Author Topic: National Bike to Work Week  (Read 8179 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
National Bike to Work Week
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
Starts tomorrow!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: National Bike to Work Week
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:41 AM »
Rode to work today! BAM!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
Woo hoo! I've been slacking recently, so this is my week to get back into it.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:51 AM »
1 down 9 to go!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
I didn't know that was this week.  I set my alarm to get up in time to ride my bike but I was really tired from running yesterday so I decided to skip it.  I will be back on the bike Wednesday though.  We're having awesome weather if you don't mind a little heat.  I love it.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
3 down, 7 to go. I added an additional 20 mile workout ride this morning.

Anyone on Strava?

avonlea

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
I am doing this too, but am biking to school.  :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
I didn't know about this, but in my area, Kaiser Permanente (large health insurer) declared that last Thursday 5/8 was Bike to Work Day.  They set up refreshment tents on the side of the road where you could stop and get gatorade or a granola bar or something.  There was a lot of extra bike traffic, so it seems they got the word out.  This brought up conflicting ideas in my head.  I'm happy so many more people were riding and I hope that they continue and get the same benefit I get.  But at the same time, damn man, do you think you could speed it up just a little?  I don't mind slowing down until I can pass, but you're going like 6 MPH.  You're probably not even sweating!  Good thing you stopped for that Gatorade!  Hahhahaha, I'm kind of dick. (at least in my head)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
I only work weekends, but I've put in ~30 miles last two days. Would have done more, but really glad I didn't last night. We had a wicked hailstorm roll through about 10 minutes after I got home from errands.

Good luck all!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
My workplace clearly hasn't gotten the memo. It's still just three of us (out of ~40) zipping around on bikes. The guys in the apartment complex .75 miles away are still driving their cars.

avonlea

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
I only work weekends, but I've put in ~30 miles last two days. Would have done more, but really glad I didn't last night. We had a wicked hailstorm roll through about 10 minutes after I got home from errands.

Yikes.  Glad you missed that.

Nancy

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »
I've been glad to see so many cyclists out. It feels like (I imagine) riding in a bike gang. Another bonus is that my city patched up a few of the larger craters on my route and added another bike lane!  I hope people stick with it.

To add to Eric's point, I sort of wish that if I pass you and then stop at a red light, you won't slowly piss trickle through the stop light so I have to pass you again. But I'd much rather have to pass people then not have them out there!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
My workplace clearly hasn't gotten the memo. It's still just three of us (out of ~40) zipping around on bikes. The guys in the apartment complex .75 miles away are still driving their cars.
That's almost 10%, not terrible. My last office was 1 for 5 and the one before that was 2 for 150.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »
There are about 500 people at my company.  I see on average two to three other bikes in the bike rack each morning.  AND we have employee showers.  :P

As an aside . . . my bike commute became a hell of a lot better yesterday when I realized that my seat post had slipped nearly an inch and a half lower over the last few months.  It must have slipped very slightly over a long period of time so I didn't notice until my knees started to hurt.  Moved 'er back into position and holy hell was it ever more comfortable/effortless for the bike ride home!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
2 days so far this week!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
There are about 500 people at my company.  I see on average two to three other bikes in the bike rack each morning.  AND we have employee showers.  :P

I work in a 50-floor office building. Okay, really only floors 8-50 are occupied, so that's 42 floors. And the building is actually served by two different parking garages... but, my parking garage ALSO serves a probably ~22 floor building next door. Anyway, let's assume there should be about 40 floors of employees using my parking garage, which has a nice badge-accessed secure bike cage. We don't have employee showers, but there is a gym in the building that you could purchase a membership to.

90% of the time my bike is THE ONLY one in the cage, besides two extremely old dirty mountain bikes that I think have just been abandoned there. What the fuck?!!?!

To be fair, I did have a coworker tell me that when he biked to work (before moving further away), he would lock his bike in the executive garage directly under our building for additional convenience, and no one seemed to mind... so maybe a ton of people are doing that? I'm skeptical that it could be THAT many...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
The abandoned mountain bike thing is a problem at our work too . . . we have two chained up, one has been there for more than two years, the other one is relatively new . . . less than eight months for sure.

Who the hell just bikes in to work one day and never bikes home???  Weird.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »
Who the hell just bikes in to work one day and never bikes home???  Weird.

Someone how gets fired that day and walks to the bar down the street instead of biking home. 9)

Edit: Added quote

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
I finally made it today.  My thighs were still a little sore from Sunday's run (OK, I obviously need to run more often!) but the bike ride loosened them up.  Then reading on the bus, lalala.  I have tomorrow off to work on my water lines, then I can ride again on Friday.  Sweet, warm, dry weather.... 

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
I didn't know about this, but in my area, Kaiser Permanente (large health insurer) declared that last Thursday 5/8 was Bike to Work Day.  They set up refreshment tents on the side of the road where you could stop and get gatorade or a granola bar or something.  There was a lot of extra bike traffic, so it seems they got the word out.  This brought up conflicting ideas in my head.  I'm happy so many more people were riding and I hope that they continue and get the same benefit I get.  But at the same time, damn man, do you think you could speed it up just a little?  I don't mind slowing down until I can pass, but you're going like 6 MPH.  You're probably not even sweating!  Good thing you stopped for that Gatorade!  Hahhahaha, I'm kind of dick. (at least in my head)

I feel like regular bikers feel about Bike to Work Week the same way serious alcoholics feel about New Years and St. Patrick's Day.  Where did all these amateurs come from?

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
I feel like regular bikers feel about Bike to Work Week the same way serious alcoholics feel about New Years and St. Patrick's Day.  Where did all these amateurs come from?

+1

But at the same time, it's kind of nice to see a bunch of new faces, even if they do end up weaving their way to their destination.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »

Lol! +1

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I couldn't even ride on Friday, as my plumbing problems were not solved so I had to take that day off, too.  Oh well, I learned a lot about plumbing. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
Hahhahaha, I'm kind of dick. (at least in my head)

As long as it stays in your own head, you are all good.  Its when it spills out of my mouth that I get in trouble :)

8.5 miles for me this morning (and the first 1.5 was taking CheapskateKiddo to school)  He was "strait pimpin" on his orange hook-em-up and sunglasses.  All the  kindergarten girls were appropriately impressed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!