Author Topic: No Aluminum Cans, Plastic Bottles or Glass Bottles for 30 Days (Beverages)  (Read 3670 times)

Ghost of the Wild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Awoooooooooooooo! At the Moon.
    • Ghost of the Wild
This challenge should help save money, help improve health (which saves money in the long term) and help the environment out.

Basically you refrain from buying single serving beverages that come in aluminum cans, plastic bottles or glass bottles.  For the most part this is soda, beer, energy drinks and water.  I'm still going to buy milk which I get in a 1 gallon plastic jug that I recycle (If I could get it in a refillable glass bottle like my Dad did growing up, I would do that).  If I want a beer I will go to my local pub and get one from the tap.  I can't stand it when bars are more like convenience stores and sell all of their beer in cans and bottles.  I won't be drinking any soda or energy drinks and I always carry a refillable bottle for water.

I am planning on doing this for the whole year but I figured a 30 day challenge would encourage some of you to give it a try and see how it goes.  I'm doing this mainly for the health benefits and for environmental reasons.  The money savings will be an extra bonus!

I came up with this challenge because I was not satisfied with our recycling rates in the U.S.  My simple solution is to eliminate as many of these containers from my life as possible in the first place.

2011 U.S. Recycling Rates According to EPA:

Aluminum Cans: 55%
Glass Containers: 34%
PET Bottles and Jars: 29%

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/nonhaz/municipal/

If 45% of our aluminum cans are ending up in the trash then we are very far away from creating a sustainable system there.

If your still not convinced of the benefits, my whole rant on single serving beverage containers can be read here: 
http://www.ghostofthewild.com/2014/02/03/death-to-the-aluminum-can/

Good luck to everyone who joins in on this challenge no matter what your main reason is!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Re: No Aluminum Cans, Plastic Bottles or Glass Bottles for 30 Days (Beverages)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
I love it. I've been doing it for years!

I only drink loose leaf tea and water so it's pretty easy to avoid glass and aluminum. Plastic is a bit harder if I am stuck in an all-day training without access to any water except for what's in a bottle from the restaurant doing the lunch. I could be more careful about bringing my own bottle in the future. This will only save 2-4 bottles a year though. We greatly reduced our consumption of these things.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
Does it count if I drink homebrewed beer from recycled bottles?

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »
Does it count if I drink homebrewed beer from recycled bottles?

I'd say that's a double win!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
I can't really join this challenge because it wouldn't be much of a challenge, but I'd like to follow along as people participate! I fully support your cause, Ghost of the Wild.

I mostly drink water at home, but sometimes tea and previously coffee every day (waiting to buy more after I move in a week and a half). Away from home, I use a water bottle. Just water at restaurants. If I get a coffee out while visiting others, I try to get it in an actual mug.

This system does falter maybe three times a year when I really want a soda. I usually buy a can then, but always recycle it ;-)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
I'm another with you in spirit, but can't join officially because odds are I won't in any given 30-day period. I drink water and coffee at home and hot tea at work. Nothing on the commute -- theres no public restroom on my route, so it would be a bad idea...

Husband keeps some fizzy colored water around, but in 2-liter bottles, and I don't drink it at all since I started a diet in late November.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
I wouldn't make this challenge either, but that doesn't mean it's not good to cut down on the waste stream from all this crap.  I just spent a week in Florida and brought along a travel mug and water bottle, which really cut down on beverage container waste, in addition to saving money.  Ended up using two disposable coffee cups while there, and a few beer bottles, but it could have been much worse without bringing my reusable containers.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
My husband drinks beer, and I can't stand all the waste of single use glass bottles! The brewery is local, I should ask them if they will take the empty bottles back.

I doubt it. But find some local homebrewers. We always need bottles.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
We are really an awesome bunch!

Kudos, all, whether you do it already or are planning to give it a go.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
I am in!

I never buy those types of one-serving drinks, and if I buy beer which is about once or twice a year, I get the big bottles, 22 oz or 750 ml sizes, which are supposed to be for sharing. Yeah right!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!