Author Topic: Meal Plan Sunday  (Read 7965 times)

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
Meal Plan Sunday
« on: September 28, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »
As we all know, a failure to plan is a plan to fail (heh heh).

I'm guilty of thinking "Oh we'll  just scrounge something up" more often than I should, which leads to stuff like chips and dip for dinner or worse, takeout. Time for a challenge!

Ground rules:
1. List the meal plan for the week. Restaurant or takeout days are fine, as long  as they're  planned for! "Flex/leftovers" days or a floating takeout freebie are fine as well.
2. Post whenever you like! Everyone's  "Sunday" is different. 
3. Include as many meals as you think appropriate. Most of the time lunch is just dinner leftovers, so I'll do just do dinners.
4. Bonus points for any fun recipe ideas.

I'll  start. DH and I eat "vegetarian-lite". Meat occurs ~1x/week, or very lightly as a flavoring agent.

1. Stir fried curry cauliflower, rice, fried egg
2. Tomatoes and lentil stew with artisan-style bread
3. Baked beans  and cornbread, stir fried green veg
4. Shakshuka-style eggs over rice
5. Salmon salad sandwiches, salad (like tuna but salmon instead. I usually throw in a can of chickpeas or navy  beans for cheap bulk)
6. Mapo tofu over rice, stir fried veg
7. Scallion pancakes with pork/tofu skin dish, extra veg

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
Re: Meal Plan Sunday
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
This week:

1. Leftovers day
2. Veggie korma over rice
3. Frittata with bean salad
4. Okonomiyaki with miso soup, tofu
5. Dumplings (working through a freezer stash)
6. Fried rice with stir fried veg
7. Sticky rice with mushrooms, soy sauce marinated eggs
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:17:13 PM by Dee_ »

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
October was going to be a lean month anyway but since the dog had a $3700 surgery ( Surprise!) on Tuesday this month is even tighter. Thank GAWD I got pet insurance ( Pets Best brand for $38 bucks a month) on my little monster. Regardless, we were going to eat down the pantry/freezer this month.

I made a huge list of meals to make for this month. Maybe can upload later. This week:
M: Lentil Soup with cornbread muffins. Using up the last of the cornmeal and two remaining onions and some fading baby carrots
Tues: lunch leftovers of lentil soup and dinner for me is mahi mahi taco date night with my bestie. I go to her place to cook and we clink back a few glasses instead of eating out. Hubs will eat a frozen pizza.
Wed: Surprise- last bits of lentil soup or old freezer finds. I have a single portion of beff chili for hubs somewhere in there.
Thurs: Potatoe broccoli cheddar soup and baking pumpkin muffins
Fri: leftovers. fend for yourself
Sat: frozen pizza or meeting up with in-laws. They are kind and feed us LOL
Sun: pancakes and bacon breakies the shepherds pie using TVP (texturized vegetable protein)

Side note: I made big batches of frozen burritos this week so we can eat them at will. About 15 huge chicken and rice burritos and 5 slamming bean and rice burritos. All from scratch, minus the tortillas, and they are an easy lunch or lazy dinner. If you want to get fancy let it thaw then open up the burrito, heat in the oven til the tortilla gets crunchy and put fried eggs over the top. Poor mans huevos rancheros.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
Holy crap! 3700 is a huge chunk of change. Good thing we love them. My inlaws had similar experience when theur cat ate a plastic bag and it blocked him up. Little furry idiot.

Good tip re: burritos chopstick. Do you keep stuff like salsa, sour cream on hand or do you just go without?

Angelhair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 04:19:11 AM »
My menu for the week:
Sun = Salmon, wild rice, carrots
Mon =  Split pea soup with ham, bread
Tues =  Hamburger with cut up vegs
Wed = Chicken, roast potato, carrots, onions, green peppers
Thru = leftovers
Fri = Tuna salad sandwich, chips
Sat = Steak, salad, baked potato

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Mon: Salmon, broccoli, rice
Tues: Beans and rice, peas
Wed: Nachos
Thurs: Saag
Fri: Pizza
Sat: Chana masala
Sun: Roast potatoes and veggies

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
I'll give the lunch & dinner choices as I prep both - usually on Sunday & Wednesday. Breakfast is steel cut oats every day. We are not vegetarians despite this week's menu.

