Author Topic: Mortgage Payoff Club!!  (Read 1076341 times)

Huskerfan

• Stubble
Re: Mortgage Payoff Club!!
« Reply #1900 on: October 02, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »
Threw off the chains on September 20th, mortgage is gone.  100% debt free, it's a sweet place.

Congrats!!!! Gotta be a great feeling

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #1901 on: October 02, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
As of Friday we are officially mortgage free!!!  My husband got his bonus and we realized it we put all of it towards the mortgage plus 8k from our savings we could pay it off completely. Our liquid saving account had been creeping up again anyway so we decided it was worth it. I don’t think it’s really hit us yet. I think on October 1st when the mortgage payment doesn’t come out of the account it will feel real.

For those of you who have paid off your mortgage - did you do anything other than call your insurance company and tax office to have the bills come directly to you?  The bank told us we would get a letter of satisfaction and a check from our escrow balance within 10 days.

Congrats!!! Amazing achievement!

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #1902 on: October 03, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
Threw off the chains on September 20th, mortgage is gone.  100% debt free, it's a sweet place.

Amazing! Congrates!

TomSelleckJR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1903 on: October 11, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Can I just take a quick survey among you people who are slaying the mortgage:

What kind of mortgage did you get? I'm trying to decide between a 30-year fixed and a 15-year fixed right now.

We had a 30 year fixed, but paid it off in 11 years.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1904 on: October 18, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »
Can I just take a quick survey among you people who are slaying the mortgage:

What kind of mortgage did you get? I'm trying to decide between a 30-year fixed and a 15-year fixed right now.

We had a 30 year fixed, but paid it off in 11 years.
I have a 30 year fixed.  I'm aiming to get the principal down below $100K and then pay just what I owe.  Either that or pay it off in under 15 years.  I am an independent consultant and cash flow is never guaranteed and that makes me nervous

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1905 on: October 19, 2019, 01:58:04 AM »
We just re-mortgaged from a lifetime tracker at 2.49% to a fixed tracker at 1.34% - our LTV is just below 20% now, but similar deals became available at LTVs of 60% and less. The rate, BTW, gives me extreme pleasure - inflation stands at 1.7%, and I think the rate could arguably go down - in the case of a hard Brexit (and the one we're seeing is not soft) or no deal, the Bank of England will start the money printing press and keep rates low, ie likely higher inflation and lower rates, both of which are fine for me.

We had £91,300 outstanding on a £200k loan, so going from LTV 50% to <20% is all due to the house doubling in value over the past 8.5 years since we bought it.

The 1.34% rate breaks down into 0.75% Band of England rate and the rest is HSBC's take. HSBC charged £999 and added that money onto the mortgage. After two years, that rate increases to 4.3% unless we remortgage again. Our monthly payments dropped from circa £550 to circa £426, and we plan to pay £1,800 a month, which should about halve the mortgage in those two years. That's about 50% of our disposable income after food and commute. We could probably kill it completely, but we need to build up some accessible savings to get us to the point when we can access our private pensions.

I'm just astonished at how we started paying off the same house for £1,200/month at a 90% mortgage 8.5 years ago, and since then, the low bank rates, house appreciation, and vigilance and smart decisions about the mortgage products have shaved off 70% from our payments. In our area, we'd pay £1,600 to rent the same type of property, so buying was the right choice. Plus, it's an attractive commuter town, very green and wealthy outside London, so I'm not even worried about a crash or not finding a buyer for it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:01:34 AM by Vashy »

Bigjones

• Stubble
« Reply #1906 on: October 21, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
What would you do

I owe roughly $67k on my HELOC (no first mortgage). The heloc used to be about 3% but is now pushing 6.5%.   Combined salary is about $155k and i really would love to be debt free, this HELOC is all we have left.

It would take a huge sacrifice to pay it off in 14-16months but im interested and serious about paying this off.   

Im 49yrs old and have roughly 165k in 401k and IRAS (i know i have a ways to go) but mortgage free would be a huge burden off my shoulders in a job market thats not in a great place where i live.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1907 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
What would you do

I owe roughly $67k on my HELOC (no first mortgage). The heloc used to be about 3% but is now pushing 6.5%.   Combined salary is about $155k and i really would love to be debt free, this HELOC is all we have left.

It would take a huge sacrifice to pay it off in 14-16months but im interested and serious about paying this off.   

