Author Topic: No Car Driving for 30 Days  (Read 9435 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
No Car Driving for 30 Days
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:01 AM »
Starting yesterday, I will not drive a car for 30 days.

This will force me to figure out how to get food supplies I need without a car and how to plan ahead.

This does not mean no one in my house will drive a car. I know I will be a passenger a handful of times. Despite that, I will still reduce my carbon footprint by avoiding all the times I would have driven solo.

Modifying to add: After posting this challenge, I realized I'd responded "yes" to visit a national wildlife refuge. How do I get there? I will see if I can carpool. If not, I will look for public transportation. If I must, I will drive since I promised to do this before this challenge. Bummer, but such is life.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:24:09 PM by oldtoyota »

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: No Car Driving for 30 Days
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
Count me in!  We sold our car back in August but ended up renting a car a few times in September for several trips.  I'd like to have a true no car month this month.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:38 AM »
Awesome! This will be a continuation of my personal "don't own a car" challenge... It'll probably happen eventually (all I hear about at work is how cold and snowy Wisconsin winters are... cue laughing Canadians) but I'm putting it off as long as possible.

Related to this, I picked up a bike cargo trailer last week and it is THE BEST. So far I've hauled a load of groceries, a 4'x8' sheet of foam insulation board (got some funny looks in the parking lot of HD, that was fun), and tonight I'm going to pick up a small washing machine for my apartment. You could make one yourself too, they're pretty simple, but I got a pretty good deal on mine so I just bought it.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
Yay. Glad some folks are in!

I had a moment when I thought about how I had to get to my fave low-cost grocery store in the 'burbs. Eek! How to do it without a car? Then, I had a brainstorm. I work in the city. I can *walk* a mile to the city location of the store at lunch, shop, and walk back. Or, if I prefer not to have to rush, I can go after work and get some exercise too!

Tomorrow, I am packing a backpack and another bag so I can carry the groceries.

If I had not made the challenge, I would have driven as usual and not even *thought* about this walking after work idea.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:55:09 PM by oldtoyota »

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
I haven't driven a car since February 2012...

...when I moved to South Korea. I don't need a car, so hurrah!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

I had a moment when I thought about how I had to get to my fave low-cost grocery store in the 'burbs. Eek! How to do it without a car? Then, I had a brainstorm. I work in the city. I can *walk* a mile to the city location of the store at lunch, shop, and walk back. Or, if I prefer not to have to rush, I can go after work and get some exercise too!

If I had not made the challenge, I would have driven as usual and not even *thought* about this walking after work idea.

Just don't do this:

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2013/its-probably-not-the-best-idea-to-make-a-costco-run-on-foot/

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »

Just don't do this:

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2013/its-probably-not-the-best-idea-to-make-a-costco-run-on-foot/

That was funny. Thank you for sharing it!

I walked a bit over a mile. At the store, I grabbed a hand cart so that I would have a sense of how much everything weighed before I even checked out of TJ's. I skipped the two bottles of wine the spouse wanted due to weight issues. Stupidly, I forgot both my backpack and my bag. So, that means I spent $2.99 on a TJ's bag with a thick strap so as not to hurt my shoulder. Ugh.

Spending money on a bag I did not need was the worst part, and that is not all that bad. I carried one relatively heavy bag one mile back to the office. I will need to carry it another 1-2 miles to the metro (my choice to walk this far for exercise).

Sadly, my friend is in the hospital. I will have to drive to get there but it is 100% worth it.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

Just don't do this:

I walked a bit over a mile. At the store, I grabbed a hand cart so that I would have a sense of how much everything weighed before I even checked out of TJ's. I skipped the two bottles of wine the spouse wanted due to weight issues. Stupidly, I forgot both my backpack and my bag. So, that means I spent $2.99 on a TJ's bag with a thick strap so as not to hurt my shoulder. Ugh.
Doing a big grocery run on foot is a solved problem in walking cities. Pretty much every store in New York sells these:

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »

Just don't do this:

Doing a big grocery run on foot is a solved problem in walking cities. Pretty much every store in New York sells these:

I would use one if I was returning home. I'm not sure I'd take that into my office though.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
Sometimes life throws a curve ball, and you just have to handle it as best you can. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to modify this. Instead of feeling bad and guilty, I am choosing to be happy that I may only use my car three times this month. Maybe the following month, I'll only use it twice. =-)

I visited that friend in the hospital and drove a different visiting friend to the train station. Perhaps, it was too much to expect I would use the car zero times. I am still aiming not to use the car the rest of the month except for one field trip with the kiddo.

