Author Topic: Monthly Goals - July 2022  (Read 1569 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Monthly Goals - July 2022
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:22:09 AM »
The year is half over!  Let's keep chugging along.

End of month round up!

1. Read 8 books
  a. 1 Philosophy
  b. 1 History/Natural History
  c. 4 from TBR
2. Do at least 28 sit-ups per day (average)
3. Spend time outside 23/30 days

Creativity:
4. Sewing Projects
  4a. Repair DH pants
  4b. Blouse Muslin
  4c. Blouse
  4d. Repair Reusable Bag
5. Bake something each week
6. Try a new food/recipe

Gardening:
7. Keep Garden Alive
  7a. Stake Beans
  7b. Harvest Beans

Social:
10. See family
11. Plan to see friends
13. Plan to celebrate Lughnasadh (Aug 1)

LinneaH

• Bristles
Re: Monthly Goals - July 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:31:13 AM »
I haven't been around in a long time but I really want to join now.
Life has been a bit to busy and I have been tired. Feeling better now and working on how to decrease stress - I have taken some concrete steps and will do some more in the next few weeks.

July is split in two very different periods for me.
1st half working, pretty busy w/quartly close but should be ok as so many are on holiday already, so hope to get some peace and quiet. Will work from home about half of the days.
Goals: (I will elaborate on them when I have more time tomorrow, and also make a neater list)

Student loan – make a plan
Food cost
One off cost items
Paper clutter
Trip w/kids - plan
Connect
Yoga
Run
Gym
Walk

2nd half is travel w/my kids.

Goals:
Have fun
Not to much screen time
Relax

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
Glad to see you back Linnea!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 11:56:33 AM »
New month - new opportunities!:)

GARDEN
The main goal is to keep everything alive:)! - Water daily and pray for rain.
The weather gods have been kind and watered my plants while I wasn't feeling up to it.
1. Plant the remaining plantlings - in pots or in the garden.
I got carried away and ordered some live starter plants on Etsy - what can I say ...
2. Still hoping to get the odd project accomplished but it will be primarily paid help - we'll see how I feel. I'd like to get several privacy trellis up and planted with blooming and scented evergreen climbers.

CREATIVE
1. Working on a shell and sparkly glass mosaic - on the old garden fountain. It is a fun and colorful project - using my entire collection of purple/lilac shells.
It has been too rainy and humid to make any progress, but prep work is complete and I have all materials.
2. Working on a gemstone and sparkly glass rainbow bead curtain for the kitchen - found the perfect carved wood 'curtain rod'. The plan is to hang what I've created so far and then add more or not, as the mood strikes me.

HEALTHY EATING
1. Two meatless dishes a week - expanding to three meatless dinners at least every other week.
2. Looking for more Chaya recipes and learning how to use and integrate Jiaogolun.
3. Eat more salad and eat nothing past six o'clock.

DE-CLUTTER and Home Maintenance
1. De-clutter study - one mess at a time:). To be continued in August...
DESK
TABLE
Under the table
CREDENZA - TOP
2. Replace Ceiling Light in the kitchen - dining room - study and living room. Having trouble getting this accomplished, but this month I want to at a minimum replace the ceiling light in the study and perhaps get a new wall light.

FINANCES
1. File Taxes - may need professional help but for now I'm just getting papers together - made good progress yesterday
2. Save $1907 monthly - now thru Dec 2022 - Done for this month. The goal is to have 2yrs worth of expenses in cash. I'm already halfway there.
3. Reviewing finances and making new plans for the rest of the year.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »
I have a couple that normally would be easy, but it has been a struggle recently.

1. Read five books. I read a ton of technical articles and datasheets (ok ok, I skim a lot of those) but would like read more “actual” books.