Im 49yrs old and have roughly 165k in 401k and IRAS (i know i have a ways to go) but mortgage free would be a huge burden off my shoulders in a job market thats not in a great place where i live.

I think I'm just confirming what you're thinking, but pay that sucker off as fast as you can manage.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1908 on: October 21, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
Focus on that debt, and you could be completely debt-free at age 50. See that in your mind.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1909 on: October 21, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
What would you do

I'd kill it.  Variable interest rate loans are kind of like walking through a mine field.  You might be okay, but you might blow a leg off, too. 

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1910 on: October 26, 2019, 07:21:10 PM »
@Bigjones,   You'll get lots of sympathy to pay off the HELOC on this thread...   If you're going to commit to it in 14 or so months, then what is the monthly budgeting discipline to pay it down from operating income?   What after tax investments can you draw down in part to cover the rest?    The combination of these 2 things give you the realistic timeline to freedom (plus maybe a windfall or bonus along the way... or a setback due to life event or other unexpected expense).   We certainly had our share of success and issues along the way as do most.   C'est la vie!

FinanceFreaky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Time in the market beats timing the market 🚀
« Reply #1911 on: October 27, 2019, 08:19:02 AM »
What an amazing topic with dito achievements!! :) Would like to join the club.

Initial mortgage 2015: 150k
Mortgage today: 108k

In January we can pay off another 10% (15k), penalty free. Then we will go below the 100k. Really can't wait!

If we continue like this, we can be rid of the mortgage in 2025.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1912 on: October 28, 2019, 06:22:32 AM »
What an amazing topic with dito achievements!! :) Would like to join the club.

Initial mortgage 2015: 150k
Mortgage today: 108k

In January we can pay off another 10% (15k), penalty free. Then we will go below the 100k. Really can't wait!

If we continue like this, we can be rid of the mortgage in 2025.

Welcome @Tdem!  Sounds like a solid plan.   

FinanceFreaky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Time in the market beats timing the market 🚀
« Reply #1913 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! 😍

Steveray7071

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1914 on: October 28, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
I've had my current mortgage since 6/1/2013 - $235K

1/1/2019 - 191K
4/1/2019 - 178K

Goal is to pay off by 8/1/2020.

Currently at $168K

Putting $30K on this week (sale of a property).

EOW: $138K

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1915 on: October 28, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »

1/1/2019 - 191K
4/1/2019 - 178K

Currently at $168K

In 10 months?  That's about $15K per month?   That's a mighty good clip!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1916 on: November 08, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
We're killing the mortgage soon... sent a $28K payment and have about $985.00 left, I've requested the final payoff paperwork and we'll need to get everything settled and final in the next week or two.  It's been 20 years in our house, so 20 instead of 30, not amazingly fast but we've made it.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1917 on: November 08, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
We're killing the mortgage soon... sent a $28K payment and have about $985.00 left, I've requested the final payoff paperwork and we'll need to get everything settled and final in the next week or two.  It's been 20 years in our house, so 20 instead of 30, not amazingly fast but we've made it.

Congrats!  Very exciting news!

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1918 on: November 08, 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
@KBecks,  The point is making it so congrats on freedom!   Put that free cash flow to great use!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1919 on: November 08, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »

Congrats!

I suspect that moved the needle a bit closer to FIRE!

Let us know how far along you are at https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-to-100-fi!/

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1920 on: November 09, 2019, 02:29:27 PM »
Thank you, everybody!  We have three kiddos and the oldest will be college-bound and hopefully college-ready in about 3.5 years.  I think the plan is to go into savings beast-mode (again) to ramp up for education and/or early retirement.  The education thing is freaking me out because I still like the idea of a private college for my oldest (a small pond with small class sizes), but our kids' paths might be something like commuting to community college for 2 years and then transferring to a bigger or more personalized school.  We have some money saved for them, but the task seems large and scary.  We will get there one step at a time.

I'll let everyone know when our papers are settled and the house is all ours!

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1921 on: November 19, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
If everything goes well, I should be making my final house payment in middle of December. Yes, I will dip into savings a bit(month worth of income) but I just want the house paid off by 2020. Goal was to have house paid off by 35, I am a year ahead of schedule. To celebrate, I am already planning a 2 month roadtrip to Alaska, part of which I want to drive my personal car to Arctic Ocean(Tuktoyaktuk).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1922 on: November 20, 2019, 06:09:15 AM »
It is finished!  Bank wire arrived on Monday and we are mortgage-free!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1923 on: November 20, 2019, 06:19:56 AM »
It is finished!  Bank wire arrived on Monday and we are mortgage-free!

