Author Topic: No A/C until June  (Read 20383 times)

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
No A/C until June
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »
I am guessing many of you are probably laughing at the fact that people still use A/C and consider themselves mustachian, but the fact is the weather in the tropics where I live can be brutal. In the summer it is often over 30C with nearly 100% humidity. Last year we made it until mid may before we had to turn the A/C on. This year i convinced my wife to try and shoot for June at the earliest. This week has seen temps in the 30's and all my coworkers have been using their A/C all ready, so we are doing well so far.

Anyone else live in a crazy hot place and care to join or one-up me?

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: No A/C until June
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
I'm all for a good challenge but this one is not for me.  It's well into the 100's here by June and I'm not badass enough to go without A/C.  Best of luck to you.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Not a one-up, just a story:

My girlfriend and I went a summer in Nor Cal without any AC. Temperatures were often around 110 F, low humidity though. It helps a lot when it cools down to 80 F at night. Now that we've done it, we don't care to do it again.

Props to you for throwin' down!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »
Anything over 90F and high humidity, unless it cools down a lot overnight, just isn't worth it (to me). I don't mind in the daytime, but I'll run the air during the night, otherwise it's impossible to sleep even with an industrial fan blowing across me.

Double ditto for the kids. Sprinklers and whatnot help in the day, but good luck getting them to sleep in that.

We're going to try being more badass this year, but we're an easy four months away from those temps anyways :P

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:42:33 AM »
My brother finally had to leave his Caribbean dream behind, in part because of the climate. His house was built by and for locals, so there was no way to air condition it (louvered windows, etc.). I visited him a few times, and while it was certainly bearable, it could get rather hot & sticky after a while.

He said the worst part after living there a while wasn't the heat, but the humidity, specifically the fact that you never felt dry. You would step out of the shower in the morning, and whatever residual moisture was left on your skin would just linger there until it was replaced by sweat.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
Back on topic: beyond a certain point, I would be worried about the effect that might have on household "stuff"? Humidity isn't good for electronics, heat makes refrigerators work harder, etc. And I'm not really sure what effects it might have on the house itself?

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
It is common for some houses here to not have A/C. They are all brick construction and are typically built with a shared wall between two houses (if that makes sense). So on our block there is a row of about 7 houses all touching. I guess this helps keep the houses cooler. There are only windows in the front and back of the house. All of these have overhangs which help quite a bit. Our first floor houses most/all of our electronics and it doesn't have A/C anyway.

This challenge is still in its infancy, but nearly came to an end already tonight. I think it was around 35C. But we are still going strong. We will see how my parents will do when they arrive for a visit tomorrow. I think I will have to exempt them from the challenge.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »
Not here, thanks. We got our AC installed last summer when we spotted mold starting up a wall. It's pretty stable indoors here at 85% humidity unless we run AC or a dehumidifier, and the dehumidifier adds heat.

Folks who have been living in underground houses far longer than us tell us this gets much better about two years in as the concrete cures, and we should hit the two year mark about midsummer, so we may reevaluate, but if things aren't radically a change from last summer, no.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
I'd declare that I'm in except would it be cheating in that I've pretty much been a/c free at home for the last 7 years?
We don't have central in our old house.  We do have a couple of 30 year old window units. Sadly they cost tons to run and don't make a dent in our house temps so they're not even tempting.
Summer temps get up around 100F and we are often blessed with high humidity.
I'll be cheering for you!

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks Rezdent. We are still going strong and just 4 days left to hit our goal. My wife actually said she thinks we can make it longer. We may never turn it on!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
I'm in I guess, but similar to Rezdent I have no central AC and only one shitty window unit  so it's pretty much by default (although I'd like to think I'd still go no-AC if it was an option).

We'll see how it goes... I need to work on my window management. It was 75 out today and the thermostat says my living room is 82!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:05:30 PM by Russ »

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »
My motto is No airconditioning until 2030.

Bookworm

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
We're going to make it, but I admit that there has been a fair amount of complainypants noise coming from me. It has been unseasonably warm here (and it's not exactly cold in the Southern California desert in the first place) this year, and I'll just say that warm weather and a certain change of life, without AC, don't mix without some whining!

