Author Topic: Mortgage Payoff Club!!  (Read 1076474 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mortgage Payoff Club!!
« Reply #1400 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »
Let's try to keep it civil, BH. PM sent, per your suggestion.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
I'll start by saying I respect the thread for it's value in providing a place for members who have decided to pay off their mortgage as a place to congregate. And share enthusiasm.

But in the real world that we live in. In the good ole us of a. This is completely detrimental to most  if not all participants.  And encourages people who do not understand that this is something they should partake in.

This very thread is worse financially in the United States than
1 hiring a lawn mower
2 owning a washing machine and dryer
3 eating out daily
4 hiring a house cleaner
5 owning a brand new Escalade.

Many here have admitted that they understand that it's not financially the best decision but makes them feel better. Well to that I ask what personal feeling are we not to have conversations about here. If someone started a thread about buying a new Escalade because " it feels so good". People would show up in droves to help that person out. There is a reason people aren't constantly posting about why you should pay off your mortgage and why dicey and I post in many places about this. It's not to shame or ridicule those who do but to try to help people understand the other side and how much better it is in the long run.

General Americans mentality is go into debt and buy things. This site helps people understand how to mitigate that but there is currently a gift from the govt in front of us and people should exploit that.

If you make so much money like BH it really doesn't matter so be it. But the lower income people who may come here thinking debt us bad see this thread and join in the fun of a very poor financial decision when optimization would cut multiple years off a job they don't want to be in at 60

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1402 on: November 29, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
I for one appreciate the input of boarder42 and dicey etc. I'm convinced that if I were American I would have changed my mind. As it is, I have looked at my maths and challenged my assumptions. I have come to the conclusion that there is very minimal difference between paying or not paying my mortgage. The differences between Australia and America that produce this result include:

Higher interest rates  (mine is approx 4.5%)

Shorter fixed term then has to be renegotiated or the rate becomes variable. (I have 1 year left of a 3year fixed rate term)

Redraw facilities (any extra I pay off my mortgage automatically reduces principal and is available to redraw whenever I want. This is a tax free 4.5% return without even having to lock the money away like a term deposit)

Australia doesn't allow income tax deductions for interest on property you are living in.  On the flip side income from investments is generally taxed at my marginal rate (currently 36%). This brings the expected return much closer to my interest rate. I worked out less than 1% difference on an 8% return. To me, that isn't worth the extra risk.

Instead, I have compromised. I have increased our super savings (tax reduced to 15% so much better return) and slowed down the mortgage payoff.  Super is locked away until age 60 so I'm hesitant to save too much there but will definitely increase contributions for the next few years.

I believe it is a good thing to revisit decisions and see if your initial conclusion still holds true when new information is available or even if circumstances have changed.  Changes can happen so gradually that you don't notice that what might have worked in the past no longer does.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
For 3+ years, this thread has been a community of like-minded people working hard to change their behavior and become free of debt.   It's a way of becoming FI espoused by world renowned personal finance coaches including Dave Ramsey, Ron Blue and multiple others.    And FWIW, I come back here to encourage and be encouraged because it's important someone hear your success when the rest of the world are sukkas spending every shekel they earn monthly as slaves serving their loans.     It's sad a few smarter-than-thou killjoys want to miss the point and discuss leverage and any excuses to continue being slave to a lender.   Behavior change and wisdom to free up your cash flow to grow wealth even faster while sleeping better is the point here.   If you aren't a fan of such behavior change, then don't let the virtual door hit your @$$ on the way out of this like minded community.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1404 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
For 3+ years, this thread has been a community of like-minded people working hard to change their behavior and become free of debt.   It's a way of becoming FI espoused by world renowned personal finance coaches including Dave Ramsey, Ron Blue and multiple others.    And FWIW, I come back here to encourage and be encouraged because it's important someone hear your success when the rest of the world are sukkas spending every shekel they earn monthly as slaves serving their loans.     It's sad a few smarter-than-thou killjoys want to miss the point and discuss leverage and any excuses to continue being slave to a lender.   Behavior change and wisdom to free up your cash flow to grow wealth even faster while sleeping better is the point here.   If you aren't a fan of such behavior change, then don't let the virtual door hit your @$$ on the way out of this like minded community.
It's sad that some people are so unwilling to learn that they consider the teachers "killjoys".