S - (L) Leftover Lentil Soup and Grilled Cheese (D) Bean & Sweet potato Enchilada Bake
M - (L) Chickpea & Roasted Vegetable Bowl (D) Bean & Sweet potato Enchilada Bake
T - (L) Chickpea & Roasted Vegetable Bowl (D) Bean & Sweet potato Enchilada Bake
W - (L) Bean & Sweet potato Enchilada Bake (D) Out to Dinner with the in-laws
Th - (L) Honey Sriracha Tofu & Veggie Stir fry (D) Lentil & Roasted Veggies Tacos
F - (L) Honey Sriracha Tofu & Veggie Stir fry (D) Frozen Cauliflower Crust Pizza
S - (L) Lunch with my Sister (not sure if out or at her house - she's hosting so she'll decide); DH will have leftover pizza (D) Lentil & Roasted Veggies Tacos

We're starting a Friday night pizza night routine. I want to try making my own pizza dough? Does anyone have a good recipe? Preferably something I can make & freeze until needed.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
Pizza dough: www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714.amp

After you let it rise the first time, punch it down and wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, leave in fridge 18-24 hours. You might have to experiment a bit with timing- I usually move to fridge the night before for dinner the next day.  Then pat out into your pan and top, then bake.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
Sun: pasta and broccoli (had all the stuff in the freezer or pantry). Flew back to town that evening so it was my quick dinner option.

Mon: pork tenderloin (freezer), roasted sweet meat squash (from garden), cottage cheese that was nearing the end of life and some rolls (freezer)

Tue: leftover pasta for lunch, beef stew and rolls (all freezer stuff but the potatoes are from the garden)

Wed: salmon burgers (using canned salmon from the pantry, buns from the freezer, and arugula from the garden)

Thur: chicken Marsala over mashed potatoes (bought one too many packages of pancetta and need to use it up! Rest is from the freezer except the mushrooms are store bought and potatoes are from the garden)

Fri: mushroom ramen using the last of the fresh mushrooms, part of a can of coconut milk from the pantry and some odd millet and brown rice ramen that’s not actually terrible. Green onions from the garden. Will save the remaining coconut milk for next weeks red lentil dal.

Sat: some burritos blanco that I will make after shopping for the pork shoulder and enchilada sauce in the morning. Need to cook the pork shoulder in the crockpot and throw some dried white beans in the instant pot. After assembling, these get wrapped and frozen except for the ones we will be eating that night.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 02:57:27 AM »
We are currently in the strange position of having our house extremely tidy and clean (because of sales process). In friday the photographer will come and the kitchen should look clean. No no hard frying of meat on the stove, which might cause burned in fat spots which DH just carefully cleaned away.

Last week I warmed up some meatballs (produced by the shop to keep cooking simple for once) in the oven. Together with some cooked chicory and potatoes.
On Monday I fried boneless chicken thighs in the oven and had some stir fried vegetables and cooked rice.
On Tuesday we ate out (pizza), because of an early trip to the theater.

We also have 2 shop-produced pizzas in the freezer. So until Friday, we will eat food that makes the cooking top easy to clean.

Meal plan for next week can be a little more advanced as FIL and his new GF are visiting and staying over for 5 days. I hope I can convince them to cook for us once, as we have to work on most of those days. After their visit, we will have a week to clean the house again, so that should be OK.

One of the dishes we will prepare on Sunday is a bouillabaisse style fish soup, with trout that DH caught in September. He caught quite a few, so one of the drawers in the freezer is full of them. This can easily be made in advance in large quantity and kept in the fridge/freezer for later use. Served with fresh bread and rouille.

For the working days more simple food:

We have a cabbage (cheap seasonal vegetable) that needs to be eaten, so I plan to make stir fried cabbage, with mashed potatoes and fried minced meat. All mixed together with curry powder and maybe some cream to make it smoother. I skip the unions from the original recipe, because my belly responds badly to them. There was some union on my pizza (in the restaurant) yesterday and even that small amount quite bothered me the rest of the evening.

One dish will probably be spagetti with mushrooms, zucchini, but no red peppers (because of FIL's belly), and some other vegetable that I need to think of to replace the pepper. With either tomato sauce or blue cheese sauce.