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
I literally just joined this board today or would have joined the challenge sooner.  The weather here's been fairly warm but hasn't crossed 90 yet.  That said, this house (a rental) collects a fair amount of heat during the day.  We've made it this far due to fans and being elsewhere during most of the hottest parts of the day, even with my other half being extremely sensitive to temps outside the 'official' comfort range.  Luckily, only a few more days to go!

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
That's a cool goal but I can't sleep if it's too hot.  Then it messes up my whole day.  Not worth it for me.

It may have something to do with the fact that my dad used to make me sleep upstairs in our house where it was freaking hot as heck all summer long.  Many restless nights.  I'm still a bit mad about it if you couldn't tell.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
I'm technically in this challenge. We bought a house in March and just discovered the A/C unit doesn't work. So until at least this Thursday when the repair guy gives us the dead/repair call, we are still going sans A/C.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
Hi
Today's the last May Day.   Checking in to see how's it going?  Less than 24 hours to go!

For us, we were blessed with rain last week.  Humidity is very high with temps in the mid 80s - but by August we'll be seeing triple digits so I'm really enjoying right now.

johnintaiwan
Think you might extend the challenge?

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
Damn, I didn't know this was a challenge but I was close. Wife wanted the AC on one day this month because my 2 year old son wasn't sleeping and covered in sweat. We just need to try with the window open, black out curtains make good insulators.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
Way to go mindaugas!
30 out of 31 is great.   It's tough when you have young kids.  It's hard to live with a cranky toddler with heat rash who needs more sleep when you are also hot and cranky - especially if you could make it better just by by throwing a switch.  If there was AC available...oh yeah, I've done it for the kids.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
Thanks, I normally go as long as I can to avoid heat and AC. We at least only had the AC on one night. I also like the windows open, fresh air is better air

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »
Success!

we made it to June 1st and see no reason to turn on the A/C yet. after midnight my wife was complaining she was hot and I told her we could turn on the A/C. She declined and redirected the fan. We may extend the challenge to July, or maybe never turn it on!

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
Woo Hoo!    Such AWESOME badassity!   ) If you can do this so can we.
THANK YOU for the challenge.  GO GO GO

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 04:34:54 AM »
Way more success than I thought.

We went down the street to the in-laws for lunch today and they admitted they turned on the AC yesterday! We are still going strong. I am pretty proud we beat them (though they didnt know it was a competition). They were pretty impresses that the foreigner was able to last this long without AC

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 04:39:20 AM »
Well done man. I'm doing this as well, but I'm assuming it will be much easier for us in Jersey City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »
We've made it through here in Kansas.  Just starting to hit the 90s regularly, but it cool at night still...and we have an attic fan to help pull the cool air in.  We're now shooting for July!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
I finally gave up. Turned it on today. 95 and high humidy.  DW wasn't liking it while doing house work during the day

SnpKraklePhyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
This winter was so brutal that I swear I will never turn on the AC and I promise never to complain.  Of course it hasn't even been tempting to turn it on yet in the Philly suburbs.  I probably will for a few days in August.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
It's on right now, we tried, maybe without kids ... :(

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »
a nice heavy rain for two days has given us some help. Still going strong, but think if we have a week of hot weather its gonna turn on.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:23 AM »
Also in Kansas and shooting for July.  We made it last year, but really suffered the last week or so.  The biggest challenge for me is heat in the kitchen.  We cook dinner every night and even with the oven off, it still gets so hot from the heat of the pans. 

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
I admit in Kaohsiung that I ran the AC pretty often.  Well, I have to qualify that a little bit, I telecommuted and ran the window unit in the bedroom which was designated as my office.  Somehow this attracted my wife to sleep in my office while I worked at night.  Our trip to Taiwan in August last year was brutal to us, I'd lost my edge on taking the heat and ran the AC quite a bit while there.

