Author Topic: March Biking Challenge!  (Read 20314 times)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
March Biking Challenge!
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »
Happy March!  Ladies and Gentlemen, start your leg engines, 'cause it's time for this month's biking challenge!

Last month we had 32 riders and a collective 3,750 miles (6,036 km)! That's over 117 miles per person!

Our cumulative mileage has topped 18,320 miles (29,484 km), the equivalent of going from New York to Sydney and back again.

Big ups to new rider Dwayne who came out of nowhere and racked up over 550 miles last month.

But of course it's not about logging the most miles, it's about getting out there and doing your best. So have fun this month and ride safe!

Here's the new spreadsheet for March:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edENEMVh4ZkJEOC1SRm51S0hyWnRwZEE

If you contributed miles to the February challenge, you already have a page on the spreadsheet set up for you. Please let me know if you see any errors on the spreadsheet or need some help getting your name on there (for new riders).

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
Re: March Biking Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:42:42 AM »
Right on Yolfer!  Thanks, and WOW - we're collectively badass!  That is almost $4,000 savings in gas alone (at $1.3 per liter in Canada) - with a semi-Mustachian car (10L/100km)!  Huge amounts of carbon reduction and untold (months?) of cumulative extended and healthy lifespan! 

I passed a guy biking today (rare in Ottawa winter - especialy since we just had a huge snowstorm) who had a giant mustache.  I wonder if he was Mustachian?  Maybe we need a sign?  Kinda like the VW movement?  What could it be? 

tomb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
Hi - could you add me, please?

March is starting rough for me (relative to where I live, which is Atlanta).  It's only 35 degrees which is a rarity for Atlanta in March...

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
Hi
Am not sure how to add myself, but want to try !
merci,

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:10:32 AM »
Thank you! This gives me extra motivation to bike every possible day.

Happy March riding everyone.

Dwayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »
March is starting rough for me (relative to where I live, which is Atlanta).  It's only 35 degrees which is a rarity for Atlanta in March...

With the right clothing you can be toasty warm. This morning was very pleasant!
<- Commutes from Smyrna to downtown Atlanta :)

tomb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
With the right clothing you can be toasty warm. This morning was very pleasant!
<- Commutes from Smyrna to downtown Atlanta :)

It ended up not being that bad - except for my toes.  That's probably my fault, since I wore wool socks but then just put on converse sneakers on top!

(Of course I only go ~5 miles through downtown, not all the way from Smyrna!)

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
tomb and psychomoustache, you're both added to the spreadsheet. Let's get rolling!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
So I'm getting the itch for a new bike and wanted to run it by you mustachian cyclists. Here's my rationale.

1) I'm starting to ride a lot for fun and fitness.
2) My current bike does not fit correctly. I need to raise both the seat and the handlebars higher than the steam and seat-post can safely go.
3) When I'm riding in a group everyone else is shifting quicker and more often because of my downtube shifters.
4) Going from a 30lb bike to a 20lb bike would be nice.

I've already found myself browsing craigslist to see if the right bike comes along. I would keep my current bike as a commuter and use the new bike for fun. I believe I can afford it based on most mustachian measures, but feel free to test me on this. Thoughts?

squashroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
I believe I can afford it based on most mustachian measures, but feel free to test me on this. Thoughts?

If the bike doesn't fit you are going to end up spending money on parts to make it fit, and will prob still end up w/ a sub-optimal ride.  If you feel you should afford it go ahead and get one.  Test ride a bunch at your local bike shop(s) to nail down exactly what you like.

You mentioned you are riding for fun and fitness (not for errands or work?), if so this purchase would not offset any vehicular expenses: add that to your decision process.
With the exception of investments, I have never regretted NOT making a purchase. :/   

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
Multiple ways to go here.  A few suggestions, in order of cost:

By far the cheapest road bikes are nice older steel frames with good period components.  I picked up this ~20 year old Paramount for $300, sold the original parts with another frame, put on about $300 worth of used Campy parts, and probably had ~$400 in it.  20 lbs, beautiful shifting, rode like a dream.

Next, older "modern era" bikes; aluminum frames are cheap now as they're out of fashion.  9 speed Ultegra and DA drivetrains last forever (just replace consumables like cassettes and chains), they're light, they ride fine.  My cross bike is a $100 Nashbar special frame, SRAM drivetrain from another bike, total cost about $400.

If you want to step up a bit in price, older titanium frames are as close to a "buy it for life" item as you can get in cycling.  No rust or paint worries, beautiful ride, lightweight.  I have about $1500 in this titanium road bike (half of that in the S&S couplers, which save $600 in luggage fees per trip!) and it's been all over the world with me.  This picture was taken in a small village near Madrid, Spain.

