Author Topic: No Clothes Buying 2021 - Anyone Else In?  (Read 15247 times)

Dreamer40

• Bristles
Re: No Clothes Buying 2021 - Anyone Else In?
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:20 PM »
I’m making it through February without any clothing-buying temptation. My spending is too focused on my garden instead. That’s my new weak spot. But at least that over-spending gets me outside.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2021, 03:20:33 AM »
I’m making it through February without any clothing-buying temptation. My spending is too focused on my garden instead. That’s my new weak spot. But at least that over-spending gets me outside.
Same here! And we are about one month early for garden prep yet.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:55 AM »
Went into Muji to pick up running socks [on the allowed list] and bought 3 t-shirts as well. Back on the no new clothes horse for March.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2021, 01:03:20 AM »
Still going strong. I bought way too much yarn, so I’m going to try my hand at knitting a sweater. Does that count?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2021, 06:44:29 AM »
Still going strong. I bought way too much yarn, so I’m going to try my hand at knitting a sweater. Does that count?

Not in my books--that's a great project!

I make it through February with no troubles.
Reconstructed two of my partners *holey* merino wool base layers (which were headed for the trash) into one top for me..creative restructuring!

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2021, 03:22:42 AM »
Joining. First two months were easy, it seems that I managed to lose interest in clothes over the past couple of years (still managed to buy an extra pair of snickers in 2020...).
I might need new winter shows in the fall if I move but that’s probably it.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »
No clothes bought in February!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
I'm a little late here, but I'm joining! No clothes purchased yet in 2021, and really no valid reason to purchase any. So this will be a good motivation to stick to my plan!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:21 PM »
No clothes so far, no reason to worry I might be tempted this month either.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
Finally redeemed myself and made it through February with no clothing related purchases. Hopeful for March as well!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2021, 09:23:19 PM »
   I’m starting now!  I’m actually starting a low buy year right now, but I am including attempting to buy no clothes.  I do have 2 pairs of work shoes that have already been ordered but haven’t come yet. 
   I’m excited to see how I do!

nessa

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2021, 06:43:38 AM »
One planned purchase: four new bras. I bought a $50 gift card at the grocery (5% cash back match on that), Kohls was having a sale, and I added a 20% coupon. Total cash out of pocket (not counting the GC): $12.02. I couldn't try them on and I had to get two different band sizes, but they fit and I can trash my old, too big bras (nine of them!).

Undies are my other planned purchase for the year, again when they go on sale. I did some research online when I was planning my Kohl's shop and I know what kind of sale / discount I'm waiting for.

In other news I donated three trashbags-worth of clothes yesterday.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
OH geez. I got THIS close to buying a beautiful shirt..from a company that I love (over 50% off..still pricey though)-- put it into my shopping cart and then promptly closed my screen. Unnecessary :)

I am working on hand-sewing a shirt out of silk (which I was given and then naturally dyed)..so that is my new project.

Em-Dog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 07:08:40 AM »
I'm in!! I'm on track so far this year, I was tempted by a pretty dress on Lulus that I imagined wearing on a tropical beach vacation.. then remembered the dress isn't what makes the vacation enjoyable and I also have no such vacation planned!

The only thing to potentially derail me, is my brothers wedding in Oct.. his fiancée just told me I need to wear a long grey dress, I already started scouring Mercari and other sites with used clothes since I'll likely never wear this again, at least she is letting me pick the dress!

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
I'm in!! I'm on track so far this year, I was tempted by a pretty dress on Lulus that I imagined wearing on a tropical beach vacation.. then remembered the dress isn't what makes the vacation enjoyable and I also have no such vacation planned!

The only thing to potentially derail me, is my brothers wedding in Oct.. his fiancée just told me I need to wear a long grey dress, I already started scouring Mercari and other sites with used clothes since I'll likely never wear this again, at least she is letting me pick the dress!

A huge portion of my wardrobe is stuff I bought for trips! Something about travel always makes me want to shop.

So far, I’ve kept up the challenge all year! I needed to buy one pair of athletic shoes, but that was only for necessary foot support so I consider that basic health care. I’m getting a little bored of my crappy house clothes that I keep wearing all the time, but I’ll probably start wearing more of my other clothes with the weather improving. I pushed myself this morning to pick something I hadn’t worn in a long time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »
I’m getting a little bored of my crappy house clothes that I keep wearing all the time, but I’ll probably start wearing more of my other clothes with the weather improving. I pushed myself this morning to pick something I hadn’t worn in a long time.

this is the nice thing about changing seasons-different section of the wardrobe becomes accessible!

I pulled out a striped shirt today, something I haven't worn in...oh 8 months?!
Felt very jaunty.

