Author Topic: May ~ Weight Loss Challenge  (Read 14699 times)

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
Re: May ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »
Wednesday weekly averages:

April 25:      162.0 lbs, 36.1"
May 2:        160.7 lbs, 35.8"
May 9:        160.3 lbs, 35.5"
May 16:      159.5 lbs, 35.7"

Not quite sure what to make of this -- the weight and the circumference numbers aren't running in sync :-)

We'll give it another week and see where they go.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

Not quite sure what to make of this -- the weight and the circumference numbers aren't running in sync :-)

We'll give it another week and see where they go.

Is it possibly a measuring error in that it is not the exact same spot as the other measurements? 

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »
Totally fell off the wagon here. So I'm weighting in today and will get my butt back in gear for the rest of the month. Don't know if I'll hit my 4lbs goal but I will at least move in the right direction;

May 16th 125.4Lbs
Goal 121.4lbs
0/4 lbs lost

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Eh... I haven't had any movement on the scale.  I think it's because I have not been getting as much exercise as usual and my carb intake went up last week due to a mis-delivered bag of pretzel rolls.  :)  At least there's no gain. 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

Is it possibly a measuring error in that it is not the exact same spot as the other measurements?

Yeah, that's my guess, though I do each daily measurement 3 times & average them, and then take the weekly average of those 7 averages. (Yeah, OCD. File under "put your neuroses to work for you!") Still, over a long enough time you're bound to get a run of wack measurements. That 35.5" from last week looks pretty out of place! I thought at the time it looked too good to be true.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
OT a bit - My cat was really easy to persuade. I always let her give the puppy a good swat, puppy learned respect and fear for the cat, and all was fine.  Given the puppy was bigger than the cat when she first came home, respect and fear were good things.

Sorry for the off topic, but I really wish it were this easy!  She took one look at him one month ago and ran up the stairs and she has refused to be on the same floor as him since.  We have to carry her from the basement to the second floor and back twice a day to use the litterbox and she fights us the whole time.

Weight wise I'm slightly up to 167 (within margin of error) and simply ravenous today. I had a 950 calorie breakfast and I really, really want want a burrito right now.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:03 PM »
I just found a scale today at my friend's house and it seems like I'm down 1 lb in 3 weeks. Which is remarkable, as they weren't my best 3 weeks food and exercise wise.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »
I'm down 1.6.  The loss accelerated once I accepted that no, you can't have a glass of wine with dinner and expect to lose weight.  If anyone is interested, I find the app "Lose it!" very helpful.  Having to log everything you eat does make you think twice about eating something that you don't want a record of. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
OT a bit - My cat was really easy to persuade. I always let her give the puppy a good swat, puppy learned respect and fear for the cat, and all was fine.  Given the puppy was bigger than the cat when she first came home, respect and fear were good things.

Sorry for the off topic, but I really wish it were this easy!  She took one look at him one month ago and ran up the stairs and she has refused to be on the same floor as him since.  We have to carry her from the basement to the second floor and back twice a day to use the litterbox and she fights us the whole time.

Weight wise I'm slightly up to 167 (within margin of error) and simply ravenous today. I had a 950 calorie breakfast and I really, really want want a burrito right now.

Oh your poor kitty, how stressful for her.  She is definitely not channeling her inner Scottish wildcat.

Weight-wise I have stalled. 

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
Down 4 lbs, so 1 more lb to go by the end of the month. Action steps continue to be: low carb breakfast & lunch, kickboxing classes, tracking calories on myfitnesspal, and following an 80/20 plan (20 percent of the time I don't stress about what I'm eating-- so if I do something with friends on the weekend and a big brunch comes into play, it's OK). I also totally agree with an earlier comment-- having to record everything you eat leads to better choices because you don't want to have to add 600 calories of ice cream to your log! I've also finally reached that stage of diet-reset where I am not craving stuff quite as much. There is non-dairy ice cream in my freezer and I haven't eaten it for weeks! Not sure if things will stay this way, but I hope so. It took about six weeks for cravings to subside. 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:50 PM »
Realized this morning that leveling out my weight loss and still expecting to lose an inch per month from my waist is roughly equivalent to expecting my body to build five pounds of new muscle per month. Which is absurd. A pound of new muscle in a month is serious training-up (unless you're totally deconditioned to start with.) Holding my weight steady at 160, losing these last three inches should take more like... oh, eighteen months. Crap.