I don't recommend piecing a bike together from components unless you already have multiple bikes; it's more profitable to go the other way (i.e., buy complete bikes and sell pieces).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »

This is poor logic.  You have to remember, in the end all bikes weigh the same:
- A 30lb bike needs a 1 lb lock
- A 20lb bike needs an 11lb lock
- A 10lb bike needs a 21lb lock

:P

Dwayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
So I'm getting the itch for a new bike and wanted to run it by you mustachian cyclists. Here's my rationale.

2) My current bike does not fit correctly. I need to raise both the seat and the handlebars higher than the steam and seat-post can safely go.
3) When I'm riding in a group everyone else is shifting quicker and more often because of my downtube shifters.

I've already found myself browsing craigslist to see if the right bike comes along. I would keep my current bike as a commuter and use the new bike for fun. I believe I can afford it based on most mustachian measures, but feel free to test me on this. Thoughts?

What's your price range? How good are you with a wrench? Can you adjust derailleurs and brakes? If so, you might also consider something from bikesdirect.com, here are their road bikes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
Next, older "modern era" bikes; aluminum frames are cheap now as they're out of fashion.  9 speed Ultegra and DA drivetrains last forever (just replace consumables like cassettes and chains), they're light, they ride fine.  My cross bike is a $100 Nashbar special frame, SRAM drivetrain from another bike, total cost about $400.

If you want to step up a bit in price, older titanium frames are as close to a "buy it for life" item as you can get in cycling.  No rust or paint worries, beautiful ride, lightweight.  I have about $1500 in this titanium road bike (half of that in the S&S couplers, which save $600 in luggage fees per trip!) and it's been all over the world with me.  This picture was taken in a small village near Madrid, Spain.

I was thinking a "older 'modern era' bikes" type, but a BIFL type ti  bike wasn't on my radar. I'll have to think about it, thanks!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »

This is poor logic.  You have to remember, in the end all bikes weigh the same:
- A 30lb bike needs a 1 lb lock
- A 20lb bike needs an 11lb lock
- A 10lb bike needs a 21lb lock

:P

That is some rock solid logic right there! :-D

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
I believe I can afford it based on most mustachian measures, but feel free to test me on this. Thoughts?
You mentioned you are riding for fun and fitness (not for errands or work?), if so this purchase would not offset any vehicular expenses: add that to your decision process.
With the exception of investments, I have never regretted NOT making a purchase. :/

There lies the the great debate! What am I trying to do? Either be a utility cyclist, a fun/sport cyclist, or both? I think the miles I've put down in previous challenges speak for themselves. I've been adding fun/fitness rides at the expense of utility miles. If i'm just going to work and back my bike is more than adequate, maybe a little small but comfort does not really come into play under 20 miles IMHO.

Anyway, punch me in the face for thinking about turning a money making machine into an expense/hobby. If I deserve it ;-).

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
What's your price range? How good are you with a wrench? Can you adjust derailleurs and brakes? If so, you might also consider something from bikesdirect.com, here are their road bikes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

Well I've been doing this 6 months now and am only as good with the wrench as the problems I've encountered so far. I've had a number of issues with my wheels (blowing spokes) that I've attempted to fix myself but I ended up taking it to the LBS for a wheel true and haven't had any problems since.

In regards to price range, I have a decent stash http://imgur.com/Jjbctxw (+130k property, +50kish not shown) but didn't get it buying retail. $800 maybe?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:09:35 PM by StashinIt »

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 03:45:34 PM »
I look forward to contributing to this thread! I'll be commuting to work (25 mile round trip), hopefully everyday. I'm still waiting to get my bike back though after breaking my chainring o.O, but once I really look forward to getting some solid riding underway.

Great thread!

squashroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Anyway, punch me in the face for thinking about turning a money making machine into an expense/hobby. If I deserve it ;-).

no face punching here.  I suppose another way to look at it would be: are you forgoeing a gym membership since yer getting all this exercise on the bike?
It'd be really hard to fault you for having a healthy hobby that requires a relatively low amount of money--

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »

no face punching here.  I suppose another way to look at it would be: are you forgoeing a gym membership since yer getting all this exercise on the bike?
It'd be really hard to fault you for having a healthy hobby that requires a relatively low amount of money--

Actually I do have gym membership I personally rarely use. We got a Y membership after our baby was born so my wife could recover from her pregnancy. With the family membership option ($81 monthly vs $50 monthly) we get up to 2 hours of baby watch a day. My wife is a stay at home mom now and really values the chance to get her time in to work out without having to worry about the baby. She also likes the group classes they offer. There is no contract so we can cancel if we don't use it.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »

Well I've been doing this 6 months now and am only as good with the wrench as the problems I've encountered so far. I've had a number of issues with my wheels (blowing spokes) that I've attempted to fix myself but I ended up taking it to the LBS for a wheel true and haven't had any problems since.

