Author Topic: No A/C All Summer  (Read 13260 times)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
No A/C All Summer
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
I'm making this as a continuation of JohnInTaiwan's thread No A/C Untill June.  So far we have made it through a couple hot streaks with a whole week of 90F+, and nights getting only into the mid 60's.  For the most part we have a pretty substantial 30* difference in daytime high and nighttime low.  With some smart management of fans we have been able to keep our house below 80F at the hottest part during the day, and get down to 70F or less at night.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No A/C All Summer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
We have window units, but thus far have been able to avoid using on in our 2nd level bedroom.  (The kids' bedroom gets much warmer, they have been using a window unit since July 1st.)  I'll see if I can keep our bedroom just fan-cooled for the rest of the summer.  The hottest month will soon be upon us.  We are southwest of Philadelphia, PA, so near the mid-atlantic steam bath summer, but I'll try to stay strong...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
Move to SF.  No AC ever.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »
I failed this last night. I hadn't used the aircon once, but with 89% humidity and 31C temps outside in the dead of night, I found it difficult to fall asleep. It's off again, though.

I really appreciate this attitude toward aircon! So many of my coworkers have had theirs blasting since May.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »
Abnormally cool summer here, but there was a short hot spell we used it during. I definitely prefer keeping the windows open all the time, however. A/C is a measure of last resort, makes me feel claustrophobic.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
I don't like a/c. It's too cold. I don't like fans either--the cold air flow is uncomfortable. My husband likes both. He runs much hotter than I do. (We will be sitting next to each other. I will be shivering in a sweater. He will be sweating in a t-shirt.) So it's a balancing game. So far we're using a fan at night, but no a/c. (I think it helps that I'm the one home all day when it gets hot. His work is air conditioned!)

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
I'll join in on this. I'm usually a big wussy when it comes to heat. I don't sleep well, get cranky, etc. Well, we've had a few weeks of 100+ degree weather, and I've started soaking a hawaiian shirt and wearing it rather than turn on the A/C. Still haven't pulled the window unit out of the shed. I'm also keeping my hair really short so I can wear a wet buff to keep my cool, too.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
I failed this last night. I hadn't used the aircon once, but with 89% humidity and 31C temps outside in the dead of night, I found it difficult to fall asleep. It's off again, though.

I really appreciate this attitude toward aircon! So many of my coworkers have had theirs blasting since May.
My wife's family is from Taiwan (she love's your soap opera's) and I lived there for 6 years so we both understand the 31C at night.  While I telecommuted there I ran the a/c to keep my computer cool, and my wife often slept in my office while I worked.  I forget what temperature we kept it at (pre-mustachian days), but it wasn't below 24C

At church was a different thing, people would turn that down to 16C, I'd be pouring sweat outside, then shivering cold as soon as I stepped in.  I don't quite understand why people want it to be a refrigerator inside.  At the language school I attended the A/C didn't come on until it was 30C, and then they would set it for only 28C.

As a young lad growing up in the Pacific Northwest I slept with a fan year round, just got used to the noise.  Often found it difficult to sleep at friends houses unless the heater came on and I could hear it's melodic hum.  Broke that habit this winter being back in the states due to my wife's complaints of it being too cold with the heater set to 10C while outside temps were 0C or so.  What really helped with that was figuring the electric cost of running my fan for really no apparent reason other than the noise.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
I'll join in on this. I'm usually a big wussy when it comes to heat. I don't sleep well, get cranky, etc. Well, we've had a few weeks of 100+ degree weather, and I've started soaking a hawaiian shirt and wearing it rather than turn on the A/C. Still haven't pulled the window unit out of the shed. I'm also keeping my hair really short so I can wear a wet buff to keep my cool, too.