Now that we are back in the Pacific Northwest we haven't rat the AC at home ever.  The first two years we didn't even have an AC and now we have a house with central air and cooling.  Our neighbors have started providing us with a constant drip of free water from their AC units while we still haven't had the need to even test if the thing works.  So far we got up to maybe 76* inside and my wife finally switched from long sleeves to short sleeves.  I fully expect to be able to make great use of our high temperature swing and the layout of our house.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »
Also in Kansas and shooting for July.  We made it last year, but really suffered the last week or so.  The biggest challenge for me is heat in the kitchen.  We cook dinner every night and even with the oven off, it still gets so hot from the heat of the pans.
We definitely change our menus during summer.  More crockpot meals, more stir fry,  salads grilled dishes...I avoid turning the oven on if I can avoid it.  I bought an electric roaster that works great for most oven stuff and ran an extension cord to the patio. The crockpot/ roaster combo doesn't seem to throw as much heat as our oven

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »
We definitely change our menus during summer.  More crockpot meals, more stir fry,  salads grilled dishes...I avoid turning the oven on if I can avoid it.  I bought an electric roaster that works great for most oven stuff and ran an extension cord to the patio. The crockpot/ roaster combo doesn't seem to throw as much heat as our oven
We do the same (even though we wussed out already) and it's nice in the Evenings to enjoy hanging outside with friends and neighbors.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
We are lucky that we live in a split level with a family room in the "basement" level where it is always about 15 degrees F cooler than the rest of the house.  It has been kind of hot and humid over the past week, so I've just been spending all my time down there and leaving the AC off.  We have also been leaving our blinds lowered over the past few days, because we have huge south facing windows that really heat up the house via the "greenhouse effect".  Overnight, we've just been leaving all the windows open to create some air circulation and using ceiling fans.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
We are lucky that we live in a split level with a family room in the "basement" level where it is always about 15 degrees F cooler than the rest of the house.  It has been kind of hot and humid over the past week, so I've just been spending all my time down there and leaving the AC off.  We have also been leaving our blinds lowered over the past few days, because we have huge south facing windows that really heat up the house via the "greenhouse effect".  Overnight, we've just been leaving all the windows open to create some air circulation and using ceiling fans.

That's basically our plan too, just we aren't a split level, but just a two story house.  With the new center table and coffee table it actually feels pretty comfortable to sit downstairs and read.  Our houses here are fairly close together and run directly along latitudinal lines with our garage on the South side along with our master bedroom on the 2nd floor.  I insulated the garage during the winter which made a huge difference for getting ready for riding my bike, garage stays around 55-60* with the heat put off by the central air furnace and water heater.  Now that it is warming up I find that the garage still stays fairly cool, cooler than the 2nd floor by far.

We haven't had a very long hot streak yet so we haven't gotten to the point of testing out how to cool the house, this being our first year in it.  But the layout is perfect I believe.  The one night I did get to try out I had my office window, North side directly down the hall, open with a large window fan blowing OUT (push the heat out) and the window by my head in the bedroom open, no fan, and had a great breeze going from my window out to the office 50 ft away.  I wanted to try this with having the office pushing out and the downstairs windows open, but not sure how effective it will be, but I'll have all summer to try it out.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
We've had a couple 90+ days, but nothing in long succession and we have so far avoided turning on the A/C.   With the forecast ahead, it looks like we could make it to July before we turn it on.  Lots of days in the mid 80s with thunderstorms during the day and mid 60s overnight.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »
We made it until 6/15, which was my goal.  Forecast is fairly good until it hits mid 90's next week.  I think I'll set the thermostat to 80 to prevent the house from getting too warm during the day, and then try to keep doing the fans and open windows dance until I leave for my work trip on the 23rd.

I need to remember to get the fan exhausting hot air from the garage as soon as we get home at night.  Two cars with hot engines really heats it up, and the two upstairs bedrooms are directly above the garage, so they warm up as a result.  Should probably look into insulating the garage door to reduce the passive gain while we're gone during the day, too.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
We have no A/C (which is true of most german homes), so this isn't really a challenge since I have no choice.

