Author Topic: March Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 23815 times)

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
Re: March Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
What exactly are bicycle clothes? The tight stuff I see people wear that look like the compete in races? My fat a$$ isn't going into that clothing. If I am riding for exercise or fun I just wear shorts with compression shorts and tshirt. Which is something I am struggling with for riding to work because I wear boots. I have my exercise shoes but not everyday wear to work ride a bicycle in shoes. So now I need to buy shoes? Sigh. Starting up bicycle riding can get expensive it seems.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
What exactly are bicycle clothes? The tight stuff I see people wear that look like the compete in races? My fat a$$ isn't going into that clothing. If I am riding for exercise or fun I just wear shorts with compression shorts and tshirt. Which is something I am struggling with for riding to work because I wear boots. I have my exercise shoes but not everyday wear to work ride a bicycle in shoes. So now I need to buy shoes? Sigh. Starting up bicycle riding can get expensive it seems.

Pretty much. I swear skintight clothes (or rather, close to skin tight sometimes because I'm super skinny and sometimes even the smallest sizes aren't skintight). I used to wear cotton clothes while riding, and did not enjoy the fact that cotton retains sweat quite well.

You certainly don't need to buy any of this stuff to start up bicycle riding. I ride for fun a lot, and all of that makes me a lot more comfortable.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
One nice thing about purpose-made bicycle clothes (of which I currently own none) is that the pants are cut higher in the back and the tops are cut longer in the back so your bum doesn't hang out too much. More of an issue for tall/long-torsoed people, but it's definitely nice to have sometimes.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
Take up biking right before a gift-giving holiday.

I got a helmet, bike lock, bike computer, balaclava, fenders, and head & rear lights for my birthday or Christmas (Nov, Dec).  The used bike I bought already had a basket.

Just now that it's warming up am I considering bike-specific clothing.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »
Take up biking right before a gift-giving holiday.

I got a helmet, bike lock, bike computer, balaclava, fenders, and head & rear lights for my birthday or Christmas (Nov, Dec).  The used bike I bought already had a basket.

Just now that it's warming up am I considering bike-specific clothing.

Haha I like the way you think!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »

No specific clothing is really necessary... When I started commuting I was just in a cotton T-shirt, some old athletic shorts, and tennis shoes (10 mi each way). I certainly wouldn't go back, but it was fine for a while. After a year or so those were pretty shot so I got/was gifted some new things. I still don't really have much bike-specific gear, just some more breathable shirts and a couple things like gloves and other cold-weather gear. I found that clothing made specifically for bikes cost about 3x as much as something similar that was more generically athletic clothing. Maybe I was just looking at the wrong shops though. The breathable shirts were definitely the best bang-for-the-buck during warm weather. Mine aren't even tight really.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »

No specific clothing is really necessary... When I started commuting I was just in a cotton T-shirt, some old athletic shorts, and tennis shoes (10 mi each way). I certainly wouldn't go back, but it was fine for a while. After a year or so those were pretty shot so I got/was gifted some new things. I still don't really have much bike-specific gear, just some more breathable shirts and a couple things like gloves and other cold-weather gear. I found that clothing made specifically for bikes cost about 3x as much as something similar that was more generically athletic clothing. Maybe I was just looking at the wrong shops though. The breathable shirts were definitely the best bang-for-the-buck during warm weather. Mine aren't even tight really.

General purpose athletic clothing is good, but if you care about
One nice thing about purpose-made bicycle clothes (of which I currently own none) is that the pants are cut higher in the back and the tops are cut longer in the back so your bum doesn't hang out too much. More of an issue for tall/long-torsoed people, but it's definitely nice to have sometimes.
then only cycling clothing is going to fit the bill (at least, as far as I know). Which I do care about on a particularly windy day.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
My bicycle commute would only be about 2 miles one way so probably not much too worry about anyway.

I tuned up (I hope correctly) my mountain bike. It's a Schwinn Frontier GS. I assume it's big enough for me. It feels odd and I am not sure why. I had one of the neighbor kids take it for a ride and he thought it was perfect. He didn't try changing gears. I am still trying to get the hang of tuning the derailers. It's better than what it was but not perfect yet. I don't have reflectors, lights, fenders, anything to carry stuff in.

