Author Topic: Make Yourself a Better Person  (Read 2172 times)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
Make Yourself a Better Person
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
I stumbled across this article on Cracked for the second or third time today and was motivated enough by it to share.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

So the Gauntlet being thrown down:
What are you doing in 2016 to make yourself a better person and benefit others?

I'm learning to weld. I would like to be able to fabricate exhaust systems eventually, but in 2015 I made decorative pieces for family and friends and in 2016 would like to further hone this skill and potentially sell my wares.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: Make Yourself a Better Person
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
But I'm already a bitter per-, oh, sorry, I misread the title.

scraggly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Hmm. First time poster, but fuck it, I'm drunk and my family is boring. I'm gonna:

Learn to build a website from the ground up (right now, I can only make parts to contribute to what other people have done). I will achieve this by creating a slick website to display my future portfolio, and publishing it online.

learn how cars work inside and out. I'll either find a book on "how cars work" or use the internet and my own damn brain to ask questions until I truly know. I will then get manuals for my cars and fix every damn problem they have or might have in the future by myself (excluding things that require excessive equipment).

really start making a difference in the future of our planet, by learning how global warming works and how it is known from its scientific fundamentals, by finding a plausible and realistic tactic to combat it long term, and by understanding how to best advocate the implementation of this tactic to my friends, my community, and my government.

Find a place with cheaper rent that is closer to my work, so I can stop screwing myself every morning and every night on my 15 mile rush hour commute.

Actually start investing my 'stash, instead of just letting it sit in my bank account.

Get in awesome shape with a crap ton of boring-ass PT for my knees, and making and sticking to a training plan (including prehab) to improve my climbing. This is the year I'll break into 5.11! Yosemite, Brooks, Patagonia, Baffin - watch yo' asses, I'm comin' for you!

Not all of it exactly on topic, but hey, it's improvement, and maybe it'll keep me honest.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »
I am going to try and reduce my garbage.  For one person, it is incredible how much garbage I generate. So, in 2016, I will try and reduce it as much as I can but, at least, by a third.

Find a cause I can volunteer with and contribute.

Learn a new language.  Maybe, Spanish, still contemplating.

Learn more about investing and get my money working for me.

Keep decluttering until I am happy. I have decluttered at least 70% of my stuff and I still feel I have too much.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!