2. Run 60 miles. We are going to be traveling for about 13 days of the month and will be a bit challenged to run during one larger trip. Will take consistency when home to get this done.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 09:57:42 AM »
Monthly Goals:

1. Exercise 15 / 31 days
2. Sell 5 things on Ebay
3. No garden purchases
4. Lose 5 lbs. Starting weight 142.6

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »
Week 1 update:

1. Read 8 books - 3/8
  a. 1 Philosophy - In progress
  b. 1 History/Natural History - 1/1 Done
  c. 4 from TBR - 2/4, one in progress and another requested
2. Do at least 28 sit-ups per day (average) - 40 average
3. Spend time outside 23/30 days - 7/7 so far, excellent start

Creativity:
4. Sewing Projects
  4a. Repair DH pants
  4b. Blouse Muslin
  4c. Blouse
  4d. Repair Reusable Bag
  4e. Repair Towel Hem
5. Bake something each week - Granola, Cherry Pie
6. Try a new food/recipe - None yet

Gardening:
7. Keep Garden Alive
  7a. Stake Beans
  7b. Harvest Beans - First harvest done!

Social:
10. See family - Sis 1
11. Plan to see friends - Tentative plans to have dinner with DH's good friend
13. Plan to celebrate Lughnasadh (Aug 1) - None yet

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 06:04:39 PM »

GARDEN
The weather gods have been kind and watered my plants while I wasn't feeling up to it.
1. Plant the remaining plantlings - in pots or in the garden. Week one planted two of about 8-10 total.
I got carried away and ordered some live starter plants on Etsy - what can I say ...

2. Still hoping to get the odd project accomplished but it will be primarily paid help - we'll see how I feel. I'd like to get several privacy trellis up and planted with blooming and scented evergreen climbers.

CREATIVE
1. Working on a shell and sparkly glass mosaic - on the old garden fountain. It is a fun and colorful project - using my entire collection of purple/lilac shells.
It has been too rainy and humid to make any progress, but prep work is complete and I have all materials.
2. Working on a gemstone and sparkly glass rainbow bead curtain for the kitchen - found the perfect carved wood 'curtain rod'. The plan is to hang what I've created so far and then add more or not, as the mood strikes me.

HEALTHY EATING
1. Two meatless dishes a week - expanding to three meatless dinners at least every other week.
 Week One - 1. All Veggie dish from the garden over pasta and 2. Scallops with Spanish Rice and Cucumber Salad 3. TunaSalad

2. Looking for more Chaya recipes and learning how to use and integrate Jiaogolun. Week one - found Chaya recipes

3. Eat more salad and eat nothing past six o'clock. Week One - eating more salad but could do better
Eating nothing past six has been impossible because of unexpected service calls and other interruptions

DESK
TABLE
Under the table
CREDENZA - TOP
2. Replace Ceiling Light in the kitchen - dining room - study and living room. Having trouble getting this accomplished, but this month I want to at a minimum replace the ceiling light in the study and perhaps get a new wall light.

FINANCES
1. File Taxes - may need professional help but for now I'm just getting papers together - made good progress yesterday
2. Save $1907 monthly - now thru Dec 2022 - Done for this month. The goal is to have 2yrs worth of expenses in cash. I'm already halfway there.
3. Reviewing finances and making new plans for the rest of the year. - DONE!

We'll see how the rest of the month progresses. I will focus on the study and paperwork along with finding at least one light for the study.

freeree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »
Hmmm, let me think.

Spanish class has ended and I still can't speak the language. Start over, beginning with Chapter 1, Pasos 1, and complete the exercises.
Choir has disbanded for the summer. Keep listening/practicing the songs 'cause the concert's been rescheduled for Oct 2nd.
Resume walking again with the Stradbroke Strollers.
Start decluttering my dad's attic...? Maybe
Try to find a local in-person yoga class

Go to the beach - buy fish 'n chips (no sharing w/ gulls) and an ice cream. Enjoy the experience!

