Author Topic: March Cycling Challenge 2018  (Read 2995 times)

jordanread

March Cycling Challenge 2018
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »
The cycling challenge for March 2018 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.

jordanread

Re: March Cycling Challenge 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
Team, please be advised that there have been some permissions changes in Google Docs. Report any errors here.

the lorax

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »
Hi, no permission problems for me thanks. I did manually add my historical data last month and it didn't pull through though. I've added it back in, hopefully it sticks this time.

thanks again for running this :)

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »
Hi, no permission problems for me thanks. I did manually add my historical data last month and it didn't pull through though. I've added it back in, hopefully it sticks this time.

thanks again for running this :)

It won't. FYI. There is another sheet that handles historical data on a monthly basis. I'll put your stuff in there. It should be good from here on out.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:59:09 AM »
I was able to get in yesterday no problem. Looking forward to hopefully more outdoor riding this month, but honestly getting any outdoor riding here in February (without salt or snow on the roads) was a nice surprise.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
Google Doc is working well for me. I was going to hide the "PreCopy Checklist" sheet, but I'll stick to only messing with my own.

Lately I've been trying to get some rainy weather gear together. The only thing I've really purchased so far is this 10L Topeak Backloader water resistent bikepacking bag: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/bikepacking-series/969-backloader
+ No backpack (no more sweaty back, less weight on hands/upperbody)
+ No rear rack required to mount
+ Doubles as a mud guard
+ Water resistent
+ Supposedly more aerodynamic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfB5fbVHck
- $60.50 via eBay

Target had a waterproof softshell, but I'm not really sure what else I need for my lower body. Luckily I don't have to deal with snow.

Hopefully having the right gear will allow me to be a regular all-weather cyclist, but there's still no chance of me catching spoonchucker on the leaderboard.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
In temps colder than, say, 60F I put on rain pants from Marmot. Temps over that, I just let my legs get wet and dry off at the destination.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
Good to see everyone riding. Weather is looking great here, sadly I have finals over the next couple of weeks and have barely been able to do any riding. Next quarter is looking much better for getting some cycling done.

We've been car free for 15 months now, relying on foot power or public transit.

As a note. If someone wants to join the MMM Cycling Challenge on Strava send me a PM here too. I occasionally get random people, like coaches, that ask to join. I usually look at the persons profile, and check here to see if I can match the names.

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
Of course I picked the day with a 23 MPH winds for the first logged ride of the year.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
I got dropped from the form for 0 total biking last month - got a flat without the materials/momentum to fix it. I'd still like to participate though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
Of course I picked the day with a 23 MPH winds for the first logged ride of the year.

Lol, yeah, my first outdoor ride last week was about 38F with a 30+mph wind. Brrr.

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
I got dropped from the form for 0 total biking last month - got a flat without the materials/momentum to fix it. I'd still like to participate though.

Oh, don't sweat that at all. Just fill out the form with your same username, and you will be good to go. I just do that to keep it clean. None of your information is lost, or anything like that.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Forecast high of +16C next week... how long will it take to melt enough of the 30cm snowpack that I can bike again????
The snow piles on lawns are about 4-5ft high this year! I don't need to worry too much about the morning ice or the puddles (even if ice is underneath)... the studs, fenders & full chain guard do that for me. I do however need a bit more room on the roads, the curb lanes are being used for storage right now, and I need the depth of slush/snirt/brown sugar snow to be <2"... it's too much work to get through otherwise. I really hope this warm weather takes care of some of the snow, as they are forecasting more the following week, but hey it's March! Even in Canada snow can't last long now :)

So excited for spring!

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »
When the forecast says you'll have a tailwind on the way home and you end up with a 15mph headwind.......

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
Finally started getting some miles out on the road. Weathers been getting nicer and I've gotten a good routine with school going. Next quarter I'll be going to campus only two days a week and tentatively plan on riding there and back, 15 miles each way. I'm trying to build back up to doing those longer rides as I have a Summer with a single online class.

TrMama

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
Daylight savings time is the bomb. I love having so much light when I ride home in the evening.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
Daylight savings time is the bomb. I love having so much light when I ride home in the evening.
Isn't it great?  I wish they'd just do away with Standard Time.

jordanread

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
New challenge is here.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!