Still trying to decide which bike will be better so I will test out both bikes. The kids have spring break in another week so I won't have to worry about picking up kids and I can get a baseline for time.

aksoleil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
Jumping in late this month. I biked the first 3 years that I lived here in Fairbanks, Alaska, but then I got my car, and my mileage decreased A LOT over the next 5. Last week, my car was totaled in an accident (all cosmetic, but so expensive!). It wasn't my fault, but the other party's insurance totaled the car, and I can't get an equally solid and well-maintained car for the amount they'll pay. Since we've finally got enough daylight that I won't be biking at night, and the days of sub-zero temperatures are nearly over (not today, though), I'm getting the bike ready for my commute.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »
I am riding with a friend tonight so finally filled out the sheet. Should be around 15-20 miles tonight.

I'm hoping my gps works on my phone. I went for a run Monday night and it never found a signal for some reason. Luckily my wife had hers on and it worked.

Big ride didn't happen. No one to watch the youngest. Went for a 3 mile ride while my wife jogged. I should have just ran with her.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:16:24 AM by b4u2 »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »

General purpose athletic clothing is good, but if you care about
then only cycling clothing is going to fit the bill (at least, as far as I know). Which I do care about on a particularly windy day.

For commuting my 3.1 miles I don't go very fancy, jeans, t-shirt, over shirt, running shoes, and rain gear.  Even my rain pants aren't cycling pants, just the cheapest pair I found on Amazon.

For cycling on the weekends where I do the 30+ mile rides, or like last weekend doing 75mi the bike specific clothing is really nice to have.  Specifically the jersey I just got is awesome.  3 Pockets in the back to hold cellphone (including backup battery), stuff, and food (going left to right) which is easily accessible while riding.  The shorts I'm still not totally convinced they make that big of a difference, I was riding 30+ in kahki before getting cycling bibs.  The only really big difference is that being skin tight there is less drag, and won't get caught on my chain or bottle holder.  My rain coat (GoreTex, spendy, but keeps me dry) is cycling specific and has longer arms which happen to come up to just about my wrists when in cycling position, but are slightly long when not riding, and gets used for both commuting and recreational.  My cycling shoes came with the bike when I got it, along with the SPD pedals.

I try to find the clothing as cheap as possible, but since I only wear them while cycling long distances I figure they will last a long time and if my hobby is cycling for recreation then spending a little bit into it isn't bad, but I weigh each purchase (not for cutting grams) with the utility it will provide.  Right now I'm thinking of a cycling specific GPS because going 75mi I went through my cell phone's battery, as much recharge I could get while at the destination, the backup Anker battery (single full charge), and got home with 3% battery left.  I'm giving this hobby time to make sure I'll be sticking with it before putting a lot in, which considering my recent bike purchase last year I'm pretty sure I'm past the point of putting a lot in.  Nashbar has been a good source for cheap cycling clothing, combined with 20% off coupons and free shipping.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
Yesterday was our 6 year anniversary. We drove (I know but ti was fun) to Davenport and rode he Duck Creek Trail 13 miles. We started to turn around but looked on Google maps and realized it joined another trail and eventually made a big loop to where we started. So we rode the whole darn thing! 3 hours, 31.5 miles, A few wrong turns and pulling up Google maps but it was fun! I need a holder for my Note 3 so I can have the map up while we ride.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
Yesterday was our 6 year anniversary. We drove (I know but ti was fun) to Davenport and rode he Duck Creek Trail 13 miles. We started to turn around but looked on Google maps and realized it joined another trail and eventually made a big loop to where we started. So we rode the whole darn thing! 3 hours, 31.5 miles, A few wrong turns and pulling up Google maps but it was fun! I need a holder for my Note 3 so I can have the map up while we ride.

Awesome! There are some seriously long trails I hope to explore further this year. I won't get the whole thing, but there's one trail network that, except for about 4 miles of city streets from my house to the nearest junction, goes a good 80 miles or more on asphalt or gravel.

Right now we're limited more by the kids, but they do great for their age (5,7,8). Tomorrow will be our first family ride of the year. Last year I got them up to 16 miles RT (5 year old was on the trail-a-bike).

