Author Topic: March Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 5719 times)

jordanread

March Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:03:13 PM »
The cycling challenge for March is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

Nancy

Re: March Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:19 AM »
Thanks, JR!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »
I love when the weather starts slowly warming up toward spring. Monday and Tuesday this week it was almost 60 on my way home!

I have some of those expanding wire baskets that I want to put on my rear rack for stuff-carrying purposes. Maybe this weekend I'll finally do it. I've been putting it off because they're kind of heavy and, um, my bike is already kind of big and heavy and it's hard to carry it up three flights of stairs every day. I need to hit the gym.

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:27:48 PM »
I love when the weather starts slowly warming up toward spring. Monday and Tuesday this week it was almost 60 on my way home!

I have some of those expanding wire baskets that I want to put on my rear rack for stuff-carrying purposes. Maybe this weekend I'll finally do it. I've been putting it off because they're kind of heavy and, um, my bike is already kind of big and heavy and it's hard to carry it up three flights of stairs every day. I need to hit the gym.

Why a gym? You're already getting a workout carrying the bike up the stairs...plus it has to be done, and it's free!!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »

Why a gym? You're already getting a workout carrying the bike up the stairs...plus it has to be done, and it's free!!

Yeah, but I've been doing it for 3 months and it's not getting any easier!

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
Today I saw a guy practicing bike polo on a basketball court. It looked like a lot of fun. Has anyone played? Did you find it fun?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
Took my first real spill after several years of biking.  Rode 14 miles to a local town center to have lunch with my wife.  Guy was washing the sidewalk and road.  I hit the hose at an angle and my road bike went right down.  Bruised my knee and ego and scrapped up my elbow and forearm.

Beer is helping the pain.

Back on the bike to work next week!

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
I'll put this post here so that when someone comments I'll be reminded to go out and ride. I look forward to seeing how many miles I can rack up!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »
Today I saw a guy practicing bike polo on a basketball court. It looked like a lot of fun. Has anyone played? Did you find it fun?

I saw that on a Taiwan TV drama before.  It looked pretty interesting, I forget what they have for a setup, I'd imagine fixies, and if I recall they put a circle of plastic woven through the spokes to hit the ball with.  Pretty interesting spin on combining two sports.

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
Does anyone else hate daylight savings time? It was just starting to get light out in the morning and evening. Now it's dark again in the morning.

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:37:56 AM »
Does anyone else hate daylight savings time? It was just starting to get light out in the morning and evening. Now it's dark again in the morning.

Yes. At least when we lose an hour of sleep.

I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities of one of my interviews. The 16.8 miles is a one way trip (my GF picked me up, since it would take a while to get home and...things). Sucked a lot of exhaust, though. Here in the Springs, we have a huge number of bike trails. I did not realize this was the case, but all of my former jobs were on great bike paths. This one sent me along highways without a shoulder or a trail. If I get the job, I would find a better route that may be a touch longer, but that's all good. I love riding, plus I found out that they have showers and lockers for the employees. I was expecting to pay $35/month for access.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
Part of me hates it, but another part likes having sunlight later into the evening.  Yet it's Wednesday now and I'm still screwed up from it.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
Finally got outside cycling yesterday.  I think there is a problem with my trainer setup, it has me leaning to one side because as I rode to work today I kept feeling like my bike was leaning.  Later that evening I got on my road bike and did a group ride and had the same feeling.  It was gone by the time I got home, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the slope of my garage.

jordanread

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
I think I saw this in MJ's journal, and just watched it (score 1 for open tabs as reminders). I wanted to share it here because BIKES

https://youtu.be/xuDeF6pd2DA

Nancy

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »
That video was excellent! Let's move to Utrecht!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:27:43 AM »
Just thought I'd drop and say hey y'all.  Though I haven't kept up with the kilometre tracking - rest assured I'm still biking!  Made it through another Canadian winter with no crashes (thanks to studded tires).  Last weekend I optimistically switched over to summer Tioga tires. 

happy biking!

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
Just thought I'd drop and say hey y'all.  Though I haven't kept up with the kilometre tracking - rest assured I'm still biking!  Made it through another Canadian winter with no crashes (thanks to studded tires).  Last weekend I optimistically switched over to summer Tioga tires. 

happy biking!

Outstanding. Winter biking is so ridiculously fun. Never had need of studded tires though (weather here changes way too quickly...I'd have to change the tires out multiple times a week. I'd rather slip on occasion).

Are you going to jump back in? I know Russ still rides (a lot) but doesn't participate primarily due to the time/effort that he spends elsewhere. I'll keep doing this one, but I almost wonder if a year version would be a good ancillary one for people who don't want to track daily.

Let's make everywhere like Utrecht!!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »
Okay so I'm here, what did I just get myself into?! ;D

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:37 PM »
Okay so I'm here, what did I just get myself into?! ;D

Arguably one of the most awesome places on the internet, full of riders who will support you and share a lot of knowledge. There is a new challenge every month, and historical data gets transferred over, so it's a fun way of progressing.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
Looks like in April I should be having more time to ride, last day of work today.  Not quite retired yet, so I'll be looking for more work, but the plan is to get a nice ride every morning to start the day.

Nancy

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »

Let's make everywhere like Utrecht!!

Yes! You nailed it!

jordanread

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »
It's up!! The April 2016 challenge is available here.

ETYL, since you didn't log miles last month (which makes sense since you just got your bike yesterday), you will have to fill out the form. Your history will be imported, and moving forward, as long as you log a single mile, it will automatically add you moving forward.

Sorry for the delay everyone. Apparently my brain does not make the connection between April Fools and April 1st. :P

TrMama

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
Looks like in April I should be having more time to ride, last day of work today.  Not quite retired yet, so I'll be looking for more work, but the plan is to get a nice ride every morning to start the day.

Congrats! That's a huge milestone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!