Author Topic: March Biking Challenge!  (Read 20316 times)

StashinIt

• Stubble
Re: March Biking Challenge!
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »
It's right at freezing and we got some awful mixed precip yesterday and overnight, so I'm wimping out and getting on the trainer for this morning. Do we have consensus on counting/not counting that? (I'm leaning towards not...)

I don't count spin class for this, so I wouldn't count the trainer either. If you're training competitively you'd count all your exercises.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
It's right at freezing and we got some awful mixed precip yesterday and overnight, so I'm wimping out and getting on the trainer for this morning. Do we have consensus on counting/not counting that? (I'm leaning towards not...)

I don't count spin class for this, so I wouldn't count the trainer either. If you're training competitively you'd count all your exercises.

I've tracked all my investments for my bike so far.  I only count mileage I do in instances when I would have been driving against the cost of the bike/supplies.  Joy rides get counted on here only, but I'm actually riding it outside.  I'd say that we should not include any trainer/ indoor stuff!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
First real ride of 2013 today after being on the injured roster the last few months, and I also got my very first rude comment while biking! Some horrible looking woman hanging out the side of a massive shiny truck screaming "Use the sidewalk, cunt!!" after I took the lane in a narrow stretch of road, and she'd had to ride behind me for literally half a block.

I was so shocked all I could do was laugh, which seemed to incense her more as the truck then gunned it and went flying through a left hand turn on a red light. Wow!

Other than that, beautiful day and beautiful ride. I also learned that a box of wine nestles perfectly into the basket on the front of my bike!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:44:32 PM by madgeylou »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
First real ride of 2013 today after being on the injured roster the last few months, and I also got my very first rude comment while biking! Some horrible looking woman hanging out the side of a massive shiny truck screaming "Use the sidewalk, cunt!!" after I took the lane in a narrow stretch of road, and she'd had to ride behind me for literally half a block.

I was so shocked all I could do was laugh, which seemed to incense her more as the truck then gunned it and went flying through a left hand turn on a red light. Wow!

Other than that, beautiful day and beautiful ride. I also learned that a box of wine nestles perfectly into the basket on the front of my bike!

Way to take it in stride. Hopefully the rest of your rides will be less "eventful"!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »
What do you guys do when it rains? I've got a raincoat but that doesn't keep my legs and feet dry.  There is no place to change at work (without walking through half the office, which defeats the purpose) so I bike in my work clothes.  While I don't mind getting wet on the way home, soaked jeans won't fly even in our casual office.

. . . . I'm really not liking the weather lately as you can tell.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »
First day back in the game for about two weeks, I'm so happy to be back in the saddle.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
What do you guys do when it rains? I've got a raincoat but that doesn't keep my legs and feet dry.  There is no place to change at work (without walking through half the office, which defeats the purpose) so I bike in my work clothes.  While I don't mind getting wet on the way home, soaked jeans won't fly even in our casual office.

I just bring a change of clothes.  I shower at work too since my ride is 9 miles with some nice hills.  I work at a pretty large company so we have locker rooms all over.  On a side note, the backpack I have has a rain cover that's built in, is bright and yellow, and dries pretty quickly!  I think it's much better to change into comfortable clothes than deal with the wet feeling.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »

I've got a long commute, so when it rains I get wet.  Really really wet.  It's better since I put fenders on my bikes (less water blasting into my face from the front wheel), but I'm still soaked at the end of a wet commute.  Bring a change of clothes wrapped up tight in a couple plastic baggies to keep 'em dry, or keep some dry clothes and a towel at the office for days you have to come in wet.  Then just towel down and switch clothes in the bathroom.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
Then just towel down and switch clothes in the bathroom.

The whole issue was that the bathroom/changing area is in the middle of our small office.  The office is casual but walking in soaking wet through the building on the way to the bathroom is pushing the line of professionalism.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »

The whole issue was that the bathroom/changing area is in the middle of our small office.  The office is casual but walking in soaking wet through the building on the way to the bathroom is pushing the line of professionalism.

That's really strange to me.  We have people who go run a few miles at lunch time and come back on site and shower.  I can't imagine anyone saying "your care for your health/environment/money savings is really offending your office mates and I'd appreciate it if you stopped displaying it to your co-workers by walking to the bathroom to change." 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

That's really strange to me.  We have people who go run a few miles at lunch time and come back on site and shower.  I can't imagine anyone saying "your care for your health/environment/money savings is really offending your office mates and I'd appreciate it if you stopped displaying it to your co-workers by walking to the bathroom to change."