In regards to price range, I have a decent stash http://imgur.com/Jjbctxw (+130k property, +50kish not shown) but didn't get it buying retail. $800 maybe?

$800 can definitely buy more bike than you need.  And don't be too quick to dismiss bikesdirect.  They have some pretty high quality bikes that are in a similar price range to used bikes of other brands.  I ride a Motobecane that I bought for $250 used (+$50 shipping) on ebay, and it kicks ass.  Even new they are only in the $600 range.  IMHO unless you are going to get into hardcore racing, the difference between Tiagra and Ultegra components isn't really worth wasting the extra money.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
Okay, added a tab for myself, but have no idea how the master summary is set up, so going to leave that for someone else :)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
Okay, added a tab for myself, but have no idea how the master summary is set up, so going to leave that for someone else :)

Done! Welcome!

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »
I can't wait to bike to work this month!

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Hey Yolfer, I added a tab for myself but I'm not sure how to link it to the master. Can you please link it for me?

Thanks!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
Hey Yolfer, I added a tab for myself but I'm not sure how to link it to the master. Can you please link it for me?

Thanks!

done.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »

Well scratch this idea. Had a long conversation with Mrs. StashinIt and we agreed I need to be home more on the weekends to give her help with the baby.

kt

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »
count me in :) just got access to a bike again and had forgotten how much i love cycling though i'm rather out of shape.
i've added a tab but could someone add me to the master list? thanks

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »
count me in :) just got access to a bike again and had forgotten how much i love cycling though i'm rather out of shape.
i've added a tab but could someone add me to the master list? thanks

All set, welcome!

We now have 40 participants! Awesome!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:50:22 AM by StashinIt »

Angie55

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Can you add me also? I don't know how many miles I'll rack up since it snowed today. I've set my unofficial morning temperature to be 38-40F before I'll jump on the bike. But if I'm accountable maybe I'll go a few more.

Not so much doing it to save gas but I just am way less stressed when I ride. Hopefully selling my car this spring to move to work on debt payoff.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 02:43:41 AM »
Once I'm back fighting fit, i'll be back in the saddle. Feel crap that I've had flu and not been able to get on the bike for over two weeks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »
-18 with the windchill this morning.  Also, according to the weather network I get to fight a headwind coming to work, then fight another headwind coming home.  To hell with you, winter!

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:47 AM »
GuitarStv, that's amazing.  How long is your commute?

I'm currently sitting in my house, procrastinating riding to work; it's 32 which would be nice and warm to you right now but I'm making excuses for leaving later to let it warm up some.. I need to get with it!

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Flunking here- sinusitis has made me a wimpyass at least for the beginning of this week  : ( !!
But the month has just begun, n'est-ce-pas...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »
This is awesome.  I didn't even realize there was a challenge.  I'm planning on riding my bike to work on Friday for the first time.  8 miles each way.  Went for a 14 miler on Sunday, so I figure that 8 is absolutely doable!  And fuck the weather, I'm gonna ride no matter what this Friday.  Added myself to the spreadsheet.  I've been biking to my gym 2x per week (5 miles total each trip) unless my wife and I are doing a trade off.  Haven't gone this week yet though, but will be glad to add it in!  Thanks for putting this all together.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »

I'm currently sitting in my house, procrastinating riding to work; it's 32 which would be nice and warm to you right now but I'm making excuses for leaving later to let it warm up some.. I need to get with it!

18 and a bit km (about 11 miles) each way . . .

It probably sounds worse than it actually is, -18 C was with the windchill.  It was only -10 if you don't factor in the headwind.        :P

My biggest dilemma is dressing the legs:
- Naked under ski-pants with side vents fully open      OR
- Long johns under track pants

Somehow the one is always too warm, and the other always too cold.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

Actually I do have gym membership I personally rarely use. We got a Y membership after our baby was born so my wife could recover from her pregnancy. With the family membership option ($81 monthly vs $50 monthly) we get up to 2 hours of baby watch a day. My wife is a stay at home mom now and really values the chance to get her time in to work out without having to worry about the baby. She also likes the group classes they offer. There is no contract so we can cancel if we don't use it.

If you're not using the family option, why don't you let your wife go to the gym and you watch the baby instead?  31 bucks a month is pretty great savings.  372 saved over the year could get you a newer bike too...

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
If you're not using the family option, why don't you let your wife go to the gym and you watch the baby instead?  31 bucks a month is pretty great savings.  372 saved over the year could get you a newer bike too...