That are three meals. I hope they can buy and make one meal. Last time we visited FIL, I cooked most of the meals we ate, because he had other things to worry about. Now, that will be the case for us. I generally tend to ask guests to cook if they stay longer than just a few days.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »
Pizza dough: www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714.amp

After you let it rise the first time, punch it down and wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, leave in fridge 18-24 hours. You might have to experiment a bit with timing- I usually move to fridge the night before for dinner the next day.  Then pat out into your pan and top, then bake.

Thank you. I'll have to give this one a try.

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
Holy crap! 3700 is a huge chunk of change. Good thing we love them. My inlaws had similar experience when theur cat ate a plastic bag and it blocked him up. Little furry idiot.

Yup. If I didn't have pet insurance.... not good. She is a ding bat but we love her.

Good tip re: burritos chopstick. Do you keep stuff like salsa, sour cream on hand or do you just go without?

I made the burritos with salsa inside them this time. Veggie ones were rice, homemade taco seasoning, white beans, and a butt load of salsa with hotsauce. Chicken ones were no beans and everything else the same. I think the salsa added a zing to the filling and also made them a bit easier to roll us. Plus bc it was a little moist after we nuke them they are not dry. Love me some burritos!

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
Sun: Mini lasagnas (made in the instant pot). Had to buy some gyoza wrappers for this dish, but everything else is on hand.

Mon: big pot of red lentil dal, some rice and naan. All from items on hand.

Tue: Mexican sweet potatoes. I picked up two sweet potatoes at the store this weekend, but otherwise I have everything in the freezer or pantry or garden.

Wed: Moroccan spice butternut soup and cornbread. Had a butternut squash and some carrots to use up.

That’s it for my week. I’m traveling for the rest of the week so hopefully Dh finds enough to eat in the fridge and freezer until I get home on Sunday.

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »
Red lentil soup
Beef/cabbage stir fry
Chicken burrito bowls
Split pea soup

I typically buy ingredients for 3-4 weeknight meals that are most often instant pot recipes and we eat leftovers on the days I don’t cook.  My DH often grills on the weekend.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 01:44:45 AM »
Things change as we go along. Plan for this week is:

Monday: DH and I eat pasta with tomato, eggplant and red pepper (and optionally zucchini and mushrooms as well).

The rest of the week we will have guests for dinner.

Tuesday: Bouillabaisse with self-caught trout, fresh bread and rouille.

Wednesday: Reindeer beef with sweet potato mash and Norwegian sauerkraut (which doesn't taste at all like German sauerkraut). Maybe with fresh mushrooms that DH and the guests will find, otherwise some of my dried mushrooms.

Thursday: We will ask the guests to buy and prepare dinner.

Friday: To be decided. But this is not one of our working days, so there is not so much stress.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 07:04:44 AM »
S - (L) Tofu Fried Rice (D) Sushi Roll & Egg Roll in a Bowl
M - (L) Asian Turkey Meatballs with Veggies (D) Egg Roll in a Bowl
T - (L) Out for Welcome Lunch w/New Coworker (DH will have Asian Turkey Meatballs) (D) Egg Roll in a Bowl
W - (L) Asian Turkey Meatballs with Veggies (D) Lentil Soup
Th - (L) Work Conference  (DH will have Chickpea & Roasted Vegetable Bowl ) (D) Lentil Soup
F - (L) Chickpea & Roasted Vegetable Bowl (D) Fall Fire @ Friend's House - Dinner included
S - (L) Leftovers  (D) Out to Dinner with Friends

Last week's honey sriracha tofu & veggie stir fry did not come out - way too much soy sauce! I turned it into the tofu fried rice instead. The risk you run when making a new recipe.

Bean05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 01:16:00 PM »
This week's meals:

Chili Mac, watermelon

Cream Cheese Chicken (crockpot), rice, green beans

Veggie Lo Mein, potstickers, Orange/Chinese 5 spice ribs

Bay Scallops over rice (or pasta), salad

Spaghetti with sausage, salad

Dinner out - Don Taco

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
S - (L) Leftovers (D) Lentil Soup
M - (L) Me - Work Meeting DH - White Chicken Chili (D) Chicken Breast & Roasted Veggies
T - (L) Me - Work Meeting DH - White Chicken Chili (D) Chicken Breast & Roasted Veggies
W - (L) White Chicken Chili (D) Salmon & Veggies
Th - (L) Roasted Veggie & Chickpea Bowl (D) Turkey Meatloaf, Baked Potato & Veggies
F - (L) Roasted Veggie & Chickpea Bowl (D) Turkey Meatloaf, Baked Potato & Veggies
S - (L) @ Friend's Housewarming Party (D) Turkey Meatloaf, Baked Potato & Veggies

