Author Topic: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge  (Read 25061 times)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
Re: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
Found out yesterday that baby is apparently very comfy on the inside and not sure about vacating yet so my "weight loss" goal might need to be moved to April.

March 1 (37 weeks pregnant) = 217.4 lbs
March 8 (38 weeks pregnant) = 214.6 lbs
March 20 (almost 40 weeks pregnant) = 213.7 lbs

It does appear that my weight is decreasing, I think this is all due to healthier lunch options and fluids/water weight, mostly fluids/water weight.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:57 AM »
Oh my! Yeah, this far along, the biological tides are Bay-of-Fundy style :-)

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
Wednesday weekly averages:

February 28: 170.2 lbs, 37.9"
March 7:       169.2 lbs, 37.7"
March 14:     168.2 lbs, 37.5"
March 21:     167.4 lbs, 37.3"

It's going to be a close-run thing! I cut my ice cream ration in half this week. Desperate times.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
I've hit my calorie goal for the day already and it's not even 1 pm.  I'm hoping veggies and decaf tea will be enough to keep me going for the rest of the day.

Yikes! Did you pull this off? This is heroic!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »
Sadly, no. I didn't leave work until 10pm and I definitely had at least 1 more doughnut and a few pieces of candy before I went home. Then I skipped my walk home and took the bus and passed out as soon as I got home so I skipped my workout too.

Fortunately today is a snow day so I am doing much better! I should hit both my calorie and workout goals today!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
Fortunately today is a snow day so I am doing much better! I should hit both my calorie and workout goals today!

Excellent! All we can do is start fresh each new day, and that's all we need to :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
March 5th - 129.4
March 9th - 128.8
March 14th - 127.4
March 23rd - 128.0
End of March goal - 125.4
1.4/4 lbs

Went the wrong way this week but hoping this is bloating due to the time of month. I've been running 3 times a week and eating pretty well.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
Sadly, no. I didn't leave work until 10pm and I definitely had at least 1 more doughnut and a few pieces of candy before I went home. Then I skipped my walk home and took the bus and passed out as soon as I got home so I skipped my workout too.

I wouldn't have made it either! If I don't have an end-of-workday meal in sight, I go to pieces. Do your hours let up at some point? It sounds pretty punishing.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
March 5th - 129.4
March 9th - 128.8
March 14th - 127.4
March 23rd - 128.0
1.4/4 lbs

Went the wrong way this week but hoping this is bloating due to the time of month. I've been running 3 times a week and eating pretty well.

Yeah, that would be well within my day to day random variances (let alone cyclical ones & scale tolerances!) I bet you're on track.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
Hello everyone!  How y'all doing? 

We have one week left on this challenge and I hope everyone is making progress on achieving their goal.  My weight is exactly where I was on March 1st.  But I've decided to look at this as a data gathering exercise thanks to the conversations here about it.  I haven't really changed anything, no reduction in calories or increase in exercise.  I meant to, but other things have been keeping me occupied and I've just been too tired to take it on. 

Congrats to those of you who are making good progress!

And for those of us who are not - hang in there!  We'll continue doing our best and then start fresh in April. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
We'll continue doing our best and then start fresh in April.

I so adore this approach! Thanks a million for thinking this one up, jane x! So manageable, so doable. Starting fresh regularly rocks.

I'm also grateful for fresh start because my eating commitment ends right around end of March, and I've been wondering what I'll set out for April to stay on track. I did this month for other reasons, but the effects are so wonderful, I'd like to come up with some version for April. (Also my whole goal specific to this thread was just not to gorge on starches at my mom's house. She got sick so I didn't get to visit her in March after all, but hopefully next month so will still need the support.)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »
I'm just going to start today because I totally forgot yesterday was 3/1.....

145. The goal is below 140 by the end of this month. I feel like I lose the same 10-15 pounds over and over and over.

I am sipping my protein shake for breakfast and have a salad planned for lunch. My goal is 15 soups and 15 salads in March with protein shake/poached egg/oatmeal rotation for breakfasts.
I had some good days (fasted 36 hours) and some bad days. (I kind of think birthdays don't really count as cheating).  The scale read 143 today, so I'll take it!  The next two weeks have nothing exciting in them, so I'm hoping to be way down. (St. Pats has cabbage in it, so you can make that pretty low cal.)