We haven't hit 100+ yet here in the great PNW but we had a week or so of 90+ temps.  I just basked in the sunlight, it was torture having to be in an office all day.  My house almost seems like it was built with cross ventilation in mind.  My home office door opens to the hallway which goes the full length of our house, and is directly in line with our master bedroom.  The windows also line up well too so we get a rather nice breeze going by.  The orientation is just right in that we generally get a North wind which blows from my home office through to our bedroom.  The insulation we added in the winter also seems to be working just fine for the summer.

I got my haircut just in time for a cool streak to come through and drop us into the 70's for a week.  Oh well, still excited for the 80+ we are heading into this weekend, the tropical life really spoiled me with high temps.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »
Moved into my new apt in May...haven't used the AC yet. Didn't plan it that way really or even think that it would be possible. I live in Ft Worth. I'm lucky that we've had a mild summer thus far, and that my apt is on the 1st floor and doesn't get direct sunlight. I've been able to make do with the ceiling fan. Just got my electric bill... $12.60. I can live with that :).

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Moved into my new apt in May...haven't used the AC yet. Didn't plan it that way really or even think that it would be possible. I live in Ft Worth. I'm lucky that we've had a mild summer thus far, and that my apt is on the 1st floor and doesn't get direct sunlight. I've been able to make do with the ceiling fan. Just got my electric bill... $12.60. I can live with that :).

That's surprising based on my family and friends' posts on Facebook. They're in DFW, too.

Hasn't it gotten over 100 regularly lately? Or no?

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:13 AM »

That's surprising based on my family and friends' posts on Facebook. They're in DFW, too.

Hasn't it gotten over 100 regularly lately? Or no?

Noper,  it's only touched it a few times at most. It IS humid, of course :). This weekend is forecasted to hit triple digits, but then Tues through Fri is not supposed to even reach 90.

somecobwebs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 12:18:46 AM »
Moved into the new place a week ago, and we haven't turned it on yet - hoping to make it all summer! We're lucky - low humidity in my area - but we've also carefully scheduled window openings/closings, as well as when we draw the blinds (i.e. in the east-facing room first thing in the morning). Today was the biggest test, but I discovered a brilliant use for some pointless decorative ceramic balls that were left over from college days - popped them in the freezer, and then had a nice icy piece of ceramic that I could rub on the back of my neck while working!! When it got warm, I just swapped it for another. It was super effective!

LudicrousSpeed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:52:05 AM »
In the journals I like describing my weather as "hot as balls". I don't typically check the temperature, but when I get in the car that's been in the sun all day, it reads 111F.  Only ran the AC a few days when the BF visited since he runs way hot. It's 85F in the apt right now, but I run cold so with the fan, I'm comfortable. It's not like I exercise in here, the fitness center has AC, as does the clubhouse, or I can dip in the pool. Life's good :)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
It was still 75* downstairs in the morning, so I took our fan and put it in the window before leaving.  It had risen from 58* to 64* in about half an hours time, so I told my wife to take the fan out in about 30 minutes.  I called her during lunch and she had fallen asleep right after I left and woke up 2 hours later.  Not sure what the temp is, but she says it feels a bit warmer than before.  Probably still won't use the A/C today, but it's funny how sometimes our best intentions end up backfiring.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Today is the hottest day of summer yet, supposed to hit 100* today.  Barely cooled the house at all yesterday with a low outside being in mid 60's.  My wife reported the temp inside at 78* now, so it may get into the low 80's inside.  Not sure if we'll need to crank on the AC today, some cooler weather is supposed to come in the next three days.  If we can make it through today we'll probably be good for the rest of August.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
I was wearing a sweater this morning. Where's my challenge?
I admire those of you who have actually been having hot weather, though.

FrugalByNature

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
I have also resolved to try make it through a Tennessee hot, humid summer with no A/C.  I have saved a ton of money that usually goes to THE BIG BAD UTILITY COMPANY...my kind of sweat equity!  Yeah!  Money in my pocket!  Badassity!