Either way, I am thinking a lot about trips before I take them. And I *walked* to the grocery store the other day instead of driving, and I also picked up a house guest at the subway (walked to that too).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
"I am thinking a lot about trips before I take them."

I think that is precisely the idea.  So many folks just don't think about getting around by any other means than their hugely inefficient car.  It's like they are car zombies.

So I salute you, oldtoyota, for your progress!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
"I am thinking a lot about trips before I take them."

I think that is precisely the idea.  So many folks just don't think about getting around by any other means than their hugely inefficient car.  It's like they are car zombies.

So I salute you, oldtoyota, for your progress!

Thank you for your kind words!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
Update: I was on a business trip and used taxis/shared cars. The city I visited has NO bikes and NO public transportation. I could not believe it. And I overheard a woman talking about how she advised her daughter not to buy a car now. I was thinking "great!!" And then the woman said, "...and I told my daughter to wait until she can get her own credit at 18...." Then, I thought, "Nooooo!"

Side note: It's funny to me that I felt guilty about picking up my friend at the metro on foot. I kept having to tell myself it was perfectly normal. If I lived in NYC, I would have done that...so why not in DC too?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
Wow. I was updating our spending in YNAB and realized we have purchased NO FUEL so far this month. Okay, okay. I know it's only 10 days, but this is huge. WTH was I driving before this??

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
I just wanted to let you know I am loving your challenge and enjoying reading it. I can't do it because I am in a long distance relationship where me not driving would force a 1.5 hour return trip onto my partner for him to meet me at the train station, or he would have to come to my house for the whole month. But I have been implementing a rule that if the trip is less than 8kms (half an hour on the bike) I have to bike, walk or bus. The exception is my fortnightly grocery shop, as I drive about that distance to a cheaper shop and stock up. (There are closer places to shop but they are significantly more pricey, so the in this case driving makes sense from a time and money perspective.) Surprisingly this cuts out pretty much all car trips that are not over an hour in length... everything is either local (work, shops,friends,sports) or really far away (parents, boyfriend, best friend). Maybe you could try a similar policy in your household?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
Yes, I am hugely admiring anyone who can do this. Our 1 car was recently written off: wow, I so could not do without a car.  I failed the test and had to hire one. So unmustachian :( But it really opened my eyes about how we needed to get moving on alternatives, and we did use more public transport etc.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:16:08 AM »
I haven't driven a car since February 2012...
I've never driven. It used to be because I was too scared to learn (and it's like, $50/hr for a lesson! And I need 100 hours! Balls!). But now I have a lovely Mustachian excuse to never drive, huzzah!

I used a challenge like this, but for public transport, and after only a week I was converted to never take public transport to uni again!

avonlea

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Wow. I was updating our spending in YNAB and realized we have purchased NO FUEL so far this month. Okay, okay. I know it's only 10 days, but this is huge. WTH was I driving before this??

Love this.  Great job, oldtoyota!  I've been enjoying reading your thread.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
I just wanted to let you know I am loving your challenge and enjoying reading it. I can't do it because I am in a long distance relationship where me not driving would force a 1.5 hour return trip onto my partner for him to meet me at the train station, or he would have to come to my house for the whole month. But I have been implementing a rule that if the trip is less than 8kms (half an hour on the bike) I have to bike, walk or bus. The exception is my fortnightly grocery shop, as I drive about that distance to a cheaper shop and stock up. (There are closer places to shop but they are significantly more pricey, so the in this case driving makes sense from a time and money perspective.) Surprisingly this cuts out pretty much all car trips that are not over an hour in length... everything is either local (work, shops,friends,sports) or really far away (parents, boyfriend, best friend). Maybe you could try a similar policy in your household?

I think this is a great idea. IIRC, MMM saves car trips for over X amount of time too. Seems wise to me!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »

Love this.  Great job, oldtoyota!  I've been enjoying reading your thread.

Thank you very much!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
When our cat does something dumb--like falling off of a dresser for no good reason--she licks her paws as though to say, "Nothing to see here. I am not embarrassed at all. No siree bob!" We all pretend like we didn't notice.

Well, I am having a lick-my-paws moment. Yesterday, I wanted to go to the library. Before I knew it, I was on a crowded street IN MY CAR--and that's when it hit me. I am doing a no-car challenge, and I am IN MY CAR!

I had gotten into my car out of habit and driven about 4 blocks before I remembered the no-car challenge. Walking to the library is 100% do-able.