Still, there it is. I just have to readjust my thinking. A realistic goal for myself now is something like 0.2" per month. The glory days of obvious shape-changing every month are over :-)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
Well, yeah. You are 160 lbs; you can't loose forever. Build muscle and those abs!

I am getting frustrated. I have taken to a new nutrition, cutting, and muscle building plan. Though I am getting much stronger and arms, shoulders and legs are getting toned, gut and lower back haven't had much improvement; nor weight. Bah!

Trying to find ab workouts 'you can do while at work!' I need to loose the weight and the spare tire.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
I'm definitely stalled. I'm forgiving myself for this :)
Some periods in life are harder to release weight in than others -big transitions are definitely that point for me. My child's life has changed positively, suddenly, significantly, and this is impacting what I have access to and when. I now need to develop a plan for me. Over the next seven days, I will focus my WLC energy on that, so that I've got a nice plan in place for the June challenge.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
Well, yeah. You are 160 lbs; you can't loose forever. Build muscle and those abs!

I am getting frustrated. I have taken to a new nutrition, cutting, and muscle building plan. Though I am getting much stronger and arms, shoulders and legs are getting toned, gut and lower back haven't had much improvement; nor weight. Bah!

Trying to find ab workouts 'you can do while at work!' I need to loose the weight and the spare tire.

An L-sit in your chair? :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGgJy6IVXI

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
I'm also stuck again.  I really want to knock some weight off this month because I'm on vacation the first two weeks of June and I know I'm going to overeat then.  Weightloss is mostly diet, but I really need to find the time to start working out again just from a feeling better and trying not to lose muscle tone perspective.  I haven't done it in long enough that I won't be able to pick up where I left off, which is disappointing.

One of my roommates and I are planning a backpacking trip over the long weekend so at least I know I'll be able to stick to my diet for two days. I'll allow myself some additional calories for that, but I feel like calorie expenditure isn't actually all that much higher than normal, and even if it is, two days of caloric deprivation won't hurt me too much. 

Not that I ever remember to do exercises at my desk, but what about sitting on the edge of your chair and leaning back as far as you can without resting your back?  I also try to do butt clenches when I remember and find excuses to have to run up or down the stairs to do something. I think it helps if I do it on a regular basis. Activating those big muscles helps burn calories.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:01:00 PM by neophyte »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
I now need to develop a plan for me. Over the next seven days, I will focus my WLC energy on that, so that I've got a nice plan in place for the June challenge.

Actually, for accountability I'm going to post that here (editing it as I figure things out).

Main challenges:
1. My new homes are coffee shops and pubs.
2. Even if I walk for the first hour of a given session, at some point I need to hunker down.
3. Safety
4. Heat

So, I need to identify any of:
1. Cool walking routes, or walking companions, or cheap solo activities during those times
2. Healthy ways to support the venues (e.g., herbal tea, or no product just a tip)
3. Cold, portable protein
4. Other healthy ways to nurture myself in the new schedule

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2018, 04:06:16 PM »
2. Healthy ways to support the venues (e.g., herbal tea, or no product just a tip)
3. Cold, portable protein

2.  Oh!  I like the tip only idea!  I'll have to remember that in the future to assuage my guilt about not ordering anything when my friends want to hit happy hour.

3.  I'm a big fan of hard boiled eggs!  They are cheap, easy, and keep for a relatively long time. I even take them on backpacking trips.  I haven't eaten them after more than 3 days unrefrigerated though.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
ha, the tip-only idea was brand new to me the moment of posting, I think :)    I liked it too! I think I'll just do that for several places this week, see how it feels.