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 07:51:29 AM »
Monthly Goals Check in:

1. Exercise 15 / 31 days So far I've exercised 7 / 15
2. Sell 5 things on Ebay Sold 1/5
3. No garden purchases So far so good! I put a seed order in my online cart but did not check out lol. Decided I did not need them.
4. Lose 5 lbs. Starting weight 142.6 Lost 1.8 lbs. I am doing the keto diet, but realized I have been eating too many carbs still. Cleaning that up now!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 08:45:00 AM »
Week 2 update:

1. Read 8 books - 5/8
  a. 1 Philosophy - 1/1 Done
  b. 1 History/Natural History - 1/1 Done
  c. 4 from TBR - 3/4, two more requested
2. Do at least 28 sit-ups per day (average) - 38 average
3. Spend time outside 23/30 days - 12/14, a bit lower due to the crazy heat

Creativity:
4. Sewing Projects
  4a. Repair DH pants
  4b. Blouse Muslin
  4c. Blouse
  4d. Repair Reusable Bag
  4e. Repair Towel Hem
5. Bake something each week - Granola x2, Cherry Pie

Gardening:
7. Keep Garden Alive
  7a. Stake Beans
  7b. Harvest Beans - First harvest done!

Social:
10. See family - Sis 1
11. Plan to see friends - Tentative plans to have dinner with DH's good friend

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »

GARDEN
1. Plant the remaining plantlings - in pots or in the garden. Week one planted two of about 8-10 total.

CREATIVE

HEALTHY EATING
 Week One - 1. All Veggie dish from the garden over pasta and 2. Scallops with Spanish Rice and Cucumber Salad 3. TunaSalad

Week Two - 1. Two all veggie/herb/ dishes from the garden with pasta 2. Pancakes with homemade jam and (cough, cough) homemade whipping cream. 3. Veggie Quiche plus all my lunches at home were meatless - which they often are so I don't count that - Mr. R. still likes his meat. I'm good with two eggs and whatever. 

2. Looking for more Chaya recipes and learning how to use and integrate Jiaogolun. Week one - found Chaya recipes -
Week two - DONE

3. Eat more salad and eat nothing past six o'clock. Week One - eating more salad but could do better
Eating nothing past six has been impossible because of unexpected service calls and other interruptions
Week Two - Doing good!

DESK
TABLE
Under the table
CREDENZA - TOP

FINANCES
Week two - reviewed again and changed plans - now I'm happy with my plan and the proposed outcome. Amazing what a little brainstorming session can accomplish. 

3. Reviewing finances and making new plans for the rest of the year. - DONE!

We'll see how the rest of the month progresses. I will focus on the study and paperwork along with finding at least one light for the study.

So far so good. I did cave and order some plants online mainly because I've been unable to find them locally and I really want three African Blue Basil bushes. This time I'll be sure to take cuttings so I can start my own new plants. This plant is sterile so I can't just get seeds.

Of course, I couldn't resist adding a couple of extra plants - I mean they said "Did you know that you can order two more plants for the same shipping charge:?!" 

@Raenia - every time I see your goals of "try a new recipe" and "bake something" I end up doing just that, because well, I'm a foodie and I don't like getting into too much of a rut.
The only thing I'm struggling with is I really need an Avocado recipe that kinda hides some of the avocado taste. Our tree is bursting with fruit.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 01:53:54 PM »
Week 3 update:

1. Read 8 books - [color=green]8/8[/color]
  b. 1 History/Natural History - 2/1 Done
  c. 4 from TBR - 4/4, Done
2. Do at least 28 sit-ups per day (average) - 33.5 average
3. Spend time outside 23/30 days - 18/21, on track, though spending less time and shorter walks due to heat

Creativity:
4. Sewing Projects
  4a. Repair DH pants
  4b. Blouse Muslin
  4c. Blouse
  4d. Repair Reusable Bag
  4e. Repair Towel Hem
5. Bake something each week - Granola x3, Cherry Pie, whole wheat bread, pear muffins

Gardening:
7. Keep Garden Alive
  7a. Stake Beans
  7b. Harvest Beans - Looks like the plants are giving up, so I'm calling this done

