Author Topic: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge  (Read 25051 times)

cats

• Handlebar Stache
Re: March ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
I agree, make a guess and just be consistent about the guess you are using.  I think for homemade food a big key is to be consistent about measuring out a portion.  If you aren't currently losing weight, start using measuring cups or scales to measure out what you are eating.  Once you figure out what your typical daily intake looks like, start cutting down the portion sizes a bit. e.g. if you usually eat 3 eggs for breakfast, see how you feel with 2.  If your usual handful of nuts works out to 1/2 c., try limiting yourself to 1/4 c.  If that frozen container of food you are pulling out of the freezer usually makes 4 portions, see if you can make it 6 and add more veggies to make up the volume on your plate.  If your normal fruit is a banana try an apple or an orange instead. Etc.

If you are like me you probably repeat a lot of recipes or a lot of your recipes are fairly interchangeable in terms of calories/macronutrient content.  If that's the case after a while you will have most of your usual meals inputted to MFP and you'll just have to select from your common meals.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
I have been doing this for a year and a half and haven't lost any weight in over a year.

Since I already eat a lots of veggies, some fruit, pastured/grass fed meat and dairy and our own backyard eggs I must be eating more calories than I burn so I need to get my portion control dialed in.

From my experience I found that if my calorie consumption got to LOW I would stop loosing weight.  Something about your body storing calories to prepare for upcoming famine.  I don't know if this is completely true (especially for over a year) but I did start shedding more weight when I bumped my calorie intake up 100-200 calories a day. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2018, 09:55:45 AM »
It's time everyone!  Are you guys ready?

I've been thinking of this challenge as a sort of relay effort - we're not competing against each other (unless you enjoy that sort of thing, in which case, go ahead!) but rather participating in a joint effort to accomplish a goal.  Though we each have individual portions of that goal, and we want to do our best to achieve it, we can also harness the benefits of doing the whole as a group. 

I hope this thread will serve as a place for ideas, support and encouragement for everyone.

Ok, GO!!!!!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
Ready!  I did my "official" March 1 weigh-in in this morning: 149.8 lbs.  So my target for 3/31 is 146.8 or less.

My plan is to track all food in MFP, and stay under 100g carbs M-F and in the 1500-1800 cals/day range.  On the weekends I'm planning to not worry so much about carbs and eat at a more "maintenance" level of calories (2000-2200). 

For exercise, I do some kind of home workout with free weights or bodyweight 4-5 mornings a week, and walk a lot.  This month I am also going to challenge myself to use the stairs at my office (10 flights) at least 2x/day on the days I am in the office (3-4x/week).  I'm hoping this will help me to feel less lethargic at the office and thus less prone to snacking. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
For Reasons, March would be a good time to visit my mom, who eats only starch all day long and puts endless lovely ones out on offer too. On several counts, it is simplest to just "go with it." However, I am in a Lenten focus which (as it happens) eliminates everything she eats. My first idea was to just not go in March! Thanks to this thread, this morning it occurred to me that I could go and stick with my Lenten focus. It would involve some extra strategies, but why not? Why not go, eat optimally while there, and return at the same size I arrived in?

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
I'm weighing in at 174, so that will but my goal at 169. Here goes...

Good luck everyone!

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
Is it too late to join? I was 140.8 this morning. I'd like to get to 135 by the end of the month.

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
I have learned in the past that the only way I lose weight is to do a food diary. I do count calories, but just as important is the simple act of writing down everything I eat. I have totally managed to NOT eat things just because I didn't want to write it down. I've used Lose It in the past, but am trying My Fitness Pal this time. I like that Map My Walk interfaces with it, and I can earn extra calories by logging a walk.

March 1 start...159.6. 
Goal...155.6

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »

I hope this thread will serve as a place for ideas, support and encouragement for everyone.

Ok, GO!!!!!

Thank you jane x!   I weighed in on 3/1 at 166.4, my goal is 161.4 by 3/31.  Good luck to all!

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 06:14:30 AM »
I weigh in on Mondays, so please forgive the slight head start:

2/26: 175.5
Goal for 3/31: 169.5

Yesterday was a great start. Calories were around a 700 deficit, which is pretty much on target for a 6 pound loss.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2018, 06:15:51 AM »
March 1 - 138 lbs.
Goal for March 134 lbs.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
I am in for 5 lbs. 