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
Trek 820 trail bike. Any thoughts ? I am looking to make a daily commuter with all the racks and fenders needed to travel around town. I don't carry much to work except my lunch so may be over doing/thinking this but the options would be nice.

I have the Schwinn Frontier GS but not sure it's the right bike for me to ride daily.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
I have the Schwinn Frontier GS but not sure it's the right bike for me to ride daily.

Well you already have this bike... what do you have to lose by trying to ride it daily for a week or two? Even if you dislike riding it daily, after you've ridden it daily for a while you'll know what you like and dislike about it and you'll be able to make a better decision.

tl;dr: JUST GET ON THE DAMN BIKE

:P

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
I have ridden and it just seems to small. I also don't like the grip shift. It's a twist type shifter on the handle bar on inside edge of grip. The bike works in a pinch but I am also looking for something I can use while camping as well. Most of the campgrounds are paved but some are gravel so I need a hybrid or mt bike.

The Schwinn Frontier is a 21 inch frame so no idea why it feels small to me. My Schwinn Prelude is 22 inches and feels fine. I don't like the ram horn handle bars though.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
I have ridden and it just seems to small. I also don't like the grip shift. It's a twist type shifter on the handle bar on inside edge of grip. The bike works in a pinch but I am also looking for something I can use while camping as well. Most of the campgrounds are paved but some are gravel so I need a hybrid or mt bike.

The Schwinn Frontier is a 21 inch frame so no idea why it feels small to me. My Schwinn Prelude is 22 inches and feels fine. I don't like the ram horn handle bars though.

Saying too small is a little vague.  You might just need to fit the bike, raising handle bars, get a stem extension to put them further away, and maybe raise the seat.  If you don't like the grip shifters you could also change those out for easy fire, I definitely like the easy fire shifters much better than grip shifters.  It looks like the newer ones I saw when googling used the easy fire shifters.

After saying all that, the Trek 820 comes with the easy fire shifters.  The crankset has slightly more teeth on the front and the back, which might balance itself out for gain ratio (haven't bothered to calculate gain ratio on both), but with both ending with a 14 as the smallest cog you would see an overall higher speed on the Trek 820, while possibly maintaining the same climbing ability (still depends on gain ratio of 28:34 vs 24:32).  Both have same level of components with Shimano Tourney.

Really the difference is what I said in the first paragraph, shifters, and if you get a new one get one that fits, or get it fitted to you.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »

Saying too small is a little vague.  You might just need to fit the bike, raising handle bars, get a stem extension to put them further away, and maybe raise the seat.  If you don't like the grip shifters you could also change those out for easy fire, I definitely like the easy fire shifters much better than grip shifters.  It looks like the newer ones I saw when googling used the easy fire shifters.

After saying all that, the Trek 820 comes with the easy fire shifters.  The crankset has slightly more teeth on the front and the back, which might balance itself out for gain ratio (haven't bothered to calculate gain ratio on both), but with both ending with a 14 as the smallest cog you would see an overall higher speed on the Trek 820, while possibly maintaining the same climbing ability (still depends on gain ratio of 28:34 vs 24:32).  Both have same level of components with Shimano Tourney.

Really the difference is what I said in the first paragraph, shifters, and if you get a new one get one that fits, or get it fitted to you.

My feet seem to hit the front tire when I make turns. I could try some adjustments on it. My wife seems fine riding it so it may be her camp bike and I'll go get the Trek 820. Looks very clean and it's $120 which is decent price for this area. It also has a rear rack already on it.

I never thought about changing the shifters. I could look into that as well if I decide not to buy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:19:21 PM by b4u2 »

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 06:10:43 AM »
b4u2, any chance you could take your bike to a local bike shop to get some in-person feedback on what's going on with the fit? Also where are your feet on the pedals (like, are you pedaling with your toes or your heels or your midfoot)?

This has not been a very high-mileage month for me and I don't know how likely I am to make it up (uninspiring weather) but I've only driven my car two days/30 miles this month, and I haven't driven at all for ten days! And if I make it through today I will probably make it to the weekend.

