Author Topic: Minimalist Challenge for October?  (Read 12111 times)

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Minimalist Challenge for October?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
Hey, I got rid of hinges, too :)

117-124) carabiners, donate
125-126) picture ledge shelves, donate
127) pool toy, donate
128-129) mixing bowls, donate
130) frying pan, donate
131) bunch of plastic grocery bags, recycle
132) stack of paper grocery bags, recycle
133-134) insecticides, trash
135-138) LED light bulbs, donate
139-140) scented wax melts, donate
141) was diffuser, donate
142) air filter, donate
143-144) bouncy balls, donate
145) lamp, donate
146-150) pans, donate
151) grill press, donate
152-153) swim floaties, donate
154-155) pool noodles, donate
156-157) bike seat and cover, donate
158) bike crank, donate
159) rug, donate
160) outdoor game, donate
161-162) tables, donate
163-178) hinges, trash
179) spreader covered in plaster, trash
180) goggles missing a strap, trash
181-182) junction box plates, trash
183) bookcase, donate
184) office chair, donate
185) puzzle, donate
186) bouncy ball, donate
187) plastic toy figure, trash
188-189) decks of cards, trash
190) debris from nature collected in kid's room, trash
191-195) holey old dish towels, trash
196) unsubscribed from junk emails

Almost to 200! Amazing.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
300! 60% complete! Upstairs is getting harder. Next up basement.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
Great job everybody!

We've gone through every nook and cranny except our basement. DW is excited to do this as I'm the hoarded of the family. So far we are through day 23. There's no doubt in my mind we will make it to day 31 and into November some.

You can figure out how many items you got ride of based on they day of the month. Do (n*(n+1)) / 2; where n = day. So day 23 would be (23*24/2) = 276.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »
Sorted pennies. Basement averted. Through day 25.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
We can't keep up as the numbers grow, but we definitely moved out some more stuff this morning.

SO couldn't possibly just throw out the light/stylus/Europen with his company logo, but he has promised to leave it in the supply room for someone else to claim.

A youth I mentor gave me a random present a few months ago - a wallet meant to hold your cell phone. Except that my cell phone doesn't fit with the protective cover. I finally let it go.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
This weekend is Council clear out (bulky rubbish collection) so there are more than 43 items on the kerb. However, a couple of things are not rubbish & too good for landfill so if no-one takes them I'll put them on FB and back in the garage to wait for a new home.

Digital decluttering is what I've been relying on in the week. Next weekend I'll look at the spare room which is the only room I didn't properly cover in a massive declutter at the beginning of this year. It's mainly DH's things in there so tricky.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
This will be fun!
I'll give it a go:) Since I'm already working on a new challenge in my own de-clutter gauntlet thread, this will be a great gauntlet to participate in. I'll never be a minimalist, I just don't have it in me:), but it will be fun to see if I can get up to 496 items discarded by the end of this month!

My donation box currently has 56 items in it. I thrashed at least 35 items, probably more, so far this month.
So, I'm going in with a total of 91 items as of tonight.

Now I need to read up on the links...

Oct 1 to Oct 9, 2017 - 91

Oct 10 to Oct 17, 2017
62 items - donations
83 items - trash
25  items - giveaways
New total: 261

Wow - there really is a possibility of meeting or even exceeding this goal. Still working on the utility room - who needs fifteen hinges? Keep three - just in case which is probably not minimalistic at all, since presently we have no need for them - but, ya never know:) ... and that is why I'll never be a minimalist:)
Nevertheless ... this is a great challenge in the right direction:)

Update:
So the kid stopped by and took off with 18 items (mostly car related and tools from the utility room).
Haven't done any online cleansing yet, but Mr. R. tackled the outdoor storage area on Sunday and got rid of 18 items, I tossed another 16 garden items - garden stakes, plastic pots, broken doo dads.

So now we are at:  291 items plus 52 items
New total: 343 as of Oct 23, 2017

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
I have a whole bunch of stuff I brought up from the basement to get me down the last stretch. I've been working longer days and trying to fix up a door so I haven't been able to sort, count, list, and post the things yet. Good thing I already got through the 25th.

Anyhow I hope it is going well for everyone else.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
I have fallen off the counting wagon, but I did just load up my van with two huge garbage bags of clothes, two big bags of books, and four more bags of accessories/misc so not doing terribly!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »
I took the day off because the company said we could work four tens this week. I got part way through the goal for the 29th! I can probably finish off the 29th by the end of the day. I have an evil plan for the 31st, so I only need to come up with things for the 30th now! Good thing because I am getting to the end of the easy stuff. I made two trips to the thrift store today.

Also, I gave away a kitchen sink today.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:54:09 PM by Radagast »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
Day 30 was hard. I only got rid of one physical thing and the rest was digital. Now all the easy digital files have been deleted so Day 31 is extra difficult.

I have already thought about doing this again next month but just with my business promotional merch that is taking up space in my garage. It's useful consumables that I can give to clients. If I can get rid of 500 items it would be huge. If I combine that with a bit of a rework of where things are stored, I might be able to make room for the car before the worst of the summer sun starts. Our poor car baked outside all last summer.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
DW and I made it to day 31 and them some. We quit counting after marking off our list. I never thought DW would be as excited as she was clearing house. I'm the hoarder of the family and it feels great to be free of almost 500 items.

...I might be able to make room for the car before the worst of the summer sun starts. Our poor car baked outside all last summer.

You can do it! There's nothing like pulling out of the garage on a hot summer day with the AC blowing cold.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Last count Oct 23 - 343 items.

New total Oct 24 to Oct 31: 561 items (all physical) mostly thanks to clearing out one of our sheds. On top of that I deleted over 3000 in my inbox. Can't believe I did this and still haven't cleared out my closet or tackled the shed cum studio.

Amazing to see how much one can let go in just one month and still have hundreds more to let go. Thanks for this fun challenge.
I'm still in de-clutter mode, so hopefully there will be another challenge for November to keep the ball rolling:). 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
I finished this challenge a little late. In the closing days of October I dislocated a shoulder and didn't feel like doing much. Anyhow, today I fully and legitimately rounded up the rest of the stuff to make the close of the tax year. 496 things gone! I donated some pretty nice stuff today.

This was a great challenge, but in the future lets only do it in February ;-)

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
I completely forgot I participated in this challenge (was it really only two months ago!?) until I saw the latest post. Somehow I've already done another round of minimizing (I've got 5 overflowing paper bags ready to head out the door). Where does all the stuff keep coming from?!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!