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
Today is the hottest day of summer yet, supposed to hit 100* today.  Barely cooled the house at all yesterday with a low outside being in mid 60's.  My wife reported the temp inside at 78* now, so it may get into the low 80's inside.  Not sure if we'll need to crank on the AC today, some cooler weather is supposed to come in the next three days.  If we can make it through today we'll probably be good for the rest of August.

For most of June and July, my place was sitting in between 79 - 87 (got to 98 inside one day). Thankfully it cools off pretty quick once the sun sets. Still haven't used it, which is awesome for me, since normally I'm a big baby when it comes to heat.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »

For most of June and July, my place was sitting in between 79 - 87 (got to 98 inside one day). Thankfully it cools off pretty quick once the sun sets. Still haven't used it, which is awesome for me, since normally I'm a big baby when it comes to heat.

Holy cow!  98?!  I was feeling relatively badass making it through the (mild) summer here in Indiana without AC.  The hottest it's been inside the house is 84.

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

Holy cow!  98?!  I was feeling relatively badass making it through the (mild) summer here in Indiana without AC.  The hottest it's been inside the house is 84.

Yeah. It sucked a bit. "Fortunately", it wasn't necessarily because it was that hot all day, it was just that the design of my house sucks. It gets hot really quick, and takes forever to cool down. Sitting on the back porch with my laptop, a beer, and a wet headband made it bearable. After 3 beers it was elevated to pleasant. After 5...I was having a blast. :-)

Also, we've had a really wet and mild summer here this year. Only a couple of days in the triple digits, and a ridiculous amount of rain that does a great job of cooling things down.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »

Yesterday the official high in the house downstairs was 81*.  I made a dumb mistake last night though.  My friend was coming over to visit for the week and his arrival was accelerated by a couple days.  It was a scorcher yesterday and was taking forever to cool down outside but since I had to pick him up about an hour away I figured I'll put the fan in the window now and it'll be alright.  My wife reported back to me that night that after I left the upstairs got really warm.  I should have just set things up and told her to turn it on once it cooled, or even have just waited until we got back.  Oh well, it cooled off nicely last night and before waking up we were both under covers with no legs sticking out.

Unfortunately the downstairs did not cool down at all, the small fan actually fell on the floor and was just blowing air up and adding it's own heat, 79*.  Luckily my visiting friend is one I met in Taiwan so all three of us are used to hot humid weather.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
I've been very pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to use my AC yet. Amazed, really.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:03:03 AM »
'Ello to all y'all Fort Worthers. While I didn't QUITE keep up, given the triple-digit temps the last couple of weeks I likewise have been delighted with only having to use my AC twice so far this year, once being for other people's comfort for a party. I found 86-87 inside my personal line given the humidity lately. This morning's welcome drop into the mid-70s meant gathering cool air for a couple of hours; the main factors here are good insulation, strategic use of windows and ceiling/ vent system fans to cycle out hot air overnight, and not using incandescent bulbs or cooking carelessly. Turning the vent fans on manually after one AC cycle to keep distributing the cooler air also seemed to make the most of the AC the one time I used it for myself and appropriate application of shorts, mist spray, and icy drinks have resulted in the decadent delight of summer goosebumps many times.

Someday I fantasize about a house with a kitchen vent with a sealable chimney straight outside for use in summer... or, y'know, a barbecue.

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »
'Ello to all y'all Fort Worthers. While I didn't QUITE keep up, given the triple-digit temps the last couple of weeks I likewise have been delighted with only having to use my AC twice so far this year, once being for other people's comfort for a party. I found 86-87 inside my personal line given the humidity lately. This morning's welcome drop into the mid-70s meant gathering cool air for a couple of hours; the main factors here are good insulation, strategic use of windows and ceiling/ vent system fans to cycle out hot air overnight, and not using incandescent bulbs or cooking carelessly. Turning the vent fans on manually after one AC cycle to keep distributing the cooler air also seemed to make the most of the AC the one time I used it for myself and appropriate application of shorts, mist spray, and icy drinks have resulted in the decadent delight of summer goosebumps many times.