The people you reference so reverently deal primarily with people trying to dig themselves out of debt, and for that, they are to be applauded. Are you aware the guys you named aren't universally regarded here?

The purpose of this site is primarily about how to buy back your life by hitting FIRE as efficiently as possible. This is a completely different goal than clawing your way out of indentured servitude. It's probably pretty accurate to say the majority of mustachians are not in sukka consumer debt up to their eyeballs. The fact that we discuss different things reflects that.

Your last sentence is so preposterous, all I can do is laugh, shake my head ruefully and wish you all the best.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #1405 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »
Well, I am out of the club. We just decided to allocate the extra money to a 457b. Time, low fixed interest rate and inflation, do your thing!

Wishing you all well on the paydowns.

channtheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1406 on: November 30, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
A little update since my first post detailing my situation.

My wife and I are in the process of refinancing right now (30 yr fixed, 3.875% with essentially $205 in closing costs through Consumer Direct Mortgage).  We had planned to refi $200,000, but are ahead of schedule and will ref $195,000!

I have run the numbers and if it was completely up to me, after the refi would most likely dedicate my extra dollars towards investments.  However, I've brought this up to my wife on at least 2 different occasions and she is not in favor of it at all.  She does not want to be in debt and is very conservative with investments.  I have finally got her on board with maxing retirement accounts after the mortgage is gone, so we've made some progress.  I don't fault her for wanting to be debt free and paying down the mortgage is definitely better than just blowing our money. 

So, for now the plan is to eliminate the mortgage in about 9.5 years when I am 36 and she is 34.  We'll get where we need to be, albeit a little slower.  I've got a plan to go part time when I'm around 46 that we will probably still be on track for.  Of course, life happens and you can only plan so many details for 20 years ahead.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: November 30, 2017, 05:26:28 AM »

My wife and I are in the process of refinancing right now (30 yr fixed, 3.875% with essentially $205 in closing costs through Consumer Direct Mortgage).  We had planned to refi $200,000, but are ahead of schedule and will ref $195,000!

I have run the numbers and if it was completely up to me, after the refi would most likely dedicate my extra dollars towards investments.  However, I've brought this up to my wife on at least 2 different occasions and she is not in favor of it at all.  She does not want to be in debt and is very conservative with investments.  I have finally got her on board with maxing retirement accounts after the mortgage is gone, so we've made some progress.  I don't fault her for wanting to be debt free and paying down the mortgage is definitely better than just blowing our money. 

So, for now the plan is to eliminate the mortgage in about 9.5 years when I am 36 and she is 34.  We'll get where we need to be, albeit a little slower.  I've got a plan to go part time when I'm around 46 that we will probably still be on track for.  Of course, life happens and you can only plan so many details for 20 years ahead.

You sound like us but 9 years ago and the husband was the one who wanted to pay off the mortgage (and he makes the bulk of our money, if that's how he wants to spend it, I'm fine with it!). 

Good luck!

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1408 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Mortgage Payment 1 tomorrow, planning on paying extra.

$387k mortgage
3.875% interest
Paying $845 extra/mo for this next year as of right now

We can still...

- Max out 401(k), about $8-9k in another 401(k)
- Max out IRA's
- Max out HSA
- Save for other goals

Our main thing right now is wanting to get rid of PMI.

I'm always torn. My wife HATES debt which is why we're paying extra. It keeps her up at night. The thought of paying off a house for 30 years is terrifying to be honest so I'm cool with it too.

