Author Topic: No Air-Conditioning 2013  (Read 24095 times)

worms

• Bristles
Re: No Air-Conditioning 2013
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Pity we can't share the heat around.  Living in northern Scotland, I am just hoping it will soon be warm enough to turn the central heating off!

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
You people in dry climates have it easy. It's been cool enough outside that I've wanted to bring in outside air, but it's always been 70%+ humidity.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
I live in DC and manage fine for most of the summer using fans and wearing shorts with no shirt. I use AC to sleep at night in August, but it usually turns off on its own after a few hours.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 05:33:56 AM »
We hit 80% humidity inside yesterday, so the dehumidifier goes on today if it's cloudy and cool as it looks to be. The thing really adds a lot of heat, so we may not if it gets up to 90 again outside.

The time is fast approaching when we'll need to install one of the heat pumps, but it's a two-man job, at least, and I'm legitimately not man enough to help (the things don't quite weighas much as I do, but it's not that far off, and they're going in high on the wall, above windows).

Temperature-wise, we're still doing fine. I just don't want the place to develop any mold problems! The house is tight-sealed now that the dogs have gotten used to their new door (homemeade with three layers of warehouse door flaps). Perhaps I need to look into dehumidifiers that vent to the outside, though that's a complicated endeavor in an earth-sheltered house.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 05:37:16 AM »
I just bought a used portable A/C unit, and it only gets hot in Germany maybe 1 week a year.  Not very mustachian, but I can not sleep when it is hot.  I got the thing used, can resell it for nearly all the money I paid when I leave in a few years, and will run it minimally, so I'm satisfied with my decision.  It may be like driving a recliner around town in MMM terms, and I recognize it as a luxury choice, but it's one I'll happily make and own. 

Sebastian

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
I haven't yet turned on the A/C yet here in Vegas (in the house, that is; we have in the car), though we have hit 100 twice (and in the 90s fairly regularly now).

I'd imagine we will at some point, but it's not that necessary.

100 degrees out there isn't that hot though. There is barely any humidity. Come over to Wisconsin with our 80 degree weather and 90% humidity and tell me how that feels haha.

I still haven't turned on the A/C either, but it's getting tough when the bath towels aren't drying. Eeeek!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
I haven't yet turned on the A/C yet here in Vegas (in the house, that is; we have in the car), though we have hit 100 twice (and in the 90s fairly regularly now).

I'd imagine we will at some point, but it's not that necessary.

100 degrees out there isn't that hot though. There is barely any humidity. Come over to Wisconsin with our 80 degree weather and 90% humidity and tell me how that feels haha.

I still haven't turned on the A/C either, but it's getting tough when the bath towels aren't drying. Eeeek!

Well we have hit 112, and still no A/C use yet.  Friday we're supposed to hit 115 degrees and 117 degrees on Saturday (and 115 again Sunday), with the lows at night being 91 and 93 degrees, respectively.

I think I may cave and use it a bit, so I may not last to the end of June.

When it doesn't go below 90 for a week or so (even at night), those are the tough times.  Hitting 115 isn't a big deal if it dips down to the cool 80s at night.

Oh well, has been a fun challenge so far.  :)

EDIT: Weather App Picture.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:16:55 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
No AC has been one of my personal goals for the month. I grew up without it but got a bit spoiled when I bought my condo and would set it to 78. Technically, I've not used AC at all this year as it wasn't hot enough before June started. First week we were in the 90s though. Fortunately the nights weren't bad and I used a box fan in a window to draw in cooler air. I like sleeping warmer than most people so I frequently keep my bedroom window closed and just let the rest of the condo cool. Got up one morning to see the thermostat reading 65. Not bad at all and the fan used a lot less electricity than the central HVAC would have. I actually turned off the gas and electric to it. If all goes well, I can do without ac until I potentially bring on a roommate or two. I figure the rent should significantly offset the higher utilities.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »
I started turning mine on at night so that I could sleep.  The days, like right now, are still disgustingly hot though.  My heat tolerance is off the charts though compared to before I moved to Texas.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
I started turning mine on at night so that I could sleep.  The days, like right now, are still disgustingly hot though.  My heat tolerance is off the charts though compared to before I moved to Texas.

It's horrid.

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
No AC sounds like a fun challenge.  My husband and I have been doing that so far this summer.  We live in CO, so humidity is not an issue for us.  Also, we both work in hyper-air-conditioned offices, so the heat of the apartment almost feels good when we get home.

Joet

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
huh we caved a couple times already in san jose, I believe we've had to turn it on a bit for ~4 days or so [days when we touched 90 or so], still cools off in the 50s at night [or even 40s sometimes this early in the summer]. $30-ish electric bill is probably not affecting my FI date tremendously although yea, every little bit helps.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
huh we caved a couple times already in san jose, I believe we've had to turn it on a bit for ~4 days or so [days when we touched 90 or so], still cools off in the 50s at night [or even 40s sometimes this early in the summer]. $30-ish electric bill is probably not affecting my FI date tremendously although yea, every little bit helps.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the money.  Our last electric bill was like $27, and had we used AC would have been maybe $4 or $5 higher.

