Author Topic: May Cycling Challege 2014  (Read 19311 times)

jordanread

May Cycling Challege 2014
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

Shor

• Bristles
Re: May Cycling Challege 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
Wah! The chart is filling me out for me! Must be some kinda high techno-babble doo-hickie!
Thanks Jordan >.>

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Wah! The chart is filling me out for me! Must be some kinda high techno-babble doo-hickie!
Thanks Jordan >.>

I created a base sheet as well for upcoming months. Now that Google Drive supports scripting, I may try setting it up to where there is just a button you press, enter your name, and it does everything else for you. I like what you did on your sheet, nice comparison.

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
How does this sheet work? Click the link, add name, add mileage, and close? I'm a newbie...

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
I found the instructions on the spreadsheet..oops

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:45 AM »
I found the instructions on the spreadsheet..oops
I see what you are trying to do there. I'm going to make some slight changes to the way it works, but you just keep filling out your Kilometers.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
I threw myself in. I rode in to work yesterday and today, maybe I can actually make it a month. I've never done that before and I need to get miles in for a century I'm doing in June. My commute is 8 miles each way in congested suburban traffic. I actually miss my much longer 18 miles each way commute that was mostly on trails. I had a lady today who was very confused about passing. She slowed down, looked at me timidly while giving me about 6 inches of space, then finally worked the courage to pass. There was no one behind her or on the side, 4 lane boulevard. idk why she didn't take the left lane, maybe she was texting and I just lucky I wasn't hit. Stuff like this makes me reconsider riding in, I've got kids now.

The shitty SUV mpg is about what my shitty Outback gets :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:01:50 PM by mindaugas »

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »
The shitty SUV mpg is about what my shitty Outback gets :(

That got inherited from whoever started this whole thing. The Jeep I just got rid of got 12mpg...downhill.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Okay, updated my miles from last month (wasn't that many) and I'm in for May. Will be my 40th birthday on Memorial Day this year.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Tracking my miles regularly now, so if I stick with that habit, I'll throw my numbers in at the end of the month :)

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »
Awesome! Thanks, Jordanread!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
Thank you Jordanread!

Nancy

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
Unforseen consequences of biking so much: being extra hungry all the time, so needing to buy extra food, and wearing holes in the seat of two pairs of jeans (!), patching as needed. Either of these happening to anyone else?

jordanread

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
Unforseen consequences of biking so much: being extra hungry all the time, so needing to buy extra food, and wearing holes in the seat of two pairs of jeans (!), patching as needed. Either of these happening to anyone else?

Haven't had the holes in the pants yet, but definitely notice the increased food intake. 1st day I did it, I had to run out for more food. Second day, my pack was heavier :-).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
Increased calorie burn means increased calorie intake :)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »

Unless you have stored extra calories...in which case you resist the increased calorie intake :-)  :-)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »

Unless you have stored extra calories...in which case you resist the increased calorie intake :-)  :-)

Yes, of course! But it takes your body a few weeks to learn how to efficiently transition into pure fat burning mode.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
I definitely eat more when biking a lot. Right now bike is in the shop, so throwing things out of whack--I want to keep stuffing my face but without biking it makes me feel icky/lazy/gluttonous instead of satiated.

I also notice I need to get more sleep when biking 20-30 miles/day.

I posted this in another thread with no bites, so gonna throw out again an ask for advice on a 2nd bike:
-----
Hi,

I ride a fair mount, ~300-500 miles/month for commuting/errands/day care pick up & drop off. This is fairly consistent in all seasons, with snow/salt/rain/sand/etc. in the mix. I don't really ride trails or tour or race or anything like that. I currently have a Trek 7.2 FX, purchased for ~$400 new a few years ago. It has a rack and everything as well as the WeeRide bar (can be moved without too much effort, but I don't want to be swapping it on a regular basis) that I use to transport DS.

I am looking for a second bike primarily so that I don't have to drive if something isn't working on my Trek (currently bike is in shop needing a new bottom bracket--I am doing more work on my own and want to continue to move in that direction but basically have nothing more than a multitool and a brush, and my LBS is awesome & very much want to support it). Secondary benefits would be something that could trade off seasonally--probably something I could keep cleaner and ride more when the roads are not full of salt/water/grime. Also if I wasn't biking with DS I could use the bike without the WeeRide bar and save a few pounds.

I'd like to get something relatively inexpensive that wouldn't cost too much to upkeep, but would be reliable and not too slow (10 mile commute one way). I don't care about shaving seconds or even a few minutes off my commute.

Price range is variable, but I'm thinking $200-400?

I am in the Twin Cities, looking at some of these postings:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/4432231556.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/4450763656.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/4453609292.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/bik/4456584028.html

Any advice is appreciated, thanks for reading and happy cycling!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
All of those have drop bars. Is that what you're looking for?