I think that we can still save sufficiently to meet our main goals but I also know that $800/mo is nothing to shake a stick at, and we could be maxing both 401(k)'s if we didn't pay extra toward the mortgage.

Realistically I don't think there's a way I could convince my wife that not paying the mortgage quicker is a good way to go. She is too emotional about the debt and even though she understands the math she also values a sure thing and getting rid of this mortgage sooner rather than later. I think our compromise here isn't too bad...

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1409 on: November 30, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
Canadian Mortgage, interest rates are rising!

Starting mortgage = $435,000, 5 year term @ 3.26% (starting Sept. 30, 2013)
Goal = Full Mortgage Payoff by end of 5 year term (Sept. 30, 2018)

Progress:
- Mortgage amount as of December 25, 2014:  $380,819
- Mortgage amount as of April 2, 2015: $359,144
- Mortgage amount as of July 9, 2015: $324,055
- Mortgage amount as of December 31, 2015:  $285,708
- Mortgage amount - June 2, 2016 - $253,560
- Mortgage amount - September 8, 2016 - $232,502
- Mortgage amount - December 30, 2016 - $194,252
- Mortgage amount - March 30, 2017 - $161,932
- Mortgage amount - July 16, 2017 - $137,809
- Mortgage amount - November 30, 2017 - $107,678

We are on track to be in the 5 digit club by the end of the year with full payoff September 2018. As well, my husband has been laid off with severance that will end February 2019.  This is the reason why we are paying off the mortgage, to have the freedom to live on one salary if we choose.  Our RRSPs are maxed, the timing is perfect, we are blessed!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1410 on: December 01, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
Congrats, frizzy!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1411 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
Congrats, frizzy!
Ditto! If I lived in a land of non-fixed rate mortgages, the uncertainly would get to me, too. If I lived in the land Down Under, where I understand that you can prepay and then withdraw without penalty as needed, I'd dump every extra dime in it, including most of the EF.

Well done!

Edited for wonky spacing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:16:22 PM by Dicey »

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1412 on: December 02, 2017, 03:15:47 PM »
Congrats, frizzy!
Ditto! If I lived in a land of non-fixed rate mortgages, the uncertainly would get to me, too. If I lived in the land Down Under, where I understand that you can prepay and then withdraw without penalty as needed, I'd dump every extra
dime in it, including most of the EF.
Well done!

I am following the thread with some envy. I live in the land of non fixed rate mortages.. The longest period you can fix it is 10 years for 3,29 %, 5 year for 2,36 and 3 months for 1,59 %. You can fix it anytime but if you want to sell and move with a fixed rate you have to pay the difference in interest for the rest of the period. My is fixed for 3 months. You can also make tax deductions with 30 percent so it not uncommon to have and actual rate under 1 %. So I can’t justify it to myself to pay it off faster at the current rates or to fixe it for several years.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: December 03, 2017, 02:17:41 AM »
MOD NOTE:

This thread is for celebrating mortgage payoffs.

Not for debating if one should pay off a mortgage, or not.

All posts regarding the merits of paying off a mortgage are off topic. Please find another, more appropriate thread to post these arguments in.

Cheers!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

channtheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1414 on: December 03, 2017, 03:42:19 AM »

You sound like us but 9 years ago and the husband was the one who wanted to pay off the mortgage (and he makes the bulk of our money, if that's how he wants to spend it, I'm fine with it!). 

Good luck!

Thanks!   The cool thing about our expected payoff date is that it is basically a "worst case" scenario.  If I get raises or work OT or my wife works more than we think it should all happen sooner and than we can decide where to put the bulk of our savings - either index funds or real estate at this point. 

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1415 on: December 03, 2017, 03:53:34 AM »
Thanks ARS. i keep away from these arguments because there are some forum members always on the warpath to educate the masses, and their style is always khm, abrasive to put it mildly. I was given double facepunches for paying off my mortgage, and I find the attitude of the mathletes despicable.  If I spent my money on luxury goods and boob jobs I would have been treated better 😁.  But paying off the mortgage is worse than going wild at Prada. Meh.