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
March 1 (37 weeks pregnant) = 217.4 lbs

Goal was a healthy baby that also knocked off 15-30lbs (preferably 30lbs).  I found out yesterday that she is currently breech, I have a week so see if I can get her to flip before they start talking about a c-section.  I guess the healthy baby part of the goal just got a lot more important. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2018, 07:33:13 AM »
3/1 4.6 lbs from goal. I plan to post a weigh in every week.
I need some mustachian opinions here:
I am thinking of joining the YMCA because workout childcare is included with the membership, and I enjoy group fitness classes . It costs $58 per month, and I would be able to go 3x/week with my current work schedule, and bring my 2 kids. My older child is almost 3 and has never really been around other kids, so I think it would be good for him as well. I am a bit nervous about exposing my new baby to illness though. I can afford it but it would reduce my savings rate. The alternative would be to continue my home workouts, which involve waking up really early or asking DH to watch the kids, and often get interrupted or postponed.

@ Slow&Steady good luck. My first was breech due to low fluid and I ended up with a c-section 3 weeks early, but he has been a healthy kid ever since. I was able to have a vbac with my second. Have you checked out the spinning babies website?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:39:05 AM by MrsWolfeRN »

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
I'm just going to start today because I totally forgot yesterday was 3/1.....

145. The goal is below 140 by the end of this month. I feel like I lose the same 10-15 pounds over and over and over.

I am sipping my protein shake for breakfast and have a salad planned for lunch. My goal is 15 soups and 15 salads in March with protein shake/poached egg/oatmeal rotation for breakfasts.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
I am thinking of joining the YMCA because workout childcare is included with the membership, and I enjoy group fitness classes . It costs $58 per month, and I would be able to go 3x/week with my current work schedule, and bring my 2 kids. My older child is almost 3 and has never really been around other kids, so I think it would be good for him as well. I am a bit nervous about exposing my new baby to illness though. I can afford it but it would reduce my savings rate. The alternative would be to continue my home workouts, which involve waking up really early or asking DH to watch the kids, and often get interrupted or postponed.

Monetarily, that sounds like a great deal! I too would be concerned about the baby -not that Baby can't handle it (unless premature or something, s/he can), but about how much time you might end up dealing with symptoms vs getting to work out. Could you take older kid, and go when dad can care for Baby?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »

Monetarily, that sounds like a great deal! I too would be concerned about the baby -not that Baby can't handle it (unless premature or something, s/he can), but about how much time you might end up dealing with symptoms vs getting to work out. Could you take older kid, and go when dad can care for Baby?

Thanks for your reply Jooni,
If I am just taking oldest kid, there is actually a cheaper gym I can go to that charges per child (would be $39/month for me and one child, if I go at least 10x/month, or $49 if I go less than that), but has very limited infant care hours that conflict with my work. I don't think my DH would be willing to do it 3days/week though, because he is with the kids all day when I work and he needs a break too. As far as illness, baby will probably catch whatever oldest brings home anyway.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
For Reasons, March would be a good time to visit my mom, who eats only starch all day long and puts endless lovely ones out on offer too. On several counts, it is simplest to just "go with it." However, I am in a Lenten focus which (as it happens) eliminates everything she eats. My first idea was to just not go in March! Thanks to this thread, this morning it occurred to me that I could go and stick with my Lenten focus. It would involve some extra strategies, but why not? Why not go, eat optimally while there, and return at the same size I arrived in?

Good call! Unless your mother is only prone to starch pushing in March, but that seems unlikely...

How old is your baby?  My experience with FT daycare (so not really the same thing) was that as soon as we put my kid in (around 6 months, also at the beginning of cold & flu season) he caught a cold, and passed it onto me.  I then proceeded to get some kind of gnarly and extended cold from him about once a month for the next 5 months, including my first ever sinus infection requiring antibiotics to treat.  His second winter in daycare (this year) he has been much less sick but has also passed less onto me, and I have recovered from illnesses much faster.  I think I was more susceptible to his illnesses in the first year because I was not sleeping properly (he was still waking at night to nurse), and because breastfeeding is a huge drain on your body.  I was also dealing with my sleep deprivation by eating quite poorly, so that was less than awesome.  In retrospect, if I had had the option, I probably would have tried to keep my kid away from too much germ exposure until he was sleeping through the night and *I* was less susceptible to getting ill (and better able to take care of myself if I did catch something).  So if your baby is still waking up at night, I would say to wait another couple of months!  Maybe try in April or May when cold & flu season will be well and truly over and there will be less floating around for baby to catch.

