Author Topic: Mr Low Goal  (Read 4087 times)

jon o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mr Low Goal
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
All,

I will report my progress here routinely.

One -

Two years ago this weekend I joined weightwatchers. It went well. I lost about 25 pounds and have kept it off. Additionally, the weight loss has been sustainable. That is the good news.

Now the bad news. I am 6' 2" and this morning I weighed in at ~253 pounds. And I am out of shape.

Now more good news. Last Monday, I started following the weight watchers program again (to the letter) and exercising. I found a simple bodyweight program on a Crossfit website. (15 reps squats / 15 wussy pull-ups / 15 wussy pushups. Repeat without rest. I started with 3 cycles and will add one cycle per week.)

My goals in no particular order…

2 pull-ups
10 push-ups
100 squats (free weight)
Run 0.5 miles under four minutes
Do all this within 20 minutes
Remove enough fat so that my abs are visible

… Of course, this is all a bit random. But if I can perform this (or even get close this year), I will be much healthier and look better.

Two -

I will drive ten less miles per month and I will replace the travel by foot or bike.

Three -

I will save 20% of my gross and develop a plan to get to 30%.

Four -

I will execute my investment plan.

Five -

I will coach at least one sport/event for each of my children.

Thank you

Mr Low Goal

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mr Low Goal
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Will you be coaching at different times of the year?

If you want to join us in this thread, please feel welcome:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/goal-100-pushups-200-situps-join-me!/

jon o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
Yes, I should be able to split their events... late winter/spring, spring/summer and fall. The only problem is travel, so I am working through the details.

I'll check out the thread. Given my current shape, 100 pushups seems daunting.

Thank you

jon o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
1.5 weeks in...

Good news (1) Still doing it (2) Made some progress

Started with 15 reps squats / 15 wussy pull-ups / 15 wussy pushups. Repeat without rest. I started with 3 cycles and will add one cycle per week

Completed tonight 20 reps squats / 20 wussy pull-ups / 5 REAL pushups (completed 3 cycles)

Questions (1) The pushups take me to failure, but I could do more squats/pullups... Should I be taking a day off every so often? (2) I want to take a Crossfit class, but I am so out of shape... Any ideas on how good of shape I should be in before I take a class?

A have been making my way through the other post (noted by the first reply).

Thank you

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
(2) I want to take a Crossfit class, but I am so out of shape... Any ideas on how good of shape I should be in before I take a class?

Hey Jon,

If you're willing to accept the hefty monetary installments that Crossfit brings, you should start right now. A huge benefit of crossfit (and this will/should be explained to you) is that it is scalable, which means you can do the workout with whatever weights suit you safely. If they call for 185# deadlifts and you only feel comfortable doing 55# deadlifts, you do those. Plus, most boxes have very capable and friendly coaches that will guide you through the exercises as necessary.

Good luck!

jon o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
Progress after two weeks

Completed tonight 25 squats / 15 wussy pull-ups / 5 real pushups (completed 3 cycles)

Signed up to coach summer bball

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:14:21 PM »
If you're doing 15 pullups, you're not in as bad shape as you though.

genesismachine

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
My goals in no particular order…

2 pull-ups
10 push-ups
100 squats (free weight)
Run 0.5 miles under four minutes
Do all this within 20 minutes
Remove enough fat so that my abs are visible

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but your goals are very very tilted towards your legs. You'll be able to do 10 pushups in no time. 100 squats is quite a bit though. Also, 2 pullups could be very challenging unless you drop serious weight.

You mention you want to see your abs, but you have no core work. If I were you, I'd drop the pushups and squats and say 30 burpees instead. That'll hit your core too. "Abs are made in the kitchen" is only true if you actually have muscle under there. I've been ~10% body fat with no definition, now I'm ~20% body fat with more definition (but much more muscle).

Sorry if this comes off as critical, I like your goals, and want you to achieve them :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!