Carry on people. Having a paid off house is awsome. We have no regrets.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1416 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
MOD NOTE:

This thread is for celebrating mortgage payoffs.

Not for debating if one should pay off a mortgage, or not.

All posts regarding the merits of paying off a mortgage are off topic. Please find another, more appropriate thread to post these arguments in.

Cheers!

Glad to see you guys listened to our plea to leave the debating out of this thread!  Thanks! 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:13:02 AM by farmecologist »

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: December 03, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
As of today, I'm down to $60k left. I could pay it off this year if I got really aggressive, but I'm trying to divide my paychecks between that and putting money into Vanguard. Aiming to be mortgage-free by 2018!

Progress update: My September payment has cleared and I'm down to $51K. The end is in sight!

Down to $38K as of February. I'm getting impatient to be done with this now that the amount left is so small. :)

$28K remaining. At the rate I'm paying it down, I have less than a year left. The light at the end of the tunnel!

$13K left, now that my last payment of 2017 has gone through. I'll be mortgage-free by spring 2018!

My original plan was to make the final payment in May, but I'm impatient with the finish line so close. I'm thinking of withdrawing a few thousand from my emergency fund to expedite the end. It's earning less in interest than my mortgage rate anyway.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1418 on: December 03, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
@FireLane - Awesome job knocking two thirds or more this year alone all the way down to @ $13K.   At this stage, it's like dieting and all the easy pounds are already gone (ie, using spare cashflow, selling stuff, adding quick income).    Stay with it!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1419 on: December 06, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
Spouse and I paid off our mortgage today. $160,000 purchase price in August 2012. Paid in full December 6, 2017. 20% down payment, standard 30 year mortgage at 3.625%.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1420 on: December 06, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
Spouse and I paid off our mortgage today. $160,000 purchase price in August 2012. Paid in full December 6, 2017. 20% down payment, standard 30 year mortgage at 3.625%.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

palerider1858

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1421 on: December 06, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
Awesome! Great work!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: December 06, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

Congrats!!!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: December 06, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
That is awesome! Congratulations.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1424 on: December 06, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
@Teachstache,   Congratulations!   You're now paid in full and officially weird (and will love it ;-)

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1425 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »

Congrats! Wow I wish it were possible to find a house that cheap in Australia.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1426 on: December 07, 2017, 02:41:18 AM »
Thanks, all. At 35 & 36 with $0 debt (except a credit card which we pay in full each month), it feels good.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1427 on: December 07, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
Thanks, all. At 35 & 36 with $0 debt (except a credit card which we pay in full each month), it feels good.

Congrats!  Our situation was similar.   Just remember to invest all of the cash you were putting towards the mortgage!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1428 on: December 08, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »

Congrats!  Our situation was similar.   Just remember to invest all of the cash you were putting towards the mortgage!

Yep. We are maxing out 2 403bs & 1 457 (while we're able to). Plus my 10% that goes toward my pension. That's 50% of our pre-tax income. Spouse and I also receive 18.5% matching on our retirement contributions.

Should we count retirement matching as part of our savings rate?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: December 09, 2017, 05:47:57 AM »
Yep. We are maxing out 2 403bs & 1 457 (while we're able to). Plus my 10% that goes toward my pension. That's 50% of our pre-tax income. Spouse and I also receive 18.5% matching on our retirement contributions.

Should we count retirement matching as part of our savings rate?

Congratulations! Yes, you should count the matching in both the numerator and the denominator for your savings rate calculation.

ScottsdaleSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1430 on: December 11, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Jumping over here from a different mortgage payoff thread that never took off. We started the path to early payoff in earnest this June with a (free) refinance. We're on a 15-year mortgage at 3.25%, but I want to knock this thing out in 5.