Hard-boiled egg! You're brilliant :)     I had no idea they could go so long unrefrigerated. (Mine would only need to last a few hours.)

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2018, 06:22:15 AM »
I have always enjoyed steamed milk at coffee shops. Not an everyday thing and it does have ~200 calories, but it has protein and is an non-caffeinated option. Though regular coffee is always calorie budget friendly.
Jerky of some sort is another good unrefrigerated protein source. Not exactly cheap though.
I have also frozen yogurt cups or gogurt and eaten them at lunch and they are either still cool or partially frozen depending how hot it is.

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:55 AM »
End of week 3
Weekly high: 196 lb
Weekly low: 192.6 lb
Weekly average: 193.8 lbs

Start weight: 197.6
W1 ave: 196.4
W2 ave: 196.2

Feel pretty good about the average weight. This is the first week I have felt good about my alcohol intake- 6 drinks over the week. Probably should drop it to 4-5 over the week, but I have a house project that isn't going so well, so I am chalking up 2 of those drinks to not having a back door. Did better with yoga this past week, but I didn't run. Still trying to find an exercise balance that works for me.
Hope everybody is finding some positives in this process, even if the progress is being elusive.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2018, 07:50:34 AM »
Thanks very much for the ideas, Gilly :)   Much appreciated. The cost of jerky for this purpose is worth it to me. My favourite drink at a shop is a super frothy (“dry”) skim cappucino. As many times per week as I need to be out now, the cost would be too much, but in the rotation it would be fine.

Realized last night that I’m also just going to return to my favourite approach: my (long) list of optimal foods. There’s simply no value, benefit, or need in the things off that list that are problematic for me. I’m happiest knowing my plan and staying within in. It’s a lovely list, and easy to go with, so that starts today again. So, this morning’s outing will be: tip only; or chamomile tea (could also be that capp, but I’m not spending that much today).

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
Today's Workarounds

Weather: Bright, dry, clear, warm
Planning: Googlemap area parks; leave book bag at home (no book bag = no coffee shop, no fretting about stuff)

830am: Hearty breakfast, two 'B Calm' supplement
930: Drop off kid, start walking - aim to pause somewhere for L-sit (thanks, koshtra) and other handstand preparation work
1030-1120: Counselling
1120-6pm: Home for studying, work, food, fruit-juice freezie, etc
7pm: Outing, water bottle, at break play outside with kid

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »
I've lost another pound, bringing my total for the year to 4.2 lbs/lost. This is WAY slower than I want, but it's moving in the right direction. I also just got back from a work trip, and have another one starting Saturday. Those trips kill my mojo and I always gain a pound. (20 hour travel days, unusual food, every meal out, jet lag, sleep, less working out), etc. I'm coming up with a few goals for this week's trip:

-I usually treat myself to cream in my coffee + sugar, because I'm so tired. I'm going to sub for tea. I don't love tea, but it's the caffeine I need, not the calories. Also, I'll be in Tokyo, so there will be an abundance of nice tea.
-I'm going to limit alcohol to weekends + my one team dinner, vs feeling like I can have drinks every day as a "reward" for surviving. Nope
-No sugar
-Work out 4 times.

My goal is to come back at the same weight, and then be able to kick this last .8 pound, which will put me at a new mental milestone.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »
Way to go, MaybeBabyMustache! I really like your planning, too.

Today's Workarounds

That went so freakishly well, I'm going to plan in that level of detail for tomorrow too.

When I went to start walking today, I found glorious things: a free outdoor gym next to the water, tall sets of stairs to climb, etc. SCORE! Counsellor didn't show, so I spent my waiting time doing body-weight strength stuff in the hall, then took off walking again. I loved being outdoors yet safe, and alone thus unselfconscious in my explorations.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
Counselor DIDN'T SHOW? Well, that's an easy one to cross off. Sheesh!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2018, 05:49:28 PM »
Counselor DIDN'T SHOW? Well, that's an easy one to cross off. Sheesh!