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »
damn .. I'm sick, so I'll miss 100 miles this week and I'm gonna lose my podium position. :(

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »
Did another 67mi ride today to deliver diabetic test strips to my dad, who then found the 2 boxes of 100 I had brought last time as soon as I got there.  Oh well, still a great ride :-D  My cycling group is looking to do 41mi tomorrow, but they are starting 13mi from my house, so that means I get to do another 67mi :-D  This helps make up for when I was sick.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
Gonna stretch my legs and do Costco today. 26 miles. A lot of my errands lately have been way too bulky to do by bike, but despite being Costco I only need a few things, just things that are so ridiculously cheaper there that it makes sense to bike out for them.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »
Gonna stretch my legs and do Costco today. 26 miles. A lot of my errands lately have been way too bulky to do by bike, but despite being Costco I only need a few things, just things that are so ridiculously cheaper there that it makes sense to bike out for them.

Whoo!

I just did a 26 mile ride yesterday to the Korean grocery store. It was a beautiful day yesterday - 50s in the morning, 70s by the time I was heading home. The only problem was I didn't realize how strong the sun was, and now my arms and hands are sunburnt =/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Ugh. Was waaaaay under dressed for once. Feel like a human icicle. Should really have worn my winter layers instead of my lighter stuff, and my new trainers let way more wind through than my old ones. Oh well. I am alive!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 05:01:23 AM »
Wife and I did 16.5 miles on Friday. It was a nice day for the ride.

I bought the Trek 820 last week. I had 2 reasons. 1 was I needed a 2nd mt bike for camping. 2 the bike came with a rear rack and I got it for $100 in perfect condition. I ordered lights for it, front and rear. I was all lined up to ride to work this week, I was fully prepared....except for rain, freezing rain, ice, and snow. Not sure how I forgot about all that, it is Iowa of course. This is supposed to continue all week and temps will stay in the 30's.

Nancy

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
Ugh. Was waaaaay under dressed for once. Feel like a human icicle. Should really have worn my winter layers instead of my lighter stuff, and my new trainers let way more wind through than my old ones. Oh well. I am alive!

Sorry about the coldness, GC, but how wonderful to be alive and be able to know and feel it!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
Finished a 74mi bike ride yesterday.  Got home and found that the GPS data is missing for about 9mi, but at least the ride was wonderful!  Got done and felt like I could have kept going another 10-15mi, and this is just the day after doing 67mi.  I might try to do a century next weekend, supposed to be in the 70's.

Best bicycle related investment:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

No hint of a flat tire since.
I've been thinking about getting Gatorskin or some other tire, I'll have to add this to the list I'll look at when my tires get worn.  What was the reason for choosing this brand over competitors?

Whoo!

I just did a 26 mile ride yesterday to the Korean grocery store. It was a beautiful day yesterday - 50s in the morning, 70s by the time I was heading home. The only problem was I didn't realize how strong the sun was, and now my arms and hands are sunburnt =/
Yay for grocery store runs!  I haven't done as many as I would like.  Way to go both of you!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Finished a 74mi bike ride yesterday.  Got home and found that the GPS data is missing for about 9mi, but at least the ride was wonderful!  Got done and felt like I could have kept going another 10-15mi, and this is just the day after doing 67mi.  I might try to do a century next weekend, supposed to be in the 70's.

I hate you ;)

I've been thinking about getting Gatorskin or some other tire, I'll have to add this to the list I'll look at when my tires get worn.  What was the reason for choosing this brand over competitors?

I don't have any Schwalbe summer tires, but I have been impressed with their winter tires from the same series. A Gatorskin will be faster as it's practically a smooth tread. I have had zero puncture flats on mine, though have had a few snakebite flats, probably from incorrect pressure for the load I was carrying.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Wife and I did 16.5 miles on Friday. It was a nice day for the ride.

I bought the Trek 820 last week. I had 2 reasons. 1 was I needed a 2nd mt bike for camping. 2 the bike came with a rear rack and I got it for $100 in perfect condition. I ordered lights for it, front and rear. I was all lined up to ride to work this week, I was fully prepared....except for rain, freezing rain, ice, and snow. Not sure how I forgot about all that, it is Iowa of course. This is supposed to continue all week and temps will stay in the 30's.