It would probably be acceptable, I just feel it is disrespectful to slop water all over the carpet while passing my office and parking my bike (indoors out of their generosity) at the back of the office.   It just feels wrong to me: the damage to the carpet, the wet clothes in a confined shared office all day, the wet hair at work, etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
It would probably be acceptable, I just feel it is disrespectful to slop water all over the carpet while passing my office and parking my bike (indoors out of their generosity) at the back of the office.   It just feels wrong to me: the damage to the carpet, the wet clothes in a confined shared office all day, the wet hair at work, etc.

So, just keep a towel in a dry plastic bag on your bike and dry down before entering the building then?

I kinda push the lines of professionalism in my office what with my piles of soaked and drying clothing that's strewn around my cube each time I bike in, so take any advice from me with a grain of not giving a fuck salt.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »

Now it's starting to make sense.  I didn't realize that you're storing the bike inside also.  I can't imagine they'd care about you being wet, but a nasty bike being wheeled through could cause some issues.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

Long fenders with mudflaps are step one. These don't fit on many modern road bikes with tight frame clearances or full-suspension mountain bikes; if you have one of those, it's probably good to sell it and get a hybrid, older mountain bike, or wide-clearance road bike.

Here's one good set:
http://www.rei.com/product/813527/planet-bike-cascadia-hybridtouring-road-bike-fenders-45mm
And another:
http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Longboard-Coverage-Bicycle-Fender/dp/B004I91WQU

Beyond that, you can also buy the world's dorkiest product, Rain Legs:
http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/rain-legs/

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »

So, just keep a towel in a dry plastic bag on your bike and dry down before entering the building then?

I kinda push the lines of professionalism in my office what with my piles of soaked and drying clothing that's strewn around my cube each time I bike in, so take any advice from me with a grain of not giving a fuck salt.

You're boss Guitar. I used to put my wet clothes (which is everyday since I sweat like a maniac after my commute), on our chairs by the pool. About 1% of people go by the pool to go to the gym, yet someone complained about clothes being put out by the pool. Another coworker bikes and so he'd put his clothes out there too. So for a while they stayed all wet and moldy-like inside the locker room.. Well I decided to give them the finger and started putting them back by the pool.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
Long fenders with mudflaps are step one. These don't fit on many modern road bikes with tight frame clearances or full-suspension mountain bikes; if you have one of those, it's probably good to sell it and get a hybrid, older mountain bike, or wide-clearance road bike.
The Crud RoadRacer 2 is fantastic for low-clearance racing bikes without fender eyelets. The coverage isn't quite as good as the best of "real" fenders but it's very, very good. Between that and Tubus' funky system for mounting racks on the brake bolt and QR skewer, go-fast bikes (which can often be found cheap for the quality on CL or the like) are turning into serious transportation options.

Justin234

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
About changing areas (and storage) - this won't work for everyone / every office space, but I've personally claimed an out-of-the-way stairwell in my work building as my very own changing room and clothes drying space. It never gets used, so I just go in the door and go up one flight, where I change into office attire, and hang my clothes to dry on the railing on the second floor. I even have a nice view from the window there, just have to make sure no one seem me naked from outside. By the time I leave, my clothes are dry.

I keep thinking someone will tell me to knock it off and change in the bathroom - or worse yet, my boss will walk in on at in inopportune time - but so far, so good.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Finally got my health and butt in gear.  Biked 7 miles out of my 32 mile round-trip commute today.  (Drove the rest.)    My legs were rubber but I'm game for tomorrow if it's not pouring down rain.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:41:24 PM by SwordGuy »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Haven't been riding as much as I would like, but this past weekend I rode my first century ride of the year in glorious 75 degrees weather. Got a nice little sunburn out of it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2013, 06:19:44 AM »
Haven't been riding as much as I would like, but this past weekend I rode my first century ride of the year in glorious 75 degrees weather. Got a nice little sunburn out of it.

I'll think of you while biking my 11 miles home tonight through the freezing rain and snow.  :P

EDIT - Ride home had so much wet snow that I couldn't keep my glasses from icing up.  I thought of you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:51:35 PM by GuitarStv »

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »
I'm excited to participate in April's biking challenge since I can easily bike to work at my new job!

As for biking in the rain - I wear a waterproof jacket, a pair of thin waterproof pants over my pants, and I have a pannier with a rain cover that keeps my things nice and dry.  I usually just take off the waterproof pants in the bathroom, dry off the built up internal steam (ie sweat) and I'm good to go.  I commuted 3 miles to work for 5 years this way and it worked out just fine.