During the day when I am at work.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »

During the day when I am at work.

Maybe she can go at night?  I think those classes run all day.  My wife and I also have a baby and we either trade her off at the gym.  Or tonight, I got home, changed, and rode my bike to the gym and got back showered, and the. My wife went to the gym while I bathed the baby and got her to sleep (or at least am trying to get to sleep!).  Also, does the baby watching at the Y require the family membership?

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
Maybe she can go at night?  I think those classes run all day.  My wife and I also have a baby and we either trade her off at the gym.  Or tonight, I got home, changed, and rode my bike to the gym and got back showered, and the. My wife went to the gym while I bathed the baby and got her to sleep (or at least am trying to get to sleep!).  Also, does the baby watching at the Y require the family membership?

All this is true. Yes, our Y requires a family membership to get the baby watch. It's an optional expense for sure, but it's nice to get some accessible childcare during the day and nice facilities to work out. Especially since we don't have family in the area. We plan to keep the membership through the end of may (5 months total, we got all the bs joining fees waived, and there is no cancellation fee). At that time I'll semi-retire (work for myself) and we'll be moving to Texas (live with my grandparents in their house and provide assisted care). Ok, could go off on a huge tangent here.. ok back to the point. Yes we have the gym membership for a little while, but I'm bound and determined to get my wife and son out on the bikes with me!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 05:34:46 AM »
This weather? Not. A. Fan.

It's giving my knee some needed rest, but I feel all cooped up in the car. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »

That's strange that biking is giving your knees problems.  After knee surgery, they basically throw you on a stationary while you're still bleeding.  There's almost no stress impact on your knee... I guess that there is a lot of wear/tear while riding outside compared to the stationary bike though!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »

That's strange that biking is giving your knees problems.  After knee surgery, they basically throw you on a stationary while you're still bleeding.  There's almost no stress impact on your knee... I guess that there is a lot of wear/tear while riding outside compared to the stationary bike though!

The biking has actually really helped my knee (injury in another sport) overall, I just went more than a few days without stretching . . . .

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:28 AM »

Thanks!

done.

Thanks StashinIt!

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »

18 and a bit km (about 11 miles) each way . . .

It probably sounds worse than it actually is, -18 C was with the windchill.  It was only -10 if you don't factor in the headwind.        :P

My biggest dilemma is dressing the legs:
- Naked under ski-pants with side vents fully open      OR
- Long johns under track pants

Somehow the one is always too warm, and the other always too cold.

I've been wearing a pair of winter running pants all winter that I got from the Running Room from my outdoor running days. I haven't been cold at all on my commute wearing these (a paltry 5 km round trip). I also leave much later than you due to my short trip, about 8:30 am or so. They're not cheap by any means but I get a lot of use out of them so maybe worth a look.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:08 AM »
back in the bike seat.
My distances are Embarrassingly small - the town is TINY like I've said.
1km to work, 1km home. Yesterday, made three trips (come home for lunch)

today - two trips planned

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:06 AM »
Bam.  Rode my bike to work for the first time.  8.7 miles.  Snowing out too!  Fingers were cold even though I had on two pair of gloves.  The outer ones will not be my first choice next time.  Feet were a little cold but I know my shoes aren't warm ever, so again, my fault.  Only saw one asshole today too!  He gunned it past me on  hill when there was about 8 cars stopped behind a school bus at the bottom.  After speeding past me he then had to slam on his breaks and fishtailed and almost hit the person in front of him!  I just moseyed along ignoring him.

Towards the end, I'm stopped at a light and a guy puts his window down and says "You're really toughing it up today!  Good for you!"

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
OK since the sinusitis cleared up, on Wednesday - rode back and forth to work 3 times (only 1km from my house!!) Thursday, 1 RT, and yesterday Friday, rode "all the way" to my group therapy gig about 2km from my house in addition to 1RT to my office, and back from the group to the office to home.

The distances are Piddly. Totally. But - Wednesday and Friday were completely No Car Days, which small as it seems I think is really cool.

I guess I'm up to...maybe 10 or 12 km... like 7 or 8 miles for the whole week? Distances in France are very Piddly in general. So much the better  ; )

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
It's probably been a year since I've ridden my bike, but decided today was the day to make the move.  Rode 8 miles roundtrip over the god-forsaken Queensboro Bridge (that is one steep mother) to a buddy's house, instead of taking the subway, to watch my Hoyas beat up on the Syracuse Orange. 

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
It's right at freezing and we got some awful mixed precip yesterday and overnight, so I'm wimping out and getting on the trainer for this morning. Do we have consensus on counting/not counting that? (I'm leaning towards not...)