3/15/18 141 - I am liking the accountability. I haven't been as good about the exercise piece, so I'm going to work on that for the rest of the month.

3/24/18 141.3 - Wrong direction. I blame Maggianos and their amazing pasta.  I will try to be better on this Spring Break vacation than I was in Hawaii.  I don't like the flabby belly I see in the mirror....

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »
I have had PMS and then the lady herself (aunt flow) for the entire last 2 weeks. I gain three lbs every month during this time so hoping to the end the month where I started. Here’s hoping for a better April.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
I'm at 171.6 today, down 1 lb for the week (down 2.4 for the month,*sigh*)  But I've been all over the place this week and I have no idea how accurate that is.  Is it a temporary bump from eating 2600+ calories Friday or a temporary low from eating 600 yesterday? I'm overthinking this!

Five lbs isn't going to happen at this point, but this week's goal is to be consistent and do my best for the last week of March!  Maybe with luck+ effort I'll be at 4 lbs for the month. If I can do that and the achieve a 5 lb loss in both April and May, I could be back to a normal BMI by June! 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
Five lbs isn't going to happen at this point...

I'm really glad you're noting this, rather than taking extreme measures to hit a prestated number. That's some good self-care :)

Your progress this month has rocked by any count!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
I predicted 5 lbs but so far lost 2.  I am hoping to close out the month with 3 lbs lost. I think I can get another lb lost by months end.  Losing weight is not easy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:06:55 AM by alleykat »

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2018, 05:43:29 AM »
Start (2/26): 175.5
3/5: 174
3/12: 173.2
3/19: 171.3
3/26: 170.7

Down 4.8 pounds total.  Goal was 6, though I'd be pretty happy with 5.6.  My motivation for the month has been focused on getting back into the 160s, which hasn't happened for years.  My next weigh in is on Monday, April 2 at which point I'll set my April goal.  Best of luck everyone on the last few days of March!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »
March 5th - 129.4
March 9th - 128.8
March 14th - 127.4
March 23rd - 128.0
March 26th - 127.0
2.4/4 lbs

Happy to see the scale this morning. Not sure if I'll hit the 4 lbs goal but hoping to get fairly close. I'm continuing to run about 3 times a week which is a big help.

I hope this challenge will be repeated for April. I like the shorter monthly challenges.

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
I started the month by tracking my calories for a week which was an eye opener. It is worth doing every once in a while to see what you are actually consuming.   So far I am down 6 pounds for the month.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »
So...I started the month at 121 and was hoping to get to 118 - which is my goal.  To be hones, I was really happy to be at 121 (down from the 133 I've been hovering around for years).  Tried low carb for the first time ever and it made all the difference.  Until yesterday, I had lost no weight this month - but I didn't really care because I was happy.  Weighed myself yesterday, and am down to 119.  Haven't changed anything!  I am 1 pound away from my goal!  I'm kind of shocked - I'm a 48 yr old woman near my HS weight!  Never thought this would happen.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
I spent the first part of the month going the wrong way.  Then the batteries in my scale went out.  Using the scale at work, I think I am about a pound down from when I started the month.  So, uh, I lost the 5 pound I gained at the beginning of the month.  Hmm, not quite where I worked to be.  A few days left and I should have new batteries today!

LV

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
I'm pretty much flat, maybe down 1/2 a pound. I've continued to increase my veggie intake, reduce my carb intake, & do really well at working out (24 workouts so far this month). So, I feel great about that. But, obviously my calories need some work given all that working out & no progress. I had a couple of really challenging weeks with work (full weeks with sitting in a chair for 10+ hours & then having catered food for 3 meals/day). I still think I can see a 1lb loss by the end of the month.

I know i'm doing all of the right things, but need to reduce my calories by probably 200/day to see real progress on the weight loss side. I can see/feel muscle toning, which is great.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
I started the month by tracking my calories for a week which was an eye opener. It is worth doing every once in a while to see what you are actually consuming.   So far I am down 6 pounds for the month.

I've read that the single most effective weight-loss intervention, across the board, and regardless of what else people do, is keeping a food journal / tracking calories. It's really hard to eat less if you don't know how much you're eating in the first place.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
I did lose another 1lb so that makes 3 total so far this month.  The month isn't over and I suspect I will lose another one by the end of it.  Am anxious to see where I will fall at the end of the month.  Normalizing what I eat has been a journey.  So, I consider this my trial month and would be super happy with 4 real lbs lost.