No purchases.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »
This weekend I am doing the closet changeover. This should refresh my relationship with my clothes as I pull out old favourites and tuck away for later items that have become too familiar.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2021, 04:56:50 AM »
I bought Merrell walking shoes.  Tried walking in my tennis shoes and ended up with plantar fasciitis.  So I do consider that more a health item.  I walk for exercise and good shoes are a must.  I was wearing boots and needed shoes.

I did have a fail though - I had to put my sweet sweet dog down.  He was elderly - blind and deaf but truly my buddy -  seeing me through a pretty crappy divorce after a 30 year plus marriage.  I  bought a bathing suit and two shirts from Lands End - $100. That was a stress purchase.  I have one bathing suit so another will be nice.

Huge props to those who have not purchased anything. I really have reset my purchase urge thru this challenge and much improved over previous years so I am hoping to make this a permanent change. Lots more money in the bank too.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2021, 05:16:57 AM »
Still going strong. Next week is spring break for DD, so I'm taking a week off of work. The plan is to clean out the closets -- getting rid of things we don't wear, putting away winter clothes, and pulling other things out to the front of the closet.

nessa

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
I bought a pair of slacks for work from Goodwill yesterday. (I did NOT buy the Pyrex bowl I saw and "felt sorry for", so I've managed to keep to my no thrifting rule)

I've donated all my larger size clothes at this point (hit my weight loss goal) but I've been sloppy for the past month and my current pants are all getting tight. I decided that I could feel miserable and say miserable things to myself in my tight pants, or I could break my No-Buy and have one pair of slacks that help my self esteem as I figure out how to maintain my weight. Making a pair of trousers in one day is not an option for me.

Full disclosure: they were not 25/50% off so I paid "full price". I'm wearing them now. No regrets.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2021, 08:12:49 AM »
I bought a pair of hiking boots.  I'm not sure if that puts me in or out of the challenge.

My old boots appear to not be fixable (I tried, and the fix failed - also not worth trying to return them as defective - though they definitely were - because I put a lot of miles on them after they failed), and I need reliable boots for the summer since I'll be working in Yellowstone and plan to hike every day I have the time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
I don't personally consider hiking boots or runners as clothing..for me it falls more under the 'gear' category.
However, I suppose if one starts buying it for fashion purposes than perhaps it's a different thing..
:)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »
Well, I haven't bought *new* clothes all year. In March I did buy a surfie dress (Roxy) to wear as a summer nightie for $3, a pair of comfy skinny jeans that I didn't need to take up $5 (didn't own any denim) and a purple cardi for $2 all from op shops. A friend bought me an op shopped blue and white striped top for $1. All these items were on my mental list, to supplement my wardrobe. I only own around 50 items of clothing so not disappointed at all. I find it amazing that I don't lust after clothes any more after being such a fashion follower in my 20s and 30s!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2021, 11:12:55 PM »
Running kit/walking shoes/hiking boots all get filed under 'health and fitness' for me, so that's not a fail.
:P

This afternoon, I took all my clothes out and put away the 100% summer clothes and some of the things that I still love but am a bit tired of. Added to the donation bag: one jersey, a cute singlet top, two dresses that are really flattering and we're heading into their season but they need ironing and I'd rather wear a cute dress that doesn't require effort from me. Now my closet and drawers are more organised.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2021, 01:11:11 PM »
I'm doing a bit of a seasonal swap as well and while I'm at it--getting rid of anything that I don't use regularly or enjoy..already my closet feels heaps calmer and more inspirational (plus, I've unearthed some great jewelery/scarves which can bump up my options of how to wear things).

Will do some mending this afternoon as well.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
So far, no clothes for me. The kids won’t make the year without needing stuff, but it’s been liberating to just ignore all the ads trying to convince me I want to buy something.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2021, 12:13:59 AM »
Another month, still no new clothes.
Haven't started on my spring clean-out yet, may may have a go next week after I get my taxes out of the way.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2021, 07:04:49 AM »
Another month, still no new clothes.
Haven't started on my spring clean-out yet, may may have a go next week after I get my taxes out of the way.
Gah taxes.... thanks for reminding me.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2021, 11:06:26 AM »
March... so I bought 2 items, a blazer and a second-hand cardigan. I had bought a coat but returned it. Two items isnt bad for me, but planning to do a no spend in April. I've gotten pretty good at recognizing and avoiding instagram ads and temptations overall, so I trust myself more than ever, but some times I just want a new little something to play with and that's when I shop. I'm not sure I know how to turn that off completely, or even if I need to or just limit it even further.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2021, 07:18:15 AM »
Nothing in April -
Have found the not buying clothes carrying over into not buying of other items
Looking forward to a no spend May!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »
Still haven't bought any *new* clothes. This month I did buy an op shopped pair of cotton trousers which I am using as pj pants (my old ones ripped beyond repair, they were so worn).