Also, what kind/length of home workouts are you trying to do now?  If you are aiming for something like an uninterrupted 30-min workout, perhaps try some shorter workouts (there are lots of options out there for HIIT workouts that are <10 min), or incorporating more activity into the rest of your day with things like doing 10 squats every time you go to the bathroom, etc.  I have been increasingly finding that while exercise does great stuff for my mental health and it's important to build strength, etc., it really does very little for weight loss...for that end of things I need to focus more on getting enough sleep (because I tend to eat junk food more when I'm tired), and eating properly.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
...baby will probably catch whatever oldest brings home anyway.

They (we) seem to have less and less response to common viruses as we grow, though. i.e., Three year old may "bring home" far less than baby would pick up at the site directly.

cats' words on the topic resonated strongly for me. Personally, I would stick with the nondaycare-dependent workouts for the first good while. I think it's great for babies to be exposed to stuff, but a daycare gym 3x/wk can be overload.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »
@ Slow&Steady good luck. My first was breech due to low fluid and I ended up with a c-section 3 weeks early, but he has been a healthy kid ever since. I was able to have a vbac with my second. Have you checked out the spinning babies website?

Thank you, my 1st was not breech but did have low fluid so a whole new world of Google was introduced to me last night when I got home from the doctor.  I did find the spinning babies website but have not tried any of their exercises/stretches yet.  I just got back to work (shh don't tell them I am on MMM) from a chiropractic visit, what I read last night the Webster Technique (chiro) has been pretty effective at turning babies.  We will see, I have 2 more chiro visits next week before I will have to maybe start talking about a c-section. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »

Thank you, my 1st was not breech but did have low fluid so a whole new world of Google was introduced to me last night when I got home from the doctor.  I did find the spinning babies website but have not tried any of their exercises/stretches yet.  I just got back to work (shh don't tell them I am on MMM) from a chiropractic visit, what I read last night the Webster Technique (chiro) has been pretty effective at turning babies.  We will see, I have 2 more chiro visits next week before I will have to maybe start talking about a c-section.

I never tried the chiro but my doctor did attempt a version which didn't work, probably because there wasn't enough fluid in there. I did try handstands in the pool :) Some doctors will attempt a breech vaginal delivery as long as it isn't your first one.

@ every one else, thank you for the advice, I might wait a month or two to try the gym thing, and then it will be warm enough to take the kids on walks anyway. My baby is 4 months old and still waking up at least once per night.  As far as sleep goes I thought the gym would help because I could sleep a little later in the morning and not miss my only chance for a good workout that day. I agree about food being the key to weight loss but I think an uninterrupted workout and a shower would be great for my mental health.

It would also be a good way to get the toddler used to being away from a parent/ with other kids before he goes to preschool (work schedule is too irregular for Mommy and me type classes, I work 3 12s, but a different 3 days every week, and.my DH refuses to go to that sort of thing).

My home workouts have been:
Running on my treadmill if I get up before everyone else (tricky with breastfeeding, I have to feed baby first, get him back to sleep, then get my workout in before the 2 year old wakes up), or I can do if baby naps and DH takes the 2 year old out shopping or something. Once baby can sit up I can run outside with both in the stroller.
 yoga videos: can do with baby while 2 year old is napping or out with dad
Dumbbells/kettle bells: can do 10 min before leaving for work, or if I get both kids to nap.
Squats/ ab exercises can do a little at a time throughout the day
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:51:18 AM by MrsWolfeRN »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
I'm still here.  I was traveling for work and got back last night.  My weight was up this AM (really not surprising) but it should start dropping nicely once I'm not sitting for 10 hours a day and eating what ever I can find.

Today is grocery list and meal planning day.  Fun!

Edit to add, I use sparkpeople.com to do my food and activity tracking (and find information and buddies) and sparkrecipes.com to track homemade foods that I split into portions.  It really helps me see what is going on. 

I am also joining a gym challenge at work, can't let the team down!  Relatedly, I am training for a work 5k.  Can't let my work buddies down :).

LV
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:24:59 PM by Loren Ver »

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »
How's everyone doing? 