If so, I can't help much, but they all seem a bit overpriced.

If you don't car about drops, what about a second FX?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Thanks for looking. I've never had drop bars. I'm curious and would be happy to try, but it's not a priority.

If there was another FX posted in my size I'd be interested--then I'd be able to swap around parts more easily too.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
I just got a second bike to act as a backup bike/warm weather bike, and I went with a vintage steel road bike with drop bars. One thing that I would caution- the geometry of these old road bikes is more aggressive, and combining that with the drop bars, creates a bit of a learning curve, even if you are used to riding your hybrid. I find that the steering on my new bike is very sensitive, and I've wobbled a bit when doing shoulder checks, and starting and stopping. I am not confident enough yet in traffic to properly signal, and I basically am avoiding gear changes until I get more comfortable. I sort of wish that I had chosen a second bike with a more relaxed/upright geometry for riding in traffic, but I'm going to keep riding this bike for a few more weeks to see if I get used to the handling.

If I were doing it over again...which I might be, depending on how the next few weeks go, I would look for a vintage steel mountain bike (one without the suspension). You can set those up with smoother tires, and the geometry is similar to a hybrid. Plus they are usually pretty cheap.

Another option would be early 90s hybrids, like the Trek 750 that you linked to. Although, that one looked overpriced to me.

Looking in your area, here are options to consider:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/4423011288.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/4430608880.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/4431731918.html

Whatever you decide, make sure to try out shifting, braking, signaling, and shoulder checking on a test ride of the bike, so you can assess handling as well as fit & feel.

Of course, if you are planning to get into long road rides, feel free to completely ignore this :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:00:03 PM by marblejane »

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Thanks, my balance on the bike isn't that great either so appreciate hearing your experience. I will expand my search to include some of those you linked and similar bikes.

There was a Trek 7.3 FX going for $500, which was tempting but ultimately decided it was more than I wanted to spend.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Every market is different, but in Milwaukee and Madison I have seen FX 7500 (US made predecessor to the 7.5 FX) for $250-$300. Mine I got for $250. No major issues except a worn chain (which may have happened after I bought it, as Ididn't check that until just this week.)

Do you have a community bike shop where you can build a bike?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
Back on the road, with a new BB and new-to-me backup bike! I ended up picking the Specialized Hybrid that marblejane linked for $175, thanks! It'll need new pedals for sure and new tires to be more efficient. I will probably use this next winter too instead of my Trek FX.

There are bike co-ops in Minneapolis and I am remiss to say I've never been! Perhaps this will be my excuse now...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
Do I have to have my own sheet, or is it okay to just update the miles on the master summary?

jordanread

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Do I have to have my own sheet, or is it okay to just update the miles on the master summary?
Make your own sheet, and update it throughout. The MasterSummary is designed to update dynamically.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:37 AM »
Make your own sheet, and update it throughout. The MasterSummary is designed to update dynamically.

Okay, sorry about that. I added my sheet. I've been tracking a separate Excel for biking cost per mile, but I'll enter the miles here too :)

jordanread

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »

Okay, sorry about that. I added my sheet. I've been tracking a separate Excel for biking cost per mile, but I'll enter the miles here too :)

No biggie. You can still expand what you are tracking, maybe even link this sheet with yours. Take a look at Shor or etselec's sheets. They expanded it. The important thing is to link the main sheet with the total miles. If you have G+, you can hit me up on hangouts, and we can try to get it to link to your one sheet if you want. That way you don't have to duplicate work.

Left Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Anyone here use "Strava" to track their rides and runs?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »

I use RunKeeper's cycling mode. On my phone the GPS is accurate and doesn't suck the battery down too fast. I can easily get 6-8 hours of GPS unless it's below freezing. Cold really stressed the battery. I might grab a cheap cycling computer for the winter if it's going to be as cold as this past one.

@jordanread - I don't mind double entries, since this is broken into months instead of the long term tracking I just started. I put myself on the master sheet with the correct formula (I think)

jordanread

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
@jordanread - I don't mind double entries, since this is broken into months instead of the long term tracking I just started. I put myself on the master sheet with the correct formula (I think)

Yup, looks good.

I use My Tracks. I do like what Strava is doing for city planners, though, and the examples I've seen of their heat maps seem like they could be really useful.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
I was going to say that most people have trouble getting on the bike. So calculating a biking cost per mile doesn't make sense. By example, for my spreadsheet I'm figuring how much money I'm saving by biking in place of driving.

Then I realized that this is TheGoblinChief, who has some notable forum gauntlet insanities involving biking everywhere.
Evidence: Crazy Goblin Chief Bikes 365 days in a row... Every Week!