Angelhair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
My dinner menu for the week:
Sun = Stuffed peppers
Mon = Leftovers
Tues = Breakfast for dinner
Wed = Broccoli stuffed chicken and roasted potatoes
Thru = leftovers
Fri = Tuna salad sandwich and chips
Sat = Homemade soup with homemade bread

Breakfast this week is oatmeal with fruit or yogurt with fruit.
Lunch this week is sandwiches (peanut butter & jam or grilled cheese), fruit or cutup vegs and cookies.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
Butternut squash soup (double batch)
Quesadillas
Chicken curry (slow cooker)
Red pepper pasta from Budget Bytes
Mushroom risotto
Chicken pitas

newloginuser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
Wife and I usually make large batches and just eat the same thing for most lunches/dinner. This week it is buffalo chicken that we will add to spinach for a salad. Also made butternut squash soup for the first time so we'll see how that goes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 01:18:30 PM »
Sunday: Smoked tandoori chicken, tomato basil soup and ricotta biscuits
Monday:  Beef-veggie stirfry
Tuesday: Spaghetti squash and meatballs, roasted asparagus
Wednesday:  Smoked sausage and Brussels sprouts hash
Thursday:  Chicken-broccoli-green chile soup
Friday: Leftovers

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »
Monday: Sweet potato soup (new recipe)
Tuesday: Spaghetti and turkey meatballs
Wednesday: Leek and potato soup
Thursday: Black beans and spanish rice
Friday: Pizza
Saturday: Renaissance Festival with family
Sunday: Pupusas (new recipe)

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
Today chicken enchiladas and beans
Tuesday chicken teriyaki pineapple rice coleslaw
Wednesday church potluck
Thursday baked chicken corn on cob mashed potatoes sliced tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic
Friday hotdogs and buns baked beans. (Camping)

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 06:52:06 AM »
S - (L) Grilled Cheese & Soup (D) Out for dinner with in-laws before they head back to Florida
M - (L) Turkey Meatloaf with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli (D) Homemade chicken noodle soup
T - (L)  Turkey Meatloaf with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli (D) Homemade chicken noodle soup
W - (L) Egg roll in a bowl (D) Cuban sandwiches
Th - (L) Egg roll in a bowl (D) Cuban sandwiches
F - (L) Leftovers (D) Frozen cauliflower crust pizza
S - Lunch & Dinner - TBD will be out of town

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 06:54:11 AM »
S - (L) Grilled Cheese & Soup (D) Leftovers
M - (L) Roasted veggie & chickpea bowl (D) Turkey Tacos
T - (L)  Roasted veggie & chickpea bowl (D) Turkey Tacos
W - (L) Veggie enchilada casserole (D) Salmon & roasted asparagus
Th - (L) Veggie enchilada casserole (D) Sardine pasta
F - (L) Veggie enchilada casserole (D) Sardine pasta
S - (L) Hummus & veggies sandwich (D) Dinner out

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 06:57:08 AM »
Pancakes and bacon
Chicken pot pie
Lemon chicken over angel hair
Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas Thai pineapple fried rice
Potato pancakes and homemade applesauce

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:38 AM »
S - (L) Sardine Pasta & Garlic Bread (D) Frozen Pizza
M - (L) Roasted veggie & chickpea bowl (D) Sardine Pasta & Garlic Bread
T - (L)  Roasted veggie & chickpea bowl (D) Egg Roll in Bowl
W - (L) Asian Meatballs and Roasted Veggies (D) Egg Roll in Bowl
Th - (L) Asian Meatballs and Roasted Veggies (D) Lentil & Barley Soup
F - (L) Lentil & Barley Soup (D) Salmon & veggies
S - (L) Grilled cheese and avocado sandwich (D) Dinner out with friends

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »
Resurrecting this thread because I need to be eating down the larder, and meal planning is the best way to force me to do it.

