Author Topic: No Christmas Anything Until Dec. 1!!  (Read 7062 times)

MrsK

• Stubble
No Christmas Anything Until Dec. 1!!
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
I want November back.  Who's with me?

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No Christmas Anything Until Dec. 1!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm trying to resist.  However, I have kids and keeping them away from all things holiday is difficult.
I like November.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »
No way, man.  I get more value out of my christmas crap if I use if more days per year! 

If I'm risking my life to put up lights, I want them up an extra week!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
Too easy! I'm one of those people in the grocery store at midnight on Christmas eve each year getting last minute shit I forgot. I never start Christmas shopping until well into December, despite telling myself Every. Single. Year. that this time will be different.

It isn't. :)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »
Took a pic of a snowman at a Costco and sent it to my bro. It was October, and we live in California! Nuts. It would seem to me that stores would make more money if they emphasized that holiday between Halloween an Christmas, but what do I know...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
I see nothing wrong with starting on Christmas stuff on November 28.

November 27 or earlier, though? Oh, HELL no!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
Sorry,  the wife is spending veterans day getting some of the xmas stuff out.  We have hundreds of snowmen and decorations that we bought over the last few years for like 50 cents at the thrift stores.   So we have fun putting them up a little at a time. 

Plus we are having family up (30 people) on the 13th of December and want everything set by the 6th.   

We are drastically cutting the gift giving this year if that helps.   

As an aside,  we are doing something very nonmustachian by ordering out a full thankgiving meal this year.   Or perhaps it is mustachian?   It appears to be around $120 for 12 people.    Most years I think we spend more than that buying all the specialty stuff to make a feast.   Still have dried onions and stuffing left over from last year!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
Too easy! I'm one of those people in the grocery store at midnight on Christmas eve each year getting last minute shit I forgot. I never start Christmas shopping until well into December, despite telling myself Every. Single. Year. that this time will be different.

It isn't. :)
Oh you're good...yet I have you beat! I have been known to do my xmas shopping 2-3 days before xmas. On a particularly bad year I was shopping early xmas eve.
of course last xmas was different as mmm had been introduced to me! This year I'm about to statt my (ligh) shopping and gift making. Luckily I give to to about 7 ppl total :)

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »
Sorry,  the wife is spending veterans day getting some of the xmas stuff out.  We have hundreds of snowmen and decorations that we bought over the last few years for like 50 cents at the thrift stores.   So we have fun putting them up a little at a time. 

Plus we are having family up (30 people) on the 13th of December and want everything set by the 6th.   

We are drastically cutting the gift giving this year if that helps.   

As an aside,  we are doing something very nonmustachian by ordering out a full thankgiving meal this year.   Or perhaps it is mustachian?   It appears to be around $120 for 12 people.    Most years I think we spend more than that buying all the specialty stuff to make a feast.   Still have dried onions and stuffing left over from last year!

$10 a person seems like a great deal! 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
But Advent starts Nov. 30 this year--so that's when I plan to start all the Christmas fa-la-la's.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
Almost.  We don't do anything Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving.  No decorations at all. Only shop if there is something I am afraid will sell out before thanksgiving.   Although, I will probably watch a few Christmas movies before then.  I have a cousin who had her Christmas tree up before Halloween.  Crazy!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
I remember a supervisor at work who kept her office Christmas tree up all year. So bizarre. I mean, I like Christmas as well as anyone, but good grief...

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
Oh, I do this the other way. I am Catholic and we like Advent, so I try to have all my presents bought and wrapped by the time that begins (late Nov/early Dec--it starts Nov 30 this year). Then I can celebrate Advent without Christmas spilling over into it.

ImCheap

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
MrsK,

I'm with you on this one, matter of fact I have put off Christmas anything until after November for many years now. I like the holiday's and Christmas and all but I also enjoy Thanksgiving.

The tree comes down before news years as well, generally the day after Christmas it gets tossed on the fire pit.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »
NO WAY, I start Christmas shopping in the summer, and we ordered our Christmas cards in Sept. this year (we had the photos from a summer trip). I am usually done with everything soon after Thanksgiving. I'd rather spread out the costs of gifts than lump it all into December.

