Author Topic: March Cycling Challenge!! 2014 edition  (Read 5470 times)

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: March Cycling Challenge!! 2014 edition
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:38 AM »
Thank you Nancy. I finally got to ride today for the first time this month. YEA! Winter can end now.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
Thanks Nancy! I'm finally back on the bike ~2 weeks after a fall, and it feels great!

Winter is definitely not over (it was 21F when I set out to ride this morning) but I'm just trying to remember how this feels so I can appreciate it properly when it's 100F and I'm sweating buckets on my way to work...

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
21F is nearly shorts weather! The trails around here are real bad now that things are thawing during the day/sun and then freezing again at night.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »
I got a taste of the warm weather riding last week.  I'm hoping for more cool mornings like today!  I've made a big push this year to do more cycling for fitness reasons and have been doing a partial commute to work starting the end of January.

I'm not sure I can do it over the summer with no showers at work.  We will see.

It took me a year and a half to put on 250 miles on my bike.  Since January 25th I've ridden over 400 miles already :)

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
Thanks, Nancy!

The weather turned for the better this weekend, so I was able to get out. Hopefully more miles this month than last! Banzai!!!!!!!!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
Today was finally both warm enough (well, it was in the mid 20's but not very windy) and the paths clear enough (ok there was still some ice, but whatever don't tell my wife) to bring my little one to daycare on the bike! We haven't done that since early December and I think he forgot how much fun it is ("I'm up so high!" "We're going so FAST!" "I hear a eagle [songbird]!"). Cheers to spring.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Eh... I'll throw my hat in, just for posterity. So far this month: 54.66 miles, not counting my commute today. :)

(EDIT) Would someone add me into the master list? I don't want to screw anything up. I added my own sheet as directed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:26:07 AM by FunkyStickman »

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Nice job, FunkyStickman! You're added to the sheet.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
On pace to make March my first 500 mile month. Feels great, I'm in the best shape of my life. Only about 100 miles is commute, since I'm only PT. The rest is my daily fitness/fun/anti-depressant ride.

Today I finally fixed the bike trailer. Needs a few more mods to comfortably fit all three of my kids in it, but my youngest was comfortable enough he managed to fall asleep in a bike lane next to 45 mph traffic, lol.

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
Congrats! That's badass. Feel free to add yourself to the sheet if you'd like.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:54 AM »
Thegoblinchief, can you post a picture of your bike trailer?  I've never seen one big enough to carry 3 kids!

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
Thegoblinchief, that is awesome! I'm stoked for you!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
Thegoblinchief, can you post a picture of your bike trailer?  I've never seen one big enough to carry 3 kids!

It's a standard Burley double trailer, just with 3 kids jammed in it and the canopy cut off because it's way too claustrophobic for the larger ones. Once I figure out the best way to do the jump seat for my little dude I'll snap a photo.

The other route I've considered is just getting a second trailer and rigging a hitch to make a bike train.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Hey- I found the spreadsheet a little squirelly this morning. Attempted to clean it up and reset the sort filter, which looked like the problem. Can someone else check the formulas? Also, I didn't touch the EVER calculations, so that still needs to be fixed.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 09:13:16 AM »
Is the sheet locked from editing? Can't add anything to it this morning...

(EDIT) Never mind, rebooted my PC, works now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:33:35 AM by FunkyStickman »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
And in comes Russ to fill in for the entire month and trump us pitiful mortals! Like a machine! Some kindof bike-machine cyborg...

6 more days and the March weather isn't getting any kinder!
It's a little cloudy out here in California :P I think I got a little bit of precipitation to the face today...
Let's finish the week strong!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »
"A little cloudy" ! I'd take that... it was precipitating in Minnesota this week as well--except it was snow whipping along and pulling the temp w/windchill down to around 0 F. In a testament to my own stubbornness I've decided that since its spring I'll no longer wear long pants or use bar mitts, so it's been an interesting week. The power of wishful thinking apparently doesn't extend to the weather. At least it's been warm enough a few days to take my little one to daycare on the bike!

Recent interaction at the pharmacy as I wheeled my bike out:
Woman: "It's great to see you bikers back out"
Me: "Yes, I'm glad it's getting warmer"
Woman: "Or maybe you've been biking all winter"
Ding ding ding!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!