This is that TOM for me so I'm not weighing in, but I'm pretty happy that I feel good and my sugar cravings are low enough to be manageable.  I'll probably do weekly weigh-ins.  For a while I was doing it daily and it drove me nuts. 

I'm using Cronometer for tracking (though I've scaled back on that too) and I like it.  It tracks net carbs in the free version (for those who watch carbs), and you can preset an eating plan to help you set up your goals. 

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
I was down 0.8 lb as of this morning's weigh in. 4.2 to go

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Stressful weekend, too much food and beer. I did attend my group workout, however that wasn't enough to undo all the damage.

Not looking at the scales

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
I'm down 1lb. So far so good. No sugar..

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
I know that for weight loss, diet is more important than exercise. However, I have been making a real effort to get out and walk more regularly this year and I think it helps keep me goal motivated. I have a very sedentary job, so getting out for a quick walk (with a podcast!) makes a good break.

Mondays are a good day to weigh in for me. I try not to look more than once a week.

March 1...159.6.
March 5...158.2

Goal of 4 pounds for March
1.4 pounds down 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
For the first time in quite a few years, I live in a place with stairs. I didn't feel the hours of dance the other night, but my legs ached like the dickens after doing the new stairs however many times! Probably helpful for my goal :)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
Stressful weekend, too much food and beer. I did attend my group workout, however that wasn't enough to undo all the damage.

Not looking at the scales

SAME! This week I am following a trainer's advice to get 100 grams of protein.  She also said 1800 calories, but I'm sticking with 1600, which is still more than I usually try to eat when I am "dieting." I've mapped out my week, and as long as I stick to the plan, I will know if this way works, at least if it will show results within 7 days.

I really want it to work, though, because next Tuesday is a happy hour with some former co-workers, and I'd like to look a little better than I do right now.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
I'm In. My goal is 5 pounds.  From 188 to 183.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
Have had a cold or sinus thing for last 6 days which has eliminated booze and any food outside the home so doing pretty well from a food perspective less so from a life one. On the mend now and in California for a week which always means lots of wine and food. Goal is to exercise daily and focus on portions will also go to the Japanese baths which helps detox and lose bloating and water weight. I’ll probaly end up weight wise where I started but we shall see.

tightwaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2018, 05:10:24 AM »
Start (2/26): 175.5
3/5: 174

Down 1.5 pounds, which is pretty much exactly on target for a 6-pound total loss. Doing exceptionally well on the tracking (not entirely the eating, but writing it all down).  I have been focusing on getting in 5,000 steps every day, per FitBit, but I also need to add in some more intentional exercise--not just running in circles and up and down the stairs every evening to break 5,000 after a day at the sedentary office.

I only weigh myself once a week because I've found I can fluctuate wildly over the course of a week.  I could make myself nuts, so I'm pretty disciplined about the Monday morning ritual.

Hope everyone is doing well!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »
March 1 - 137.8
March 8 - 136.6

Down a pound but my weight fluctuates ~2 pounds a day so we'll see...

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »
I just weighted myself on Monday since my scale needed new batteries and I finally got around to picking some up. It's the first time I weighted myself in a long time and the number was higher than expected. Though I should have know what with all the snaking and no exercising! Anyway, I've been working out and trying to eat less snacks for the past couple days. I hope to get back to running this week too. I'll weight myself again this weekend after I've had a few days to get this "diet" under way.

March 5th - 129.4
End of March goal - 125.4
0/4 lbs

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
Well folks - one week down, three to go! How's everyone doing on their first week?

I weighed in this morning expecting a gain of a couple of lbs (that time of month), but I wanted to log it just for tracking purposes so I can establish a pattern on my tracking app.  And lo and behold, I'm down 1 lb!!!  Woo-hoo!!! 

Since my goal is 4 lbs for the month, this puts me right on schedule. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
Well folks - one week down, three to go! How's everyone doing on their first week?

Great!! I can see the shrinkage :)   Body feels increasingly comfortable.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
Ready!  I did my "official" March 1 weigh-in in this morning: 149.8 lbs.  So my target for 3/31 is 146.8 or less.

3/8: 150.6  Not good!

I know I am getting into my more bloaty part of the month (which seems in the past year or so to have extended out from a week to 10-14 days), so I am trying to to get too hung up on it.  I have been diligently tracking food and exercising and I know I am at an energy deficit, so hopefully I will see a big drop soon in a week or so.  I am feeling pretty good overall.