1/1/18 - 165
3/27/18 - 162

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »
I'm not super optimistic about my end-of-month weight. I'm actually UP a few pounds. I really need to learn to continue eating properly during work stress.

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

I've read that the single most effective weight-loss intervention, across the board, and regardless of what else people do, is keeping a food journal / tracking calories. It's really hard to eat less if you don't know how much you're eating in the first place.

I totally agree.  I don't have the patients to track my food intake all the time but it is worth doing periodically to get keep myself on track.  I have lost 20 pounds so far and I need to lose another 50 to 60 pounds. 

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
I'm not super optimistic about my end-of-month weight. I'm actually UP a few pounds. I really need to learn to continue eating properly during work stress.

This is killer for me. Especially because people like to bring a lot of junk food to share around here. When I'm really on top of things and know it's going to be a bad day at work, I try to bring a big container of carrots and celery and maybe some fresh fruit with me. I also got a box of protein bars and stuck it in my desk yesterday. I'm hoping that will help keep me out of the doughnuts on the unanticipated rough days.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
As of today I am down another bit -- so 3 1/2 so far.
I have had sugar about 7 of the last 14 days so not optimistic to get to the final goal of 4 lbs for the month but still seeing numbers on the scale that I would consider long lost friends :)

Now to get more sleep! I definitely have more cravings and give in more often and have more trouble stopping sugar consumption when I'm tired. And thirsty--although that should be easier to fix.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »

This is killer for me. Especially because people like to bring a lot of junk food to share around here. When I'm really on top of things and know it's going to be a bad day at work, I try to bring a big container of carrots and celery and maybe some fresh fruit with me. I also got a box of protein bars and stuck it in my desk yesterday. I'm hoping that will help keep me out of the doughnuts on the unanticipated rough days.

Totally agree. We've had performance reviews, a big external conference, and a team offsite where there were dinner events every night for a week. The last two weeks were really tough. I'm slowly getting my groove back, and have a "no treats at work" rule that i follow 95% of the time. We get free fruit & vegetables at work, so my main mantra is, if it's not fruit or vegetables, it's not a snack. I largely stick to that, but occasionally get drawn in to a bowl of cereal if my lunch was particularly unappealing.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »

March 28:     166.2 lbs, 36.9"

Made it! Down 4 lbs / 1.0" for March.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »

March 28:     166.2 lbs, 36.9"

Made it! Down 4 lbs / 1.0" for March.

Congratulations koshtra!!!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Totally agree. We've had performance reviews, a big external conference, and a team offsite where there were dinner events every night for a week. The last two weeks were really tough. I'm slowly getting my groove back, and have a "no treats at work" rule that i follow 95% of the time. We get free fruit & vegetables at work, so my main mantra is, if it's not fruit or vegetables, it's not a snack. I largely stick to that, but occasionally get drawn in to a bowl of cereal if my lunch was particularly unappealing.

God, I only work my desk job 4 hours per day or so, and even so I always bring a banana and little tupperware thingy of almonds (circa 20 of them -- I used to actually count! but now I can just eye them). If it ain't fat or protein, my body doesn't believe it's food: fruit & veggies don't move the "hungry" needle at all. And hungry + stressed + junk opportunity = caving, for me. Every time. Humiliating but true.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
Start (2/26): 175.5
3/5: 174
3/12: 173.2
3/19: 171.3
3/26: 170.7

Down 4.8 pounds total.  Goal was 6, though I'd be pretty happy with 5.6.  My motivation for the month has been focused on getting back into the 160s, which hasn't happened for years.  My next weigh in is on Monday, April 2 at which point I'll set my April goal.  Best of luck everyone on the last few days of March!

Wow! We really are right at about the same point! You'll have me beat in March, but I think I'm starting to hit my groove now! Race you to 160 @tightwaddy ? Ideally I'll hit that by the end of May but June is probably more realistic.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
Wow! We really are right at about the same point! You'll have me beat in March, but I think I'm starting to hit my groove now! Race you to 160 @tightwaddy ? Ideally I'll hit that by the end of May but June is probably more realistic.

