something like flip flops would do the job nicely. Essentially something made from plastic with a sole to put on my feet.

I have looked through my nonexistent shoe collection and nothing fits the bill so far. Being a minimalist there really is nothing in the house that would work.

This actually belongs under a mustachian-minimalist people problems thread. :)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »
Well, here we are, December 28th. I was attempting a no clothes buying December, which did not seem possible.  And let's be honest, it wasn't possible because very early on in the challenge I faltered.  However, I got back on the wagon and it has become easier and easier for me.  I have filled my time with things other than browsing sales and I have stopped all of those incoming emails enticing me to buy this or that.

So with just a few days left in the month, I know I will finish up the month without any more shopping.  While I didn't succeed entirely, I made excellent progress.  I am going to head into 2017 with a No Clothes Buying challenge for the year.  I will probably allow for replacements of necessities as they are damaged or wear out, things like socks, black pants or white shirts.  Just basics that are needed.  I don't really see anything being needed in the future right now and will continue to consider what my rules will be.  I hope to see you on the flip side in a no clothes buying thread for 2017.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:29:15 PM by Juslookin »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!