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
Oh wow, May is here. Still no clothes buying for me! It’s been nice having that one area totally free of spending. I’m spending plenty on other stuff that’s bringing me more happiness than clothes buying ever do. Like new plants for the garden, stuff to do with the kids in my extended family, and books for a book club that aren’t available at the library.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
No clothes buying. I did take an oversized overcoat that I bought from an op shop to a local tailor elf to resize. It'll cost to get it taken in but I think it's going to be really sharp plus I am happy to pay for expertise.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2021, 01:12:37 AM »
Grey zone here: I didn't by any clothes, but DH bought a lovely, almost untouched pair of Frye boots for me at an op shop. This replaces a pair of broken boots. Still, I got 2nd hand boots, even if I didn't strictly buy them.

So I guess this is a "semi-fail" for April.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2021, 09:52:13 AM »
Made it to three months now with no buying.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
Well, I caved. Today was the first day warm enough to wear shorts where I live. I’ve lost 20 pounds since last summer, so when I went to put a pair on, I found out they were all too big except for my lycra/spandex workout shorts.

The good news is, I’m very familiar with the sizing and fit of my preferred brand, so I was able to go on to Poshmark and get smaller sizes for a fraction of the price I would have paid new.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »
Grey zone here: I didn't by any clothes, but DH bought a lovely, almost untouched pair of Frye boots for me at an op shop. This replaces a pair of broken boots. Still, I got 2nd hand boots, even if I didn't strictly buy them.

I think that’s a very justifiable non-fail. Plus, Frye boots are awesome.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
No clothes in April!  I don’t anticipate needing/wanting anything for May.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2021, 03:28:51 AM »

I think that’s a very justifiable non-fail. Plus, Frye boots are awesome.
Haha, thank you!
And yes, DH just HAD to get them for me (he says), as it was a real bargain. He has got a very good eye for quality items.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2021, 04:35:12 AM »
I have held my commitment to myself so far, but have had to buy clothes for my kiddos. Turns out they rip holes in knees and grow like weeds, so I can’t really count them in this challenge.

nessa

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
Thrifted a pair of summer weight trousers and summer weight plaid shirt this weekend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2021, 10:25:20 PM »
Doing okay on this challenge. Had some anticipated purchases (gear: hiking boots & necessary:bras) but snuck in a thrifted jumpsuit.

No other clothing, feeling good about that!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:47:58 AM by Serendip »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
Fell off the wagon and bought a pair of summer sandals. I think they were on sale for $3.

A couple weeks later, the soles fell off my other pair of sandals (I temporarily fixed them using stick tack), a hole developed in my flats, and I got rid of a pair of shoes that were too big for me. The inside lining of my other pair of work shoes have worn through all the way to the rubber bottom, but I think I can save that pair by inserting insoles.

I’m thinking of not replacing any of those shoes...yet.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2021, 11:50:35 PM »
I went for my fitting for the overcoat rehab and I am super pleased with how it's looking. Worth every penny to get this rehabbed instead of buying a new one.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »
I'm in, but not sure if it will really be a challenge for me since I've lost a lot of the pleasure I used to take in buying clothes. Have bought nothing this year even though I need to replace my bras.

I do really miss Naked Lady parties and hope to attend some before the end of this year if things go well.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »
May fail - bought a black dress for a funeral.  I tried to think of something I already had to wear but didn’t succeed.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2021, 09:50:04 AM »
May fail - bought a black dress for a funeral.  I tried to think of something I already had to wear but didn’t succeed.

I think we would all agree that some situations overrule challenges such as this one. Sending condolences..

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2021, 04:30:27 AM »
Definitely @Serendip ! And so sorry for your loss @meadow lark.

Still haven't bought any new clothes this year, though I have a few social occasions coming up and all of a sudden I really want a pretty dressy shirt (billowy or bell sleeves, perhaps?) to wear with jeans/pants. The thought of actually hunting it down is paralysing me though, so might just keep to my usual style, which I've had for the last 30 years: 'dressing like Catwoman' (in my husband's words).

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
May pretty much over, no clothes purchased other than one of my listed exceptions: the wintercoat replacement. So, I am still in track ☺
I will be in with 4 exceptions:
1. get myself a flannel pj in Jan as b/d gift
2. looking for a heavy-duty oil skin/rain coat
3. 2nd hand woolen winter coat (mine is on the way out after this season).
4. Replacement for shoes if they fail (fixed some this year but will only work for so long).

Otherwise, I should be good with my existing wardrobe.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »
Another month done.

Jan: success
Feb: 3 t-shirts on the last day *shakes fist at sky*
Mar: success
Apr: success - tailor recut an existing coat so it looks new
May: success
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:19:50 PM by mspym »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!