Bottom Line: I messed that one up.

Today, I am driving to see my parents. If I follow MMM and Melody's thinking about basing my decision to make trips on whether they are walkable/bikeable or not, then visiting my parents would fall into the "car" category. While I will make the trip by car, it is a long way and, therefore, justified based on my new thinking about this topic.

So, I think what is happening here is I made a big declaration ("NO car driving") and am modifying as I go along based on what I am learning about the experience.

I plan to continue this into November. By the end of November, I may have 100% cured my car "habit," which means I will no longer drive at all for shorter trips. I am sure I"ll have some goof ups along the way, and I'll be better off in the end. =-)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

oldtoyota, I lived without a car for several years and it's amazing how creative one gets to work out solutions to problems like where and when to buy groceries. Another thing I noticed is that I started to really pay attention to all the stores, banks, and other amenities on my bike/public transportation routes. People are still amazed when I can tell them exactly where stuff is. When we drive we don't really pay that much attention.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
So, I think what is happening here is I made a big declaration ("NO car driving") and am modifying as I go along based on what I am learning about the experience.

Leraning's what it's all about. In my experience this is where you'll make permanent changes, rather than sticking to it 100% and then being all "fuck that" at the end. Congrats.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

Leraning's what it's all about. In my experience this is where you'll make permanent changes, rather than sticking to it 100% and then being all "fuck that" at the end. Congrats.

Good point. Thank you!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

oldtoyota, I lived without a car for several years and it's amazing how creative one gets to work out solutions to problems like where and when to buy groceries. Another thing I noticed is that I started to really pay attention to all the stores, banks, and other amenities on my bike/public transportation routes. People are still amazed when I can tell them exactly where stuff is. When we drive we don't really pay that much attention.

Thankfully, I can walk to three groceries (and more are opening up nearby), bank, the movies (not that I go much), the library, a community center, the train, and other places. That's pretty good for a suburban area. I do not bike much (yet). I will layer that in. I'm also delighted to learn that more Capital Bikeshares are opening up, which is going to encourage more biking and more car driver awareness of bikes over time. Good things are happening.

My neighborhood is up and down as far as crime. That is something I have to think about whether I walk or bike.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:09 AM »
Good news this week. I sat down to see how much we'd spent in October on fuel.

Total is $35.

Not bad considering it's October 17th! We're way under our normal fuel expenditure and a bit more than halfway through the month.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:05:19 AM by oldtoyota »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
Congrats, oldtoyota!  I bet that low fuel bill is really nice to see.  SO many benefits to walking/biking.

I have not purchased gasoline yet this month, but I will have to tomorrow, as I will be driving about 360 miles round trip this weekend to visit my 91 year old friend.

I just ordered a BOB bike trailer so that I can schlep myself and my hockey gear to the ice rink without using my clown car!  That means that the ONLY driving I will be doing is for out of town trips!

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:42 AM »
Oldtoyota, have you lost weight due to walking and biking more? I'm curious :-)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 04:33:20 AM »
I may have actually messed this one up...

Last weekend I went to an out-of-town conference, and I traveled with someone else. Someone else who is older (not decrepit--totally capable) and disinclined to walk places. So we ended up taking taxis between the conference site and our guesthouse.

I hadn't considered taking the bus to and from the conference city breaking this challenge, but the taxis irked me. Curious the way my mind wants to make these distinctions...

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
Oldtoyota, have you lost weight due to walking and biking more? I'm curious :-)

I have not,and I dearly hope not! I have a problem with keeping weight on in general!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
I may have actually messed this one up...

Last weekend I went to an out-of-town conference, and I traveled with someone else. Someone else who is older (not decrepit--totally capable) and disinclined to walk places. So we ended up taking taxis between the conference site and our guesthouse.

I hadn't considered taking the bus to and from the conference city breaking this challenge, but the taxis irked me. Curious the way my mind wants to make these distinctions...

No worries. Just get back on the horse! =-)

If you look up above, you will see that I got in my car and drove somewhere out of pure habit. I got annoyed by the traffic and that was when I realized that I was driving my car during my No Drive Challenge. Nice, huh? I could have walked, too!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
Congrats, oldtoyota!  I bet that low fuel bill is really nice to see.  SO many benefits to walking/biking.

I have not purchased gasoline yet this month, but I will have to tomorrow, as I will be driving about 360 miles round trip this weekend to visit my 91 year old friend.

I just ordered a BOB bike trailer so that I can schlep myself and my hockey gear to the ice rink without using my clown car!  That means that the ONLY driving I will be doing is for out of town trips!