Justin234

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
It's probably been a year since I've ridden my bike, but decided today was the day to make the move.  Rode 8 miles roundtrip over the god-forsaken Queensboro Bridge (that is one steep mother) to a buddy's house, instead of taking the subway, to watch my Hoyas beat up on the Syracuse Orange.

Nice! I used to cross the Queensboro Bridge on my commute back and forth from Brooklyn to Manhattan. It is indeed a monster! I took the Brooklyn Bridge in, then returned on the QUeensboro for variety, and so I could say I commuted through three boroughs. Ah, the memories.

I miss biking in New York, but to entrance and exit of the Queensboro are not very pleasant, especially in rush hour... You should definitely get back in the habit, especially with all the new bike lanes that have been put in around town.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
This was my first week doing a partial commute by bike.  It's too far for me to commute at this point - I simply don't have the endurance.  So I'm driving part way and biking the rest. 

I was aiming for 4 days this week but my car window broke in the down position on Wednesday so I only biked 3 days this week.  It was bitter cold here this morning but I successfully ignored the litany of reasons why I didn't really, really bike today.  I did go a shorter distance (which turned out to be very wise) because I don't have gloves that are adequate at that temperature.

PS - I'm on the spreadsheet but not on the summary page...

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Confession time.

I bought a bike! Not only did I but a bike, I bought a *new* bike. Not a new to me be, a brand spanking new bike from my LBS. Not just any local bike shop, but the fancy bike shop in the spendy part of town! Did I need to? No. Did I want to? Yes.

How did I choose it? Well, in essence I let it choose me. I got a professional fit done on a guru dfu machine http://www.runningawaymultisport.com/the-guru-dynamic-fit-unit/ it took about 2 hours of pedaling, adjusting, pedaling, adjusting to get it all dialed in. A $200 operation in all, refunded if you end up buying a bike from them, which I did. They then take all your measurements: seat height, knee position, reach, etc. and overlay it onto their bike options.

I had a few options from them and I ended up choosing the Felt Z85 61cm (I'm 6'4''). http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

Do I recommend that you do this? No, not if you don't want to. Is there a huge difference getting a bike fit, yes actually it has made a difference on how my knees feel. However, this is mostly due to them changing the cleat position on my shoes drastically.

I made a couple little changes to the stock build, specifically getting a 11-28 rear cassette instead of a 12-32.

Anyway, all told I spent $1,800 on a bike. Certainly not frugal, but I'm happy.

Jill the Pill

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
I can barely ride without training wheels and get white-knuckle nervous going downhill, but I got out my daughter's $5 tag sale bike -- it's extra low and wide, dorky and stable -- and made my first venture out of my own street: almost 1 mile, and it was in March.  Count it please!!  :) 

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
Yesterday was miserable and in some respects highlights the importance of being prepared for a ride. A calamity of errors on my part compounding to me shouting at the wind like a mad man.

Weather conditions:
  • -1 degrees celsius
  • -4 degrees celsius with windchill

Clothing conditions:

Mostly O.K but forgot my gloves.

On the way to work going over the Humber Bridge wasn't too  bad the wind was coming from the east and slightly north so was pushing me along, and it was strong it got my hands pretty bad though but I dealt with it because it wasn't taking long to get through it and out of the most of the wind.

On the way home was a nightmare, the wind that helped so much pushing along in the morning, now conspired to blow me to a halt and it was constant. At one point I had to get off and push the bike. This is where I started shouting at the wind to give me a break. I swear if I'd been out in it longer I would have got frostbite... maybe.

Weather conditions are the same in terms of wind. I drove today :( hopefully the wind will die down tomorrow so I can cycle.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
I made a couple little changes to the stock build, specifically getting a 11-28 rear cassette instead of a 12-32.
Nice, although SD must be flatter than I thought...I certainly appreciate the 34-32 combination around here!

I actually went in for a full fit on Friday and between the fit, new stem, new saddle, shoe inserts, aerobars...came out just over $500, which was a big OUCH but should be a LOT less ouch on long rides.

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
It's supposed to hit 7C today! I ditched the winter riding pants for the ride in to work and it felt really good. I kept the heavy gloves but I was sweating too much in them so I'm gonna keep them in my pannier on the ride home. I can't wait until I can ditch my balaclava.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
Nice, although SD must be flatter than I thought...I certainly appreciate the 34-32 combination around here!