To work, to home, up stairs, to bed. Clearly, in such extreme cases of bikaholism, one could actually make the argument that there is a cost for every mile biked, because the idea of driving doesn't even show up on his radar, nor would he count the savings per mile not driven.
For beings like this, biking simply is.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
Back on the road, with a new BB and new-to-me backup bike! I ended up picking the Specialized Hybrid that marblejane linked for $175, thanks! It'll need new pedals for sure and new tires to be more efficient. I will probably use this next winter too instead of my Trek FX.

There are bike co-ops in Minneapolis and I am remiss to say I've never been! Perhaps this will be my excuse now...

Awesome! Yay for new bikes! Glad it worked out for you.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »

I use Endomondo... I've managed to avoid Strava for a while now. ;)

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
I do my personal record-keeping through Garmin Connect, but upload stuff to Strava for the e-penis factor.

Nancy

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »
Crazy shit went down this morning. I was waiting behind a cyclist at a red light. The woman in the car next to her was indicating that she wanted to take a right turn (the light was no turn on red). The light turned green and they both start to go forward. The woman in the car stops short when she sees the cyclist and pauses. Then the woman in the car guns it at the cyclist and stops short again, and then the woman in the car lets the car roll until it bumps the cyclist. The cyclist pedals past, and the woman in the car stops to shout her down. Now, I think the cyclist was positioned incorrectly (next to passenger door) and should have let the car go first based on positioning, but using your car to threaten people like that is batshit crazy.

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »
This will be a bit of a vent. I had my heart set on biking to work daily this month, and also biking more than I drive for the month, but was told I would be working in the field for the next 10 weeks, doing a few 12+ hr shifts per week . On these days it's safest for me to drive to the work site... It's a 10 km trip each way. Not that far, but for safety, gear transport, and the fact that if an emergency occurred it would be best to get away from the site quickly, I would rather take the car. Since I will still have some time at the office, I can commute on non-field days, and try and keep my bike mileage up on days off.

Sounds like everyone else is kicking butt and hopefully staying safe on the roads!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:37 AM »
Is anybody still keep track of the statistics like the weight of CO2 and the total distance cycled by challenge participants?

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »
Is anybody still keep track of the statistics like the weight of CO2 and the total distance cycled by challenge participants?

Yes, go into the spreadsheet into the spreadsheet.  At the bottom left of the sheet are the cumulative data auto-updated.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 06:13:24 AM »
Ah, cool. Who was it that used to translate the statistics into fun numbers like circumferences of the earth? Was that yolfer?

$17,000 is hella impressive. As is the over one ton of CO2.

Nancy

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Yup, it was Yolfer. I miss those. We should bring them back.

jordanread

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
Yup, it was Yolfer. I miss those. We should bring them back.

Does anyone know what month that was in? I've got a whole slew of improvements to the sheet for next months, and I can look at adding that stuff in as well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
He just did it as forum posts, nothing in the sheets. If you just go back a year or so to the first handful you'll see them.

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Hello all,
I'm going to join the challenge starting tomorrow!  I know its pretty late in the month, but hopefully it'll help get me back cycling again.   I used to cycle to work every day but have gotten lazy the last year or so and got out of the habit.  I figured waiting until the next challenge in June would be just putting it on the long finger really!  It is a very short cycle commute, only 3.5 miles each way so I really have no excuse.  Now, fingers crossed I wake up in time to cycle in the morning!

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
He just did it as forum posts, nothing in the sheets. If you just go back a year or so to the first handful you'll see them.
Is this what you are referring to:
Now some stats for March:

We had 39 participants (a record I think!) AND, we've logged a cumulative 24,000 miles! That's about enough to CIRCLE PLANET EARTH!!!! Repeat: we have orbited planet earth on bicycles. Mission Control, do you copy?
And we prevented 12 TONS of CO2 from polluting the environment.
Hello all,
I'm going to join the challenge starting tomorrow!  I know its pretty late in the month, but hopefully it'll help get me back cycling again.   I used to cycle to work every day but have gotten lazy the last year or so and got out of the habit.  I figured waiting until the next challenge in June would be just putting it on the long finger really!  It is a very short cycle commute, only 3.5 miles each way so I really have no excuse.  Now, fingers crossed I wake up in time to cycle in the morning!

Welcome!! And Enjoy!

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
I'm forcing myself to bike in every week day for work. I have a century I'm riding in June so I need the miles. I found a much safer route with less traffic as well so I don't have to deal with suburb rush hour traffic. MUCH more pleasant.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Well, we're a one car family now. Sold my other car further forcing myself to ride in. I'll get another car before winter, but not a car loan.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
Well, we're a one car family now. Sold my other car further forcing myself to ride in. I'll get another car before winter, but not a car loan.

Winter biking is not only easy, it's fun!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

Winter biking is not only easy, it's fun!
Absolutely!  It is magical.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!