Today: chili (larder: pickled jalapenos, dried chilis) and cornbread
Thursday: rice, ketchup shrimp & cabbage (larder: shrimp)
Friday: curried potatoes & onions, salmon
Saturday: pizza (sun dried tomatoes, cheese) and salad

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
Chili
Santa Fe Tortellini (baked pasta dish with a tex mex twist)
Fajitas
Meatball subs
Calzones
Stir fry from freezer

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 04:58:38 PM »
Our meals are generally pretty simple and boring, but I'll play along.

Sunday:  Baked Chicken with salad
Monday:  leftover chicken and some sort of steamed vegetable
Tuesday: Stir fry chicken and vegetables
Wednesday:  Meatballs and bowtie pasta
Thursday:  Pizza
Friday:  leftover meatballs and pasta
Saturday:  Fish sticks

This is good.  Now I know to take out the ground beef on Tuesday. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 05:06:18 PM »
We plan Friday-Friday at our house

Friday - buffalo chicken & tortellini
Saturday - kebabs, rice, yogurt sauce & grilled tomatoes
Sunday - chicken curry
Monday - chicken tacos, with pico de gallo
Tuesday - leftover kebabs & rice
Wednesday - leftover chicken curry
Thursday - white chicken chili
Friday - warm taco slaw

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
We rotate between the same 8-10 meals all the time.. Usually go out to dinner once (rarely twice) per week.

All our meals are measured with their calories/macros counted initially. In a few weeks we’re gonna do a slight overhaul in our meals as I plan to cut back my calories a bit, so basically just a re-baseline.

9 a.m.: 2 scoops protein in almond milk
Noon: Dinner from night before (often something vegetarian with tofu, eggs, etc.)
4 p.m.: Banana
(Workout)
6 p.m.: 2 scoops protein in almond milk
7:30 p.m.: dinner (wife doubles up so we have lunch the next day)

We’ve been doing the above structure for nearly a decade. Works perfect.. Want to lose a little weight, just cut something back a bit.. On the weekends if we go out to dinner I might cut out a shake or cut my lunch in half, or have a big workout that day.

When we go out to eat it’s usually pretty reasonable. Last night we went out and I had miso soup, 6 pieces of sashimi, and a rainbow roll.

We have ice cream a couple nights a week, but it’s usually like a low calorie halo top with a banana. Also have these delicious fruit bars most night’s, they’re around 40 calories.

This month I will end up at around 9500 calories burned through exercise. Last year I averaged around 14,000 per month. We just got a peloton so that should help pick things back up.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
We plan Sunday - Saturday. I'm good at preplanning the week, but usually fall apart on the weekends. This will be a good reminder.

S - (L) Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup (D) Homemade Pizza (a weekly tradition started during COVID)
M - (L) Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup (D) Baked Chicken Thighs and Roasted Veggies
T - (L)  Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup (D) Dinner with a friend for her birthday
W - (L) Baked Chicken Thighs and Roasted Veggies (D) Asian Chicken Salad
Th - (L) Turkey Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus (D) Asian Chicken Salad
F - (L) Turkey Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus (D) Salmon & veggies
S - (L) Stopping at in-laws to help set up some tech with DH; his Mom will make lunch (D) Cookout @ friend's house

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »
We do Sat-Fri, but Saturday is always the same unless we go out or aren't hungry.

Sun: Southwest scramble (eggs, potatoes, all the wayward veggies in the crisper drawer, refried beans, and salsa)

Mon: Pesto faro salad

Tues: Polenta bowls with roast brussels sprouts and mustard tofu

Weds: Shrimp and zoodles in garlic sauce, with rosemary bread

Thurs: Tofu stirfry night

Fri: Veggie burgers and salad

Sat: Veggie flatbread and yam fries

We're predominantly veg and don't often eat seafood, but the shrimp were a gift from a neighbor moving and cleaning out their freezer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:36 AM »
I stopped cooking every day and give DH responsibility to cook every other day. We used to do this earlier as well, so this is no shock for him. I still do most of the shopping, as I have bank cards and memberships to give me kickback on groceries. Today in the second shop I saw at cashing system that there were electronic coupons for lots of stuff I had just bought in another shop that morning. But the coupons are valid for another 2 weeks. I should just remember to use them.