But last week we topped 100, and it was unpleasant, to say the least.  I put in extra volunteer hours at the library since it is one of the few places that have A/C.  But sleeping in our hot house was rough.  We can't do a very successful heat chimney because the nly windows on the top floor are on a highly slanted ceiling/roof surface.  So when they are open, they are *open*.  Given the possibility for night thunderstorms, we can't do more than leave them slightly cracked.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
We are still holding out. There was a storm that passed by the island over the weekend so we got some light rain and kept the temps down. Looks like we might make it to July. maybe I need to change the title of the thread.

SnpKraklePhyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
I still haven't turned mine on.  I still haven't really been tempted.  Might be ninety today - if so it would be the first time this summer I think.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
It's been cold here, we got maybe a week of hitting high 70's or 80 and then it's been struggling to reach 70 most days.  I sure miss the heat :-(.  At this rate we probably won't ever use our AC.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Okay.  It's starting to get warm here, 90's all week.  July - September we'll see 100+ days and I will be missing these 90's

It's much easier to go to work now.  I work in an air conditioned office :).
I'm not even tempted to stay home during the day.  By evening it's cooling off when I get home.
The downside is that I can't acclimate to the heat going back and forth so weekends are not as fun.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 09:07:14 PM »
We're supposed to hit 90s with overnights in the 70s today, tomorrow and Wednesday and then drop back down to 80s and overnights 50s and 60s.  I think we can make it to July! (Especially if I can convince our hot, sweaty 6yo to stop climbing in bed with us at 2am...that's more miserable than the actual heat!)

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »
Still holding out but this week will be tough with highs in the mid 90's and humidity ranging up to 75%. It's actually not too bad downstairs but we like to spend time in the upstairs game room after dinner and the kids sleep upstairs. Told my wife she should run the AC during the day if it gets bad but she's hanging in there much better than I expected. We've also talked about changing cooking strategy. We had baked potatoes from the oven last night but they will probably go in the microwave next time.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
We turned ours on for the first time on June 13 due to guests. Then, it cooled down so we turned it off and were able to do windows. Now, it's abut 90F at 0930 in the morning. We're in for a hot week, so we'll have the AC set high (about 80) and use ceiling fans. Hopefully, we can still save both energy and money by keeping the AC high.

Good luck to anyone else who still has not turned on the AC!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Seriously, it's been cold here in the Northwest, we had it easy during the winter but now we're paying for it.  Last night I was seriously considering turning the heater back on.  My wife has started wearing layers again and I have to plan on layers for work, already brought out the long sleeve reflector jacket for the bike ride.  I keep seeing the weather report saying in two days it'll be in the mid 70's or 80's, then the next day it changes the forecast back to mid 60's.  House ambient temperature has dropped to 64, we try to keep it at 65 during the day while it's winter.

Strangely though our neighbors have still provided us with buckets of water for our garden from their air conditioner.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »
It is pretty hot everyday here now, but we are still going strong. We almost turned it on last night, but my wife remembered we havent cleaned the A/C dust filters this year and was afraid it would all come out on top of us. So i guess our laziness/procrastination has helped us make it a little longer. Two weeks left, I think we can make it to July!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Still holding out with no A/C here in Boston. Things got dicey the other night as temps climbed, but the only one panting was our hound, so I think we can tough it out longer. I'd love to make it to... July. August? We shall see. It's still pretty temperate here, but our resolve may melt as we have more 90 degree days.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Still holding out with no A/C here in Boston. Things got dicey the other night as temps climbed, but the only one panting was our hound, so I think we can tough it out longer. I'd love to make it to... July. August? We shall see. It's still pretty temperate here, but our resolve may melt as we have more 90 degree days.

Gotta love Boston.  At the end of May, we went from wanting the AC on (we resisted) to wanting the heat on (we resisted), and yes, in that order of events.  I'm hoping to keep the AC off all summer long, or if we must, just put up our unit AC in the bedroom rather than use the whole house AC.  We got a beautifully cool finished basement.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
We finally cracked. The wife wanted ac on last night. We made it to June 19th, 19 days past our goal. I am pretty happy about that, but was really hoping we could make it to july. We were so close! Always next year I guess.