Author Topic: May Cycling Challege 2014  (Read 19327 times)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Re: May Cycling Challege 2014
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
Well, we're a one car family now. Sold my other car further forcing myself to ride in. I'll get another car before winter, but not a car loan.

Winter biking is not only easy, it's fun!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/115711192356050024180/posts/GcvtWokyVT8

I know, I was biking last winter too.
Damn, that was when my wife and I lived in a 2bed apartment a couple blocks from wash park in Denver for $650/month. Then came kids ...

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
Well, we're a one car family now. Sold my other car further forcing myself to ride in. I'll get another car before winter, but not a car loan.

+1 so much fun

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »

+1 so much fun

I'm going to try and keep my goblins involved this winter, but first I have to build a bigger Frankentrailer. They're still a bit young to bike in bad conditions. I can only imagine the looks we'll get if I keep my human-powered minivan rolling through the dark and cold.

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
A friend of mine just got himself one of those Fat Bikes for winter cycling. Says he loves it. It'd be interesting to try it with a trailer, though.

New challenge is up!!!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/june-cycling-challenge-2014/

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
https://plus.google.com/u/0/115711192356050024180/posts/GcvtWokyVT8

I know, I was biking last winter too.
Damn, that was when my wife and I lived in a 2bed apartment a couple blocks from wash park in Denver for $650/month. Then came kids ...

That is the best use of Google Stories I've seen yet. Way to go. Gotta love the fact that as you are riding down a snowy path, there were already multiple bike tire paths cut through it. I love CO!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
A friend of mine just got himself one of those Fat Bikes for winter cycling. Says he loves it. It'd be interesting to try it with a trailer, though.

Zero interest in a fat bike. In fact, my hybrid with non-studded 700x35 tires had way more grip than my MTB.

jordanread

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »

Zero interest in a fat bike. In fact, my hybrid with non-studded 700x35 tires had way more grip than my MTB.

I don't really have any interest in them either, but he has major vertigo issues, and loves the stability it gives him compared to his MTB with studs. Lot's of hills in between his house and work. I rode it around the parking lot when he got it, but the additional weight and rolling resistance is obvious. Granted, when he switched back in the summer, I imagine he rocked the ride. :-)

Personally, I've got a Specialized RockHopper that I use for my daily commute. Was thinking about looking into a road bike of some kind, but I don't think I've hit the limits with it yet. It seems that every ride to work is the fastest ride so far. The Power Grips I got have made a huge difference. Almost as good as SPDs, without needing a specific pair of shoes.

I might search about for suggestions once I hit the limits of the bike, but right now, I am the weakest link. Keep getting better though. Hopefully this month I won't fall out of the habit a couple weeks in like I have for the last two months.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
I've got Nashbar's platforms with the traction pins. Super grippy. I gained an easy 1-2mph switching to those, especially with the fully loaded trailer.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

I don't really have any interest in them either, but he has major vertigo issues, and loves the stability it gives him compared to his MTB with studs. Lot's of hills in between his house and work. I rode it around the parking lot when he got it, but the additional weight and rolling resistance is obvious. Granted, when he switched back in the summer, I imagine he rocked the ride. :-)

Personally, I've got a Specialized RockHopper that I use for my daily commute. Was thinking about looking into a road bike of some kind, but I don't think I've hit the limits with it yet. It seems that every ride to work is the fastest ride so far. The Power Grips I got have made a huge difference. Almost as good as SPDs, without needing a specific pair of shoes.

I might search about for suggestions once I hit the limits of the bike, but right now, I am the weakest link. Keep getting better though. Hopefully this month I won't fall out of the habit a couple weeks in like I have for the last two months.

Switch to a road bike for summer. You'll notice the weight difference in speed, especially up hills. Make sure to get some clipless pedals and shoes tho. I use these with some inset cleats. I've had them for 5 years, no rips or tears. Been through plenty of rain, mud, snow, etc. I also use them when I take my 29'r out.

jordanread

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »

Switch to a road bike for summer. You'll notice the weight difference in speed, especially up hills. Make sure to get some clipless pedals and shoes tho. I use these with some inset cleats. I've had them for 5 years, no rips or tears. Been through plenty of rain, mud, snow, etc. I also use them when I take my 29'r out.

I've seen some of those shoes, and have heard good things about them. I will most likely stick with platforms and Power Grips for the foreseeable future. I will probably wait until next year to check out a road bike, but I'll definitely hit you up at that point for advice.