It has to do with the fun challenge and pushing yourself. (See: stoic remind yourself of ot using a comfort gauntlet thread.)

I'd still be doing it if we had free electricity this month, or all utilities included for one price, or whatever.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the money.  Our last electric bill was like $27, and had we used AC would have been maybe $4 or $5 higher.

It has to do with the fun challenge and pushing yourself. (See: stoic remind yourself of ot using a comfort gauntlet thread.)

I'd still be doing it if we had free electricity this month, or all utilities included for one price, or whatever.

Small apartment ftw.

Joet

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »

whatever floats your boat I suppose. after solar offset my electric bill was nearly $10 fwiw. The solar array wasnt about the $$ either [although I filed for the federal/state credits anyways heh] My SO doesnt like to swelter [>82 or so inside], I'm ok with that :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »
Well, we hit 89% humidity and found mold starting on a wall, so the heat pump is installed as of yesterday. Things are much nicer, and the humidity is down to 72%.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »

!!!!! That is cheap!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:31 AM »
We still haven't turned it on!  At first, getting used to falling asleep with a warm bedroom was difficult (my ideal sleeping temperature is about 62), but that's been the only real adjustment.  Actually I've been surprised that the house has stayed decently cool even on some really hot days!  The next two months will be tougher, but I'm thinking we can add curtains over a couple of the windows that are letting in most of the heat, and keep the curtains closed during the day.

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »
I'm out.  The humidity and temp skyrocketed a few weeks ago (in Florida), so now we keep the sliding glass doors closed and have the temp set at 82.  As long as we keep the house fairly buttoned up, the AC doesn't turn on until early afternoon, and it shuts off again late in the evening. I'm bummed because it was so nice to spend more time outside in the fresh air, but I can't take it as well now that I'm in my third trimester.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
We still haven't turned it on!  At first, getting used to falling asleep with a warm bedroom was difficult (my ideal sleeping temperature is about 62), but that's been the only real adjustment.  Actually I've been surprised that the house has stayed decently cool even on some really hot days!  The next two months will be tougher, but I'm thinking we can add curtains over a couple of the windows that are letting in most of the heat, and keep the curtains closed during the day.

Yay! Good for you guys.

We're still going strong--since June 4th--and I'm pretty happy about it. We've had some rain to help cool things off here and there. Mostly, we've been experiencing a heat wave. I discovered the hard way that we really, really need curtains for a window over the sink. The window faces the west and get the hot setting sunlight every evening. That alone must raise the kitchen temperature by 10 degrees. On the plus side, the kitchen is so hot that we barely cook and have even eaten smoothies for dinner. Healthy and low calorie. =-)

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:37 AM »
I'm quite surprised. Airconditioning at 70-80? That's not even considered warm weather here. Anything below 88 I'd consider pleasant summer temps.

I like to keep it around 80 indoors and have no problem sleeping with a nice (thin) down duvet. In fact, when indoor temperatures drop below 70, I bring out my heavy-duty down duvet. Anything below 100 and I'm good. But we never hit 100 here, so I don't even own an air conditioner..

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
I'm quite surprised. Airconditioning at 70-80? That's not even considered warm weather here. Anything below 88 I'd consider pleasant summer temps.

I like to keep it around 80 indoors and have no problem sleeping with a nice (thin) down duvet. In fact, when indoor temperatures drop below 70, I bring out my heavy-duty down duvet. Anything below 100 and I'm good. But we never hit 100 here, so I don't even own an air conditioner..

But is it dry, or humid? Makes all the difference.

PunkStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
I'm in Denver and we use a swamp cooler (or evaporative cooler).  Much cheaper than running AC.  Doesn't work in humid climates though.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
I grew up in Michigan, essentially with no A/C my entire childhood. My parents had a window unit in their bedroom, and some nights when it was really bad I would fall asleep in there. I was in college at U of M during the extremely hot summer of '88 in an apartment with no A/C, will never forget that one. But now I live in the Northwest and nights are generally cooler here so I don't even have air conditioning, although many if not most people here do. I think people (in the north) have become overly accustomed to A/C . It was definitely far less common to have air-conditioning in your house 30-40 years ago and somehow we all survived.

Ascend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
I think this is definitely the type of challenge that everyone in the general population (not only us willpowering mustachians!)  should impose upon themselves at least once in a while. It literally forces us to experience living out of our comfort zone. The reason I say this is due to the hedonistic adaptation factor mentioned by MMM that most people succumb to over time. My mother is a prime example of this. She is so used to controlling the temperature to suit her needs that she is unable to tolerate any temperature she considers too warm or too cold.