It was a much more convoluted and terrible story than just that. A simple no-show, with a follow-up of, "Oh shit, I messed up. So sorry. Can we reschedule?" works just fine for me, because we all forget a thing sometimes. (My son's counsellor forgot once, no biggie.) However, the entire episode with this Potential Therapist was appalling. So yes, NOPE!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
Tomorrow's Workarounds

830am: Hearty breakfast (ham, eggs, kale), one 'B Calm' supplement
930: Walk, outdoor handstand preps
School work at coffee shop. Options: Hot frothy skim capp, or cham tea, or just tip
Work, eat, etc
Kid's evening class: walk solo to errand

I usually sit (work) during kid's classes, but now it's light and dry out til late so am able to be active during those times. I walk far more efficiently if I have a goal (task or place). I can start doing more of those by foot now.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
The last 2.5 weeks have been a whirlwind of non stop physical labour while fixing my house, then my brother's house with no time to snack between meals. My craving levels have dropped and with it, my weight. I finally got back to my scale for the first time since the beginning of the month and I'm ALREADY down the 4 pounds I had set as my goal this month. :)

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »

May 23:      158.2 lbs, 35.4"

I guess I'll wait for next week's numbers before making up my mind, but it looks like I haven't added enough calories back in to bring my weight to equilibrium. (I didn't know I could even BE this small. What happened to my "big bones"?)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
I've had a few 1600-1700 calorie days and with it, my weight is back up to 169. And I got home at 8 last night and was too tired to walk the dog so we just played fetch.  At this rate, my goal of being in the 140's by September is out of reach :(

I'm supposed to meet a friend for dinner tonight.  I struggle when it comes to being social and frugal- both with the calorie budget and the money budget.  I decided to take a leaf out of jooni's book and try pre-planning for the day instead of recording as I go.  I don't like it pre-planning meals, but I do think I stick to my goals better that way.  The plan is to get burritos. I'm hoping I can eat half for dinner and save the other half for lunch tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Edit: Did ok on calories, not great, 1450. Roommate has shared the hiking plan. Is essentially 28 miles in 1 full and 2 half days. I'm not sure I'm up for that much right now. I'm used to walking 6 or 7 a day but that's without a pack on basically flat ground.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:02:41 PM by neophyte »

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »
Down 2.4.  I don't think I'll make the full 5 by the end of the month, but I'm pretty happy so far. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
I spent a few days with a friend with an odd eating pattern. Pretty convinced I must've lost weight hanging out with him as we skipped breakfast every day, once forgot dinner (we drank beer instead tho) and I also semi-forgot lunch twice resulting in a small meal at 4 PM.

Surely not the healthiest of all days, but it always surprises me how easy those days happen when I'm hanging out with him. Let's just consider it some unintended intermittent fasting. It'll take another week before I have access to a scale though, so now it's a matter of keeping up healthy eating and see the results after that.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi everyone - I hope things are going well.  I'm taking a break from the weight loss challenge to focus on some other health issues and I'll probably be gone for 4-6 weeks. 

Would someone be willing to create the June challenge thread to keep the momentum going?  If so, you can create it anytime and do it any way you like.  :)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
I'd be happy to make a thread, but I don't know how committed I'll be able to be to loosing weight in June. I'll be on vacation the first two weeks, so if I can manage to stay steady, that will be a victory for me.

I'm happy to report I survived the backpacking trip unscathed aside from a minor blister.  It turned out it wasn't quite as grueling as I had imagined it would be.  I had another friend offer to go backpacking with me sometime which is awesome because the roommate I went with has been a bit of a pill lately and I need a break from him!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »
I've failed miserably, but I'm up for trying again next month.  I've at least been working out 3x/week, and I'm committed to keeping that up, so it's a start.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »

May 30:      157.7 lbs, 35.3"

Just under the wire. I guess I'm done here: I mean to lose another inch or two from my waistline over the next couple years, but my weight is where I wanted it -- below anything I ever really thought possible, in fact. Monthly progress will be pretty near imperceptible, at this point. Thanks so much, all, for the company on this last stretch of the road!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »
I'm in for 4

As of today I lost EIGHT pounds in May. After a year of struggling/lack of motivation I knocked it out of the park this month. One month at a time seems to be working for me.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
I'm in for 4

As of today I lost EIGHT pounds in May. After a year of struggling/lack of motivation I knocked it out of the park this month. One month at a time seems to be working for me.