Social:
10. See family - Sis 1, MIL 1
11. Plan to see friends - Done

@Rosy Glad to hear you're getting inspired!  I also tend to get in a rut with cooking the same familiar things, so I need to constantly remind myself to try new ones.  Summer is the hardest, because baking is less fun when it's so hot, and there's so much delicious produce to eat raw or minimally cooked that I have less incentive to try recipes.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 01:49:02 PM »
@Raenia - actually summer is my time to add to my raw repertoire. Who says you have to cook and incinerate the kitchen?:)

Back in the day - we would grill veggies and potatoes wrapped in foil so you aren't tied to the BBQ either and then just quickly grill up fish - seafood - and whatever cheap (often creatively marinated) meat we could afford.

For Aug the challenge will be all about cold suppers and tasty summer salads - we like pickled beet and coleslaw (not drowned in Mayo:), I love Bulgur as a salad with veggies, cold potato salad (oil and vinegar based with dill, onion, mint, lemony herbs, sliced boiled eggs on top with cucumbers or pickles), pasta marinated in an Italian pesto or dressing with pepperoni, olives, cheese balls and marinated mushrooms...basil from the garden.

I used to make some good salads but most of them require as much work as a full meal.
So now I just keep it simple with fresh fruit, fresh cheese and fresh bread - or toss watermelon, goat cheese and golden beets in with fresh greens and mint.
Even some of the smoothies sound like too much work - just let me eat a fresh banana or a big chunk of watermelon and I'm good:).

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 05:25:50 PM »
I haven't been around in a long time but I really want to join now.
Life has been a bit to busy and I have been tired. Feeling better now and working on how to decrease stress - I have taken some concrete steps and will do some more in the next few weeks.

July is split in two very different periods for me.
1st half working, pretty busy w/quartly close but should be ok as so many are on holiday already, so hope to get some peace and quiet. Will work from home about half of the days.

So I never got back to create a more elaborate list but will add some info below.

Green: completed
Blue: progress
Orange: at risk
Red: did not complete

Student loan – make a plan: I really want to get rid of the about $13k I still owe, however it is currently at 0% and will be for a couple of years more (Swedish governmental loans). Therefore, I will not use any "regular money" to pay extra. I currently pay the mandatory $2.5k per year. So I have to find additional money. Decided to get back at surveys and will also try to sell some things we don't need anymore. And I have been using the cashback credit card more. Not a lot of money, but this will be a game of snowflakes creating a snowball. I just want to write this down on paper and put it so it is a visible reminder.

Food cost: Food prices have been increasing steeply in line with the overall inflation. Not a lot will happen with this goal in July as it is a holiday/travel month. But I have been good. Working to improve my sourdough bread, picked berries at a friend to use for breakfast, and some other small wins.

One off cost items: I need to create a plan for this. Should write a list of one off/once yearly etc costs and see how much I need to put in sinking funds. Nothing done yet.

Paper clutter: Some but not much progress, will not be completed. Continue in August. This seems to be a never-ending goal for me.

Trip w/kids - plan: Yes, but could have been better.

Connect: Some but it is tough. I guess I want to have more friends, but I don't have the energy it is hard to find the energy for it. But I do want to continue working on this goal.

Yoga
Run: I have signed up for a short race end of August, and I really have to start running this weekend to be able to do a good enough race.
Gym
Walk

Goals:
Have fun Yes we had fun
Not too much screen time No not good enough, not for me, and not for the kids. I have to work on this.
Relax Yes, much easier now when they are older. Also I had decided not to cook a lot and the kids were great when eating in restaurants, and also were ok w/the low key meals we had.