This came at a perfect time--have had two days of junky eating and logged on here for some motivation to get out of the slump so a friendly race or losing buddy may be just the thing.  I'm guessing I can probably hit about a pound a week on average so June's probably realistic for me too, but let's shoot for May 31 just to be bold :) 

I guess that makes hitting 165 my goal for April!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »
So, 4 lbs lost as of today.  My goal was 5 for March. 

1/1/18 - 165
3/29.   - 161

I haven’t seen 161 in a long time.  I am encouraged.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
I haven’t seen 161 in a long time.  I am encouraged.

:))))

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »

This came at a perfect time--have had two days of junky eating and logged on here for some motivation to get out of the slump so a friendly race or losing buddy may be just the thing.  I'm guessing I can probably hit about a pound a week on average so June's probably realistic for me too, but let's shoot for May 31 just to be bold :) 

I guess that makes hitting 165 my goal for April!

I had a bad junk food day today too.  The race is on! lol

And in other news, MyFitnessPal got hacked....

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2018, 03:37:10 AM »
dropped only 3 lbs this month, way too many distractions, meetings, and obligations that really worked against me this month!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
dropped only 3 lbs this month, way too many distractions, meetings, and obligations that really worked against me this month!!

Dropping 3 is really great in any case, comicguy! Well done!

cripes7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2018, 08:19:58 PM »
Down 3.5 this month. I cheated, a lot. I'm going to join April, it did help me exercise having the challenge, so hoping April will be a great month.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
Our last day in March!

It's gone by fast and I've enjoyed having this thread to keep me from becoming despondent when the scale REFUSED to budge all month long!  :)  I'm looking forward to starting a fresh new challenge tomorrow.  Also looking forward to seeing how everyone did.  I hope some of you were more successful than me. 

I'll be updating everyone's achievements as you report them in and then posting a group % of goal achieved. 

I'll also be adding inches to the April challenge.  So if you want to set a goal in inches as well, let me know when you sign up.

Cheers to everyone for completing the challenge!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
@Slow&Steady - how's the baby doing?  We haven't heard from you in a while.  I hope you and baby are both well.

skibum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
Hi! I would love to join the April challenge when there's a thread going. Weight has definitely gone the wrong way in the last few months.
Looking at 5 lbs, and 3 inches.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
Our last day in March!

It's gone by fast and I've enjoyed having this thread to keep me from becoming despondent when the scale REFUSED to budge all month long!  :)  I'm looking forward to starting a fresh new challenge tomorrow.  Also looking forward to seeing how everyone did.  I hope some of you were more successful than me. 

I'll be updating everyone's achievements as you report them in and then posting a group % of goal achieved. 

I'll also be adding inches to the April challenge.  So if you want to set a goal in inches as well, let me know when you sign up.

Cheers to everyone for completing the challenge!

Thanks so much for starting this, @jane x!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Did @SlowAndSteady have her baby yet?
I lost 2 lbs during March, which is probably more realistic than my original goal of 5 lbs. I will try to lose 1-2 more pounds in April, or at least maintain. I am hoping for some warm weather.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »
My official weigh-in this morning is 169.5!  I'm not sure how that happened as I didn't do anything incredible over the last few days.  That puts me at 4.5 lbs/ 5 lb goal.

I'm expecting to see a bit of a bounce back up over the next couple of days but I'm super excited to be under 170!  My April goal will be another 5 lbs.  Anything under 160 puts me in the healthy BMI range. I'd love to hit that by summer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:36:33 AM by neophyte »

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
Yay, @neophyte! Ooh, and graphs!

I steer by my weekly averages, so I'll stand pat with a 1.0" loss for March.

My April goal will be -0.6"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:04:42 PM by koshtra »

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »
Final March weigh in 182 lbs. Better in April I hope!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
I lost 1 of my desired 4 lbs in March. I am continuing to notice changes in my strength & toning, and am able to wear a couple of pair of jeans that were previously too tight. So, good things are happening & I'll take that. I know I need to continued to drive my calories/day down by about another 100 calories. And, bump up my running.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
...continuing to notice changes in my strength & toning, and am able to wear a couple of pair of jeans that were previously too tight. So, good things are happening & I'll take that.

Nice :)

And yeah, sweet graphs, neophyte! (I think I would enjoy it being graphed, maybe I'll do that.)