I also did my monthly body composition scan with my "wellness coach" (a free perk my office started providing last year).  I'm not sure how accurate these things are (my husband says if you aren't getting thrown in a tank of water it's all nonsense, heh) but it did show that I have lost 3 lbs of fat (and gained 1 lb of muscle) since the beginning of February, which makes me feel somewhat more cheerful about my slow progress on weight loss.  I do think my clothes are feeling looser than they were at the beginning of February.  But dammit I do want the scale to go down a little!!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
...I have lost 3 lbs of fat (and gained 1 lb of muscle) since the beginning of February

Fantastic!!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 08:11:06 AM »

Goal was a healthy baby that also knocked off 15-30lbs (preferably 30lbs).  I found out yesterday that she is currently breech, I have a week so see if I can get her to flip before they start talking about a c-section.  I guess the healthy baby part of the goal just got a lot more important.

BABY FLIPPED!!

I had my doctor's appointment yesterday, the only place I currently weigh in (guess I need to get batteries for my scale for after baby gets here) and we discovered that I am down about 3 lbs.  I think this is mostly due to shoes, when I first got pregnant I had to wear steel toed shoes everyday so I always took them off but the last couple of appointment I did not have those shoes on so I left them on for weigh in.  While yesterday I took my shoes off again and either I actually dropped a few lbs or my shoes weigh 3 lbs.  I know my weight is really just for fun on this thread but since you guys didn't kick me out I figure I better participate!

March 8 (38 weeks pregnant) = 214.6 lbs

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »

BABY FLIPPED!!

YAY!  Congrats on the good news!

Sadly, I'm back up to 174.2 this morning.  :(  :(  :(
I think it's probably temporary because I think I've been pretty good about logging food, sticking to 1400-1500 calories, and working out, but it's discouraging as hell.  I know I really need to eat 1200 to reliably lose weight, but it's damn hard to stick to that. Especially to do it and socialize.  My friend and I almost got kicked out of a restaurant last night because I didn't order an entree.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
Checking in. I'm down 0.6 lbs since Monday. I've been working out every day since Monday and feeling really good about that. I've got 3.4 lbs left to go. So a little over a 1lb a week. :)

March 5th - 129.4
March 9th - 128.8
End of March goal - 125.4
0.6/4 lbs

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
I'm just going to start today because I totally forgot yesterday was 3/1.....

145. The goal is below 140 by the end of this month. I feel like I lose the same 10-15 pounds over and over and over.

I am sipping my protein shake for breakfast and have a salad planned for lunch. My goal is 15 soups and 15 salads in March with protein shake/poached egg/oatmeal rotation for breakfasts.
I had some good days (fasted 36 hours) and some bad days. (I kind of think birthdays don't really count as cheating).  The scale read 143 today, so I'll take it!  The next two weeks have nothing exciting in them, so I'm hoping to be way down. (St. Pats has cabbage in it, so you can make that pretty low cal.)

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2018, 04:30:43 AM »
I weighed in on 3/1 at 166.4, my goal is 161.4 by 3/31.  Good luck to all!

Not doing well. I was initially down to 166, but I'm into the bloaty time too, so hanging on to every less ounce. I'm hoping for a big drop by the end of the month.  Congrats to all the "losers!"

3/1: 166.4
3/8: 166.4

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Hi all, I haven't lost any weight so far but have managed to maintain in spite of a supremely shitty week.  Baby has started the dreaded 4 month sleep regression right when I have taken on extra responsibilities at work and I can't even think straight. He wakes up more now than he did as a newborn. Wishing I lived in just about any other developed country right now so I could still be on maternity leave.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
Bah. I'm also back up to 174 so no change here :(

I'm hoping some of that is bloating and water weight and I'll be down a lot next week, but that seems like it's usually wishful thinking for me.  I followed my workout schedule religiously and stuck to 1400-1500 calories all week until Friday night.  I was at work, it was 8 pm, I'd met my calorie goals but I was hungry, I was PMSing and depressed about seeing an increase on the scale, and I was surrounded by chocolate cake, doughtnuts, and bagels. Bad things happened. Yesterday I was up 1.6 lbs from the beginning of the month. Fortunately it didn't stick.