---------------------------------------
A few days left of July.
I want to hang out w/the kids until they go to their dad on Saturday, limit screen time and do fun stuff instead.
I want to run once and go to the gym once.
I want to sort out some things in the apartment.
I want to plan and prepare for next week, when I work again.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 09:24:55 AM »
Monthly Goals Check in:

1. Exercise 15 / 31 days Exercised 16 days. Goal met!
2. Sell 5 things on Ebay Only 2 / 5
3. No garden purchases Goal met! $0.00 spent on gardening
4. Lose 5 lbs. Starting weight 142.6 Current weight 140.6 only 2 lbs lost

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 12:15:37 PM »
End of month summary:

1. Read 8 books - [color=green]10/8[/color]
  b. 1 History/Natural History - 2/1 Done
  c. 4 from TBR - 5/4, Done
2. Do at least 28 sit-ups per day (average) - 29.1 average, just squeaked in
3. Spend time outside 23/30 days - 23/30, just squeaked in

Creativity:
4. Sewing Projects
  4a. Repair DH pants
  4b. Blouse Muslin
  4c. Blouse
  4d. Repair Reusable Bag
  4e. Repair Towel Hem
5. Bake something each week - Granola x4, Cherry Pie, whole wheat bread x2, pear muffins x2
6. Try a new food/recipe - Not cooked by me, but we had a new dish at a friend's house

Gardening:
7. Keep Garden Alive
  7a. Stake Beans
  7b. Harvest Beans

Social:
10. See family - Sis 1, MIL 1
11. Plan to see friends - Done
13. Plan to celebrate Lughnasadh (Aug 1) - Done

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
I was really unwell Sunday and Monday so I am late but here goes - final update:

Green: completed
Blue: progress
Orange: at risk
Red: did not complete

Student loan – make a plan: I really want to get rid of the about $13k I still owe, however it is currently at 0% and will be for a couple of years more (Swedish governmental loans). Therefore, I will not use any "regular money" to pay extra. I currently pay the mandatory $2.5k per year. So I have to find additional money. Decided to get back at surveys and will also try to sell some things we don't need anymore. And I have been using the cashback credit card more. Not a lot of money, but this will be a game of snowflakes creating a snowball. I just want to write this down on paper and put it so it is a visible reminder. Some money made already- I will put them towards loan in a lump sum in December each year due to the rules of the repayment.

Food cost: Food prices have been increasing steeply in line with the overall inflation. Not a lot will happen with this goal in July as it is a holiday/travel month. But I have been good. Working to improve my sourdough bread, picked berries at a friend to use for breakfast, and some other small wins. It has been a good month, esp when I am alone/kids not here.

One off cost items: I need to create a plan for this. Should write a list of one off/once yearly etc costs and see how much I need to put in sinking funds. Nothing done yet. Move to August.

Paper clutter: Some but not much progress, will not be completed. Continue in August. This seems to be a never-ending goal for me. Move to August.

Trip w/kids - plan: Yes, but could have been better.

Connect: Some but it is tough. I guess I want to have more friends, but I don't have the energy it is hard to find the energy for it. But I do want to continue working on this goal. Will be more serious about this in August.

Yoga
Run: I have signed up for a short race end of August, and I really have to start running this weekend to be able to do a good enough race. Was ill so no progress.
Gym Was ill so no progress.
Walk

Goals:
Have fun Yes we had fun
Not too much screen time No not good enough, not for me, and not for the kids. I have to work on this.
Relax Yes, much easier now when they are older. Also I had decided not to cook a lot and the kids were great when eating in restaurants, and also were ok w/the low key meals we had.

---------------------------------------
A few days left of July.
I want to hang out w/the kids until they go to their dad on Saturday, limit screen time and do fun stuff instead. Yes - we had a good time and made a couple of really good day trips.
I want to run once and go to the gym once. Was ill so no progress.
I want to sort out some things in the apartment. Yes, good progress.
I want to plan and prepare for next week, when I work again. Yes, good enough.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
I have a couple that normally would be easy, but it has been a struggle recently.

1. Read five books. I read a ton of technical articles and datasheets (ok ok, I skim a lot of those) but would like read more “actual” books.

2. Run 60 miles. We are going to be traveling for about 13 days of the month and will be a bit challenged to run during one larger trip. Will take consistency when home to get this done.

Well, I aimed low and just missed. Hit about 54 miles running, and got through four books. Not bad given the available time.