Author Topic: March Running Challenge!  (Read 6679 times)

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
March Running Challenge!
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
In our first month, we had 12 people and ran a total of 502 miles!  Let's put some feet on the ground for March!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6-rHd-GwjGdGt0cG55VjlYSXVWVmpzWVdLbURPbEE&usp=sharing

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
Re: March Running Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »
I'm in for real this month. Starting a 1/2 marathon training program next week!

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Not seeing any blank tabs on the sheet...can I be added?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Not seeing any blank tabs on the sheet...can I be added?

I added you and put up a blank tab so this won't happen in the future.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
I added you and put up a blank tab so this won't happen in the future.
Thanks! (On both sheets!)

kt

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
i'm doing a 10k for charity in september. never done any running before so going to start off very slowly but i'll be adding a few miles to the total hopefully!

Kamikaze Emu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »
I am going to have to get in on this!

ECrew28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
Im back in for this month.  Due to a flooded basement (demo and remodel) and the hospital stay for the baby, my run streak got broken.  But I am back at it for sure.  Count me in!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
i'm doing a 10k for charity in september. never done any running before so going to start off very slowly but i'll be adding a few miles to the total hopefully!

I used this 10k program last summer and it went really well. I had some prior running experience but I'd just come off a knee injury so I was pretty much back to square one.

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-10k/17?menuSelection=SCHEDULE

You don't have to pay to see the training schedule.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
Should I make a new spreadsheet for April? I do the bike challenge so I can do the running one too.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »
Should I make a new spreadsheet for April? I do the bike challenge so I can do the running one too.

Sounds good to me. I'll participate.

Kamikaze Emu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
I am down for April as well.  March was a good time, and I ran the most in a month as I ever have since starting running last September. 

April will be another great month!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Ok, here's the new spreadsheet for April:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edExCc3VTazZ4TWFjZnNwY0xUVjFnY0E&usp=sharing

No foolin! Let me know if the spreadsheet gives you any troubles.

Also, what if this challenge was run/walk so we could include all the folks doing the Anti-Automobile April?

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I would love to join for April! I have been running 5 days a week for the last two months, but then I just went back to work from maternity leave this Monday and I want to stay committed and need some extra accountability.

Kamikaze Emu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »
Ok, here's the new spreadsheet for April:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edExCc3VTazZ4TWFjZnNwY0xUVjFnY0E&usp=sharing

No foolin! Let me know if the spreadsheet gives you any troubles.

Also, what if this challenge was run/walk so we could include all the folks doing the Anti-Automobile April?

I think making it run/walk is a great idea.  The more people on board the better, and it might motivate some walkers to become runners in the long run.  At the very least it might provide motivation for people to spend more time getting healthy and engaging in alternate means of transportation. 

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
I am in! I just got a fitbit so I should have a pretty accurate idea of how far I'm going--no excuses. My goal is 5 miles per day but I probably won't make quite that much.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
I am in! I just got a fitbit so I should have a pretty accurate idea of how far I'm going--no excuses. My goal is 5 miles per day but I probably won't make quite that much.

hey there, just wanted to say that it might not make sense to count on fitbit to track your bike rides. although my bike commute is 6.3 miles, fitbit tracks it as 2.77 miles. i got about 5000 steps during my commute this morning. of course, almost a third of my commute consists of one giant downhill on which i don't need to pedal at all, so i'm sure that limits the steps/miles i get as well ... but maybe get an app on your phone or something. you can also just plug your ride into google maps and see how far it is.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

hey there, just wanted to say that it might not make sense to count on fitbit to track your bike rides. although my bike commute is 6.3 miles, fitbit tracks it as 2.77 miles. i got about 5000 steps during my commute this morning. of course, almost a third of my commute consists of one giant downhill on which i don't need to pedal at all, so i'm sure that limits the steps/miles i get as well ... but maybe get an app on your phone or something. you can also just plug your ride into google maps and see how far it is.

...*checks*...this is the running challenge, right? I know the fitbit is strictly for running/walking. On the bike I use a cyclometer:)

This is the first year I've done both--anybody here bike to work and then also run in the same day? Am I setting myself up for misery? My commute is ~7 miles one way with some decent hills. The running is just for fun.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:46:50 AM by anastrophe »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »

...*checks*...this is the running challenge, right? I know the fitbit is strictly for running/walking. On the bike I use a cyclometer:)

This is the first year I've done both--anybody here bike to work and then also run in the same day? Am I setting myself up for misery? My commute is ~7 miles one way with some decent hills. The running is just for fun.

ahh i am a big dummy! please punch me in the face! :)

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Ran my first half marathon today. My right knee feels like it might explode every time I take a step, but aside from that,  it was awesome.  I'm super slow, but we managed to finish in just under 3 hours.