I actually went in for a full fit on Friday and between the fit, new stem, new saddle, shoe inserts, aerobars...came out just over $500, which was a big OUCH but should be a LOT less ouch on long rides.
San Diego sure as shit ain't flat, my commute when I lived there had ~1000' feet of climbing each way. Depends on your route, though.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »

No, it's not flat :-) But I was riding my 52/42 12-25 up the same hills so 50/34 11-28 gives me plenty of low gear options for grades up to 12% (I haven't run into anything steeper). When I first started I had to walk up a lot of hills, but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
It's supposed to hit 7C today! I ditched the winter riding pants for the ride in to work and it felt really good. I kept the heavy gloves but I was sweating too much in them so I'm gonna keep them in my pannier on the ride home. I can't wait until I can ditch my balaclava.

I ditched my face mask for the 6:00 am ride in this morning since it was only 0.  Wind was in my face, which made my nose and eyes run too much, but otherwise it was very comfortable.  I'm definably looking forward to the toasty warm ride home tonight, as I'm sure you are!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
Confession time.

I bought a bike! Not only did I but a bike, I bought a *new* bike. Not a new to me be, a brand spanking new bike from my LBS. Not just any local bike shop, but the fancy bike shop in the spendy part of town! Did I need to? No. Did I want to? Yes.

How did I choose it? Well, in essence I let it choose me. I got a professional fit done on a guru dfu machine http://www.runningawaymultisport.com/the-guru-dynamic-fit-unit/ it took about 2 hours of pedaling, adjusting, pedaling, adjusting to get it all dialed in. A $200 operation in all, refunded if you end up buying a bike from them, which I did. They then take all your measurements: seat height, knee position, reach, etc. and overlay it onto their bike options.

I had a few options from them and I ended up choosing the Felt Z85 61cm (I'm 6'4''). http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

Do I recommend that you do this? No, not if you don't want to. Is there a huge difference getting a bike fit, yes actually it has made a difference on how my knees feel. However, this is mostly due to them changing the cleat position on my shoes drastically.

Anyway, all told I spent $1,800 on a bike. Certainly not frugal, but I'm happy.

No shame there, since it sounds like you thought it through. I've always thought the MMM way is "save a bunch of money on the stupid stuff so you can splurge occasionally on quality items that will improve your life"

My bike (used) was about the same cost as yours and I'm very glad I bought it. I use it more than any other belonging.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
This was my first week doing a partial commute by bike.  It's too far for me to commute at this point - I simply don't have the endurance.  So I'm driving part way and biking the rest. 

I was aiming for 4 days this week but my car window broke in the down position on Wednesday so I only biked 3 days this week.  It was bitter cold here this morning but I successfully ignored the litany of reasons why I didn't really, really bike today.  I did go a shorter distance (which turned out to be very wise) because I don't have gloves that are adequate at that temperature.

PS - I'm on the spreadsheet but not on the summary page...

That's how I got started too! I have a hill in my commute that I couldn't even ride up when I started commuting. I'd pull over and catch my breath. It's amazing how your body will change (improve) to adapt to the bike commute. Now (5 years later) I ride up that hill without even thinking about it.

I added your name to the summary page.

Yossarian33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2013, 06:33:04 AM »
Added myself. I know it's literally the end of the month, but hopefully that means I'll be on the April spreadsheet automatically. I believe I did everything correctly (Sum of my total miles with a reference to that cell in the main page next to my name).

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »
Nice StashinIt, sounds like you'll probably be racking up some solid miles next month with that new bike! Did you go the Moment cycle sport?? I've been looking into that for their bike fitting. I'm making a stash of the money saved on my bike commuting to buy a new road bike. Plus, I figure a new, good bike that fits you perfectly and will last decades is worth the investment, and under $2000 I think is very reasonable for that. You could save that in a couple years easy just by commuting, plus it's a hobby so win win.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
Here's the April spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edHhoODJ3MllkaHJVaU5PczY0aUtXY3c&usp=sharing

I'll start a new thread. Looks like MMM just put up an article about not driving in April. Hopefully we can get a bunch of new signups!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
Nice StashinIt, sounds like you'll probably be racking up some solid miles next month with that new bike! Did you go the Moment cycle sport?? I've been looking into that for their bike fitting. I'm making a stash of the money saved on my bike commuting to buy a new road bike. Plus, I figure a new, good bike that fits you perfectly and will last decades is worth the investment, and under $2000 I think is very reasonable for that. You could save that in a couple years easy just by commuting, plus it's a hobby so win win.

Yes sir, Moment cycle sport. ;-)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
Here's the new April thread:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/anti-automobile-april-biking-challenge!!/

Happy April! Hope you don't get fooled.

ptbobiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
I've added myself to the spreadsheet but not to the summary.  Can someone please do this for me.

Thanks

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
I've added myself to the spreadsheet but not to the summary.  Can someone please do this for me.

Thanks

added you to the summary of the april spreadsheet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!