Someday I fantasize about a house with a kitchen vent with a sealable chimney straight outside for use in summer... or, y'know, a barbecue.

Oh yes. I don't cook in the house until after dark. Dinner most nights is either a raw veggie shake, or something cooked on the grill. I've gotten pretty creative with the options I have...grilled roasted stir fry, mmmm.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
Cooler weather came in, got the downstairs down to 74* without using a fan, just the window cracked a little.  Toilet sprung a leak though, luckily it was just a little drip and after a full day of going unnoticed it was about a cups worth of water on the floor.  Another cool day today so we are leaving the vent on all day with another fan blowing into it.

After today it is supposed to warm back up to the mid 80's with it maybe hitting 90* over the weekend.  Pretty sure we can just cruise through this.  I'm going to miss the heat when it's gone.

Any thoughts on when the official end should be?  First day of Fall (September 23rd)?  September 1st?

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
Cooler weather came in, got the downstairs down to 74* without using a fan, just the window cracked a little.  Toilet sprung a leak though, luckily it was just a little drip and after a full day of going unnoticed it was about a cups worth of water on the floor.  Another cool day today so we are leaving the vent on all day with another fan blowing into it.

After today it is supposed to warm back up to the mid 80's with it maybe hitting 90* over the weekend.  Pretty sure we can just cruise through this.  I'm going to miss the heat when it's gone.

Any thoughts on when the official end should be?  First day of Fall (September 23rd)?  September 1st?

I'm going with "Until I Don't Feel Like I Need It", but I'm a bit of a masochist.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
... Oh yes. I don't cook in the house until after dark. Dinner most nights is either a raw veggie shake, or something cooked on the grill. I've gotten pretty creative with the options I have...grilled roasted stir fry, mmmm.

This is my #1 reason for wanting a blender. Being able to prepare foods cold is so nice and I love smoothies & frappes. I've been spoiling myself on homemade frozen yogurt but it's dense and not something you can have a big satisfying serving of.

Once I do have a place to have a grill I plan on getting a griddle pan and doing tieban/ teppanyaki and fajitas all the time. Toss in light marinade in the morning, cook in the evening. As it is, though my cooking is better for winter - lots of breads, pizza, soups, stews...

kayteeflick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
My roommate and I chose not to purchase an AC to prevent the temptation all together. We generally have a couple fans going at night and pull all the shades before heading to work in the morning.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »

When you need the heat? lol. Maybe October? I think Sept is still a/c weather in a lot of places.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »

When you need the heat? lol. Maybe October? I think Sept is still a/c weather in a lot of places.

last year Helloween it wa -40 here...

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »

And don't you dare turn on that A/C when it happens!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 07:54:39 AM »

Lol.. nope never have turned on the A/C in the snow...

jordanread

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »

Why would you? I just open the windows. Well, I used to, when I was single.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »

Why would you? I just open the windows. Well, I used to, when I was single.
When I was young I would sleep with the fan in the window snuggled up in a 0* sleeping bag all winter. Now my wife won't let me get away with that.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
No A/C this summer, so it looks like we'll make it to the end.  Of course, it was a mild summer in New England, but still.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Had a couple close calls this last week.  We had a friend visiting, but he is also from Taiwan so the heat wasn't bad.  With fans at night and being out all day we managed to make it through the hot day, then we had a couple cool days.  Looks like another heat streak is coming up, but I'm sure we'll be able to glide through it.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »
I will have completed this on Saturday! (Moving into a new place with AC included in the rent) Living in Cambridge MA, a lot of places don't have AC built in so I didn't buy an AC unit.

The one difficulty was that the office I work in is very cold so it was a shock to go from frigid to the hot out door temp. Other than that, going without AC was pretty easy.