Great news!

PS - Wait about 2 months and then check with your county registrar of deeds.   Verify that the lien on your house from the mortgage has been removed.   That way, if you ever sell, you don't a last-minute delay while they deal with the surprise lien.

TomSelleckJR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1924 on: November 21, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
Congrats @KBecks  and @paulkots !!!

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1925 on: December 07, 2019, 07:46:47 AM »
Made my last online payment today, will be heading into the local bank branch on Friday to finish off paying the house. Last online payment paid the house down to $7.38! Will be calling the bank Monday to see what I need to bring in and the total needed for me to do the final payment.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1926 on: December 08, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
Congratulations to everyone that has made a final payment recently.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1927 on: December 08, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1928 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
I am in the end game for FIRE, so am switching my focus from accumulation to paying down my mortgage.  In 2020, my goal is to double up my regular mortgage payments for the year, and also make the maximum annual lump sum.  This will see my amortization reduced from 12.5 years at the end of 2019 to a conservative 8.5 years at the end of 2020.

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1929 on: December 10, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Who thought that final payment is such a hassle. Went to the bank that holds my mortgage loan, asked for a final payoff letter, waited for 30 minutes, nothing. Came up again, teller called the mortgage department again only to figure out that she gave them the wrong fax number, papers came in. Took the papers and went to my bank(where checking account is) to get the wire transfer done, banker went through the paperwork and said it wasn't complete, the teller from mortgage bank only gave me 2 pages out of 6. Went back to mortgage bank, teller apologized and found the other 4 missing pages, went back to my bank, sat on the phone with mortgage bank while the wire transfer was being done since some instructions were not completely clear, finally sent the wire transfer.. House is now paid off but it took hours!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1930 on: December 15, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
I'm in! The last student loan died this week, and the mortgage is the only debt left. It is a type of HELOC, so there is no minimum or maximum payment. If we get an insurance payout in 2020, this could go fast. If not, the goal is 2025.

Starting: $165 000
December 2019: $158 000

Bigjones

• Stubble
« Reply #1931 on: December 16, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
@Bigjones,   You'll get lots of sympathy to pay off the HELOC on this thread...   If you're going to commit to it in 14 or so months, then what is the monthly budgeting discipline to pay it down from operating income?   What after tax investments can you draw down in part to cover the rest?    The combination of these 2 things give you the realistic timeline to freedom (plus maybe a windfall or bonus along the way... or a setback due to life event or other unexpected expense).   We certainly had our share of success and issues along the way as do most.   C'est la vie!

We both got Xmas bonus of 1k and we threw that at it.  So far are living off one salary and throwing roughly $2200 biweekly at the mortgage.  We are also in line for a one time company bonus of $11k this coming July that i want to throw at it as well.

So far we have been able to do this for 3 bi weekly pay periods so far.  All is well.  I believe we have it down to roughly $61k right now. 

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #1932 on: January 09, 2020, 02:11:10 AM »
And done. In my country I'm basically too big to fail now, thanks to the welfare state. Feels good.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1933 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:07 AM »
And done. In my country I'm basically too big to fail now, thanks to the welfare state. Feels good.

Haha!  Congratulations!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1934 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:35 AM »

We both got Xmas bonus of 1k and we threw that at it.  So far are living off one salary and throwing roughly $2200 biweekly at the mortgage.  We are also in line for a one time company bonus of $11k this coming July that i want to throw at it as well.

So far we have been able to do this for 3 bi weekly pay periods so far.  All is well.  I believe we have it down to roughly $61k right now.

$2200 every two weeks will melt that balance down pronto!   Keep it up!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #1935 on: January 12, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »
I'm in, we refi'd our remaining $243104.00 30 yr mort to a 15 yr @ 2.875 in 2013 and have been paying almost double every month, with a few extra lump payments. We're down to what I think will be 7 more payments. We originally bought in 2009, wish we had been aggressive with the payments for the first couple of years with the 30yr, but just over 11 years from the first loan is still a great feeling. Got a little over $22k left to go. As my name suggests, she still needs some work, but the location is great!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1936 on: January 12, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
I'm in, we refi'd our remaining $243104.00 30 yr mort to a 15 yr @ 2.875 in 2013 and have been paying almost double every month, with a few extra lump payments. We're down to what I think will be 7 more payments. We originally bought in 2009, wish we had been aggressive with the payments for the first couple of years with the 30yr, but just over 11 years from the first loan is still a great feeling. Got a little over $22k left to go. As my name suggests, she still needs some work, but the location is great!