Whoa! Congrats!

May 30:      157.7 lbs, 35.3"

Just under the wire. I guess I'm done here: I mean to lose another inch or two from my waistline over the next couple years, but my weight is where I wanted it -- below anything I ever really thought possible, in fact. Monthly progress will be pretty near imperceptible, at this point. Thanks so much, all, for the company on this last stretch of the road!
Congrats to you too! Well miss you around here but I then that's a good thing. You can now start the "Maintaining Weight in Month" thread series.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2018, 06:16:55 AM »
Some how through all the ups and downs I lost 8 pounds in another month. I have also been eating a lot of protein and working out and lifting pretty hard. Most of the weight came off in the first week or so in May and the rest of the month was just lifting and exchanging body fat for muscle watching my weight fluctuate.

FrugalYCP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2018, 07:04:41 AM »
I'm down 3.6 lbs total, but failed to reach my goal of 5. I've gained a belt loop though, so I'm happy with my progress. I'll keep with it and hopefully see similar results next month.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2018, 07:20:56 AM »
Put me in for 10.

I'm doing basically full Keto at this point. i've got plenty to lose and think that 10 is reasonable.... iiiiiiiiiiiiffff I keep to my plan of actually eating keto (and turning down muffins, donuts, cookies, etc).

This morning, weighed in at 212.2 lbs. 

By 5/31, would love to be at or around 200.  Might be a tad aggressive, but we shall see!

Wow, I weighed today at exactly 212.2 and have about the same goal :-)

Nice!  I'm doing keto/low carb also.  Had a cheat meal yesterday after a successful week.  Currently looking at 211.6 (post cheat).  Hopefully drop a few pounds this week.

Need to do better.  Let special events drag me down on weekends.  Ended the month down 0.8 pounds!  Better than gaining, but with a huge vacation coming up the first week of July i'd really like to be around 200 at the end of june.  Maybe just shoot for taking that decimal out and losing 8 pounds instead of .8.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
I had some early loss, but I ended the challenge at exactly my starting weight. I'm in for trying for 5lbs again in June. On a positive note, I lost 2% body fat so I'll count that as a win even though the scale stayed the same weight wise.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
I've been all over the place this month but basically averaging out to nothing. Here's my graph for the month so far. Who knows where it will wind up? I'm still counting today so I'll report back tomorrow with the final number.

I'm not too hopeful for next month. I'm not going to track much or at all the first two weeks. I'm just hoping not to gain although there's a lot of eating and drinking on the schedule so far!  I'll probably shot for 2lb down for the rest of the month.

June thread created here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:51:03 AM by neophyte »

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
The scale I was using at work has a metal frame. I just realized that depending on how you stand, the frame may support some of your weight.  So I don't actually know what my weight is relative to last month.  However, my clothes tell me that I haven't lost anything.  I was pretty good with eating, but challenges included some foot problems that I let discourage me from exercising.  I'll purchase my own scale and try to do better next month!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2018, 05:48:48 AM »
I weighed in at 166 this morning making a loss of 2.5 lbs for May.
My 6 month graph is definitely starting to shallow out.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2018, 05:50:27 AM »
I managed 4.6.  April was easy, May was hard.

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »
3.2 Lbs.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »
Had a stressful day yesterday with work negotiations and didn't eat much.

Lost another 2 lbs!

I know that won't last though, but still fun to see the number.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:53 AM »
Stepped on the scale last weekend and the pound that seemed to be off before was back on (but could just be a scale/location difference).

Not that I'd done anywhere near a good job this month anyway, so I'll be aiming for another 3 lbs over in the June thread :)

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
I lost 10 pounds in May.

June, here I come.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!