Sounds like a great deal! Having those extras come with a bike can really make a difference.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:27 AM »
Trying to decide whether the roll of duct tape I bought to tape my sad broken headlight onto my handlebars counts as a bike expense... I've ordered a new one that's supposedly theft-proof and unbreakable (the Fortified Aviator), so hopefully this will be my last light purchase for a long time!

Last night was the first time in about two months that I rode to my chorus rehearsal a couple of towns over. Hooray for shrunken snowbanks! Now if we could just get those potholes filled in.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »
Too bad running doesn't count. Wife and I went for a 3.5 mile run last night.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
The spread sheet wont let me add any more km or anything.  It says that I am not authorised to make changes.  Any advise?

TrMama

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »

Best bicycle related investment:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

No hint of a flat tire since.
Not much consideration went into the decision. A colleague recommended them to me and Schwalbe do seem to be the go to brand in Germany.
Anyway no regrets on my part, I never mind paying a price for quality that will save me headaches and money in the long run.

I also had a coworker recommend those tires to me. The only reason I didn't get them was that they are really stiff and hard to get on. I have wimpy girl hands and can't get stiff tires like that on or off myself. This means that if I do get a flat on the road, I can't fix it myself. Since creepy men tend to stop and offer to "help" when I'm in that position I opted for a more flexible Schwalbe tire. If you're a guy or have a decent backup strategy for irreparable flats, this is a great tire.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:37 PM »
I also had a coworker recommend those tires to me. The only reason I didn't get them was that they are really stiff and hard to get on. I have wimpy girl hands and can't get stiff tires like that on or off myself. This means that if I do get a flat on the road, I can't fix it myself. Since creepy men tend to stop and offer to "help" when I'm in that position I opted for a more flexible Schwalbe tire. If you're a guy or have a decent backup strategy for irreparable flats, this is a great tire.

Heh, I'm a guy but because of surgeries I have pathetically weak grip strength, so for especially stiff tires I just use a bead jack.

----

Definitely have lost endurance with my lazy winter but had a good ride tonight considering there was a stiff breeze and it was only 34F. Did 27 miles a touch under 13mph average, and according to Strava I hit a personal record on 3 segments of my ride. Pretty spent towards the end, so I have a long ways to go if I want to make a century this year. Then again, better temps will no doubt help as well.

jordanread

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
The spread sheet wont let me add any more km or anything.  It says that I am not authorised to make changes.  Any advise?

Sorry for the delay man. I don't see anything different with the changes. Can you try again, and let me know if it works? What device are you accessing it on? Mobile, tablet, or desktop?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »

Sorry for the delay man. I don't see anything different with the changes. Can you try again, and let me know if it works? What device are you accessing it on? Mobile, tablet, or desktop?

No worries, it started working again last night.  It was not working on mobile, or desktop, but is on both now.

Thanks

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
Couple of bike questions.

Cell phone holder for GPS? I use a Note 3 any suggestions? ALso what about bike lock? I have a huge cable and circle lock that is just too big, bulky, and heavy. What do you use?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »

Cell phone holder for GPS? I use a Note 3 any suggestions? ALso what about bike lock? I have a huge cable and circle lock that is just too big, bulky, and heavy. What do you use?

I dont have a recommendation for the cell phone holder - that's a huge phone.
I use a kryotonite U lock. I usually put it through the top of my rack. I also keep a simple cable lock on my rack at all times because sometimes I rush out the door and forget my U lock

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »

GPS - do you need to see the display or just log miles? If just logging, get an armband, as they are more secure and can be used also when doing other exercise.

Lock - unfortunately, all decent locks will be quite heavy. I have a Kryptonite u-lock that included an extra cable which is occasionally needed for locking up the kids bike to mine, or when there's only very thick objects to lock the bike to.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »

GPS - do you need to see the display or just log miles? If just logging, get an armband, as they are more secure and can be used also when doing other exercise.

Lock - unfortunately, all decent locks will be quite heavy. I have a Kryptonite u-lock that included an extra cable which is occasionally needed for locking up the kids bike to mine, or when there's only very thick objects to lock the bike to.

Mostly to see the display. When we did the 30 mile ride we got "lost" a few times. I had it on my arm band but couldn't see the display.