Only 7 more payments!   That's awesome!

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1937 on: January 12, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
Great discipline = Total FI Awesomeness!   

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #1938 on: January 12, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »
Thanks @Money Badger & @SwordGuy! We'll have it paid off 1 month before my 43rd b-day. Best present ever!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1939 on: January 12, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
We're buying a new house in a few days to a couple of weeks.  We'll be selling three houses (our current one and two others for cost to friends) sometime this year.

Our intent is to be mortgage free (and debt free) in 25 payments or less.

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1940 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
How life can change. Went online to check that lien was released from the house. In 08/03/2009 I was foreclosed on, on 01/06/2020 Deed of Trust Satisfaction came through for my paid off house. One of the biggest lessons I learned is not to stick your head in the sand when times get hard, by sticking your head in the sand, you are only going to get the worst outcome.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1941 on: January 13, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
How life can change. Went online to check that lien was released from the house. In 08/03/2009 I was foreclosed on, on 01/06/2020 Deed of Trust Satisfaction came through for my paid off house. One of the biggest lessons I learned is not to stick your head in the sand when times get hard, by sticking your head in the sand, you are only going to get the worst outcome.
That little paragraph is the most compact, awe inspiring thing I've read in years. 
A "WOOHOOO!" seems like inadequate praise, but it is what I've got on hand. WOOHOOO!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1942 on: January 13, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »
Congrats @paulkots !!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1943 on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
@paulkots that is truly amazing.  You learned the tough real estate lesson, and never ever wanted a repeat of it. Bravo!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #1944 on: January 13, 2020, 03:03:47 PM »
That's great @paulkots !!!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1945 on: February 01, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
Starting: $165 000
1/12/2019: $158 000
1/01/2020: $157 000
1/02/2020: $155 000

Steveray7071

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1946 on: February 04, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »

1/1/2019 - 191K
4/1/2019 - 178K

Currently at $168K

Down to $75K!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #1947 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »

Down to $75K!

Awesome job! Crossing under the 6-digit threshold feels great!

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1948 on: February 05, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »
And done (I think), although not really feeling the high. My mortgage was pretty small, so it was more an annoyance just having that around every month more than a significant impact on the finances. 

Anyway, mortgage payoff scenarios are clearly not test cases for my mortgage company's web developers.  I was in no rush to get this done, so rather than incur any fees in getting a payoff quote, I just went to pay whatever was left on the principal and let everything sort itself out in the next billing cycle. 

Except apparently you can't pay more than 95% of your remaining principal through the web.  OK, I'll just do that. I'll owe them $40 instead of $4 next month.   (I did consider being a jerk and paying 95% over and over until I got it down to 1 cent though.)

Log in later that afternoon to see it applied as a "partial payment" and a balance due next month of -$510. Uh... OK. Call customer service, they say they'll re-apply as a principal payment and it'll need supervisor approval which takes 24-48 hours. 

Supervisor must've figured it out. Logged in this morning to a "Congratulations, your loan is fully paid off." So I guess I'm done, although my payment history is now a warzone of small, inexplicable "partial payments" and "escrow payments".  Somebody probably gets to sort that mess out on Monday. 

Happy birthday to me.

Well that didn't take long. I'm back in the club. :D 

It was a nice year mortgage free, but I had to do what any good American does when they pay off a loan- go get another one. And bigger!

But hopefully 2/3 will be wiped out when the old house is sold.

Even though my net worth is still very much in the black, having that big negative number on my balance sheet brought back all kinds of debt related anxiety. 

Got a good rate, so there's no mathematical reason to pay it off right away, but I'll probably do so anyway. 

Keep plugging away everybody. Having no mortgage gave us the freedom to buy a really weird house in a great location. No way I would have done this and tried to balance two mortgages. 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:16:52 PM by Askel »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1949 on: February 05, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
Made the first of what I hope will be no more than 25 payments to pay off our new mortgage.

Depends on what we sell our old home for and how quickly.    Might take 36 payments, might take 18.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!