Big picture - I want to time the mortgage payoff with my escape from corporate life. Our investments are where I'd like it to be at this point. We'll continue to max out our tax advantaged accounts, but everything after that is going towards this.

June 2017 - $254K
July 2017 - $251K
August 2017 - $248K
Sept 2017 - $245K
Oct 2017 - $244K
Nov 2017 - $241K
Dec - 2017 - $237K

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1431 on: December 11, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
Jumping over here from a different mortgage payoff thread that never took off. We started the path to early payoff in earnest this June with a (free) refinance. We're on a 15-year mortgage at 3.25%, but I want to knock this thing out in 5.

Big picture - I want to time the mortgage payoff with my escape from corporate life. Our investments are where I'd like it to be at this point. We'll continue to max out our tax advantaged accounts, but everything after that is going towards this.

June 2017 - $254K
July 2017 - $251K
August 2017 - $248K
Sept 2017 - $245K
Oct 2017 - $244K
Nov 2017 - $241K
Dec - 2017 - $237K
Love ^this^. Congratulations, SS!

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1432 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »

June 2017 - $254K
July 2017 - $251K
August 2017 - $248K
Sept 2017 - $245K
Oct 2017 - $244K
Nov 2017 - $241K
Dec - 2017 - $237K

Nice work!  We are on similar paths!

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #1433 on: December 15, 2017, 01:41:52 AM »
64k left but the MATH. You can not escape the MAAAAATH.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1434 on: December 23, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
Just did an extra payment. We paid off almost 15k in 19 months! That's our regular payments included.
Not as impressive as some here, but for us quite an accomplishment. I'm really proud of us ^^

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1435 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:27 AM »
I started a quest to pay off my mortgage! I even created a blog to document my journey.

http://mortgage-payoff-club.com/

Who's with me?

Paying off our mortgages would certainly be badass. (I hope you enjoy the blog too)

I am always against these banking system they pay interest to us for one month and they  bang  interest for every month on mortgage,  Home loans etc.
There is no strict plan in their system that is questioning them.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1436 on: December 23, 2017, 04:44:29 AM »
Great job, Teachstache! Happy for you!

Thanks for the positive wishes, everyone! We only shared the news with spouse's dad and stepmom. Felt that it wouldn't be appropriate news to share with any other family members.

We made the last extra payment of $500 as our Christmas present to each other. When people ask what we bought each other for Christmas, we can honestly say "we made a big purchase for our family."

Thanks again for the positive wishes and congrats. Much appreciated & best wishes for those in the mortgage payoff club!

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #1437 on: December 23, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
What a great way to finish it off. It’s such a joyful thread this one. Keep going everyone!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1438 on: December 28, 2017, 04:27:13 AM »
Checking in -- mortgage balance is at $38k.  Goal is to have it paid off by September, stretch goal would be July.  Very excited!  Paying off the mortgage is a key gatekeeper for our FIRE plans for 2019.  Will feel gooood to check that box.  Great job everyone!  Happy New Year. 

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1439 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
I paid off the mortgage a couple of days ago. It is now starting to feel real and I am calmer and more at peace.

Long-term FI saving and investing is going well. Assuming all continues to go well, I will "retire" in 2018. My spouse has no desire to RE.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1440 on: December 28, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
64k left but the MATH. You can not escape the MAAAAATH.
Comar, are you whining?

It can be just fine to pay off a mortgage, as long as one understands the math. One does not necessarily preclude the other.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1441 on: December 30, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
End of August...  5 digit club at last!   $99.9K.   
$48K left to remove debt from our life is the goal!   Till then, keepin' on, keepin' on!

OK all, trying to emulate TeachStache and other recent debt-killers.   End of 2017 year result is $47K.    Respectable since we started 2017 at roughly $110K.    And paid off a car loan and put first kid through year 2 of college.   Goal is to kill this thing in 2018 before kid 2 starts college in the fall.   Stay tuned for further news, weather and sports updates until victory!