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
I was able to make it this summer without using the AC. I usually put in 2 window units. I was a pretty mild summer.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
As with jrhampt, I'm a CTer and we've had the mildest summer here I can remember (and I'm a born and raised CTer), so making this challenge was relatively easy.  A couple warm days here and there but nothing untenable. 

I'm moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in the next few weeks/months (as soon as I find a finance job there) to follow my fiance (who's moving there this weekend) so hopefully the midwest heat won't ruin our record.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »
I didn't see this gauntlet earlier but I've only used my A/C one day this summer. It was really hot and I was worried about my dog while I was at work. It was silly to worry, my garden-level apartment stays nice and cool. However, this has been an uncharacteristically mild and beautiful Minnesota summer.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
I'm fairly certain I won't be needed my AC anymore this summer (finally cool in the evenings!)

My landlord puts my units in for me... Last summer I had one in the bedroom that ran continuously through the night and one in the kitchen that I ran fairly often. This summer, I didn't even put in the bedroom unit, and I ran the other unit only three times - twice when it was ridiculously hot and humid outside (and I was grumpy, as heat makes me), and once when I woke up from a very restless night (it was very hot and my nuclear powerplant of a cat insisted on sleeping on top of me). The past few nights I've been sleeping with a fan in my bedroom window, bringing my room down to about 60 degrees F, making it lovely and freezing to sleep :)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
It's starting to feel like fall here, especially with the cooler highs we have seen today.  I was disappointed to leave the office yesterday and find that it was almost cooler outside than it was in the office.  This is my first full year biking, I started on January 1st and have only missed 2 days.  Hoping the switch to fall and winter will go smoothly.

Our A/C still has not been tested out yet, not sure if I should care about it for resale value, or just think to leave it in whatever state it may be in until we want to sell at some unknown point in the future.  I'll still holding out until September before I declare myself a winner in this challenge.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
I'm fairly certain I won't be needed my AC anymore this summer (finally cool in the evenings!)

My landlord puts my units in for me... Last summer I had one in the bedroom that ran continuously through the night and one in the kitchen that I ran fairly often. This summer, I didn't even put in the bedroom unit, and I ran the other unit only three times - twice when it was ridiculously hot and humid outside (and I was grumpy, as heat makes me), and once when I woke up from a very restless night (it was very hot and my nuclear powerplant of a cat insisted on sleeping on top of me). The past few nights I've been sleeping with a fan in my bedroom window, bringing my room down to about 60 degrees F, making it lovely and freezing to sleep :)

Yessssss Lol.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
Surprisingly here in the NW we are still having 85* days into October!  Temperature swings earlier in the evening and we haven't even thought of turning on the A/C, we're more focused on how to keep that heat in for the cold nights.  We have replaced our filters after 9 months (3 months of usage + 6 months of being dormant during spring/summer/now into fall).  For us at least I'd say we passed this challenge.  Hope to see you all on here next summer :-)

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
We made it through the relatively mild summer with only having AC during two stretches when company stayed with us in the upstairs rooms.

That is the good news.

The bad news - the heater kicked in last night already!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
No AC all summer!  And yes, DH went to go put on the heat last night w/o telling me, and apparently it wouldn't turn on, so we may be doing a no heat during winter challenge.  (I kid - not going to happen in Boston.  Will have to get it looked at.)

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
We had our a/c on one night: we had guests who specifically asked us to turn it on so they could sleep. Other than that, we didn't use it. Calling it a success. But it wasn't a hot summer here, so it's no great accomplishment.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
I can recall three days in total that we indulged this year in North Texas. The first was for a party/ guests. The second and third were when we got to triple digits and I hit my upper indoor limit: 87 fahrenheit. I'd say that's a pretty booming success. My highest electric bill was $29.

(It seems like my biggest energy hog is an inefficient fridge. I live in an apartment and would LOVE to replace it - along with the water heater. A tankless would give me another whole closet to use.)