I want to start tracking my calories here and seeing if that does a better job of keeping me from going off the deep end.

Saturday 3/10:  1203 kcal.  Workout done.
Sunday 3/11: Weigh in: 174 lbs. (Delta = 0) 1236 kcal. Workout done.
Monday 3/12: 1326 kcal. Rest day.
Tuesday 3/13: 1626 kcal. Estimating involved. Workout done.
Wednesday 3/14: 1371 kcal. Workout skipped.
Thursday 3/15: 1614 kcal.  Rest day.
Friday 3/16: 1772 kcal. Estimating involved. Leg day
Saturday 3/17: 1323 kcal. Arm day.

Known challanges this week:
Monday - baby shower:  plan: take fruit and veggie platters, only snack from those. No dips.
Monday - drinks after work with a friend. Plan: one beer. I got coupons for free salads from a new salads and healthy stuff restaurant so we agreed to go there for dinner afterwards instead of eating greasy bar food.
Friday: Dinner with friends.  We'll be celebrating the engagement of one and the med school acceptance of the other. Engaged girl announced "we'll have to drink a lot!" Plan: cheat night? Feign a sinus infection and being on meds that prohibit drinking? <- Probably a good idea since I don't like her fiance and med school friend and I both wonder if this engagement is a good thing for her. Wouldn't want to say anything ill-advised.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:24:32 AM by neophyte »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
Wishing I lived in just about any other developed country right now so I could still be on maternity leave.

If it's any comfort, I'm in Canada and got not a single day. Sorry this perfect storm has hit for you :(

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
I'm feeling really grateful for past experience. Now I know the following mean nothing in relation to health or weight:
*what size I feel like in my body
*what displays on the scale
*what my eyes see in the mirror

Now over the course of a month I can just float along, eating optimally, moving normally, and knowing that somedays I will feel blobbier, some days I will appear unchanged or puffier than the previous, some days the scale will say a bigger number than it did recently.

My biggest turnaround with this came with a short stint in Overeaters Anonymous. When I ate optimally and moved naturally, and was getting healthier and healthier, I bumped into those. I was blown away to discover that I can be getting healthier *and* feel blobbier on some days or look "the same as I started". In fact, I was leaner and more compact; my perceptive brain was doing tricks! Or the scale would go up instead of down, but I learned that was completely meaningless, too.

I'm down several pounds since I started my Lenten focus, but I put little weight (haha) in that, too. What's relevant is that my clothes are easier to be in, my size is again the one most comfortable to move in, my period is easy, my sleep is lovely, I feel calmer, my skin is brighter. Those are the signs I'm living well.

Ignoring the three tricks is key for me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:34:52 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »
Wishing I lived in just about any other developed country right now so I could still be on maternity leave.

If it's any comfort, I'm in Canada and got not a single day. Sorry this perfect storm has hit for you :(

Ouch, I apologize, for some reason I thought Canadian ladies got a year. I'm having the worst brain farts this week. I got in an extra workout one day because I got to work and realized I had left my pump parts at home, and I park half a mile from work.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
I weighed in this morning for research purposes (I'm tracking my changes in weight during my menstrual cycle) and the scale showed a 3+ lb gain this morning from Thur's weight.  It's strange because my period is pretty much done so I didn't expect to see a gain now.  I did overeat last night so it might be from that! :)  But it's easier to blame my period.  :) 

This is why I like the monthly goal though - there are so many fluctuations on the scale, especially for us ladies.  Even my dh saw a jump on the scale when he started eating sunflower seeds because of the salt. 

As of right now, I'm exactly 2 lbs heavier than I was on Feb 1st!  But I'm not going to let that make me feel bad.  I'm just going to continue eating well.  I trust that my body will be in better shape at the end of the month.   

Don't lose faith everyone!  And feel free to vent on here when you're feeling discouraged, disappointed or angry.  It's better to vent and let those feeling go than to keep them bottled up. 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
Late to the party (for March), but can I still play? -- although my goal is in waist size, not pounds. For March, which I started at 37.9", my goal is 37.1".

(Yes, those are ridiculously precise numbers. I'm a geek. But this is MMM and that's okay, right?)

(I've been at this weight loss thing since May, and my pounds are down around where I want them. But I do want to shrink the rest of this belly. My ultimate goal is 33.75". At that point I get to declare victory, regardless of weight.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!