YeahNo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Amen to this brother. November is for Thanksgiving and raking the leaves. NOT XMAS!!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Despite my vow not to start Christmas happy-merries until Nov. 30, I do have to say that it's tempting to buy some new outdoor lights and to start browsing Christmas cards. It's just so darn festive and fun! And the grandkids and I have to practice our Christmas music early, or else none of us would be able to play anything. (Piano and harp.)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
I don't think I have the self control to avoid egg nog, corn nog, and the other major nog groups until December.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
I've almost hit the deadline for military mail to get anything to the States by Christmas, so there's no waiting for me!

I shop year round, buying stuff as we travel.  I'm giving my dad a shirt that I bought on my New Years trip, January 3rd!

I don't decorate or show any outward signs of Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but I work on it year round. 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
Unfortunately, this won't happen in my neck of the woods.  Today, I am going to 2 church Christmas fairs.  Plus the recruiting agency that I got my job from is having a Christmas party on Nov. 28 which I don't want to miss.  Too much fun stuff.  :) 

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »
I don't do Christmas anything until December 23rd. Lucky for me, my wife understands my perspective and doesn't expect gifts from me. I actually dread the holidays because everything becomes so busy and stressful and filled with line ups... Traffic everywhere...

I believe MMM once wrote an article about the wasteful consumption filled holidays we have. I have always been of similar mind simply because I can't understand why anyone other than kids needs gifts. We are all adults, why can't we buy ourselves what we need when we need it? I do not understand gifts. More often than not, my gifts end up sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

I'm 27. In the last 10 years, I can remember only a couple gifts from my parents being useful. A cordless drill set that I used at work for several years... Perhaps a hoodie or two...

But, the holidays are fun for getting together with friends and family and eating a lot...

Cheers

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
No Christmas anything here at all, thank goodness. It's been overwhelming everywhere else since before Halloween; why would I bring it into my home, too?

I'll buy presents online soon. I don't enter retail stores in December - just buying food is ordeal enough then with all the crowding and nonsense at the grocery store, but at least there there's the upside of sales on ham and turkey - I get enough to last the year in the deep freeze. Oh, and cranberries.

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
I started shopping for Christmas presents sometime this month (because I got excited about my ideas and didn't want to wait), but in terms of everything else (Christmas music, decorations, etc) it can wait until the day after Thanksgiving, at least. But preferably until December 1.

My mom doesn't put the tree up horribly early (the weekend after Thanksgiving is the typical time), but then she'll leave it up until February because she can't stand to take it down. She'll also listen to Christmas music for a while after the holiday has passed. Bit of an odd duck, but she's all right.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »
My DH tries to put up Christmas décor and play music right after Halloween.  I try to convince him that we must wait until after Thanksgiving every year. 

This year, I've had to start planning Christmas early due to two of our kids on church missions (one is across the country, the other is in a foreign country). I've already done my yearly photo books, so that I can send them each one. And I will be sending their Christmas packages tomorrow (I hope!). My DH went on a trip to see his brother last weekend, so I surprised him with the house all Christmas-y when he came home. That was purely an act of love and the kids liked the surprise as well! The other benefit is that I got to actually decorate with the right ornaments on the right trees, unlike when he does it- where he and the kids just put things anywhere they want. It's also nice to have a festive atmosphere at home when I'm missing my kids!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
My one exception is Christmas music.  I would listen to that all year long if others would let me get away with it.  And, many "Christmas" songs are actually just winter songs, co-opted by Christmas.  So I don't feel bad listening to them after Halloween.
However, what little shopping I do waits until after Thanksgiving.  I spend November being thankful for what I've got, not just the one day, and after that I feel I'm in the appropriate mood for Christmas since my wants list is very, very small and I realize already that my life is freaking AMAZING and I don't really need any more stuff, so anything I do get is a very small bonus.  It's mostly nice to get gifts just because I know the other person took time to think of me and think of what I'd like and how wonderful is that, to know friends and family were thinking of you?
This also frees me to focus on the rest of the holiday.  I love the lights, the cookies, the chilly weather, the stollen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen) my mom always made (and which I now make), the good cheer of people who aren't freaking out about consumer worries, the hope for peace in the future, and so many other things this list would be a mile long if I let it.  I love Christmas.  I just love it in December, the way we're supposed to.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
The obvious stuff, yes, let's wait.  But prep - some things take longer than others.  I have been practicing Christmas songs for two months now - beginners on an instrument need lots and lots of practice time.  But no-one else has heard them, so I suppose I am still holding off until the season.  ;-)

I'm not knitting any presents this year, but if I were, I would have started back in June.