I'll look for a lock that includes a cable as well then.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:45 AM »
Something like this should work: http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Smartphone-Handlebar-Resistant-Samsung/dp/B00E4YR7Z4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427473357&sr=8-3&keywords=Handlebar+mount+galaxy+note+3

Just make sure your handlebars are round and less than 33mm per the spec. When installed, triple check. All of these have decent horror stories of the phone falling out into the road, hence my prior recommendation of an armband.

Keep in mind also how fast the battery will get chewed up with both display and GPS on.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »

Mostly to see the display. When we did the 30 mile ride we got "lost" a few times. I had it on my arm band but couldn't see the display.

I have a cell phone mount for my bike, but my cell phone just plays music - I don't use the GPS on it. But, I do write my riding directions on a slip of paper and then put that on top of my phone. It works great.
And if I do go off course, I can always pull over and use my phone GPS to get my bearings.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

I'll third the Kryptonite lock.  Mine came with something to mount it on the bike so it's always on there, and a cable which I loop through my front tire.

For GPS I keep my phone in my pocket, though I really want to get a Garmin for those century rides.  I saw someone in my cycling group with a handlebar bag that had a clear flap to put a phone in that then drapes over the bars towards you so you can see it.  On 75+mi rides my phone gets drained, and I bring a USB recharger with me which gives me an extra charge.  75-100mi may be my limit for logging GPS miles for now unless I get a second backup charger, solar panels, or a dedicated device.

Here's something that sort of has the idea.
http://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Bicycle-Handlebar-Front-Basket/dp/B0098HAT34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427474030&sr=8-1&keywords=handlebar+bag

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
I think what kind of lock you need depends on where and for how long you're locking your bike up. Like I might use a couple of high-quality (and heavy) U-Locks if I were leaving my bike outside in a potentially high-theft area all night. But when I'm just running into the grocery store on my way home from work I use just a frame lock to discourage joyriders (don't even attach the bike to a rack). My boyfriend is much more protective of his bike and will generally use a U-lock and chain combination through both wheels whenever he can.

Bike locks are like insurance - they come with costs (not just money, also weight and convenience) and you have to decide on your own risk tolerance and the cost you're willing to put up with to reduce that risk. So you can get away with a very lightweight lock if you're mostly concerned with discouraging casual thievery on your moderately-priced bike, but you will need a heavier lock if you want to (nearly) eliminate your risk of having your beloved custom bike being ripped off by serious thieves. Likewise if you're locking your bike up every day in a busy or sketchy area you probably want a more serious lock than if you're toting a lock along on long-distance rides and you'll leave the bike parked for 45 minutes outside the place where you eat lunch.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:36:52 AM by mskyle »

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:10 AM »
Hi fellow Mustachian cyclists,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while and now I am entering the challenge for the first time. I am currently commuting ~25km (bike route) or ~28km (car route) each way in a metropolitan region with way too much clown car traffic in Germany.

I biked to work quite a bit last year already but am trying to step it up further this year.
My target is to usually bike each monday, wednesday and friday. I will allow myself to deviate from that if it is necessary because of the occasional busines trip, vacation or seriously bad weather. However, in any week which has N work days where I do commute to the office, I will not be allowed to drive the car more than floor(N/2) days.  I will put a comment in the spreadsheet for each week signifying whether I achieved that goal.
As I am becoming more badass, I hope to even go beyond that goal, of course.

And thanks a lot to jordanread for the cool spreadsheet.

Happy Riding!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:43:43 AM by WerKater »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2015, 07:05:08 AM »
Welcome WerKater! That's a hefty commute - good on you for doing it.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
Welcome WerKater! That's a hefty commute - good on you for doing it.
Thanks! I hope to live up to my plans :)

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
Alright, I'm in! I estimate 75 - 100 miles per week.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Back to better weather for a bit. Just barely eeked out 100 miles for the month today on a trip that had us break out the trailer for the first time (needed to take a broken wheel to the LBS to have them find me the correct spokes...only to realize on getting home that replacing spokes on a rear wheel requires removing the cassette for them to clear. Oh well, needed those tools eventually.)

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
120 miles this month. First day riding was the 22nd.  Should 3 days/week commute + grocery shopping + gym.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!