For planning, it is on my list to cook dolmas some time soon.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
Things to use up this week: kale, half a cabbage, brown rice 

S: Spicy ramen for lunch, lentil stew w/ bread for dinner (kale, brown rice)
M: leftovers, veggie pancakes w/ fried egg (cabbage, kale)
T: Marinated brown rice salad (brown rice, dressing, fresh herbs & feta) w/ salmon
W: Fried rice
R: Instant Pot Pork ribs, cabbage slaw & bread
F: Chili & jalapeno cornbread
S: leftovers/flex night

The trick is using up the brown rice. I never want to use it because it takes forever to cook and/or dirties the IP insert, so I'm going to soak it before hand to speed up the cooking time.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
The first week of the month is my clean out the fridge/freezer week. My adult son doesn't drive and lives nearby. He's also paid the first Friday of the month. So we team up and go to the annoyingly busy big grocery store with the amazing bulk food section once a  month on the first Saturday every month. It works well -- he gets a ride so he can buy a lot of groceries cheap, and I get an extra set of hands to help me load/unload car. Plus, it's nice to reconnect in a way that is reminiscent of when we all still lived under one roof (he was always my main grocery buddy when he was a kid). So I must clean out all the things so I have room for the monthly stockup.

Sun: Shrimp spring roll salad (innards of a spring roll blown up to meal salad size proportions). Using up the shrimp in the freezer we were gifted, as well as a bag of mung sprouts. Served with bigleaf maple blossom fritters if this afternoon's foraging goes well.

Mon: Okonomiyaki (cabbage pancakes) served with the last of the shrimp, if we still have some leftover. Uses up the last of the cabbage.

Tues: Yam curry farro with a side salad. I over bought lettuce, which will hopefully be rectified between this and the spring roll salad. Must also use the yam that has been languishing on the counter for a couple of weeks.

Wed: Cauliflower frittata and roast zucchini. We aren't huge cauliflower fans, but I have a big bag in the freezer that needs to be used up...

Thursday: Clean out the veggie drawer tofu stirfry

Friday: Veggie burgers and salad (buh-bye, last of the lettuce!)

Saturday: Flatbread/pizza & yam fries.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »
I usually do my meal plan on Saturday morning with an inventory of what needs to be used up, then I build my shopping list around that. Things got a little wonky during the pandemic, but I'm working back towards that model. I try to plan some "flex" meals towards the end of the week, so if I don't get around to making them, food won't go to waste. I have a hard time predicting leftovers because sometimes my husband eats like one of my horses, and other times not so much.

Tonight we're having turkey/broccoli soup using up a turkey breast that's been in the freezer for a few months, the end of a celery bunch, broccoli that got a little frozen at the back of the fridge, and some partial packs of sour cream and cream cheese.

Tomorrow I'll slow roast a 1/2 leg of lamb, and we'll have asparagus and carrots alongside, the probably leftover lamb and some different veggies on Tuesday.

Wednesday will be tofu curry and bok choy. Maybe rice if we're hungry enough.

I'll be off work the rest of the week, so I decided to only plan through Wednesday and then wing it Thursday and Friday.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
I normally plan Friday to Friday, and cook the majority of our meals over the weekend. During the work week, we tend to have leftovers, or repurposed weekend meals. I was out of town this weekend, so we will heavily rely on previously prepped freezer meals.

Monday - ground beef tacos
Tuesday - grilled chicken & cheese tortellini
Wednesday - spaghetti & meatballs
Thursday - leftover tacos
Friday - leftovers of either chicken & tortellini or spaghetti & meatballs. Whatever is left

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
S - (L) Leftovers from lunch with in-laws (D) Thai chicken pizza
M - (L) Chili and cornbread (D) BBQ chicken sandwich with roasted veggies
T - (L)  Chili and cornbread (D) BBQ chicken sandwich with roasted veggies
W - (L) BBQ chicken sandwich with roasted veggies (D) Chicken Salad
Th - (L) Chickpea and Cauliflower Tikka Masala (D) Chicken Salad
F - (L) Chickpea and Cauliflower Tikka Masala (D) Tofu Stir fry
S - (L) Brunch with friends (D) Tofu Stir fry

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2021, 07:02:30 PM »
Starting to see the back of the fridge & freezer!

I found the packet of mung beans that I tore the kitchen apart looking for last month, heh. And some peanuts.