Despite being located in Ottawa, we do get hit by pretty intense heat waves, such as is the case these days. I manage, through various techniques, to keep the house relatively cool during these periods (unless they are extended ones) without using A/C, but I do admit to having turned it on 3-4 times last summer.

I understand, however, that some area in the U.S. the heat/humidity can be unbearable at times, though. I remember, as a young lad, having traveled to Virginia during the summer with my parents and I couldn't believe how people would want to stay outside for a minute or two given how humid and hot it was. The only two places we wanted to be was inside where there was AC, or in the Atlantic ocean's waters!

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
July 5th in NYC, three fans, no AC yet! And we have houseguests (who are very gracious in going along with this plan.)

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2013, 07:35:23 AM »
Well the past couple days we have had to cave.  We only turned the a/c on for about an hour each day just to get the house cooled off.  The humidity has been unbearable (about 90% at night, and about 70% durning the day... UGH), and the temperature in the house got up to 88!! We might have toughed it out, but the dog was panting and miserable.

It sure would be nice to just leave it on for a few days, but we're not giving up!  Actually I'm surprised how easy it's been to adjust.  I used to be such a wimp.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
We held out through July 4 so that we could make it an entire month. Then, we turned it on a few days here and there to dry out the air. The basement was getting humid, and I was worried about mold. For the most part, we're keeping it off. I am much more attuned to the weather because of this. When it rains--which is almost every day these days--I get the fans going to let in the cooler air.

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
This is our second summer with no AC!  We live in Wisconsin.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
I ended up turning on the ac for a few hours a couple days last week, mostly because I was supposed to be interviewing someone about renting one of my rooms (didn't work out) but also because I was worried about accumulating humidity. The next few days should be fun with the temps pushing the upper 90s - 100 and the nights in the mid to upper 70s and probably high humidity.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
I think I might have to cave and buy one. Heat index values between 100-105F. I get home from work and I'm so exhausted just from sitting around. But I hate to give up a window:(

charles_roberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
If you get used to no A/C you're laughing. Amazing how you really don't need it!
Thin sheets & sleep naked. (Saves on washing clothes.. it's all £££)

stevesteve

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
When my house hit 90 and stayed there well past 10pm I "had to" put in my window unit and set it to 82.

geoaimnet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
I live in south Florida and have a family with two young children. We have our Central AC set to 80 and it never goes below it. We also have a well insulated attic and a steel roof that reflects a lot of light back into space. Our goal is to get a monthly electric bill below $100.00 we are at $118 now and had a high of $160 per month. So we are making progress. 

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
I caved in. I've been keeping the house at 80F all day. Unfortunately it's still be 80F+ after midnight lately, so the "night time cooling down" doesn't work and Michigan is too humid for moisture-based cooling devices. The basement is also starting to get stinky and mildewy smelling.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2013, 06:56:59 AM »
I haven't lost yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I should--they've opened "cooling shelters" in my city and are running public alerts about heat stroke symptoms. Where is the line between badass and stupid here?

It's supposed to cool off next week so I might as well see if I can make it through to August;)

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
During the heat wave here in Boston for the last few weeks, it keeps coming up in conversation that I don't have any air conditioners at home. "You mean, not even in the bedroom?!" Nope. (That's why I haven't been working from home recently!)

Sure it's been megasuperhot, but we both work in an airconditioned offices, and it cools off pretty well at night. Well, enough at least.  A window fan in the bedroom has been sufficient for sleeping, although today's the real test. 98 degrees, 105 heat index. We may sleep downstairs tonight since it'll be cooler. But like Anastrophe says, it cools off on Sunday.

I also somehow have to bake a birthday cake for a three year old between tonight and tomorrow. That is going to really really suck once I turn that oven on.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Still going strong, despite the fact that things like lotion inside bottles and toothpaste are warm, and even at night most of the apt stays around 83. We've got two fans pointed at the bed. The heat wave is predicted to end today--77 at night will feel AMAZING!

DocLago

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
While I think its cool yall are workin towards this.  I have to say there is something about being comfortable that takes priority over the 50$ a month savings.   That's less that $1.70 a day.  Surely there is something easier you can cut for 2$ a day.  Maybe it's me but I really like being comfortable in my own home.

Good luck!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
We've definitely fallen off the wagon with the mega heat wave that came though this week!  All the fans, and air circulation and cool showers and ice water havent been able to keep us and the pets (mainly the pets... so expensive in so many ways!!) cool enough.  I have the thermostat set at 83, so it's not exactly cool in the house, but I'm still feeling a little wimpy.  Looks like it will be cooling off a bit though starting tomorrow, so the air conditioning will be going right back off!

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Looks good going forward, days back to around 80ish here.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!