=-) Thank you! I think you have a Ph.D. in this no car business, because I am not as bike savvy as you!

MTA: Added a an article before a noun. =-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by oldtoyota »

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
I'm still going strong, at least in my daily life.  I forgot about a vacation we booked way back in May which involved a car rental...oops.  However, we barely drove it once we got to our destination, and we still haven't used Zipcar or rented a car for our real life.  September we got a little crazy and did Zipcar a few times, rented a car for the weekend to go visit my parents, etc.  So I'm still pleased with how low our transportation costs are, vacation car rental aside!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
If I am correct, spouse has been to the gas station twice this month. That is despite two sets of house guests and more people visiting that I ended up driving to see. This is a win for us!

I am going to continue this challenge into November with the caveat that there will be some exceptions. Instead of "no" driving, I will change this to "seriously reduced" driving. I say that because we are driving to see family at Tgiving, so I know we'll be paying out the nose for gas for that trip.

In addition, we're doing the challenge not to use heat until Nov 1 (or longer if the weather cooperates) so we're saving even more gas there. =-)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
If I am correct, spouse has been to the gas station twice this month. That is despite two sets of house guests and more people visiting that I ended up driving to see. This is a win for us!

I am going to continue this challenge into November with the caveat that there will be some exceptions. Instead of "no" driving, I will change this to "seriously reduced" driving. I say that because we are driving to see family at Tgiving, so I know we'll be paying out the nose for gas for that trip.

In addition, we're doing the challenge not to use heat until Nov 1 (or longer if the weather cooperates) so we're saving even more gas there. =-)

Awesome oldtoyota!  Aside from our vacation rental car, we still haven't used zipcar or even taken a taxi this month.  Hoping to keep it going for November too!  (I think we're taking the bus to our Tgiving destination instead of renting a car so it may be possible!)

You beat me on the no heat challenge, though-I'm weak when it comes to cold temps!  Guess that won't be much of a money-saver for me! Although to be fair, we are keeping it lower than we have previously, so I bet we're still reducing our bill.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »

Awesome oldtoyota!  Aside from our vacation rental car, we still haven't used zipcar or even taken a taxi this month.  Hoping to keep it going for November too!  (I think we're taking the bus to our Tgiving destination instead of renting a car so it may be possible!)

You beat me on the no heat challenge, though-I'm weak when it comes to cold temps!  Guess that won't be much of a money-saver for me! Although to be fair, we are keeping it lower than we have previously, so I bet we're still reducing our bill.

That is awesome you have not used zip car or taxis. I had a trip to the midwest and was taken aback at how necessary the car is out there. Sheesh! So expensive! Your comment made me think of the midwest, because I had to take a taxi to and from the airport and yet another taxi to get to an event. I was so sick of taxis by the time I left there. lol

I think of myself as a wimp with the cold too! I bought some long, warm socks. Those have helped. I've been bundling up. Being in bed is no problem. The hardest time, by far, is getting out of the warm bed in the morning.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
Alright, so it's the last day of the month.

I never drove a car myself, so that's a victory. However, I utilized public transportation a few times: subway (a few times), inter-city buses (twice round-trip--once to a professional conference and another time to a job interview), and a taxi because of a lazy traveling partner at the conference (twice).

For places within two subway stops of my apartment, I just walked. But that's not a new habit from this challenge; it's just something I've always done.

The end! How'd you do?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
I am proud! I checked last night, and it looks like we spent around $50 on gas for the month. I won't go into the trips I did decide to take by car--and the time I forgot about my challenge until I found myself in traffic!--so I'll just say I count this as a success. I learned a lot and will continue it into November, except I'll say "reduced trips" instead of "no trips."

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
My car trips are still reduced. Yay!!

Spouse wants to go on a grocery run, and I am thinking I'll do what I did last month. Walk to the store we like in the city, shop there, and walk to subway to ride home. No car involved that way!

I put gas in the car yesterday. It felt so strange as I had not put gas into a car in over a month!

And the best part...............?

I bought a bike helmet!! (Also, it was $15 off. Woot!)

And I asked a local store about checking out my "vintage" bike. I have kept it excellent shape, and it's sturdy. The guy I spoke to knew a lot, and I am 100% comfortable having his folks check out the bike/fix the tires. Eventually, I'll learn how to do all that, but I am being realistic in knowing I don't know everything anymore so expert advice is welcome at this point. =-) I have not changed a bike tire in a looooong time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!