S: Bunless chili dogs (leftover chili, freezer hot dogs, + the last of the brown rice!)
M: Chinese sticky rice w/ mung beans (pantry: shiitake mushrooms, peanuts, mung beans)
T: kimchi fried rice w/ braised soybeans, shredded potatoes, fried egg
W: moong dal w/ rice
R: congee w/ preserved eggs & kimchi, leftovers
F: tomato lentil stew w/ bread (frozen peppers, potatoes)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2021, 08:32:08 AM »
Another week, another menu!

Sunday: Southwest veggie scramble
Monday: Brown rice loaf and a salad
Tuesday: Pesto farro with peas and asparagus
Wednesday: Mashed potato bowls with crunchy tofu and green beans
Thursday: Tofu stirfry
Friday: Veggie burgers and salad
Saturday: Flatbread and sweet potato fries

Lunch soup of the week: Inspired by @Dee_ - tomato lentil stew

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2021, 07:09:19 AM »
S - (L) Mothers' Day Brunch potluck (D) Grocery store sushi (spent all my cooking/baking energy making the brunch food)
M - (L) Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (D) Turkey Meatloaf and roasted veggies
T - (L)  Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (D) Turkey Meatloaf and roasted veggies
W - (L) Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (D) Lemony Shrimp Orzo Pasta & Salad
Th - (L) Chicken Burrito Bowl (D) Lemony Shrimp Orzo Pasta & Salad
F - (L) Chicken Burrito Bowl (D) Red Lentil Dal
S - (L) Red Lentil Dal (D) Cookout with friends

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2021, 10:56:47 AM »
Here's our menu for the week:

Friday - leftover burgers & sauteed spinach
Saturday - egg roll in a bowl + salad
Sunday - grilled chicken caesar salad, sourdough bread, lemon bars (Mother's Day splurges)
Monday - leftover egg roll in a bowl
Tuesday - chicken tacos (with grilled chicken from Sunday)
Wednesday - hot dogs + cheese tortellini
Thursday - chicken caesar salad + garlic bread
Friday - wings, baked chicken & salad

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
This week's menu:

Sunday: Avocado toast, eggs, and sliced tomatoes
Monday: Okonomiyaki (cabbage pancakes) & radish-cucumber salad
Tuesday: Yam enchiladas & tomato-avocado salad
Wednesday: Briam (Greek roasted veggies) & a side salad
Thursday: Tofu & summer squash stirfry
Friday: Veggie burgers and salad
Saturday: Pizza and yam fries

Lunch: Farro vegetable soup

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »
This week will be bad for planning, but my sister and niece are visiting for the weekend, and I won't have a good idea of our plans until they arrive.

S - (L) Stopped for lunch at a brewery after a long bike ride on a state trail with DH  (D) Homemade Pizza
M - (L) Chickpea and Cauliflower Tikka Masala on Rice (D) Quesadilla with leftover chicken and side salad
T - (L) Chickpea and Cauliflower Tikka Masala on Rice (D) Quesadilla with leftover chicken and side salad
W - (L) Pork & Peanut Dragon Noodles (D) Bean & Rice Burrito
Th - (L) Pork & Peanut Dragon Noodles (D) Tofu Fried Rice
F - (L) Tofu Fried Rice (D) Homemade BBQ chicken Pizza
S - (L) TBD  (D) TBD

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »
My wife and I have been planning, tracking, and counting calories/macros for around 6-8 years.

The below is my current diet.. Two shakes w/ Ezekiel bread or walnuts, and 3 meals per day, around 1900-2000 calories per day.

We probably have 30-40 pages similar to those below and those only go back a few years..

It’s pretty easy to get a good sense of everything as you do it a while.. Every once in a while we do a “re-baseline” on the numbers after we’ve made some adjustments for a while and want to check exactly where we’re at.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:12:03 PM by use2betrix »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 02:37:19 PM »
I was out of town over the weekend, which always throws off my planning. I think for today it will be:
-2 diners with burgers, 2 with spaghetti & meatballs
-grilled chicken salads
-hot dogs & coleslaw
-chicken curry
-pizza from the freezer

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »
I'm leaving town on Friday to visit family, so eating down the fridge before we go!

Sat: Flatbread and sweet potato fries
Sun: Mexican scramble
Mon: Polenta with mustard tofu and asparagus
Tues: Egg sandwiches and zucchini-yam hash
Wed: Okonomiyaki and radish-cucumber salad
Thur: Veggie burgers and salad

lunches: Yam and white bean taco soup

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!