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1442 on: December 30, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
End of the year update!

Starting mortgage = $435,000, 5 year term @ 3.26% (starting Sept. 30, 2013)
Goal = Full Mortgage Payoff by end of 5 year term (Sept. 30, 2018)

Progress:
- Mortgage amount as of December 25, 2014:  $380,819
- Mortgage amount as of April 2, 2015: $359,144
- Mortgage amount as of July 9, 2015: $324,055
- Mortgage amount as of December 31, 2015:  $285,708
- Mortgage amount - June 2, 2016 - $253,560
- Mortgage amount - September 8, 2016 - $232,502
- Mortgage amount - December 30, 2016 - $194,252
- Mortgage amount - March 30, 2017 - $161,932
- Mortgage amount - July 16, 2017 - $137,809
- Mortgage amount - November 30, 2017 - $107,678
- Mortgage amount - December 30, 2017 - $99,838

Hello 5 digit club :-)

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1443 on: December 31, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »
End of August...  5 digit club at last!   $99.9K.   
$48K left to remove debt from our life is the goal!   Till then, keepin' on, keepin' on!

OK all, trying to emulate TeachStache and other recent debt-killers.   End of 2017 year result is $47K.    Respectable since we started 2017 at roughly $110K.    And paid off a car loan and put first kid through year 2 of college.   Goal is to kill this thing in 2018 before kid 2 starts college in the fall.   Stay tuned for further news, weather and sports updates until victory!

Nice work on debt pay down in 2017! I predict that you'll eliminate your remaining debt by June 2018 at that rate!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #1444 on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:21 AM »
Another £1100 overpaid this morning.

Balance down to £119,300.

I have only managed two overpayments in recent times since getting married. But I have already saved 7 months of future payments. :)

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1445 on: January 02, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
Stopping in to say hello--paid off my mortgage in 2016 and still don't regret it.  Looking at some of the recent posts, I see there was a bit of the perennial debate over the intent of this thread and the merits of this choice.

While mathematically a face-punch, the psychological benefits of paying off the mortgage in 2016 turned out to be priceless for me. FI is/would still have been 7-10 years on the horizon if I'd not done the pay-off. But, paying it off put me into FU money territory, so after a really rough 2017 I decided to say FU to my job.  I 100% meant it and planned to take some time off to figure out the next act (which would certainly have been at a lower salary).

My employer was so eager to retain me, that they offered me a completely different job with better hours, more flexibility, better benefits and summers off.  In sum, it's the good parts of my prior job without the misery. With that housing albatross around my neck, I wouldn't have taken the leap that got me to a really happy place.

Wishing everyone who wants to payoff a dramatic principle decline 2018!

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #1446 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks tightwaddy!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1447 on: January 03, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
Stopping in to say hello--paid off my mortgage in 2016 and still don't regret it.  Looking at some of the recent posts, I see there was a bit of the perennial debate over the intent of this thread and the merits of this choice.

While mathematically a face-punch, the psychological benefits of paying off the mortgage in 2016 turned out to be priceless for me. FI is/would still have been 7-10 years on the horizon if I'd not done the pay-off. But, paying it off put me into FU money territory, so after a really rough 2017 I decided to say FU to my job.  I 100% meant it and planned to take some time off to figure out the next act (which would certainly have been at a lower salary).

My employer was so eager to retain me, that they offered me a completely different job with better hours, more flexibility, better benefits and summers off.  In sum, it's the good parts of my prior job without the misery. With that housing albatross around my neck, I wouldn't have taken the leap that got me to a really happy place.

Congratulations on the new job!

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1448 on: January 03, 2018, 12:06:01 PM »
Congratulations on the new job!

Thanks!  I'm sure the motto isn't just about being mortgage free, but being brave enough to say goodbye to something that's hurting you. However, I could afford to be brave without a $1700 mortgage on my back :)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #1449 on: January 04, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »

Lovely story and result!

I am a long way off this...